Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #206
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest     Wednesday, September 4 1996     Volume 01 : Number 206

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 1:11:40 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acka: Interactivity.

Did anyone else here ever play on Nomic World?   I did, and it was a lot of
fun at first.  But after a while it got boring.  I think it is easier to
play my email because everyone cvan play at thier own pace.  There was one
orm a quorum
at 4AM when no one else was logged in.  I can't remember how it turned out
though.

Wayne
(I think Pascal played as well)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 1:14:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1180

Proposal 1180 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:15 EDT 1996
National Geographic
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

Acceptance of this proposal will amend the complete text of rule 729 to
read:

The Earth is flat. Contradiction of this fact is Heresy. 
The Chartreuse Goose came before the Chartreuse Goose Egg.  Contradiction of
this fact is heresy.

If, in a public message, a player contradicts any of the above facts, or
implies that they are not so, any other player may call for a Witchhunt, by
publically posting that they are doing so. 

During the Witchhunt, which lasts 3 days, players send their votes to the
Assistant Tabulator (hereafter referred to as the Witchfinder General)
containing the name of the alleged Heretic. Players can vote either "NO!  E
has spoken truly.", or "BURN THE WITCH!" 

After the Witchhunt is over, a simple majority (50% or more) will determine
whether or not the alleged Heretic has been burned.The Witchfinder General
will publicly announce the outcome. 

If the witch has been burned, e shall enter the Ackanomic Afterlife, and
shall lose 10 points. 

Any player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
Enlightened. Any player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope and
may never become Enlightened. Any player who is Enlightened is free to say
what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be
burned as a heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all others in this
rule.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 1:14:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1181

Proposal 1181 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:30 EDT 1996
Appealing Penalties
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 710 to add the following section at the end of the current text:

      8c) If a TRUE verdict is upheld on an appeal, the appellate court
or judge may impose a penalty different from the previously imposed 
penalty.  If such an appeal verdict is delivered during the grace period,
the new penalty is imposed at the end of that grace period instead of the
original one (ie, the grace period is not adjusted).  If the appeal verdict 
is delivered after the grace period ended (previous penalty already
imposed), then the appropriate transactions are performed to adjust the
penalty.  In this case, if either penalty involved a SENTENCE in the Gaol,
then the difference is tacked on or subtracted from player X's current
sentence.  If the result is non-positive, player X is released from the
Gaol if they are there.  If the result is positive, and player X is not
in Gaol, they are placed there immediately.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 1:14:41 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1182

Proposal 1182 - Wed Sep 04 01:14:41 EDT 1996
Fixing up the Gaol rule even more
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 709, "Gaol", as follows:

1. Add this paragraph after paragraph which says that players in Gaol do not
   count for determining quorum:

Players in the Gaol may not be selected to judge CFJ's, to be mentors,
to find Phoebe's Matchbox, or to be Mad Hatters.  If a player has been
selected to judge a CFJ and has not yet accepted or declined the
appointment when e enters the Gaol, e is considered to have declined
the appointment as judge.

{{[There is already a blanket precedence clause, but some precedence stuff
in the rule needs to be fixed up a bit... part of this rule might be a
CFJ256-style paradox, but that loophole is due to be closed any day now by
proposal 1160 -- not necessarily in the way we want for this rule, though.
The last paragraph gives the rule global precedence, but the section
with the list of Gaolbirds' rights globally defers. ]}}

2. Delete these sentences wherever they appear in the rule:

  'This takes precedence over Rule 201 "Quorum".'

  'This rule has precedence over any other mutable rule which
   conflicts in whole or in part, with any of its provisions.'

3. Add this paragraph at the beginning of the rule:

This rule has precedence over all other mutable rules, except where
this rule explicitly defers to other rules.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 11:33:39 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1183

Proposal 1183 - Wed Sep 04 11:33:38 EDT 1996
Consolidation I
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a modest proposal

Repeal R 1136

- -------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 666, "End of Cycle", to make the following changes in the
order specifed:

1) reletter section k) to section l)

2) add a section k) after section j), reading:

k) If the cycle currently ending has exceeded 30 days in length, all
players who have been on vacation for the entire cycle are removed from
the game as if they have quit.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 11:33:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1184

Proposal 1184 - Wed Sep 04 11:33:50 EDT 1996
Oh Please Oh Please Oh Please Vote YES
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Repeal R 691.

{{[This rule adds NO value, is NOT a deterrent, and has ABSOLUTELY no
compensatory benefits for the extra work it creates.  It only transfers
a required response for the judge designate, and adds an extra step
on top of redistributing a deadbeat CFJ.  Its bad enough when a CFJ is
ignored, and I have to go through the work to redo that step, but to add
this step as well, for no return on the work, is too much.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:08:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1160 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1160
  Proposal 1160 - Sun Aug 25 13:30:17 EDT 1996
  Closing the CFJ 256 paradox in general
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

9 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  142 -> 151

9 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  53               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  16               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   9               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -7               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  11               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  13               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                       31 -> 33           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  breadbox                                    -17 -> -15          

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1160 - Sun Aug 25 13:30:17 EDT 1996
Closing the CFJ 256 paradox in general
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend Rule 210, "Resolving Conflicts", by adding the following to the end
of the first paragraph:

"If two statements in the same rule conflict with each other, and the
rule doesn't define a way to resolve the conflict, then the statement
which appears later in the rule takes precedence."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:09:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1161 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1161
  Proposal 1161 - Sun Aug 25 13:31:07 EDT 1996
  ammend R991
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

11 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  16 -> 25

11 YES votes:  
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  25               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   9               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -7               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  11               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  breadbox                                    = -15               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  13               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   53 -> 55           
  Mellon                                       33 -> 35           

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        
===================
Tammany was bribed by Uri Bruck in the amount of A$10

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:10:16 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1163 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1163
  Proposal 1163 - Sun Aug 25 18:32:04 EDT 1996
  Making Swing Votes Tradeable
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

10 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  55 -> 64

10 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  64               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  25               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   9               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -7               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  11               
  breadbox                                    = -15               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                       35 -> 37           
  Wayne                  Underworld            13 -> 15           

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1163 - Sun Aug 25 18:32:04 EDT 1996
Making Swing Votes Tradeable
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{[This proposal attempts tp bring swing votes into the framework of
tradeable entities, while retaining what was intended, as I read the
rule, anyway.  Currenly, the way I rewrote the financial system, I
don't think they can be transferred as this rule claims, at least they
cannot be transferred for a *tradeable* entity such as ackadollars.]}}

Amend R 1116, "The Law of Party Gravity" as follows:

1) replace section 2. d. with: 

"d. SwingVotes are Tradeable. Parties may regulate the way in which the
SwingVotes owned by their Swinger are traded."

2) replace section 2. e. with:

"e. The NAP Swinger may only trade SwingVotes to non-aligned players.
The NAP Swinger may not initiatiate an auction of SwingVotes. This has
precedence over R 1023."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:11:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1164 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1164
  Proposal 1164 - Mon Aug 26 09:55:36 EDT 1996
  I'm Not Allowed to Think
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 8 players cast votes

6 YES votes   1 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  64 -> 73

6 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  73               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   9               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -7               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                       37 -> 39           

2 PRESENT votes:
  gnome                                        =   0
  breadbox                                     = -15

6 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1164 - Mon Aug 26 09:55:36 EDT 1996
I'm Not Allowed to Think
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rules 554, 775, 990, and 991 as follows:

Replace all occurrance of the word "iff" with the
phrase "if and only if".

{{[it occurs to me that R 451 forces a rendering of 'iff' to be
'if', not what was intended (at least according to my
Websters; I'll admit I didn't ftp and uncompress the official
dictionary).  It also occurs to me that the 'iff' construct may
not be vocationally or linguistly neutral (I guess thats a fancy
way of saying its 'jargon'); I'm also in a ridiculous mood after
writing CFJ 271, and have never found a use for this loophole,
so I'll write comments that are longer than the rule change.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:11:24 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1165 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1165
  Proposal 1165 - Tue Aug 27 10:24:25 EDT 1996
  Back Pay
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

9 YES votes   1 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  73 -> 82

9 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -2               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  82               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  25               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   9               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -7               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                       39 -> 41           

2 PRESENT votes:
  gnome                                        =   0
  breadbox                                     = -15

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1165 - Tue Aug 27 10:24:25 EDT 1996
Back Pay
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest proposal.

{{/dev/joe, ThinMan, and Wayne each have A$24 transferred from the Treasury
to their accounts. [this is to make up for the work that was done as 
Registrar, Financier, and Promoter, that wasn't paid (amount is a guess)]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:11:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1166 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1166
  Proposal 1166 - Tue Aug 27 10:25:15 EDT 1996
  Worms
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

6 YES votes   6 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 9 points.  82 -> 73

6 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   73 -> 74           
  Mellon                                       41 -> 42           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             9 -> 10           
  Habeous Corpus                               -7 -> -6           
  breadbox                                    -15 -> -14          

6 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -2               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  25               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:16:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1162 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1162
  Proposal 1162 - Sun Aug 25 18:31:48 EDT 1996
  Amend the Steel Flea
  breadbox  (Brian Raiter)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

6 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

breadbox loses 9 points.  -14 -> -23

6 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   74 -> 75           
  Mellon                                       42 -> 43           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                25 -> 26           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Techno                 Underworld            11 -> 12           
  breadbox                                    -23 -> -22          

5 NO votes:  
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  10               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -6               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  15               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

==========================
My apologies, I've forgotten to do this prop in order.  The scores
should be correct, although they may have gotten there a different
way.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:20:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1167 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1167
  Proposal 1167 - Tue Aug 27 10:25:34 EDT 1996
  As the World Sees Us
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

5 YES votes   4 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 9 points.  75 -> 66

5 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   -2 -> -1           
  Malenkai               FUN                   66 -> 67           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                26 -> 27           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            10 -> 11           
  Wayne                  Underworld            15 -> 16           

4 NO votes:  
  Mellon                                      =  43               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -6               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 151               

2 PRESENT votes:
  gnome                                        =   0
  breadbox                                     = -22

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:20:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1168 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1168
  Proposal 1168 - Tue Aug 27 10:26:41 EDT 1996
  Encouraging Fun
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

8 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  67 -> 76

8 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -1               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  76               
  Mellon                                      =  43               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  11               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -6               
  breadbox                                    = -22               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               151 -> 153          
  Wayne                  Underworld            16 -> 18           

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1168 - Tue Aug 27 10:26:41 EDT 1996
Encouraging Fun
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 207 to replace the paragraphs which currently read:

"If a proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 9 points
and every player who voted NO on it receives 2 points. 

If a proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed it
loses 9 points and every player who voted YES on it receives 1 point." 

with:

"If a proposal is accepted, the player who proposed it receives 10 points
and every player who voted NO on it receives 3 points. 

If a proposal is rejected, but meets quorum, the player who proposed it
loses 7 points and every player who voted YES on it receives 3 points." 

{{[attempting to eliminate the incentive to vote no, and add incentive
to write more interesting (risky) proposals]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:23:29 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1170 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1170
  Proposal 1170 - Wed Aug 28 12:44:54 EDT 1996
  Internomic Proposals
  Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

9 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Habeous Corpus gains 10 points.  -6 -> 4

9 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -1               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  79               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  11               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   4               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 153               
  breadbox                                    = -22               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  18               

1 NO votes:  3 points each
  Mellon                                       46 -> 49           

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1170 - Wed Aug 28 12:44:54 EDT 1996
Internomic Proposals
Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Ammend Rule 970 by performing the following action:

Delete the phrase:  "but  may only do so once per week" from the end of
the third paragraph.

{{[This should work,  even if Malenkai's Proposal passes.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:23:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1169 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1169
  Proposal 1169 - Tue Aug 27 10:26:59 EDT 1996
  ammend 1083
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

8 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 10 points.  27 -> 37

8 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  37               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  11               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  -6               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 153               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  18               

2 NO votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   76 -> 79           
  Mellon                                       43 -> 46           

2 PRESENT votes:
  gnome                                        =   0
  breadbox                                     = -22

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1169 - Tue Aug 27 10:26:59 EDT 1996
ammend 1083
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Ammend section 5 of R1083 to read in full:
"A Pawn can only be Placed on one of the columns a,b,s,t, or on one of the
rows 1,2,19,20."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 12:23:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1171 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1171
  Proposal 1171 - Wed Aug 28 12:45:25 EDT 1996
  Mootability II
  Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

3 YES votes   9 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Habeous Corpus loses 7 points.  4 -> -3

3 YES votes:  3 point each
  Robin Hood                                   -1 -> 2            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            11 -> 14           
  Habeous Corpus                               -3 -> 0            

9 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  79               
  Mellon                                      =  49               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  37               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 153               
  breadbox                                    = -22               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  18               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  snowgod                (None Yet)           
  Techno                 Underworld           
  IdiotBoy                                    
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  Bash                                        

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:43:44 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 273 Verdict 

>CFJ 273 has been judged TRUE.
>
>Statement:
>
>The "appropriate week" for the current two-week bond cycle to end is the
>week containing the day exactly two weeks after the cycle began.
>
>ThinMan's reasoning:
>
>The other possibility is the week containing the first Monday at least
>two weeks after the cycle began.  The rules are unclear on this matter,
>but I see no basis for a paradox claim -- the matter can and will be
>cleared up by judicial decision.  I selected the above interpretation to
>CFJ first because of the timing issues.
>
>Habeous Corpus' reasoning:
>
>Both possibilities raised in ThinMan's Statement and Reasoning are
>equally TRUE.  Bond Cycles are independant of Game Cycles (ref. R666
>para. h and j).  Therefore,  the two week cycles always start and end on
>a Monday.  Hence the the Statement is judged TRUE.

I do not appeal this CFJ, for it makes little difference to me what the
result is.  I feel compelled to point out, however, that the Judge's
reasoning totally misses the point.

The problem that this CFJ addresses is that a bond cycle started on Friday,
August 23 when I won cycle 6, before the bond cycle rules were amended to
their present form.  This CFJ establishes that the first bond cycle of game
cycle 7 ended last Monday (Sept. 2), rather than continuing until next Monday.

The two possibilities that I presented were therefore NOT equivalent for
this case, and Habeous Corpus' reasoning is invalid.  This does not, however,
in any way invalidate the verdict (ironically enough).  There was some
discussion about this situation on the list, which I can only assume Habeous
Corpus somehow missed.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 96 14:00:23 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1182

> If a player has been
>selected to judge a CFJ and has not yet accepted or declined the
>appointment when e enters the Gaol, e is considered to have declined
>the appointment as judge.

What if a player has accepted but not yet returned a judgement?

- --      Mike Epstein            "You live and learn.
    [email-masked]        	At any rate, you live."
  *                      *             --Douglas Adams
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:03:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Scores

Whew, it was an interesting day for the Scorekeeper.
Wayne's scores in the voting reports were mostly wrong because of all
the weird cases.

1. I would like to get some clarification on whether or not the
score changes occur out-of-order (i.e., not in proposal-number order)
when Wayne makes a mistake like he did with 1162.  In this case, there
will be no difference because the score changes involved were small
enough and caught quickly enough as to not do any damage, and the
out-of-order proposal failed so there are no rule changes out of order.

2. Proposals 1161, 1163, and 1164 passed and were modest.
Proposal 1165 passed and was modest and short.

3. Proposal 1168 contains the kind of rule change referred to by the second
part of rule 793 and by section 5 of rule 1089.2; 1089.2 defers to 793 here,
but it doesn't look like a conflict -- rather, 1089.2 just does something
stronger than 793.  By 1089.2, no R207 score changes are applied for
proposal 1168.  The later part of R793 should be deleted, and I will
probably submit a proposal to do so.

4. After the amendment to rule 207, two more short proposals passed --
proposals 1169 and 1170.

5. Here are what I believe are the current scores:

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
151	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
58	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
49	Mellon               A   (Niklas Mellin)
37	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
16	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
12	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
14	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
5	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
5	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
2	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
0	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
0	Bash                 N   (Erez Bashan)
0	Calvin N Hobbes     IV   (Thierry Joffrain)
0	De'ghew              V   (John Spickes) 
0	fon                  V   (Adrian Smith) 
0	IdiotBoy             N   (Matt Miller)
0	mr cwm               V   (Eric Murray) 
0	Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -2	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
- -4	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
- -5	Pascal               A   (Jason Reed) 
- -10	Geezer               V   (David Chapman)
- -22	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)

Status: 
A=Active, N=New, V=Vacationing, IV=Involuntary Vacation, I=On Ice, D=Dead

6. breadbox has been the gnome buddy continuously since before P1160's
results were announced.  Nobody had a score of 76, -60 or less, or 257 or
more during this batch of score changes.

7. The proposal and rule pages will be updated this evening.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #206
*******************************