Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #222
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Wednesday, September 11 1996     Volume 01 : Number 222

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:41:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Game variants (P1194 problems)

Niccolo--
If you frequent the variants page, you are indeed familiar with 
Schmidtberger's work.  The Camel is his invention.  So is the wildebeest 
and the game of extinction chess, if you're familiar with them, too.

Guy Fawkes

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, robert gene shimmin wrote:
> 
> > 
> > 
> > Niccolo--
> > 
> > Have you read R. Wayne Schmidtberger's "New Rules for Classic Games"?  
> > Party Chess seems to show its influence.
> > 
> > Guy Fawkes
> 
> I haven't read that specific work, but I have read quite a bit about
> new variants for classic games. Some of it was in the context of
> mathematical games columns such as Gardner's.
> 
> I am also a regular browser of the Chess Varinats home pages (there's a
> link from my home page). At least one piece I proposed, the Camel, exists
> in several other chess variants.  
> 
> Sorry to take your scoop, snowgod, Bascule, but the news should be made
> public. The Chess Variants home page now has a link to Ackanomic
> PartyChess. There is a currently the article on the chess variant server
> is still identical to the one on my web space. Should there be any
> changes, I will update my copy, Hans Bodelaender, keeps links to both and
> the PartyBoard itself.
> 
> Sorry journalists, I will make myself available for interviews to any
> ackanomic publications who will contact me.
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> 
> 
>  > 
> > 
> > 
> > On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> > > 
> > > > 
> > > >As for its similarity to Eleusis,  Niccolo did not invent Eleusis, nor did he
> > > > invent chess.  There is nothing wrong with that, and no slap against Niccolo.
> > > > Creative adaptions of either system seem perfectly reasonable, and I agree that
> > > > Eleusis, the Machine, and Party Chess can all exist as subgames.  For that
> > > > matter, we didn't invent Nomic.  Should we not play it or adapt it?
> > > 
> > > Well said. Those are both adaptations (although Party Chess includes a lot
> > > of original and creative material) and the Machine also contains some
> > > elements of existing games, although I would say that the Machine is far
> > > close to a new game than eiter of my adaptations. May I reffer all who
> > > qulams with Guy Fawkes's originality to Hofstadter's "Variation's on a
> > > Theme as the Crux of Creativity"
> > > 
> > > Niccolo Flychuck
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:44:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka : P1202 & 1203

This is indeed an ironic message.

I think the mailing list may have been working less than perfectly 
yesterday, which would account for the misdistribution of 1202 et al.  I 
know for my part, some of my postings had lags of perhaps even five hours 
before they cycled back to me.

Suggestion, if it wouldn't be too much work for /dev/joe:
Could PFMania be moved to someplace like acka-wallst?

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> >From all of the responses I've gotten, it's obviuos that some of these
> proposals didn't get distributed.  Did anyone get the proposals? 
> /dev/joe, did they get to you, are they in the archives?
> 
> ==
> I'm not sure how they could have not been sent out.  When I recieve a
> proposal, I save it in a file.  Then I edit the file by adding a
> #proposal line, and sometimes give it a title.  I also have to delete
> a .sig if there is one there. 
> Once all that is done, I run np (new proposal).  It fixes up all of the
> Proposal Headers, gives it the next number, timestamps it, then mails
> it out to the list.  If something was wrong there, I would see an error.
> 
> 
> I am going to resend 1202, 1203 and 1207.  Are there any others that I
> may have missed?
> 
> Wayne
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 10:52:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Party Gravity

This is only the beginning of the problem.  To perpetuate the scam, they 
don't have to buy more pieces -- After throwing their pieces away, UW1 
dissolves and reorganizes, and the "new" party (I think) gets to choose 
30 points worth of pieces free of charge, which can then be thrown to UW2 
all over again.

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Randy Hall wrote:

> UW1 simply, and intentionally, throws all their pieces to
> UW2, in order to give them the highest weight, and get the
> most swing votes.  This is not competetion, or cooperation,
> it is a scam.  Not the intent of Party Chess in my opinion,
> as I have stated previously, but I do admit this is peculation
> (wholly different than the claim of being a psysic, however).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:53:58 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Interactivity, again.

Given the recent bull market in PFBonds, somme of you may wish to negotiate
with me on a real-time basis.  IRCing is just way too much effort for me,
but I am a MOOer.  Telnet to moo.fly.net:7777 (IdMOO) and look up IdiotBoy
(currently going under the name of E_DIV, but always accessible under the
alias of IdiotBoy or IB).  This is not the MOO I was talking about earlier,
there are actually people on this one.  I am, however, a "wizard" on Id, as
well.  I can set you up with a character for continuity, if you so desire. 
(All at no charge to you!)

IdiotBoy
- --
Matt Miller
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 12:04:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1212

Proposal 1212 - Wed Sep 11 12:04:27 EDT 1996
#proposal
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

This Rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.

snowgod shall be replaced as president by IdiotBoy.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 12:05:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1213

Proposal 1213 - Wed Sep 11 12:05:18 EDT 1996
#proposal
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

This Rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.

Techno and Bash shall become the Justices.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:05:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 281 (snowgod)

> Call For Judgement 281
> Statement:
> The legality of a Swinger trading a SwingVote after the Round Count is
> incremented to a number that, when divided by RoundFreq, results in an
> integer, for the first time, cannot be determined with finality.

Malenkai's CFJ is based on the fact that rule 545 renders

> > The number of SwingVotes received by each Swinger= the largest integer
> > smaller than [(the Swinger's SwingScore / (RoundFreq * number of
> > Swingers)) +0.4]

as 

> > The number of SwingVotes received by each Swinger= the largest integer
> > smaller than

This statement is certainly unclear, and this CFJ falls into the category
of game custom or spirit of the game judgements.  It has been established
in past CFJ's that there is game custom that an interpretation of the
rules which does not include any paradoxes is more reasonable than one
which does include paradoxes.  I'd like to offer my interpretation, which
is that the sentence above, when stripped of all the text after the "than",
is meaningless, and thus has no effect at all.

There's a domino effect here, in that if the sentence quoted above is
meaningless, so is the one before it:

     a. When ever the Round Count is incremented to a number that, when
     divided by RoundFreq, results in an integer, SwingVotes are
     distributed according to the following scheme

I thank Malenkai for pointing out this problem in the rules, and I
suggest that the CSRR should fix it by replacing the [] brackets in
R1116 with normal parentheses.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:21:43 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Pf mania

> From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
> 'twould be ironic, wouldn't it, if IdiotBoy were to corner the market on 
> PF's, only to see them rendered practically useless by a rule change.
> 
> No threat indended, no suggestions implied, merely a musing.
> 
> Guy Fawkes.

That would be EXTREMELY ironic, since I am not even trying to corner the
market on anything.  (Guy may recall that he has actually BOUGHT PFBonds
from me)

New quote:  Buying PFGuy (50 @ $30)

Don't forget, I have those much sought after PFTechno (25 @$125).

IdiotBoy
Don't listen to the nay-sayers:  Let IdiotBoy show you the Future of the
PFBond market.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:31:34 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Disposing of the last of my PFIdiotBoy

I am offering my final PFIdiotBoy (30 @ 30PFWayne) for sale.

IdiotBoy
- --
Matt Miller
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:43:44 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Church 

Guy Fawkes has joined the Church of the Markovian Dream and has been
ordained as a priest.  Could the Postmaster please add him and Malenkai to
the list?

snowgod
forgot the password

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:43:50 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka:  IdiotBoy Marketing. 

>I have decided to expand my successful marketing campaign to include the
>.sig files of other posters to the Public Forum.  I, hereby,. offer snowgod
>A$30 for 7days of exclusive rights to advertise in eir .sig file.  snowgod
>will be required to include an advertisement for my Bond Trading and
>Investment Counselling services in all of eir messages to the Pubic Forum.
>
>
>In addition, snowgod will be required to produce said ads (a minimum of 1 ad
>per day for the length of the campaign).  Once an ad has been created for
>the day, e may use that in all eir messages that day.
>
>Send me your rate cards, if you'd like to sell that unused space at the end
>of your messages-
>IdiotBoy

I accept IdiotBoy's offer.  I will begin including ads in my .sig file as
soon as the money is transferred - Idiotboy, send me private email with the
text of your ad.

snowgod

Working for the Man
Wait, I am the Man

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:43:53 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka:  Bonds 

The current High bid for 25 PFsnow is currently A$75.

I would like to get at least A$100 for them.

snowgod
workin for the man

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
THIS SPACE AVAILABLE FOR RENT
CONTACT SNOWGOD FOR RATES
MALENKAI THIS MEANS YOU
* * * * * *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 08:43:55 -0900
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1212 

>Proposal 1212 - Wed Sep 11 12:04:27 EDT 1996
>#proposal
>Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)
>
>This Rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.
>
>snowgod shall be replaced as president by IdiotBoy.

This proposal, if passed, would have the effect of making idiot boy
president forever, since it is not self deleting text.  Furthermor, it
usurps the other rules on matters of removing officers.  However, I'm not
too worried :)

I know wayne and his party are after that silly gnome.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:45:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1194 resent (fwd)

I hope to do this right this time.  I have corrected what I believed I 
heard were the major problems.  If anyone finds any remaining flaws or 
flaws introduced by the rewrite, please inform me.

Guy Fawkes

RFC
The Machine That Goes *ping* (revisited)
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Create a new rule reading:

I. There exists the Ackanomic entity called The Machine That Goes 
*ping*, henceforth known as the Machine. {{All machines other than the 
one created by this proposal are hereby destroyed.  This proposal creates 
exactly one machine.}}  Should a machine ever be created by means other 
than this proposal, it instantly ceases to exist.  The Machine is protected.

The Machine is a product of advanced technology, covered in buttons, 
lights, and switches.  It may be from the same culture that produced 
Phoebe, and so it is of great importance that The Machine That Goes 
*ping* be studied by all of Acka.

II.  The Machine That Goes *ping* may exist only in the Home of one active 
player at any given time.  {{When this proposal passes, it shall exist in 
Xanadu.}}  Its location may be changed only by the means contained in 
this rule. 

The player in whose home the Machine resides has the duty of assisting Acka 
in its study of the Machine, and e is given the title "Scholar of *ping*" 
(hereafter, Scholar) for as long as the Machine shares his abode.  Should 
he, after losing this title, come to gain it again, his previous studies 
of the Machine shall have no effect whatsoever on his present studies.

III.  Within seven days of a player receiving this title, the Machine 
shall manifest in the Scholar's dreams and utter one truth.  This truth 
shall take the form, "IF AND ONLY IF today {if clause}, THEN the Machine 
That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."  It must be a truth the Machine has 
never uttered before.

In the Machine's truth, {if clause} will be replaced by no more than 
twelve words.  Each of these words must be in the official dictionary or 
exist in the Rules.  {if clause} shall not contain anything that is not a 
word.  This includes all forms of punctuation.  The truth must be such 
that the Machine shall not go *ping* more than once in any calendar day, 
nor remain silent for any time exceeding seven calendar days during the 
Scholar's time under that title.

Upon waking from this dream, the Scholar must announce the Machine's 
truth in a public message to all Acka, but disguise each letter of each 
word in the {if clause}, but not space characters, with *'s in order to 
preserve the sacred truth from the eyes of heretics.  E.g., the truth "IF 
AND ONLY IF today is Wednesday or Thursday, THEN the Machine That Goes 
*ping* shall go *ping*," must be announced, "IF AND ONLY IF today **
********* ** ********, THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."
If the Scholar does not announce the Machine's truth in this fashion 
within seven days of receiving his title, he is deemed to be a quack and 
the Machine randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.

IV.  Under no circumstances may the Scholar the Machine's truth 
in any method other than a public message, nor in any form other than the 
disguised one described above.  It is strictly against this rule for em 
to use any means whatsoever, other than those described in this rule, to 
communicate any information regarding the Truth to any player, so long as 
the Truth remains unknown to all players but em.

V.  Beginning with the day after the Scholar announces the Machine's 
truth, whenever the statement described by "today {if clause}" is true, 
The Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping* exactly once during that day.  
It is the duty of the Scholar to inform the rest of Acka of this occurrence.  
E must do so by posting a public message with the form, "Today is Someday, the
xth day of Month, in the Year of Our Lord YYYY, and the Machine That Goes 
*ping* Has Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone
*ping* n times."  In the actual message, Someday will replaced by the actual 
day of the week, xth will be replaced by the ordinal number of that day of 
the month, Month will be replaced by the name of the current month, YYYY 
will be replaced by the digits of the current year, and n will be the 
number of times which the Machine has gone *ping* in the time the Scholar 
has had his present title.

The scholar may and must make this announcement if and only if the Machine 
has gone *ping* that day, and e must post exactly one announcement per 
*ping* during the day in which that *ping* occurred.  The time zone used for 
the purposes of this rule is that from which the announcement was sent, 
unless Acka should ever have an official time zone, in which case this 
rule defers to that of the official time zone.

VI. If any player other than the Scholar believes he knows the Machine's 
truth, e shall announce what e believes its undisguised form to be in a 
public message.  If he is correct, the Scholar shall congratulate him, 
and  Machine shall produce one Gadget randomly selected from the 
Blueprints which both existed at the beginning of the present Scholar's 
time under that title and currently exist, which shall be awarded to the 
player who correctly guessed the Machine's truth.  The Machine shall then 
transport itself to that player's Home.

If e guesses incorrectly, the Scholar shall ridicule him in a public 
message, immune from the Politness Moon in doing so.  This takes 
precedence over Rule 400.  The ridiculed player must pay a fine of 5 A$ 
to the treasury for mocking the sacred truth, and e may not again guess 
the Machine's truth while the current Scholar holds that title.

VII.  If the Machine has gone *ping* at least six times since the last 
time this action was taken, any active player may pay 10 A$ to the 
treasury, then post a public message naming any one letter of the alphabet 
as the Magic Letter.  The Scholar must respond within three days by 
publically reposting the Machine's truth in its disguised form, but this 
time replacing any * representing the magic letter or any letter 
previously named the magic letter during the most recent period e has 
held that title with the letter(s) so represented.  

VIII.  If the Machine goes *ping* thirty times under a single Scholar, 
the Scholar must, within three days of the 30th *ping*, publically post the 
Machine's truth in its undisguised form.

When the Scholar posts the undisguised truth, any active player may, 
within the next three days, submit a CFCJ that the Scholar violated the 
rules of his duties during his time under that title.  If no player does 
so in that time, or if the returned verdict is FALSE, the Scholar 
receives 50 A$ for his services, and the Machine randomly teleports 
itself to another active player's Home.

IX.  If the Scholar is placed in Gaol or goes on vacation, the Machine 
randomly teleports itself to another player's Home.  

Should a CFCJ ever find that the current Scholar has violated any part of 
this rule, the Machine immediately randomly teleports itself to another 
player's home.

Upon losing the title of Scholar for any reason, e must publically 
announce the Truth in an undisguised form within three days, if e has not 
already done so.  If e loses it by going on vacation, e must make this 
announcement within three days of eir return.

Whenever the Machine randomly teleports itself, it is the duty of the 
Assistant Tabulator to report its new location.  If no such office 
exists, this duty falls to the Tabulator.  If neither office exists, this 
duty falls to the Speaker.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:03:58 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Repeal Party Gravity

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Randy Hall wrote:

> 
> What does this have to do with Party Gravity?  Party Gravity 
> is another scheme that gives parties votes.  As I understand
> the concept, a party can acquire up to 3 votes this way.

Which is the crux of the matter. You do not understand Party Gravity.
Under any given reading, Party Gravity gives more votes per proposal to
non-aligned players than to Parties

> I admit, also in this analysis, that the Tools rule also
> needs to be examined, but that was there apriori, before
> party gravity.  My math indicates swing votes, which cost
> noting and have no associated financial risk, would put a
> proposal in this senerio over the edge.
The Extra Vote part of Tools (if that's Malenkai's refference) was put
there partially because at the time, there was nothing else to spend money
on at the time.
At that time A$100 was a lot of money, that was before the factor 10
devlauation of the A$

 > 
> In summary, and in the absence of a logical counterargument,
> the above hopefully will be convincing enough to support
> me in repealing this potentially dangerous rule.  If not, it
> is neutered and can just take up space in the ruleset, for now.

I'd rather repeal a rule than having something take up space. And
I don't feel like writing another ammendment right now.

> 
> As for Niccolo's comments to my previous discourse on Party
> Gravity, and why it should be repealed, I did find them 
> offensive, and non-constructive in solving the problem.

Commenting on this is an experience I do not wish to repeat.

> I only ask that Niccolo read the charter of his own party,
> and consider my arguments, before such replies in the
> future.

Since Malenkai seems unwilling or unable to supply an alternative, as he
so often demands from others, I will.

Several things.

I'm tired of this discussion, and since Party Gravity is a module, the
absence of which will not affect PartyChess in the least (it was designed
to be removable and replaceable, which is a very good thing about it)

I'm going to vote to repeal it.  Not because I think it's a bad rule, but
because I've an idea which I believe to be better.

Close to the time I RFCd and proposed PartyChess, I proposed a rule suite
which failed. It was called Otzma Cards. For those players who do not
recall this, please check the propoasl archives.

It is a simple matter to dictate  higher probabilities for weaer cards,
the probabilities could depend on the maximum number of Cards per type.
Now, the most Otzma Cards, in those proposals, were actually weaker than
SwingVotes, some awarded points, some gave Votes, the most common ones,
gave specific votes. Some cards were specifically YES votes, others were
specifically NO Votes. Some rare Cards, allowed a vetoing a rule, or
impeaching an officer, those however, were very rare (introducing
probabilty would make them less than 0.5% ), and had a timed self-destruct
mechanism.

There are other actions Cards could perform, such as cause transer of
ackanomic entities from the ownership, nullifying Gadget actions. sort of
like Acknomic Magic style Cards. So there should be lots of other actions
those Cards could perform. An extra ParthChess move is an option I see.
In structure, the proposals had a lot in common with PartyChess, a rule
which describes the general entities, and lots of plug-in rules.

I'd also like to keep the restriction on the maximum number of cards that
can exist in the game at any one time, and the maximum number of cards
that can be owned by one player at any one time. Those limits seemed very
good back then.
The Vote/Card distribution formula could lose that +0.4, for an even
bigger low bias, and the current proposed fix will be included as well.

I suggest that you vote for the proposed fix even if you vote for the
repeal.  It would be a good thing just in case the repeal fails

RFC 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:02:05 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  IdiotBoy Marketing.

 From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
> >.sig files of other posters to the Public Forum.  I, hereby,. offer
snowgod
> >A$30 for 7days of exclusive rights to advertise in eir .sig file. 
snowgod
> >will be required to include an advertisement for my Bond Trading and
> >Investment Counselling services in all of eir messages to the Pubic
Forum.
> >
> >
> >In addition, snowgod will be required to produce said ads (a minimum of 1
ad
> >per day for the length of the campaign).  Once an ad has been created
for
> >the day, e may use that in all eir messages that day.
> 
> I accept IdiotBoy's offer.  I will begin including ads in my .sig file as
> soon as the money is transferred - Idiotboy, send me private email with
the
> text of your ad.
> 
> snowgod

The FInancier will please report a transfer of A$30 from IdiotBoy to
snowgod.

IdiotBoy

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 13:35:09 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1215

Proposal 1215 - Wed Sep 11 13:35:09 EDT 1996
Renaming Houses
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

This is a modest proposal.

Amend rule 839 by adding the following to the end of the first paragraph
after the list of building sizes:

  Players may rename a building they own which was created by this section
  of this rule by announcing the new name and unambiguously identifying
  the building to be renamed in a public message.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 13:35:11 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1216

Proposal 1216 - Wed Sep 11 13:35:11 EDT 1996
Preambling
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

{{[ Due to the possible confusion that "preambles" in proposals can cause,
especially if they are not bracketed like this one, I want to add to the
rules what is now game custom, that a proposal to create a new rule does
not need to state this, and limit this effect to proposals which only
create one new rule, so that in a proposal like "Jeremiah, the rather
average looking bullfrog", the preamble doesn't get written into a rule. 

I think this is a reasonable limitation; there's another limit implicit
in what I've written below, which I think is required, to ensure that a
whole proposal which has other effects can't be interpreted as creation
of a new rule which has those effects.  Due to this limit, a proposal
to create one new rule which somehow deals with amending (etc.) rules
will have to explicitly state that it is creating a new rule. ]}}

1. Amend Rule 491, "What Is A Rule Change?", change

 "Otherwise, the rule change is invalid."

to:

 "If an accepted proposal does not refer to amending, repealing,
  transmuting, or creating rules, then it is treated a valid rule change
  to create a new mutable rule with the entire body of the proposal as
  its text; this implicit creation of a new rule is only applied in the
  case defined in this sentence.  Rule changes not defined as valid by the
  rules are invalid."

2. Repeal all rules whose text differs only in spacing, punctuation, and/or
capitalization from "This is a modest proposal".

3. The six lines between the next two quote marks is Section A.

"
Reasoning:

The framers of rule 629 intended to allow the Report of the Convention to
be accepted under circumstances other than an EXACT 7/8 to 1/8 vote.  This
Rule Change would allow unanimous, and >7/8, acceptance to permit the
Report of the Convention to be accepted.
"

Repeal all rules whose entire text is Section A.

Delete Section A wherever it appears within Rule 629.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 13:38:28 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1217

Proposal 1217 - Wed Sep 11 13:38:28 EDT 1996
The Payoff
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

This is a Modest proposal.

Each member of Underworld shall have 30 points added to thier score
every Monday at 9:37 AM EST.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:45:35 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: PFsnow

I offer A$100 for 25 PFsnow.

IdiotBoy
- --
Matt Miller
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 13:51:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1218

Proposal 1218 - Wed Sep 11 13:51:02 EDT 1996
Scroll of Money
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

There shall be a protected entity call the Scroll of Money.  This scroll
will list the names of the players who voted for the proposal that
created this rule.  The scroll will exist unchanged until this Rule
is modified or repealed.

On the first Friday of every month, A$400 will be transfered from the
Treasury to each player who has thier name on the Scroll of Money.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:22:24 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: Whamiol

On Wed, 11 Sep,  IdiotBoy wrote:

>It is the belief of those who reside in FunkyTown, that the Whamiol has
just
>about worn out its ability to produce good returns.  IdiotBoy is willing
to
>take said Gadget off the hands of HC.
  
Thanks,  but no thanks at this time.  Even if it has run its course for
the time being,  I am hoping to export it to one of the Internomic
Players for a handsome profit to Ackanomic.

Habeous Corpus - feeling altruistic (after making a ton off the Gadget)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:16:21 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1212

I think this rule could be repealed, if it did happen to pass.

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >Proposal 1212 - Wed Sep 11 12:04:27 EDT 1996
> >#proposal
> >Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)
> >
> >This Rule takes precedence over all mutable rules.
> >
> >snowgod shall be replaced as president by IdiotBoy.
> 
> This proposal, if passed, would have the effect of making idiot boy
> president forever, since it is not self deleting text.  Furthermor, it
> usurps the other rules on matters of removing officers.  However, I'm not
> too worried :)
> 
> I know wayne and his party are after that silly gnome.
> 
> snowgod
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 14:18:42 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1219

Proposal 1219 - Wed Sep 11 14:18:42 EDT 1996
Time Zone
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

The official time of Ackanomia shall be Central US (UTC -0600).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 14:23:12 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1180 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1180
  Proposal 1180 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:15 EDT 1996
  National Geographic
  IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

12 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

IdiotBoy loses 7 points.  0 -> -7

12 YES votes:  3 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                    6 -> 9            
  Mellon                                        6 -> 9            
  Brinjal                                       3 -> 6            
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                    6 -> 9            
  snowgod                (None Yet)             0 -> 3            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             3 -> 6            
  Habeous Corpus                                3 -> 6            
  Guy Fawkes                                   -2 -> 1            
  Techno                 Underworld             6 -> 9            
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            -7 -> -4           
  Wayne                  Underworld             6 -> 9            

7 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  -1               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bash                   Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 14:24:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1181 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1181
  Proposal 1181 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:30 EDT 1996
  Appealing Penalties
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

16 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 10 points.  9 -> 19

16 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   3               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  19               
  Brinjal                                     =   6               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  -1               
  Bascule                FUN                  =   9               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   3               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   6               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   6               
  Guy Fawkes                                  =   1               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   9               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   9               

3 NO votes:  3 points each
  Mellon                                        9 -> 12           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld            -4 -> -1           

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bash                   Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1181 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:30 EDT 1996
Appealing Penalties
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 710 to add the following section at the end of the current text:

      8c) If a TRUE verdict is upheld on an appeal, the appellate court
or judge may impose a penalty different from the previously imposed 
penalty.  If such an appeal verdict is delivered during the grace period,
the new penalty is imposed at the end of that grace period instead of the
original one (ie, the grace period is not adjusted).  If the appeal verdict 
is delivered after the grace period ended (previous penalty already
imposed), then the appropriate transactions are performed to adjust the
penalty.  In this case, if either penalty involved a SENTENCE in the Gaol,
then the difference is tacked on or subtracted from player X's current
sentence.  If the result is non-positive, player X is released from the
Gaol if they are there.  If the result is positive, and player X is not
in Gaol, they are placed there immediately.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 14:25:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1220

Proposal 1220 - Wed Sep 11 14:25:02 EDT 1996
Inflation
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 566 by changing "A$100" to "A$250", and adding the following to
the end of the rule:

  When a proposal is retracted, the treasury returns all A$ paid to it for
  the purpose of buying votes by this rule to the players who paid those A$.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:25:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1217

If, as snowgod believes, these propsals are part of a gnome hunt, then 
why is this one modest?  While UW may laugh at what I'm about to say, 
this is a coup attempt! 

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1217 - Wed Sep 11 13:38:28 EDT 1996
> The Payoff
> Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)
> 
> This is a Modest proposal.
> 
> Each member of Underworld shall have 30 points added to thier score
> every Monday at 9:37 AM EST.
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 14:25:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1182 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1182
  Proposal 1182 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:41 EDT 1996
  Fixing up the Gaol rule even more
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 16 players cast votes

12 YES votes   5 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  6 -> 16

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  19               
  Brinjal                                     =   6               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   6               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  -1               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   6               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  16               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   9               
  IdiotBoy               Underworld           =  -1               
  fnord                                       =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   9               

5 NO votes:  3 points each
  Mellon                                       12 -> 15           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)             3 -> 6            
  Habeous Corpus                                6 -> 9            
  Guy Fawkes                                    1 -> 4            

1 PRESENT votes:
  Bascule                FUN                   =   9

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Bash                   Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Pascal                                      
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Tim                                         

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1182 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:41 EDT 1996
Fixing up the Gaol rule even more
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 709, "Gaol", as follows:

1. Add this paragraph after paragraph which says that players in Gaol do not
   count for determining quorum:

Players in the Gaol may not be selected to judge CFJ's, to be mentors,
to find Phoebe's Matchbox, or to be Mad Hatters.  If a player has been
selected to judge a CFJ and has not yet accepted or declined the
appointment when e enters the Gaol, e is considered to have declined
the appointment as judge.

{{[There is already a blanket precedence clause, but some precedence stuff
in the rule needs to be fixed up a bit... part of this rule might be a
CFJ256-style paradox, but that loophole is due to be closed any day now by
proposal 1160 -- not necessarily in the way we want for this rule, though.
The last paragraph gives the rule global precedence, but the section
with the list of Gaolbirds' rights globally defers. ]}}

2. Delete these sentences wherever they appear in the rule:

  'This takes precedence over Rule 201 "Quorum".'

  'This rule has precedence over any other mutable rule which
   conflicts in whole or in part, with any of its provisions.'

3. Add this paragraph at the beginning of the rule:

This rule has precedence over all other mutable rules, except where
this rule explicitly defers to other rules.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #222
*******************************