Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #230
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Friday, September 13 1996      Volume 01 : Number 230

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 17:21:21 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1238

Proposal 1238 - Fri Sep 13 17:21:20 EDT 1996
We don't need Gravity
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Ackanomic exists on the underside of the earth, which is, of course, flat.
Ackanomic, and everything it contains, is held onto the earth with Suction
Cups so that it doesn't fall off.

Communications with entities residing on the topside of the earth are made
possible through a series of incredibly complex devices that even the
inventor cannot begin to understand.  These devices too, are attached to
the earth with suction cups.

In the event that any item loses it's suction cups, which may only happen
in accordance with the rules, it shall fall off of the earth and dangle
from it's surface by the attached emergency tether.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 96 17:21:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1239

Proposal 1239 - Fri Sep 13 17:21:52 EDT 1996
Conditional Text
Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

This is a modest Proposal

Create a Rule titled: Conditional Text.

1)  Text contained wholly within parentheses, (),  shall be known as
"parenthetic statements".  Parenthetic statements may be nested ,  and
may have some effect on the gamestate.  Parenthetic statements are
non-deleting except by an amending proposal or other conditions specified
in Rules.

2)  Text contained wholly within single curved brackets, {},  shall be
known as conditional text.  Initially conditional text shall be treated
as a parenthetic statement.
  
3)  Rules containing conditional text must contain a statement of
conditions under which the conditional text is to be deleted.  Upon the
occurrence of the action specified in the conditions of the conditional
text,  all text within the brackets,  and the brackets themselves,  will
be deleted.  Statements of conditions may be contained in Notes, 
Self-Deleting Text,  parenthetic statements,  or plain text.

4)  Conditional text may contain parenthetic statements or other elements
of semantic content;  these elements are considered part of the
conditional text and will be deleted along with the rest of the text.

{{After the comments made by /dev/joe,  I felt that codifying a way to
contain conditional text would be wise.}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 16:37:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1235

Because this is not self-deleting, will this have the effect of UW being 
required by law to repeal rules again and again until the ruleset is null?

Guy Fawkes

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1235 - Fri Sep 13 17:18:23 EDT 1996
> Stand and Destroy.
> Techno  (Jerome Herrman)
> 
> Upon passage of this rule, each member of the UnderWorld Party, will 
> select 1 current rule each, for automatic repeal.
> 
> This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 00:55:52 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1233

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1233 - Fri Sep 13 17:17:33 EDT 1996
> Creation of a PartyChessPiece Qball
> Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)
> 

I love this one! 
Great PartyChessPiece, already counting my A$ towards purchasing one.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:08:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC Machine

I have, I believe, eliminated the major bug involving what happens when a 
person in named Scholar for a second time, as well as several lesser bugs 
that were or were not called to my attention.  Comment is welcome -- I 
plan to repropose quite soon otherwise.

Guy Fawkes

RFC
The Machine That Goes *ping* (revisited)
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule reading:

I. There exists the Ackanomic entity called The Machine That Goes 
*ping*, henceforth known as the Machine. {{All Machines other than the 
one created by this rule are hereby destroyed.  This rule creates 
exactly one Machine.}}  Should a Machine ever be created by means other 
than this rule, it instantly ceases to exist.  The Machine is protected.

The Machine is a product of advanced technology, covered in buttons, 
lights, and switches.  It may be from the same culture that produced 
Phoebe, and so it is of great importance that The Machine That Goes 
*ping* be studied by all of Acka.

II.  The Machine That Goes *ping* may exist in the Home of any 
active player, but nowhere else.  Its location may change only as 
specified in this rule.  {{When this rule passes, the Machine shall exist 
in Xanadu.}}

The player in whose home the Machine resides has the duty of assisting Acka 
in its study of the Machine and is given the title "Scholar of *ping*" 
(hereafter, Scholar) for as long as the Machine shares his abode.  For 
the purposes of this rule, "the current Scholar's term" refers to the 
period of time since the Machine last changed locations.  It specifically 
does not refer to any periods of time before the Machine's most recent 
change in location during which the current Scholar was also Scholar.

III.  Within seven days of a player receiving this title, the Machine 
shall manifest in the Scholar's dreams and utter one truth.  This truth 
shall take the form, "IF AND ONLY IF today {if clause}, THEN the Machine 
That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."  It must be a truth the Machine has 
never uttered before.

In the Machine's truth, {if clause} will be replaced by no more than 
twelve words.  Each of these words must be in the official dictionary or 
exist in the Rules.  {if clause} shall not contain anything that is not a 
word, except punctuation properly used by the rules of standard English.  
The truth must be such that the Machine shall not fail to go *ping* for 
any seven consecutive calendar days during the current Scholar's term.

Upon waking from this dream, the Scholar must announce the Machine's 
truth in a public message to all Acka, but disguise each letter of each 
word in the {if clause}, but not space characters, with *'s in order to 
preserve the sacred truth from the eyes of heretics.  E.g., the truth "IF 
AND ONLY IF today is Wednesday or Thursday, THEN the Machine That Goes 
*ping* shall go *ping*," must be announced, "IF AND ONLY IF today **
********* ** ********, THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."
Punctuation shall be placed in its proper place in an undisguised 
fashion.  If the Scholar does not announce the Machine's truth in this fashion 
within seven days of receiving his title, he is deemed to be a quack and 
the Machine randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.

IV. It is strictly against this rule for the Scholar to use any means 
whatsoever, other than those described in this rule, to communicate any 
information regarding the Truth to any player, so long as the Truth remains 
unknown to all players but him.

V.  Beginning on the calendar day after the Scholar announces the Machine's 
truth, the Machine shall go *ping* exactly once on any calendar day the 
statement described by "today {if clause}" is at any time true. The 
Machine shall not otherwise go *ping*.  It is the duty of the Scholar to 
inform the rest of Acka of this occurrence.  He must do so by posting a public 
message with the form, "Today is Someday, the xth day of Month, in the 
Year of Our Lord YYYY, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  
Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* n times."  In the 
actual message, Someday will replaced by the actual day of the week, xth will 
be replaced by the ordinal number of that day of the month, Month will be 
replaced by the name of the current month, YYYY will be replaced by the digits 
of the current year, and n will be the number of times which the Machine has 
gone *ping* during the current Scholar's term.

The scholar may and must make this announcement if and only if the Machine 
has gone *ping* that day, and he must post exactly one announcement per 
*ping* during the day in which that *ping* occurred.  The time zone used for 
the purposes of this rule is that from which the announcement was sent, 
unless Acka should ever have an official time zone, in which case this 
rule defers to that of the official time zone.

VI. If any player other than the Scholar believes he knows the Machine's 
truth, he shall announce what he believes its undisguised form to be in a 
public message.  If he is correct, the Scholar shall congratulate him, 
and the Machine shall produce one Gadget from a Blueprint randomly selected 
from the set of Blueprints which both existed at the beginning of the 
current Scholar's term and currently exist; this Gadget shall be awarded to 
the player who correctly guessed the Machine's truth.  The Machine shall then 
transport itself to that player's Home.

If he guesses incorrectly, the Scholar shall ridicule him in a public 
message, immune from the Politness Moon in doing so.  This takes 
precedence over Rule 400.  The ridiculed player must pay a fine of 5 A$ 
to the treasury for mocking the sacred truth, and he may not again guess 
the Machine's truth while the current Scholar's term lasts.  The Scholar 
must either congratulate or ridicule the player who guessed within three 
days of the guess being posted.  In the time after the guess is made, but 
before the Scholar either responds or loses his title for not responding, 
no one may post another guess at the Machine's truth.

VII.  If the Machine has gone *ping* at least six times since a Magic 
Letter was named, and at least six times during the current Scholar's term, 
any active player other than the Scholar may name any letter of the alphabet 
not already named as the Magic Letter during the current scholar's term to be 
the Magic Letter by so posting to the public forum.  Each time a Magic 
Letter may be name, the Scholar shall consider for that purpose only 
the first post he receives naming a Magic Letter.  The Scholar must 
respond within three days by naming the player whose post was 
considered, and by publically reposting the Machine's truth in 
its disguised form, except that any * representing the Magic Letter or any 
letter previously named the Magic Letter during the current Scholar's term 
shall be replaced with the actual letter or letters represented.  The 
player whose post was considered then forfeits 10 A$ to the Treasury.  

VIII.  If the Machine has gone *ping* thirty times during the current 
Scholar's term, the Scholar must, within three days of the 30th *ping*, 
publically post the Machine's truth in its undisguised form.

When the Scholar posts the undisguised truth, any active player may, 
within the next three days, submit a CFCJ that the Scholar violated the 
rules of his duties during the current Scholar's term.  If no player does 
so in that time, or if the returned verdict is FALSE, the Scholar 
receives 50 A$ for his services, and the Machine randomly teleports 
itself to another active player's Home.

IX.  If the Scholar is placed in Gaol or goes on vacation, the Machine 
randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.  

Should a CFCJ ever find that the current Scholar has violated any part of 
this rule during the current Scholar's term, the Machine immediately 
randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.

If the Scholar loses his title for any reason other than going on 
vacation, he must post the truth most recently revealed to him in its 
undisguised form within three days of the loss of his title, unless he 
has already done so.  If he loses his title by going on vacation, he must 
post the undisguised form of the truth most recently revealed to him 
within three days of returning from vacation.

Whenever the Machine changes locations, it shall cease to go *ping*, and 
it shall not resume this function until a new truth is announced.  During 
the time after the Machine changes locations but before a new truth is 
announced, no one may post a guess at the Machine's truth or name the 
Magic Letter.

Whenever the Machine randomly teleports itself, it is the duty of the 
Assistant Tabulator to report its new location.  If no such office 
exists, this duty falls to the Tabulator.  If neither office exists, this 
duty falls to the Speaker.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:15:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1235 (fwd)

Because this is not self-deleting, will this have the effect of UW being 
required by law to repeal rules again and again until the ruleset is null?

Guy Fawkes

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1235 - Fri Sep 13 17:18:23 EDT 1996
> Stand and Destroy.
> Techno  (Jerome Herrman)
> 
> Upon passage of this rule, each member of the UnderWorld Party, will 
> select 1 current rule each, for automatic repeal.
> 
> This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 17:56:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1239

In proposal 1239 Habeous Corpus wrote:
> 1)  Text contained wholly within parentheses, (),  shall be known as
> "parenthetic statements".  Parenthetic statements may be nested ,  and
> may have some effect on the gamestate.  Parenthetic statements are
> non-deleting except by an amending proposal or other conditions specified
> in Rules.
> 
> 2)  Text contained wholly within single curved brackets, {},  shall be
> known as conditional text.  Initially conditional text shall be treated
> as a parenthetic statement.
>   
> 3)  Rules containing conditional text must contain a statement of
> conditions under which the conditional text is to be deleted.  Upon the
> occurrence of the action specified in the conditions of the conditional
> text,  all text within the brackets,  and the brackets themselves,  will
> be deleted.  Statements of conditions may be contained in Notes, 
> Self-Deleting Text,  parenthetic statements,  or plain text.
> 
> 4)  Conditional text may contain parenthetic statements or other elements
> of semantic content;  these elements are considered part of the
> conditional text and will be deleted along with the rest of the text.
> 
> {{After the comments made by /dev/joe,  I felt that codifying a way to
> contain conditional text would be wise.}}

This is a complicated solution to a simple problem.

I don't think there's any problem with the {text in single curly brackets}
in his flamingo hotel rule; the problem is that the text that deletes the
{curly bracketed} text is in [single square brackets], and is a note with
"no semantic meaning" by some other rule.

This proposal would fix this in a rather awkward way, by explicitly
stating that conditions for deleting this specific kind of text can appear
in notes, except that it might need to claim precedence over the Notes
rule in order to work.

All I was suggesting was that the [brackets] around that section should
be deleted.  

One of the more concepts that most Ackanomians generally seem to agree
with is that when there is a problem with one rule or proposal, which
is not a general problem, it should be fixed by amending the rule, or
retracting the proposal and submitting a fixed version.  Some of our
newer members haven't had the chance to learn this yet, but I think
they will.

On the other hand, there are times when there is a general problem with
many rules or proposals that needs another rule to fix it.  For example,
Malenkai's Loophole (i.e., creating entities by R115 that will be given
properties by a rule to be created by a proposal currently up for vote)
may take more than one new rule to completely fix, although there is
a CFJ now which might determine that "protection by default" closed
that loophole, except for explicitly non-protected things.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:07:22 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC - Internomic Voting 

>Phil Ackley wrote:
>
>> A senator who is held In Contempt shall pay a fine of A$100 to the
>> treasury, or be placed in the Gaol for three days.
>
>Is this a discretionary decision, or a result of not having the A$100?
>If so, who makes the decision?
>
>Malenkai

You are the second person to point that out to me.  I'll fix it before
submitting.  I would prefer for it to be discretionary.

frozenwterdiety

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Smart Traders know that only IdiotBoy can provide them with the best rates,
the most security, and the most creative new incentives to future bond
trading.  When you want to exchange PFbonds, steer clear of the
scammeisters.  Go see IdiotBoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:07:25 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Updated RFC - entities and Treasury 

>From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
>> Why do we need a tax anyway?
>>
>> Malenkai
>
>There it is again, kids.  The Man is trying to keep you down!  You are OWED a
>fair chance.  Officers sitting in eir ivory towers don't understand the
>struggles of the common Player.   Why should those who have already succeeded
>continue to suceed at the expense of the Rest of Us?

Everyone in Ackanomia has a fair (and equal) and equal chance to make money
through creative scamming, rule writing or office holding.  I prefer to do
it in a legitimate way as inventor, and by offering various services (such
as portraiteer, VRML architect, etc).  Wayne tries to do it through
sneakier means (accepting bribes, payoff proposals, etc).  Either way, both
of us are doing quite well for ourselves.  Malenkai has another strategy
alltogether.  He hardly spends any of his A$ so his lot just keeps piling
up.

Anyone can improve his lot in ackanomic, without relying on a tax-based
welfare system to do it for him.  I know for a fact that when a player
needs a capital boost to start a venture (or make a bribe) there are always
several other players waiting around anxiously to help (ivest).  No one
ever wants in ackanomic.

snowgod
President
workin for the man

frozenwaterdiety

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Smart Traders know that only IdiotBoy can provide them with the best rates,
the most security, and the most creative new incentives to future bond
trading.  When you want to exchange PFbonds, steer clear of the
scammeisters.  Go see IdiotBoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:07:37 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Autction Update 

The current High Bid for the Vending Machine is A$90, bid by Guy Fawkes

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:07:32 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re:  Acka: RFC - Internomic Voting 

>To be safe, I would prefer that this clause use the exact wording and
>capitalization that the Senate Confirmation rule does.

Fair enough, I will do that.

>>A senator who is held In Contempt shall pay a fine of A$100 to the
>>treasury, or be placed in the Gaol for three days.
>
>This proposal rule suffers from the same problem that the Senate
>Confirmation rule does -- it provides no means for a Senator to stop being
>held in Contempt.

How about if a player stops being held in contempt as soon as he has been
penalized, by either paying his fine, or serving three days in gaol?

 Moreover, it does not specify the timing of the
>penalties, so it appears to apply them continuously.

I will need to fix that

 Finally, if you
>are going to fix up these problems with being in contempt, then you
>should also fix up the other instance of putting Senators in Contempt.

I had assumed that by having a rule defining contempt it would fix up the
problems with the other rules.  For instance, a senator who is helf in
contempt for not casting a cnfirmation vote would suffer the same
penalties.

>I'll vote for it if you fix the problems I noted.  I will be a little sad,
>however, to see myself no longer in contempt.  Right now it makes me
>unique in Ackanomic.

Hey, I don't have to remove the previously contempted players, but then
when this passes, it's A$100 or three days in gaol for you :)

>ThinMan
>Senator
>Held in Contempt
>Jazz Jackrabbit

frozenwaterdiety

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Smart Traders know that only IdiotBoy can provide them with the best rates,
the most security, and the most creative new incentives to future bond
trading.  When you want to exchange PFbonds, steer clear of the
scammeisters.  Go see IdiotBoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:07:41 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction Again 

The current High Bid for the Vending Machine is A$95, bid by Habeous Corpus

frozenwaterdiety

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Smart Traders know that only IdiotBoy can provide them with the best rates,
the most security, and the most creative new incentives to future bond
trading.  When you want to exchange PFbonds, steer clear of the
scammeisters.  Go see IdiotBoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:07:45 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re:  Acka: SVH 

ThinMan Worte:

>
>Perhaps it's bas form for me to praise this SVH before Geezer does, but
>I think this is fantastic.  I'm ROFL!
>
>frozenwaterdeity, I agree with you (*gasp*): this is undoubtedly my favorite
>of the rules you have written.
>

I too love this hat.  And I must say to ThinMan, while we are actually
agreeing on something, that I believe he is the best Mad Hatter the game
has ever known.  Robert Sevin's hat was truly inspired.  As a matter a
fact, when that hat was created, I was seriously considering a rule which
would give ThinMan a BlueCross based on excellence in SVH design.

frozenwaterdiety

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Smart Traders know that only IdiotBoy can provide them with the best rates,
the most security, and the most creative new incentives to future bond
trading.  When you want to exchange PFbonds, steer clear of the
scammeisters.  Go see IdiotBoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 23:33:12 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1202

Proposal 1202 - Mon Sep 09 23:33:12 EDT 1996
More Work for the Map-Harfer
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend Rule 895, "Map-Harfer", to read:

      The Office of the Map-Harfer is a Functional Office. 

      The duties of the Map-Harfer are:	
	a) to create and maintain the Map of Ackanomia, as governed by
other rules. 
	b) to maintain and make publically available a list of the 
locations of all entities, including players, for which location is
known or specified.

{{[it makes more sense for the map-harfer to do this, rather than the
speaker]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Sep 96 23:33:43 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1203

Proposal 1203 - Mon Sep 09 23:33:42 EDT 1996
Why Me?
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 592, "Protection" to add the following text after the fourth
paragraph of the rule:

Manipulation of a protected entitiy is permissable if such manipulation
is not explicitly regulated by the rules, and such manipulation would
not have a material effect on the game.  In other words, the game
state must be the same after the manipulation as it would have been
had the manipulation not occurred.

For the purposes of the above paragraph, discussion of the manipulation
is not considered a material effect on the game.  Nor is the initiation,
or the effects, of a CFJ or CFCJ alledging or indicating the manipulation
was illegal, unless said CFJ or CFCJ is judged TRUE.  It is recognized
that deciding whether a particular manipulation materially affected the
game state is a matter that often can only be decided by judgement alone.

{{[I just want to drink some Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice, or bonk
Supreme Court Justices over the head with a Bronze Torch, and not go
to Gaol like snowgod did.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 15:31:31 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1177 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1177
  Proposal 1177 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:30 EDT 1996
  A small fix for Characters that represent PartyChessPieces
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

7 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 7 points.  0 -> -7

7 YES votes:  3 point each
  Brinjal                                       0 -> 3            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                -7 -> -4           
  Bascule                FUN                    0 -> 3            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  Techno                 Underworld             0 -> 3            
  Wayne                  Underworld             0 -> 3            

7 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   0               
  Mellon                                      =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   0               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 15:38:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1179 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1179
  Proposal 1179 - Tue Sep 03 12:04:37 EDT 1996
  The Evolution of Cooperation
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

11 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 7 points.  10 -> 3

11 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                    0 -> 3            
  Malenkai               FUN                    3 -> 6            
  Mellon                                        3 -> 6            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                -4 -> -1           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                    3 -> 6            
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  Techno                 Underworld             3 -> 6            
  Wayne                  Underworld             3 -> 6            

6 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   3               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               

1 PRESENT votes:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            =   3

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 15:36:23 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1177 Fails

====================================================
This is the actual result for 1177.  I mistakenly left out
a couple of votes last time.  As far as I can tell, all scores
should be zero now, so there is no gnome buddy.

==============================================================

Here are the voting results for : 1177
  Proposal 1177 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:30 EDT 1996
  A small fix for Characters that represent PartyChessPieces
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

10 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 7 points.  0 -> -7

10 YES votes:  3 point each
  Brinjal                                       0 -> 3            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                -7 -> -4           
  Bascule                FUN                    0 -> 3            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  Habeous Corpus                                0 -> 3            
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Techno                 Underworld             0 -> 3            
  Wayne                  Underworld             0 -> 3            

7 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   0               
  Mellon                                      =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   0               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 15:37:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1178 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1178
  Proposal 1178 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:48 EDT 1996
  Compensating for the fact that we are a vacation club anyway
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

15 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  0 -> 10

15 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  10               
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   3               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  -4               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   3               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   3               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   3               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   3               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   3               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Mellon                                        0 -> 3            
  Bash                   Underworld             0 -> 3            

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1178 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:48 EDT 1996
Compensating for the fact that we are a vacation club anyway
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 609, so that section (iv) reads in full:

      (iv)  Acting Officers:

             The Rules may specify conditions under which a Player
             serves in an Office in an "Acting" capacity.  In such
             a case, the Player is responsible for performing all
             of the Duties without receiving any of the Privileges
             of the Office, except for Privileges which are also
             explicitly defined to be Duties by the rules, or Privileges
             required to perform explicitly defined Duties, or Privileges
             of the office when the Acting officer is filling in for a
             vacationing player. For any given Seat, there can be
             an "Acting" Officer only if the Seat is vacant.

{{[the original concept of acting officers was for impeachments, and
the privilege distinction made sense.  With so much vacation, however, we
have to move on and let the acting officers do their full job, and
get paid, without this duty/privilege headache]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 96 16:56:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1207

Proposal 1207 - Tue Sep 10 16:56:10 EDT 1996
Underworld Payoff
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

{{ Each Active Player who is a member of Underworld when this proposal
passes shall be granted A$300 each, payable from the Treasury. }}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:40:23 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction  

IdiotBoy has bid A$115 for the vending machine.

Chief Cheese

frozenwaterdiety

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
Smart Traders know that only IdiotBoy can provide them with the best rates,
the most security, and the most creative new incentives to future bond
trading.  When you want to exchange PFbonds, steer clear of the
scammeisters.  Go see IdiotBoy!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 12:06:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1214

Proposal 1214 - Wed Sep 11 12:06:55 EDT 1996
#proposal
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

This Rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.

Each player who is not a member of Underworld and owns at least 20 PFbonds
in thier own name shall transfer 20 PFBonds to Wayne.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 20:00:06 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Look out!

Looks like Wayne got those email pipes unclogged!

IdiotBoy

Advertisement:
IdiotBoy makes an incredible New Zealand Lamb Stew.  Not particularlly important
to the bond trade, but business is slow

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 03:43:06 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Additional clause to Duels RFC

The first part of that RFC will go some rephrasing, some of Thiman's
suggestions, and a couple of other points that I saw.
F'rinstance - the first message from the Challenger's Second to the
Chalengee will be a public message.
This solves a potential problem that could have occured if a player is
challenged while he is already within the four day period in which he
needs to reply to an earlier challenge. I don't think a Player should be
penalized for this. It's possible to make provisions for this even if the
message is not public, but making it a public message is simpler. This way
everyone know that he has been Challenged.
This additional clause deals with condition under which it would be
impermissible to Challenge players. I'll figure out the numbers later.
This section is necessary mostly to protect the Challengee

(Section number)
a. It is impermissible to Challenge an Untouchable Player to a Duel.

b. A Player who Challenged another Player to a Duel or a Player who has
been Challenged by another Player to a Duel is Untouchable until the Duel
procedures are over, for whatever reason.

c. A Player who was a Chalengee in a Duel, that is, was Challenged to a
Duel and accepted, continues to be Untouchable until 20 days after the
end of the Duel procedures.

d. Players on Vacation are Untouchable {{[Is this necessary?]}}

e. Players in Gaol are Untouchable.

f. A Player who anounces that e will be going on Vacation on a specific
future date is Untouchable starting on the date of the anouncement or four
days before the anounced date of the Vacation, whichever is later, until
the date he actually goes on Vacation or four days after the anounced
date of the Vacation, whichever is earlier.  If by that latter date the
Player still has not gone on Vacation, then he cannot be Untouchable for a
period of 14 days, this sentence is an exception only to this sub-section,
and not to the other sub-section of this rule.

g. If a player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures  goes on
Vacation that lasts more than 7 days e foreits the Duel.

h. If a Player who is currently engaged in Duel procedures goes on
Vacation that lasts 7 days or less, all Duel procedures are delayed by a
number of days equal to the number of days e was on Vacation. If a player
goes on a second Vacation during the same Duel he forfeits the Duel.

- ------------------------------------------------
I think that should cover it. I believe it protects both players and the
Duel procedures from abuse. Note that it mostly protects the Challenged
Player, and rightly so. The best protection for the Challenging PLayer is
not to issue the Challenge

rfc

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #230
*******************************