Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #272
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, October 2 1996      Volume 01 : Number 272

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 01:35:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: another straw poll

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Acka seems to be going down a bit of a sub-game path, so I'm sending this
> to guage personal tastes:
> 
> which of the following sorts of games do you enjoy:
> 
> 1. word games
> 2. games of luck
> 3. games of luck/skill
> 4. games of pure strategy
> 5. games of logical reasoning
> 6. trivia
> 7. anything else (I'm tired now and don't have time to think of any others)

Nomic :)

Malenkai
actually, I like fantasy role playing, card games (bridge and hearts)
and (wizwar).  As for sub-games, I'll play anything on that list.  My 
complaint about party chess is that it depends on 3 extant political
parties, and excludes anyone else.  I would prefer sub-games to be
designed so that they are totally optional on one hand, and totally
non-exclusionary on the other.

In any case, vote YES on my rewrite of games and contests, I think it
will make development of this part of the game easier, I'm looking 
forward to running a move a day eleusis game.

I like trivia, puzzles, and "quest/riddle" type things.  I intend to
propose some stuff if my rewrite passes.

Another idea I have is based losely on "the Game Tournament" in Piers
Anthony's Juxtapostion series.  We would need alot of subgames for
that, but I want to have winning game trophies lead to acka victory
conditions.

I was going to try to work trophies into the latest rewrite, but it was
too much.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 01:02:59 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Commision d'Arts

Help.  I don't want to be in contempt,  but can anyone tell me where the
Senate is meeting to decide on the four nominees?

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:22:05 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: RFC: PartyChess thoughts - repost

I am reposting this, because I see this as one possible reply to
Malenkai's continous complaint against PartyChess.

Since I prefer to evolution rather than revolution, I'd like to let the
game develop for a while before I propose such a major change.
The current Party structure allows play-testing on a small scale.
This rfc allows Parties no to participate, by making Swinger an optional
Office, and it allows other players, or more likely, groups of players, to
participate, almost regardlss of Party  affiliation, which makes sense
because the the board is finite.

RFC
Changing the face of PartyChess
Niccolo Flychuck

I.
Append the following text to R726
"
A Party may declare eir Seat to be Warm at any time.

If there fewer than 8 non-Warm Seats at Party-Hall, then additional Seats 
may be created in the following manner:
a. Any player who is not currently a Swinger, and who is not a member of 
a Party, two members of which are currently Swingers may anounce eir 
desire to buy an Office of Swinger.
b. A$600 are transferred from that players account to the the Treasury, 
if e does not have that much money the entire procedure of creating an 
additional is cancelled.

c. The player names eir Swinger's Office.

Swingers who acquire eir Offices in this manner are known as 
Capital-Swingers.
When a Capital-Swinger goes on Vacation, no acting-Swinger is appointed.
A Capital-Swinger's Office is Tradable. If a Capital-Swinger's office is 
traded, then the previous owner ceases to be Swinger, and the new owner 
becomes Swinger in eir stead.
A Capital-Swinger may anounce eir resignation at any time. In this case 
the Office of Swinger e resigned from is detroyed.

If there are four or fewer Swinger and if an Ackanomic Lottery exists,
it is permissible to designate an Office of Swinger as a Grand Prize in
the lottey. If that Office is awarded is such a way that would break any
of the restrictions of this rule, then that Office is immdiately
destroyed, and the would be winner received an equivalent cash prize
instead.
{{[just though up this bit, so it may need rephrasing]}}

II.
Ammend R990 2 D (iv) to read in whole:
"
When a Player purchases a PartyChessPiece e anounces the Office of 
Swinger e is purchasing the piece for."

delete R990 2 D (v)
renumber R990 2 D (vi) to R990 2 D (v)

III.
in R990 delete section E.
Rename section F to Section E
in R991,R992 change all refferences to R990 section F, to R990 section E
{{[R991 2 D does the same thing, and is better worded]}}}

IV.
Append to R991 2H the following text:
(iii)When there are 8 or more Swingers with on-board pieces, the turn of 
any Swinger who has no on-board pieces is skipped entirely.

{{[I don't know how likely this is, but it could happen, if Parties 
initially leave eir Offices Warm, Capital Swingers join the game, and 
later the Parties decide to join in anyway, a situation could be created 
when there a lot of Swingers and the PartyBoard could get pretty crowded. 
8 seems like a good upper limit. This means that Swingers will have to 
wait for someone to surrender, or a for an Office to be destroyed, in 
order to start Placing eir pieces. In the former case, very interesting 
dynamics could evolve. Surrendering would mean that the Swinger would be 
out of the game until another Swinger surrenders]}}

rfc

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 23:43:15 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: ACka: The UW 

In response to Uncle Sam's reply to my presidentail adress:

>
>snowgod's message upset me quite a bit.

I apologize for any offense I may have given you, and I will try to explain
the intent of my message.

>I was upset because of how I interpreted certain parts of the message.
>The Ackanomic President was willing to leave the game and form another just
>because certain people weren't playing the way he wanted.  "take their ball
>and go home" (IdiotBoy)  I wouldn't have expected this from the President
>and I didn't like it!  I'm glad our President will up and leave the game on
>a whim.  Maybe he wasn't serious, but I am distressed that he would even
>threaten it.

My "presidential adress" was written as an attempt to hold ackanomic
together, and defuse the situation that I felt was devolping.  I was
concerned about several messages I had recieved from different players who
were considering leaving the game. I posted a message which (I believe) was
toned in such a way that it would *encourage* those players who were
considering leaving to stay in the game.  The comment I posted about
leaving the game personally was not intended to be a threat.  I currently
enjoy this game too much to leave it, and would only leave if it became no
fun (for me) anymore.  It is possible that it would no longer be fun for me
if several of my good friends left the game, and that is all I really meant
to say.

I tried to be fair in my message and include both sides of the argument.  I
understood that UW's actions were intended to be fun (and I intially
considered them to be until I realized the effect it was having on some
other players).  I guess that can be chalked up to a miscalculation on the
part of underworld and an improper response on behalf of the rest of us.
We kept our discussion almost exclusively private and must have forgotten
that you underworlders would not even have a way of knowing how we felt
(cant you read minds :)?

My references to "extortion" were meant in the same spirit of fun that
underworld attempted to capture in the first place with their strike.  If
it offended any members of the UW party I apologize.  UI was just trying to
dramatize things and keep them interesting while posting my personal
opinion on the motive behind the strike.

I did not have the intention of busting a great party (i'm sorry to see you
and IB leave it).  You should not take it personally that certain players
were upset by the actions of your party.  The past is the past and we have
all learned from our mistakes.  The existance of the UW party DOES lead to
more fun in the game by adding complexity to the voting process as a
whole... so really, you don't have to "Why bother".

>
>I also would like to add what a wonderful speaker Malenkai is.  He has
>always tried to keep this game fun.

He certainly has that.  Three cheers for Malenkai and three cheers for
peace.  I hope the underworld and the overworld can exist together
peaceably and constructively with no hard feelings.

>
>Uncle Sam

snowgod
who is perfectly willing to share the ball

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 23:43:19 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction 

Oops, silly me.

Try as I might, I cannot find in my outgoing mail log my announcement that
I am building the Scroll Of Crumble.  In any event, I am pretty sure I'm
finished by now, almost positive really.  I just have that satisfied
feeling that one gets after completing a job well done.

In any event I am now auctioning the Scroll Of Crumble.  Please send you
bids to [email-masked]

Chief Cheese
with two post scripts

1) Could the Speaker please put the end auction date on his current events
page (just in case the little gremlins steal this from my outgoing mail
log)

2) If anyone feels that I have called this auction in error fee4l free to
submit a CFJ stating so.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 01:05:23 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Financial 

I am transferring A$50 to Habeous Corpus assuming he acks the transaction.

Also, sorry to repeat this but has the financier noted the bond trade
between Mohammed and myself?  [at this point snowgod bows humbly and begs
forgivness for the confusion surrounding this transaction]

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 08:45:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Financial

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> I am transferring A$50 to Habeous Corpus assuming he acks the transaction.
> 
> Also, sorry to repeat this but has the financier noted the bond trade
> between Mohammed and myself?  [at this point snowgod bows humbly and begs
> forgivness for the confusion surrounding this transaction]
> 
> snowgod

I have noted the transfer of exactly 20 bonds each between the two
of you.  The speaker page should accurately reflect all player's bond
holdings, and cash, except for salaries, end of current cycle bond
yields, and Niccolo's party chess purchase.

Let ThinMan know if there are any discepencies :).

Malenkai
unoffical assistant to the financier

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:52:36 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: *ping*

Today is Tuesday, the 1st day of October, in the Year of Our Lord
1996, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since
I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* 1 time.

Bascule
Scholar of *ping*

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:32:05 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Commision d'Arts

Habeous Corpus wrote:

>Help.  I don't want to be in contempt,  but can anyone tell me where the
>Senate is meeting to decide on the four nominees?

I sent a message to acka-senate, but have received no reply.  /dev/joe,
is that 
list up-to-date?

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 09:37:00 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Financial

snowgod wrote:

>Also, sorry to repeat this but has the financier noted the bond trade
>between Mohammed and myself?  [at this point snowgod bows humbly and begs
>forgivness for the confusion surrounding this transaction]

I have it down.  Your obeissance is noted and looked upon with favor :)

ThinMan
Financier with delusions of grandeur

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 11:01:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

Is there a means for those of us who hastily deleted some old mail to get a
new copy of the hidden truth behind the machine?

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:05:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: *ping*

> Is there a means for those of us who hastily deleted some old mail to get a
> new copy of the hidden truth behind the machine?

Look on the Machine web page, at
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/machine.html

/dev/joe
Web-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:50:48 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Ackanomic: Proposal 1293

Mohammed wrote:

>> > If a player posts a message to the public forum containing his intent
>> > to transfer A$ to another player or players, and if that message does
>> > not specify the transfer of any other entity, then the trade is
>> > accomplished immediately.  This rule defers to any rule that limits
>> > the transfer of A$.
>I guess no one beat me to it.  This rule defers to the rule that defines 
>how transfers work on the FM.  So it is ineffectual.

No one beat you to it because "it" doesn't exist.  From R 482, Section
II,
paragraph (2): " Tradeable entities may only be transferred by methods
described
in the rules. "  This is the only current restriction on the transfer of
A$.  R 482
define one procedure for transfers, but it does not require that all
transfers
follow that procedure if an alternative is established by rule.  My
proposal does
exactly that: it provides an alternative procedure for transferring A$
in some
circumstances.  There is no conflict with R 482.

ThinMan
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 11:11:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: another straw poll

> Another idea I have is based losely on "the Game Tournament" in Piers
> Anthony's Juxtapostion series.  We would need alot of subgames for
> that, but I want to have winning game trophies lead to acka victory
> conditions.
	I've read a few books of that series.  It's a good idea.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:42:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Michael J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: another straw poll

Guy Fawkes wrote:
> 
> Acka seems to be going down a bit of a sub-game path, so I'm sending this
> to guage personal tastes:
> 
> which of the following sorts of games do you enjoy:
> 
> 1. word games
> 2. games of luck
> 3. games of luck/skill
> 4. games of pure strategy
> 5. games of logical reasoning
> 6. trivia
> 7. anything else (I'm tired now and don't have time to think of any others)

I *love* word games, and enjoy games of skll/straegy/reasoning and trivia,
so pretty much 8.  All of the above.

Of course, like Malenkai, I also love role-playing games, so much as to
run a Role-Playing game convention here in town (which, coincidentally,
Malenkai, also has a WizWar tourney, and usually the creator of WizWar).

fnord
(Join the Church of RANDOE and find out the
mysteries of the Coke-frinking rituals)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:57:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mohammed <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Ackanomic: Proposal 1293, no loophole

Good-- sorry.

- --Mohammed

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  2 Oct 96 05:14:10 PDT
From: Erez Bashan <[email-masked]>
Subject: Bye Bye

Sorry for waisting your time, but this game is not for me.

Have fun without me.

Bash

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:38:00 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Official: Ambassador 

There are two new proposals in internomic, both of them submitted by
ackanomic on behalfof various players (HC - your proposals have been
submitted too.  Hopefully they will be posted today... They must be black
hole proposals :)).

Could Count Tabula hold a vote on these at his leasure?  There is no rush
(we have a month :) - so whenever is good.

In other news, I have resubmitted the Amend R970 (senate voting)

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:38:15 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction Update 

The current High Bid for the Scroll of Crumble is A17, bid by Mohammed.

A certain penny pincher, who will remain nameless, had bid first, as he
always does, but underestimated the going rate for the gadget, as he always
does... :)

Chief Cheese
Giving a well respected player a hard time :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:07:46 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: SFG Request 

I would like to print an opinion piece by a member of the Underworld party
in the next edition of the Steel Flea Gazette.  If any member of that party
is interested in writing one, please let me know.

snowgod
publisher

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:13:19 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction Update 

The current high bid for the Scroll Of Crumble is A$26, bid by ThinMan.

Chief Cheese
the cheesy one

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 01:30:52 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Official

Bash quit the game.
The UnderWorld Party is left again with only two members, and was
dissolved when Bash quit.
I have posted to acka-chess the effects to PartyChess.

Another effect is that once again I am the only Israeli player in the
game, which still leaves Israel as the most highly represented country,
percentage-wise :)    (at least according to my estimates, I may be some
			some statistics)
Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 19:53:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 300 Verdict

CFJ 300 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 300
  Subject: Going to Gaol
Initiator: Brinjal
    Judge: this is not a name (declined)
2nd Judge: Malenkai (declined)
3rd Judge: Uncle Sam (selected Sep 28, 1996, 03:01h EDT)
Judgement: FALSE

Statement:

IdiotBoy went to Gaol on Thursday September 26th.

Brinjal's Reasoning:

There is a three day grace period from time of sentence to actual
Gaoling of offenders. IdiotBoy was in the Cow Town Hotel at the
moment his three days elapsed. Shortly after this he left the Cow Town
Hotel and I, as Gaoler, attempted to put IdiotBoy behind bars.
Rule 710 "Criminal Justice", describes the process of Gaoling
criminals, and it is the interpretation of this rule which the judge
must consider.

Uncle Sam's Reasoning:

Rule 710

7a)"Upon a verdict of TRUE, the judge may retain or alter the recommended
penalty. The result will become the actual penalty. This will be imposed
following a 3 day "grace period". This takes precedence over all other
mutable rules which establish or dis-establish a grace period."

A verdict of TRUE was passed against IdiotBoy in CFCJ 115 at 1:39 on the 23
Sept.  Thus, his grace period ended at 1:39 on the 26th of Sept. and his
Sentence began.

7b) If the penalty was a SENTENCE in the Gaol, player X shall be moved from
their current Location to the Gaol at the end of the grace period, at which
time their sentence will start.

This is the only place in the rule set that specifies how a player is moved
to the Gaol "at the end of the grace period."  Since IdiotBoy was residing
in the Cow Town Hotel at this moment he was unable to be placed in the Gaol
according to rule 1067.  The rules specify nothing about a criminal being
moved to the Gaol at any other time, only at the end of the grace period.

According to rule 712 the Gaoler has no authority to place Ackacitizens in
the Gaol.  The Gaoler only has the authority to release players from the
gaol.  So the Gaoler made an unsuccessful attempt to place IdiotBoy in the
Gaol and most likely broke the rules in doing so.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 20:46:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Ambassador

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> There are two new proposals in internomic, both of them submitted by
> ackanomic on behalfof various players (HC - your proposals have been
> submitted too.  Hopefully they will be posted today... They must be black
> hole proposals :)).

I have actually received these, and they are on my web pages.  I shall 
hold off conducting a vote, in case Amend R 970 passes, and since they
have not been officially distributed.

In the matter of Internomic P 307, the voting is over, and 6 players
voted NO, 0 YES.

Assistant Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:51:14 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Bond Cycle

Can anyone tell me the rule number that pertains to the Bond Cycle, 
or end thereof.  I can't seem to find it in the rules.

Techno
"Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:54:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bond Cycle

> Can anyone tell me the rule number that pertains to the Bond Cycle, 
> or end thereof.  I can't seem to find it in the rules.

Rule 565.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 96 22:55:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1297

Proposal 1297 - Tue Oct 01 22:55:51 EDT 1996
No Name, No Game
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend R 362 to replace all occurrances of:

"then e is placed on vacation with an expected duration of zero days."

With:

"then e is placed on vacation with an expected duration of two days,
unless e never was an active player, in which case e is removed from the
game, and treated as if e never joined the game [and thus no Undead is
created, etc].  

{{The player known as "Tim" is removed from the game if he is a player
but not an active player, and he is treated as if he never joined the
game, in terms of Undead and rules with the phrase "previously granted"
and other appropriate rules.  This paragraph takes precedence over all
mutable rules, and applies to players on vacation.}}"

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 570 to add the following text at the end of the second paragraph:

"A new registree is not considered to be a player until they have 
informed the Registrar of their Ackanomic name, and may not participate
in the game in any way until they have done so (excluding things required
by the registration process, including choosing a name)."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 96 22:56:25 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1298

Proposal 1298 - Tue Oct 01 22:56:25 EDT 1996
Amending 970
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

{{[resubmitted due to strike]}}

Amend R970 to read in whole:

The Ambassador (or, in the absence of an Ambassador, the Speaker) shall be
Ackanomic's Liaison to InterNomic.

Ackanomic's Liaison shall keep the Players of Ackanomic apprised in a
timely fashion of events in InterNomic of interest to Ackanomic.

Any Ackanomic Player may request the Liaison to make an InterNomic Proposal
by sending the Proposal to the Liaison.

Whenever Ackanomic is permitted to vote upon any matter in Internomic, the
Liaison shall initiate a vote in the senate to determine how he should cast
Ackanomic's vote in Internomic.

 Each senator shall, within one week, cast his vote (in the event of a tie,
the proconsul may cast his vote), and the Ambassador shall cast his vote in
internomic in accordance with the decision of the senate. Any senator who
does not cast a vote shall be placed In Contempt.

In the event that the senate does not reach a decision [for whatever
reason], the ambassador shall cast his vote in Internomic in accordance
with the decision of the President.

Whenever Ackanomic is required to serve as a judge in Internomic, the
Liaison shall render that judgement, and shall do so in the best interests
of Ackanomic.

- ----

Create a new rule entitled "in Contempt" with the following text:

{{any senator who is has been held in Contempt shall no longer be held so}}

A senator who is held in Contempt shall be required to either pay a fine of
A$100 to the treasury, or be placed in the Gaol for three days.  The
senator who is in Contempt is allowed to choose which of the two options he
would like to commit to.  If a senator does not make a choice within three
days of being held in Contempt it will be assumed that he has chosen the
Gaol sentence.

A player shall cease to be held in Contempt once their fine has been paid,
or sentence completed, as the case may be.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 96 22:57:23 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1299

Proposal 1299 - Tue Oct 01 22:57:23 EDT 1996
I'm too lazy to keep tracking this
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 431.

{{[I'm not sure, P 1154 failed, but IdiotBoy's passed.  I think we think
its a bad rule, in any case, its a hassle to track.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 96 22:58:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1300

Proposal 1300 - Tue Oct 01 22:58:06 EDT 1996
Petent Infringement III
mr cwm  (Eric Murray)

The following actions shall be taken:

- ---------

A new Rule shall be created with the title "Patent Infringement" and the
following text: 

If there is a type of Ackanomic Entity whose creation or existance is
specified by a Rule or Rules, and yet a Player possesses an Entity of that
type whose creation or existance was made possible solely by the Rule
"Permissibility of the Unprohibited," that Player shall be Guilty of
Patent Infringement, unless that Entity is any type of Frog.

When a Player becomes Guilty of Patent Infringement they shall:

1)  deliver the item described in the preceeding paragraph to the Gaoloer,
    to be placed in the Gaol's Evidence Room.
2)  obtain a Prosthetic Forehead in accordance with the Rules, and present
    it to the Inventor, as a symbolic apology to the intellectual
    community.
3)  be said to be Guilty of Patent Infringement until an Appeal For Pardon
    is GRANTed them by the President.

- --------

R711 (Appeal for Pardon) shall be amended in the following ways:

Clause 2 shall read:  The player has had a verdict of TRUE reached against
them within the past 3 days on a CFCJ, OR the player is in the Gaol, OR
the player is Guilty of Patent Infringement.

The final paragraph shall read:  If the AFP is GRANTed, the penalty from
the most recent CFCJ against the player is waived, and/or the player is
immediately released from the Gaol, if they are in the Gaol, or the player
will no longer be said to be Guilty of Patent Infringement.

- --------

R709 (Gaol) shall be amended by inserting the following paragraph
between the the
current first and second paragraphs:

The Gaol has an Evidence Room that is a Location unlimited in capacity. 
The Gaoler shall place items in the Evidence Room as directed by the
Rules.  Items in the Evidence Room belong to no Player.  Items in the
Evidence Room may not be manipulated in any way except as explicitly
permitted by the Rules.  This paragraph takes precedence over R665
(Treasury and Hard Money) insofar as it is necessary to prevent the
unowned items from being placed in the Treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 22:29:00 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Bond Cycle

> > Can anyone tell me the rule number that pertains to the Bond Cycle, 
> > or end thereof.  I can't seem to find it in the rules.
> 
> Rule 565.
> 
>

Thank-you

Techno 
"Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Oct 96 0:15:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1301

Proposal 1301 - Wed Oct 02 00:15:55 EDT 1996
Fixing the Cow Town loophole
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Amend Rule 712, section (iii) to read

(iii) The duties are

	a) To place players sentenced to Gaol in Gaol within a seven-day 
	   period immediately following the expiration of their grace period.  
	   This shall be done by publically posting a description of the cell 
	   of that player, and their sentence shall begin at that time.  The 
	   Gaoler may not Gaol players except as provided by the rules.
	   Should it prove impossible to place that player in Gaol within 
	   the one-week period, the Gaoler shall be exempt from this duty in 
	   this instance.
	b) To maintain a list of all players currently in the Gaol, and 
	   their remaining sentence.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend the first sentence of Rule 710, section 7b) to read

7b) If the penalty was a SENTENCE in the Gaol, player X shall be moved 
from their current Location to the Gaol at such time that the Gaoler 
places them in Gaol (not to be more than seven days following the 
expiration of their grace period, at which time their sentence will start.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend the next-to-last paragraph of R1067 to read:

No player in Cow Town may be removed from Cow Town without first giving 
their consent.  This rule takes precedence over Rule 1018 and any mutable 
rules dealing with heresy, witchhunts, the justice system, or the Gaol.  
It defers to the rule describing the Yellow Submarine.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitled "Yellow Submarine" with the following as text:

The lake in which the Cow Town Hotel lies shall henceforth be referred to 
as the Sea of Green.

There exists the Ackanomic entity known as the Yellow Submarine.  If at 
any time the citizens of Acka wish to apprehend a fugitive who has fled 
to Cow Town, the Yellow Submarine may be used for this purpose.

Within three days of a player entering Cow Town, any player may send a 
private message to the Captain of the Yellow Submarine naming an amount 
of Ackadollars they are willing to contribute to fund a voyage of the 
Yellow Submarine to apprehend that player.  If more than one player is in 
Cow Town, they must name which player they wish to apprehend.  Likewise, 
a fugitive in Cow Town may send a private message to the Captain of the 
Yellow Submarine naming an amount of A$ they are willing to spend to prevent 
the Yellow Submarine's voyage.  If any player sends more than one message 
described in this paragraph, only the largest amount named shall have effect.

At the end of the three day period, the Captain shall make public a list 
of all players submitting amounts and the amount they submitted.  If the 
sum of all appliccable contributions to fund the Yellow Submarine's 
voyage is more than twice the fugitive's offer, the offered amount of A$ shall 
be transferred from all contributing players accounts (the fugitive in question 
is not for this purpose a contributing player); the Yellow Submarine shall dive 
into the depths of the Sea of Green, and the fugitive shall no longer be 
in Cow Town, nor shall he be eligible to reenter it for the next three 
days.  The Captain receives 15 A$ from the Treasury for this service.

If at the end of the three day period, the fugitive's offer is at least 
half the to sum of of all contributions to fund the Submarine's voyage, 
the fugitive shall transfer the offered amount to the Captain, and the 
Captain shall explain to Acka that mechanical difficulties make it 
impossible to apprehend the fugitive.  If the Captain received in excess 
of 15 A$ from the fugitive in this episode, he shall transfer half that 
excess (rounding down) to the Treasury for future maintenance of the 
Submarine.

If at the end of the three day period, the fugitive is no longer in Cow 
Town, no payments described in this rule are due, and the Captain is not 
required to set sail nor even to make public the list of offered payments.

The Captaincy of the Yellow Submarine may be transferred with the 
permission of the present Captain, though doing so is in bad taste and 
other players are permitted to sneer.  The Captain of the Yellow 
Submarine may appoint a Lieutenant of the Yellow Submarine, who, while 
the Captain is on Vacation, shall gain all rights and priveleges of the 
Captaincy save the right to transfer the Captaincy.  If the Captain 
of the Yellow Submarine should quit the game, the Lieutenant of the 
Yellow Submarine immediately gains the Captaincy in full.  Should there 
ever be no Captain, the Captaincy shall be publically Auctioned. {{Guy 
Fawkes is the Captain of the Yellow Submarine.}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 02 Oct 1996 00:49:44 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Amber Banana

In accordance with R 827, I am purchasing an Amber Banana
from Techno's Amber Banana Tree for A$10, assuming he acks
the transaction.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #272
*******************************