Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #256
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Monday, September 23 1996      Volume 01 : Number 256

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 20:10:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1269

Niccolo wrote

> Anyway, PartyChess is in the ruleset and it is part of the game.
> Why do you think it is not related to the game?
> That argument can be easily extended to most of of Ackanomic.
> Niccolo Flychuck

Admittedly, you're right about that much.
Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:34:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Harfmeister

P 1237 was harfy and passed.  snowgod became harfmeister and gained
some bonus points

P 1240 was harfy and passed.  Guy Fawkes became harfmeister and gained
some bonus points.

P 1194 is the only harfy proposal at this time.  I have submitted a
CSR to fix this several days ago, and have not heard from the CSRR.

I will submit a modest proposal to fix this if I don't hear soon.

Malenkai
ex-Harfmeister

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:37:48 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: CSR Suggestion 

I just saw this in the rules and didn't want to sponge points (even modest
points) for a cheesy rule fix.  Could the CSRR please fix it? In R1237
(Campaign Promises):

>Witch Burnings
>1) Festivals
>2) Parades
>3) Ackanomic Holidays
>4) The reading of a depressing and awfully-written 8-line poem written by
>the gaoler in accordance with R939
>5) The appointment of a new Sage o' Doe Gas
>6) The first hour of any legal singing of the Fat Lady

Witch burnings should be item #1 on the list and the other six should be
numbered 2-7

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Amazing things happen when great minds work together.

That's why IdiotBoy is working closely with the underworld party to insure
that your investments will provide you with maximum cash flow and minimum
risk.  Only IdiotBoy actively promotes Waynenomics as part of his
investment package!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 17:37:54 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1237 Passes 

How funny!

The four people who voted NO on this proposal were my oppenant in the last
election and three new players who weren't around to witness the silliness.

>4 NO votes:  3 points each
>  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 3 -> 6
>  Bash                   Underworld             6 -> 9
>  fnord                                         3 -> 6
>  breadbox                                      3 -> 6

Let no one say I don't keep my word come election time:)

snowgod
president

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Amazing things happen when great minds work together.

That's why IdiotBoy is working closely with the underworld party to insure
that your investments will provide you with maximum cash flow and minimum
risk.  Only IdiotBoy actively promotes Waynenomics as part of his
investment package!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:39:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 298 (breadbox)

I sent this out earlier, but I, and the server, seemed to be having
e-mail problems.  Please use this date for due date, etc.  I never
saw it come back.

breadbox has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 298
  Subject: Holy Rule-Breakers
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 22, 1996, 21:41h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

A member of a Church may, indeed must, ignore any provision of that
Church's policy which would require him or her to break the Rules.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

R 775, Mutable, section 3, c:

> c. All Church members must abide by Church Policy as long as they
> are members of the Church.

R 101, Immutable:

> All players must always abide by all the rules then in effect, in the
> form in which they are then in effect, and interpreted in accordance
> with currently existing game custom. [...]

R 101 requires players always follow the rules.  It certainly has
precedence, if it doesn't outright neuter R 775 entirely via R 108.

If there is a R 108 style neutering of R 775, and I'm to tired to explore
that side of it now, then clearly Churches and Church Policy would fall
under the auspices of R 115, thus it is obvious that such policies,
regardless of what they required a player to do, would hold no sway
whatsoever over the player's actions, thus, by R 101, that player would
be mandated to ignore any which required rule-breaking behaviour.

Even if R 775 is not wholly void and without effect, it seems to me that
R 775, 3c is too weak to require a player to break R 101, even if the
Church Policy mandates such.  Therefore the player can ignore such
illegal-behaviour-forcing provisions, and a verdict of TRUE is indicated.

A verdict of TRUE here should also indicate a verdict of FALSE on CFJ
288.  I will attempt to demonstrate how later.  I wish I had the time to
do this when CFJ 288 was filed, alas, I did not, but I cannot let it
pass now.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:40:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Invoking R 563

I am invoking R 563 in the matter of CFJ 288.  The reasoning shall be
public, and read as below:

Malenkai
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe CFJ 288 should have been judged FALSE.  I would appeal it,
but IdiotBoy has done so already.  His reasoning is completely different
than mine, so I at least wished to add the reasoning I would have used,
and wish that the Supreme Court consider it.

First of all, I want to talk about Invalid for a little bit.  I do not
believe this, and other CFJs, should be ruled Invalid unless the statement
is malformed, self-contradictory, or multiple statements, etc.

Hypothetical statements do not fall into this category.  If the statement
is worded so that TRUE or FALSE is possible, one of those verdicts should
be rendered, unless it is a statement of the type above.  There is a
plethora of hypothetical statements in the CFJ archive that have been
judged TRUE or FALSE without a problem.  The fact that someone could win
the game as a result of a particular CFJ verdict does not justify the
cop-out of judging it Invalid.  It is the statement that is under
judgement, not the reasoning or the consequences of the verdict.

Thus I would like to reverse this growing trend of game custom, and am
going for a verdict of FALSE, not Invalid, on CFJ 288, the proper verdict,
IMO.

A verdict of FALSE can be arrived at from 2 different lines of reasoning,
each of which is independent of the other:

The first is based on CFJ 298.  If CFJ 298 is judged TRUE, CFJ 288 should
be judged FALSE.

If CFJ 298 is judged TRUE because R 775 is neutered via R 108, then churches
and church policy come under R 115.  Reasoning similar to that of CFJ 283
will alleviate the alledged paradox in CFJ 288.

If CFJ 298 is judged TRUE, but R 775 stands, the following will alleviate
the paradox:

Hypothetical Church Policy States:
The member must wear a prosthetic forehead.
The member must not wear a prosthetic forehead.

It is not possible to follow both dictums.  One or the other will be
followed.  In following one, the other will be not followed.  This
not following is a violation of R 775, 3c, hence is a violation of the
rules.  If CFJ 298 is TRUE, however, the provision which forces this
violation of the rules may, indeed must, be ignored.  Thus the paradox
is alleviated.  The provision opposite of what the member choose to follow
may be ignored, per a TRUE on CFJ 298.

The second argument will alleviate the paradox even if CFJ 298 is not
judged TRUE, although I do not see *how* it cannot be judged TRUE.

Church policy mandates doing something illegal/impossible.  In order
to comply with R 101, and not break R 775, 3c, the member will be forced
to leave the church, per R 775, 3c, second part.  Thus whether or not the
ex-member may wear a forehead can be determined with finality; in fact,
R 818 specifies the conditions of doing so.  I note that in this senerio,
all members will be forced to leave the church as soon as its policy is
asking them to break the rules/do something impossible, thus the church
will dissolve, leaving it with no paradoxical policy, or even existance,
whatsoever.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 22:05:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1271

Proposal 1271 - Sun Sep 22 22:05:48 EDT 1996
Poet Laureate
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

The Office of Poet Laureate exists.  It is not necessary that this office 
be filled -- if there are no volunteers to fill it, no measures 
need be taken to fill it.  The Duties are:

	1) To compose poetry as described below.
	2) To maintain a web page preserving the literary heritage of Acka.

Once a month, the President may require the Poet Laureate to compose a 
poem to commemorate an important milestone in Ackan history (winning a 
cycle of internomic, a great e-mail blizzard, the resolution of a major 
crisis, the enshrinement of an Elder, etc.) or to liven a festive occasion 
(any of the Public Gatherings listed in Rule 1237 are appropriate).  These 
lists are by no means all-conclusive, and the President may require the 
Poet Laureate to compose for just about any event, although if players 
feel he is using this power frivolously, they are permitted to sneer.  
The Poet Laureate has seven days from the date of the President's request 
to publically post such a poem, unless the President's original public 
request allows him a longer period of time.  The Poet Laureate receives no 
special compensation for such compositions.

Other players may commission the Poet Laureate to write poems on their 
behalf (to commemorate great accomplishments of theirs, to mock their 
adversaries, or just to make sure their otherwise imminently forgettable 
career will be recorded somewhere).  It is solely the privelege of the Poet 
Laureate to earn fees for such works, though he may refuse to accept a 
commission entirely.  The amount of the commission fee can be anything 
agreed on by both the commissioning player and the Poet Laureate, so long 
as this does not conflict with rules regarding transfers of currency or 
entities.  For such a commission to have effect, a public post must be 
made giving the commissioning player, the fee (if any), and the date by 
which the work must be completed.

The Poet Laureate must also maintain a web page recording the literary 
treasures of Acka.  Such items include poems of the Poet Laureate, Party 
Hall Party poems, sad little Gaol songs and Dueling Limericks (should 
such styles exist), and any other works of verse or song described in the 
rules.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 22:05:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1272

Proposal 1272 - Sun Sep 22 22:05:50 EDT 1996
Acka Day
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[so far two time zone proposals have failed.  Unfortunately, lack of
some sort of acka day or time zone as cluttered the language of a few
proposals and RFCs I've seen lately, and make things like the magic
potato ambigious, etc.  So I figured I'd give it a try.

I'm interested in knowing if there are objections to the concept,
as opposed to the implementation, of any time zone proposal.  Also,
since this would affect everyone, it went to the main forum]}}
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule which reads:

A day in Acka starts when the day starts in New York City, USA, and
ends when the day ends there.  This is called the Acka Day.  [That is
to say, the official time zone is EDT(-0400)/EST(-0500)].

Whenever a day of the week, day of the month, or time of day is
specified, in the rules or other official document, and it is not
qualified with a time zone, it shall be said to occur, if it is
a time of day, when that time of day occurs in the Acka Day, and
if a day or date, it shall begin and end when the corresponding Acka
Day begins and ends.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 565 to remove all occurrances of the string "EDT"

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 609 to remove all occurrances of the string " Eastern time"

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1023 to remove all occurrances of the
string "(based on New York Time)".

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1240 to replace the following:
 
"The time zone used for the purposes of this rule is that from which
the announcement was sent, unless Acka should ever have an official
time zone, in which case this rule defers to that of the official time
zone."

with:

""Days" and "dates" as used in this rule are said to begin and end when
the Acka Day begins and ends"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 22:12:19 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 295

CFJ 295 was judged TRUE.  I note that the statement is hypothetical.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 295
  Subject: The Existentialism of Prosethic Foreheads
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: Wayne (selected Sep 20, 1996, 20:36h EDT)
Judgement: TRUE

Statement:

Should P1262 pass, all wearers of Prosthetic Foreheads will
receive 100 A$.

Guy Fawkes's Reasoning:

P1262 gives 100 A$ to all players wearing a Prosthetic
Forehead that they did not create.  Rule 818 clearly states that players
*purchase* Prosthetic Foreheads, and that an infinite number and variety
of them are already in existance, making it unnecessary to create more.

Furthermore, game custom, at least on the finanacial page, indicates that
the Treasury contains an infinite number and variety of Prosthetic
Foreheads, further reinforcing the idea that they are purchased rather
than created.

Wayne's Reasoning:

>From Rule 818:"This rule creates a type of entity known as a Prosthetic Forehead. There is
an endless supply and an endless variety of Prosthetic Foreheads.
Prosthetic Foreheads are protected and tradeable."

Players do not "create" a PF.  They describe the forehead that they are
purchasing from the Treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:43:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: harf

I am proclaiming P1260 to be harfy.

Also, my reading of Rule 1112.1 indicates that P1194 is no longer harfy, 
since it has been removed from "otherwise removed voting consideration,"

Because of this, I believe P1260 is currently the only harfy proposal.  
If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Guy Fawkes
Harfmeister

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 22:48:56 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: harf

robert gene shimmin wrote:
> 
> I am proclaiming P1260 to be harfy.
> 
> Also, my reading of Rule 1112.1 indicates that P1194 is no longer harfy,
> since it has been removed from "otherwise removed voting consideration,"

I believe you are mistaken.  Harfyness can only be given/taken away
by methods described in the rules.

Rule changes may not have retrocative effect.

I remember no rule removing the harfyness from P 1194.  P 1194 was not
removed from voting consideration while the clause you quote was in
effect; in fact, it was removed before so, and that is the reason I 
added the clause you quote.

I don not believe the act of adding the clause you quote un-harfs it.

I have submitted a CSR to un-harf P 1194.

Malenkai
btw, are you going to get back to me on the Praetor?

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #256
*******************************