Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #242
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Tuesday, September 17 1996      Volume 01 : Number 242

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:48:20 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 289 Verdict 

>Guy Fawkes wrote:
>
>>frozenwaterdiety may not be out of business after all.  Did he say the
>>t-shirts were *Ackanomic* entities.  I see nothing against the rules
>>against selling extranomic entities.
>
>That borders on sophistry.  If an entity has its sole existence in the
>context of Ackanomic, then it is an Ackanomic entity.  frozenwaterdiety
>may indeed have real world T-shirts made up according to his design, but
>he has not done so.  And even if he did, he could not sell them within
>the bounds of the current Ackanomic rules.  Please consult Rule 482,
>section II for details.
>
>
>ThinMan
>Financier
>getting just a tad annoyed

But could I not send a t-shirt snail-mail to Guy, and in exchange he
announces publically, that he is making a gift to me of A$10?  Though I
suppose for the purposes of the rules, I would not be selling the shirts,
indeed that is exactly what I would have done.

frozenwaterdiety

frozenwaterdiety

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
IdiotBoy can give you more "Bang For The Buck"when it comes to matters
financial becuase he does not just follow the trends, he creates them!  Ask
IdiotBoy for a quote on your bonds today, or subscribe to the Hot TIps
newsletter for the latest word on everything financial!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:48:23 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka RFC 

>RFC
>Created Cranium Copyright
>Guy Fawkes (Robert Shimmin)
>
>Amend R818 to include the following text between the existing first and
>second paragraphs:
>
>Prosthetic Foreheads are unique.  No two Prosthetic Foreheads are
>identical, nor for that matter are any two Prosthetic Foreheads
>substantially similar.  Whenever a player describes a Prosthetic Forehead
>as a condition of buying it from the Treasury, any player who feels the
>recently purchased Prosthetic Forehead bears too great a resemblance to a
>Prosthetic Forehead he already owns may summon a Forehead Tribunal within
>48 hours of the offending Prosthetic Forehead's purchase.
>
>Once a Forehead Tribunal has been summoned, each player may send exactly
>one vote to the Assistant Tabulator during the next three days.  Votes
>may take the form of, "Yes, 'is toppy's a copy," or "No, 'is peak's
>unique."  If more than half of the votes cast are "Yes, 'is toppy's a
>copy," the offending Prosthetic Forehead is destroyed and the player who
>described it loses two points.  Otherwise, the player who called the
>Forehead Tribunal forfeits 5 A$ to the Treasury.

Yes! That's wonderful.  It fabulous.  I feel that I may be in the presence
of greatness.

Man, have we got a lot of play out of that witchunt rule or what?

frozenyouknowtherest

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
IdiotBoy can give you more "Bang For The Buck"when it comes to matters
financial becuase he does not just follow the trends, he creates them!  Ask
IdiotBoy for a quote on your bonds today, or subscribe to the Hot TIps
newsletter for the latest word on everything financial!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:56:11 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction Results 

The Vending Machine has been sold to Habeous Corpus for A$145 (pending any
appeals of CFJ285).

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:56:14 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC AT 

>I dislike the name "Assistant Tabulator".  Can anyone think of a
>creative alternative, that still conveys the function, perhaps from
>another language, that's easy to type?
>
>I'd like to have a CSR issued to change it, but cannot think of
>anything.
>
>Malenkai

Head Bean Counter
Assistant Bean Counter
He who counts beans
Counter of the sacred beans

fronyouknowmynamebynowareyouevenreadingthis
bored :)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:01:05 +0200
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 282 Verdict

uunet!iumsc4.chem.indiana.edu!jobollin (John Bollinger) writes:
> 
> I hereby appeal CFJ 282 to the Supreme Court.  (Thanks, Wayne.)
> 
> I note to Bash that if he has a web browser available then /dev/joe's
> list of the Rules by categories is extremely useful.  In particular,
> under the "Proposals and Rule Changes" category you will find rule
> 491, "What is a Rule Change?"
> 
> You can find the link to the afforementioned list of the Rules by
> categories on the main web page.
> 
> You are right, though, it _is_ tough to be a judge.
> 
> 
> ThinMan
> Bronze Torch holder
> acting Justice
> had delusions of thermonuclear grandeur

Sorry ! I am so ashamed, I would like to go to the gaol to sit in a
corner for a while ... I tried to help a fellow undergrounder, and
look where did it lead me - just proves to show ! As god is my
witness, I will never be clever again !

Anyway, being new and all, I found it very hard to learn all the
rules. I tried to think about some things that might help newcomers:

o Have a glossary of terms and definitions that are defined in the
rules. Whenever a rule refers to one of those terms, connect it with
hyper links to the terms definition. Without this, you either (a) use
the "Rules by categories" on the main web page (which I didn't do), or
(b) "grep" the rules files (which I did, but probably missed rule
491).

o Separate the rules which discuss either facts about nature ("The
world is flat") or contests and games (Party chess) to another
folder. Those rules have very little influence on the basic Ackanomic
practices. This way a new comers can start with those basic rules, and
only afterwards, if e wishes, start to play the other things.

o (this one is revolutionary and theoretic)
I thought about creating rule levels. In this scheme, level 0 holds
the basic practices, level 1 adds some new rules on top of it,
etc. Each player can decide according to which level e wants to
play. If e wishes to play according to level 3 for example, all rules
of level 4 and higher does not apply to him. Of course, benefits
defined in those rules does not apply also, so e has incentive to move
up in the levels. This way, a new comer could come and join level 0,
and advance forward at s own pace.

(Actually, all I'm trying to do with those suggestions is to derive
your attention away from my embarrassing mistake ... =-D).

Humiliated Bash

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 10:28:00 PDT
From: Shlomi Bernthal <[email-masked]>
Subject: FW: FW: Welcome to Ackanomic (Re: I would like to join -)

To: [email-masked]
Subject: Greetings everyone

My name is Shlomi and I've just joined the game as skinny. I
found out about the game by seeing a connection from the "Nomic Page"
on the Internet. Looking forward for playing with you.

skinny

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:34:04 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 282 Verdict

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> Sorry ! I am so ashamed, I would like to go to the gaol to sit in a
> corner for a while ... I tried to help a fellow undergrounder, and
> look where did it lead me - just proves to show ! As god is my
> witness, I will never be clever again !
> 
> Anyway, being new and all, I found it very hard to learn all the
> rules. I tried to think about some things that might help newcomers:
> 
> o Have a glossary of terms and definitions that are defined in the
> rules. Whenever a rule refers to one of those terms, connect it with
> hyper links to the terms definition. Without this, you either (a) use
> the "Rules by categories" on the main web page (which I didn't do), or
> (b) "grep" the rules files (which I did, but probably missed rule
> 491).

When you joined the game I sent a welcome pack with definitions for
acronoyms - if you still have, take a look and let me know if there are
any additional terms you think would be useful to newcomers, and any other
information which would help new players get into the game.

 > 
> o Separate the rules which discuss either facts about nature ("The
> world is flat") or contests and games (Party chess) to another
> folder. Those rules have very little influence on the basic Ackanomic
> practices. This way a new comers can start with those basic rules, and
> only afterwards, if e wishes, start to play the other things.

The rules by categories fulfill this function, the new player welcome pack
specifically directs the the player to the rules by categories.

> 
> o (this one is revolutionary and theoretic)

And far too complex. All rules apply to all players. 
Some may have no actual effect on you right now, f'rinstance the
PartyChess rules do not affect you now, but were  you to become a Swinger,
they would.

I don't think that there is any way to make this workable.

Niccolo Flychuck

 > I thought about creating rule levels. In this scheme, level 0holds 
> the basic practices, level 1 adds some new rules on top of it,
> etc. Each player can decide according to which level e wants to
> play. If e wishes to play according to level 3 for example, all rules
> of level 4 and higher does not apply to him. Of course, benefits
> defined in those rules does not apply also, so e has incentive to move
> up in the levels. This way, a new comer could come and join level 0,
> and advance forward at s own pace.
> 
> (Actually, all I'm trying to do with those suggestions is to derive
> your attention away from my embarrassing mistake ... =-D).
> 
> Humiliated Bash
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:34:04 +0200 (EET)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 282 Verdict

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> Sorry ! I am so ashamed, I would like to go to the gaol to sit in a
> corner for a while ... I tried to help a fellow undergrounder, and
> look where did it lead me - just proves to show ! As god is my
> witness, I will never be clever again !
> 
> Anyway, being new and all, I found it very hard to learn all the
> rules. I tried to think about some things that might help newcomers:
> 
> o Have a glossary of terms and definitions that are defined in the
> rules. Whenever a rule refers to one of those terms, connect it with
> hyper links to the terms definition. Without this, you either (a) use
> the "Rules by categories" on the main web page (which I didn't do), or
> (b) "grep" the rules files (which I did, but probably missed rule
> 491).

When you joined the game I sent a welcome pack with definitions for
acronoyms - if you still have, take a look and let me know if there are
any additional terms you think would be useful to newcomers, and any other
information which would help new players get into the game.

 > 
> o Separate the rules which discuss either facts about nature ("The
> world is flat") or contests and games (Party chess) to another
> folder. Those rules have very little influence on the basic Ackanomic
> practices. This way a new comers can start with those basic rules, and
> only afterwards, if e wishes, start to play the other things.

The rules by categories fulfill this function, the new player welcome pack
specifically directs the the player to the rules by categories.

> 
> o (this one is revolutionary and theoretic)

And far too complex. All rules apply to all players. 
Some may have no actual effect on you right now, f'rinstance the
PartyChess rules do not affect you now, but were  you to become a Swinger,
they would.

I don't think that there is any way to make this workable.

Niccolo Flychuck

 > I thought about creating rule levels. In this scheme, level 0holds 
> the basic practices, level 1 adds some new rules on top of it,
> etc. Each player can decide according to which level e wants to
> play. If e wishes to play according to level 3 for example, all rules
> of level 4 and higher does not apply to him. Of course, benefits
> defined in those rules does not apply also, so e has incentive to move
> up in the levels. This way, a new comer could come and join level 0,
> and advance forward at s own pace.
> 
> (Actually, all I'm trying to do with those suggestions is to derive
> your attention away from my embarrassing mistake ... =-D).
> 
> Humiliated Bash
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 07:35:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 285 Verdict

> The basic question is whether "H+1 A$" is an "amount of A$" as required
> by R 1023/1.  I am inclined to say that "H+1 A$" _represents_ an amount
> of A$, but is not an amount of A$ itself.  Moreover, if an algebraic
> expression is permissible as a bid, then when is it evaluated?  When
> the bidder sends it?  When the Auctioneer receives it?  At the end of the
> auction?  Some other time?

ThinMan--

You've studied mathematics enough to know that ANY means of placing a 
number on paper only _represents_ the number itself.  5 A$, 12 A$, 145 
A$ ALL are only symbolic representaltions of amounts -- the amounts 
themselves cannot be written -- the classic difference between numbers and 
numerals.  12, XII, twelve, 6*2, 36/3, 2^2*3, the number of ancient 
tribes of Israel, (144)^.5, H+1 where H=11 -- all are different 
respresentations of the same concept, but NONE are acually an amount by 
their own virtue. 

By your reasoning, no valid bids were cast in the auction.

As for the question of evaluation, do not functions vary with the 
variables they contain?  For all real H, H+1 is also real.  Should H 
change, then H+1 also changes.  So, at any given time when H is real, an 
algebraic bid involving H has a real value.

Guy Fawkes
thank you, Dr. Dunn

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:39:24 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC AT

Count Tabula?

- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> I dislike the name "Assistant Tabulator".  Can anyone think of a
> creative alternative, that still conveys the function, perhaps from
> another language, that's easy to type?
> 
> I'd like to have a CSR issued to change it, but cannot think of 
> anything.
> 
> Malenkai
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 08:48:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: IdiotBoy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 285 Verdict

I am personally willing to accept Guy Fawkes reasoning if we evaluate his
bid at either the maximum value (305) or the minimum value (0).

- --
IdiotBoy, as always, dumber than a box of hammers.
[email-masked]
On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, robert gene shimmin wrote:

> 
> 
> > The basic question is whether "H+1 A$" is an "amount of A$" as required
> > by R 1023/1.  I am inclined to say that "H+1 A$" _represents_ an amount
> > of A$, but is not an amount of A$ itself.  Moreover, if an algebraic
> > expression is permissible as a bid, then when is it evaluated?  When
> > the bidder sends it?  When the Auctioneer receives it?  At the end of the
> > auction?  Some other time?
> 
> By your reasoning, no valid bids were cast in the auction.
> 
> As for the question of evaluation, do not functions vary with the 
> variables they contain?  For all real H, H+1 is also real.  Should H 
> change, then H+1 also changes.  So, at any given time when H is real, an 
> algebraic bid involving H has a real value.
> 
> Guy Fawkes
> thank you, Dr. Dunn
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:00:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 282 Verdict

Uri Bruck wrote:

[reference to rules]

> I don't think that there is any way to make this workable.

I am working on an idea called rule suites that will mitigate the
[alledged] problem somewhat.  I will post the RFC in a couple of 
days.  I bet ya can't wait :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 09:02:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC AT

IdiotBoy wrote:
> 
> Count Tabula?

I like this.  Sorry snowgod :(.  I will submit a CSR shortly, unless I
see a better idea come across.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 14:34:47 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 289 Verdict

ThinMan wrote:
>>> Of course, this judgement doesn't prevent the existance of other 
>>> entities which predate the game. Rules can not be retroactively
>>> changed but nothing prevents other game effects from preceeding their
>>> cause. CFJ's do change the state of the game retroactively. 
>>>  Once rules create timeless entities they have always existed
>>> although they hadn't before. The Rules are actually
>>> atemporal unlike us, I see no paradox here.
>>> 
>>>      Robin Hood
snip
> >Any ordinary citizen can see that ThinMan must have lost his marbles
> >to submit such a CFJ, since only a fool and a liar would claim that
> >Phoebe has not existed for so long as we can remember, and maybe
> >longer. Furthermore, ThinMan says that his CFJ "makes abundant
> >sense", and yet many things that seem to make plenty of sense make
> >no sense whatever in this game, such as CFJ 181, and CFJ 207.  
> 
> Bascule is correct that some things that seem to make sense in this
> game (and elsewhere) do not make sense at all.  However, I object to
> his claim that I "must have lost [my] marbles."  Indeed, I believe
> he called me a fool an a liar, and I will give him a chance to
> apologize before I call a politeness moon.
> 
> Furthermore, I disagree in part, with those of Robin Hood's comments that
> Bascule has endorsed.  I need only refer to Rule 106 (immutable)
> which says, in part, "No rule may generate any effect that applies
> retroactively to a time before the generation of the effect. A rule
> change may not have any effects retroactive to before the time of its
> application."  We cannot have any rules that create timeless entities
> unless we first change or repeal rule 106.
> 
> 
> ThinMan

Well, I do not agree with ThinMan that rule 106 prevents the creation
of timeless entities, so long as those entities have no effect
retroactive to their creation. At the moment, an entity exists that
exists before Ackanomic (rule 730), even though this entity does not
exist before rule 730 is created. It is a strange situation, to be 
sure, but unless 730 is in conflict with 106, which I do not believe 
it is, then the verdict for CFJ 289 would seem to conflict with rule 
730.

As for what I say about ThinMan losing his marbles, this I consider
to be a most humorous phrase, at that, and no offence is intended,
since this comment is made in fun. Moreover, ThinMan is free to say
that I lose my marbles at any time, and I will not be calling for a
politeness moon, or anything else for that matter. Furthermore, I
will be laughing heartily if ThinMan ever says I lose my marbles,
even though this is clearly not the case, as I have them here, in a
little bag. 

And as for the comment regarding fools and liars, there is never any
intention to insult ThinMan, who is a character well known to one and
all as being full of honesty, and astuteness, and was in any case
merely a turn of phrase, and was not intended as a slur on any
citizen, at that. 

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 9:45:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1201 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1201
  Proposal 1201 - Mon Sep 09 19:28:30 EDT 1996
  Power to the Pieces (again)
  Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

8 YES votes   4 NO votes   3 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Guy Fawkes gains 10 points.  46 -> 56

8 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 196               
  Brinjal                                     =  13               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  52               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  12               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   1               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  82               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 179               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  56               

4 NO votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                   20 -> 23           
  Techno                 Underworld            51 -> 54           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            28 -> 31           
  Wayne                  Underworld            12 -> 15           

3 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =  11
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =   9
  breadbox                                     =  -7

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  skinny                                      
  Uncle Sam                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1201 - Mon Sep 09 19:28:30 EDT 1996
Power to the Pieces (again)
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.

Amend the first sentence of Rule 990, section 3C to read:

"A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define means different from those defined 
in this rule by which the defined piece may capture or not capture 
opponent's pieces."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 9:46:12 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1202 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1202
  Proposal 1202 - Mon Sep 09 23:33:12 EDT 1996
  More Work for the Map-Harfer
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  196 -> 206

11 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 206               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Brinjal                                     =  13               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  52               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  12               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   1               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  82               
  breadbox                                    =  -7               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   9               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  Techno                 Underworld            54 -> 57           
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                   56 -> 59           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            31 -> 34           

1 PRESENT votes:
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                = 179

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  fnord                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  skinny                                      
  Uncle Sam                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1202 - Mon Sep 09 23:33:12 EDT 1996
More Work for the Map-Harfer
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend Rule 895, "Map-Harfer", to read:

      The Office of the Map-Harfer is a Functional Office. 

      The duties of the Map-Harfer are:	
	a) to create and maintain the Map of Ackanomia, as governed by
other rules. 
	b) to maintain and make publically available a list of the 
locations of all entities, including players, for which location is
known or specified.

{{[it makes more sense for the map-harfer to do this, rather than the
speaker]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 9:48:01 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1203 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1203
  Proposal 1203 - Mon Sep 09 23:33:42 EDT 1996
  Why Me?
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   4 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  206 -> 216

11 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 216               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Brinjal                                     =  13               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  52               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   1               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  82               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  breadbox                                    =  -7               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   9               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

4 NO votes:  3 points each
  Bash                   Underworld            12 -> 15           
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               179 -> 182          
  Techno                 Underworld            57 -> 60           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            34 -> 37           

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  skinny                                      
  Uncle Sam                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1203 - Mon Sep 09 23:33:42 EDT 1996
Why Me?
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 592, "Protection" to add the following text after the fourth
paragraph of the rule:

Manipulation of a protected entitiy is permissable if such manipulation
is not explicitly regulated by the rules, and such manipulation would
not have a material effect on the game.  In other words, the game
state must be the same after the manipulation as it would have been
had the manipulation not occurred.

For the purposes of the above paragraph, discussion of the manipulation
is not considered a material effect on the game.  Nor is the initiation,
or the effects, of a CFJ or CFCJ alledging or indicating the manipulation
was illegal, unless said CFJ or CFCJ is judged TRUE.  It is recognized
that deciding whether a particular manipulation materially affected the
game state is a matter that often can only be decided by judgement alone.

{{[I just want to drink some Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice, or bonk
Supreme Court Justices over the head with a Bronze Torch, and not go
to Gaol like snowgod did.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 9:48:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1204 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1204
  Proposal 1204 - Tue Sep 10 10:06:45 EDT 1996
  Phoebe Fixup
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

13 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  216 -> 226

13 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 226               
  Brinjal                                     =  13               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  11               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  52               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  15               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   1               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 182               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  60               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   9               
  breadbox                                    =  -7               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                   23 -> 26           
  Habeous Corpus                               82 -> 85           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            37 -> 40           

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  fnord                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  skinny                                      
  Uncle Sam                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1204 - Tue Sep 10 10:06:45 EDT 1996
Phoebe Fixup
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend R 730 as follows:

1) add the following at the end of the 4th paragraph:

"Such challenges must be made within 3 days of the wisdom being posted, 
and may only be made once per report."

2) replace all occurrance of the phrase "the tabulator" with "the 
assistant tabulator".

{{[the first section is implicit game custom, I suppose, but I need it
to be explicit for something I am considering.  I do not want to tie
a needed fix to a potentially risky proposal, hence the modesty]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 9:49:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1205 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1205
  Proposal 1205 - Tue Sep 10 10:06:57 EDT 1996
  ammend R1116
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

7 YES votes   5 NO votes   3 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 7 points.  52 -> 45

7 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                   26 -> 29           
  Brinjal                                      13 -> 16           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                45 -> 48           
  Bash                   Underworld            15 -> 18           
  snowgod                (None Yet)             1 -> 4            
  Habeous Corpus                               85 -> 88           
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               182 -> 185          

5 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 226               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  60               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  40               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

3 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =  11
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =   9
  breadbox                                     =  -7

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  fnord                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  skinny                                      
  Uncle Sam                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 9:49:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1206 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1206
  Proposal 1206 - Tue Sep 10 10:07:14 EDT 1996
  Creation of  Games & Contests
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

12 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points.  48 -> 58

12 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  29               
  Brinjal                                     =  16               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  58               
  Bash                   Underworld           =  18               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   4               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  88               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 185               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  60               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  59               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  40               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  226 -> 229          
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)             9 -> 12           

2 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =  11
  breadbox                                     =  -7

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           
  fnord                                       

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         
  skinny                                      
  Uncle Sam                                   

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1206 - Tue Sep 10 10:07:14 EDT 1996
Creation of  Games & Contests
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. There exists a class of entities known as Games & Contests (singular - 
Game or Contest)
2. Games & Contest are listed on the Games & Contest web page which is 
maitained by the GamesMaster
3. The GamesMaster is a Functional Officer.
4. A listing for a Game or Contest consists of the name of the Game or 
Contest, the name of its author or authors, and a link to a full 
description which may be maintained on a seperate page.
5. 
a.The Games & Contest web-page has a General Equipment Section, which 
specifies entities that may be used with any of the Games & Contest on 
the list. 
b. Entities from the General Equipment section have no influence 
on any Ackanomic entities other that than what is specified by this rule.

c. Equipment for a Game or Contest is implicitly created when the Game 
start, and destroyed when the game is over.
d. It is permissible for a Game or Contest to create legal Decks,
according to R1155. 
6. Each Game or Contest  has a legal ackanomic name.
7. The description for each Game or Contest may specify the following things:
a. Entities from the Genral Equipment section which are used in the 
specific Game or Contest
b. A list of entities specific to the Game or Contest, that can be used 
as part of the Game or Contest. Section 5, subsections b-d are applicable 
to the Game or Contest specific entities described in this section.
c. Upper and lower limits on the number of participants in the specific 
Game or Contest
d. Rules for the Game or Contest.
e. Conditions for winning the Game or Contest
f. any additional information necessary to play that specific Game or 
Contest.
8. Games & Contest have no direct influence on Ackanomic. They may not 
manipulate any Ackanomic entity, with the following exceptions:
a. Games & Contest may specify transfer of currency between participants, 
in the specific Game or Contest, as entry fees, rewards or penalties.
b. Games & Contests may specify a transfer of currency from the Treasury 
to the Game or Contest, with an upper of limit of A$50 per instance of a 
Game or a Contest.
c. Games may add or subtract points from the score of a participating 
player. The maximum number of points added or subtracted in any specific 
instance of a Game or a Context is 12.

9. Adding a listing to the Games & Contests web-page
There two ways to add a listing to the Games & Contests home page

 a.By sending a  description of Games & Contests, or Entities for the 
general equipment section are sent to the GamesMaster, who distirbutes 
the description publically. If at least 5 Active Players, or 10% of the 
Active Players, whicever is greater, endorse the description, then it is
added to the Games & Contest web-page, to the appropriate section.
10. Removing a listing of a Game or Context, or an entity from the 
General Equipment section from the Games & Contests web-page.
- - A Game, a Context or a an entity from the General Equipment section can 
be removed by a proposal whichi has been submitted and accepted according 
to the rules.
11. Participation in Games and Contests is voluntary. No player may be 
forced to take part in a Game or a Contest.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Sep 96 9:56:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1244

Proposal 1244 - Tue Sep 17 09:56:27 EDT 1996
Fixing the incentive to vote NO
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Rule 207 shall be ammended by adding the following sentence:

2 points shall be scored for each player who votes PRESENT on a proposal.

{{[Now people who want to vote to affect thier score can do so without
affecting the voting results]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #242
*******************************