Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #276
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Friday, October 4 1996        Volume 01 : Number 276

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 20:13:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Guy Fawkes for Poet Laureate

Urging Acka to Make the Right Choice

To all my fellow citizens who dwell beneath the Earth:
To all my fellow Ackazens who play with joy and mirth:
Come let me lead us forth in verse infused with harf and glee,
Our land doth need a poet, and that poet, yea, is me!

The Voting Gnome lies in his grave, his corpse uneulogized,
And as we Grab the Donkeys, shall a poem await the prized?
Who shall retell, when time doth swell, the Gaoler's awful verse?
Oh dear, I fear our land appear beneath a horrid curse.

But I now offer hope that the dead not be forgot;
And that each doer of great deeds receives his proper lot.
I shall record our heritage; elect me, you shall see,
Our land doth need a poet, and that poet, yea, is me!

A Limerick of Gratuitous Self-Flattery And Expression of Hopeful 
Overconfidence (or, A Poem Whose Title is Attempting to Be Almost as Long 
as Its Actual Text) 

There once was a poet from Acka
Whose verse naught but nothing did lacka.
Let the people vote Guy
And I'll say, "It is I
Whom all the good citizens backa."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Oct 96 22:37:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1309

Proposal 1309 - Thu Oct 03 22:37:49 EDT 1996
Frinking Straws
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule with the following text:

Living on the underside of the earth has brought many peculiar customs 
to Acka.  Some, like Suction Cups, give a special harfiness to everyday 
life.  Others, like face-down-drinking (frinking) can be a true 
nuissance.  To prevent one's drink from falling out of one's glass into 
the sky, the glass must be held with the mouth facing one's feet.  To 
frink properly requires one to rest the near edge of the glass against 
one's upper lip, opening one's mouth, then carefully bending over and 
letting the liquid flow in over the roof of one's mouth.  While frinking
means that hiccups are virtually unknown in Acka, it has caused more than 
its share of spilt drinks, with a usual result of the beverage flowing 
into one's nostrils, eyes, hair, etc.  This is also a major cause of air 
pollution.

The frinking straw is a long flexible tube.  By inserting one end into a 
beverage and sucking on the other, the owner of a frinking straw may 
frink in relative comfort without the risk of a spilt beverage.  As a 
result, he may frink one more beverage than usual at any public 
gathering.  However, the Frobozz Magic Beverage Company, Ackanomic 
Division, is so impressed by the advanced frinking technique of the straw 
that they charge only 1 A$ for any drink ordered by a straw user.  This 
takes precedence over any frinking limits or prices established in other 
mutable rules.

Frinking straws may be purchased from the Treasury for 1 A$ but since 
they are disposable items, a straw is destroyed at the end of a public 
gathering in which it is used.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 22:34:05 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 302 Verdict

CFJ 302 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 302
  Subject: Interpreting R 1269
Initiator: Niccolo Flychuck
    Judge: IdiotBoy (selected Oct 02, 1996, 20:19h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Tuesday Oct.1 was the first Tuesday when Swinger received points according
to R1269 "Newton, Apples, and Parties"

Niccolo Flychuck's Reasoning:

This is simply something I'd like to have resolved. I can reason this
either with or without  the self-deleting text.
First, with the self-deleting text in the proposal:
This is what the self-deleting text states.

Now, without:
The rule states that every two weeks on Tuesday, Swingers will be awarded
points. Therefore, whenever Tuesday occurs, and points have not been
given, in accordance with this rule, for two weeks, this must be the
Tuesday on which points are given.
(this has nothing to do with the fact that no points were actually given.
All Swingers had zero Weight, and points are given only for Swingers with
non-zero Weights. This was the boundary condition that R1116 did not take
into consideration, and which caused what was probably the worst bug in
it - real incentive to leave the King off-board.)

IdiotBoy's Reasoning:

Either with or without the self deleting text, I can see no reason why
Tuesday, October 1st could not be the first date on which Swingers recieved
their rewards.

Given that if I were to return a verdict of FALSE, the matter would still be
much in dispute (forgive my hyperbole, I'm building up the the big judicial
activism push), I return a verdict of TRUE.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 22:43:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Frinking Binge Tab (so far)

So far, snowgod's tab appears to be:

Non-alchoholic : 6 @ 1 =  6
Beer, wine,... : 2 @ 2 =  4
Mixed drinks   : 7 @ 3 = 21

Game custom indicates that the Blazing Camel is a mixed drink.  
A$31 so far.

Malenkai
unofficial assistant financier

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 22:12:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frinking Binge Tab (so far)

I've had more than enough to frink, but I am curious...

How long does this Public Gathering last?

Guy Fawkes

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> So far, snowgod's tab appears to be:
> 
> Non-alchoholic : 6 @ 1 =  6
> Beer, wine,... : 2 @ 2 =  4
> Mixed drinks   : 7 @ 3 = 21
> 
> Game custom indicates that the Blazing Camel is a mixed drink.  
> A$31 so far.
> 
> Malenkai
> unofficial assistant financier
> 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 23:14:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Frinking Binge Tab (so far)

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> I've had more than enough to frink, but I am curious...
> 
> How long does this Public Gathering last?

Who knows, but I've submitted a proposal to make drinks for sale
3 days only.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Oct 96 23:47:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1310

Proposal 1310 - Thu Oct 03 23:47:50 EDT 1996
Hangover Prevention
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend R 1237 in the following ways:

1) Add the following text to the end of second paragraph.

"The drinks must be ordered within three days of the start of the
public gathering.  If another public gathering starts within
three days of a previous one, drinks may no longer be ordered for
the previous one."

2) Replace the first occurrance of the word "metal" in the rule with the
word "medal".

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 22:10:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: plea

Thanks to the good offices of Doug Chatham,  whom I met in Fantasy Rules
Committee,  I have been introduce to a couple of new Nomics.  One of
them,  PandeNomic,  has not even started yet due to a lack of players. 
If any of you would like to help start a fresh nomic,  and feel you have
the time,  check out the WWW Nomic Bulletin Board.

I would not like to see these games flounder for a lack of participation.
 They look like very interesting games with a lot of potential.  Pumpkin
Patch Nomic has the audacity to try to be Harfier than we.  And if they
do not die a premature death,  they might make it.  They have a unique
type of ruleset.  For instance,  repealed rules are not removed from the 
ruleset.  Unfortunately,  miuch of the meat of the game has been
repealed,  temporarily I'm told,  due to a lack of anyone to handle it. 
Like a said,  a premature death...

Anyway,  they are both very interesting nomics to visit.  Even though
PandeNomic has not yet started,  and I haven't seen the initial ruleset
yet,  the originator's web page has a number of interesting Nomic links.

Thank you all for letting me rant on,  I'll go back to my hole now where
I'm working on the Ultimate Doomsday Gadget.  If only i could find a way
to sneak a few pounds of Trilithium past ackanomic Customs...

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 04 Oct 1996 00:51:53 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Quotes

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> RFC: Quotes

> Create a new rule reading:

[...]

I would personally prefer that the new rule be added to the rule
"What is a rule change?" (a better title of which might be "Proposals
and Rule Changes").

Otherwise it makes sense.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #276
*******************************