Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #245
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Wednesday, September 18 1996     Volume 01 : Number 245

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 01:13:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 291 (Habeous Corpus)

Habeous Corpus has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 291
  Subject: Gnomic
Initiator: Wayne
    Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Sep 18, 1996, 01:16h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

There is no such entity as the Voting Gnome.

Wayne's Reasoning:

Rule 355 only proposes to create the Gnome.  It does not actually create
the Voting Gnome.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 1:28:42 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Retraction

I retract Proposal 423.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 01:26:36 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 292 (breadbox)

breadbox has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 292
  Subject: Gnomic Paradox
Initiator: Wayne
    Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 18, 1996, 01:29h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

It cannot be determined with finality whether the Gnome Buddy is the
player with the lowest score if the player has the same score as someone
else.

Reasoning:

Two sentences from Rule 355:

At any time, the Player with the lowest score will have control of
the Voting Gnome.

If there is more than one person who is tied for the
lowest score, then the next lowest score is used, and
continues until the lowest single score is found.

The first sentence declares that the player with the lowest score is
the Gnome Buddy.  But the second sentence chooses someone else.

This is the same reasoning as CFJ 269.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 23:11:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 269 Appeal Verdict

Well, I am sorry that the courts did not agree with me on this one.
I would appeal it yet again, but there is nothing more I can say that
I have not already.

The judges point out that a mechanism exists for a statement to
explicitly amend a previous one. I presume they mean such wording as
"This statement takes precedence over ..." I believe that if this
mechanism were used everywhere constructs on the same level as the one
in this CFJ appear, the rules would be significantly denser than they
are now.

I am going to head over to the Hall of Elders. (Is there an admission,
btw, or is it free to get in?)

b

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 12:16:15 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 285 Verdict

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, robert gene shimmin wrote:

> 
> 
> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > Uri Bruck wrote:
> > 
> > > I agree with Thiman's verdict, but not with his reasoning. If we elaborate
> > > on Guy Fawkes' reasoning, if H is the highest bid,then Guy's bid is H+1.
> > > H+1 is greater than H, which makes that the highest bid, so
> > > instantaneously ( sp?), H gets the value that prevsiouly was H+1, which
> > > makes Guy's bid (H+1)+1 and so on ad infinitum, there fore I conclude that
> > > Guy Fawkes bid oo (that's supposed to be infinity), which is clearly
> > > greater than the number of A$ he has, and that makes his bid invalid.
> 
> Although I'm more than prepared to let the whole matter drop, Niccolo, 
> for the record, H was the highest bid cast by a player other than Guy Fawkes.
>
Malenaki  pointed out a point I had missed, that you placed an upper limit
on my bid -  a point which I ignored in my reasoning, simply because I did
not look up you original statement.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:10:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 291 (Habeous Corpus)

If ever there was a time to use R215, this is it.

Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Habeous Corpus has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 291
>   Subject: Gnomic
> Initiator: Wayne
>     Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Sep 18, 1996, 01:16h EDT)
> Judgement:
> 
> Statement:
> 
> There is no such entity as the Voting Gnome.
> 
> Wayne's Reasoning:
> 
> Rule 355 only proposes to create the Gnome.  It does not actually create
> the Voting Gnome.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 13:05:10 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bascule??

> Did Bascule ever officially remove himself from vacation?  Registrar?

No, I did not; I was waiting for that verdict on the appeal of the 
appeal. If mr cwm and ThinMan are close to verdicts on the other SC 
business then I will stay on vacation for a couple of more days, 
otherwise I'll return this evening.

> If not, then ThinMan should be fined A$1 for CFJ 269.

Is this right? I thought I carried the can whatever.
 
> Malenkai
> randomly losing track of random things

Bascule
thinking of changing party from FUN to permanent vacation

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:15:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 292 (breadbox)

Please read Rule 210, paragraph one, last sentence.

Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> breadbox has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 292
>   Subject: Gnomic Paradox
> Initiator: Wayne
>     Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 18, 1996, 01:29h EDT)
> Judgement:
> 
> Statement:
> 
> It cannot be determined with finality whether the Gnome Buddy is the
> player with the lowest score if the player has the same score as someone
> else.
> 
> Reasoning:
> 
> Two sentences from Rule 355:
> 
> At any time, the Player with the lowest score will have control of
> the Voting Gnome.
> 
> If there is more than one person who is tied for the
> lowest score, then the next lowest score is used, and
> continues until the lowest single score is found.
> 
> The first sentence declares that the player with the lowest score is
> the Gnome Buddy.  But the second sentence chooses someone else.
> 
> This is the same reasoning as CFJ 269.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 13:16:59 BST
From: R Shaw <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Phoebe (Robin Hood) 

These are the words of Phoebe:

 The denizens of Ackanomia hold potentially unlimited power.
Even the past may be amended by your will. Thus were my creators
created. My past is not your past, for the pasts are now manyfold.
Therefore I beg you take car lest temporal chaos ensue.

Having so spoke the matchbox vanished midblink.

 Robin Hood 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 07:29:56 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Retraction

Even if the courts agree with Wayne's interpretation of the word 
"ignore," isn't this pretty close to a duplication of the so-called 
"potato paradox"?

Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> I retract Proposal 423.
> 
> Wayne
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:18:03 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 290 (mr cwm)

I accept appointment as Judge to CFJ 290.

- -mr cwm
 wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:23:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 292 (breadbox)

Ah-HA!  But NOW we have the P1160 amendment to R210 to take care of this
problem.  I urge breadbox to consider this difference between CFJ 269 and
CFJ 292.

- -mr cwm, who nearly applied the P1160 amendment to the decision of CFJ 269
 wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> breadbox has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Call For Judgement 292
>   Subject: Gnomic Paradox
> Initiator: Wayne
>     Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 18, 1996, 01:29h EDT)
> Judgement:
> 
> Statement:
> 
> It cannot be determined with finality whether the Gnome Buddy is the
> player with the lowest score if the player has the same score as someone
> else.
> 
> Reasoning:
> 
> Two sentences from Rule 355:
> 
> At any time, the Player with the lowest score will have control of
> the Voting Gnome.
> 
> If there is more than one person who is tied for the
> lowest score, then the next lowest score is used, and
> continues until the lowest single score is found.
> 
> The first sentence declares that the player with the lowest score is
> the Gnome Buddy.  But the second sentence chooses someone else.
> 
> This is the same reasoning as CFJ 269.
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:50:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: query

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Guy Fawkes wrote:

> 
> Since the Earth is most obviously flat, why all the recent worry over 
> time zones?
> 

Unless you suggest that the Sun is a line (I can see it coming, now) it
can not be at culmination everywhere on the Earth, even though it is flat,
simultaneously. 

- -mr cwm
 wearing a Silly Vacation Hat, which may diminish my credibility somewhat

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:17:17 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBond Trader's Page 

IdiotBoy, you wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:
>
>> I like the page.  You have plenty of space; why not record a history
>> of every trade.
>> 
>If ThinMan could forward me a copy of his log of transactions, I'll get
>right on it.  (The switching mail accts caused me to hastily delete my
>backlog of messages)

Here are the relevant log entries.  The earliest (very few) bond trades
predate the log by a few months, so they are not included.  The player
whose bonds were traded, however, left the game before there were even
any undead, so those bonds are in limbo anyway.

10 Sep 1996, Transaction
IdiotBoy -45, +30 PFNiccolo
Niccolo Flychuck +45, -30 PFNiccolo

10 Sep 1996, Transaction
Guy Fawkes -50, +30 PFHabeous
Habeous Corpus +50, -30 PFHabeous

10 Sep 1996, Transaction
IdiotBoy +25, +25 PFTechno, -50 PFIdiotBoy
Techno -25, -25 PFTechno, +50 PFIdiotBoy

11 Sep 1996, Transaction
IdiotBoy +75, -30 PFNiccolo
Guy Fawkes -75, +30 PFNiccolo

11 Sep 1996, Transaction
IdiotBoy +75, -20 PFIdiotBo
Niccolo Flychuck -75, +20 PFIdiotBo

11 Sep 1996, Transaction
Techno -150, +25 PFsnowgod
SnowGod +150, -25 PFsnowgod

13 Sep 1996, Transaction
Niccolo Flychuck -125, +25 PFTechno
IdiotBoy +125, -25 PFTechno

13 Sep 1996, Transaction
Techno -100, +20 PFNiccolo
Niccolo Flychuck +100, -20 PFNiccolo

16 Sep 1996, Transaction
Techno -190, +10 PFMalenka
Malenkai +190, -10 PFMalenka

16 Sep 1996, Transaction
IdiotBoy -120, +20 PFTechno
Techno +120, -20 PFTechno

16 Sep 1996, Transaction
IdiotBoy -20 PFTechno, +1 prosthetic forehead
Malenkai +20 PFTechno, -1 prosthetic forehead

17 Sep 1996, Transaction
Guy Fawkes -30, +30 PFUncle
Uncle Sam +30, -30 PFUncle

ThinMan
Financier

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:29:48 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 291 (Habeous Corpus) 

>Call For Judgement 291
>  Subject: Gnomic
>Initiator: Wayne
>    Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Sep 18, 1996, 01:16h EDT)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>There is no such entity as the Voting Gnome.
>
>Wayne's Reasoning:
>
>Rule 355 only proposes to create the Gnome.  It does not actually create
>the Voting Gnome.

I almost submitted this one myself, but never got around to it.  The rules
must guide play _as written_, and Wayne is absolutely right.  However, the
Judge must also consider that months of game custom have established the
interpretation that R 355 did, in fact, create the Gnome.  There is a
fairly thin line between the exact wording of the rules and their customary
interpretation.  If this CFJ had been submitted soon after R355 was enacted
then I think it should have been judged TRUE.  As it is, I think game
custom has firmly established an interpretation that requires CFJ 291 to
be judged FALSE.

ThinMan
Bronze Torch Holder
Acting Justice

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:36:33 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 269 Appeal Verdict 

breadbox wrote:
>Well, I am sorry that the courts did not agree with me on this one.
>I would appeal it yet again, but there is nothing more I can say that
>I have not already.
>
>The judges point out that a mechanism exists for a statement to
>explicitly amend a previous one. I presume they mean such wording as
>"This statement takes precedence over ..." I believe that if this
>mechanism were used everywhere constructs on the same level as the one
>in this CFJ appear, the rules would be significantly denser than they
>are now.

An example is given in the Court's reasoning.  In general, I believe the
Court would accept language including "notwithstanding," "except,"
"however," and other such qualifiers, for that purpose.  I personally
dislike language such as breadbox suggested, though that would serve
the purpose as well.

ThinMan
2nd string Justice
Bronze Torch holder

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:46:14 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Retraction 

Wayne wrote:
>I retract Proposal 423.

Nice try, Wayne.  R423 prohibits this retraction, and R210 (now) makes the
prohibition stick.

ThinMan
Very glad for P1160

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:47:38 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: For Sale ! 

Malenkai,

>I offer the following Prosthetic Forehead, from my collection, for sale
>to the highest bidder.  Minimum bid: A$1.  Maximum bid: A$1000.  Habeous
>Corpus may be interested, being the owner of a Vending Machine:
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>      It is solid gold; some appraisers have mentioned a value of A$500
>for the headpiece. It simply has an advertisement etched in the front of it: 
>
>            For Sale!! Cheap!! 
>            Prosthetic Foreheads for only A$4!
>            The Cheapest anywhere in the land!
>            There is an endless supply and an endless variety available for 
>Purchase! 
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bid A$ 2 for your unique discount forehead.

ThinMan
Forehead speculator

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:49:06 -0600
From: Sam Peterson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PFUncleSam? 

At 06:44 PM 9/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Sam Peterson wrote:
>> >I will buy 30 PFUncle for 30 A$.  If you agree to this transaction, state 
>> >your acceptance and ask the Financier to take note.
>> >
>> >Guy Fawkes.
>> >
>> 
>> I agree to the transaction above.  Please transfer 30 A$ from Guy's account
>> to mine and 30 PFUncle from my account to Guy.
>> 
>> Uncle Sam
>> 
>I'm a reasonable guy, I'll take 30 PFUncle @ A$30, as well.
>
>--
>IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
>[email-masked]
>

I agree to both of these transactions.  Thank you Finacier for all the
transactions you keep track of.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 10:51:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1249

Proposal 1249 - Wed Sep 18 10:51:04 EDT 1996
Patent Infringement
mr cwm  (Eric Murray)

The following actions shall be taken:

- ---------

A new Rule shall be created with the title "Patent Infringement" and the
following text: 

If there is a type of Ackanomic Entity whose creation or existance is
specified by a Rule or Rules, and yet a Player possesses an Entity of that
type whose creation or existance was made possible solely by the Rule
"Permissibility of the Unprohibited," that Player shall be Guilty of
Patent Infringement, unless that Entity is any type of Frog.

When a Player is Guilty of Patent Infringement they shall:

1)  deliver the item described in the preceeding paragraph to the Gaoloer,
    to be placed in the Gaol's Evidence Room.
2)  obtain a Prosthetic Forehead in accordance with the Rules, and present
    it to the Inventor, as a symbolic apology to the intellectual
    community.
3)  be said to be Guilty of Patent Infringement until an Appeal For Pardon
    is GRANTed them by the President.

- --------

R711 (Appeal for Pardon) shall be amended in the following ways:

Clause 2 shall read:  The player has had a verdict of TRUE reached against
them within the past 3 days on a CFCJ, OR the player is in the Gaol, OR
the player is Guilty of Patent Infringement.

The final paragraph shall read:  If the AFP is GRANTed, the penalty from
the most recent CFCJ against the player is waived, and/or the player is
immediately released from the Gaol, if they are in the Gaol, or the player
will no longer be said to be Guilty of Patent Infringement.

- --------

R709 (Gaol) shall be amended by inserting the following paragraph
between the the
current first and second paragraphs:

The Gaol has an Evidence Room that is a Location unlimited in capacity. 
The Gaoler shall place items in the Evidence Room as directed by the
Rules.  Items in the Evidence Room belong to no Player.  Items in the
Evidence Room may not be manipulated in any way except as explicitly
permitted by the Rules.  This paragraph takes precedence over R665
(Treasury and Hard Money) insofar as it is necessary to prevent the
unowned items from being placed in the Treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 10:51:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1250

Proposal 1250 - Wed Sep 18 10:51:45 EDT 1996
Enlightement is the Dead Gnome of Heresy
mr cwm  (Eric Murray)

{{This is a modest proposal.

R729 shall be amended to remove its final paragraph.}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:51:45 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 292 (breadbox) 

>Call For Judgement 292
>  Subject: Gnomic Paradox
>Initiator: Wayne
>    Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 18, 1996, 01:29h EDT)
>Judgement:
>
>Statement:
>
>It cannot be determined with finality whether the Gnome Buddy is the
>player with the lowest score if the player has the same score as someone
>else.
>
>Reasoning:
>
>Two sentences from Rule 355:
>
>At any time, the Player with the lowest score will have control of
>the Voting Gnome.
>
>If there is more than one person who is tied for the
>lowest score, then the next lowest score is used, and
>continues until the lowest single score is found.
>
>The first sentence declares that the player with the lowest score is
>the Gnome Buddy.  But the second sentence chooses someone else.
>
>This is the same reasoning as CFJ 269.

Guy Fawkes is exactly right when he points out that the current wording
of R210 clearly dictates a verdict of FALSE for this CFJ.  CFJ 269 was
judged based on the rules at the time it was submitted, which was _before_
P1160 passed.  This CFJ, however, must be judged based on the current form
of R 210.

ThinMan
Supreme Court 2nd-stringer
Bronze Torch holder

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 10:52:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1251

Proposal 1251 - Wed Sep 18 10:52:01 EDT 1996
Creative Cranium Copyright
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Amend R818 to include the following text between the existing first and 
second paragraphs:

Prosthetic Foreheads are unique.  No two Prosthetic Foreheads are 
identical, nor for that matter are any two Prosthetic Foreheads 
substantially similar.  Whenever a player describes a Prosthetic Forehead 
as a condition of buying it from the Treasury, any player who feels the 
recently purchased Prosthetic Forehead bears too great a resemblance to a 
previously existing Prosthetic Forehead may summon a Forehead Tribunal 
within three days of the offending Prosthetic Forehead's purchase.  A 
single Prosthetic Forehead may be subjected to only one Forehead 
Tribunal; only the first call for a Forehead Tribunal on any given 
Prosthetic Forehead shall be considered valid.

Once a Forehead Tribunal has been summoned, each player may send exactly 
one vote to the Assistant Tabulator during the next three days.  Votes 
may take the form of, "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy," or "No, 'is peak's 
unique."  If more than half of the votes cast are "Yes, 'is toppy's a 
copy," the offending Prosthetic Forehead is destroyed and the player who 
described it loses two points.  Otherwise, the player who called the 
Forehead Tribunal forfeits 5 A$ to the Treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 08:58:00 -0600
From: Sam Peterson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBond Trader's Page 

At 09:15 PM 9/17/96 -0400, you wrote:
>IdiotBoy wrote:
>> 
>> Such a page does now exist.
>
>> http://slack.net/~idiot/acka/
>
>I like the page.  You have plenty of space; why not record a history
>of every trade.
>
>Another cool touch might be a javascript ticker tape of recent trades,
>or bid/asked, just for color.
>
>In any case, I would petition the web-harfer to put a link to the page
>somewhere near the financial links.
>
>Malenkai
>Bond and Prosthetic Forehead trader
>

I like it sounds great

Uncle Sam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:07:51 -0600
From: Sam Peterson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PFUncleSam? 

>If no one has snatched them all up yet, I will by as many PFUncleSam as
>Uncle Sam has left for A$1 a piece.
>
>frozenwaterdiety
>

PFUncle is no longer available for A$1 per PFBond.  I am now accepting A$3
Per PFUncle

Uncle Sam

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:08:16 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1207 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1207
  Proposal 1207 - Tue Sep 10 16:56:10 EDT 1996
  Underworld Payoff
  Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

9 YES votes   9 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Wayne loses 7 points.  15 -> 8

9 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                  229 -> 232          
  Bash                   Underworld            18 -> 21           
  Habeous Corpus                               88 -> 91           
  Techno                 Underworld            60 -> 63           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            40 -> 43           
  Extra Vote 1                                =   0               
  skinny                                        0 -> 3            
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld             8 -> 11           

9 NO votes:  
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  58               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   4               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 185               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  Uncle Sam                                   =   0               
  breadbox                                    =  -7               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  12               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Robin Hood                                   =  29

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

======================
The extra vote was purchased by IdiotBoy for A$100.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:09:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1208 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1208
  Proposal 1208 - Wed Sep 11 02:12:42 EDT 1996
  Weightless
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

16 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  232 -> 242

16 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 242               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  58               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  21               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   4               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  35               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  91               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  63               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  43               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Uncle Sam                                   =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  12               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  11               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                   29 -> 32           
  Brinjal                                      16 -> 19           

1 PRESENT votes:
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                = 185

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       
  skinny                                      
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1208 - Wed Sep 11 02:12:42 EDT 1996
Weightless
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Repeal R 1116, "The Law of Party Gravity"
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
{{[I thought about neutering it to see how votes *would* accumulate,
but I am bothered by a rule which dispenses votes based on an untested,
complex, heretofore buggy game.

I would like to see party chess playtest *alot* before giving away
votes.  I went in to tinker with party gravity, saw a paradox, saw
how a split underworld party could abuse the system, etc.  Lets
just playtest this thing first]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:10:39 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acka: PFUncleSam?

I will purchase all remaining PFUncle you have at A$3 each.  Please confirm.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:11:24 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1208 Passes

The Tammany was bribed by Niccolo for A$10.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:11:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1209 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1209
  Proposal 1209 - Wed Sep 11 02:12:54 EDT 1996
  One less thing for the Financier to do
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

15 YES votes   1 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  242 -> 252

15 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 252               
  Robin Hood                                  =  32               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  58               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  21               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   4               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  91               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 185               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  63               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  43               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Uncle Sam                                   =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  11               

1 NO votes:  3 points each
  Brinjal                                      19 -> 22           

1 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  12

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       
  skinny                                      
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1209 - Wed Sep 11 02:12:54 EDT 1996
One less thing for the Financier to do
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 666 to remove section f).

{{[given the bull market in bonds, this unnecessary clause creates
extra work for the Financier]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:18:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1210 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1210
  Proposal 1210 - Wed Sep 11 02:13:11 EDT 1996
  Writer's Block this Month
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   6 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 7 points.  252 -> 245

11 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                  245 -> 248          
  Robin Hood                                   32 -> 35           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                58 -> 61           
  Bash                   Underworld            21 -> 24           
  snowgod                (None Yet)             4 -> 7            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            35 -> 38           
  Habeous Corpus                               91 -> 94           
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  Uncle Sam                                     0 -> 3            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            12 -> 15           
  Wayne                  Underworld            11 -> 14           

6 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                     =  22               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 185               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  63               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  43               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       
  skinny                                      
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:19:37 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1213 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1213
  Proposal 1213 - Wed Sep 11 12:05:18 EDT 1996
  #proposal
  Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

6 YES votes   11 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Wayne loses 7 points.  14 -> 7

6 YES votes:  3 point each
  Bash                   Underworld            24 -> 27           
  Techno                 Underworld            63 -> 66           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            43 -> 46           
  skinny                                        3 -> 6            
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld             7 -> 10           

11 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 248               
  Robin Hood                                  =  35               
  Brinjal                                     =  22               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  61               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  94               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 185               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  Uncle Sam                                   =   3               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  15               

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:20:59 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1252

Proposal 1252 - Wed Sep 18 11:20:59 EDT 1996
Bomb Shelter
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 973 to add the following at the end of the rule:

III.  Bomb Shelter

The President may build a Bomb Shelter for the community.  In addition
to any other requirements of this rule to do so, however, the President
must also pay A$500 in construction costs, or it will not be built.  Any
Bomb Shelter is destroyed 7 days after it is built by a rare species of
acidic mold.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:21:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1253

Proposal 1253 - Wed Sep 18 11:21:13 EDT 1996
Tornado
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule which reads:

"A Tornado shall sweep though Acka at the time of the Summer Solstice,
Winter Solstice, Vernal Equinox, and Autumnal Equinox.  All Tornadoes
are Protected.

Whenever a Tornado sweeps through Acka, the scores of all non-Sheltered
players shall be randomly reassigned among the non-Sheltered players.
In other words, the score of each non-Sheltered player is placed in
a pool, all non-Sheltered player's scores are set to 0, a random
score is chosen from the above pool, without replacement, and added to
the score of a randomly chosen (without replacement) non-Sheltered player,
until the pool is exausted.  ("without replacement" means the randomly
chosen entity may not be re-chosen for the duration of a single instance
of this process, once it has been randomly chosen).  If there are no
non-Sheltered players, the Tornado has no effect.  Sheltered players
are unaffected, in any case.

The Officer in charge of random things is responsible for carrying out
this procedure, when the Rules call for it to occur.

Players in the Ackanomic Afterlife and Gaol are Sheltered.  If a Bomb
Shelter exists, all players are Sheltered, regardless of their Location.

A Bomb Shelter may only be created by methods specified in the Rules.
Players may only become Sheltered by methods specified in the Rules.

The Rules may specify other ways or times that a Tornado sweeps through
Acka.

{{all players become non-Sheltered.  All Bomb Shelters are destroyed.}}"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:24:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: retracting P1222

Since P1208 passed, retracting R1116, my proposal 1222 is not needed so I am
retracting it.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 96 11:24:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1211 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1211
  Proposal 1211 - Wed Sep 11 10:57:52 EDT 1996
  Repeal 432
  IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

14 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

IdiotBoy gains 10 points.  46 -> 56

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 248               
  Robin Hood                                  =  35               
  Brinjal                                     =  22               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  61               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  27               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  94               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 185               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  66               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  56               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  10               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Uncle Sam                                     3 -> 6            
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            15 -> 18           

0 PRESENT votes:

6 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  fnord                                       
  skinny                                      
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1211 - Wed Sep 11 10:57:52 EDT 1996
Repeal 432
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

This proposal, if enacted, will repeal R432 ("Consecutive NO Votes").

{{[<-- Them brackets are COOL!  R432 is an archaic rule, which merely serves
to subjugate the will of the players]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #245
*******************************