Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #231
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Friday, September 13 1996      Volume 01 : Number 231

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 20:47:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1203

This message just received should clear up the problems with the mail
I sent out that was never delievered to the list.  Note it was received
on Friday, but sent out on Monday.

Wayne
======================================
>From [email-masked] Fri Sep 13 19:28:56 1996
Sender: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] ()
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1203
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 23:33:43 EDT
Status: R

Proposal 1203 - Mon Sep 09 23:33:42 EDT 1996
Why Me?
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 592, "Protection" to add the following text after the fourth
paragraph of the rule:

Manipulation of a protected entitiy is permissable if such manipulation
is not explicitly regulated by the rules, and such manipulation would
not have a material effect on the game.  In other words, the game
state must be the same after the manipulation as it would have been
had the manipulation not occurred.

For the purposes of the above paragraph, discussion of the manipulation
is not considered a material effect on the game.  Nor is the initiation,
or the effects, of a CFJ or CFCJ alledging or indicating the manipulation
was illegal, unless said CFJ or CFCJ is judged TRUE.  It is recognized
that deciding whether a particular manipulation materially affected the
game state is a matter that often can only be decided by judgement alone.

{{[I just want to drink some Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice, or bonk
Supreme Court Justices over the head with a Bronze Torch, and not go
to Gaol like snowgod did.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:23:26 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: not even an RFC yet

Just a concept
I'm thinking of RFCing a couple of more Institutions.

There was some discussion of creating an Institution where Officers would
represent segments of the population. I think Ackanomic is rather small
for complete segmentation so I thought up something like this.
We choose two different criteria for dividing up the population.
Let us call them a, b
Criterion a divids the population into two complementary groups A, A'
Criteirion b divides the population into two complementary groups B, B'
(if it sounds comlicated, it isn't, just bear with me)
The following cross section are not-empty (this would be a condition for
the criteria, not a result)

(A,B)
(A,B')
(A',B)
(A',B')

Now, the Institution, for the sake of discussion I'll take a name I
proposed before, Asefa, will have 5 seats, (the fifth I'll discuss later)

Four seats will each represent on of the following _unions_

(A,B)
(A,B')
(A',B)
(A',B')

So, each Asefa member(Shaz) will represent two sub-groups, and each
Ackanomic Players will be able to vote to two Asefa- members (Shazi)
The fifth Shaz will be elected by the entire population.

There'll need to be a higher population threshold for the Asefa to be in
session  - something like 24 players

- -------
The second Institution I'd like to RFC is an Organizational Institution
 I call it Synod

The Synod is in session when there are three or more Churches.
Each Church appoints a Priest to the Synod {{[(no secular representative -
this is different than Party-Hall]}}

The Synod can own currency, assets and entities. Churches can own
currency, assets and entities.
{{The Synod recieves A$400 from the Treasury}}

Whenever PFBonds dividends are given out, the Synod gives half its
profits, from the past two weeks to the Churhces. The share of each Church
is equal to  (no of members in that Church)/(total number of members in
all Churches).

All business decision in the Synod must be carried out according to a
policy decided on by the Synod. Each Church gets a vote proportional to
the number of members in that Church.

- ----
This is the gist of it. This will encourage the creation of more Churches,
will encourage Churches to enlarge their memberships, and give them a role
in the eckonomy. Just like the way Parties have a role in politics.  We
already have a Church with members from different Parties, and that's a
great thing, I'd like to see other Churches form, with no relation to
Party membership.  This will also create an additional economic force in
Ackanomic.

Niccolo Flychuck

still engaging in long term projects

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:34:55 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: an interesting tidbit 

I've been thinking about the consequenses of my name change - especially
related to internomic.  I think that I, frozenwaterdiety, am official
Ackanomic's Liason to internomic.  However, in the game of internomic, my
name is still snowgod.

The interesting thing is that in each game, my name is still leagal, and I
am still officially the liason.  Any thoughts on this?

frozenwaterdiety

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Smart Traders know that only IdiotBoy can provide them with the best rates,
the most security, and the most creative new incentives to future bond
trading.  When you want to exchange PFbonds, steer clear of the
scammeisters.  Go see IdiotBoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:51:29 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: not even an RFC yet

> From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
> Just a concept
> I'm thinking of RFCing a couple of more Institutions.
> 
> There was some discussion of creating an Institution where Officers would
> represent segments of the population. I think Ackanomic is rather small
> for complete segmentation so I thought up something like this.

[snip, detail]

> So, each Asefa member(Shaz) will represent two sub-groups, and each
> Ackanomic Players will be able to vote to two Asefa- members (Shazi)
> The fifth Shaz will be elected by the entire population.
> 
> There'll need to be a higher population threshold for the Asefa to be in
> session  - something like 24 players

My main question is wondering where these name have come from?  Apparently, they
hold some sort of significance to you (porposed once, used as an example).  
Sorry if this was explained before, I'm just naturally curious.

> 
> -------
> The second Institution I'd like to RFC is an Organizational Institution
>  I call it Synod
> 
> The Synod is in session when there are three or more Churches.
> Each Church appoints a Priest to the Synod {{[(no secular representative -
> this is different than Party-Hall]}}
> 
> The Synod can own currency, assets and entities. Churches can own
> currency, assets and entities.
> {{The Synod recieves A$400 from the Treasury}}

I really like this part.  Organizations are most useful when they have assets.
 
> Whenever PFBonds dividends are given out, the Synod gives half its
> profits, from the past two weeks to the Churhces. The share of each Church
> is equal to  (no of members in that Church)/(total number of members in
> all Churches).

Where is the Synod going to get any money or PFBonds, apart from the inital
A$400?  The member Churches aren't allowed to possess Entities (with which they
might pay tribute), and there will certainly be no Tax break to players for
their donations.  ;)  This isn't really a criticism, since this can be covered
in some other rule, or the final proposal, or even in the RFC.  I'm mostly
wondering how -Niccolo- sees money flowing in to the Synod.
 
> All business decision in the Synod must be carried out according to a
> policy decided on by the Synod. Each Church gets a vote proportional to
> the number of members in that Church.
> 
> ----
> This is the gist of it. This will encourage the creation of more Churches,
> will encourage Churches to enlarge their memberships, and give them a role
> in the eckonomy. Just like the way Parties have a role in politics.  We
> already have a Church with members from different Parties, and that's a
> great thing, I'd like to see other Churches form, with no relation to
> Party membership.  This will also create an additional economic force in
> Ackanomic.

Hey, Wayne, what're we gonna call the Underworld Church? ;)

> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
>0sti|l engaging in long term projects
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

IdiotBoy
sincerely interested

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:21:14 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: RFC Machine 

I am satisfied with the current version of this RFC.  I particularly like the
way you decided to handle a player being reselected as Scholar -- "the current
Scholar's term" definition makes things much more straightforward than some of
the language that I suggested.  You also thought of a few things that I
missed.

Good work.

ThinMan
Jazz Jackrabbit of Ackanomic

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:33:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1185 Passes

I'm not exactly sure who the gnome buddy is for the next couple
of proposals, but it doesn't affect the results in any way.
Wayne
=========================

Here are the voting results for : 1185
  Proposal 1185 - Thu Sep 05 19:10:08 EDT 1996
  Legacy Deck
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

15 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points.  -1 -> 9

15 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   6               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  39               
  Mellon                                      =  21               
  Brinjal                                     =   6               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   9               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   9               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  16               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =   7               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   9               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  -1               
  breadbox                                    =   3               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             6 -> 9            
  fnord                                         0 -> 3            
  Wayne                  Underworld             9 -> 12           

1 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =   0

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1185 - Thu Sep 05 19:10:08 EDT 1996
Legacy Deck
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A Legacy Deck of Cards has four suits:
 Spades (S), Hearts (H),Diamonds (D), and Clubs (C), 
and 13 ranks: Ace (A), King (K), Queen
(Q), Jack (J), 10, 9, 8,7, 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2. 
Spades and Clubs are black. Hearts and Diamonds are red. 

There are also two jokers in this Deck (?1, ?2). Jokers have no suit, rank
or color.

{{[This is in a description of the standard deck of cards - many people
are more comfortable with those. Personally, I like the Eleusis Deck, but
that's no reason for everyone to use it]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:34:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1186 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1186
  Proposal 1186 - Thu Sep 05 23:54:20 EDT 1996
  C'mon
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

16 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  39 -> 49

16 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   6               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  49               
  Mellon                                      =  21               
  Brinjal                                     =   6               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   9               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   9               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  16               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =   7               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  -1               
  fnord                                       =   3               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  12               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             9 -> 12           
  Techno                 Underworld             9 -> 12           
  breadbox                                      3 -> 6            

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1186 - Thu Sep 05 23:54:20 EDT 1996
C'mon
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 457, "Vacationing", to make the following changes:

1) Replace the second paragraph so that it reads:

      A player should specify the expected duration of their vacation. If
the duration is not specified when they go on vacation, it is assumed to
be 14 days. If the period specified is longer than 30 days, it is assumed,
and recorded, as 30 days. If the period specified is shorter than 2 days,
it is assumed, and recorded, as 2 days. It is a duty of the Registrar to
keep a record of the expected duration of vacationing players. 

2) Replace the fifth paragraph so that it reads:

      The only thing a player on vacation may legally do is take himself
off vacation, or perform any action permitted by an Immutable Rule.  A 
player shall take himself off vacation by declaring to the public forum
that he is back from his vacation. As soon as the player makes this public
declaration, he shall no longer be considered on vacation. The one
exception is that a player who has been on vacation less than 2 days may
not take themselves off vacation.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:35:39 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1187 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1187
  Proposal 1187 - Thu Sep 05 23:54:37 EDT 1996
  Couldn't Quite Find the Paradox CFJ
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

17 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  49 -> 59

17 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  59               
  Brinjal                                     =   6               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   9               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   9               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   3               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  12               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  16               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  12               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =   7               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  -1               
  fnord                                       =   3               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   6               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  12               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  Robin Hood                                    6 -> 9            
  Mellon                                       21 -> 24           
  Habeous Corpus                               12 -> 15           

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1187 - Thu Sep 05 23:54:37 EDT 1996
Couldn't Quite Find the Paradox CFJ
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[I believe Techno is still a swinger, even though the Underworld party
is defunct.  The clause I replace in 1) below makes this so, because it
has precedence due to the CFJ 256 fix.  This was why I was spooked by that
fix, even though it was necessary.]}}

Amend R 726, "Party Hall", to make the following changes:

1) Replace all occurrances of the following text:

      "A Swinger, whether a Party Swinger, or a NAP Swinger, holds e's seat 
until e resigns or voted out."

with:

      "A Swinger, whether a Party Swinger, or a NAP Swinger, holds e's seat 
until e resigns, or is impeached, except that an NAP Swinger loses e's
seat when e joins a Political Party, and a Party Swinger loses e's seat
when e leaves eir Party, or that Party is dissolved or defunct.

{{all non-NAP Swingers who are not members of political parties 
are removed from all offices of swinger which they hold.  All players who
hold more than one office of swinger are removed from all offices of
swinger which they hold.}}"

2) Add the following text at the end of the rule:

	"There is no NAP Swinger seat if there are no non-aligned players.
This clause takes precedence over all others in this rule, or any other
mutable rule pertaining to Party Hall or Swingers."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:36:14 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1188 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1188
  Proposal 1188 - Fri Sep 06 22:20:35 EDT 1996
  Cutting the Cheesy Duplicate Paradox Wins
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

14 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  16 -> 26

14 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   9               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  59               
  Mellon                                      =  24               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   9               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   9               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   3               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  12               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  26               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  12               
  fnord                                       =   3               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  12               

5 NO votes:  3 points each
  Brinjal                                       6 -> 9            
  Habeous Corpus                               15 -> 18           
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                    7 -> 10           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            -1 -> 2            
  breadbox                                      6 -> 9            

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1188 - Fri Sep 06 22:20:35 EDT 1996
Cutting the Cheesy Duplicate Paradox Wins
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend Rule 589, by adding this new paragraph to the end:

Any CFJ which would constitute a win by rule 219 if it were judged TRUE
(hereafter called a Paradox Win CFJ) whose statement is substantially
similar, in the judgement of the judge, to the statement of a Paradox
Win CFJ submitted by any player and not yet resolved, shall be judged
Invalid.  Any Paradox Win CFJ which is based on the same sort of Paradox,
in the judgement of the judge, as any Paradox Win CFJ ever judged TRUE,
shall be judged Invalid.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:40:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1189 Passes

My records indicate that Idiotboy is the gnome buddy.  I cannot 
be sure about this though.  If one of the players that voted no
on this proposal is actually the gnome buddy, this proposal then
fails.
===========================================

Here are the voting results for : 1189
  Proposal 1189 - Fri Sep 06 22:20:47 EDT 1996
  Amending the rules about scoring for amendments to the scoring rules
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

13 YES votes   6 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  26 -> 36

13 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   9               
  Brinjal                                     =   9               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   9               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  12               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  18               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  36               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  12               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  10               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   2               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  12               

6 NO votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   59 -> 62           
  Mellon                                       24 -> 27           
  Bascule                FUN                    9 -> 12           
  Bash                   Underworld             3 -> 6            
  fnord                                         3 -> 6            
  breadbox                                      9 -> 12           

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1189 - Fri Sep 06 22:20:47 EDT 1996
Amending the rules about scoring for amendments to the scoring rules
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Amend rule 793, by deleting the following sentence wherever it appears:
   "If a proposal adds, changes, or repeals rules
    that generate effects (including but not limited to score changes)
    based on the way players vote, then the additions, changes, or
    repeals in that proposal shall not apply to that proposal."

2. Amend Rule 1089.2, by deleting the following sentence wherever it appears:
   "This rule defers precedence to R 793 where there is a conflict."

{{[ Rule 1089.2 section 5 is a better version of the text I'm deleting
    from rule 793 -- it just turns off the scoring rules being amended
    for the proposal that amends them, if the proposal passes. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:40:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1190 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1190
  Proposal 1190 - Fri Sep 06 22:21:14 EDT 1996
  Fix Swingers
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

9 YES votes   7 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 7 points.  9 -> 2

9 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                    9 -> 12           
  Brinjal                                       9 -> 12           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 2 -> 5            
  Bascule                FUN                   12 -> 15           
  Bash                   Underworld             6 -> 9            
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                36 -> 39           
  IdiotBoy               Underworld             2 -> 5            
  fnord                                         6 -> 9            
  Wayne                  Underworld            12 -> 15           

7 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  62               
  Mellon                                      =  27               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  12               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  18               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  12               
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                  =  10               
  breadbox                                    =  12               

2 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =   6
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =   0

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:45:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1192 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1192
  Proposal 1192 - Fri Sep 06 22:43:44 EDT 1996
  Bringing the Rules into accordance with Game Custom
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

14 YES votes   4 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  62 -> 72

14 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  12               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  72               
  Brinjal                                     =  12               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   5               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  15               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   9               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  12               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  18               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  39               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   5               
  fnord                                       =   9               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =  12               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

4 NO votes:  3 points each
  Mellon                                       27 -> 30           
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 6 -> 9            
  Techno                 Underworld            12 -> 15           
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                   10 -> 13           

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1192 - Fri Sep 06 22:43:44 EDT 1996
Bringing the Rules into accordance with Game Custom
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend R 939, "Party Hall Party", to replace the section header  
"Otherwise:" with the following:

"If Party Hall is not in session, or at least 1 Swinger fails to comply
with the above:"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:48:03 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: RFC - Internomic Voting 

>>>A senator who is held In Contempt shall pay a fine of A$100 to the
>>>treasury, or be placed in the Gaol for three days.
>>
>>This proposal rule suffers from the same problem that the Senate
>>Confirmation rule does -- it provides no means for a Senator to stop being
>>held in Contempt.
>
>How about if a player stops being held in contempt as soon as he has been
>penalized, by either paying his fine, or serving three days in gaol?

That makes perfect sense to me, provided that you also fix the timing issue
that I mentioned before, and that you make it clear that the fine or gaol
time is a discretionary decision as others have suggested.

>> Finally, if you
>>are going to fix up these problems with being in contempt, then you
>>should also fix up the other instance of putting Senators in Contempt.
>
>I had assumed that by having a rule defining contempt it would fix up the
>problems with the other rules.  For instance, a senator who is helf in
>contempt for not casting a cnfirmation vote would suffer the same
>penalties.

The problem is that the Senate Confirmation rule says that a Senator who
does not cast his vote _is_ Held in Contempt.  What it needs to say is that
he _begins to be_ Held in Contempt, or something to that effect.  Then you
can handle the other details in your Contempt rule.

>>I'll vote for it if you fix the problems I noted.  I will be a little sad,
>>however, to see myself no longer in contempt.  Right now it makes me
>>unique in Ackanomic.
>
>Hey, I don't have to remove the previously contempted players, but then
>when this passes, it's A$100 or three days in gaol for you :)

Uniqueness only takes a fellow so far.  Leave the previous-Contempt fix-up
in.  :-)  Besides, I am still the only Player yet to have had a Right-Handed
Grapefruit and a Chartreuse Goose Egg at the same time.  As a certain all-star
point guard is reputed to have said, "I got skeeels."  :-)

ThinMan
Senator
Held in Contempt
Jazz Jackrabbit

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 22:48:08 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1193 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1193
  Proposal 1193 - Fri Sep 06 22:58:55 EDT 1996
  Fixing Malenkai's Loophole for Gadgets
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

13 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 7 points.  72 -> 65

13 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                   12 -> 15           
  Malenkai               FUN                   65 -> 68           
  Brinjal                                      12 -> 15           
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 9 -> 12           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 5 -> 8            
  Bascule                FUN                   15 -> 18           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            12 -> 15           
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                39 -> 42           
  Guy Fawkes             FUN                   13 -> 16           
  fnord                                         9 -> 12           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  breadbox                                     12 -> 15           

7 NO votes:  
  Mellon                                      =  30               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   9               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  18               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  15               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   5               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:02:23 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1235 (fwd) 

Guy Fawkes wrote:
>Because this is not self-deleting, will this have the effect of UW being 
>required by law to repeal rules again and again until the ruleset is null?
>
>On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> Proposal 1235 - Fri Sep 13 17:18:23 EDT 1996
>> Stand and Destroy.
>> Techno  (Jerome Herrman)
>> 
>> Upon passage of this rule, each member of the UnderWorld Party, will 
>> select 1 current rule each, for automatic repeal.
>> 
>> This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.

This would not end up having the UW members repealing rules ad-infinitum
because it specifies _when_ the UW members are to make their selections.

ThinMan
Jazz Jackrabbit of Ackanomic

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:08:58 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: SVH 

frozenwaterdeity wrote:

> And I must say to ThinMan, while we are actually
>agreeing on something, that I believe he is the best Mad Hatter the game
>has ever known.  Robert Sevin's hat was truly inspired.  As a matter a
>fact, when that hat was created, I was seriously considering a rule which
>would give ThinMan a BlueCross based on excellence in SVH design.

Aww, gee shucks.  You're making me blush.

ThinMan
former Mad Hatter
current Jazz Jackrabbit

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 22:17:17 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: pre-RFC on cleanup limitations

There seems to have been some disgruntlement lately about those who ram a 
buggy rule through then make a fortune of points by correcting said rule, 
even by Modest proposals.

What about a limit on the number of proposals the author of a rule (and 
perhaps his political associates, too) can score for by amending it.  
After that (perhaps two amendments for the author), additional proposals 
could be authored, but he could no longer collect the 10 or 5 point 
passage score by amending that proposal.

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1223

> Proposal 1223 - Thu Sep 12 11:48:50 EDT 1996
> Appealing Appeals
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

> {{[the current paragraph of the rule is pretty buggy on appeals of 
> appeals; in fact, if the court finds for breadbox' position on CFJ 269
> and overturns it back to FALSE, breadbox loses 25 points!  If they
> uphold TRUE, they must penalise the original judge again.]}}

Malenkai, I thank you. Though it is too bad that this will not have a
chance to take effect before the judges return with a decision. Ah
well - I care more about seeing the right thing done than my score
anyway.

breadbox
Proud owner of a Chartreuse Goose Egg
Ex-Gnome Buddy

(Y'know, the little guy never did get around to telling me the recipe
for those delicious snickerdoodles he would make.)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:27:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Latest Bond Quotes

> PFMalenkai (25 @ A$175) [risk rated AAA by IdiotBoy]
> PFGuy  (25 @ A$25) [risk rated B by IdiotBoy]
> PFBascule (25 @ A$75) [risk rated AA by IdiotBoy]
> PFNiccolo (10 @ A$45) [risk rated A by IdiotBoy]
> PFHabeous  (25 @ A$100)  [risk rated A by IdiotBoy]

I see that I no longer have market value. Ah, how fickle is Fate.

breadbox

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #231
*******************************