Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #210
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Friday, September 6 1996       Volume 01 : Number 210

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 22:46:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: RFC Games & Contests

robert gene shimmin wrote:
 
> Imagine game rules for AckaJacks (if a player fails to catch the
> Big Red Bouncy Ball, and it is the third Tuesday of the month, then the
> Big Red Bouncy Ball escapes this game and begins bouncing through the
> streets of AckaNomia, causing damage as follows to a random 3 buildings,

Or better yet, imagine said ball bouncing though the ruleset repealing
random rules :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 1996 22:56:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 278 (breadbox)

breadbox has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 278
  Subject: Bothered by bugs
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: breadbox (selected Sep 05, 1996, 22:58h New York Time)

Statement:

Each and every time Phoebe's matchbox is missing, and there is no officer
in charge of random things, the Registrar must indicate that he or she
cannot be bothered to determine who found it for the Registrar to be
relieved of the duty.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

The other reading of R 730 is that once the Registrar indicates that
he or she cannot be bothered, such is assumed without action required
on the part of the Registrar each time.

I believe the reading in the statement of this CFJ is more accurate than
the above, but don't really care (my 30 sided die has been working 
pretty well lately).  I do want to follow the rules though.

------------------------------

Date: Thu Sep  5 23:19:43 1996 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Interactivity

This mail sent from Id as a test by IdiotBoy.  Thanks for your patience.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 23:44:29 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acka: PFBonds

Malenkai spoke:
][email-masked] wrote:
]> 
]> I've been thinking about the PFBonds.  As Malenkai stated, it allows
]> a player to speculate on the change in score of another player.  But
]> there is no speculation if everyone keeps thier own bonds.
]
]That is true.  The thing I like about PFBonds are that they offer 
]incentive for score improvement.  Not much else in the game does.  If
]you change PFBonds, I would still like to retain something that offers
]incentive for personal score improvement.
]
]Malenkai
]

I agree that there should be an incentive for increasing your score, other
that winning the game.  But I feel the process of the PFBonds is way more
complicated than it should be.

I suggest the following alternative.  Scrap the PFBonds.  Then weekly or
bi-weekly, give everyone money based on thier current score.  Maybe the
amount should be score/10.  This way players with a negative score would
owe money and those with higher scores would be rewarded more.  Maybe
the financeer would like to comment on this?

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 23:54:20 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1186

Proposal 1186 - Thu Sep 05 23:54:20 EDT 1996
C'mon
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 457, "Vacationing", to make the following changes:

1) Replace the second paragraph so that it reads:

      A player should specify the expected duration of their vacation. If
the duration is not specified when they go on vacation, it is assumed to
be 14 days. If the period specified is longer than 30 days, it is assumed,
and recorded, as 30 days. If the period specified is shorter than 2 days,
it is assumed, and recorded, as 2 days. It is a duty of the Registrar to
keep a record of the expected duration of vacationing players. 

2) Replace the fifth paragraph so that it reads:

      The only thing a player on vacation may legally do is take himself
off vacation, or perform any action permitted by an Immutable Rule.  A 
player shall take himself off vacation by declaring to the public forum
that he is back from his vacation. As soon as the player makes this public
declaration, he shall no longer be considered on vacation. The one
exception is that a player who has been on vacation less than 2 days may
not take themselves off vacation.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 19:54:23 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: My House 

I am renaming my house "snowgod's beach cottage".

I have also hired a crew of ackazens to add a periscope and a parabolic
microphone to the roof of my house, so that I may always be aware of what
is going on outside, even when I am indside.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 23:54:37 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1187

Proposal 1187 - Thu Sep 05 23:54:37 EDT 1996
Couldn't Quite Find the Paradox CFJ
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[I believe Techno is still a swinger, even though the Underworld party
is defunct.  The clause I replace in 1) below makes this so, because it
has precedence due to the CFJ 256 fix.  This was why I was spooked by that
fix, even though it was necessary.]}}

Amend R 726, "Party Hall", to make the following changes:

1) Replace all occurrances of the following text:

      "A Swinger, whether a Party Swinger, or a NAP Swinger, holds e's seat 
until e resigns or voted out."

with:

      "A Swinger, whether a Party Swinger, or a NAP Swinger, holds e's seat 
until e resigns, or is impeached, except that an NAP Swinger loses e's
seat when e joins a Political Party, and a Party Swinger loses e's seat
when e leaves eir Party, or that Party is dissolved or defunct.

{{all non-NAP Swingers who are not members of political parties 
are removed from all offices of swinger which they hold.  All players who
hold more than one office of swinger are removed from all offices of
swinger which they hold.}}"

2) Add the following text at the end of the rule:

	"There is no NAP Swinger seat if there are no non-aligned players.
This clause takes precedence over all others in this rule, or any other
mutable rule pertaining to Party Hall or Swingers."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 96 23:59:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Underworld

	The UNDERWORLD Political Party

The founding members of UNDERWORLD are Wayne, Techno, and Bash.

The UNDERWORLD is dedicated to the accumulation of power in all its
forms.  Our pursuit of power will not necessarily be limited to Ackanomic,
but may extend into other Nomics, whatever their form.  We intend to use
our collective power to the advantage of our party and its members, and
will not let foolish morality or other weaknesses keep us from doing so.
The UNDERWORLD will not be above bribing Judges or votes.  Our votes 
will be up for sale if the price is right. 

There shall be a Party Boss (PB).  The PB shall be a member of the
Underworld  (UW).  The PB shall be responsible for all UW assests.
If at any time the PB is no longer a member of UW, a new PB shall be 
selected.  If at any time a majority of members support another member 
for PB, a new PB shall be selected.  

To select a new PB, a majority of members must support a member of UW.
Once their support is distributed to all members, the player supported
shall be the new PB.  Any UW assests controlled by the old PB shall be
transferred to the new PB ASAP.  The initial PB shall be Wayne.

To join UNDERWORLD, unanimous consent must be given from all active
members.  New members may be required to contribute a fee set by the PB 
to the UNDERWORLD assests.  If at any time, the party is dissolved, the 
UW assets will be distributed by the PB as he sees fit.

Conditions for removal from UNDERWORLD: 
(one or more of the below) 
	1. not voting with the Party when requested to do so by the PB.
	2. Expulsion by the PB.  No reasoning need be given.
====================
Techno has requested that he become the Swinger for Underworld.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 20:00:47 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: VRML 

I hacve completed work on a VRML model of my ackahouse, which I will link
to the map (I'll post the URL when I determine where I want it servbed
from).  When it is posted, how many other players would be interested in
having VRML representations of their ackahouses made?  How many will even
visit mine :)

In other VRML news, I am working on a VRML gallery.  I was hoping more
players would subit portraits, or have one created (for a small fee :)) but
that hasn't happened, so the VRML gallery will be mostly empty.  What I
would like to know, though, is whether Ackanomic would prefer to have a
tradition square roomed shape gallery, or something more exotic?

I am currently leaning towards making the gallery a sphere, with portraits
floating in mid air on "Blocks" but I am willing to change it to whatever
sounds good to other people.

Having fun with VRML,
snowgod
in gaol

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 23:35:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: My House

snowgod wrote:
> I am renaming my house "snowgod's beach cottage".

You can't do this while you're in Gaol.

/dev/joe
Map-Harfer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 23:53:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1187

> Proposal 1187 - Thu Sep 05 23:54:37 EDT 1996
> Couldn't Quite Find the Paradox CFJ
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

> 2) Add the following text at the end of the rule:
> 
> 	"There is no NAP Swinger seat if there are no non-aligned players.
> This clause takes precedence over all others in this rule, or any other
> mutable rule pertaining to Party Hall or Swingers."

Heh, I'd thought of this possibility a while back, when Permanent
Vacation/FOOZBALL still existed.  At one point, Nobs (plus some
other players who were considering joining, and would have made
6 players total) was considering splitting into two parties, but
it was around this time that players started falling off the face
of Ackanomia, a trend that eventually led to the end of both the
Nobs and FOOZBALL parties.  If things had gone the way I was
expecting them to, we would have had 18 players in 6 parties and
only 4 non-aligned players.  When Quorum Crisis II happened, and
then pTang and the great old one got ejected, and Kelly's net link
failed, I forgot to submit the proposal.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 00:54:07 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1186

>The one
>exception is that a player who has been on vacation less than 2 days may
>not take themselves off vacation.

I don't like this. There are times when it is legitimate to come back 
from vacation sooner than that.

tinan
Fight patriarchy - sing the Howdy Doody theme song.

- --      Mike Epstein            "We expect them [Salvadoran officials] 
    [email-masked]         to work toward the elimination of 
  *                      *       human rights."          --Dan Quayle
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/   

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 00:51:07 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: My House

Phil Ackley wrote:
 
> I am renaming my house "snowgod's beach cottage".

Are you permitted to do this in Gaol?  Sorry, in a nit-picky mood.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 00:53:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Underworld

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
>         The UNDERWORLD Political Party
> 
> The founding members of UNDERWORLD are Wayne, Techno, and Bash.

Cool, back in business.  I was just going to point out that Party Hall
would go defunct at the end of the nect cycle, assuming it lasted for
more than 30 days.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #210
*******************************