Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #249
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Thursday, September 19 1996     Volume 01 : Number 249

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 00:06:37 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: snowgod ads 

>I wish to continue my advertising relationship with snowgod in his .sig
>file.  I agree to pay A$30 to snowgod for 7 more days of advertising with
>him composing the ads.  If snowgod wishes to continue this mutally
>benificial arrangement, he need only acknowledge and confirm this message.
>
>IB
>still the best darn bond trader this game has ever seen

I would be happy to continue our agreement.  However, I would like to add
the following exceptions...

1) frzenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any official message
2) frozenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any non-public message
2) frozenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any campaign message

If you agree to these terms, please say so, and I will accept and
acknowledge the transaction.

frozenwaterdiety

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:43:27 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: name change

> Guy Fawkes spake thusly
> > 
> > Would fnord please change his name?
> > 
> > For some reason, he's making me anxious ;)
> > 
> 
> *evil grin*  I was wondering if anyone would
> catch the reference.
> 
> fnord

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the origin of the word fnord. I
have come across it in the game Illuminati (an excellent game) with
Bavarian Illuminati, the Society of Assassins etc etc, but is this
it's birthplace?

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:54:26 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: snowgod ads

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> 1) frzenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any official message
> 2) frozenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any non-public message
> 2) frozenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any campaign message
> 
These are kinda of a call on "relationship custom", rather than the
"relationship rules" from our previous transaction.  I acknowledge and
accept this.
  
> If you agree to these terms, please say so, and I will accept and
> acknowledge the transaction.
> 
> frozenwaterdiety
> 
> 
IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 08:59:48 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: Ransom

Ackazens;

I have kidnapped Phoebe the Steel Flee and am holding her for Ransom.  If
the following conditions are not met within 9 days,  I shall superglue
her red and blue,  rather pretty box closed and dispose of her somewhere
in the Wilds of Ackanomia.

First,  I call for the immediate repeal of Rules 115 and 219.  

Second,  Malenkai shall be stripped of all wins,  and titles associated
with those wins.

Third,  disband the Vulcan Party.  Ackanomia is no place for pure Logic.

Lastly,  I want A$200,000 and 100 Prosthetic Foreheads delivered to a
Location to be specified when all other demands are met.

Believe me,  I mean bussiness.

bodyofabadlyspelledcrime
(obvious alias)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:10:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: name change

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Bascule wrote:

> Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the origin of the word fnord. I
> have come across it in the game Illuminati (an excellent game) with
> Bavarian Illuminati, the Society of Assassins etc etc, but is this
> it's birthplace?
> 
> Bascule

I'm not exactly initiated in the whole thing myself.  To see its birthplace, 
check the text excerpt at 

http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~boogles/Illuminati/fnord.text

fnord himself could probably better enlighten you.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:22:19 -0600
From: Uncle Sam <[email-masked]>
Subject: Email Address Change 

My new email address is [email-masked].  No one probably needed to know
except the Tabulator, but just in case.

Uncle Sam

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 12:04:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1256

Proposal 1256 - Thu Sep 19 12:04:22 EDT 1996
Possessions of the Parties
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

Amend Rule 542 to include the following as its third paragraph:

Political Parties are permitted to possess Entities and manipulate them as
defined in the Rules.  This Rule takes precendance over all rules which
would prohibit Political Parties from possessing Entities.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 12:05:09 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1257

Proposal 1257 - Thu Sep 19 12:05:09 EDT 1996
Refund I
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

If a Political Party attains a Unity vote on a proposal and aforementioned
Proposal fails, A$100 shall be transferred from the Treasury to the
Political Party.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 12:05:29 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1258

Proposal 1258 - Thu Sep 19 12:05:28 EDT 1996
Refund II
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

If a Political Party attains a Unity vote on a Proposal and aforementioned
Proposal passes, A$50 shall be transferred from the Treasury to the
Political Party.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 12:06:18 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1259

Proposal 1259 - Thu Sep 19 12:06:18 EDT 1996
No Monopoly
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

{{If a player possesses more than 80 of eir own PFBonds, that player will
transfer 20 of eir own PFBonds to the Underworld Party}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 12:06:47 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1260

Proposal 1260 - Thu Sep 19 12:06:47 EDT 1996
Trains
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

There exists a type of ackanomic entities known as trains, which cannot be
owned or controlled except as described in the rules.  A train allows
players to travel from one location to another when tsaid locations are not
connected by roads.

Trains will not serve buildings which are located on roads.  Until such
time as this rule is ammended to state otherwise, there are two train lines
serving Ackanomic (The Great Northern and the Little Engine That Could).
The Great Northern serves all areas to the north of Yellow Roosevelt
Avenue.  The Little Engine That Could serves all areas to the south of
Yellow Roosevelt Avenue.  Neither line serves any building that resides on
Yellow Rooosevelt avenue.

If a player wishes to switch from one train line to another, or to take a
train from north of Yellow Roosevelt Avenue to a location south of Yellow
Roosevelt Avenue they must cross Yellow Roosevelt Avenue on foot and board
another train on the opposite side.

 Whenever two trains approach each other from opposite directions, each
must stop and neither may resume travel until the other has fully passed.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:17:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: For Sale !

Sam Peterson wrote:

> Uncle Sam bid A$ 10 for the forehead

I acknowledge and accept this transaction.  Would the Financier note
the transfer of the P.F. described for A$10?

Thanks
Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:02:32 -0600
From: Uncle Sam <[email-masked]>
Subject: Prosthetic Forehead 

Uncle Sam places the beautiful Prosthetic Forehead on his Forehead.

Uncle Sam

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retract P1249

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm, wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

In accord with R423/1, I hereby retract P1249, and acknowledge the 2 point
penalty for doing so.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:18:02 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1253

> Proposal 1253 - Wed Sep 18 11:21:13 EDT 1996
> Tornado
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

I don`t know if the reference to denizens of the Afterlife in this 
proposal signals it as some sort of a machiavellian scheme. Assuming
not, I wish you had RFCd it.
I know the chances of me actually responding to a RFC are barely
distinguishable from zero, but this idea had struck a chord with me.
A few suggestions anyway:
1. Automatic shelter for vacationers instead of Afterlifers (or as
well as, if you insist)
2. Only those who actively place themselves in the Bomb Shelter at
the appropriate time get protection (making for a potentially 
interesting tactical decision for each player)
3. Presidential Tornado Warnings could be discretionary rather than
fixed to the seasons, allowing them to be effectively scheduled for 
otherwise quiet times in Acka life.
4. One permanent Shelter, only open during Tornado Warnings or other
emergencies. Fines for anyone entering before or leaving after those
times.

Brinjal.
with just a modicum of time on his hands

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:30:21 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBonds Latest quotes. 

>>PFsnowgod (10 @ A$45)
>
>>http://slack.net/~idiot/acka/
>>IB
>>--
>>IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
>>[email-masked]
>
>I accept this transaction.  Will the Financier please note?
>
>frozenwaterdiety

So noted.

ThinMan
Financier

Flash!
For a limited time, ThinMan is offering closely-held PFThinMan for sale.
10 PFThinMan @ A$ 200 | 10 PFMalenka | 10 PF/dev

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:39:36 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: For Sale !

>Sam Peterson wrote:
>
>> Uncle Sam bid A$ 10 for the forehead
>
>I acknowledge and accept this transaction.  Would the Financier note
>the transfer of the P.F. described for A$10?
>
>Thanks
>Malenkai

So noted.

ThinMan
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 16:10:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBonds Latest quotes.

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, John Bollinger wrote:

> ThinMan
> Financier
> 
> Flash!
> For a limited time, ThinMan is offering closely-held PFThinMan for sale.
> 10 PFThinMan @ A$ 200 | 10 PFMalenka | 10 PF/dev
> 
I am willing to trade my 10 PFMalenkai for 10 PFThinMan

IB
- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 12:16:43 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: snowgod ads (financier) 

>On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
>
>> 1) frzenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any official message
>> 2) frozenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any non-public message
>> 2) frozenwaterdiety does not have to post an ad on any campaign message
>>
>These are kinda of a call on "relationship custom", rather than the
>"relationship rules" from our previous transaction.  I acknowledge and
>accept this.
>
>> If you agree to these terms, please say so, and I will accept and
>> acknowledge the transaction.

I accept and acknowledge the transfer of A$30 from IdiotBoy to frozenwaterdiety

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:24:20 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBonds Latest quotes. 

IdiotBoy wrote:

>I am willing to trade my 10 PFMalenkai for 10 PFThinMan

Done, and so noted.

ThinMan
Financier
Speculator

PFThinMan still available: 10 PFThinMan @ A$ 200 | 10 PF Malenka | 10 PF/dev

TM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 15:27:30 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: snowgod ads (financier) 

frozenwaterdiety wrote:

>I accept and acknowledge the transfer of A$30 from IdiotBoy to frozenwaterdiety

So noted.

ThinMan
Financier

Don't wait!  PFThinMan only available for a limited time!
10 PFThinMan @ A$ 200 | 10 PFMalenka | 10 PF/dev

TM

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:47:55 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Ackanomic: Steel Flea Gazette 

Steel Flea Gazette
Volume 1 - Issue 3

Much Delayed and Often Duplicated
Ackanomic's Original Newspaper - Since 1996!

In this issue:

*  Future Looks Dim for Voting Gnome (!!!)
* Red-Hot Bulls Crash Frosty Market (@@@)
* New Players Flood Ackanomic (###)
* Review Of Hot Tips Newsletter ($$$)
* Presidential Elections Near (%%%)
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This issue of the Steel Flee Gazette is brought to you without support from
advertisers or ne'er do wells.  However, if you would like future editions
of SFG to contain advertisements for your ventures or proposals, contact me
for pricing and placement.  If you would like to submit an article to SFG,
send email to [email-masked].  Accepted submissions are paid with
either A$1 per word, or 2 PFsnowgod (editor's choice). SFG retains the
right to edit submissions for grammar, spelling, or content.
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

!!!
FUTURE LOOKS DIM FOR VOTING GNOME

Wilds Of Ackanomia (AckP) - Odds are high that the Voting Gnome, on of
Ackanomic's oldest, and most controversial, entities will cease to exist -
at least temporarily - within a week.

Malenkai has submitted a proposal, which is expected to pass, repealing the
Voting Gnome and replacing it with a new entity know as a Chartreuse Goose.
Many players feel that the Goose may make a decent replacement for the
Gnome, which has lived a long but danger filled life. The Gnome has been
the object of numerous assassination attempts since his inception, all of
which have been doomed to failure.

"The Gnome is a symbol of the Harfyness that separates Ackanomic from
lesser games," said frozenwaterdiety, a long time friend of the Gnome.

Wayne, one of Ackanomic's most respected players, feels differently though,
as evidenced by his numerous proposals to kill the gnome.  "...But I just
dislike the thought of rewarding the player with the lowest score.  To try
to have the lowest score just seems contrary to logical play."

Friends of the Gnome are taking consolation from a recent proposal by new
player Guy Fawkes.  Under Fawkes ambitious plan, the gnome would be
resurrected, though in a manic form, voting randomly on each proposal.
While it saddens many to see the Gnome reduced to such a pathetic state, it
is understandable when one considers all he been through.

@@@
RED-HOT BULLS CRASH FROSTY BOND MARKET
ThinMan - Financial Correspondent

The historically icy Bond Market experienced a rapid thaw with the advent
of IdiotBoy on the financial scene. After months of near-total inactivity,
IdiotBoy started a relative avalanche of bond Trading with his initial
purchase of 30 PFNiccolo on September 10, at a price of A$ 45. His name
notwithstanding, IdiotBoy made himself look prescient when he unloaded
those same bonds the following day for an A$ 30 profit.

An aggressive marketing campaign ensued, with IdiotBoy investing his
initial profit in an advertising contract with the publisher of this
newspaper. Techno became active in the market early, and Ackanomic saw bond
prices shoot up as a result of active, competitive bidding for highly-rated
stocks. Techno and Guy Fawkes now each hold more different player's PFbonds
than any other player does. And what of IdiotBoy? Despite his aggressive
Bond acquisition strategy, IdiotBoy has been successful in unloading most
of his portfolio at a profit. This reporter would have labelled him a true
shark if not for his unexpected trade of 20 PFTechno, purchased at A$ 6
each, for an used ("slightly worn") Prosthetic Forehead.

So who are the winners, and who the losers? It may surprise the reader to
hear that the only players who have come out ahead so far, currency-wise,
are those who exclusively sold bonds from their own portfolios. Of those,
Malenkai comes out well ahead of the pack with a total profit of A$ 330 on
just 20 PFMalenka. Although the past yields of PFMalenka have been strong,
Malenkai will have to earn 1650 points before those bonds pay dividends
equal to their selling price. Indeed, Malenkai seems to have IdiotBoy's
favor -- not only did IdiotBoy pay an outrageous sum for Malenkai's IPO,
but he also helped inflate the price further for Techno's purchase of
PFMalenka and favored Malenkai with the afforementioned odd bond/forehead
trade. Just what is the relationship between IdiotBoy and Malenkai? This
reporter doesn't yet know, but SFG readers can be assured that I will be
watching the markets for clues.

###
NEW PLAYERS FLOOD ACKANOMIC
Habeous Corpus - A special to the SFG

This last month, Ackanomia has experienced a resurgance unparalleled in its
history. After threatening to be mired down in endless debates over the
validity of loopholes, and nitpicking the Rules to death, the introduction
of a slew of new players has sparked new interest in the game. Where once
the digests were full of posts and counterposts arguing the merits of a
single line in a Rule, no three or four arguments may be found at a time.

Players such as IdiotBoy and Guy Fawkes have reawakened interest in
PFBonds, Techno is giving the Underworld a real chance at Nomic Domination.
(Can we be seeing the start of a change in leadership in the Underworld?
Look out Wayne.) New Players are challenging things as never before; from
how entities are formed to questions of the worthwhileness of time honored
(hidebound?) Rules.

As the proud owner of the Whamiol, I am naturally glad to see any new
player enter the game; in fact, I encourage all who want to be a part of
the finest and funniest nomic to join immediately (after the paradox wins
have been decided). But I am especially proud that my newfound Points came
as a result of these newcomers, who have contributed so much already and
promise to continue making this the most FUN game on the net.

{{The Steel Flea Gazette would like to welcome Bash, Skinny, fnord,
breadbox, IdiotBoy, Guy Fawkes, Uncle Sam, and Tim to Ackanomic.  We would
also like to apologize to any new players we may have neglected to welcome.
- -ed}}

$$$
REVIEW OF HOT TIPS NEWS LETTER

Everyone knows that bond manipulation can be a daunting task.  The small
payoffs are often not worth the homework one must do in order to achieve
even a modest financial gain.  I recently received a copy of a new rag
published by IdiotBoy which attempts to solve this problem.

The Hot Tips Newsletter is designed with an eye towards function.  The
newsletter is divided into sections, each covering a different aspect of
the financial market.  The Overall Bond Market Review provides a concise
rundown of the previous weeks financial activities, but also contain a
thinly disguised advertisement for the newsletter itself, which seems a
little silly since the newsletter is available to subscribers only.

The Legislative Review section contains information about the speculated
results of various proposals on the financial market.  Last weeks issue
urged a vote YES on P1209, and a small dissertation on the issue of
"Waynenomics", or the coup proposals.  This legislative Review should prove
very useful to Bond Traders who wish to act on their own, but could use a
small amount of guidance.

Finally, each week the newsletter contains an essay  on a "Featured Bond"
(last week it was PFMalenkai), and a rundown of trading suggestions listed
by the score of each bond's "player".  I found these suggestions to be a
hodge-podge of good and bad.  Two suggestions that especially puzzled me
were:

PFPascal        BUY at A$3 [could be the sleeper of the group]
PFBascule     HOLD  [vacationers are always good hold options]

However, I understand that the Bond Market is a speculative game, and one
players ideas are as good as any others.  IdiotBoy's gut feeling have paid
off pretty well so far, and other players may feel more comfortable
trusting in these recommendations than I do.

For the most part, I would say that the Hot Tip Newsletter is a valuable
resource for any one who is actively involved in the bond market (though I
would like to see the subscription rate lowered by about half).  If you
prefer to make your own determinations on Bonds it still might pay to pick
up an occasional copy, though I wouldn't recommend a subscription - ask
IdiotBoy if this is possible.  And for those who have little interest in
the Bond Market, I would recommend staying clear of this publication
all-together.

%%%
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS NEAR

Library (AckP) - The time is nearing in Ackanomic when we head to
Malenkai's Castle and cast our votes in the election for the President of
Ackanomic.  Candidates are shaping up, getting a feel for the coming
campaign before publicly announcing their desires to run.  Voters are
watching everything intently, looking for character flaws that may
determine how they vote.

The current President, frozenwaterdiety, who is suffering from an absurd
typo, has publicly announced that he plans to run for re-election.  No
other candidates have publicly announced yet, but rumor has is that the
President is keeping his eyes on ThinMan and IdiotBoy.  The fact that both
of these potential candidates have two capital letters in their one name
cannot be overlooked now.

The possibility of other candidate cannot be discounted either.  With so
many new players in Ackanomic, all previous assumptions about the balance
of power have been toppled, and anything can happen.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- ------
IF YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR AD TO RUN IN THE NEXT ISSUE OF SFG
SEND EMAIL TO [email-masked] FOR PRICING INFO.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- ------

The SFG will run an editorial by any player, regardless of political or
religious affiliations.  If you are interested in your comments running in
SFG, please submit them to [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:48:01 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Habeous and ThinMan 

I am still waiting for word on payment choices from Habeous Corpus and
Thinman for their articles in the SFG

frozenwaterdiety

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Businesses are Money Pumps; throughput is the flow.  Most business theory
is heavy on abstraction, causing unneeded hassle to the casual trader, but
IdiotBoy Trading Empires keeps it simple with the Hot Tips Newsletter.  Ask
IdiotBoy for a quote on your bonds today!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:05:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1261

Proposal 1261 - Thu Sep 19 18:05:06 EDT 1996
Patent Infringement
mr cwm  (Eric Murray)

The following actions shall be taken:

- ---------

A new Rule shall be created with the title "Patent Infringement" and the
following text: 

If there is a type of Ackanomic Entity whose creation or existance is
specified by a Rule or Rules, and yet a Player possesses an Entity of that
type whose creation or existance was made possible solely by the Rule
"Permissibility of the Unprohibited," that Player shall be Guilty of
Patent Infringement, unless that Entity is any type of Frog.

When a Player becomes Guilty of Patent Infringement they shall:

1)  deliver the item described in the preceeding paragraph to the Gaoloer,
    to be placed in the Gaol's Evidence Room.
2)  obtain a Prosthetic Forehead in accordance with the Rules, and present
    it to the Inventor, as a symbolic apology to the intellectual
    community.
3)  be said to be Guilty of Patent Infringement until an Appeal For Pardon
    is GRANTed them by the President.

- --------

R711 (Appeal for Pardon) shall be amended in the following ways:

Clause 2 shall read:  The player has had a verdict of TRUE reached against
them within the past 3 days on a CFCJ, OR the player is in the Gaol, OR
the player is Guilty of Patent Infringement.

The final paragraph shall read:  If the AFP is GRANTed, the penalty from
the most recent CFCJ against the player is waived, and/or the player is
immediately released from the Gaol, if they are in the Gaol, or the player
will no longer be said to be Guilty of Patent Infringement.

- --------

R709 (Gaol) shall be amended by inserting the following paragraph
between the the
current first and second paragraphs:

The Gaol has an Evidence Room that is a Location unlimited in capacity. 
The Gaoler shall place items in the Evidence Room as directed by the
Rules.  Items in the Evidence Room belong to no Player.  Items in the
Evidence Room may not be manipulated in any way except as explicitly
permitted by the Rules.  This paragraph takes precedence over R665
(Treasury and Hard Money) insofar as it is necessary to prevent the
unowned items from being placed in the Treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:05:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1262

Proposal 1262 - Thu Sep 19 18:05:33 EDT 1996
Free Forehead Money
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

{{Any player who is wearing a Prosthetic Forehead which e did not create
shall recieve A$100 from the Treasury. [We need to free up some of that
money rotting in the Treasury.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:35:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1223 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1223
  Proposal 1223 - Thu Sep 12 11:48:50 EDT 1996
  Appealing Appeals
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

19 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  268 -> 278

19 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 278               
  Robin Hood                                  =  41               
  Brinjal                                     =  15               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  17               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  64               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  15               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  45               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   7               
  Habeous Corpus                              = 124               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  87               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  62               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  69               
  fnord                                       =   6               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  breadbox                                    =  -7               
  Uncle Sam                                   =  21               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  19               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -31               

1 NO votes:  3 points each
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               192 -> 195          

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1223 - Thu Sep 12 11:48:50 EDT 1996
Appealing Appeals
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 569 to replace the 4th paragraph with:

      If the Court agrees with the previous verdict, then the player who
lodged the appeal shall be fined 25 points for frivolously bothering the
Judges. However, if the Court finds the case differently than the previous
verdict, then the verdict shall be overturned to the new verdict, and the
judge (or each justice on the court) who delivered the previous verdict,
shall be fined an amount from 1 to 10 points, to be decided by the
Justices of the Court. 

{{[the current paragraph of the rule is pretty buggy on appeals of 
appeals; in fact, if the court finds for breadbox' position on CFJ 269
and overturns it back to FALSE, breadbox loses 25 points!  If they
uphold TRUE, they must penalise the original judge again.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 14:35:46 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Financier 

I am transferring the sum of A$338 to ThinMan.

frozenwaterdiety
who type word instead of line :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Businesses are Money Pumps; throughput is the flow.  Most business theory
is heavy on abstraction, causing unneeded hassle to the casual trader, but
IdiotBoy Trading Empires keeps it simple with the Hot Tips Newsletter.  Ask
IdiotBoy for a quote on your bonds today!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:38:39 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1224 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1224
  Proposal 1224 - Thu Sep 12 11:49:09 EDT 1996
  Harfmeister Bug
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

17 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  278 -> 288

17 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 288               
  Brinjal                                     =  15               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  17               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  15               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  45               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   7               
  Habeous Corpus                              = 124               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  87               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  69               
  fnord                                       =   6               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  breadbox                                    =  -7               
  Uncle Sam                                   =  21               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  19               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -31               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                64 -> 67           
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               195 -> 198          
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                   62 -> 65           

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
================
Malenkai bribed the Tammany for A$5

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1224 - Thu Sep 12 11:49:09 EDT 1996
Harfmeister Bug
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend R 1112.1, "Let there be Harf!" to replace all occurrances
of "accepted or rejected", with "accepted, rejected, or otherwise
removed from voting consideration"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:39:18 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1225 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1225
  Proposal 1225 - Thu Sep 12 11:49:49 EDT 1996
  Honor Among Theives
  Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

11 YES votes   8 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Guy Fawkes loses 7 points.  65 -> 58

11 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                   41 -> 44           
  Brinjal                                      15 -> 18           
  ThinMan                Vulcan                17 -> 20           
  Bascule                FUN                   15 -> 18           
  snowgod                (None Yet)             7 -> 10           
  Habeous Corpus                              124 -> 127          
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               198 -> 201          
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                   58 -> 61           
  fnord                                         6 -> 9            
  breadbox                                     -7 -> -4           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            19 -> 22           

8 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 288               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  67               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  45               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  87               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  69               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -31               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Uncle Sam                                    =  21

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:41:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1228 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1228
  Proposal 1228 - Thu Sep 12 11:50:58 EDT 1996
  Kate's Birthday
  ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

8 YES votes   11 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

ThinMan loses 7 points.  20 -> 13

8 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                  288 -> 291          
  Brinjal                                      18 -> 21           
  ThinMan                Vulcan                13 -> 16           
  Bascule                FUN                   18 -> 21           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            10 -> 13           
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                   61 -> 64           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            69 -> 72           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            22 -> 25           

11 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  44               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  67               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  45               
  Habeous Corpus                              = 127               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 201               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  87               
  fnord                                       =   9               
  breadbox                                    =  -4               
  Uncle Sam                                   =  21               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -31               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 96 18:42:47 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1229 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1229
  Proposal 1229 - Thu Sep 12 13:07:39 EDT 1996
  The Flamingo Hotel
  Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Quorum met : 21 eligible voters -- 19 players cast votes

8 YES votes   13 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Habeous Corpus loses 7 points.  127 -> 120

8 YES votes:  3 point each
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld            45 -> 48           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            13 -> 16           
  Habeous Corpus                              120 -> 123          
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                   64 -> 67           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            72 -> 75           
  Uncle Sam                                    21 -> 24           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -31 -> -28          

13 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 291               
  Robin Hood                                  =  44               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  16               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  67               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  21               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  38               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 201               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  87               
  fnord                                       =   9               
  breadbox                                    =  -4               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  25               

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  skinny                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 18:39:54 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1253

Simon Clarke wrote:
> 
> > Proposal 1253 - Wed Sep 18 11:21:13 EDT 1996
> > Tornado
> > Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> I don`t know if the reference to denizens of the Afterlife in this
> proposal signals it as some sort of a machiavellian scheme. Assuming
> not, I wish you had RFCd it.

Sorry, by my RFCs have a very low response rate.  I just hammered it out
and sent it, a couple of days after a tornado hit my neighborhood in real
life.  I generally only RFC things that affect the structure of the game
anyway.

> A few suggestions anyway:
> 1. Automatic shelter for vacationers instead of Afterlifers (or as
> well as, if you insist)

This would promote something I object to, which is using vacation as a 
tool, in this case to simply avoid the tornado, with no fun of playing
the game.  The Afterlife allows at least some possible interest in a
strategy of avoiding the Tornado, as does the Bomb Shelter.

> 2. Only those who actively place themselves in the Bomb Shelter at
> the appropriate time get protection (making for a potentially
> interesting tactical decision for each player)

I thought about this, but decided against it.  I liked the idea of the
president being in the position of trying to solicit the money to build
the Bomb Shelter, as I never anticipated him or her paying the full 
cost out of his own pocket (unless he/she really wanted to be re-elected).
If you think about it, the tactics of the game are transferred there,
and I personally found that part intriguing.
  
> 3. Presidential Tornado Warnings could be discretionary rather than
> fixed to the seasons, allowing them to be effectively scheduled for
> otherwise quiet times in Acka life.

I wanted them to be infrequent, and with fair warning.  That would give
everyone plenty of time to do any strategy, including the interaction
with the money/president/bomb shelter/afterlife.  I also provide for
the rule to defer to Tornadoes occurring randomly, or as defined by
other rules.  I do not object to an amendment to provide for a different
tornado warning system, as long as there is plenty of advanced notice.

I actually think these could be fun rules to play, so vote YES, and 
propose your suggestions as amendments.  I also seperated them into 2
seperate proposals not for points, but for "modularity", as the Bomb
Shelter could be used for other stuff, and the tornado will work without
the bomb shelter, but the most fun could be with them together.

Malenkai
don't kill fun rules because they are not perfect (YES + amend)

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #249
*******************************