Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #270
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Monday, September 30 1996      Volume 01 : Number 270

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:28:22 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: New Bribing World Order

On Sun, 29 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> I would like to see some scoring come out of games and contests, and
> from party chess, etc, but the fact that only swingers can score in the
> latter is a negative, IMO.
I posted an RFC that would change that. It goes somewhat further than just
making Swinger an optional office, within the context of the Party-Hall
rule, and still gives Parties a small advantage (in myRFC, Parties get a
free Swinger, others have to pay, and considering the cost, a few people
would have to cooperate. This does make scoring as the only reward somwhat
inadequate, but I have some ideas about that - meanwhile, PartyChess is
playing out its opening)

> 
> Yes, I envision that as well, but I was unwilling to trade votes for
> the Underworld's current slate of proposals :).  If the Underworld, or
> or any other party, has a positive adjenda, and would like to trade
> votes with me, I'll do that.

That is a concept I find interesting as well.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:39:18 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Official : Magic Potato

The bearer of the Magic Potato this wekk is ...

... breadbox

May he bear with pride.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:42:37 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Crime and Bribery and Chess

Also note that the position of NAP Swinger is open due to Brinjal's
vacation. While it is not necessary to fill it, someone might like to
volunteer. Non-aligned players, please note that we will definitely
running into the NAP Swinger's in a couple of days. That's before
Brinjal's vacation.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> I note the position of Acting Gaoler is open whilst Brinjal is
> on vacation.  I'd make a lousy Gaoler, and even worse poet, so
> if someone feels qualified to write a R 939 poem, let me know if
> you would like to be acting gaoler.
> 
> I will take volunteers, (and bribes :)) for 24 hours.
> 
> Malenkai
> speaker
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:16:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official(?)

I am removing myself from Underworld Party membership.  No dispute with the
Party Leadership or any such things.  I merely wish to pursue my own goals
on my own time table.

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 09:09:51 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: Vending Machine

Congratulations to Bascule on becoming the owner of a brand new Vending
machine.  Since there are now two,  I should give a distinct name for
mine.  I hereby name the Vending Machine belonging to Habeous Corpus the
“Ackanomic Merchandising Device”.  Look for new Add-ons coming soon.

Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 08:53:16 -0600
From: Uncle Sam <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka : Financial 

At 04:27 PM 9/29/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sun, 29 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> > Reply-to:      [email-masked]
>> > From:          [email-masked] ()
>> > To:            ackanomic
>> > Subject:       Acka : Financial
>> > Date:          Sun, 29 Sep 96 1:21:18 EDT
>> 
>> > 
>> > I transfer A$10 to Techno
>> > I transfer A$10 to Bash
>> > I transfer A$10 to Uncle Sam
>> > I transfer A$10 to IdiotBoy

I guess I'll take the money.

Uncle Sam
I want you to join us in the Underworld

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 11:44:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1293

Proposal 1293 - Mon Sep 30 11:44:19 EDT 1996
Easy Money
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

A new rule shall be created entitled "Easy Money" with the following
text:

- --
If a player posts a message to the public forum containing his intent
to transfer A$ to another player or players, and if that message does
not specify the transfer of any other entity, then the trade is
accomplished immediately.  This rule defers to any rule that limits
the transfer of A$.
- --

{{[ This will make things easier for most everyone, especially me,
and reduce bandwidth usage.  There are no precedence problems, for
R482 leaves open the possibility that other means for trading tradeable
entities will be established. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 11:45:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1294

Proposal 1294 - Mon Sep 30 11:45:06 EDT 1996
Democracy Yes, Republic Yes, Plutocracy No
breadbox  (Brian Raiter)

This is a modest proposal.

Repeal Rule 566 [aka "Tools IV (b)"].

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:08:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1293

> Proposal 1293 - Mon Sep 30 11:44:19 EDT 1996
> Easy Money
> ThinMan  (John Bollinger)
> 
> --
> If a player posts a message to the public forum containing his intent
> to transfer A$ to another player or players, and if that message does
> not specify the transfer of any other entity, then the trade is
> accomplished immediately.  This rule defers to any rule that limits
> the transfer of A$.
> --
> 
My only concern is that it doesn't specify that the A$ are coming from the
account of the player doing the transferring.  Does the protected status of
currency cover this?

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:02:59 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Ackanomic: Proposal 1293

IdiotBoy wrote:

>My only concern is that it doesn't specify that the A$ are coming from the
>account of the player doing the transferring.  Does the protected status of
>currency cover this?

I hereby retract P 1293.  I have already submitted a modified version.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:59:48 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1293

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1293 - Mon Sep 30 11:44:19 EDT 1996
> Easy Money
> ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

> If a player posts a message to the public forum containing his intent
> to transfer A$ to another player or players, and if that message does
> not specify the transfer of any other entity, then the trade is
> accomplished immediately.  This rule defers to any rule that limits
> the transfer of A$.

I thought of this when I rewrote R 482, my concern was that you could
force money on people without their consent.  I know this sounds like a
weird objection, but I never liked the idea of forced receipt of
anything.  Who knows what twisted loophole will emerge that will make
owning money bad.

Of course, you can always give it back, so if there is a loophole, it
becomes a timing issue at that point.  As my objection is hypothetical,
and the problem is real, I will vote YES, and if someone starts forcing
money down my throat, I'll worry about it then.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 13:10:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1267 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1267
  Proposal 1267 - Sun Sep 22 20:31:40 EDT 1996
  Freedom of Religion
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 22 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

5 YES votes   12 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 7 points.  44 -> 37

5 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   37 -> 40           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            45 -> 48           
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)            36 -> 39           
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld            32 -> 35           

12 NO votes:  
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  36               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  30               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  30               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  35               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  21               
  IdiotBoy                                    =   1               
  Extra Vote 1                                =   0               
  fnord                                       =  33               
  breadbox                                    =  18               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  21               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =  36               

0 PRESENT votes:

8 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Brinjal                                     
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Habeous Corpus                              
  skinny                                      
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Dagny                                       
  Tim                                         

============================
A$100 was spent by Niccolo Flychuck to buy an extra vote
A$5 was spent by Malenkai to bribe the Tammany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 13:12:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1268 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1268
  Proposal 1268 - Sun Sep 22 20:31:59 EDT 1996
  Commission d'Arts
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 22 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

12 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  40 -> 50

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  50               
  Brinjal                                     =  42               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  36               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  48               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  38               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  35               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  39               
  IdiotBoy                                    =   1               
  fnord                                       =  33               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  21               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  35               

4 NO votes:  3 points each
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                30 -> 33           
  Bash                   Underworld            30 -> 33           
  Techno                 Underworld            21 -> 24           
  Uncle Sam              Underworld            36 -> 39           

1 PRESENT votes:
  breadbox                                     =  18

6 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Bascule                FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Dagny                                       
i======================
Malenkai spent A$5 to bribe the Tammany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1268 - Sun Sep 22 20:31:59 EDT 1996
Commission d'Arts
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule reading:

1) Upon the end of a cycle which exceeded 30 days in length, or as
otherwise directed by the rules, The "Comission d'Arts" (Commission)
shall begin session, which shall last for 7 days.  The Senators shall
be the Comissioners, thus composing this body.  Exception:  No Commission
shall be started if it has been less than 60 days since any previous
one has been started.  This clause takes precedence over any other in any
Mutable rule dealing with the starting of a Commission d'Arts session.

2) At the end of the session, the Comission shall produce, and publically
post, a report listing 4 Nominees for the Silver Moon award.  A Nominee
must be a work of art from Acka's past, such as a Silly Vacation Hat
description, Phoebe post, Gaoler poem, Prosthetic Forehead, etc.  Rules,
Proposals, and other written works are also permissable, but are
discouraged as Nominees, unless they are truly meritorious.  One constraint
is that the Nominee must be publically accessable from a web page
maintained by the Web-Harfer.  Material created by non-active players
is discouraged as a Nominee.
  
3) Each Nominee in a given report must be unique, but Nominees from a 
previous
report may appear on the current one, except that no Nominee which
previously won a vote under this rule may be a Nominee again.

4) If the Comission fails to produce the report in within the constraints
of this rule, each Senator is placed in Contempt.

5) Upon the issuance of the report, the Assistant Tabulator will take
votes for 3 days, during which each player may vote once on which
Nominee they prefer, after which the voting results and winning Nominee
are released.  If the voting is tied at the end of the 3 day voting
period, the Assistant Tabulator shall break the tie by random
determination.

6) Upon a winning Nominee being announced, the author (or player who
originally posted the material, in the case of something like Phoebe's
wisdom) of the material is awarded the Silver Moon, and a cash prize of
A$75, if they are a registered player.  If they are not a registered
player, their Undead begin haunting said entities, unless there is no
Undead associated with the author, in which case no awards are created
or bestowed.

7) The Silver Moon recipient, if a registereed player, is required to make
an acceptance speech, not to exceed 10,000 words, unless they are in Gaol,
in which case they will be represented by a cardboard cutout on wheels,
which will lower the whole tone of the occasion, and they will lose 5
points for detracting from the festivities (although they stil receive the
above awards, of course).

8) It is a duty of the Web-Harfer to so note on the web pages which
material has won a Silver Moon for its recipient.

9) A Silver Moon may only be created in accordance with the rules, and
awarded in accordance with the rules.  When one is required for this
occasion, it is made by that Frobozz Magic Medal Company, Ackanomic
Division.

{{10) all extant Silver Moons are destroyed.  A Comission d'Arts session
shall now begin.}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 13:12:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1269 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1269
  Proposal 1269 - Sun Sep 22 20:32:15 EDT 1996
  Newton, Apples, and Parties
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 22 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

12 YES votes   2 NO votes   3 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points.  30 -> 40

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  40               
  Brinjal                                     =  42               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  36               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  40               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  48               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  38               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  35               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  21               
  IdiotBoy                                    =   1               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =  36               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  35               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Bash                   Underworld            30 -> 33           
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)            39 -> 42           

3 PRESENT votes:
  fnord                                        =  33
  breadbox                                     =  18
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  21

6 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Bascule                FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Dagny                                       

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1269 - Sun Sep 22 20:32:15 EDT 1996
Newton, Apples, and Parties
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule entitled "Newton, Apples, and Parties" which
contains the following text:

"
1. Let NoS be the the number of Swingers, excluding Swinger on Vacation,
including Acting Swingers.
2. Every two weeks, on Tuesday, Swingers, whose Weights are greater
than zero, are awarded points according to
the following scheme:
a. The Swinger or Swinger with the highest Absolute Weight receives 3
points.
b. The Swinger or Swingers with the second highest Absolute Weight
receives 2 points
c. The Swinger or Swingers with the third highest Absolute Weight receives
1 point.

A Swinger who received points accroding to one of those sections, is not
eligible to receive points by subsequent sections.

{{The first Tuesday after this proposal has been accepted, will be the
first Tuesday on which Swingers receive points according to this rule.}}

{{[At first I thought of includign provisions for higher scores when there
are more Swingers, but for the time being, I'd prefer to start with
something simpler.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 13:13:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1270 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1270
  Proposal 1270 - Sun Sep 22 20:51:45 EDT 1996
  Handicapping and Glory
  Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Quorum met : 22 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

8 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Guy Fawkes loses 7 points.  42 -> 35

8 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   40 -> 43           
  Brinjal                                      42 -> 45           
  ThinMan                Vulcan                36 -> 39           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            48 -> 51           
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                35 -> 38           
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)            35 -> 38           
  IdiotBoy                                      1 -> 4            
  Wayne                  Underworld            35 -> 38           

7 NO votes:  
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  40               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  33               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  38               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  21               
  fnord                                       =  33               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  21               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =  36               

0 PRESENT votes:

7 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      
  breadbox                                    
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Dagny                                       
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 13:13:31 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1271 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1271
  Proposal 1271 - Sun Sep 22 22:05:48 EDT 1996
  Poet Laureate
  Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Quorum met : 22 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

12 YES votes   4 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points.  38 -> 48

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  43               
  Brinjal                                     =  45               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  39               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  40               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  51               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  38               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  38               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  48               
  fnord                                       =  33               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  21               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  38               

4 NO votes:  3 points each
  Bash                   Underworld            33 -> 36           
  Techno                 Underworld            21 -> 24           
  IdiotBoy                                      4 -> 7            
  Uncle Sam              Underworld            36 -> 39           

0 PRESENT votes:

7 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Bascule                FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      
  breadbox                                    
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Dagny                                       

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1271 - Sun Sep 22 22:05:48 EDT 1996
Poet Laureate
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

The Office of Poet Laureate exists.  It is not necessary that this office 
be filled -- if there are no volunteers to fill it, no measures 
need be taken to fill it.  The Duties are:

	1) To compose poetry as described below.
	2) To maintain a web page preserving the literary heritage of Acka.

Once a month, the President may require the Poet Laureate to compose a 
poem to commemorate an important milestone in Ackan history (winning a 
cycle of internomic, a great e-mail blizzard, the resolution of a major 
crisis, the enshrinement of an Elder, etc.) or to liven a festive occasion 
(any of the Public Gatherings listed in Rule 1237 are appropriate).  These 
lists are by no means all-conclusive, and the President may require the 
Poet Laureate to compose for just about any event, although if players 
feel he is using this power frivolously, they are permitted to sneer.  
The Poet Laureate has seven days from the date of the President's request 
to publically post such a poem, unless the President's original public 
request allows him a longer period of time.  The Poet Laureate receives no 
special compensation for such compositions.

Other players may commission the Poet Laureate to write poems on their 
behalf (to commemorate great accomplishments of theirs, to mock their 
adversaries, or just to make sure their otherwise imminently forgettable 
career will be recorded somewhere).  It is solely the privelege of the Poet 
Laureate to earn fees for such works, though he may refuse to accept a 
commission entirely.  The amount of the commission fee can be anything 
agreed on by both the commissioning player and the Poet Laureate, so long 
as this does not conflict with rules regarding transfers of currency or 
entities.  For such a commission to have effect, a public post must be 
made giving the commissioning player, the fee (if any), and the date by 
which the work must be completed.

The Poet Laureate must also maintain a web page recording the literary 
treasures of Acka.  Such items include poems of the Poet Laureate, Party 
Hall Party poems, sad little Gaol songs and Dueling Limericks (should 
such styles exist), and any other works of verse or song described in the 
rules.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 13:14:03 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1272 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1272
  Proposal 1272 - Sun Sep 22 22:05:50 EDT 1996
  Acka Day
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 22 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

8 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 7 points.  39 -> 32

8 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   32 -> 35           
  Brinjal                                      48 -> 51           
  ThinMan                Vulcan                42 -> 45           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            54 -> 57           
  Habeous Corpus                               41 -> 44           
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                41 -> 44           
  fnord                                        36 -> 39           
  Wayne                  Underworld            41 -> 44           

6 NO votes:  
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  40               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  36               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  48               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  24               
  IdiotBoy                                    =   7               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =  39               

1 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  21

7 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Bascule                FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      
  breadbox                                    
  Mohammed                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Dagny                                       

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:17:18 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 288 Appeal Verdict

On CFJ 288:

The Supreme Court overturns the original decision to FALSE, and penalizes
the original Judge one point.

Sep 30 13:12 EDT: -1 fnord: CFJ 288 overturned.

For the record, the CFJ was delivered to the CotC in time to avoid
penalties.  Would the Web-Harfer note IdiotBoy's appeal reasoning and
the R 563 reasoning added by ThinMan and Malenkai.

Also, the initiator of the CFJ shall receive the Chartreuse Goose from
Somewhere Else.

For the record, the Justices were Niccolo Flychuck and mr cwm.

Clerk of the Courts 
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 288
  Subject: Pious Player Prosthesis Paradox
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: Mellon (declined to judge)
    Judge: fnord (selected Sep 16, 1996, 11:16h New York Time)
Judgement: TRUE
   Appeal: FALSE

Statement:

The legality of wearing a Prosthetic Forehead, if one is a member
of a Church whose Church policy contains both the lines, "Thou shalt wear a
Prosthetic Forehead at all times," and, "Thou shalt not wear a Prosthetic
Forehead," cannot be determined with finality.

Guy Fawkes Reasoning: The relevant rule sections are R775, 3c, which reads,

"All Church members must abide by Church Policy as long as they are members
of
the Church."

and R818, paragraph 3, which begins,

"A player may wear a Prosthetic Forehead that they own..."

Since neither rule makes relevant precedence claims, R775 takes
precedence, from which we can conclude that a Church's policy may both
limit the rights of its members to wear Prosthetic Foreheads and require
them to do so, and that such limitations or requirements are in this case
legally binding as long as a player is a member of that Church.  If a
Church policy both forbids and requires the wearing of a Prosthetic
forehead, since there is no means in the rules to establish precedence of
contradictory statements within Church Policy, R773 3c become a
self-contradictory statement, and the Church member's right to wear the
Prosthetic Forehead cannot be determined.

fnord's Reasoning:

Yikes, this was tougher than I expected.  Should have either
declined it or gotten Malenkai's help while he was still my
Mentor.  I was equally willing to say TRUE and FALSE to this one,
for rather strong reasons.

Church Rule never says that Church Policy must be determinate,
nor that it must be self-consistent, nor that it be
non-self-contradictory, nor even that it follow the other Rules,
although one would expect compliance with the rules.  Therefore,
Church Policy is able to dictate the actions of the Church's
members in any way it sees fit.

CFJ286 already has precedence for not judging INVALID a CFJ that
is rhetorical, although it does not cover hypothetical.

In this (admittedly rhetorical, and therefore, probably should
have INVALIDated the CFJ, although precedence says it's okay)
instance, the people in the hypothetical Church in question
should both wear the Forehead and not wear the forehead at the
same time.  In either case, they would be abiding by the Church
Policy and also *not* abiding by the Church Policy.  This would
lead them to be following and also breakig the Rules at the same
time.  Now, while *I* personally have no problem with something
being in two states at the same time (having studied entirely too
much physics), the Rules do not allow for something to be both
Legal and Illegal at the same time.  Therefore, I cannot see any
other verdict for this CFJ than TRUE.

IdiotBoy's Appeal Reasoning:

I don't disagree with the verdict (it CAN'T be determined with finality.)
But I don't see this is a valid CFJ, since this paradox does not exist
within the rules.  I could submit a CFJ of the variety ("The truth of the
statement "the judge will not find this CFJ to be true" cannot be determined
with finality.)  Also, will prove to be true, but hardly a basis for a
paradox win.  In fact it is another invalid CFJ.

Malenkai's R 563 Reasoning:

I believe CFJ 288 should have been judged FALSE.  I would appeal it,
but IdiotBoy has done so already.  His reasoning is completely different
than mine, so I at least wished to add the reasoning I would have used,
and wish that the Supreme Court consider it.

First of all, I want to talk about Invalid for a little bit.  I do not
believe this, and other CFJs, should be ruled Invalid unless the statement
is malformed, self-contradictory, or multiple statements, etc.

Hypothetical statements do not fall into this category.  If the statement
is worded so that TRUE or FALSE is possible, one of those verdicts should
be rendered, unless it is a statement of the type above.  There is a
plethora of hypothetical statements in the CFJ archive that have been
judged TRUE or FALSE without a problem.  The fact that someone could win
the game as a result of a particular CFJ verdict does not justify the
cop-out of judging it Invalid.  It is the statement that is under
judgement, not the reasoning or the consequences of the verdict.

Thus I would like to reverse this growing trend of game custom, and am
going for a verdict of FALSE, not Invalid, on CFJ 288, the proper verdict,
IMO.

A verdict of FALSE can be arrived at from 2 different lines of reasoning,
each of which is independent of the other:

The first is based on CFJ 298.  If CFJ 298 is judged TRUE, CFJ 288 should
be judged FALSE.

If CFJ 298 is judged TRUE because R 775 is neutered via R 108, then churches
and church policy come under R 115.  Reasoning similar to that of CFJ 283
will alleviate the alledged paradox in CFJ 288.

If CFJ 298 is judged TRUE, but R 775 stands, the following will alleviate
the paradox:

Hypothetical Church Policy States:
The member must wear a prosthetic forehead.
The member must not wear a prosthetic forehead.

It is not possible to follow both dictums.  One or the other will be
followed.  In following one, the other will be not followed.  This
not following is a violation of R 775, 3c, hence is a violation of the
rules.  If CFJ 298 is TRUE, however, the provision which forces this
violation of the rules may, indeed must, be ignored.  Thus the paradox
is alleviated.  The provision opposite of what the member choose to follow
may be ignored, per a TRUE on CFJ 298.

The second argument will alleviate the paradox even if CFJ 298 is not
judged TRUE, although I do not see *how* it cannot be judged TRUE.

Church policy mandates doing something illegal/impossible.  In order
to comply with R 101, and not break R 775, 3c, the member will be forced
to leave the church, per R 775, 3c, second part.  Thus whether or not the
ex-member may wear a forehead can be determined with finality; in fact,
R 818 specifies the conditions of doing so.  I note that in this senerio,
all members will be forced to leave the church as soon as its policy is
asking them to break the rules/do something impossible, thus the church
will dissolve, leaving it with no paradoxical policy, or even existance,
whatsoever.

ThinMan's R 563 Reasoning:

It is my opinion CFJ 288 is FALSE.  If a hypothetical Church Policy
States:
        Each member must wear a prosthetic forehead.
        Each member must not wear a prosthetic forehead.
then the legality of a member of that Church wearing a Prosthetic
Forehead is not at all unclear.  The action is illegal, because it is
a violation of Church Policy.  The fact that not wearing a Prosthetic
Forehead is also illegal has no bearing on the matter whatsoever.  Any
player who at any time was a member of such a Church would immediately be
in violation of the Rules.

Supreme Court's Reasoning:

The Court agrees that INVALID would have been an improper decision for
this CFJ, as, by R598/8, that decsion is reserved for CFJ's that contain
empty, contradictory, or multiple statements, or that are fundamentally
duplications of previous CFJ's.

The Court finds the argument presented by ThinMan and the second argument
presented by Malenkai to be sound, namely that no legally existing Church
could have such a policy, as it could legally have no members. Thus, it
can be determined with finality that a player may wear a Prosthetic
Forehead in accord with R818, but they must leave their Church in accord
with R775(3c) part 2.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:26:33 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Ackanomic: Proposal 1293

Malenkai wrote:

>I thought of this when I rewrote R 482, my concern was that you could
>force money on people without their consent.  I know this sounds like a
>weird objection, but I never liked the idea of forced receipt of
>anything.  Who knows what twisted loophole will emerge that will make
>owning money bad.
>
>Of course, you can always give it back, so if there is a loophole, it
>becomes a timing issue at that point.  As my objection is hypothetical,
>and the problem is real, I will vote YES, and if someone starts forcing
>money down my throat, I'll worry about it then.

Giving the money back is precisely the response I would anticipate
if someone starts passing around unwanted A$.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:03:08 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

Guy Fawkes is acting gaoler.
Robin Hood is acting NAP swinger

I am conducting the nomination for Poet Laureate, which will last for
3 days.  If you wish to volunteer, e-mail me.

Malenkai
speaker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 14:40:09 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1295

Proposal 1295 - Mon Sep 30 14:40:09 EDT 1996
Simplifying the scorekeeper's job somewhat
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 1089.2 by adding the following sentence to the end of section 3a:

  All score changes due to a single event occur simultaneously.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 13:47:01 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Ambassador's reques

I vote NO on Internomic proposal 307.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 14:53:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1296

Proposal 1296 - Mon Sep 30 14:53:51 EDT 1996
Changing voting requirements from 2/3 to 60%
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend Rule 581 by changing "two-thirds" to "three-fifths".

{{[ Is this what Underworld wanted? ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:57:36 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1270 Fails

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Here are the voting results for : 1270
>   Proposal 1270 - Sun Sep 22 20:51:45 EDT 1996
>   Handicapping and Glory
>   Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

> 8 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
> Proposal FAILS

> 7 NO votes:
>   Bash                   Underworld           =  33

By my count, Bash's no vote is against the rules and shall
be changed to YES in accordance with R 431.  It does not
affect the outcome unless another vote is found, but sometimes
other votes are found, so who knows....

I encourage Guy to resubmit this proposal, as we don't know if
it would have really passed.

Malenkai
in charge of trying to keep track of picyune details

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #270
*******************************