Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #257
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Monday, September 23 1996      Volume 01 : Number 257

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 01:39:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 115 Verdict

CFCJ 115 has been judged TRUE.

Penalty: Fine of A$30, Transferrence of A$20 from IdiotBoy to snowgod
4 days in the Gaol for IdiotBoy

The penalites shall be assesed after a 3 day grace period.

Clerk of the Courts
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 115
  Subject:  Illegal Press
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  Guy Fawkes (declined to judge)
2nd Judge:  Calvin N Hobbes (selected Sep 20, 1996, 20:40 EDT)
Judgement:  TRUE

Statement:

IdiotBoy has broken the rules.

snowgod's comments:

IdiotBoy has started a newsparer (the Hot Tips Newletter) in violation of
R891, which states that "Any Player may start a newspaper, by publically
declaring that they are doing so.  Newspapers must be given names, which
must be announced at the same time that the newspaper is created.  A small
fee of A$20 must be paid to the treasury to cover start-up costs."

IdiotBoy may or may not have complied with the first two sentences of R891,
depending on interpretaion, but there can be no doubt that he has not
complied with the third sentence that requires him to pay a fee of A$20 to
the treasury.

The rules do not define exactly what a newspaper is, but I contend that the
Hot Tips Newsletter is exactly that.  It is a weekly report, always
published under the same title.  It contains news and information which is
meant to inform it subscribers.  IdiotBoy calls himself "editor" of the HTN
(and who has heard of an editor with no publication?).

With no clear defination of a newspaper in the rules, the judge must reach
his desicion in accordance with currently existing game custom (which would
require the common sense interpretation of a what a newspaper is) and the
spirit of the game (which is tough on crime).

Suggested Penalty:

A FINE of $150 credits [due to the commercial nature of the publication]
payable to the treasury.

and

a SENTENCE in the Gaol of 3 days

Calvin N Hobbes reasoning:

Snowgod (frozenwaterdeity?) puts forward reasonable questions and draws a
fair conclusion. Trying to circumvent the law by avoiding the name yet
assuming its definition (a publication) should not be allowed, however
worthy and useful the endeavor. It must follow the rules.

Actual Penalty:

Given the situation, the fine will be of A$30. It is a commercial
publication but it would not be right to give a fine so large as to render
useless all of IdiotBoy's good efforts at earning a profit from his hard
work. Also, A$20 will be transferred to the account of snowgod
(forzenwaterdeity?) to cover the court fee.

However, the Rules are the Rules and must be followed. There is also the
fact that the financial penalty was reduced. Therefore IdiotBoy is sentenced
to 4 full days in the Goal to meditate upon his crime.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 01:35:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 297 Verdict

CFJ 297 has been judged TRUE, without comment.  Obviously, assuming the
veracity of the statement, this does not qualify as a winning condition
for the initiator.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 297
  Subject: Paradox of winning by Paradox
Initiator: IdiotBoy
    Judge: Techno (selected Sep 22, 1996, 10:17h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

It can not be determined with finality whether it is possible to win
by paradox.

IdiotBoy's Reasoning:

Rule 215 gives judges the power to use game custom to make a decision when
the Rules are "silent, inconsistent, or unclear" on a statement in question.
Inconsistent must be construed as to mean that the Rules could be
interpreted to both allow and disallow an action or interpretation. This
would give Judges the power to resolve questions where a statement or action
is equally legal and illegal.

Rule 219 states that if "some action appears equally legal and illegal" then
the player may call for Judgement on the action.  If the Judgement is
returned TRUE than the player is declared the winner.

The Rules state that Judges are required to use game custom to resolve
potential paradoxes (inconsistencies) and also that Judges are to return a
verdict which declares a paradox to exist.  The proper course for a Judge
can not be determined.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 01:35:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 297 Verdict

CFJ 297 has been judged TRUE, without comment.  Obviously, assuming the
veracity of the statement, this does not qualify as a winning condition
for the initiator.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 297
  Subject: Paradox of winning by Paradox
Initiator: IdiotBoy
    Judge: Techno (selected Sep 22, 1996, 10:17h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

It can not be determined with finality whether it is possible to win
by paradox.

IdiotBoy's Reasoning:

Rule 215 gives judges the power to use game custom to make a decision when
the Rules are "silent, inconsistent, or unclear" on a statement in question.
Inconsistent must be construed as to mean that the Rules could be
interpreted to both allow and disallow an action or interpretation. This
would give Judges the power to resolve questions where a statement or action
is equally legal and illegal.

Rule 219 states that if "some action appears equally legal and illegal" then
the player may call for Judgement on the action.  If the Judgement is
returned TRUE than the player is declared the winner.

The Rules state that Judges are required to use game custom to resolve
potential paradoxes (inconsistencies) and also that Judges are to return a
verdict which declares a paradox to exist.  The proper course for a Judge
can not be determined.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 01:39:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 115 Verdict

CFCJ 115 has been judged TRUE.

Penalty: Fine of A$30, Transferrence of A$20 from IdiotBoy to snowgod
4 days in the Gaol for IdiotBoy

The penalites shall be assesed after a 3 day grace period.

Clerk of the Courts
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Criminal Judgement 115
  Subject:  Illegal Press
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  Guy Fawkes (declined to judge)
2nd Judge:  Calvin N Hobbes (selected Sep 20, 1996, 20:40 EDT)
Judgement:  TRUE

Statement:

IdiotBoy has broken the rules.

snowgod's comments:

IdiotBoy has started a newsparer (the Hot Tips Newletter) in violation of
R891, which states that "Any Player may start a newspaper, by publically
declaring that they are doing so.  Newspapers must be given names, which
must be announced at the same time that the newspaper is created.  A small
fee of A$20 must be paid to the treasury to cover start-up costs."

IdiotBoy may or may not have complied with the first two sentences of R891,
depending on interpretaion, but there can be no doubt that he has not
complied with the third sentence that requires him to pay a fee of A$20 to
the treasury.

The rules do not define exactly what a newspaper is, but I contend that the
Hot Tips Newsletter is exactly that.  It is a weekly report, always
published under the same title.  It contains news and information which is
meant to inform it subscribers.  IdiotBoy calls himself "editor" of the HTN
(and who has heard of an editor with no publication?).

With no clear defination of a newspaper in the rules, the judge must reach
his desicion in accordance with currently existing game custom (which would
require the common sense interpretation of a what a newspaper is) and the
spirit of the game (which is tough on crime).

Suggested Penalty:

A FINE of $150 credits [due to the commercial nature of the publication]
payable to the treasury.

and

a SENTENCE in the Gaol of 3 days

Calvin N Hobbes reasoning:

Snowgod (frozenwaterdeity?) puts forward reasonable questions and draws a
fair conclusion. Trying to circumvent the law by avoiding the name yet
assuming its definition (a publication) should not be allowed, however
worthy and useful the endeavor. It must follow the rules.

Actual Penalty:

Given the situation, the fine will be of A$30. It is a commercial
publication but it would not be right to give a fine so large as to render
useless all of IdiotBoy's good efforts at earning a profit from his hard
work. Also, A$20 will be transferred to the account of snowgod
(forzenwaterdeity?) to cover the court fee.

However, the Rules are the Rules and must be followed. There is also the
fact that the financial penalty was reduced. Therefore IdiotBoy is sentenced
to 4 full days in the Goal to meditate upon his crime.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:40:09 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1256

This is another step on the way to becoming way too party-centric. It's
time to start enhencing Churches a bit. It would make for a much more
interesting game.
Niccolo Flychuck

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1256 - Thu Sep 19 12:04:22 EDT 1996
> Possessions of the Parties
> IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)
> 
> Amend Rule 542 to include the following as its third paragraph:
> 
> Political Parties are permitted to possess Entities and manipulate them as
> defined in the Rules.  This Rule takes precendance over all rules which
> would prohibit Political Parties from possessing Entities.
> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:41:52 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Party Refunds

I have the same objection to this. Too much Party stuff.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1257 - Thu Sep 19 12:05:09 EDT 1996
> Refund I
> IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)
> 
> If a Political Party attains a Unity vote on a proposal and aforementioned
> Proposal fails, A$100 shall be transferred from the Treasury to the
> Political Party.
> 
> 
> 
> 

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1258 - Thu Sep 19 12:05:28 EDT 1996
> Refund II
> IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)
> 
> If a Political Party attains a Unity vote on a Proposal and aforementioned
> Proposal passes, A$50 shall be transferred from the Treasury to the
> Political Party.
> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:32:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Churches.

The problem with enhancing churches, in general, is the current lack of
churches to benefit from such enhancement.  Of course the reason there are
so few churches is that there is little to enhance a player for joining one.

If we give more power to the churches, I am sure that someone will complain
that we are missing the point of the game.  Despite the fact that the game
is contantly in flux.  This game could become Doctrine Checkers.  <GASP>

Warming up my harmonica for those long lonely days in Gaol-
IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:40:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Appeal for Pardon

I, hereby, appeal to the President for a pardon for my crimes.  Serving
time in Gaol would cripple my business which requires that I am available to
make trades of PFBonds.  In Gaol I will be unable to repay Ackanomic society
what I owe it.

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:27:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Harfmeister

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

>
>P 1194 is the only harfy proposal at this time.  I have submitted a
>CSR to fix this several days ago, and have not heard from the CSRR.
>
>I will submit a modest proposal to fix this if I don't hear soon.

Sorry.  I've got a little list going that I am about to submit.  (I'm not
a very active player some weekends.)

- -mr cwm
 slightly delinquent CSRR Officer
 wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:45:59 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Churches.

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, IdiotBoy wrote:

> The problem with enhancing churches, in general, is the current lack of
> churches to benefit from such enhancement.  Of course the reason there are
> so few churches is that there is little to enhance a player for joining one.
Precisely.  Such rules will give some players reasons for creating more
Churches. Currently Parties have some political power, the unity vote is
one example.
Churches can be given a financial role.  Since Party membership has
nothing to do with Church membership, players would interact differently
with different aspects of the game.
 > 
> If we give more power to the churches, I am sure that someone will complain
> that we are missing the point of the game.  Despite the fact that the game
> is contantly in flux.  This game could become Doctrine Checkers.  <GASP>
> 
This has nothing to do with power. The Ackanomic economy has recently
picked up a bit, partially due to the sudden interest in the PFBond
market. I think the idea that Organizations could be economically entities
is a good one, but this is an experiment I'd rather see carried out with
Churches, than with Parties.  It will create some sort of a balance, it
will encourage the creation of more Churches.
Further-more, I'd rather that Church membership remain exclusive, and that
is why I will vote NO on Malenkai's proposal to ammend R775  section 6.
It has nothing to do with what is better. Being the only other form of
official organization, I see the Church serving as some form of
counterpoint to the Party structure. If the Acka population were bigger, I
might have proposed another kind of Organization, one in which membership
were not exclusive, and which would also be essentially different than
either Parties, or Churches. Perhaps I'll RFC a couple just to see how it
goes.

Niccolo Flychuck

 > Warming up my harmonica for those long lonely days in Gaol- 
> IB
> --
> IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
> [email-masked]
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 08:45:44 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

I am invoking R 563 to add these comments to CFJ 288:

It is my opinion CFJ 288 is FALSE.  If a hypothetical Church Policy
States:
	Each member must wear a prosthetic forehead.
	Each member must not wear a prosthetic forehead.
then the legality of a member of that Church wearing a Prosthetic
Forehead
is not at all unclear.  The action is illegal, because it is a violation
of Church
Policy.  The fact that not wearing a Prosthetic Forehead is also illegal
has
no bearing on the matter whatsoever.  Any player who at any time was a
member of such a Church would immediately be in violation of the Rules.

ThinMan
Bronze Torch holder
shining the light of truth

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:23:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  CSR 6

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm, CSRR Officer, wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

I hereby submit the following proposed rule changes as CSR 6.  I do not
believe there are any current controversies surrounding any of these
changes, but I remind all that objections by two different players posted
within three days will prevent them. Thanks to Malenkai, Niccolo Flychuck,
and snowgod for their suggestions.

- --------

Amend R695 by appending the following text:

{{All CSR's, past and present, shall have 100 added to their number if
their number is less than 101.}}

- --------

Amend R569 to remove the following sentance (note that there actually is
no penalty):

"In the event that a player opposes the appeal, they may appeal agian to
the Supreme Court by paying the penalty."

- --------

Amend R by appending the following text:

"if the player provides the information."

- --------

Amend R1112.1 by appending the following text:

{{P1194 hereby loses its Harfy status.}}

- --------

Amend R1237 by increasing all numbers in the enumerated list by one, and
numbering "Witch Burnings" as 1).

- --------

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:29:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR 6 objection

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm, CSR Officer, wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

Oh, pooh.  I object to CSR 6 as being impossibly vague in the matter of
"if the player provides the information."  Someone else object, and I'll
get a corrected version out.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:36:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSR 6 objection continued

... and R596 has been fixed by proposal.  The effects of my vacation
continue to haunt me.  I need to withdraw from society and devote myself
to Ackanomic full-time :)

- -mr cwm
 increasingly embarrassed CSR Officer
 wearing a Silly Vacation hat

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:00:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CSR 6 objection

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, mr cwm wrote:

> To:   Ackanomians
> From: mr cwm, CSR Officer, wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
> 
> Oh, pooh.  I object to CSR 6 as being impossibly vague in the matter of
> "if the player provides the information."  Someone else object, and I'll
> get a corrected version out.
> 
Man, do I object!  That one section is impossibly vague!

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:16:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Another, Different Objection.

I was looking over the CotC page, and I noticed my two paradox CFJs were
labelled as frivilous.  Now, they may have no merit, and may deserve to be
judged FALSE, but CFJs CAN be submitted in this form for reasons OTHER than
attempting to win the game.  In addition, doesn't "frivilous" have a
specific game meaning, which does NOT apply to these CFJs?  

I realize that the CotC page is not a public forum and I don't request that
any action be taken in "my defense", but I think it is in poor taste to
label someone else's work as frivilous.

Working on my own agenda-
IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:20:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  by R891

I am starting a newspaper which will be called "Hot Tips Newsletter".  This
paper will be available by subscription only.

The Financier will please note my A$20 payment to the Treasury to cover the
start up costs of my publication.

Outlaw no more-
IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 12:17:22 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Another, Different Objection.

IdiotBoy wrote:

> I realize that the CotC page is not a public forum and I don't request that
> any action be taken in "my defense", but I think it is in poor taste to
> label someone else's work as frivilous.

I was actually condsidering discontinuing the CotC page because it is
alot of work, no one has once commented positively on it, and I wasn't
sure if anyone ever read it.

As it seems that there is objection to its content,  it shall be
discontinued.  No offense was meant, the labels were really for my benefit
so that I could remember the gist of the CFJ, and preserve precious space.

Sorry if the content was offensive (remember "tongue-in-cheek" :))
Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 12:36:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Another, Different Objection.

On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> I was actually condsidering discontinuing the CotC page because it is
> alot of work, no one has once commented positively on it, and I wasn't
> sure if anyone ever read it.
> 
I read it.  And I'd like to comment positively on it.  It saves me the
trouble of saving incesssant email messages.. and I can randomly access them
faster that way.  I like it, and I wish it would stay.  

> As it seems that there is objection to its content, it shall be
> discontinued.  No offense was meant, the labels were really for my benefit
> so that I could remember the gist of the CFJ, and preserve precious space.
> 
Ok, I just wanted to maek clear that from MY perspective they weren't
frivilous.  I appreciate the work you do on the page.  I guess my concern is
that people would read the page and assume that I had indicated to you that
these CFJ were frivilous.

> Sorry if the content was offensive (remember "tongue-in-cheek" :)) 
> Clerk of the Courts
> 
I remember, trust me.  I regretted the tone of my post, after I read it, and
apologize for such.

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:42:13 -0500
From: "Bollinger, John C." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka: Another, Different Objection.

I don't know about anyone else, but I do sometimes check the CotC page,
and find it useful.  However, I do not check it reularly, and if I'm the
only one
then it probably isn't worth the extra work for Malenkai.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 12:47:04 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Another, Different Objection.

IdiotBoy wrote:

> Ok, I just wanted to maek clear that from MY perspective they weren't
> frivilous.  I appreciate the work you do on the page.  I guess my concern 
> is
> that people would read the page and assume that I had indicated to you that
> these CFJ were frivilous.

I have received private comment that someone else likes it (actually
2 comments).  I will change those titles, but remember, I cannot use the
CFJ title because they are generally too long.  If you look at the CFJ
title associated with them, it is different.

IdiotBoy never indicated that these were frivilous, and I apologise.

In the future, however, I would appreciate it if anyone else is offended
by the content of my pages, or any other officer's, that they take it
up with that officer privately first.

Clerk of the Courts
just trying to add a little humour to a thankless job :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1237 Passes

> The four people who voted NO on this proposal were my oppenant in the last
> election and three new players who weren't around to witness the silliness.
> 
> >4 NO votes:  3 points each
> >  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 3 -> 6
> >  Bash                   Underworld             6 -> 9
> >  fnord                                         3 -> 6
> >  breadbox                                      3 -> 6

Actually, I did witness the silliness (or at least part of it) as an
observer. The reason I voted against it was that I felt that a player
shouldn't need to have money to fulfill Presidential duties.

b

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 14:41:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1273

Proposal 1273 - Mon Sep 23 14:41:54 EDT 1996
Gumball Precedence
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

This rule defers precedence to R210 and any other rules that deal with
resolving conflicts, except for during the twelve hours immediatly
following the legal chewing of the ackanomic gumball [12 hours from the
time of the announced chewing in the time zone in which the gumball was
chewed], at which time it takes precedence over R210 and any other
applicable rules.

If two or more mutable rules conflict with one another, or if two or more
immutable rules conflict with one another, then the rule with the highest
effective ordinal number takes precedence. If at least one of the rules in
conflict explicitly says of itself that it defers to another rule (or type
of rule) or takes precedence over another rule (or type of rule), then such
provisions shall be reversed and the rule that claims precedence shall
defer precedence. If two or more rules claim to take precedence over one
another, or to defer to one another, then the numerical method must again
govern except in cases where one of the rules containes the word silly,
than it shall have precedence.

Hereafter, 'number' refers to a rule's effective ordinal number. Lowest
number is defined as follows:

1. Each rule has a number of the form 'X' or 'X.Y' where X and Y may be any
positive integers.

2. Among a set of rules, the rule(s) with the lowest value of X are
considered to have the lowest number(s).

3. If a rule has the number X and one or more other rules have number(s) of
the form 'X.Y', for the same X and any Y, then the rule with the number 'X'
has the lowest number among these rules.

4. Among a set of rules with the same X, all of which have numbers of the
form 'X.Y', the rule with the lowest value of Y is considered to have the
lowest number.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 14:42:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1274

Proposal 1274 - Mon Sep 23 14:42:26 EDT 1996
Jail House Rock
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

A player who has been sentenced to the Gaol shall sing at least three
stanzas of a sad little Gaol Song before going to Gaol. The lyrics to this
song must be posted to the public forum, so that all players can feel the
pain of the convicted criminal.

This song may be sung at any time during the grace period of the convicted
criminal, but doing so during the hour imediatly before the player is to be
placed in the Gaol is prefered.

A player may, if it is allowed by the gaoler, sing additional stanzas to a
sad little Gaol Song while in Gaol, but is not required to. This section
takes precedence over any rule which would deny a player in the Gaol the
right to sing.

If a player does not sing (and post lyrics) to at least three stanzas of a
sad little Gaol Song before entering the Gaol his sentence shall be
increased by two days.  This clause takes precedence over other applicable
rules, in as much as it allows a sentence to be extended beyond what it
given by the judge.

No player may sing a sad little Gaol Song which is substantially similar to
one which has already been sung by another player.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 14:42:53 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1275

Proposal 1275 - Mon Sep 23 14:42:53 EDT 1996
Senator Removing
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

{{The Party Boss of the Underworld Party may replace any, or all, of the
current Senators with players of his choosing.  This rule takes
precedence over all mutable rules.}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 14:43:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1276

Proposal 1276 - Mon Sep 23 14:43:55 EDT 1996
Grab-a-Donkey
Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Create a game known as Grab-a-Donkey.  The game consists of a
moderator,  known as the Wrangler and players,  who initially comprise
all current active Players of Ackanomic,  not including the Player
designated as the Wrangler,  those on Vacation,  in Gaol,  or otherwise
prohibited from performing official Ackanomic actions.  Each player in
Grab-a-Donkey starts off with one (1) donkey.

The following special equipment is required to play Grab-a-Donkey.  The
equipment will be issued from the Game Box at the start of play,  and all
equipment will automatically be returned to the Game Box at the end of
the game.
One (1) donkey per player
One lariat per player (used to Grab other donkeyes)
One (1) blanket (used to Cover the players own donkey

The Wrangler may call for a Grab-a-Donkey game at any time,  as long as
no Grab-a-Donkey game is currently being played,  nor has been played in
the last thirty (30) days.

{{Initially,  there is no Player with the title Wrangler.  Any Player may
claim the title Wrangler by declaring the start of the first game of
Grab-a-Donkey in a public message.  After the first occurance of
Grab-a-Donkey,  the title of Wrangler will be determined by the outcome
of the game as described in this Rule.}}

The rules of Grab-a-Donkey are as follows:

A. When a new game of Grab-a-Donkey starts, all Players of Ackanomic, 
excluding the Wrangler and those exempted as noted above will be placed
on the Grab-a-Donkey Active List ("GAL" hereafter).

B. Each Round, a player on the GAL will either (a) Cover eir donkey, (b)
Grab a specific players donkey on the GAL, or (c) Stand Around Admiring
Eir Donkey. Unless a player specifies a different choice to the Wrangler
in a private message by the end of the Round, the player will Stand
Around Admiring Eir Donkey.  Rounds will last no less than one full day
(24 hours) and no more than 3 full days (72 hours) from the start of the
game.  Players may change eir action at any time before the end of the
Round

C. If  one player ("A") chose to Grab another players donkey ("B"), and
if B did not Cover eir donkey, then B will lose eir donkey and be removed
from the GAL at the start of the following Round.

D. If only one player on the GAL did not choose to Cover eir donkey, then
all other players will be removed from the GAL at the start of the
following Round.

E. At the end of the Round, the Wrangler will publicly report what each
player on the GAL did, and determine the results.

F. If and when there are exactly zero players left on the GAL, that game
of Grab-a-Donkey shall end.  The current Wrangler shall  retain eir title
until after the next occurance of Grab-a-Donkey.

G. If and when there is exactly one player left on the GAL, that game of
Grab-a-Donkey shall end.  That player shall be considered to be the Belt
Holder of that game of Grab-a-Donkey.  The Belt Holder shall become the
next Wrangler and be awarded a sum of Points equal to the number of
donkeyes e has Grabbed.  E shall also have the right to Propose exactly
one (1) ammending Rule change to the game of Grab-a-Donkey.  Ammending
Proposals shall be handled as any other Rule change Proposal.  This is
the only way Grab-a-Donkey may be ammended.  This takes Precedence over
any Rule that would allow other Players to Propose ammenments.
- -------------------------------------------------------

{{Im submitting this as a normal Proposal,  rather than through the
Games and Contests for two reasons.  First,  it initially affects all
Players,  rather than a few volunteers.  Secondly,  due to the relatively
large number of players required to start the game,  I did not want it
subject to be used in Duels.}}

{{Respectfully submitted,
Habeous Corpus}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 14:47:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1243 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1243
  Proposal 1243 - Sun Sep 15 01:22:31 EDT 1996
  Change of Hunting Season from Gnomes to Geese
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

14 YES votes   5 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  6 -> 16

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  16               
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   3               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  19               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   6               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   9               
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  =   0               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  FUN Unity vote                              =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  12               
  Extra Vote 1                                =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  18               

5 NO votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                   -1 -> 2            
  Techno                 Underworld             4 -> 7            
  fnord                                         6 -> 9            
  breadbox                                      6 -> 9            
  Uncle Sam              Underworld            12 -> 15           

1 PRESENT votes:
  Habeous Corpus                               =   2

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Wendy                                       
i=========================
Malenkai spent A$105 to buy extra votes and bribe the Tammany.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1243 - Sun Sep 15 01:22:31 EDT 1996
Change of Hunting Season from Gnomes to Geese
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[This proposal missed by one vote last time.  I don't give up that
easily.  At the very least, the effects of these rule changes shall be
to reduce bandwidth usage, in serval ways.  I also plan to propose an
amendment that gives the Goose to any criminal who checks into the
Cow Town Hotel (as that rule is too weak now), and have something else
in the queue that will have it flying around.  But don't let those things
sink this proposal, they are seperate amendments.

This rule also gives incentive for score improvement.

BTW, I rewrote the R 219 part to define the term "Paradox Win CFJ", and
to codify CFJ 280, so vote for it for that part :)]}}
 
- ------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 355, "The Voting Gnome"

- -------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitiled "Chartreuse Goose", reading:

Let the Chartreuese Goose exist, it is a unique entity. Initially
it is Somewhere Else. It may only be possessed by one player at a
time.

A player who possesses the Chartreuse Goose may not win the cycle
or game. This clause takes precedence over R 219, R 422, and any other
mutable rule which establishes winning conditions.

The Chartreuse Goose (hereafter called "Goose") is transferred as specified
below. Other rules may specify other ways for it to be transferred.

Conditions upon which the Goose is transferred:

1) Upon a verdict of FALSE on a Paradox Win CFJ, the initiator of the CFJ
receives the Goose from wherever it is.

2) Upon a verdict on a Paradox Win CFJ being overturned to TRUE, the
Goose goes Somewhere Else, if and only if the player possessing it was
the initiator of the CFJ in question. If this judgement is not overruled,
then the player who called for judgement is declared the winner of the
cycle; the win occurring at the time it becomes illegal to appeal the
CFJ under the current rules.

All of the following actions must be announced publically if they are
performed, and the time of such post establishes the time when these
actions occur:

3) A player who has possessed the Goose for at least 7 days may pay
A$200 to the Treasury and cause it to go Somewhere Else.

4) A player who has possessed the Goose for at least 30 days may pay
A$75 to the Treasury and transfer the Goose to the single active player
with the lowest score. The player receiving the Goose receives A$75 from
the Treasury. This option is not available if more than one active player
has the lowest score.  The receiving player may not decline the transfer.

5) A player who possesses the Goose may pay A$350 to the Treasury and
transfer it to any other active player of their choice.  The receiving
player may not decline the transfer.

6) A player possessing a Chartreuse Goose Egg may take the Goose off the
hands of any player who possesses it, provided the Goose owner
agrees to the transaction, and pays a mutually agreed upon amount
of currency (of at least A$50) to the Treasury. The Egg owner will
receive from the Treasury the same amount that the Goose owner payed in,
as compensation.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 219 to read in full:

If the rules are changed so that further play is impossible, or if the
legality of some action cannot be determined with finality, or if some
action appears equally legal and illegal, then a player may call for
judgement on a statement to that effect. 

Such a call for judgement must contain in its reasoning a statement to
the effect that the initiator is claiming a win in accordance with R 219,
on a verdict of True.  Such a CFJ is called a "Paradox Win CFJ".  No CFJ
may be called a Paradox Win CFJ, except as designated by the Rules.
 
If the statement is judged True, and the judgement is not overruled, then
the player who called for judgement is declared the winner of the cycle; 
the win occurring at the time it becomes illegal to appeal the CFJ
under the current rules.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 96 14:59:57 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Underworld Strike

Underworld was formed to have an influence on all aspects of Ackanomic.
We thought that a group of united players should have a louder voice than
that of a single player.  We've made it clear that our votes can by bought
if the price is right.  So far only a few players have taken advantage of
our offer (you know who you are).  But I feel that our business could be
expanded much more.

After consulting with IdiotBoy's financial wizards, we realized that
people don't pay for something when they can get it for free.  So the
only way to get people to pay for our services is to not give it away.

Therefore, we have decided to vote against EVERY proposal that is not
under our services.  If you want to have your proposal pass, please
contact me or any other member of Underworld about doing business.

Wayne
Unnderworld Party Boss

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 14:21:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Overload

I'm back from Dallas, and I see that there is a huge pile of work awaiting me.
I will try to get most of it done tonight.

Malenkai's mail was bouncing yesterday for about 2 or 3 hours, due to
his mail server's /tmp being full.  This is why he thought his mail
wasn't going out, and he re-sent a lot of it.

Our new player Wendy already unsubscribed from the mailing list.
I like the idea of the Official Moron choosing names for players who don't
choose their own names, although I had been considering making a proposal
to have the registrar do it.  I am also considering a CFJ to ask if Tim and
Wendy ever legally joined the game.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #257
*******************************