Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #225
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Thursday, September 12 1996     Volume 01 : Number 225

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 01:07:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Inventor: Official

Phil Ackley wrote:

SnowGod can now auction this.

> 
> I had planned to wait for a later date to build the fabled vending machine,
> but since the situation is at least (temporarily clear) I have now selected
> the blueprint from the vending machine from the list of currently existing
> blueprints, and am building it.
> 
> Also, I would like to note, as inventor, the amazing use that Habeous
> Corpus has recieved from the Whamiol (which he purchased for a measly
> A$75).  I hope new players continue to join the game, and his score
> continues to rise.  Wouldn't it be funny if no-one could reach the magic
> number becuase HC's score went over it each time a new player joined the
> game?
> 
> snowgod
> inventor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:09:46 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Name Change 

>Phil Ackley wrote:
>>
>> I am changing my legal ackanomic name to SnowGod
>>
>> SnowGod
>
>This name change brings up some interesting questions.  First of all,
>on an anal level, the change was not accompanied by the reasoning and
>other material required by R 570, so therefore probably didn't occur,
>if something big was at stake.

I did forget to do that didn't I?  I will have to post another message.

>
>On a more interesting level, is this a change at all?  Does game custom
>have anything to say about the relavence of capitalization?  R 703
>deals with the issue somewhat, but its relevance is not apparent late
>at night.

I believe it is a change, for the following reason.  Capitalization is
considered normal procedure when refering to a proper noun.  Since I have
previously gone without capitization, my recent change to including it
should denote a significant difference between the two names.  Since
"proteted" (ugg i cant type after 200 messages) isn't a proper noun (or a
noun at all for that matter) it's capitization is insignificat, in contrast
to my name.

In any event, I shall change it again just to be on the safe side.

snowgod

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
The rave reviews of IdiotBoy's financial prowess continue to pour in.  Look
at this quote from snowgod: 'I couldn't get more than A$75 for my PFsnow,
until IdiotBoy showed me the way.  Thanks, IdiotBoy!'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:09:50 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Another Name Change 

I am once again (?) changing my ackanomic name.  This time I change my
ackanomic name to frozenwaterdiety - my reasoning for this attempt
atchanging my name (as required by the rules) is that my previous attempt
to change my name did not include as posting of the reasoning behind it,
and may have been invalid.

frozenwaterdiety

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
The rave reviews of IdiotBoy's financial prowess continue to pour in.  Look
at this quote from snowgod: 'I couldn't get more than A$75 for my PFsnow,
until IdiotBoy showed me the way.  Thanks, IdiotBoy!'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 01:13:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 281 (breadbox)

snowgod declined.

breadbox has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.  That die
has found a new friend.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 281
  Subject: Party Gravity Paradox I
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Habeous Corpus (declined to judge)
2nd Judge: snowgod (declined to judge)
3rd Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 12, 1996, 01:12h EDT)
Judgement:

Statement:

The legality of a Swinger trading a SwingVote after the Round Count is
incremented to a number that, when divided by RoundFreq, results in an
integer, for the first time, cannot be determined with finality.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

SwingVotes are protected, therefore can only be acquired in accordance
with the Rules.  Therefore, before the first time the Round Count is
incremented to a number that, when divided by RoundFreq, results in an
integer, all swingers have 0 swing votes (or at least did in this case,
as no used Malenkai's loophole acquire any, as we are good sports).

The first time (and each subsequent time) such incrementation and division
occur, the following is relavent, per R 1116:

> a. When ever the Round Count is incremented to a number that, when
> divided by RoundFreq, results in an integer, SwingVotes are distributed
> according to the following scheme

> The number of SwingVotes received by each Swinger= the largest integer
> smaller than [(the Swinger's SwingScore / (RoundFreq * number of
> Swingers)) +0.4]

The condition in the paragraph labelled a. is met, thus SwingVotes are
distributed in accordance with the schedule in the next quoted paragraph.
But what is that schedule?  I quote from R 545, in full:

> A left square bracket in a rule or other text begins a note, which ends
> with the next following right square bracket, or the end of the rule or
> body of text, whichever comes first. [This means that notes do not nest.]
> In the Ackanomic language, notes have no semantic meaning, whatever
> their lexical content.

Thus the content in the schedule in [brackets] has no semantic meaning.
Therefore the swinger receives swing votes in accordance with the following
schedule:

> The number of SwingVotes received by each Swinger= the largest integer
> smaller than

Smaller than what?  It is indeterminate.  They receive, by rule, some
integral number of SwingVotes smaller than [?].  It may be 10, it
may not be 10, who the heck knows?.  Thus the number of SwingVotes received
by the Swinger is indetermine.  Thus we do not know if they have zero
or a non-zero quantity, thus we do not know if they have any to trade.
Thus we do not know the legality of the swinger trading one, because we
cannot know if e has any!  A verdict of TRUE is indicated.

I note that SwingVotes are explicitly tradeable, in accordance with R 1116,
so that is not a counter argument.

The initiator wins the game in accordance with R 219 on a verdict of TRUE.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 01:16:00 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Another Name Change

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> I am once again (?) changing my ackanomic name.  This time I change my
> ackanomic name to frozenwaterdiety - my reasoning for this attempt
> atchanging my name (as required by the rules) is that my previous attempt
> to change my name did not include as posting of the reasoning behind it,
> and may have been invalid.
> 
> frozenwaterdiety

If you care about following R 570, this one didn't work either.  Sorry.

Malenkai
pedantic

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:34:41 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Financier, Please Note

> I am selling 25 Pfsnow to Techno for his high bid of A$150.
> 
> I may be willing to sell another lot for the right price.
> 
> snowgod
> 
I hereby accept and acknowledge this transaction.

Techno
"Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:34:41 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Also Invoking R115

> I am invoking R115 to create an acka enity known as a t-shirt.
> 
> I am intial creating 27 t-shirts, each of which reads "I survivedd the PF
> Email Blizzard of '96" and has a picture of the gnome on the back.
> 
> I will sell thse T-shirts for A$10 a piece.
> 
> Furthermore, I am creating an acka-enitity known as a moth, that will
> destroy and piece of acka-clothing (including t-shirts and sweatpants) not
> created by snowgod or defined in the rules.
> 
> snowgod
> 
I am purchasing a t-shirt from snowgod for A$10.

Techno
"Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:39:17 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Another Name Change

> I am once again (?) changing my ackanomic name.  This time I change my
> ackanomic name to frozenwaterdiety - my reasoning for this attempt
> atchanging my name (as required by the rules) is that my previous attempt
> to change my name did not include as posting of the reasoning behind it,
> and may have been invalid.
> 
> frozenwaterdiety
> 
> 
If this is a frail attempt to make worthless the PFsnowgod you have 
recently sold, I believe they change names with the player they are 
tied to.  (Am I correct?)

Techno
"Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:47:49 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: nomicbot

#scores
#current
"Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:45:08 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Using R115

I am using R115 to create the item described below:

  It is called "Techno's Beautiful Brass Umbrella-Stand Tree".
  If Techno buys it, he can put it by his front door to hold umbrellas
  so that he can always take one with him when he goes out.  It has 10
  umbrella-stands capable of holding a total of about 50 or 60 umbrellas.
  This is a valuable one-of-a-kind item, hand-crafted by a team of
  elves and atogs in Oostania.

I am offering Techno's Beautiful Brass Umbrella-Stand Tree for sale at
a price of A$150 to the first player to agree to this price.  Don't
miss out!

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 02:00:07 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Using R115

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> I am using R115 to create the item described below:
> 
>   It is called "Techno's Beautiful Brass Umbrella-Stand Tree".
>   If Techno buys it, he can put it by his front door to hold umbrellas
>   so that he can always take one with him when he goes out.  It has 10
>   umbrella-stands capable of holding a total of about 50 or 60 umbrellas.
>   This is a valuable one-of-a-kind item, hand-crafted by a team of
>   elves and atogs in Oostania.

I am using R 115 to instantiate Rain d'Acid, and I am having said 
Rain d'Acid fall on the entity described above.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 22:47:31 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Also Invoking R115 (ThinMan - Busy Man) 

>I am purchasing a t-shirt from snowgod for A$10.
>
>Techno
>"Don't learn the tricks of the trade, learn the trade."

I acknowledgde and accept this transaction

snowgod

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
The rave reviews of IdiotBoy's financial prowess continue to pour in.  Look
at this quote from snowgod: 'I couldn't get more than A$75 for my PFsnow,
until IdiotBoy showed me the way.  Thanks, IdiotBoy!'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 22:47:35 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Another Name Change 

>> I am once again (?) changing my ackanomic name.  This time I change my
>> ackanomic name to frozenwaterdiety - my reasoning for this attempt
>> atchanging my name (as required by the rules) is that my previous attempt
>> to change my name did not include as posting of the reasoning behind it,
>> and may have been invalid.
>>
>> frozenwaterdiety
>>
>>
>If this is a frail attempt to make worthless the PFsnowgod you have
>recently sold, I believe they change names with the player they are
>tied to.  (Am I correct?)

Ah no need to worry techno.  Those Pfsnow are yours.  I wouldn't dream of
cheating you out of them.  No this is a (stronger) attempt at cheating
another player out of something that is not really rightfully his anyhow...
Of course it looks like I may have to wait till I get my web access back
and try it one more time after checking out R570

snowgod

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
The rave reviews of IdiotBoy's financial prowess continue to pour in.  Look
at this quote from snowgod: 'I couldn't get more than A$75 for my PFsnow,
until IdiotBoy showed me the way.  Thanks, IdiotBoy!'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 23:06:13 -0800
From: "ACKLEY, PHILLIP R." <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Name Change

Once again...

I am changing my name from snowgod to frozenwaterdiety.  My reasoning 
behind this attempt at changing my name is that my previous two attempts 
at chan\ging my name were invalid.

snowgod
using his little used UAA account to access the web and check the rules, 
and hoping that IdiotBoy will forgive him for this on message (posted 
from a funny emailadress) without an advertisment, but just in case he 
won't I will throw in a little note telling you to "Buy Bonds From IdiotBoy"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 23:54:27 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Official: Auction 

I am now auctioning the Vending Machine.  Get your A$ ready, folks.  This
little baby could make it's owner a TON 'O MONEY.  And remember, as
inventor, I will happily work with you, the retailer, to produce the
highest quality, and most disireable Add-Ons that you can imagine.  Have an
idea for an add-on?  Just purchase this baby and I'll make you whatever
kind of add-on you want.,..

And, oh yeah... It comes with references.  If you are still unsure about
the quality of my inventions just ask Bascule, proud owner of the ...Blue
Thing... or Habeous Corpus who's score has skyrocketed lately thanks to the
Whamiol!  Two happy campers, I garuntee!

snowgod

send you bids to [email-masked]

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
The rave reviews of IdiotBoy's financial prowess continue to pour in.  Look
at this quote from snowgod: 'I couldn't get more than A$75 for my PFsnow,
until IdiotBoy showed me the way.  Thanks, IdiotBoy!'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 23:54:31 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: New Gadget 

Blurprint:  Monetary Frobnotzer

The Monetary Frobnotzer (Frobnotzer for short) converts it owners points
into currency.

By attaching one electrode of the Frobnotzers to his nose, and the other
electrode to either the Financier or the Treasury (whichever is closer) and
turning the handcrank three times the player activates the Frobnotzer.
Once activated the frobnotzer will preform one of the following three
functions (dependant on scoring criteria):

1) If the Frobnotzer's owners score is greater than zero, the frobnotzer
will deduct 10 points from it's owners score and transfer 1.5(x) A$  [where
x equals the number of proposals it's owner has authored] into the account
of it's owner.

2)  If the Frobnotzer's owners score is less than zero, the frobnotzer will
deduct 5 points from it's owners score and transfer .5(x) A$ [where x
equals the number of proposals it's owner has authored] into the account of
it's owner and then catch and fire and be destroyed.

3) If the Frobnotzer's owners score equals zero exactly, the Frobnotzer
will buzz but will not produce and change in scores or account balance.

The Frobnotzer is a mechanical device and is subject to wear and tear.  It
may be activated 6 times (assuming it is not destroyed first).  However,
after it's sixth activation it will catch fire and be destroyed [can't seem
to fix that overheating problem with the handcrank]

The Frobnotzer's electrodes also need time to dry off, after being soaked
with sweat from it's owners nose, therefore the gadget may never be used
more than once in any seven day period or it will electrocute it's owner
and be destroyed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** *
The rave reviews of IdiotBoy's financial prowess continue to pour in.  Look
at this quote from snowgod: 'I couldn't get more than A$75 for my PFsnow,
until IdiotBoy showed me the way.  Thanks, IdiotBoy!'
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:43:46 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Also Invoking R115

 From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
> I am invoking R115 to create an acka enity known as a t-shirt.
> 
> I am intial creating 27 t-shirts, each of which reads "I survivedd the PF
> Email Blizzard of '96" and has a picture of the gnome on the back.
> 
> I will sell thse T-shirts for A$10 a piece.

Ohhhhh, I must have one of them there T-shirts!  Here's my A$10 (ironicallly
enough earned from the blizzard, I plow snow)

IdiotBoy

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:59:10 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Let it snow, let it Snow, let it frozenwater!

I am more than willing to move this discussion to acka-financial, but what if I
miss my target audience?  I'm still trying to diversify my portfolio, and the
bond market is awfully young.

IdiotBoy
- --
Matt Miller
[email-masked]

Advertisement:
IdiotBoy not only looks after your money, he also looks after your email box. 
Ask IdiotBoy about his Public Forum Newsletter:  All the important news from the
public forum in one easy to read message.  

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 08:24:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Also Invoking R115

Just out of curiosity and not having Malenkai's qualms, I too shall 
invoke rule 115

I create an entity called the Fuzzy Green Mold.  It immediatly destroys all 
extant unProtected (or unprotected) entities whose names refer to any dairy 
product, regardless of their destructibility.  This includes Malenkai's 
Cheese Box.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 09:27:04 PDT
From: Bill Ingram <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Acka

- --- On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:21:40 -0400  Malenkai <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Malenkai
>Speaker

Mr. Speaker,

Please see to it that my Email address is removed from all of the 
Ackanomic lists.

Thank you.

                       +*=*=*=*=*=*+*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=[email-masked]=+
 __                    *                                                      *
)o (--o   EXTERMINATE! =                                                      =
""""===-( EXTERMINATE! * "Indecision is the key to flexibility."              *
|::|:\    EXTERMINATE! =                                                      =
|::|::\                *                                                      *
=======                = -- Unknown                                           =
   pict by B. Darcel   +=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*+*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*+

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:30:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1218

Guy Fawkes writes:
> This smells of a Trojan horse--
> 
> In the middle of the UW coup proposals, here is something that appears 
> *mostly* harmless.  I mean, if *everyone* votes yes, the only affect is 
> horrid inflation and the likely draining of the treasury.
> 
> On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > Proposal 1218 - Wed Sep 11 13:51:02 EDT 1996
> > Scroll of Money
> > Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)
> > 
> > There shall be a protected entity call the Scroll of Money.  This scroll
> > will list the names of the players who voted for the proposal that
> > created this rule.  The scroll will exist unchanged until this Rule
> > is modified or repealed.
> > 
> > On the first Friday of every month, A$400 will be transfered from the
> > Treasury to each player who has thier name on the Scroll of Money.

Proposal 1218 is invalid by rule 793, and by rule 104 it is removed
from consideration.  If necessary we can call a CFJ on it.

/dev/joe
========================================
I think you need to make a CFJ on this one.  It is not a clearcut
violation of 793.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:47:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka  1177-1179 reposts

====================================================
This is the actual result for 1177.  I mistakenly left out
a couple of votes last time.  As far as I can tell, all scores
should be zero now, so there is no gnome buddy.

==============================================================

Here are the voting results for : 1177
  Proposal 1177 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:30 EDT 1996
  A small fix for Characters that represent PartyChessPieces
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

10 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 7 points.  0 -> -7

10 YES votes:  3 point each
  Brinjal                                       0 -> 3            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                -7 -> -4           
  Bascule                FUN                    0 -> 3            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  Habeous Corpus                                0 -> 3            
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Techno                 Underworld             0 -> 3            
  Wayne                  Underworld             0 -> 3            

7 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   0               
  Mellon                                      =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   0               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
==========================
Here are the voting results for : 1178
  Proposal 1178 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:48 EDT 1996
  Compensating for the fact that we are a vacation club anyway
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

15 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  0 -> 10

15 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  10               
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   3               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  -4               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   3               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   3               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   3               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   3               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   3               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Mellon                                        0 -> 3            
  Bash                   Underworld             0 -> 3            

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
============================
Here are the voting results for : 1179
  Proposal 1179 - Tue Sep 03 12:04:37 EDT 1996
  The Evolution of Cooperation
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

11 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 7 points.  10 -> 3

11 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                    0 -> 3            
  Malenkai               FUN                    3 -> 6            
  Mellon                                        3 -> 6            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                -4 -> -1           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                    3 -> 6            
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  Techno                 Underworld             3 -> 6            
  Wayne                  Underworld             3 -> 6            

6 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   3               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               

1 PRESENT votes:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            =   3

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:48:23 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1222

Proposal 1222 - Thu Sep 12 11:48:22 EDT 1996
Sigh, Malenkai, Sigh...
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 1116, section 2.a. by changing the first "[" to "(" and
changing the first "]" to ")".

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:48:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1223

Proposal 1223 - Thu Sep 12 11:48:50 EDT 1996
Appealing Appeals
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 569 to replace the 4th paragraph with:

      If the Court agrees with the previous verdict, then the player who
lodged the appeal shall be fined 25 points for frivolously bothering the
Judges. However, if the Court finds the case differently than the previous
verdict, then the verdict shall be overturned to the new verdict, and the
judge (or each justice on the court) who delivered the previous verdict,
shall be fined an amount from 1 to 10 points, to be decided by the
Justices of the Court. 

{{[the current paragraph of the rule is pretty buggy on appeals of 
appeals; in fact, if the court finds for breadbox' position on CFJ 269
and overturns it back to FALSE, breadbox loses 25 points!  If they
uphold TRUE, they must penalise the original judge again.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:49:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1224

Proposal 1224 - Thu Sep 12 11:49:09 EDT 1996
Harfmeister Bug
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend R 1112.1, "Let there be Harf!" to replace all occurrances
of "accepted or rejected", with "accepted, rejected, or otherwise
removed from voting consideration"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:49:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1225

Proposal 1225 - Thu Sep 12 11:49:49 EDT 1996
Honor Among Theives
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

This is a Modest proposal.

Create a new rule reading:

All members of the Underworld party must always have the same score.  If at any 
time they do not, all their scores shall be immediately and simultaneously 
adjusted to the number given by the sum of their scores divided by the 
the number of players in the party, with any remainder destroyed.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:50:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1226

Proposal 1226 - Thu Sep 12 11:50:13 EDT 1996
Scroll d'Argent
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

There shall be a protected entity called the Scroll d'Argent.  This Scroll
will list the names of the players in the game at the time this rule was
enacted.  The Scroll will exist unchanged until modified by another
rule.

On the first Friday of every month, A$400 will be transfered from the
Treasury to each player who has thier name on the Scroll d'Argent.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:50:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1227

Proposal 1227 - Thu Sep 12 11:50:38 EDT 1996
Wully Bully
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{All Wully Bullies, other than the one created by this rule, are
hereby destroyed.

The protected entity known as the Wully Bully exists.  It shall strike
the names of all players who did not vote YES on the proposal that
created the Scroll d'Argent from the Scroll d'Argent.}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 11:50:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1228

Proposal 1228 - Thu Sep 12 11:50:58 EDT 1996
Kate's Birthday
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

A new rule shall be created with the following text:
- --
September 20th of each year shall be known in Ackanomic as Kate's Birthday.
On Kate's Birthday of each year, any and all players who wish to give Kate
a present may, once each, publicly announce their intent and pay A$10 to
the Treasury.  Kate must not be spoiled, so no player may give her more
than one present per year in that way.  Whenever a player gives Kate a
present as described in this rule, he shall receive five points.  Kate is
an extranomic entity.
- --

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:52:30 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Also Invoking R115

I want some of this action:

Now that the Scroll of Money is free to be tampered with I add the following  4
names to the list on the Scroll of Money:

Wayne
Techno
IdiotBoy
Bash

IdiotBoy

> From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
> I create an entity called the Fuzzy Green Mold.  It immediatly destroys all 
> extant unProtected (or unprotected) entities whose names refer to any dairy 
> product, regardless of their destructibility.  This includes Malenkai's 
> Cheese Box.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:11:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Return from Vacation

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

I hereby return from vacation, and wonder aloud what has happened in my
absence to make pfBonds worth buying.

I intend to review the rules soon, but would welcome advice on anything I
must do soon (like vote against something).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:36:50 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Let it snow, let it Snow, let it frozenwater!

Matt Miller wrote:
> 
> I am more than willing to move this discussion to acka-financial, but what 
> if I miss my target audience?  I'm still trying to diversify my
> portfolio, and the bond market is awfully young.

I don't mind the e-mail volume, but it has been a problem in the past.

As for the bond market, I have some inside information that a major
Bear Market is just around the corner....  Look at the prices PFsnow is
trading at.  Speculative excess to be sure.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:44:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 283 (breadbox)

breadbox, once again, has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 283
  Subject: Cheesy Paradox
Initiator: Guy Fawkes
    Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 12, 1996, 12:44h New York Time)
Judgement:

Statement:
 
The legality of the Fuzzy Green Mold's destruction of Malenkai's
Cheese Box cannot be determined with finality.

Guy Fawkes Reasoning: 

A decision of TRUE here means Guy Fawkes wins
this cycle.  The Cheese Box used R115 to become indestructible by any
means other than Malenkai.

The Fuzzy Green Mold used R115 to claim to destroy it anyway.  There
exists in the ruleset no means of determining precedence between
instantiations, so each claim is equally valid and derives its validity from
the exact same source.  So -- what does happen when an irresistible
force meets an unmovable object?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 12:47:58 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 284 (Malenkai)

Malenkai has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 284
  Subject: Cracking down on R 115 entities
Initiator: ThinMan
    Judge: Malenkai (selected Sep 12, 1996, 12:48h New York Time)
Judgement:

Statement:

Ackanomic entities may not be created if they are not defined by the Rules.

ThinMan's Reasoning:

There has recently been a series of attempts at entity creation.  I might
have just shut up about it if we had stopped with Malenkai's Scroll of
Money, if I could have gotten certain assurances from Malenkai, but things
are now getting out of hand.  Now on to the actual argument:

The two rules in question are Rule 115 and Rule 592:

Rule 115/0 (Immutable)
Permissibility Of The Unprohibited

     Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated by a rule is
     permitted and unregulated, with the sole exception of changing
     the rules, which is permitted only when a rule or set of rules
     explicitly or implicitly permits it.

Rule 592/5 (Mutable)
Protection
Mohammed (Jason Orendorff)

     A Protected entity may not be created, destroyed, or manipulated except
     as specified by the Rules. It has no effect on the game other than those
     effects specified by the Rules.

     A Protected action may not be performed except as specified by the
     rules. An action's performance has no effect on the game other than
     those effects specified by the Rules.

     All entities and actions in Ackanomic are Protected by default, unless
     the rule(s) which specify or define their behaviour *explicitly* state
     otherwise. This clause defers precedence to all such mutable rules
     which *explicitly* state such.
     
     [...]

If an entity is not defined by the Rules, then it must be protected
according to the third paragraph of R 592, for there is no rule specifying
or defining its behaviour to state that it is not protected.  Likewise,
the action of creating that entity is also protected.

R 592 prohibits the creation of a protected entity and the performance of
a protected action except as specified by the Rules.  If an entity is not
defined in the Rules then no rule specifies how it may be created, nor
specifies that it is permissible to create it.  Thus R 592 prohibits the
creation of such an entity.

The recent entity-creators have appealed to R 115 for justification to
perform their acts of creation, but as I have just demonstrated, those
acts are prohibited by R592.  Therefore, R 115 does not apply and the
creation of the entities in question is illegal.

This argument does not address whether entities that _are_ defined by the
Rules may be created; that is an entirely seperate issue which must be
evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 96 12:53:33 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: rere:P1177-1179 results

====================================================
This is the actual result for 1177.  I mistakenly left out
a couple of votes last time.  As far as I can tell, all scores
should be zero now, so there is no gnome buddy.

==============================================================

Here are the voting results for : 1177
  Proposal 1177 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:30 EDT 1996
  A small fix for Characters that represent PartyChessPieces
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

10 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 7 points.  0 -> -7

10 YES votes:  3 point each
  Brinjal                                       0 -> 3            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                -7 -> -4           
  Bascule                FUN                    0 -> 3            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  Habeous Corpus                                0 -> 3            
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                 0 -> 3            
  Techno                 Underworld             0 -> 3            
  Wayne                  Underworld             0 -> 3            

7 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   0               
  Mellon                                      =   0               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   0               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
=================================
=================================
Here are the voting results for : 1178
  Proposal 1178 - Tue Sep 03 12:02:48 EDT 1996
  Compensating for the fact that we are a vacation club anyway
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

15 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  0 -> 10

15 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  10               
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   3               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  -4               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   3               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   3               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   3               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   3               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   3               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Mellon                                        0 -> 3            
  Bash                   Underworld             0 -> 3            

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
=================================
=================================
Here are the voting results for : 1179
  Proposal 1179 - Tue Sep 03 12:04:37 EDT 1996
  The Evolution of Cooperation
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

11 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 7 points.  10 -> 3

11 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                    0 -> 3            
  Malenkai               FUN                    3 -> 6            
  Mellon                                        3 -> 6            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                -4 -> -1           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                    3 -> 6            
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan                 3 -> 6            
  Techno                 Underworld             3 -> 6            
  Wayne                  Underworld             3 -> 6            

6 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                     =   3               
  Bash                   Underworld           =   3               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   3               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =   0               
  fnord                                       =   0               

1 PRESENT votes:
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            =   3

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  breadbox                                    

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #225
*******************************