Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #255
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Sunday, September 22 1996      Volume 01 : Number 255

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 20:51:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1270

Proposal 1270 - Sun Sep 22 20:51:45 EDT 1996
Handicapping and Glory
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Amend R666, section b) to read:

b) All Undead stop hauting all Chartreuse Goose Eggs, Right-Handed 
Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants.  Then, all Chartreuse Goose Eggs, 
Right-Handed Grapefruit, and Victory Eggplants are destroyed.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend R666, section c) to read:

c) The winner is declared winner of the cycle, and a Right-Handed 
Grapefruit and a Champion's Cloak, should such entities be defined by the 
rules, are created in that player's possession.  If this results in his 
having two Champion's Cloaks, one of them is instantly transformed into a 
Badge of Glory, should such an entity be defined by the rules.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend R666, section i) to read:

i) All players' points are reset to -15 N, where N is the number of cycles 
that player has won.  If this causes a player's score to be negative, 
that player is a Victory Eggplant is created in that player's possession.  
Victory Eggplants are Protected, and once created, may not be transferred.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add the following text to the the end of R339:

These score changes do not apply to the owner of a Victory Eggplant.  A 
Victory Eggplant is destroyed if its owner has a non-negative score.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule, entitled "Marks of the Champion," with the following 
as its text:

The types of entities called Champion's Cloaks and Badges of Glory are 
defined by the rules.  Both are Protected, and may not be created except 
as defined in the rules; once created, they cannot be transferred or 
destroyed.  A Champion's Cloak is a regal garment of the color(s) and design 
of its owner's choice, while Badges of Glory are elaborate medals of various 
designs.  (It is customary, though not required, for the owner of either 
of these entities to describe it within 3 days of earning it.)  A player may 
wear a Champion's Cloak and/or Badge of Glory that he owns, and he may 
request to be called, "Exalted One," or the honorific of his choice while he 
wears it/them.  It is not necessary to honor such requests.

When a player leaves the game, his Undead, should such a thing exist, 
shall haunt any Champion's Cloak or Badge of Glory that he owned.

{{All extant Champion's Cloaks and Badges of Glory are destroyed.  Then, 
all players who have previously won a cycle are awarded a Champion's 
Cloak.  Then, all players who have previously won multiple cycles are 
awarded N-1 Badges of Glory, where N is the number of cycles that he has 
won.  If a player would have just received one or more of the items 
described above had they not left the game, their Undead, if they have 
one, is given the appropriate items to haunt.}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 20:53:18 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1233 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1233
  Proposal 1233 - Fri Sep 13 17:17:33 EDT 1996
  Creation of a PartyChessPiece Qball
  Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

15 YES votes   3 NO votes   3 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points.  5 -> 15

15 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   3               
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Brinjal                                     =   0               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   0               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   3               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  15               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  Techno                 Underworld             3 -> 6            
  IdiotBoy               Underworld             0 -> 3            
  Wayne                  Underworld             3 -> 6            

3 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =   0
  breadbox                                     =   3
  Uncle Sam              Underworld            =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Wendy                                       
  Tim                                         
=========================
Guy Fawkes paid A$5 to bribe the Tammany.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:00:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1234 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1234
  Proposal 1234 - Fri Sep 13 17:17:57 EDT 1996
  We thought them up, they should be rules.
  Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 19 players cast votes

11 YES votes   14 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Techno loses 7 points.  6 -> -1

11 YES votes:  3 point each
  Bash                   Underworld             0 -> 3            
  Habeous Corpus                                0 -> 3            
  Techno                 Underworld            -1 -> 2            
  IdiotBoy               Underworld             3 -> 6            
  Extra Vote 1                                =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  skinny                                        0 -> 3            
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld             0 -> 3            
  Wayne                  Underworld             6 -> 9            
  Extra Vote 2                                =   0               

14 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   3               
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Brinjal                                     =   0               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   0               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   3               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  15               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   3               

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Wendy                                       
=======================================
Techno and Bash each should have A$105 deducted from thier balance.  Each
bought an extra vote and bribed the Tammany.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:02:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1235 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1235
  Proposal 1235 - Fri Sep 13 17:18:23 EDT 1996
  Stand and Destroy.
  Techno  (Jerome Herrman)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 19 players cast votes

6 YES votes   15 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Techno loses 7 points.  2 -> -5

6 YES votes:  3 point each
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld             3 -> 6            
  Techno                 Underworld            -5 -> -2           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld             6 -> 9            
  skinny                                        3 -> 6            
  Wayne                  Underworld             9 -> 12           

15 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   3               
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Brinjal                                     =   0               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   3               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   3               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  15               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   3               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =   3               

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Wendy                                       
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:03:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1236 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1236
  Proposal 1236 - Fri Sep 13 17:19:11 EDT 1996
  Scam deterrance 
  Robin Hood  (R Shaw)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

10 YES votes   8 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Robin Hood loses 7 points.  0 -> -7

10 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                    3 -> 6            
  Robin Hood                                   -7 -> -4           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Bascule                FUN                    0 -> 3            
  snowgod                (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  Habeous Corpus                                3 -> 6            
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  fnord                                         0 -> 3            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  Uncle Sam              Underworld             3 -> 6            

8 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                     =   0               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   6               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  15               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  -2               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   9               
  breadbox                                    =   3               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  12               

1 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Wendy                                       

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:05:21 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1237 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1237
  Proposal 1237 - Fri Sep 13 17:20:01 EDT 1996
  Fulfilling Campaign Promises
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

15 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

snowgod gains 10 points.  3 -> 13

15 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   6               
  Robin Hood                                  =  -4               
  Brinjal                                     =   0               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   3               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  13               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  -2               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  15               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   9               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   3               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =   6               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  12               

4 NO votes:  3 points each
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  Bash                   Underworld             6 -> 9            
  fnord                                         3 -> 6            
  breadbox                                      3 -> 6            

1 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Wendy                                       
  Tim                                         

====================
snowgod paid A$10 for drinks and food to bribe the Tammany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1237 - Fri Sep 13 17:20:01 EDT 1996
Fulfilling Campaign Promises
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

The Frobozz Magic Beverage Company, Ackanomic Division (an offshoot of the
wildly succesful metal company), shall provide  Ackanomic Beverages at no
charge to any player at a Public Gathering. The Beverage Menu shall include
a selection of Fine Ales, Wines, Spirits and of course non-alcoholic
beverages for those so inclined.  Mixed drinks shall also be available, but
will not be listed on the menu.

A player may order up to 3 drinks at any one public gathering.

Since the Frobozz Magic Beverage Company is a for profit operation, they
shall bill the President for "services rendered" after the completion of a
Public Gathering.  The president shall be required to pay A$2 for every
alcoholic beverage consumed, withe the exception of mixed drinks, which
shall be billed at the rate of A$3 apeice.  Non Alchoholic beverages shall
be billed at A$1 apiece.

The following events should be considered Public Gatherings:

Witch Burnings
1) Festivals
2) Parades
3) Ackanomic Holidays
4) The reading of a depressing and awfully-written 8-line poem written by
the gaoler in accordance with R939
5) The appointment of a new Sage o' Doe Gas
6) The first hour of any legal singing of the Fat Lady

Other events may be considered public gatherings if the rules explicitly
state that they are.  This rule defers precedence to any rule which defines
a public Gathering

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 03:06:52 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1269

On Sun, 22 Sep 1996, robert gene shimmin wrote:

> 
> 
> OK, but doesn't this make PartyChess sort of an exclusive Swinger Club 
> where Swingers and Swingers alone earn points for actions really not 
> related at all to the rest of the game?
> 
> Guy Fawkes
>
No. The Party-Hall and Party-Chess rules are the rules that have the above
effect. If Party-Hall is ammended to allow Swingers which are not
necessarily related to Parties, then they too can receive such points.
Anyway, PartyChess is in the ruleset and it is part of the game.
Why do you think it is not related to the game?
That argument can be easily extended to most of of Ackanomic.
Niccolo Flychuck
 
> 
> 
> 
> On Sun, 22 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > Proposal 1269 - Sun Sep 22 20:32:15 EDT 1996
> > Newton, Apples, and Parties
> > Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
> > 
> > A proposal to create a rule entitled "Newton, Apples, and Parties" which
> > contains the following text:
> > 
> > "
> > 1. Let NoS be the the number of Swingers, excluding Swinger on Vacation,
> > including Acting Swingers.
> > 2. Every two weeks, on Tuesday, Swingers, whose Weights are greater
> > than zero, are awarded points according to
> > the following scheme:
> > a. The Swinger or Swinger with the highest Absolute Weight receives 3
> > points.
> > b. The Swinger or Swingers with the second highest Absolute Weight
> > receives 2 points
> > c. The Swinger or Swingers with the third highest Absolute Weight receives
> > 1 point.
> > 
> > A Swinger who received points accroding to one of those sections, is not
> > eligible to receive points by subsequent sections.
> > 
> > {{The first Tuesday after this proposal has been accepted, will be the
> > first Tuesday on which Swingers receive points according to this rule.}}
> > 
> > 
> > {{[At first I thought of includign provisions for higher scores when there
> > are more Swingers, but for the time being, I'd prefer to start with
> > something simpler.]}}
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:06:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1238 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1238
  Proposal 1238 - Fri Sep 13 17:21:20 EDT 1996
  We don't need Gravity
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

12 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

snowgod gains 10 points.  13 -> 23

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   3               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   9               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  23               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  15               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   9               
  fnord                                       =   6               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   3               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =   6               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  12               

6 NO votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                   -4 -> -1           
  Brinjal                                       0 -> 3            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 6 -> 9            
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Techno                 Underworld            -2 -> 1            

1 PRESENT votes:
  breadbox                                     =   6

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Wendy                                       

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1238 - Fri Sep 13 17:21:20 EDT 1996
We don't need Gravity
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Ackanomic exists on the underside of the earth, which is, of course, flat.
Ackanomic, and everything it contains, is held onto the earth with Suction
Cups so that it doesn't fall off.

Communications with entities residing on the topside of the earth are made
possible through a series of incredibly complex devices that even the
inventor cannot begin to understand.  These devices too, are attached to
the earth with suction cups.

In the event that any item loses it's suction cups, which may only happen
in accordance with the rules, it shall fall off of the earth and dangle
from it's surface by the attached emergency tether.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:07:01 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1239 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1239
  Proposal 1239 - Fri Sep 13 17:21:52 EDT 1996
  Conditional Text
  Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

7 YES votes   12 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Habeous Corpus loses 7 points.  6 -> -1

7 YES votes:  3 point each
  Bascule                FUN                    3 -> 6            
  snowgod                (None Yet)            23 -> 26           
  Habeous Corpus                               -1 -> 2            
  IdiotBoy               Underworld             9 -> 12           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)             3 -> 6            
  Uncle Sam              Underworld             6 -> 9            
  Wayne                  Underworld            12 -> 15           

12 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   6               
  Robin Hood                                  =  -1               
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   3               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   9               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   9               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   1               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  15               
  fnord                                       =   6               
  breadbox                                    =   6               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Wendy                                       
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:07:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1240 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1240
  Proposal 1240 - Sat Sep 14 01:00:11 EDT 1996
  The Machine That Goes *ping* (revisited)
  Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

17 YES votes   1 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points.  15 -> 25

17 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   6               
  Robin Hood                                  =  -1               
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   3               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   9               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   6               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   9               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  26               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   2               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   1               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  25               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  12               
  fnord                                       =   6               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   6               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

1 NO votes:  3 points each
  Uncle Sam              Underworld             9 -> 12           

1 PRESENT votes:
  breadbox                                     =   6

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  Wendy                                       

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1240 - Sat Sep 14 01:00:11 EDT 1996
The Machine That Goes *ping* (revisited)
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule reading:

I. There exists the Ackanomic entity called The Machine That Goes 
*ping*, henceforth known as the Machine. {{All Machines other than the 
one created by this rule are hereby destroyed.  This rule creates 
exactly one Machine.}}  Should a Machine ever be created by means other 
than this rule, it instantly ceases to exist.  The Machine is protected.

The Machine is a product of advanced technology, covered in buttons, 
lights, and switches.  It may be from the same culture that produced 
Phoebe, and so it is of great importance that The Machine That Goes 
*ping* be studied by all of Acka.

II.  The Machine That Goes *ping* may exist in the Home of any 
active player, but nowhere else.  Its location may change only as 
specified in this rule.  {{When this rule passes, the Machine shall exist 
in Xanadu.}}

The player in whose home the Machine resides has the duty of assisting Acka 
in its study of the Machine and is given the title "Scholar of *ping*" 
(hereafter, Scholar) for as long as the Machine shares his abode.  For 
the purposes of this rule, "the current Scholar's term" refers to the 
period of time since the Machine last changed locations.  It specifically 
does not refer to any periods of time before the Machine's most recent 
change in location during which the current Scholar was also Scholar.

III.  Within seven days of a player receiving this title, the Machine 
shall manifest in the Scholar's dreams and utter one truth.  This truth 
shall take the form, "IF AND ONLY IF today {if clause}, THEN the Machine 
That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."  It must be a truth the Machine has 
never uttered before.

In the Machine's truth, {if clause} will be replaced by no more than 
twelve words.  Each of these words must be in the official dictionary or 
exist in the Rules.  {if clause} shall not contain anything that is not a 
word, except punctuation properly used by the rules of standard English.  
The truth must be such that the Machine shall not fail to go *ping* for 
any seven consecutive calendar days during the current Scholar's term.

Upon waking from this dream, the Scholar must announce the Machine's 
truth in a public message to all Acka, but disguise each letter of each 
word in the {if clause}, but not space characters, with *'s in order to 
preserve the sacred truth from the eyes of heretics.  E.g., the truth "IF 
AND ONLY IF today is Wednesday or Thursday, THEN the Machine That Goes 
*ping* shall go *ping*," must be announced, "IF AND ONLY IF today **
********* ** ********, THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."
Punctuation shall be placed in its proper place in an undisguised 
fashion.  If the Scholar does not announce the Machine's truth in this fashion 
within seven days of receiving his title, he is deemed to be a quack and 
the Machine randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.

IV. It is strictly against this rule for the Scholar to use any means 
whatsoever, other than those described in this rule, to communicate any 
information regarding the Truth to any player, so long as the Truth remains 
unknown to all players but him.

V.  Beginning on the calendar day after the Scholar announces the Machine's 
truth, the Machine shall go *ping* exactly once on any calendar day the 
statement described by "today {if clause}" is at any time true. The 
Machine shall not otherwise go *ping*.  It is the duty of the Scholar to 
inform the rest of Acka of this occurrence.  He must do so by posting a public 
message with the form, "Today is Someday, the xth day of Month, in the 
Year of Our Lord YYYY, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* n times."  In the 
actual message, Someday will replaced by the actual day of the week, xth will 
be replaced by the ordinal number of that day of the month, Month will be 
replaced by the name of the current month, YYYY will be replaced by the digits 
of the current year, and n will be the number of times which the Machine has 
gone *ping* during the current Scholar's term.

The scholar may and must make this announcement if and only if the Machine 
has gone *ping* that day, and he must post exactly one announcement per 
*ping* during the day in which that *ping* occurred.  The time zone used for 
the purposes of this rule is that from which the announcement was sent, 
unless Acka should ever have an official time zone, in which case this 
rule defers to that of the official time zone.

VI. If any player other than the Scholar believes he knows the Machine's 
truth, he shall announce what he believes its undisguised form to be in a 
public message.  If he is correct, the Scholar shall congratulate him, 
and the Machine shall produce one Gadget from a Blueprint randomly selected 
from the set of Blueprints which both existed at the beginning of the 
current Scholar's term and currently exist; this Gadget shall be awarded to 
the player who correctly guessed the Machine's truth.  The Machine shall then 
transport itself to that player's Home.

If he guesses incorrectly, the Scholar shall ridicule him in a public 
message, immune from the Politness Moon in doing so.  This takes 
precedence over Rule 400.  The ridiculed player must pay a fine of 5 A$ 
to the treasury for mocking the sacred truth, and he may not again guess 
the Machine's truth while the current Scholar's term lasts.  The Scholar 
must either congratulate or ridicule the player who guessed within three 
days of the guess being posted.  In the time after the guess is made, but 
before the Scholar either responds or loses his title for not responding, 
no one may post another guess at the Machine's truth.

VII.  If the Machine has gone *ping* at least six times since a Magic 
Letter was named, and at least six times during the current Scholar's term, 
any active player other than the Scholar may name any letter of the alphabet 
not already named as the Magic Letter during the current scholar's term to be 
the Magic Letter by so posting to the public forum.  Each time a Magic 
Letter may be name, the Scholar shall consider for that purpose only 
the first post he receives naming a Magic Letter.  The Scholar must 
respond within three days by naming the player whose post was 
considered, and by publically reposting the Machine's truth in 
its disguised form, except that any * representing the Magic Letter or any 
letter previously named the Magic Letter during the current Scholar's term 
shall be replaced with the actual letter or letters represented.  The 
player whose post was considered then forfeits 10 A$ to the Treasury.  

VIII.  If the Machine has gone *ping* thirty times during the current 
Scholar's term, the Scholar must, within three days of the 30th *ping*, 
publically post the Machine's truth in its undisguised form.

When the Scholar posts the undisguised truth, any active player may, 
within the next three days, submit a CFCJ that the Scholar violated the 
rules of his duties during the current Scholar's term.  If no player does 
so in that time, or if the returned verdict is FALSE, the Scholar 
receives 50 A$ for his services, and the Machine randomly teleports 
itself to another active player's Home.

IX.  If the Scholar is placed in Gaol or goes on vacation, the Machine 
randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.  

Should a CFCJ ever find that the current Scholar has violated any part of 
this rule during the current Scholar's term, the Machine immediately 
randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.

If the Scholar loses his title for any reason other than going on 
vacation, he must post the truth most recently revealed to him in its 
undisguised form within three days of the loss of his title, unless he 
has already done so.  If he loses his title by going on vacation, he must 
post the undisguised form of the truth most recently revealed to him 
within three days of returning from vacation.

Whenever the Machine changes locations, it shall cease to go *ping*, and 
it shall not resume this function until a new truth is announced.  During 
the time after the Machine changes locations but before a new truth is 
announced, no one may post a guess at the Machine's truth or name the 
Magic Letter.

Whenever the Machine randomly teleports itself, it is the duty of the 
Assistant Tabulator to report its new location.  If no such office 
exists, this duty falls to the Tabulator.  If neither office exists, this 
duty falls to the Speaker.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 21:08:53 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1241 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1241
  Proposal 1241 - Sat Sep 14 12:51:46 EDT 1996
  Modestely ammending what needs mending
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

14 YES votes   2 NO votes   3 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points.  9 -> 19

14 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -1               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   6               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   3               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  19               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   6               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   9               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  26               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   2               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  Guy Fawkes             (None Yet)           =  25               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  12               
  fnord                                       =   6               
  Uncle Sam              Underworld           =  12               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Techno                 Underworld             1 -> 4            
  Wayne                  Underworld            15 -> 18           

3 PRESENT votes:
  Brinjal                                      =   3
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =   6
  breadbox                                     =   6

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Wendy                                       
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1241 - Sat Sep 14 12:51:46 EDT 1996
Modestely ammending what needs mending
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

{{[ It has the same effects as P1177 and P1190 combined, and is Modest. So
all those players who concerned that I might get any points, can stop
worrying now.]}}

 This is a Modest proposal.

A proposal that has the following effect:

I. Append the following text to R990 section 3 A v. :
"For the purpose of this rule, a lower case Latin letter is considered
identical to its corresponding upper case Latin letter."

II. Append the following text to R990 section A:
"Playing PartyChess is part of a Swinger's duty."

III.Append the following text to R726
"When any Swinger except for the NAP Swinger goes on Vacation, it is the 
duty of the Swinger's Party to appoint another member of the Party as 
acting Swinger. When the NAP Swinger goes on Vacation it is the duty of 
the Speaker to appoint a non-aligned player to be acting Swinger.
If the Speaker is non-aligned, and no other player appointed the role 
of acting Swinger, then the Speaker is the acting Swinger.
If the Speaker is a Party member, and no player has been assigned the 
role of acting NAP Swinger, and there is at least one volunteer from 
among the non-aligned players for that position, then the Speaker must 
appoint one of the volunteers as acting NAP Swinger.
If a Swinger's Office remains vacant for more than 6 days then 
the Chess-Umpire declares the Office to be a Warm Office, until such time 
as it is no longer vacant.
If all the members of a Party are on Vacation then no acting Swinger is
appointed for that Party and eir Office remains Vacant. If all non-aligned
players are on Vacation then no acting NAP-Swinger is appointed and eir
Office remains vacant.

This rule takes precedence over R457."

IV.Append to R991 section 2 H the following text:
"with the following exceptions:
(i) With the exception that if a Swinger goes on Vacation during eir turn, 
then eir turn is extended by two additional days. There may be no more 
than two such extensions per turn, and no more than 4 such extensions for 
any given six consecutive rounds.
(ii) 
  (a)If a Swinger's office is Warm, then their turn is skipped entirely
and considered to be a Pass. If a a Swinger's Office is Warm for two whole 
Rounds, then he is considered to have Surrendered. 
 (b)If a Swinger Office's King is checked while it is Warm, then that
 Swinger's turn is not skipped. 
 The Chess-Umpire must notify all members of the Party whose
 King has been checked, of the check situations, including members who are
 on Vacation. 
 In the case of a Special D-turn, if four days after the
 Chess-Umpire's message the Swinger's Office is still Warm, then he is
 considered to have surrendred.
 In the case of a Special DD-turn, if the chekced Swinger's Office is
 still Warm the second time a conflict is declared, then he is considered
 to have surrendered, however, he is still counted for the purpose of
 determining the number of repetitions of the procedure described in R991 
 section D (iv)  (b)-(d).

It is permissible for a Party with a Warm Office to notify the
Chess-Umpire 
of a Surrender at any time by sending a public message to that effect. 
The Surrender becomes effectively immediately. This section of this rule 
takes precedence over all other sections of this rule."

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #255
*******************************