Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #273
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, October 2 1996      Volume 01 : Number 273

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:09:58 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Official - new player (mentor:Bascule)

We have a new player in the game.
His is Jacob Kanafoski.
He has chosen the Ackanomic name PapaSmurf
his e-mail is [email-masked]
and Bascule has been chosen to be his mentor (I did see a 'back from
vacation message from Bascule, didn't I?)

Following is PapaSmurf's reply to the poll question:

"
I got it from the nomic FAQ which I learned about from Arcadium (Web 
Page) which I read about when I hit the little What's Cool button on 
my browser which appeared when I clicked on the netscape icon on the 
screen which I turned on when I came in from the computer 
lab......... [deleted for brevity].... shortly after I was born, 
because my parents were horndogs and Eastern European Catholics with 
an aversion to contraception. 

"

We welcome him to Ackanomic

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 00:17:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Official

Financier:  Please note the transfer of A$75 from Habeous Corpus to
Malenkai

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:09:02 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Duels

I've resubmitted Duels.
I believe its failure may have been due to the strike. I added subsection
k to the last clause to provide for the rare case where both players
involved in the Duel might go on Vacation simultaneouly. 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 01:46:45 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Internomic: P307 vote 

On the matter of Proposal 307, Ackanomic votes against

snowgod
Liason

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 01:53:52 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Ambassador: No relly all that official 

Attached is a message which was posted to the internomic list, and it got
me thinking about the problems that _are_ going to develop in internomic
based in differences in existing game custom in different nomics.

This is not all that serios of a problem, in this particular case, but
should be noted anyhow.  We may, as a nomic, want to work towards averting
future "Game Custom Crises" if anyone can think of a good way.

snowgod
who is really too tired to think

>Sender: [email-masked]
>Precedence: bulk
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>From: Steve Gardner <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: Judgement of CFJ 101
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 18:47:53 +1000 (EST)
>Mime-Version: 1.0
>
>Andre Engels writes:
>>
>>Imperial Nomic 14 has Judged TRUE on Judgement 101. There are 2 new
>>Proposals.
>>
>>======================================================================
>>
>>Judgement 101
>>Initiator: Ackanomic
>>Judge: Imperial Nomic 14
>>Judgement: TRUE
>>
>>Statement:
>>
>>     Proposal 306 was accepted.
>>
>>Initiator's Comments:
>>
>>     Rule 209 tells us that:
>>
>>          A proposal passes if and only if all votes cast on it are in
>>          favor.
>>
>>     Proposal 306 recieved three votes. The nomics of Ackanomic, Agora, and
>>     Fascist 14 all voted FOR. Thring abstained, and therefore did not
>>     *cast* a vote. The only possible interpretation that the rules allow
>>     tells us that P306 was accepted.
>>
>>Judge's Comment:
>
>Hm. First of all, I'd like to discourage Judges from delivering Judgements
>without comment. Perhaps the Judge felt no comment was necessary. I disagree.
>While the Judgement is acceptable, the Initiator's Comments are in my
>opinion incorrect, and should have been responded to. It is quite simply
>false to assert, without qualification, that abstention is equivalent
>to not casting a vote. It may well be that Thring did not cast a vote,
>and therefore, in some sense, abstained. But what would the Judge have
>said if the Thring Ambassador had sent a message to the Speaker announcing
>that Thring Nomic was abstaining? Would that have counted as casting a
>vote? In Agora Nomic, it certainly would - we distinguish between not
>voting and actively abstaining. Abstentions count toward Quorum, for
>example. I'm not suggesting that we should adopt such a system here.
>If we wish to establish a judicial precedent in InterNomic that abstention
>is equivalent to not voting, then so be it. But a Judge delivering such a
>Judgement might have considered that this is what e is doing.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 03:10:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1272 Fails

> Malenkai,
> I don't know if you missed it or not, anyway, I've posted before my
> prefference for GMT. My reasoning has nothing to do with officers'
> locations. I believe that reasoning to be weak, because officers
> change. My prefference for GMT comes simply from the fact that usually,
> that information is the  e-mail header, and it makes for the quickest
> coversions.
> I think that if we have an official time-zone, it might be a convenient
> one, within the context of the medium the game takes place in.

Forgive me for posting a "me too" response, but I gotta say, "Me too."
If my own time zone isn't an option, then GMT is definitely my next
choice.

b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:25:09 BST
From: R Shaw <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: another straw poll 

> Guy Fawkes wrote:
> > 
> > Acka seems to be going down a bit of a sub-game path, so I'm sending this
> > to guage personal tastes:
> > 
> > which of the following sorts of games do you enjoy:
> > 
> > 1. word games
> > 2. games of luck
> > 3. games of luck/skill
> > 4. games of pure strategy
> > 5. games of logical reasoning
> > 6. trivia
> > 7. anything else (I'm tired now and don't have time to think of any others)

Trivia could be awkward. The questions would have to be without national
bias. I'd prefer any but 2.
  It might be possible to use web games set up by external agencies.
Crosswords are goodbut it would be easier to compete on some
newspaper's than to have one of us design one.

      Robin Hood

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 06:47:33 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Financial

>I am transferring A$50 to Habeous Corpus assuming he acks the
transaction.

>Also, sorry to repeat this but has the financier noted the bond trade
>between Mohammed and myself?  [at this point snowgod bows humbly and
begs
>forgivness for the confusion surrounding this transaction]

>snowgod

I ack the transaction.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 09:06:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: another straw poll

>   It might be possible to use web games set up by external agencies.
> Crosswords are goodbut it would be easier to compete on some
> newspaper's than to have one of us design one.
	All crosswords are culturally biased.  I agree having Ackanomic 
players design a crossword would be "less easy"... in fact I think it 
would be completely impossible.  I very seriously doubt that any current 
players have the particular kind of genius required to generate a standard
crossword (rotationally symmetrical, with every letter used in two words and 
every word having at least three letters) of decent size (say, eleven by 
thirteen).
	Being a word freak I have managed to churn out a grand total of 
one crossword grid during my life, a pitiful 10x8 attempt with about 2 
dozen three-letter words.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:24:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1302

Proposal 1302 - Wed Oct 02 11:24:13 EDT 1996
Duels
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. Any player who feels offended by another player, or is engaged in a 
heated discussion with another player, may challenge that player to a
duel, subject to the limitations described below.

2. The procedure for challenging is as follows:
  The Challenging player finds another players who agrees to be eir
Second. The Challenger gives eir Second the name of the player e wishes to
Challenge, and the reason for the Challenge. The Second posts a public
message, which anounces the name of the Challenging player, the name of
the Challenged player, the reason for the Challenge, and the fact that a
Challenge has been made.
The Chalenged player has four days to find a player who agrees to
be eir Second and have the Second respond to the message publically. The 
message should contain the following information: The fact that that the 
post is a reply to a Challenge, the Challenge it is a reply to, and a
Contest chosen by the Challenged player for the Duel, or an explicit 
waiver of the privilege of choosing the contest. If there 
is no response to the Challenge within the four days,  or the Challenged 
player declines the Challenge, then he is considered
to have forefeit the Duel. In this case, the Challenged player loses 6
points, and the Challenging player gains 6 points.

The Game or Contest chosen fot the Duel must be one listed on the Games &
Contests web page, or must be described in this rule; moreover, it must
be playable by two players and have definitive rules for determining a
winner.
The Challenged player may explicitly waive the privilege of choosing a
Contest, in which case the Challenging player may choose a Contest.
However, if the response to the Challenge message includes neither a
choice of Contest, nor an explicit message to the effect that the
Challenged player has waived the privilege of first choice, then the
Challenged player is considered to have forfeit the Duel. In this case e
loses 6 points and the Challenging players gains 6 points.

If the Challenged's Player has accepted the Duel, then the President has
the duty to anounce that a Duel will be taking place between the
Challenged player and the Challenging player who will be competing against
each other in the specified Game or Contest, and that the the winner of
the Game or Contest will be the winner of the Duel. If the Presidents is
invloved in the Duel, then this duty becomes the duty of a Senator whose 
name comes first in alphaebetical order from among the Senators who are 
not involved in the Duel.

When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points in 
addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the 
Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to any 
rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest itself.
The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second loses 3 points.

The results of the Duel have no other direct influence over Ackanomic. 
However if either the Challenger or the Challenged have committed 
themselves in a public message to a certain action depending on the 
results of the Duel, then they must perform that action. Should they fail 
to perform that action, it is the duty of the Second of the other player 
taking part in the Duel to call CFCJ against that player. Any other 
player may do so as well.

3. Contests:
A. Limerick Contest:
  Each of the participants in the duel writes a limerick about the other
participant. The limerick may be silly, funny, and even ridicule the other
participant in a good-humored manner, as long as it is not offensive. The
limericks no more than five days after the Challenge has been publically
anounced. If one of the participants fails to post a limerick, then the
other wins by default. Once both limericks have been posted, there is a
four-day voting period. During the voting period all Players may send
their votes to their tabulator, indicating which limerick is the better
one. The participant whose limerick got the most votes, wins the duel. In
case of a tie, the participant whose limerick was posted first wins the
duel.

B. Boolean tic-tac-toe: {{[I did not invent this one, so save your
praises]}}
(i) The game of Boolean tic-tac-toe, heretofore known as Bttt is played on
a 3x3 grid labeled in the following manner

a  b  c
d  e  f
g  h  i

(ii) At the begining of the game on participant is randomly chosen to
play the role of T, the other participant plays the role of F. The former
is known as the T-players, the latter is known as the F-player.
(iii)
  (a) The symbol ! is the NOT symbol.
  (b) The follwoing comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to T
       !F,!3F,!2T
  (c) The following comma-delimited symbols are equivalent to F
       !T,!3T,!2F
   (d) every symbol is equivalent to itself
(iv)Participants alternate turns. The T-player always goes first. The
first turn must be played no more than three days after the game has been
anounced. Every subsequent play must take place within 3 days of the most
recent play. A participant who misses this deadline loses by default.
(v) There are two possible plays Play and Anti-Play.
   Play - Participant places eir symbol, in an unoccupied square.
   A Particiapnt may not any of the equivalents of the symbol. The
T-player may only play T, the F-Player may only play F
 
  Anti-Play - An Anti-Play consists of adding the NOT symbol next to a
symbol already on the grid. If there is already a NOT symbol next to that
location, then the number next to the NOT symbol is incremented. If there
is no number then a 2 is inserted between the NOT symbol and T or F symbol
If the number next to a NOT symbol is 3 then it is illegal to Anti-Play in
that square. 
 It is illegal for a participant to Anti-Play on eir own Symbol or any of
its equivalents. Anti-Play is only permissible if the other Participant
has a winning move in eir next turn.

(vi) Winning - A player wins when three symbols in a single column,row or
diagonal are all equivalent to eir symbol.   
If no there is no legal move and  no winner can be determined according to 
the criteria described in the 
previous sentence, the winner is the participant who has more symbols 
equal to eir own symbol in the grid.

4.
a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel.

b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player who has
been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is Untouchable until the Duel
procedures are over, for whatever reason.

c. A Player who was a Chalengee in a Duel, that is, was Challenged to a
Duel and accepted, continues to be Untouchable until 20 days after the
end of the Duel procedures.

d. Players on Vacation are Untouchable {{[Is this necessary?]}}

e. Players in Gaol are Untouchable.

f. A Player who anounces that e will be going on Vacation on a specific
future date is Untouchable starting on the date of the anouncement or four
days before the anounced date of the Vacation, whichever is later, until
the date he actually goes on Vacation or four days after the anounced
date of the Vacation, whichever is earlier.  If by that latter date the
Player still has not gone on Vacation, then he cannot be Untouchable for a
period of 14 days, this sentence has no effect on the other subsections 
of this rule.

g. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures  goes on
Vacation that lasts more than 7 days e foreits the Duel.

h. If a Player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures goes on
Vacation that lasts 7 days or less, all Duel procedures are delayed by a
number of days equal to the number of days e was on Vacation. If a player
goes on a second Vacation during the same Duel he forfeits the Duel.

i. It is impermissible for a Player running for Office to Challenge
another Player running for the same Office.

j. A player who has declined a Duel, or failed to respond to a Challenge, 
is Untouchable until 3 days after the date e has declined, or until 3 
days after e is considered to have forfeit the duel.

k. If both the Challenger and the Challenged go on Vacation 
simultaneously, then the Duel is cancelled.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:24:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1303

Proposal 1303 - Wed Oct 02 11:24:29 EDT 1996
Let Modesty Cut Both Ways
breadbox  (Brian Raiter)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 1109 by replacing the second paragraph with the following:

Whenever a Modest Proposal is adopted, the number of points scored by
its author as a direct result of authoring an adopted proposal shall
be half the number of points they would otherwise have scored (rounded
toward zero). Likewise, whenever a Modest Proposal is rejected, the
number of points taken from its author as a direct result of authoring
a rejected proposal shall be half the number of points they would
otherwise have lost (rounded toward zero).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:32:07 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1273 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1273
  Proposal 1273 - Mon Sep 23 14:41:54 EDT 1996
  Gumball Precedence
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 20 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

4 YES votes   12 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 7 points.  57 -> 50

4 YES votes:  3 point each
  snowgod                (None Yet)            50 -> 53           
  Habeous Corpus                               44 -> 47           
  IdiotBoy                                      7 -> 10           
  Wayne                                        44 -> 47           

12 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  14               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  35               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  45               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  40               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  44               
  Techno                                      =  24               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  48               
  fnord                                       =  39               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  21               
  Uncle Sam                                   =  39               

0 PRESENT votes:

6 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  breadbox                                    
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Dagny                                       
  Tim                                         
  PapaSmurf                                   
============================
fnord paid A$25 to bribe the Tammany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:32:35 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1274 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1274
  Proposal 1274 - Mon Sep 23 14:42:26 EDT 1996
  Jail House Rock
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 20 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

10 YES votes   6 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 7 points.  57 -> 50

10 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                   14 -> 17           
  Brinjal                                      51 -> 54           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                40 -> 43           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            50 -> 53           
  Habeous Corpus                               44 -> 47           
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                44 -> 47           
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)            48 -> 51           
  fnord                                        39 -> 42           
  breadbox                                     18 -> 21           
  Wayne                                        44 -> 47           

6 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  35               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  45               
  Techno                                      =  24               
  IdiotBoy                                    =   7               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  21               
  Uncle Sam                                   =  39               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Dagny                                       
  Tim                                         
  PapaSmurf                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:33:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1275 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1275
  Proposal 1275 - Mon Sep 23 14:42:53 EDT 1996
  Senator Removing
  IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

Quorum met : 20 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

7 YES votes   10 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

IdiotBoy loses 7 points.  7 -> 0

7 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                   14 -> 17           
  Habeous Corpus                               44 -> 47           
  Techno                                       24 -> 27           
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)            48 -> 51           
  IdiotBoy                                      0 -> 3            
  Uncle Sam                                    39 -> 42           
  Wayne                                        44 -> 47           

10 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  35               
  Brinjal                                     =  51               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  45               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  40               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  57               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  44               
  fnord                                       =  39               
  breadbox                                    =  18               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  21               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Dagny                                       
  Tim                                         
  PapaSmurf                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:33:43 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1276 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1276
  Proposal 1276 - Mon Sep 23 14:43:55 EDT 1996
  Grab-a-Donkey
  Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Quorum met : 20 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

12 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Habeous Corpus gains 10 points.  47 -> 57

12 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  17               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  35               
  Brinjal                                     =  51               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  40               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  57               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  57               
  Techno                                      =  27               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  51               
  IdiotBoy                                    =   3               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Uncle Sam                                   =  42               
  Wayne                                       =  47               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                44 -> 47           
  fnord                                        39 -> 42           

2 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =  45
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  21

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  breadbox                                    
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Dagny                                       
  PapaSmurf                                   
===================
Habeous Corpus paid A$ to bribe the Tammany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1276 - Mon Sep 23 14:43:55 EDT 1996
Grab-a-Donkey
Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Create a game known as Grab-a-Donkey.  The game consists of a
moderator,  known as the Wrangler and players,  who initially comprise
all current active Players of Ackanomic,  not including the Player
designated as the Wrangler,  those on Vacation,  in Gaol,  or otherwise
prohibited from performing official Ackanomic actions.  Each player in
Grab-a-Donkey starts off with one (1) donkey.

The following special equipment is required to play Grab-a-Donkey.  The
equipment will be issued from the Game Box at the start of play,  and all
equipment will automatically be returned to the Game Box at the end of
the game.
One (1) donkey per player
One lariat per player (used to Grab other donkeyes)
One (1) blanket (used to Cover the players own donkey

The Wrangler may call for a Grab-a-Donkey game at any time,  as long as
no Grab-a-Donkey game is currently being played,  nor has been played in
the last thirty (30) days.

{{Initially,  there is no Player with the title Wrangler.  Any Player may
claim the title Wrangler by declaring the start of the first game of
Grab-a-Donkey in a public message.  After the first occurance of
Grab-a-Donkey,  the title of Wrangler will be determined by the outcome
of the game as described in this Rule.}}

The rules of Grab-a-Donkey are as follows:

A. When a new game of Grab-a-Donkey starts, all Players of Ackanomic, 
excluding the Wrangler and those exempted as noted above will be placed
on the Grab-a-Donkey Active List ("GAL" hereafter).

B. Each Round, a player on the GAL will either (a) Cover eir donkey, (b)
Grab a specific players donkey on the GAL, or (c) Stand Around Admiring
Eir Donkey. Unless a player specifies a different choice to the Wrangler
in a private message by the end of the Round, the player will Stand
Around Admiring Eir Donkey.  Rounds will last no less than one full day
(24 hours) and no more than 3 full days (72 hours) from the start of the
game.  Players may change eir action at any time before the end of the
Round

C. If  one player ("A") chose to Grab another players donkey ("B"), and
if B did not Cover eir donkey, then B will lose eir donkey and be removed
from the GAL at the start of the following Round.

D. If only one player on the GAL did not choose to Cover eir donkey, then
all other players will be removed from the GAL at the start of the
following Round.

E. At the end of the Round, the Wrangler will publicly report what each
player on the GAL did, and determine the results.

F. If and when there are exactly zero players left on the GAL, that game
of Grab-a-Donkey shall end.  The current Wrangler shall  retain eir title
until after the next occurance of Grab-a-Donkey.

G. If and when there is exactly one player left on the GAL, that game of
Grab-a-Donkey shall end.  That player shall be considered to be the Belt
Holder of that game of Grab-a-Donkey.  The Belt Holder shall become the
next Wrangler and be awarded a sum of Points equal to the number of
donkeyes e has Grabbed.  E shall also have the right to Propose exactly
one (1) ammending Rule change to the game of Grab-a-Donkey.  Ammending
Proposals shall be handled as any other Rule change Proposal.  This is
the only way Grab-a-Donkey may be ammended.  This takes Precedence over
any Rule that would allow other Players to Propose ammenments.
- -------------------------------------------------------

{{Im submitting this as a normal Proposal,  rather than through the
Games and Contests for two reasons.  First,  it initially affects all
Players,  rather than a few volunteers.  Secondly,  due to the relatively
large number of players required to start the game,  I did not want it
subject to be used in Duels.}}

{{Respectfully submitted,
Habeous Corpus}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:40:14 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Ackanomic: Prop 1276 Passes

Wayne wrote:

>Habeous Corpus paid A$ to bribe the Tammany

Just how big was that bribe?

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 11:47:37 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: RE: Ackanomic: Prop 1276 Passes

- - 
- - Wayne wrote:
- - 
- - >Habeous Corpus paid A$ to bribe the Tammany
- - 
- - Just how big was that bribe?
- - 
A$5

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:51:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1276 Passes

> Here are the voting results for : 1276
>   Proposal 1276 - Mon Sep 23 14:43:55 EDT 1996
>   Grab-a-Donkey
>   Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)
> 
> Quorum met : 20 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes
> 
> 12 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
> Proposal PASSES

This proposal was Harfy, so in addition to scoring some extra points,
Habeous Corpus becomes the Harfmeister.  There are now no harfy proposals.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 10:59:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Akca: Grab-a-Donkey

Please refrain from initiating a game of Grab-a-Donkey until a major bug 
gets worked out of it.  As currently written, a group of fairly wise 
players will almost always eliminate each other rather than come to a 
single winner, and so the Title Belt will remain unowned for several 
games except by fluke.

If you get down to two players, its a classic Prisoner's Dilemma 
situation.  It's pointless to Stand Around Admiring Your Donkey, so you 
have four possibilities:

1. A and B both cover -- stand-off, play another round.
2. A grabs, B covers -- A wins for being the only non-covering player
3. A covers, B grabs -- B wins for being the only non-covering player
4. A and B both grab -- they eliminate each other; game over

No matter what B does, it's better for A if he grabs.  So if the game 
ever goes to two players, A and B both grab and eliminate each other.  A 
three-player situation allows for some chance, but it's not significantly 
better.

I plan to submit a proposal soon to fix this where if the number of 
players remaining hits zero, if only two or three players were around 
before the mass elimination, the winner is randomly determined among 
them, and if four or more were around at this point, those players are 
restored to playing status.  (And yes, there is one big gaping loophole 
left in the goal to avoid GAD's being amended by others than the most 
recent victor.)

If you have any other suggestions on how to make the endgame more 
playable, tell me and I'll try to integrate them into my forthcoming 
proposal.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:13:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: another straw poll

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Mohammed wrote:

When I put "word games" on my straw poll, crosswords were one of the 
further things from my mind.  I'm trying to develop verbal alchemy (if 
you've played with word puzzles, you've seen it, though maybe not under 
that name -- the simplest form of it is transforming words one letter at 
a time, and it gets more complex from there) as an entry on the G&C 
page.

Guy Fawkes

> 	Being a word freak I have managed to churn out a grand total of 
> one crossword grid during my life, a pitiful 10x8 attempt with about 2 
> dozen three-letter words.
> 
> --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:10:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: Guy Fawkes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ambassador: No relly all that official

I think it might help just to state that the game customs of the various 
games are _not_ internomic custom.  As time goes by, internomic will 
develop a culture of its own, and its own game custom.  So rather than 
trying to graft conflicting customs onto a framework that may not accept 
them, let internomic evolve on its own

Guy Fawkes 

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Attached is a message which was posted to the internomic list, and it got
> me thinking about the problems that _are_ going to develop in internomic
> based in differences in existing game custom in different nomics.
> 
> This is not all that serios of a problem, in this particular case, but
> should be noted anyhow.  We may, as a nomic, want to work towards averting
> future "Game Custom Crises" if anyone can think of a good way.
> 
> snowgod
> who is really too tired to think

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:50:31 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Score Report

Miscellaneous/Unusual Scoring:
Niccolo Flychuck got 6 points for posting what phoebe said
snowgod lost 10 points for not judging CFJ 296
Techno lost 3 points for the politeness moon
Malenkai, Wayne, and ThinMan each retracted a proposal at a cost of 2 points
[A bond cycle ended before ThinMan's retraction & scoring on P1267]
fnord lost 1 points when CFJ 288 was overturned
Habeous Corpus got 15 more points from the Whamiol for PapaSmurf
Habeous Corpus got 5 extra points for P1276 being Harfy
Habeous Corpus got 10 extra points for having the Trombone in the P1276 parade
A bunch of other players got 1 point each for being in the parade
  (By my count, this is all except Habeous, Brinjal, fon, Pascal, Robert Sevin)

Current Scores:
Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
102	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
60	Guy Fawkes           A   (Robert Shimmin)
51	Brinjal              V   (Simon Clarke) 
49	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
48	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
48	fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
48	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
46	Uncle Sam            A   (Sam Peterson)
43	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
42	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
34	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
32	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
28	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
25	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
22	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
21	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
7	IdiotBoy             A   (Matt Miller)
1	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
1	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
1	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
1	Dagny                N   (Wendy Peterson)
1	"Tim"                N   (Tim Carter)
1	PapaSmurf            N   (Jacob Kanafoski)
0	fon                  I   (Adrian Smith) 
0	Pascal               I   (Jason Reed) 
0	Robert Sevin         I   (Mitchell Harding) 

Scores at the end of the bond cycle, September 30, 12:00 EDT:
Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
50	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
42	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
41	Guy Fawkes           A   (Robert Shimmin)
40	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
39	fnord                A   (Michael Thomas)
37	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
36	Uncle Sam            A   (Sam Peterson)
35	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
31	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
31	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
30	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
29	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
27	Bash                 A   (Erez Bashan)
24	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
18	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
18	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
14	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
1	IdiotBoy             A   (Matt Miller)
0	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain)
0	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
0	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff)
0	Dagny                N   (Wendy Peterson)
0	"Tim"                N   (Tim Carter)
0	PapaSmurf            N   (Jacob Kanafoski)
0	fon                  I   (Adrian Smith) 
0	Pascal               I   (Jason Reed) 
0	Robert Sevin         I   (Mitchell Harding) 

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 12:41:26 -0600
From: Uncle Sam <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Uncle Sam is on Vacation 

I, Uncle Sam, am going on Vaction as of 1:00 PM Mountain Time on Oct 2.  I
will return on Monday Oct 7.  The expected duration is 5 days, but let's say
6 just in case.  I hope all remains well in Acka until I return.

Uncle Sam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 12:59:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Michael J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Grab-a-Donkey

Guy Fawkes spake thusly
> 
> Please refrain from initiating a game of Grab-a-Donkey until a major bug 
> gets worked out of it.  
>  [snip describing impasse]
> I plan to submit a proposal soon to fix this where if the number of 
> players remaining hits zero, if only two or three players were around 
> before the mass elimination, the winner is randomly determined among 
> them, and if four or more were around at this point, those players are 
> restored to playing status.

Actually, the problem isn't as big as it appears at first.

If everyone is eliminated, then there is still someone who is the
Wrangler (section F states that if there are zero people left on
the GAL, then the current Wrangler shall retain eir title).

I don't see anything wrong with not having a winner of a game,
personally.

> (And yes, there is one big gaping loophole 
> left in the goal to avoid GAD's being amended by others than the most 
> recent victor.)

Is there?  I couldn't see it, since the Precedence clause
is very vague.

fnord

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #273
*******************************