Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #277
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Saturday, October 5 1996       Volume 01 : Number 277

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 01:26:21 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: STOP admiring your donkey!

Just a reminder to stop standing around admiring your donkey, and get
your Grab-a-Donkey move in.

Malenkai
Wrangler

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 01:49:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 303 (Robin Hood)

tinan declined.

Robin Hood has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 303
  Subject: Wrangled up in Donkey Business
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: this is not a name (declined to judge)
2nd Judge: Robin Hood (selected Oct 4, 1996, 01:53h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

If, in a single round of the game of Grab-a-Donkey, both player A and
player C grab player B's donkey (A, B, and C distinct), and player B
is on the Grab-a-Donkey Active List (GAL), player B will retain their
donkey (and thus remain on the GAL).

Malenkai's Reasoning:

First of all, clause D of R 1276 will not kick in, as its "if clause" is
false in this situation.

I don't really have a strong case for TRUE here, but I do have *a* case.

R 1276, clause C:

> C. If  one player ("A") chose to Grab another player's donkey ("B"), and
> if B did not Cover eir donkey, then B will lose eir donkey and be removed
> from the GAL at the start of the following Round.

This hinges on the rendering of the word "one", and its scope.  If the word
"one" is scoped for an entire round, TRUE is indicated, otherwise FALSE
is.  In this case, 2 players attempted to grab B's donkey in a given
round, therefore, clause C never fires, thus the grabbing actions have
no effect whatsoever, because nothing else is specified in the rules to
handle this case.  Note that whether or not B covered their donkey
matters not in this reading.

Lets look at the FALSE case, and see if the judge has any comments on
this interpretation, if FALSE is returned:

If B covered their donkey, then A thru Z can grab it and nothing will
happen.  If B did not cover their donkey, then B loses it, and is removed
from the GAL next turn, the only question is, who gets the donkey?

I can see an argument for whoever grabbed it first, or whoever grabbed
it last.  I can also see an argument for *both* getting it, but that
case is weak.  My reading indicates the *last* player to grab it gets
it, in this multiple grab senerio.

This is just one of the areas that must be cleaned up in the rewrite.
There are others, I'll leave those to other players to discover (in some
cases they've been discovered), and other CFJs

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 2:00:39 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1311

Proposal 1311 - Fri Oct 04 02:00:39 EDT 1996
Time Zone
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[I want to try this without the strike.  I got 5 votes for 
Central/Eastern US (no preference between the 2, but wanted one
of the 2), and 4 for GMT, and a couple people said we don't really
need or want a time zone.  In any case, we'll see what happens now.  If
GMT makes more sense, then it can be amended.  The argument really
becomes does *any* time zone add value.  I was thinking of proposing
something funky like Newfoundland time, which I believe is -0245 or
something weird, just to make that point.]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule which reads:

A day in Acka starts when the day starts in New York City, USA, and
ends when the day ends there.  This is called the Acka Day.  [That is
to say, the official time zone is EDT(-0400)/EST(-0500)].

Whenever a day of the week, day of the month, or time of day is
specified, in the rules or other official document, and it is not
qualified with a time zone, it shall be said to occur, if it is
a time of day, when that time of day occurs in the Acka Day, and
if a day or date, it shall begin and end when the corresponding Acka
Day begins and ends.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 565 to remove all occurrances of the string "EDT"

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 609 to remove all occurrances of the string " Eastern time"

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1023 to remove all occurrances of the
string "(based on New York Time)".

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1240 to replace the following:
 
"The time zone used for the purposes of this rule is that from which
the announcement was sent, unless Acka should ever have an official
time zone, in which case this rule defers to that of the official time
zone."

with:

""Days" and "dates" as used in this rule are said to begin and end when
the Acka Day begins and ends"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 3:31:35 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1312

Proposal 1312 - Fri Oct 04 03:31:35 EDT 1996
Garments
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule reading:
 
A class of Protected entity known as a Garment exists.  Garments are 
Tradeable, unless the rules for a particular Garment specify otherwise.
Garments may be worn and unworn, and these actions, with respect to
a particular garment, may only be performed by the owner of the Garment.
Only those entities explicitly designated by the rules as Garments are
Garments.

Wearing garments may cause the occurance of specific game effects (as
described in the rules), but these will only occur if the Garment is
being worn.  Owners of Garments must publically announce that they are
wearing or unwearing a Garment, to change the state of the Garment.
Garments are assumed to be unworn in the case of transferrence (with
respect to both the old, and new owner)
 
A player may wear no more than 1 Garment at any one time.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 3:31:47 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1313

Proposal 1313 - Fri Oct 04 03:31:47 EDT 1996
Purple Robe of Justice
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{All extant Purple Robes of Justice are destroyed [pleeeese vote yes
for patent infringement III :)]}}

The Purple Robe of Justice (Robe) has [just] been discovered in the
catacombs beneath the Courthouse.  It is unique, and quite valuable,
and the older it gets, the more valuable it becomes.  The Robe is a
mimsy, non-Tradeable, Garment.

Whoever is wearing the Purple Robe of Justice has their odds of being
selected to judge a CFJ trebled.  This clause takes precedence over
R 588 inasmuch as the random process is affected in the way described
above.

If the owner of the Robe is ever penalized some number of points for 
failing to deliver a verdict on a CFJ, failing to respond to a CFJ, or
for having a CFJ overturned, they immediately lose the priceless Robe,
and it goes Somewhere Else.

The value of the Robe is price that was last paid for it, plus A$15.

Any player (other than the Robe's owner), may buy the Robe, thus 
becoming the new owner, regardless of where it is, provided they pay
its current value to the Treasury, and all of the following are true:

	a) It is not currently being auctioned.
        b) Its current owner, if a player, has had it at least 1 week.
        c) Its current owner is not judging a CFJ.
        d) Its current owner is not a judge-designate for a pending CFJ.

Other rules may designate other ways in which ownership of the Robe may
be transferred.  This rule defers precedence to those, including the fact
that the above conditions need not necessarily be met, unless the other
rule specifies such.  

A player losing ownership of the Robe never receives monetary
compensation for losing it.

{{The Purple Robe of Justice is hereby auctioned in a private auction.
The assistant tabulator is the auctioneer.  The previous sentence takes
precedence over R 1023 in case of a conflict.}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 00:42:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Re: Parade

>Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 09:19:23 -0400
>From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Acka: Parade
>
>Phil Ackley wrote:
>> 
>> On the occasion of his first new rule, I would like to congratulate 
>Habeous
>> Corpus as he leads us in a parade with the Great Trombone of 
>Ackanomic!!!
>
>In accordance with R 1237, I am ordering 2 cokes, and frinking them.  
>Also,
>I am ordering a Bronze Torch, which is a mixture of coke, vodka, and 
>Korte Palinka, a Hungarian Schnopps.  Would the Financier please put
>this on the president's tab?
>
>Malenkai
>frinking coke
>

I will gladly join Malenkai in a frink at the president's expense.  Make
mine  a pint of Guinness

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 00:42:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Re:CFJ 303

>Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 18:37:59 -0400
>From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Acka: CFJ 303 (tinan)
>
>tinan has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>- 
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Call For Judgement 303
>  Subject: Wrangled up in Donkey Business
>Initiator: Malenkai
>    Judge: this is not a name (selected Oct 3, 1996, 18:30h EDT)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>If, in a single round of the game of Grab-a-Donkey, both player A and
>player C grab player B's donkey (A, B, and C distinct), and player B
>is on the Grab-a-Donkey Active List (GAL), player B will retain their
>donkey (and thus remain on the GAL).
>
>Malenkai's Reasoning:
>
<snip>
>
>This is just one of the areas that must be cleaned up in the rewrite. 
>There are others, I'll leave those to other players to discover (in 
>some
>cases they've been discovered), and other CFJs
>
>------------------------------
>
  As the originator of GAD,  I will put in my A$.2 (rounded down).

Malenkai's statement should be judged TRUE.  When I wrote the part
relevant to this CFJ,  I intentionally used the phrase: " If  one player
" instwad of "if any player".  If more than one player attempted to Grab
the same Donkey,  eir lassoes would entangle and it would take em the
rest of the round to uintangle them.  Maybe I should have spelled this
out in that section.

Thousand Pardons,  o Wrangler,
Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 01:14:33 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Frinking Binge Tab (so far) 

>I've had more than enough to frink, but I am curious...
>
>How long does this Public Gathering last?
>
>Guy Fawkes
>

That is a problem, isn't it?

I suggest that this public gathering lasts seven days from time it's
occurance was publically knowable, since that is how long Habeous Corpus
has to post an interesting description of the event.  Other than that, I
would suggest that a public gathering that does not specify an end time
(almost all of them) ends either at the end of the day in which it occured
(gets back to time zones) or after three days (in accordance with game
customs)

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 01:14:36 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction Results 

The auction for the Scroll of Crumble is over, and it's new owner is
Malenkai, who has bid A$121.  Would the financier please note Malenkai's
transfer of funds to the treasury, as well as my A$12 comission?

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 06:17:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Harf

Is it necessary to declare this?  P1309 is not just harfy,  it _is_ Harf.

Habeous Corpus 
Harfmeister

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 08:15:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1311

Sorry for not coming up with this until after there's a proposal out, but 
I didn't think of it until I was falling asleep last night.

I think it combines the definition of a standard time zone for those 
events that need it (the Magic Potato, PF bonds) with the asynchroneity 
that other game aspects can benefit from (the Gumball, *ping*ing). 

The general idea is this:

For situations that say something lasts three days, we do nothing new: 
just keep it at 72 hours from the inital posting.

For events that occur at a specific time, define a time zone -- EST, GMT 
- -- personally, it really doesn't matter for this as long as there is 
one.  If its 2 am in Israel when the Magic Potato needs assigned, no one 
will object if Niccolo doesn't get up to do it.

For events that must be performed on a certain day, they may be peformed 
as long as it is that day somewhere in the world.  This gives an utterly 
non-geographically biased 48-hour window of opportunity.  Nor should 
having two "days of action" in progress at the same time be a problem -- 
we all know when it's legal to chew the gumball, and the machine's *ping* 
contains the intended date right in the action.  Also, this makes it 
easier on those who can't always get to the computer when they need to.

Is this worth writing into RFC?

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 15:57:56 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1311

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> Is this worth writing into RFC?
> 
> Guy Fawkes
>
YES

Niccolo Flychuck

Down with over quoting

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 10:58:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Re P1301

I am retracting P1301 for repairs.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 12:38:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Auction Results

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> The auction for the Scroll of Crumble is over, and it's new owner is
> Malenkai, who has bid A$121.  Would the financier please note Malenkai's
> transfer of funds to the treasury, as well as my A$12 comission?

A$13 commission.

Malenkai
unofficial assistant financier

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 13:07:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1308

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1308 - Thu Oct 03 18:39:44 EDT 1996
> Active Players Revisited
> Mohammed  (Jason Orendorff)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.  [Its only real effect is to leave Players
> inactive when they return from Vacation, until they vote.  Which, I
> think, is how things ought to be done; no point slapping somebody with a
> CFJ judgeship just as they get back from a week in the Bahamas.]

This will be much harder on the CotC.  I run into this problem now,
with new players, and admittedly have just been guessing based on the
player's history, and quantity, if any, of public messages, as it doesn't
come up that often, and it is easy to guess in the new player case.

If this becomes a rule, however, I will not know for 7 days whether they
have voted without asking Wayne, when they come back from vacation.  I
will either have to guess, again based on common sense, or they will not
get any CFJs for 7 days, which seems a bit unnecessary.  I know I want
a CFJ as soon as I come back.  If I am unfamiliar with the law or
custom, I would just decline it.

It seems to me that if others are overwhelmed when they get back, they can
simply decline the CFJ as well.

There are other potential problems.  What if there is a long Festival
in progress when they get back?  They may not be able to establish their
active status for up to 17 days!  That could be bad if they hold a key
office, forget about the CFJ business.

What if everyone goes on vacation at once due to some bug.  Then the
game could crash in some senerio, where no one can reestablish activeness
to distribute proposals, for example (do you have to be active to submit
and redistribute proposals?)

Therefore, I personally ugre a retraction, failing that, voting NO.  I'm
spooked by this need to "reestablish" activeness, especially when we
don't really have a problem in this area now, with respect to vacations.

Respectfully,
Malenkai
Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 14:38:03 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1314

Proposal 1314 - Fri Oct 04 14:38:03 EDT 1996
Handicapping and Glory
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

{{[As Malenkai suggested, I'm trying this again under non-strike 
conditions, with a few clarifications.]}}

Amend R666, section b) to read:

b) All Undead stop hauting all Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed 
Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants.  Then, all Chartreuse Goose Eggs, 
Right-Handed Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants are destroyed.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend R666, section c) to read:

c) The winner is declared winner of the cycle, and a Right-Handed 
Grapefruit and a Champion's Cloak, should such entities be defined by the 
rules, are created in that player's possession.  If this results in his 
having two Champion's Cloaks, one of them is instantly transformed into a 
Badge of Glory, should such an entity be defined by the rules.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend R666, section i) to read:

i) All players' points are reset to -15 N, where N is the number of cycles 
that player has won.  If this causes a player's score to be negative, 
a Victory Eggplant is created in that player's possession.  
Victory Eggplants are Protected, and once created, may not be transferred.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add the following text to the the end of R339:

These score changes do not apply to the owner of a Victory Eggplant.  A 
Victory Eggplant is destroyed if its owner has a non-negative score.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule, entitled "Marks of the Champion," with the following 
as its text:

The types of entities called Champion's Cloaks and Badges of Glory are 
defined by the rules.  Both are Protected, and may not be created except 
as defined in the rules; once created, they cannot be transferred or 
destroyed.  A Champion's Cloak is a regal garment of the color(s) and design 
of its owner's choice, while Badges of Glory are elaborate medals of various 
designs.  (It is customary, though not required, for the owner of either 
of these entities to describe it within 3 days of earning it.)  A player may 
wear a Champion's Cloak and/or Badge of Glory that he owns, and he may 
request to be called, "Exalted One," or the honorific of his choice while he 
wears it/them.  It is not necessary to honor such requests.  If a class 
of entities called Garments exists, they are Garments.

When a player leaves the game, his Undead, should such a thing exist, 
shall haunt any Champion's Cloak or Badge of Glory that he owned.

{{All extant Champion's Cloaks and Badges of Glory are destroyed.  Then, 
all players who have previously won a cycle are awarded a Champion's 
Cloak.  Then, all players who have previously won multiple cycles are 
awarded N-1 Badges of Glory, where N is the number of cycles that he has 
won.  If a player would have just received one or more of the items 
described above had he not left the game, their Undead, if they have 
one, is given the appropriate items to haunt.}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 13:47:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silly Nomic

I found the Pumpkin Patch that HC described.  Its main page is at

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~drwest/reporter.html

Would the Ambassador please visit it and judge whether the Silly Nomic 
harfiness atonement rites should be performed (or did that proposal fail?)

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 21:08:00 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silly Nomic

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> I found the Pumpkin Patch that HC described.  Its main page is at
> 
> http://www-personal.umich.edu/~drwest/reporter.html
> 
> Would the Ambassador please visit it and judge whether the Silly Nomic 
> harfiness atonement rites should be performed (or did that proposal fail?)
> 
> Guy Fawkes
>
Just looked it up myself.
They seem to have gone straight for creating an economy. That alone
warrants some harf. When they mature a bit they could prove a valuable
addition to internomic. 

Niccolo Flychuck

 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 96 16:28:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1315

Proposal 1315 - Fri Oct 04 16:28:04 EDT 1996
Easy Money
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

A new rule shall be created entitled "Easy Money" with the following
text:

- --
If a player posts a message to the public forum containing his intent
to transfer A$ from his own account to another player or players, and
if that message does not specify the transfer of any other entity,
then the trade is accomplished immediately.  This rule defers to any
rule that limits the transfer of A$.
- --

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 19:05:45 -0800 (AKDT)
From: "Phillip R. Ackley" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Forehead

I am removing my Prosthetic Forehead.

Boy is my head sore

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 20:17:51 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Silly Nomic 

>I found the Pumpkin Patch that HC described.  Its main page is at
>
>http://www-personal.umich.edu/~drwest/reporter.html
>
>Would the Ambassador please visit it and judge whether the Silly Nomic
>harfiness atonement rites should be performed (or did that proposal fail?)
>
>Guy Fawkes

Sadly silly nomic failed.  However, I have recently payed a visit to the
residents of the pumpkin patch, and am pleased to announce that they are
not quiet as herfy as us... Yet.  We may have to keep an eye on them
though.  With time they may get as creative with the rest of their rules as
they have with their economy and try and steal some of our harf!

In any event, I have sent them a message of friendly greetings from
Ackanomic as a whole, and forward any replies I recieve to the list.

snowgod
who is still decideng what to do with his donkey

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #277
*******************************