Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #213
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Sunday, September 8 1996       Volume 01 : Number 213

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 00:38:02 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gaol 

Today at 19:37 EDT I will leave the Gaol.

At that time I will change the name of my house to "snowgod's beach cottage"

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:47:07 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Guy Fawkes to mentor

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, robert gene shimmin wrote:

> Niccolo--
> 	What exactly is the game effect of an UNDECIDED verdict?  Does 
> Judgment continue with another Judge, or does the statement remain 
> unresolved?
> 
> Guy Fawkes
>
When a CFJis returned Undecided it returns to the CotC, and he appoints
another Judge. Judges who returned undecided are no longer elgibile to
Judge on the same CFJ.

If there are no more eligible Judges for a CFJ, then all the players who
were originally elgibile for a CFJ become eligible again.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:50:59 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: new player in the game

observer Michael J. Thomas has decided to become a player
his e-mail is [email-masked]
he has chosed the Ackanomic name fnord.

I've still got one player in the volunteer mentor pool, tinan, but he is
going to be reading e-mail sporadically for the next week, and I think
this will be unfair on both tinan and fnord.  So I need someone to
volunteer to be a mentor for fnord. 
If nobody volunteers, the rules allow me to appoint someone.

We welcome fnord to Ackanomic

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:55:16 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PF Bonds

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> I objected to party gravity, and object to any more rewards based on
> skill at Party Chess or being in a party.  Score improvement is a
> simple, generic, measure of game skill, and should be the basis for this,
> IMHO.  Party Chess is a very specific skill, and should not be used as a
> generic basis.
> 
> Malenkai
> 
The current version of Party Gravity is not an integral part of
PartyChess. If you have another idea for effects of Party Gravity, propose
it.  We could always give out Otzma Cards instead of SwingVotes :)

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 10:56:39 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: new player in the game

> observer Michael J. Thomas has decided to become a player
> his e-mail is [email-masked]
> he has chosed the Ackanomic name fnord.
> 
> 
> I've still got one player in the volunteer mentor pool, tinan, but he is
> going to be reading e-mail sporadically for the next week, and I think
> this will be unfair on both tinan and fnord.  So I need someone to
> volunteer to be a mentor for fnord. 
> If nobody volunteers, the rules allow me to appoint someone.
> 
> 
> We welcome fnord to Ackanomic
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> Registrar

I'm on vacation, I don't have time to play chess (sorry!)
but I do have time to ment.

I volunteer as mentor for fnord

Bascule

 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 13:04:23 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bascule mentor for fnord

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Bascule wrote:

> 
> I'm on vacation, I don't have time to play chess (sorry!)
> but I do have time to ment.
> 
> I volunteer as mentor for fnord
> 
> Bascule

If this is legal, then it's fine with me. 

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 15:41:03 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 275 Verdict

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> As for specific reasons, being in a political party has very little to
> do with playing chess.  There is nothing wrong with that, its just MHO

PartyChess was created specifically as a mechanism of inter-party
relations.

> *want* to play chess, thats fine, but such a group should not be forced
> to.  Imagine a political party forming with an adjenda to eliminate party
> chess.  That would be ironic :)
It would be ironic, but then nomic is self-modifying, and there is no
reason for nomic structures and entities no to have some potentially self
modifying features as well.

> I guess it comes down to the fact that I believe in free action and
> voluntary action, rather than forced action.  As it stands now, when you
> join Acka, you *must* be represented by someone who plays chess, and the
> performance of your representative, and thus to some extent, your entire
> group, at a very *specialized* game, dictates your standings in a *generic*
> way (party gravity).  I personally dislike that.
IMO, nomic is partly about experimenting with different structures and
various interactions. If we had more Churches, I might have suggested
something entirely different that would allow Churhces to interact on a
peer level, that would somehow allow Church members to benefit from their
membership in a Church. Only I don't suppose that such an entity ( a
Synod?) would include a non-Church representative. 
so joining acka one would have a choice of being a member of no
organization,being a member of one type of organizatin, of two types of
organizations, and each of those different would change the kind of
representation that player has on one of those higher levels.
that's really an idea for a bigger nomic, or for some cross-nomic
interaction.  

 > 
> I am obviously in the minority, as this situation was voted in by 2/3
> of Acka.  I must point out, however, that this does not justify its 
> existance, contrary to what has been previously pointed out.  For example,
I was just curious about the timing. It appeared to me that you thought
that my recent proposal made it obligatory to play Party Chess, and I
wanted to point out that this was an existing situation. I also wondered
why you did not publically post this before, since you are usually not one
to keep silent about your opinions - at least I don't recall seeing this
kind of objection before.  

 > 
> I do agree with you on one point, and that is that the issue of forced
> party chess participation should be decoupled from the fixes for party
> chess.

and seperate as well from the Law of Party Gravity.
One of the reasons for proposing the Law of Party Gravity as a seperate
rule was to make it easier to change without changing Party Chess itself,
or alternatively, change PartyChess, perhaps change it to an entirely
different activity, without changing the Law of Party Gravity. 
I feel that there should be _A_ Law of Party Gravity, it does not
necessarily need to be the one we have now. I proposed it, first, because
it has some appeal for me, second, to fill a niche in the inter-Party
construct

Niccolo Flychuck

 > 
> Malenkai
> wasting bandwidth galore (more on that later)
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 15:43:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Bandwidth

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> This is an ironic message.
> 
> How are we doing on e-mail usage?  I lose touch because I am on-line
> so much, but I just wanted to make sure we are not overdoing it again,
> especially when alot of it is me, and we have solutions.
> 
> If the volume of e-mailis too high, I can make the following suggestions:
> 
> 1) move all discussions of party chess to acka-chess
The anouncement of the begining of the game was made on both lists, other
than that the game will be run on acka-chess. It is also a good place for
discussions, since the people discussing the issue are usually those
interested in the game, and are spectators as well.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 10:45:08 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 275 Verdict

Uri Bruck wrote:

> I was just curious about the timing. It appeared to me that you thought
> that my recent proposal made it obligatory to play Party Chess, and I
> wanted to point out that this was an existing situation. I also wondered
> why you did not publically post this before, since you are usually not one
> to keep silent about your opinions - at least I don't recall seeing this
> kind of objection before.

If I talked about everything I have opinions about, /dev/joe would have
to invest in some 9 GB RAID units :)

As for the timing, Party Chess is the topic du jour.  As for why I was not
vocal about Party Gravity at the time, I was trying to win the cycle when
it was in the queue, and all of my voting strategies for a couple of weeks
hinged on manipulating my score to hit the magic number.  Perhaps not
a justifiable reason for support or lack of support of proposals, although
I did vote no, so I preserved my right to dislike it.  

I recommend moving any further discussion in this thread to acka-chess,
and those interested can subscribe to that list.  The web page has a 
well-done guide to how to use the majordomo server, if players are
unfamiliar with majordomo.  I forget if players are automatically
subscribed to all lists when they join, or if the Registrar's material
contains details  about the majordomo server and the lists.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 09:55:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Guy Fawkes to mentor

What is the "Malenkai's Loophole" that P1193 is supposed to fix?

Guy Fawkes

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 11:09:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Guy Fawkes to mentor

Uri Bruck wrote:

> When a CFJis returned Undecided it returns to the CotC, and he appoints
> another Judge. Judges who returned undecided are no longer elgibile to
> Judge on the same CFJ.

I do not believe this is accurate.  An UNDECIDED verdict is recorded,
and stays, just like a TRUE or FALSE, until such time as it is appealed.
I believe in the very early days (qv CFJ 135, 142), the above was TRUE,
but it no longer is (qv CFJ 205, 207).  If I'm wrong, please correct me.
 
> If there are no more eligible Judges for a CFJ, then all the players who
> were originally elgibile for a CFJ become eligible again.

I do not believe this interpretion is explicit enough to state it
definitively.  In fact, P 1172 (still under consideration, vote YES), would
make the above statement true.

Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 11:40:53 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bascule mentor for fnord

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Bascule wrote:
> 
> >
> > I'm on vacation, I don't have time to play chess (sorry!)
> > but I do have time to ment.
> >
> > I volunteer as mentor for fnord
> >
> > Bascule
> 
> If this is legal, then it's fine with me.

This play is not legal, and as much as I'd like to let is pass, I cannot.
There is just something about Nomic that *compells* you to follow the
rules, regardless of the situation, that is what makes it cool sometimes.

There is one piece of information I do not have, and that is: Who is the
mentor for Bash, or hid e decline?

The legal possibilites, it would appear, would be snowgod or tinan.  If
it is tinan, you must select someone from the general population for fnord. 

If it is snowgod, you have 3 days to select tinan for fnord, or wait for
Bascule to come off of vacation, or for someone else to come into the
pool, etc.

If tinan cannot perform the duties, he should take himself out of the pool,
or place himself on vacation, but is not required to do so.

If it makes any of this easier, I shall volunteer to be in the pool, but
you still must make a *random* selection.  Sorry.

In other news, the Whamiol k'chings again.  Also, could the Registrar
annouce when mentorships *end*, because the Financier needs to update the
A$25 salary.

Malenkai
in the mentor pool

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 07:58:37 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: new player in the game 

>observer Michael J. Thomas has decided to become a player
>his e-mail is [email-masked]
>he has chosed the Ackanomic name fnord.
>
>
>I've still got one player in the volunteer mentor pool, tinan, but he is
>going to be reading e-mail sporadically for the next week, and I think
>this will be unfair on both tinan and fnord.  So I need someone to
>volunteer to be a mentor for fnord.
>If nobody volunteers, the rules allow me to appoint someone.
>

I have returned from vacation (in case you missed it) and am willing to
mentor fnord.

snowgod

BTW - Welcom fnord, and all the new players!

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 19:10:04 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Malenkai mentor for fnord

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> > 
> > On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Bascule wrote:
> > 
> > >
> > > I'm on vacation, I don't have time to play chess (sorry!)
> > > but I do have time to ment.
> > >
> > > I volunteer as mentor for fnord
> > >
> > > Bascule
> > 
> > If this is legal, then it's fine with me.
> 
> This play is not legal, and as much as I'd like to let is pass, I cannot.
> There is just something about Nomic that *compells* you to follow the
> rules, regardless of the situation, that is what makes it cool sometimes.

I was uncertain about this one, but the mentors rule does dictate random
selection, and Bascule is on vacation and cannot be randomally selected. 
I'd like to thank Bascule anyway.
Strictly speaking my message did not actually appoint Bascule, since it
clearly said - _if_ this is legal.

> 
> There is one piece of information I do not have, and that is: Who is the
> mentor for Bash, or hid e decline?

I checked my back mail, and tinan accepted the appointment and accepted. I
had neglected to update the menotrs web page, so tinan could not have
mentor for fnord anyway.

 > 
> The legal possibilites, it would appear, would be snowgod or tinan.  If
> it is tinan, you must select someone from the general population for fnord. 
> 
> If tinan cannot perform the duties, he should take himself out of the pool,
> or place himself on vacation, but is not required to do so.
He is currently a mentor, so I must assume that he can perform his duties.

> 
> Malenkai
> in the mentor pool

Currently there is one elibile player in the volunteer pool to be selected
as mentor. As long as there eligible players in the volunteer pool I must
make a random selection from the pool.

snowgon still has a few hours in Gaol, tinan is already mentoring, so am
I, and Bascule is on vacation.

Therefore, Malenkai has been randomally selected to be mentor for fnord.

Niccolo Flychuck 
Registrar

 > 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 19:11:39 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: new player in the game

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> 
> I have returned from vacation (in case you missed it) and am willing to
> mentor fnord.

Thanks, meanwhile I've got Malenaki for the job, you'll probably get the
next one. Anyway, according to my calcaulations, you've stillgot a few
hours in Gaol.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 12:19:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Mentor

Even though the rules don't require it, it seems to be game custom
that mentors publically post that they accept, so I accept.

So, fnord, you can ask me questions.  Welcome to the game.

Of course, anyone can ask me questions, but they will be answered with
political bias :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 10:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Michael J. Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mentor

Malenkai spake thusly
> 
> So, fnord, you can ask me questions.  Welcome to the game.

Excellent.  I've got a list, already, but I'll send those 
privately later, as soon as I determine your e-mail address.

Thank you for your welcome.  I've been watching the game for
a while and think I may finally have the hang of it.

fnord

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 96 15:18:03 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1194

Proposal 1194 - Sat Sep 07 15:18:03 EDT 1996
The Machine That Goes *ping*
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

I. There exists the Ackanomic entity called The Machine That Goes 
*ping*, henceforth known as the Machine.  There is only one Machine at 
any time; if more than one Machine exists, the most recently created one 
is destroyed until only one Machine exists.  The Machine is protected.

The Machine is a product of advanced technology, covered in buttons, 
lights, and switches.  It may be from the same culture that produced 
Phoebe, and so it is of great importance that The Machine That Goes 
*ping* be studied by all of Acka.

II.  The Machine That Goes *ping* may exist only in the Home of one active 
player.  {{When this proposal passes, it shall exist in Xanadu.}}  The 
player in whose home the Machine resides has the duty of assisting Acka 
in its study of the Machine, and e is given the title "Scholar of *ping*" 
(hereafter, Scholar) for as long as the Machine shares his abode.

III.  Within seven days of a player receiving this title, the Machine 
shall manifest in the Scholar's dreams and utter one truth.  This truth 
shall take the form, "IF AND ONLY IF today {if clause}, THEN the Machine 
That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."

In the Machine's truth, {if clause} will be replaced by no more than 
twelve words.  Each of these words must be in the official dictionary or 
exist in the Rules.  {if clause} shall not contain anything that is not a 
word.

Upon waking from this dream, the Scholar must announce the Machine's 
truth in a public message to all Acka, but disguise each letter of each 
word in the {if clause}, but not space characters, with *'s in order to 
preserve the sacred truth from the eyes of heretics.  E.g., the truth "IF 
AND ONLY IF today is Wednesday or Thursday, THEN the Machine That Goes 
*ping* shall go *ping*," must be announced, "IF AND ONLY IF today **
********* ** ********, THEN the Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*."
If the Scholar does not announce the Machine's truth in this fashion 
within seven days of receiving his title, he is deemed to be a quack and 
the Machine randomly teleports itself to another active player's Home.

IV.  Under no circumstances may the Scholar announce the Machine's truth 
in any method other than a public message, nor in any form other than the 
disguised one described above.

V.  Beginning with the day after the Scholar announces the Machine's 
truth, whenever the statement described by "today {if clause}" is true, 
The Machine That Goes *ping* shall go *ping*.  It is the duty of the 
Scholar to inform the rest of Acka of this occurrence.  E must do so by 
posting a public message with the form, "Today is Someday, the xth day of 
Month, in the Year of Our Lord YYYY, and the Machine That Goes *ping* Has 
Gone *ping* today.  Since I have been scholar, the Machine has gone *ping* n 
times."  In the actual message, Someday will replaced by the actual day 
of the week, xth will be replaced by the ordinal number of that day of 
the month, Month will be replaced by the name of the current month, YYYY 
will be replaced by the digits of the current year, and n will be the 
number of times which the Machine has gone *ping* in the time the Scholar 
has had his present title.

Once a Scholar has announced the Machine's truth, the Machine shall go 
*ping* no more than once a day, nor shall it not go *ping* for seven 
consecutive days.  The scholar must never lie concerning *ping*'s.

VI. If any player other than the Scholar believes he knows the Machine's 
truth, e shall announce what e believes its undisguised form to be in a 
public message.  If he is correct, the Scholar shall congratulate him, 
and the Machine shall produce one Gadget randomly selected from the 
existing Blueprints, which shall be awarded to the player who correctly 
guessed the Machine's truth.  The Machine shall then transport itself to 
that player's Home.

If e guesses incorrectly, the Scholar shall ridicule him in a public 
message, immune from the Politness Moon in doing so.  This takes 
precedence over Rule 400.  The ridiculed player must pay a fine of 5 A$ 
to the treasury for mocking the sacred truth, and e may not again guess 
the Machine's truth while the current Scholar holds that title.

If the Scholar does not either congratulate or ridicule the player
who guessed within three days, e is deemed a quack, must pay a 25 A$ fine, 
and the Machine randomly teleports itself to another player's Home.

VII.  If the Machine has gone *ping* at least six times since the last 
time this action was taken, any active player may pay 10 A$ to the 
treasury, then post a public message naming any one letter of the alphabet 
as the Magic Letter.  The Scholar must respond within three days by 
publically reposting the Machine's truth in its disguised form, but this 
time replacing any * representing the magic letter or any letter 
previously named the magic letter with the letter(s) so represented.  
Failure to do so will be treated as if the Scholar had failed to respond 
to a guess.

VIII.  If the Machine goes *ping* thirty times under a single Scholar, 
the Scholar must, within three days of the 30th *ping*, publically post the 
Machine's truth in its undisguised form.  Failure to do so will be 
treated as if Scholar had failed to respond to a guess.

When the Scholar posts the undisguised truth, any active player may, 
within the next three days, submit a CFCJ that the Scholar violated the 
rules of his duties during his time under that title.  If no player does 
so in that time, or if the returned verdict is FALSE, the Scholar 
receives 50 A$ for his services, and the Machine randomly teleports 
itself to another active player's Home.  If the returned verdict is TRUE,  
then in addition to a sentence, it is treated as if the Scholar had 
failed to respond to a guess.

IX.  If the Scholar is placed in Gaol, he may continue to report the 
occurrence of a *ping*.  This takes precedence over Rule 709.  If the 
Scholar leaves the game or is placed on vacation, the Machine randomly 
teleports itself to another active player's Home.

Whenever the Machine randomly teleports itself, it is the duty of the 
Assistant Tabulator to report its new location.  If no such office 
exists, this duty falls to the Tabulator.  If neither office exists, this 
duty falls to the Speaker.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 15:45:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1194

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1194 - Sat Sep 07 15:18:03 EDT 1996
> The Machine That Goes *ping*
> Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

This is an excellent proposal.  Vote YES.  I am also declaring it Harfy,
as it is at least on the fringes of being Harfy; its fun and creative.
I was just about to declare a bounty for someone taking the Harfmeister
title.

There is one minor flaw, which should not doom it, in fact, it should
enhance it:

> IX.  If the Scholar is placed in Gaol, he may continue to report the
> occurrence of a *ping*.  This takes precedence over Rule 709. 

The precedence claim over R 709 will not work.  Mabye the new security is
too good for the Gaol.  I like the idea.  If the Machine is in the Scholar's
home, and the Scholar is elsewhere, it reasons that he or she could not
report on the *ping*.  In any case, this can be fixed by amending R 709
once this passes.  You must amend R 709 every time you wish
it to defer in cases like this.

Malenkai
Harfmeister

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 02:11:11 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1191

On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1191 - Fri Sep 06 22:21:30 EDT 1996
> Power to the pieces!
> Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)
> 
> Amend Rule 990, section 4 to include this after clause B:
> 
> "C. There may be pieces whose capturing moves differ from their non-capturing 
> moves.  This rule defers to all PartyChessPieceDef rules which provide moves 
> for such pieces.  Such captures otherwise proceed as defined above."
> 
> 
> 
> 
How is this not taken care of by section 3 C of said rule ?
 
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 02:22:53 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Party Hall party

I just sent out some greetings to all Swingers, all by private e-mail, but
they may all be qouted in public.

Niccolo Flychuck
Vulcan Swinger

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 02:26:17 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 275 Verdict - cont, in acka-chess

as malenkai suggested, I sent my full reply to acka-chess.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 14:16:25 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Brinjal returns from vacation

I hereby return from vacation. Took a day longer than expected to
get back online:) That means an extra days worth of email to
catch up on. Oh well. 

Brinjal.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 02:43:42 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Registrar - Brinjal returns from Vacation

Brinjal has returned from Vacation, which means Robin Hood is no longer
acting Swinger.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 19:45:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Brinjal returns from vacation

Simon Clarke wrote:
> 
> I hereby return from vacation. Took a day longer than expected to
> get back online:) That means an extra days worth of email to
> catch up on. Oh well.

I also means that we get to hear some more of your excellent poetry,
instead of ThinMan's (not to say that his wouldn't be as well), if
Party Hall Party is not complied with.

After your last one, I almost proposed eliminating that rule, just to 
let it stand.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 18:55:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: robert gene shimmin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1191

Niccolo's objection does take care of the difficulties I forsaw in using 
the CopyCat and Pawn.  Il-Nabi, however is another matter.

R 990, 3C currently reads, "A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define means 
different from those defined in this rule by which the defined piece may 
capture opponents' pieces.  If it does, then this rule defers to that 
PartyChessPieceDef rule with regard to capturing."

The rule which defines il-Nabi, however, does not define means different 
from those defined... by which the defined piece may capture opponents' 
pieces.  It defines means differen... by which the defined piece may NOT 
capture opponent's pieces.  A semantic technicality, surely, but an 
important one.  Since il-Nabi's PCPD rule does not qualify for deferment 
under R990, numerical precedent must be applied and R990 wins, making 
il-Nabi an artificially powerful piece.

If you like, I will submit a CFJ on the matter.

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > Proposal 1191 - Fri Sep 06 22:21:30 EDT 1996
> > Power to the pieces!
> > Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)
> > 
> > Amend Rule 990, section 4 to include this after clause B:
> > 
> > "C. There may be pieces whose capturing moves differ from their non-capturing 
> > moves.  This rule defers to all PartyChessPieceDef rules which provide moves 
> > for such pieces.  Such captures otherwise proceed as defined above."
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> How is this not taken care of by section 3 C of said rule ?
>  
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 03:01:43 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1191

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, robert gene shimmin wrote:

> 
> Niccolo's objection does take care of the difficulties I forsaw in using 
> the CopyCat and Pawn.  Il-Nabi, however is another matter.
> 
> R 990, 3C currently reads, "A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define means 
> different from those defined in this rule by which the defined piece may 
> capture opponents' pieces.  If it does, then this rule defers to that 
> PartyChessPieceDef rule with regard to capturing."
> 
> The rule which defines il-Nabi, however, does not define means different 
> from those defined... by which the defined piece may capture opponents' 
> pieces.  It defines means differen... by which the defined piece may NOT 
> capture opponent's pieces.  A semantic technicality, surely, but an 
> important one.  Since il-Nabi's PCPD rule does not qualifyfor deferment 
> under R990, numerical precedent must be applied and R990 wins, making 
> il-Nabi an artificially powerful piece.
> 
> If you like, I will submit a CFJ on the matter.

You've made a good case for your proposal. I'd rather see this resolbved
by an ammedment that strengthens the intended effect of the rule, than by
CFJ - you've got my vote

Niccolo Flychuck
Chess-Umpire

 > 
> On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > 
> > 
> > On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 [email-masked] wrote:
> > 
> > > Proposal 1191 - Fri Sep 06 22:21:30 EDT 1996
> > > Power to the pieces!
> > > Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)
> > > 
> > > Amend Rule 990, section 4 to include this after clause B:
> > > 
> > > "C. There may be pieceswhose capturing moves differ from their non-capturing 
> > > moves.  This rule defers to all PartyChessPieceDef rules which provide moves 
> > > for such pieces.  Such captures otherwise proceed as defined above."
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > How is this nottaken care of by section 3 C of said rule ?
> >  
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> > 
> > 
> > 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 18:10:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Raiter <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bascule mentor for fnord

> Also, could the Registrar annouce when mentorships *end*, because
> the Financier needs to update the A$25 salary.

Speaking of which, I want to make sure that it is noted that Bascule's
mentorship of myself ended last week.

breadbox

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 17:43:32 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1194 

>>Proposal 1194 - Sat Sep 07 15:18:03 EDT 1996
>>The Machine That Goes *ping*
>>Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)
>>

I really, REALLY, like this proposal.  It adds many things to the game
including possibilities for a postive cash flow, a new fun sub-game
(guessing), and some much needed sillyness.

Besides that it is well written (especially for a first proposal) and just
plain fun!

snowgod
president

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 18:04:22 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: House 

I am renaming my house snowgod's beach cottage .

snowgod
out of gaol

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 00:18:42 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: House

Phil Ackley wrote:

> snowgod
> out of gaol

Put him back! :)  Welcome back :)

Not necessarily in that order.

Malenkai
Vote yes to kill R 691

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 96 0:25:17 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1195

Proposal 1195 - Sun Sep 08 00:25:16 EDT 1996
Fixing Malenkai's Loophole for Titles
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Place the following amendment at the end of R609

(viii)  A player is forbidden to acquire any title or office unless the rules
explicitly allow em to do so.

{{[As long as P1193 is up for approval, why fix it only halfway?]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Sep 96 0:25:28 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1196

Proposal 1196 - Sun Sep 08 00:25:27 EDT 1996
Leash the Hounds of Hell!
Guy Fawkes  (Robert Shimmin)

Amend R622 to read in full:

A message is a public message if and only if it is distributed to all 
registered Players who subscribe to the official mailing list, and the 
subject line contains either "Ackanomic:" or "Acka:"

{{[Often, vacationing players unsubscribe from the official mailing list, 
and this is certainly allowed by R832.  However, since they are still 
registered players, the current R622 demands public messages be sent to 
them anyway.  Unable to work this into a paradox win (R622 has 
precedence), I briefly considered using this truth as grounds for a 
mass-impeachment since it almost certainly means most of the officials 
required to send public messages have been violating the "Speed" rule for 
the better part of the summer.  However, I then started to look at all 
the mentions of public messages in the rules, and I realized sticking 
this loophole to it could very well unleash the hounds of hell and crash the 
game, so I'm just trying to quietly fix it.]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #213
*******************************