Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #203
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Monday, September 2 1996       Volume 01 : Number 203

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 2:09:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1156 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1156
  Proposal 1156 - Fri Aug 23 16:07:26 EDT 1996
  Making R362 and R691 cause vacation instead of removal from game
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 12 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

7 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  142 -> 151

7 YES votes:  
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -5               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   6               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -2               
  Habeous Corpus                              = -22               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  10               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  17               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   42 -> 44           
  Mellon                                       27 -> 29           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             9 -> 11           

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  breadbox                                    
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  IdiotBoy                                    

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1156 - Fri Aug 23 16:07:26 EDT 1996
Making R362 and R691 cause vacation instead of removal from game
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
 
 Amend rule 362 by changing the last sentence to:
 "If the player does not reply within two days, then e is placed on vacation
  with an expected duration of zero days."
 
 Amend rule 691 by changing the last sentence to:
 "If the player does not reply within four days, then e is placed on vacation
  with an expected duration of zero days."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 2:09:33 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1157 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1157
  Proposal 1157 - Fri Aug 23 16:07:32 EDT 1996
  Getting rid of old players' stuff
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 12 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

5 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

/dev/joe loses 9 points.  151 -> 142

5 YES votes:  1 point each
  ThinMan                Vulcan                -5 -> -4           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                 6 -> 7            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            11 -> 12           
  Techno                 Underworld            10 -> 11           
  Wayne                  Underworld            17 -> 18           

5 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  44               
  Mellon                                      =  29               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -2               
  Habeous Corpus                              = -22               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  breadbox                                    
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  IdiotBoy                                    

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 2:11:44 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1158 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1158
  Proposal 1158 - Fri Aug 23 16:07:48 EDT 1996
  ammend 991
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 12 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

11 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  7 -> 16

11 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  44               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  16               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -2               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  12               
  Habeous Corpus                              = -22               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  11               
  Extra Vote 1                                =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  18               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                       29 -> 31           

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  breadbox                                    
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  IdiotBoy                                    

Niccolo Flychuck spent A$105 buying an extra vote and bribing the Tamany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1158 - Fri Aug 23 16:07:48 EDT 1996
ammend 991
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to ammend rule 991 in the following ways:

I. Ammend section 1 B to read in its entirety:
"Any active player is eligible for the office of Chess-Umpire."

II. Delete section 1 C entirely
 
III. Section 1 D becomes 1 C

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 2:12:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1159 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1159
  Proposal 1159 - Fri Aug 23 16:08:01 EDT 1996
  Revising Rules 9 Times Leaves all kinds of Dingleberries
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 12 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

10 YES votes   0 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  44 -> 53

10 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  53               
  Mellon                                      =  31               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  -4               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  16               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -2               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  12               
  Habeous Corpus                              = -22               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  11               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  18               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  breadbox                                    
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:
  IdiotBoy                                    

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1159 - Fri Aug 23 16:08:01 EDT 1996
Revising Rules 9 Times Leaves all kinds of Dingleberries
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 569, "Overturning Judgements", to replace all occurrances of 
the following sentence:

"In the event that a player opposes the appeal, they may appeal again to
 the Supreme Court by paying the penalty."

with:

"In the event that a player opposes the appeal, they may appeal again to
the Supreme Court, assuming they are not exceeding any appeal limits
specified elsewhere in this, or other rules."
 
{{[yes, another self-inconsistent rule ala CFJ 256.  Its cheap to claim
a win on this after it has been pointed out, IMHO, even I'm not doing
it :).  Note that I'm not insinuating that CFJ 256 was cheap, I was
just waiting until that verdict came back to see if I needed to fix
this]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 09:15:56 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: voluteering for the position of Chess-Umpire

tinan,
P1158 passed and it is now legal for me to be Chess-Umpire, I'd like to
volunteer for that office.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 02:17:50 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Chess-Umpire

In accordance with some rule or another I appoint Niccolo Flychuck 
Chess-Umpire.

Man, it's nice to have that monkey off my back. :)

tinan
Appointer

- --      Mike Epstein            "One day Donald Trump will discover
    [email-masked]         that he is owned -- lock, stock, and
  *                      *       roulette wheel -- by the Lutheran 
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/    Brotherhood and must renegotiate his
                                 debt load with a committee of silent
Norwegians who don't understand why anyone would pay more than $120
for a suit."                                 --Garrison Keillor, 1995

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 02:03:35 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Consecutive NO votes report

With the potential for consecutive NO voting in the results just published,
I did some checking while compiling the scores.  Habeous Corpus began this
stretch of proposals as the Gnome Buddy and as Malenkai's series of proposals
begins (after proposal 1139) Habeous has a score of -25.

On proposal 1139, only Mellon and Pascal voted NO, so any other players'
strings of NO votes have ended.  Pascal voted YES on 1138 but Mellon voted
NO on 1138, and YES on 1137.

On proposal 1140, Robin Hood, Brinjal, ThinMan, Niccolo Flychuck,
this is not a name, /dev/joe, breadbox, Wayne, and Pascal voted NO,
making a streak of 1 NO vote for each of them except 2 for Pascal.

On proposal 1141, Robin Hood, Brinjal, ThinMan, Niccolo Flychuck,
this is not a name, /dev/joe, and Wayne brought their consecutive-NO
streak to 2, and Mellon and snowgod also voted NO.  Pascal voted
PRESENT and breadbox did not vote.

On proposal 1142, Robin Hood, Brinjal, Niccolo Flychuck, 
this is not a name, /dev/joe, and Wayne voted NO the 3rd time in a row;
Mellon and snowgod voted NO for the 2nd time, and Pascal for the 1st time.
ThinMan voted PRESENT.

On proposal 1143, Brinjal, Niccolo Flychuck, and Wayne voted NO for the
4th time in a row; snowgod for the 3rd; ThinMan and Habeous Corpus for
the 1st.  Robin Hood, Mellon, this is not a name, /dev/joe, and Pascal
all broke their consecutive-NO streaks by voting PRESENT on this proposal.

After the retracted ones, the next proposal is 1147, where Brinjal,
Niccolo Flychuck, and Wayne voted NO for the 5th time in a row;
snowgod for the 4th time; ThinMan and Habeous Corpus for the 2nd time.
Robin Hood, Mellon, this is not a name, and /dev/joe voted NO for the
1st time.  Pascal voted PRESENT.

On proposal 1148, Brinjal and Niccolo Flychuck voted NO for the 6th
consecutive time; snowgod for the 5th time; ThinMan and Habeous Corpus
for the 3rd time; Mellon and /dev/joe for the 2nd time, and Pascal for
the 1st time. Robin Hood and this is not a name voted PRESENT and Wayne
voted YES.

On proposal 1149, Brinjal voted NO for the 7th consecutive time;
ThinMan for the 4th, Mellon and /dev/joe for the 3rd, and this is
not a name and Wayne for the 1st time.  Robin Hood, Niccolo Flychuck,
snowgod, Habeous Corpus, and Pascal voted PRESENT.

After the retracted P1150, on proposal 1151, Brinjal voted NO for the
8th consecutive time and this vote is changed to a YES.  I'm sure he
won't mind; it scores him a point.  ThinMan voted no for the 5th time,
Mellon and /dev/joe for the 4th, and I'm not following the shorter streaks.

ThinMan and /dev/joe voted YES on 1152, and Mellon voted NO for the
5th time in a row -- he finally votes YES on 1153.

Over this stretch of proposals, only Brinjal's vote on P1151 had to be
changed to a YES vote to comply with the "Consecutive NO votes" rule.

Habeous Corpus was the Gnome Buddy the entire time so the gnome votes are
as Wayne posted them on these proposals.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 10:06:07 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Chess-Umpire

Ok, people,
Take a look at 
http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/

that's gonna be the PartyChess home page, I'm gonna fill it up with
information sometime today
Swingers who haven't picked their starting pieces yet, please do so now.

Right now I gotta return calls to everybody and his brother and their
second cousin Phil.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> In accordance with some rule or another I appoint Niccolo Flychuck 
> Chess-Umpire.
> 
> Man, it's nice to have that monkey off my back. :)
> 
> tinan
> Appointer
> 
> --      Mike Epstein            "One day Donald Trump will discover
>   [email-masked]       that he is owned -- lock, stock, and
> *                      *       roulette wheel -- by the Lutheran 
> http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/    Brotherhood and must renegotiate his
>                                debt load with a committee of silent
> Norwegians who don't understand why anyone would pay more than $120
> for a suit."                                 --Garrison Keillor, 1995
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 11:02:56 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Registrar - new player

We have a new player in Ackanomic

His name is Erez Bashan, he has not picked his Ackanomic name yet, his
email is [email-masked]

We welcome him to Ackanomic,

Barukh Haba Erez

Niccolo Flychuck
Registrar

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 11:05:53 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gaol?

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> Does anyone know offhand when my sentence in the Gaol begins?
> 
> I tried checking the webpage,  but the server didn't respond.
> 
> snowgod

The server was non-responive for a couple of hours, but it's back now.

Niccolo Flychuck 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 11:15:14 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web Partyboards and such

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what Niccolo Flychuck tried to do with his HTML-table
> partyboard, but it sure looks like a mess.  The text one looks fine.
Which was why I gave it up and stuck to the text.

> I put up a simple single-table partyboard with widths specified, and a  few
> pieces placed on the board to get an idea of what these might look like.
> 
> It is at http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/partyboard.html.
> 
> If you use a large font in your browser then the piece names might be
> too wide, and thus cause tall rows; I wanted to keep the widths small
> enough that people viewing this in a 640x480 window don't have to scroll
> horizontally (they'd already have to scroll vertically).
> 
> I'd appreciate it if people who visit this page can tell me if it works
> & looks OK, or if they have problems with it.

I just pulld off a win95 machine to get a look at this, and it looked
fine. I'll have to take a look at home as well, and see how it fits in the
table in the PartyChess home page. If it does, I'll adopt it. 

Thanks /dev

Niccolo Flychuck

 > 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 04:26:06 -0400
From: Mike Epstein <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Web Partyboards and such

>> I put up a simple single-table partyboard with widths specified, and a  few
>> pieces placed on the board to get an idea of what these might look like.
>> 
>> It is at http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/partyboard.html.

This looks fine on my Mac.

- --      Mike Epstein            "When I am working on a problem I never
    [email-masked]         think about beauty. I only think about
  *                      *       how to solve the problem. But when I 
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/    have finished, if the solution is not
                                 beautiful, I know it is wrong."
                                                   --Buckminster Fuller

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 12:04:40 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Yet another Party Chess page

I tried to integrate /dev/joe's partyboard with my  home page , the one
with the text inside. I haven't seen it myself yet - the guy on the Win95
machine came to his senses.
check it out, let me know

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 12:06:16 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Yet another Party Chess page

http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/table.html

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> I tried to integrate /dev/joe's partyboard with my  home page , the one
> with the text inside. I haven't seen it myself yet - the guy on the Win95
> machine came to his senses.
> check it out, let me know
> 
> Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 12:10:41 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Yet another Party Chess page -III

The plot unfolds:

I have established a beachhead at Netscape, and managed to touch type in
the URL. 
The combination looks good. The nested table works for me.

please let me know if it doesn't work for you, I'll probably leave both
versions anyway, since the table loos nice, and the text version is
necessary anyway.

Once again, I thank /dev/joe for both his work and instruction.

Niccolo Flychuck

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/table.html
> 
> 
> On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> > I tried to integrate /dev/joe's partyboard with my  home page , the one
> > with the text inside. I haven't seen it myself yet - the guy on the Win95
> > machine came to his senses.
> > check it out, let me know
> > 
> > Niccolo Flychuck
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 12:27:43 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: something with fleas ?

I keep having this nagging thought in the back of my mind that someone is
desperately seeking my attention. It is a most curious thing, it's
something with fleas, but not the kind you find on a dog.
It's a different kind of flea - could it be metal or steel?

Nah, couldn't be, anyway I can't be bothered to deal with steel fleas at
the moment. People will just have to take care of their hygene.

Niccolo Flychuck

He is.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 16:56:28 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Scores

I have updated the scores through proposal 1159.
The scores in Wayne's reports are mostly right, except Wayne scored
5 extra points for proposal 1136 being short.

Malenkai went back below 76 points without ever reaching exactly that score.

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
142	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
53	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
31	Mellon               A   (Niklas Mellin)
23	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
16	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
12	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
11	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
8	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
5	Pascal               A   (Jason Reed) 
5	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
0	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
0	Calvin N Hobbes     IV   (Thierry Joffrain)
0	De'ghew              V   (John Spickes) 
0	fon                  V   (Adrian Smith) 
0	IdiotBoy             N   (Matt Miller)
0	mr cwm               V   (Eric Murray) 
0	Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -2	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
- -4	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
- -7	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
- -10	Geezer               V   (David Chapman)
- -22	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)

Status: 
A=Active, N=New, V=Vacationing, IV=Involuntary Vacation, I=On Ice, D=Dead

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 17:48:53 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postmasterness

All mail sent to observer [email-masked]
is bouncing, so I am moving him to the digest version of the list.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 19:46:40 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gaol

It is my duty to throw the dangerous gumball-manipulator snowgod into the 
depths of Gaol. As such, he is now confined to cell no. (2^31 - 1) .

this is not a name
Acting Gaoler

- --      Mike Epstein            "You can't say civilization don't 
    [email-masked]         advance...in every war they kill you
  *                      *       in a new way."
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/                           --Will Rogers

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #203
*******************************