Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #201
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Sunday, September 1 1996       Volume 01 : Number 201

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 10:30:44 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: PartyBoard beta - now back in place

I guess you  people were right again, so instead of sending of corrrecting
the URL, I just moved it to where I said it was
PartyBoard beta is currently at
http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/PartyBoard1.html

(yesterday it was a little deeper - it's there now)
 take a look - I'm seriously conisdering doing it as text, since Netscape
doesn't appear to be able to handle big tables, but take a look anyway.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 96 04:59:52 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PartyBoard beta - now back in place

>I guess you  people were right again, so instead of sending of corrrecting
>the URL, I just moved it to where I said it was
>PartyBoard beta is currently at
>http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/PartyBoard1.html

I don't know how it looks under Windoze, but on my Mac with Netscape 3.0 
it looks pretty strange...in fact I put up a screen shot to show how 
strange...

http://www.bozosoft.com/chess.jpg

I think doing straight text might be a pretty good idea.

tinan

p.s. Please use "Acka" or "Ackanomic" in your subject line for those of 
us who filter our mail. Thanks.

- --      Mike Epstein            
    [email-masked]        Do not remove a fly from a friend's
  *                      *      forehead with a chopstick.
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/   

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:17:21 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PartyBoard beta - now back in place

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> I don't know how it looks underWindoze, but on my Mac with Netscape 3.0 
> it looks pretty strange...in fact I put up a screen shot to show how 
> strange...
> 
> http://www.bozosoft.com/chess.jpg

That's a bit different than what I got (although my results were imperfect
as well) - I suppose it is possible to force cells to be a uniform size
using WIDTH and HEIGHT attribute
 > 
> I think doing straight text might be a pretty good idea.
I'm begining to think so myself.  Perhaps "upgrade" it to a table later.

I'll let you know when it's up there.
Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> tinan

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 96 05:21:33 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PartyBoard beta - now back in place

>> I think doing straight text might be a pretty good idea.
>I'm begining to think so myself.  Perhaps "upgrade" it to a table later.

Or maybe not. Straight text is functional, and that's all that really 
matters. HTML tables aren't very well suited to large grids like this.

- --      Mike Epstein            
    [email-masked]        Don't have a battle of wits
  *                      *      with an unarmed opponent.
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/   

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:30:30 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PartyBoard beta - now back in place

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> >> I think doing straight text might be a pretty good idea.
> >I'm begining to think so myself.  Perhaps "upgrade" it to a table later.
> 
> Or maybe not. Straight text is functional, and that's all that really 
> matters. HTML tables aren't very well suited to large grids like this.

A text version is necessary anyway, in order to send the current board
configuration by email - however it would only be readable if one either
uses a text based app (that's not you) or monospaced fonts.
On a web page one should use the <PRE> tag, and if your browser is
configured properly - that is, with a monospaced font for preformatted
text, then you should be able to view it correctly with a browser
Niccolo Flychuck

 > 
> --      Mike Epstein            
>   [email-masked]        Don't have a battle of wits
> *                      *      with an unarmed opponent.
> http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/   
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 96 05:38:58 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PartyBoard beta - now back in place

>A text version is necessary anyway, in order to send the current board
>configuration by email - however it would only be readable if one either
>uses a text based app (that's not you) or monospaced fonts.

I use a monospaced font for email. Be sure you keep the line length below 
75 characters. Otherwise it'll get ugly with rewrapping.

- --      Mike Epstein            
    [email-masked]        "This book fills a much-needed gap."
  *                      *               --Moses Hadas (1900-1966)
http://www.bozosoft.com/mike/   

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:40:36 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/PartyBoard2.html

This is a plain text version using preformatted text.
Also take a look at
http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/king.html
and rfc on that one.

Tables, as tinan pointed out, are not suitable for such large grids.
For now I suggest we'll make do with this.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:43:49 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: PartyBoard beta - now back in place

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> >A text version is necessary anyway, in order to send the current board
> >configuration by email - however it would only be readable if one either
> >uses a text based app (that's not you) or monospaced fonts.
> 
> I use a monospaced font for email. Be sure you keep the line length below 
> 75 characters. Otherwise it'll get ugly with rewrapping.

Shouldn't be a problem. Each square requires exactly 2 character, one for
the party initial letter, and one for the piece. add a delimiter line
that's three plus a 3 character overhead for the row number for a total of
63, and room to put the row number on the otherside as well ( I think
I'll add this, should make it easier to know what's where)

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 12:58:29 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: http://www.actcom.co.il/~bruck/PartyChess/beta.html

with links to current text only PartyBoard, two version of PartyChess home
page (one with PartyBoard, one without)
and a description of the King, which would serve as a template for
descriptions of other pieces. The legal move diagram will be provided for
when possible.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 08:27:43 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Re: p1171

On Fri, 30 Aug 1996 Malenkai wrote:
>As far as what you are doing now, if you somehow eliminate the fact that
>R 115 defers to mutables, and leave R 108 basically unchanged, the game
>will crash at that time, I believe.  That is why I say be very, very,
>careful.

I do not believe that even if my Proposal passes,  which i don't for a
second think will happen,  R115 should not crash the game.  The wording
of R115,  its "meat" if you will,  states that other Rules may restrict
or prohibit certain _specific_ actions.  The only conflict I see with
this is if someone passed a mutable Rule making it impossible to restrict
behavior.

The idea of Power interests me,  not because I think we need anything to
establish a blanket precedence policy or to resolve conflicts;  careful
wording of proposals and CFJ's can handle that.  Power might (or might
not) add a new dimension of ammusemsnt to the game.

Oh,  yes.  Keep your eye on IdiotBoy,  Malenkai.  I think e may end up
outscamming you.  8-/

Habeous Corpus
<A radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.- FDR>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 09:46:01 -0400
From: "Matt Miller" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Re: p1171

> From: [email-masked]
[snip]
> Oh,  yes.  Keep your eye on IdiotBoy,  Malenkai.  I think e may end up
> outscamming you.  8-/
> 

Cool, 2 days in and I have a rep.  This saves me alot of time actually
having to scam and spam!

IdiotBoy

> 
> Habeous Corpus
> <A radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.- FDR>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 16:41:51 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Gaol? 

Does anyone know offhand when my sentence in the Gaol begins?

I tried checking the webpage,  but the server didn't respond.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 20:21:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Gaol? & Stuff w/ Wilma

> Does anyone know offhand when my sentence in the Gaol begins?
> 
> I tried checking the webpage,  but the server didn't respond.

Wilma was down for a while today because I was messing with some stuff.
What I tried didn't work at all, so I returned wilma to its former state.

CFCJ 112 was judged true at Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:37:06 EDT
By rule 710, this is imposed after a 3 day grace period.  Thus, the
sentence begins September 1, 19:37:06 EDT.

/dev/joe

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 20:55:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postmasterness

breadbox's mail is bouncing.  Indeed, 5 days worth of it (about 120
messages) is queued up on wilma.  All of it is marked deferred --
no route to host.  It seems he's lost his connection to connectsoft.com.

Due to the above, I am exercising my privileges as Postmaster to:
1. Move breadbox to the digest list
2. Put breadbox on vacation.  

The vacation will prevent him from suffering any more deadbeat judge
penalties beyond what he has already been penalized for, and prevent
him from being chosen for more stuff at random until he gets his e-mail
straightened out.  

Since there is no duration specified for this vacation, by rule it is
14 days.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 22:30:19 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

I'm going on vacation till Monday or Tuesday

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 0:27:42 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1172

Proposal 1172 - Sun Sep 01 00:27:42 EDT 1996
I've Always Wondered What to Do if this Came Up
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 588, "Selecting a Judge", to add the following paragraph
after the first paragraph:

If the "remaining pool" is ever reduced to 0 eligible active players,
and a judge needs to be selected, then all those currently active players
who have previously declined judgement on the CFJ in question are added
back to the the remaining pool.  If doing this still leaves 0 eligible
judges, then the CFJ is deemed Invalid, and removed from consideration,
and no judge is selected.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 0:28:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1173

Proposal 1173 - Sun Sep 01 00:28:50 EDT 1996
Silly Nomic
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Ackanomic must always strive to be the silliest play by email game of nomic
in existance on the internet.

If, during his journeys, the Ambassador discovers that the ruleset of
another net-based nomic is substantially sillier than that of ackanomic he
must issue a report stating so.  This report must begin with the words "Oh,
woe are we," and contain at least three specific references to mimsy
entities.

Once a report has been issued, as specified by this rule the following
events must occur:

1) 3 harfy proposals must be adopted.

2) The speaker must compose, and read, a silly haiku praising the Fat Lady

3) Anyone in possesion of a mimsy entity must post a message thanking the
financier for his great work in service to ackanomic in general, and for
his great work in the collection and inventory of entities in specific.

If all three of these conditions are not fulfilled within 14 days of the
issuance of the report, then every players score shall imediatly be set to
- -6, with the exception of the harfmeister (whoever that may be at the end
of the 14 day period) who's score shall be set to -13.

This rule specifically defers to other rules that outline events that occur
upon the issuance of a report, or results of non-compliance with said
events.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 0:29:03 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1174

Proposal 1174 - Sun Sep 01 00:29:02 EDT 1996
Market Research Feedback
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 424, "Office of Registrar", to append the following text after
what is currently section (d):

(e) asking new players how they found out about the game, and making
this information public.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 1 Sep 96 0:30:31 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1175

Proposal 1175 - Sun Sep 01 00:30:30 EDT 1996
Amending 629
IdiotBoy  (Matt Miller)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rule 629, section (f), subsection (2), which currently reads:

If, at the end of the Prescribed Voting Period, 7/8 of the votes received,
exclusive of votes of "PRESENT", are "YES", then the Report of the
Convention shall be Accepted. 

To read as follows:

If, at the end of the Prescribed Voting Period, at least 7/8 of the votes
received, exclusive of votes of "PRESENT", are "YES", then the Report of
the Convention shall be Accepted.

Reasoning:

The framers of rule 629 intended to allow the Report of the Convention to
be accepted under circumstances other than an EXACT 7/8 to 1/8 vote.  This
Rule Change would allow unanimous, and >7/8, acceptance to permit the
Report of the Convention to be accepted.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 23:45:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Web Partyboards and such

I'm not quite sure what Niccolo Flychuck tried to do with his HTML-table
partyboard, but it sure looks like a mess.  The text one looks fine.
I put up a simple single-table partyboard with widths specified, and a few
pieces placed on the board to get an idea of what these might look like.

It is at http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/partyboard.html.

If you use a large font in your browser then the piece names might be
too wide, and thus cause tall rows; I wanted to keep the widths small
enough that people viewing this in a 640x480 window don't have to scroll
horizontally (they'd already have to scroll vertically).

I'd appreciate it if people who visit this page can tell me if it works
& looks OK, or if they have problems with it.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #201
*******************************