Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #195
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Tuesday, August 27 1996       Volume 01 : Number 195

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 08:52:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 271 Verdict

Malenkai wrote: 

[CFJ 271]

> In other news, I note that no pieces appear to be purchasable until the
> paradox in R 990 is cleaned up (P 1160 will do this, it appears).

This is probably FALSE.  The paradox was quite possibly cleaned up by
the rule changes in P 1124.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 08:56:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 272 (Habeous Corpus)

Habeous Corpus has been chosen, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 272
  Subject: Party Chess Purchases
Initiator: Niccolo Flychuck
    Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Aug 26, 1996, 08:55h New York Time)
 
Statement:
 
Robin Hood did not purchase any PartyChessPieces before this CFJ was
submitted.

Niccolo Flychuck's reasoning:

Basically, the same reasoning for CFJ 271. Note that this is not the same
statement as CFJ 271, and it also requests that the judge make a decision
about the situation at the Robin Hood made his declaration. By the the
time this is distributed Robin Hood might well decide again to make a
pruchase, and I only want to clear up the situation one way or another, I
really don't care which way it goes, I just want to be clear on this.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 9:55:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1164

Proposal 1164 - Mon Aug 26 09:55:36 EDT 1996
I'm Not Allowed to Think
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

This is a Modest Proposal.

Amend Rules 554, 775, 990, and 991 as follows:

Replace all occurrance of the word "iff" with the
phrase "if and only if".

{{[it occurs to me that R 451 forces a rendering of 'iff' to be
'if', not what was intended (at least according to my
Websters; I'll admit I didn't ftp and uncompress the official
dictionary).  It also occurs to me that the 'iff' construct may
not be vocationally or linguistly neutral (I guess thats a fancy
way of saying its 'jargon'); I'm also in a ridiculous mood after
writing CFJ 271, and have never found a use for this loophole,
so I'll write comments that are longer than the rule change.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:10:57 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka P1142

In CFJ268 I am asked to judge whether the following proposal refers
to 1141 or to 1152.

Proposal 1142 - Wed Aug 21 14:50:04 EDT 1996
Coup II
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule reading:

{{The rule changed described by the proposal entitled "Coup I" shall
be applied as if that proposal were accepted.  This takes precedence
over all other mutable rules.}}
- ----
This proposal may have problems on it's own.  I can only assume that
the author meant to say "{{The rule change described...." but instead
said "{{The rule changed described..."  So which rule is changed?  And
is it described by a proposal?

I would like to hear some comments on this before I make my judgement.

Wayne
PS I accept judgement on the CFJ.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:17:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1126 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1126
  Proposal 1126 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:45 EDT 1996
  Freedom of Speech
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

14 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  27 -> 36

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  42               
  Robin Hood                                  =   4               
  Mellon                                      =  13               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   2               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  36               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   2               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Pascal                                        2 -> 4            

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1126 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:45 EDT 1996
Freedom of Speech
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 592 by adding a period to the end of its last paragraph, and then
adding the following to that paragraph:
  "Words and the use of words in public messages are not Protected, except
   where specified by other rules."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:16:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1125 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1125
  Proposal 1125 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:43 EDT 1996
  Death to Dormancy
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

11 YES votes   4 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  18 -> 27

11 YES votes:  
  Mellon                                      =  13               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   2               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  27               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   2               

4 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   40 -> 42           
  Robin Hood                                    2 -> 4            
  Habeous Corpus                                4 -> 6            
  Pascal                                        0 -> 2            

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1125 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:43 EDT 1996
Death to Dormancy
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Amend rule 507, "The Supreme Court of Ackanomia" by deleting these
   two paragraphs:
    "Once a justice, a player can never be voted out or kicked of office by
     any other entity, except by a petition of at least two thirds the number
     of players. A justice can resign."

    "Should there not exist either/all of the above mentioned position
     (president, speaker, senator) then this rule becomes dormant until
     there are."

{{[ The normal impeachment process can replace the first paragraph.
    The second is one of those dormancy statements which probably never
    worked anyway. ]}}

2. Amend rule 508, "Justices Rock", by deleting the sentence:
   "This rule stays dormant if Justices do not exists, until they do."

3. Amend rule 895, "Map-Harfer, Creation of" by deleting the sentence:
   "If there are no such rules, this rule shall lie dormant until there are."

{{[ There were some other dormancy clauses, but all have either been
    removed already or some other proposal currently up for vote will
    remove them.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:18:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1127 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1127
  Proposal 1127 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:47 EDT 1996
  Things the Bee Can't Do
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

11 YES votes   4 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  36 -> 45

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   4               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   2               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  45               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               

4 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   42 -> 44           
  Mellon                                       13 -> 15           
  Wayne                  Underworld             2 -> 4            
  Pascal                                        4 -> 6            

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1127 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:47 EDT 1996
Things the Bee Can't Do
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Amend Rule 457: change "not not" to "not".

2. Amend Rule 721: insert "be" after "The Organization type must".

3. Amend Rule 798: change "player that" to "player who".

4. Amend Rule 990, section 5.E.: delete "it a legal move,"

5. Amend Rule 991, section 3.D.(iv)(c): change "the the" to "the"
   and change ".." to "."

6. Amend Rule 1079: delete the last comma in section 2.

7. Amend Rule 1082, section 2: change "A Bishop can in" to
   "A Bishop can move in"

8. Amend Rule 1083:
   In section 2: delete all the commas except the last one.
   In section 3: delete the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 8th commas.
   In section 5: delete the semicolon.

9. Amend Rule 1085:
   In section 2: delete the last comma.
   In section 3, in the example: delete the first comma.

10. Amend Rule 1086, section 2.b.: delete the last comma.

11. Amend Rule 1094, section 2:
    In the part before the lettered subsections, change
      "il-Nabi has one of the following moves" to
      "il-Nabi may move in any of the following ways"
    In subsection (a), delete the first two commas.
    In subsection (b), change "at" to "in".
    In subsection 8  (c), delete the 8 before the "(c)" in
      the subsection number, and change "at" to "in", and
      delete the comma after "SQ2".

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:18:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1128 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1128
  Proposal 1128 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:50 EDT 1996
  Periodic Bee
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

12 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  45 -> 54

12 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   4               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   2               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  54               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   4               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   44 -> 46           
  Mellon                                       15 -> 17           
  Pascal                                        6 -> 8            

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1128 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:50 EDT 1996
Periodic Bee
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 1022, by adding the following line to the end of the list
of Permissible Stingings in section 5a):

  "e) Adding a period at the end of a sentence when it is missing."

and in section 5b) item g), change "5a) section c)" to "5a)".

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:18:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1129 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1129
  Proposal 1129 - Sun Aug 18 23:29:19 EDT 1996
  Sensible Party Chess Economics
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

11 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  46 -> 55

11 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  55               
  Robin Hood                                  =   4               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   2               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  54               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   0               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                       17 -> 19           
  Wayne                  Underworld             4 -> 6            
  Pascal                                        8 -> 10           

1 PRESENT votes:
  breadbox                                     =   0

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1129 - Sun Aug 18 23:29:19 EDT 1996
Sensible Party Chess Economics
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 990, to replace all occurrances of  the string "M*5+10 A$" with
the string "M*7 + 1 A$"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:19:14 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1130 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1130
  Proposal 1130 - Sun Aug 18 23:29:51 EDT 1996
  Senate Seat Names
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

12 YES votes   1 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

snowgod gains 9 points.  -8 -> 1

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  55               
  Robin Hood                                  =   4               
  Mellon                                      =  19               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   1               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   6               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  54               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   6               
  Pascal                                      =  10               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  breadbox                                      0 -> 2            

1 PRESENT votes:
  ThinMan                Vulcan                =   2

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1130 - Sun Aug 18 23:29:51 EDT 1996
Senate Seat Names
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

               1) The Senate seat names, "Seat A", "Seat B", "Seat C", and
       "Seat D" are uninteresting. Senate seat names which contain the
       underscore character ('_') are also uninteresting.

               2) Upon passage of this proposal, each Senator will have 7 days
       to change the name of their seat to something that is not uninteresting,
       as defined by the rules.

               3) The chosen name must conform to the rules defined for Player
       names, with the exception that it is explicitly noted that a Senate seat
       name is not the same thing as a Player name.

               4) Once a name is chosen and announced publically, it is
permanent
       and may not be changed, even upon a new Senator filling the seat. If the
       Senate should somehow be dissolved and reformed, the seat names will be
       reused. If the new Senate has less seats than the old Senate, the
Speaker
       shall decide which names are reused. If the new Senate is larger,
the excess
       seats shall be given uninteresting names by the Speaker.

               5) Upon the filling of a vacant seat with an uninteresting
name,
       or upon the re-election to a seat with an uninteresting name, the
Senator
       will have 7 days to change the name something that is non
uninteresting, as
       per the clauses in this rule and elsewhere.

               6) Should an occupied seat ever have an uninteresting name as
       defined by the rules, and the occupying Senator is NOT within a 7 day
       period to change the name as defined by this rule, the term for that
seat
       ends immediately and an election for that seat is held using the
rules for
       doing so. This clause superceeds all mutable rules defining the term or
       termlessness of a Senate seat.

               7) Should a Senator go on vacation during a 7 day period to
change
       the name as defined by this rule, that 7 day period is automatically
       extended to 7 days past when the Senator returns from vacation.

{{[bringing back the oldies adjustment:]  snowgod loses 8 points, Malenkai
gains 8 points}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:51:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Scores & stuff

Much scorekeeperness:

1. I forgot to record Malenkai's penalty for retracting P1132.  This happened
during cycle 6, so the only result is that he had 2 points less at the end
of that cycle, and got A$2 less when the A$ were given out based on score
at the end of that cycle.  Financier, please note the change.

2. Proposals 1120-1129 were accepted.
The Brass Monkey climbed the tallest building in Acka Land and proclaimed:
   "The authors of the 10 consecutive proposals that were accepted shall 
    be awarded 5 bonus points."
Thus Malenkai scored 20 points and /dev/joe scored 30.

3. Proposals 1121-1130 were accepted.
The Brass Monkey climbed the tallest building in Acka Land and proclaimed:
   "The authors of the 10 consecutive proposals that were accepted shall 
    be awarded 5 bonus points."
Thus Malenkai scored 20 points and /dev/joe scored 25 and snowgod scored 5.
(Malenkai has a proposal up for vote to try to fix this problem.)

4. I recorded the score change in the temporary text in rule 1130.

5. Proposals 1120, 1124, 1126, 1128 (/dev/joe) and 1129 (Malenkai) were short
and get the +5 bonus.

6. Current scores:

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
129	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
108	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
19	Mellon               A   (Niklas Mellin)
10	Pascal               A   (Jason Reed) 
6	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
6	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
4	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
3	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
2	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
2	breadbox             A   (Brian Raiter)
1	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
1	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
0	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
0	Calvin N Hobbes     IV   (Thierry Joffrain)
0	De'ghew              V   (John Spickes) 
0	fon                  V   (Adrian Smith) 
0	mr cwm               V   (Eric Murray) 
0	Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -1	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
- -2	snowgod              V   (Phil Ackley) 
- -10	Geezer               A   (David Chapman)

Status: A=Active, N=New, V=Vacationing, IV=Involuntary Vacation, D=Dead

7. Geezer has been the gnome buddy for every proposal this cycle.

8. Nobody had exactly 76 points at any time this cycle.

/dev/joe
Scorekeeper

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:17:38 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Stuff

A few things:

1):

> 2) Upon passage of this proposal, each Senator will have 7 days
>    to change the name of their seat to something that is not
>    uninteresting, as defined by the rules.

Cool.

2) Given the transition in Registrar, I should point out a few things:
	1) snowgod went on ice yesterday
	2) we need to redistribute the magic potato

3) snowgod should get +A$2 for the electronic potato, and +2 points for
the magic potato (P 1130).  

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 18:45:12 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Senate Seat

I announce that my Senate seat is now known as Seven Freeze-Dried Otters.

this is not a name
Senator, Seven Freeze-Dried Otters

- --      Mike Epstein            "It is even harder for the 
      [email-masked]           average ape to believe that 
  *                      *       he has descended from man."
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/                 --H.L. Mencken

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:57:22 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 269 (Breadbox)

Pascal has declined, but has added comments.

Breadbox has been selected, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 269
  Subject: Harfy Paradox
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Pascal (declined to judge)
2nd Judge: Breadbox (selected Aug 26, 1996, 19:00h New York Time)

Statement:

It cannot be determined with finality whether the Harfmeister is permitted
to declare a proposal under consideration Harfy, if three other such
proposals are currently designated as Harfy.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

The reasoning is identical to that of CFJ 256, and CFJ 256's result
establishes game custom that these types of self-inconsistent rules are
paradoxes, and should be interpreted thusly.

The self-inconsistent sections from R 1112.1:

> The Harfmeister may designate proposals currently under consideration
> (in the voting queue) as Harfy, by publically announcing that he or
> she is doing so.

> No more than three proposals may be designated as Harfy at the same
> time.

The first sentence *allows* all proposals to be designated as Harfy,
provided the Harfmeister follows a prescribed procedure.

The second sentence, however, *prohibits* the Harfmeister from designating
certain proposals as Harfy.

Thus it is indeterminate.  We cannot tell which sentence is to have
precedence, just as we couldn't tell whether section (ii) or (iii) had
precedence in the old R 514, leaving the only possible rendering a
paradox, as was rendered in CFJ 256 (qv).

The parallels to CFJ 256 are stunning.  Section (ii) of R 514 *appeared*
to introduce a broad class of contracts which were enforceable, where
section (iii) *appeared* to introduce a qualifier to restrict the pool
of which contracts in (ii) were actually enforceable.  Beacause the
apparantly qualifiying section was not joined by "unless", "except if",
"and", or "otherwise", the paradox rendering was found "to be more
reasonable than the non-paradox reading".

R 1112.1 *appears*, in a sentence, to introduce broad conditions under
which a proposal may be declared Harfy, where the following sentence
*appears* to introduce a qualifier to restrict the pool of which proposals
may be declared Harfy.  Beacause the apparantly qualifiying sentence is
not joined by "unless", "except if", "and", or "otherwise", the paradox
rendering must be found "to be more reasonable than the non-paradox
reading".

CFJ 256 only showed the paradox for a subclass of contracts (Blue Cross
contracts), as this only shows the paradox for a subclass of proposals
(those in excess of three, or those by the Harfmeister (see below; I
didn't want to submit a second CFJ for that case, just as ThinMan
did not submit a second CFJ 256 for Silver Stripes)).

The fact that one is couched in prosiac sentences and the other in
sections should hold no sway whatsoever.  If it does, we've got bigger
problems.  All the section designations in the old R 514 do is add
whitespace.

I also point out another self-inconsistent section of the rule (proposals
submitted by the Harfmeister, alluded to above), which will arrive at the
same paradox:

> The Harfmeister may not designate his or her own proposals as Harfy

Upon a verdict of TRUE, the initiator will win in accordance with R 219.

Pascal's Comments:

Hrm. Although I really think the answer to this is FALSE, I'll have to
decline judgement; I'm not sure I know precedent and the rules well enough
to decide this one completely accurately.

To me, the first paragraph simply says _who_ can make proposals harfy and
_how_ e does; It is not a generalization, but two restrictions, and the next
paragraph is simply another, as well as the one disallowing
auto-harfydesignation.

That's just my reading of the rules, tho'...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:13:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Senate Seat Name

I am hereby naming my senate seat (formerly named Seat D): /dev/senate3

/dev/joe
Senator, /dev/senate3

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 19:17:09 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic

Now that snowgod is on ice, CFJ 265 has been outstanding for 2 weeks,
and our votes are due in Internomic soon, I will be taking votes on
Internomic proposals 303 thru 306.  Even if you sent your votes to
snowgod (that's you, Habeous Corpus), please send them to me again, 
because Netscape ate my mail from snowgod containing the votes (sorry).

The proposals can be found at
http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/zprop.htm

Malenkai
Acting Ambassador or Assistant Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 23:25:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe Vote

The voting on the authenticity of Phoebe's message as reported by
Techno is over.  The message was found to be bogus.

Aug 26 23:25 EDT: -12 Techno: Withholding Phoebe's wisdom
 
The votes were:

Phoebe would not say anything so crass
	this is not a name
	ThinMan
	Brinjal
	Habeous Corpus

Phoebe said much the same thing to me once
	Malenkai

Assistant Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 00:01:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Internomic (again)

The following was received on the InterNomic mailing list, the voting
results for InterNomic proposals 301 and 302.

Malenkai
Acting Ambassador
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposals 301 and 302 have both failed.
See below for the (sad) reason this is so...

                301             302
Fascist 14      FOR             FOR
Ackanomic       FOR             FOR
Thring          FOR             FOR
Agora           AGAINST         AGAINST

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Proposal 301
Proposed by Ackanomic
     Amend Rule 205 by changing it's complete text to:

     The voting period for a proposal shall be four weeks,
     beginning at the time the moderator distributes
     the proposal to all nomics, or until all voting member
     nomics have cast votes, whichever comes first.

Proposal 302
Proposed by Agora

     Amend rule 211 to read:
     In a conflict between an immutable rule and a mutable
     rule, the immutable rule takes precedence. If
     two or more immutable or to or more mutable rules
     conflict, the rule with the lower number takes
     precedence.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

These were good proposals, and I'm sad to say the reason that Agora
voted AGAINST them was NOT because the Agorans didn't like them,
but because (apparently) too few people cared about them.

In Agora the Proposals are put up to vote to the membership by the
Liaison. If on this vote most voting Players vote AGAINST the
proposal, Agora will do so. If most vote FOR, Agora will do so as
well. However, if the Quorum (50%) of the Players is not reached,
the vote fails as well, and the vote will be AGAINST again. This is
what happened on these Proposals: All 3 Voters were for, but they
should have been at least 5 to make them pass. Legislation to change
this has already been proposed, but is delayed due to internal
problems.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, there are no new proposals, and no judgements asked or
made.

Andre,
Moderator of InterNomic.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #195
*******************************