Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #193
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Sunday, August 25 1996        Volume 01 : Number 193

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:18:39 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 269 (Pascal)

Pascal has been selected, and has 3 days to accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 269
  Subject: Harfy Paradox
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Pascal (selected Aug 25, 1996, 13:18h New York Time)

Statement:

It cannot be determined with finality whether the Harfmeister is permitted
to declare a proposal under consideration Harfy, if three other such
proposals are currently designated as Harfy.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

The reasoning is identical to that of CFJ 256, and CFJ 256's result
establishes game custom that these types of self-inconsistent rules are
paradoxes, and should be interpreted thusly.

The self-inconsistent sections from R 1112.1:

> The Harfmeister may designate proposals currently under consideration
> (in the voting queue) as Harfy, by publically announcing that he or
> she is doing so.

> No more than three proposals may be designated as Harfy at the same 
> time.

The first sentence *allows* all proposals to be designated as Harfy,
provided the Harfmeister follows a prescribed procedure.

The second sentence, however, *prohibits* the Harfmeister from designating
certain proposals as Harfy.

Thus it is indeterminate.  We cannot tell which sentence is to have 
precedence, just as we couldn't tell whether section (ii) or (iii) had
precedence in the old R 514, leaving the only possible rendering a
paradox, as was rendered in CFJ 256 (qv).

The parallels to CFJ 256 are stunning.  Section (ii) of R 514 *appeared*
to introduce a broad class of contracts which were enforceable, where
section (iii) *appeared* to introduce a qualifier to restrict the pool
of which contracts in (ii) were actually enforceable.  Beacause the 
apparantly qualifiying section was not joined by "unless", "except if",
"and", or "otherwise", the paradox rendering was found "to be more
reasonable than the non-paradox reading".

R 1112.1 *appears*, in a sentence, to introduce broad conditions under
which a proposal may be declared Harfy, where the following sentence
*appears* to introduce a qualifier to restrict the pool of which proposals
may be declared Harfy.  Beacause the apparantly qualifiying sentence is
not joined by "unless", "except if", "and", or "otherwise", the paradox
rendering must be found "to be more reasonable than the non-paradox
reading".

CFJ 256 only showed the paradox for a subclass of contracts (Blue Cross
contracts), as this only shows the paradox for a subclass of proposals
(those in excess of three, or those by the Harfmeister (see below; I
didn't want to submit a second CFJ for that case, just as ThinMan
did not submit a second CFJ 256 for Silver Stripes)).

The fact that one is couched in prosiac sentences and the other in 
sections should hold no sway whatsoever.  If it does, we've got bigger
problems.  All the section designations in the old R 514 do is add 
whitespace.

I also point out another self-inconsistent section of the rule (proposals
submitted by the Harfmeister, alluded to above), which will arrive at the
same paradox:

> The Harfmeister may not designate his or her own proposals as Harfy 

Upon a verdict of TRUE, the initiator will win in accordance with R 219.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:30:17 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1160

Proposal 1160 - Sun Aug 25 13:30:17 EDT 1996
Closing the CFJ 256 paradox in general
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend Rule 210, "Resolving Conflicts", by adding the following to the end
of the first paragraph:

"If two statements in the same rule conflict with each other, and the
rule doesn't define a way to resolve the conflict, then the statement
which appears later in the rule takes precedence."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:31:07 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1161

Proposal 1161 - Sun Aug 25 13:31:07 EDT 1996
ammend R991
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

   This is a Modest proposal
   A proposal to ammend R991 in the following ways
 I. In section 2 J (ii) the words "the Number of Round counter" are replaced 
by the words "RoundCount"
II. In section 2 J (iii) the words "the Number of Round Counter" are 
replaced by the words "RoundCount"
{{[ This is the term used in Law of Party Gravity, without this change 
someone could probably make a case that said law does not work as intended]}}

II. In section 3 D (iv) the following text:
    "If two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously then the
     following procedure, called "Special DD-Turn", takes place:"
   
is replaced by the following text:
"If two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously then the procedure 
described in subsection (a)-(g) of this section is carried out. If the 
Chess-Umpire is one of the checked Swingers then an Asisstant 
Chess-Umpire is appointed and takes over the role of the Chess-Umpire for 
the duration of the Special DD-Turn. If the Special DD-Turn is followed 
by another Special DD-Turn, then the Assistant Chess-Umpire may continue 
to act in that capacity until that turn is resolved as well, unless he is 
a checked Swinger in that Special DD-Turn, in which case another 
Assistant Chess-Umpire is appointed in eir stead. In any case, Assistant 
Chess-Umpire should be chosen from among the Players who are not 
Swingers. If that is not possible, then a Swinger who is not checked can 
serve as an Assistant Chess-Umpire. If no registered Player can act as 
Assistant Chess-Umpire, then it is permissible for an observer to act in 
that capacity, pending eir agreement. If it is not possible to appoint an 
Assistant Chess-Umpire at all, then the an unresolved conflict is declared.
Once an Assistant Chess-Umpire is no longer needed, that is, a Special 
DD-Turn has ended and the following turn is a normal turn, the Assistant 
Chess-Umpire resigns, and the position ceases to exist until it is needed 
again."

{{[another solution would be to automate this procedure, this would take
sometime to implement, though, if I can make something like that work any
time soon, I'll add this possibility later]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:51:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1118 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1118
  Proposal 1118 - Thu Aug 15 00:40:18 EDT 1996
  Memoirs of an Acting Financier
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

9 YES votes   1 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  0 -> 9

9 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   9               
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Brinjal                                     =   0               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   0               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                        0 -> 2            

2 PRESENT votes:
  breadbox                                     =   0
  Pascal                                       =   0

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Techno                 Underworld           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1118 - Thu Aug 15 00:40:18 EDT 1996
Memoirs of an Acting Financier
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[so I have another long Proposal.  

I have made snowgod's RFC changes in making the lamb and wool sweater
mimsy.

This came about for several reasons:

I never knew if an entity was tradeable or saleable (because of protection,
things that common sense indicated were, weren't), and I just wanted
to say so in a rule, and inherit stuff.  I saw some problems  (a couple
of them serious) when I became acting Financier, and I wanted to fix
them.  And, I never seemed to know my account balance.

The following amendments attempt to fix the following problems:

1) Unambigiously define what Tradeable means, so a rule can specify
that an entity is tradeable, and inherit that structure.

2) Define the Financier's duties, and fix some problems with the FM.

3) Synchronize bond cycles to salaries (Monday 12N Eastern time).  End
of cycle does not kilter bond cycles.

4) Clean up some office/salary stuff.

5) Make cosmetic changes by explicitly using the term A$.  I have a
comment about that later.]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Amend R 482 as follows:

1) Change it title to "Office of the Financier and Free Market".

2) Amend it to read, in full:

I.  Financier

The Office of the Financier (OotF), or Financier, is a Functional
Office.

The duties of the Financier are:

        a) To maintain accurate records of all players' account
balances, and a log of all debits and credits to those balances.

        b) To maintain a list of balances and assets of all non-player
entities, such as the Treasury.

        c) To publish all account balances on at least a bi-weekly
basis, and to make the logs or balances available to any player upon
request.

        d) To maintain the Free Market (FM), and to verify any transaction
made there was made in accordance with the rules. The Financier is
responsible for overseeing the lawful functioning of any entity that
deals on, is related to, uses the FM, when using the FM. This includes
the authority to negotiate and resolve conflicts or disagreements between
such entities according to the rules, tradition, or to the best of his/her
judgement, in that order.

The priviledges of the Financier are:

        a) To appoint up to 2 assistants, to help in gathering, maintaining,
and publishing information pertaining to the above. These assistants
may resign.  These assistants are not "officiers", as the term is
generally used elsewhere in the rules.

        b) To receive the usual salary for a functional officer.

II.  Trading and the Free Market (FM)

     1) All entities are either Tradeable or non-Tradeable.

     2) An entity is Tradeable if and only if the rules specify that it
is, otherwise it is non-Tradeable.  The rules may specify specific
conditions or mechanisms for non-Tradeable entities to be traded or
transferred; this rule defers to any such rules where there is a
conflict.  Tradeable entities may only be transferred by methods
described in the rules.

     3) The FM is a bulletin board where players may post a desire to
make a trade, and is where a record of all trades are kept.

     4) Two players may trade a non-negative quantity of a Tradeable entity
for another non-negative quantity of another (or the same) Tradeable
entity on the FM, as described following. (If one of the quantities is
0, the trade may be specified as a "gift" or "donation" for convienence).

     5) Both players must consent to the trade, and must own sufficient
quanitity of the entity to fulfill their half of the trade.

     6) The trade is completed (unless it is deemed unlawful) by both
players posting their consent to the public forum, along with a description
of the trade.

     7) A record of the trade is recorded on the FM by the Financier.  If
the Financier determines that the trade is not in accordance with the
rules, it is deemed never to have happened.

     8) Other rules may specify other methods in which Tradeable entities
may be transferred, independent of the FM.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 480, "Creation of the AckaDollar" to replace the last sentence
of the rule with: "AckaDollars are tradeable".

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 481, "Creation of PF Bonds", to replace the last sentence of the
rule with: "PF Bonds are tradeable. They may not be broken into
fractional PF bonds."

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 567, "Tools V"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 786, "Gadgets", so that section (iii) reads:

"(iii) A Gadget has at most one owner. Gadgets are tradeable."

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 818, "Prosthetic Foreheads", to replace the first paragraph
with:

      "This rule creates a type of entity known as a Prosthetic Forehead.
There is an endless supply and an endless variety of Prosthetic Foreheads.
Prosthetic Foreheads are protected and tradeable."

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 891, "The Press", to replace all occurrances of
"Newspapers may be traded among players", with "Newspapers are tradeable".

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1018 "Hotels" to replace all occurrance of

"A Hotel is considered to be an asset [and therefore can be bought and
sold on the Free Market]."

with

"Hotels are tradeable."

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1023 "Auction" to make the following changes:

1) Replace section 1) a), which currently reads:

      "a) the item to be Auctioned, which must be unowned if the Rules
are calling for the Auction, and must be owned by the Player calling the
Auction if it is being called by a Player."

with:

      "a) the item to be Auctioned, which must be unowned if the Rules
are calling for the Auction, and must be a tradeable entity owned by the
Player calling the Auction if it is being called by a Player."

2) replace all occurrances of the term "currency" with the string "A$s".

3) replace all occurrances of the phrase "day of the week" with "day
of the month".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1036, "Rock, Creation of", to make the following changes:

1) Change the title of the rule to "Rock".

2) Add the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph: "The
rock is tradeable".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 962.1 "Twas Brillig", to add the following text after the
phrase "Brass Monkey":

 The Little Lamb
 Wool Sweaters

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[what follows are alot of cosmetic changes to the office, salary,
and money stuff.  I also replaced things like "official currency"
"currency", and "units of currency" with references to the A$
explicity.  In some cases this fixes a loophole.  As for the argument
that some could raise about this explicitness, I have the counter
argument, but not the bandwidth now.]}}

Amend R 510 in the following ways:

1) Change its title to "Tools I and II"

2) Amend it to read:

      No player may use more A$'s to buy, trade, give or in any way move
out of his account, than there are in his/her account at that moment in
time. In other words, a player may never voluntarily go into debt, but it
is possible that a player may go into debt involuntarily.

      If a player is in debt, that player continues to earn A$s from jobs,
yields, interests, donations, and selling or auctioning assets for currency.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 511, "Tools II"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 554, "Tammany", to replace the word "units" with the word "A$s"
in section (iv) c.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 565 "Tools III (b)" to read:

      "At the end of every two weeks, the PFs will yield a dividend to the
player owning them at that instant in time. The dividend of a single PF
will be calculated from the change in the score of the player the bond
was initially issued to. The dividend will be 1% of the change in the
issued player's score over that two weeks if his/her score went up.
Otherwise, it will yield an effective debt of -0.5% of the change in
score per PF. This yield will be credited or deducted from the PF owner's
account.

       The end of a two week cycle shall be Monday 12:00 EDT of the
appropriate week."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 569, "Overturning Judgements", to replace all occurrances of the
string "2 Ackadollars" with "A$2".

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 612, "Functional Offices, Commonalities" to replace section (ii)
a) to read as follows:

        "a) A$3 plus A$1 for every Funcitonal Office held."

{{[this fixes a nasty loophole where having one functional office gives
you salary for all non-functional offices you have.]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 615, "Speaker", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units"
with "A$10".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 609, "Offices, Commonalities", to replace section (v)
with the following:

      (v)   Salaries:

             If the Rules specify that a particular Officer is to
             be paid a salary in A$s periodically as one of the
             Privileges of Office, the payment happens every Monday
             at noon Eastern time, if the salary is weekly.

{{[this synchronizes bonds and salaries, to make it easier on the
financier.]}}

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 665, "Treasury and Hard Money", as follows:

1) In the section labelled "Hard Currency:", replace the string
"AckaDollars" with "A$" every time it appears in the last sentence of the
section.

2) In the section labelled "No Ackapennies:", replace the string
"AckaDollars" with "A$" every time it appears in the section.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 666, "End of Cycle", to replace item j) with the following:

      "j) Bond payments are reinstituted, as if all players' scores were
0 at the end of the previous bond cycle."

{{[this keeps bond yields synchronized]}}
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 710, "Criminal Justice", to make the following changes, in the
order listed:

1) replace all occurrances of the string "20 units of currency" with
"A$20".

2) replace all occurrances of the string "units of currency" with
"A$".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 712, "Gaoler", to replace all occurrances of the string "currency"
with "A$s".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1018, "Hotels", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units
of the official currency" with "A$10".
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1046, "Baaa", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units
of the official currency" with "A$10".
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:55:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1119 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1119
  Proposal 1119 - Thu Aug 15 17:30:59 EDT 1996
  Bob
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

4 YES votes   8 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 9 points.  0 -> -9

4 YES votes:  1 point each
  Mellon                                        2 -> 3            
  Brinjal                                       0 -> 1            
  snowgod                (None Yet)            -9 -> -8           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             0 -> 1            

8 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   9               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   0               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   0               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   0               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =   0

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Techno                 Underworld           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      
===============================
The Tammany was bribed by two different players.  
ThinMan and this is not a name each bribed in the amount of A$25.
Thinman bribed for a NO, while tinan bribed for a YES.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:56:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1120 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1120
  Proposal 1120 - Thu Aug 15 20:45:06 EDT 1996
  Portrait Sanity
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

11 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  0 -> 9

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   0               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   0               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   9               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   0               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                    9 -> 11           
  Mellon                                        3 -> 5            

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Techno                 Underworld           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1120 - Thu Aug 15 20:45:06 EDT 1996
Portrait Sanity
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend Rule 1096 by replacing the 1st sentence of the second paragraph with:
"This gallery shall be linked to the Official Ackanomic Web Page and must
 contain a portrait of every player who has submitted one.  The Web-Harfer
 may resize potraits in order to keep them uniform."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:57:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1121 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1121
  Proposal 1121 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:11 EDT 1996
  Sponging cheap points before Modesty passes
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

10 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  11 -> 20

10 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  20               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   0               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   9               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   0               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Robin Hood                                    0 -> 2            
  Mellon                                        5 -> 7            

2 PRESENT votes:
  breadbox                                     =   0
  Pascal                                       =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Techno                 Underworld           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1121 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:11 EDT 1996
Sponging cheap points before Modesty passes
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 396, "Office of Promoter", to read in full:

      The Office of the Promoter is a Functional Office. The Duties of the
Promoter are: 

            (a) to accept proposal submissions from players, and to,
            (b) assign the proposal a number and distribute it for voting.

A proposal by a Player shall be made by submitting it to the Promoter.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 612, "Functional Offices, Commonalities", to add the following
paragraph after the first sentence:

An Office is a Functional Office if and only if the Rules specify it as
such.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:57:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1122 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1122
  Proposal 1122 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:27 EDT 1996
  Election Year Tax Cut
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

8 YES votes   3 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  20 -> 29

8 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  29               
  Robin Hood                                  =   2               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   9               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   0               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                        7 -> 9            
  ThinMan                Vulcan                 0 -> 2            
  Habeous Corpus                                0 -> 2            

2 PRESENT votes:
  breadbox                                     =   0
  Pascal                                       =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Techno                 Underworld           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1122 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:27 EDT 1996
Election Year Tax Cut
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 666, "End of Cycle", so that section e) reads in full:

      e) If the amount of A$s in circulation exceeded the amount in the 
Treasury at the time this winner was declared, the following shall
occur: 20% (round down) of each Player's A$ balance is transferred to
the Treasury. The winner shall pay only 10% (round down), however. Each
Undead stops haunting 20% (rounded down) of the A$ it is haunting.

{{[I noticed that when I was acting Financier, we are still in an
artificial deflationary senario.  This will fix it, at least for now.
I purposely decoupled this from the "Memoirs" fix, however.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:57:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1123 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1123
  Proposal 1123 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:52 EDT 1996
  Whitespace Harfer
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

10 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  29 -> 38

10 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  38               
  Robin Hood                                  =   2               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   2               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   9               
  breadbox                                    =   0               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                        9 -> 11           
  Habeous Corpus                                2 -> 4            
  Wayne                  Underworld             0 -> 2            

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Techno                 Underworld           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1123 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:52 EDT 1996
Whitespace Harfer
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 411, "Office of the Web-Harfer", to add the following text after
sub-section a) of the Priviledges section:

	b) To add whitespace and line breaks to the rules.  The Web-Harfer
should consider all player requests to do so.

{{[for people like me who cannot read some of the more densely written
rules.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 13:58:20 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1124 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1124
  Proposal 1124 - Sat Aug 17 15:14:01 EDT 1996
  Party Chess is Delayed Another Week
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 14 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

11 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  9 -> 18

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   2               
  Brinjal                                     =   1               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   2               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   1               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  -8               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   4               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  18               
  breadbox                                    =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   2               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                   38 -> 40           
  Mellon                                       11 -> 13           

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Techno                 Underworld           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
  Geezer                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1124 - Sat Aug 17 15:14:01 EDT 1996
Party Chess is Delayed Another Week
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rules 1079, 1080, 1082, 1083, 1085, 1086, 1087, and 1094.
In each of the above rules' titles, change "Creation of PartyChessPiece"
to "Creation of a PartyChessPiece"
{{[ Read Rule 990 section 3.A.ii. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 13:48:26 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Awards

Malenkai, who only recently received a Gold Stripe and lost his Right-Handed
Grapefruit (though he is attempting to win it back), makes another walk up
to the stage and I award him a Silver Stripe after his 70th proposal passed.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:21:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Spelling Bee

The Spelling Bee is Flying!

In Rule 612, section (ii)(a), change "Funcitonal" to "Functional".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:35:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Spelling Bee

The Bee keeps on Flying, and Flying, and Flying...

In Rule 1096, change "potraits" to "portraits".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:25:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Awards

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> Malenkai, who only recently received a Gold Stripe and lost his Right-Handed
> Grapefruit (though he is attempting to win it back), makes another walk up
> to the stage and I award him a Silver Stripe after his 70th proposal passed.

My attempt to win it back is an attempt to inspire legislation (or 
rather, common sense), like P 1160, which appeared after I submitted
my CFJ.  I'm spooked by P 1160, but we should probably adopt it.

Seeing as ThinMan was given his win after contracts were repealed,  I see
no reason why I cannot be given mine after P 1160 passes, given the 
typical delays on CFJs lately.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 16:50:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Stripe

I am awarding /dev/joe a silver stripe for P 1124.  The crowd which
is not on vacation goes wild.  

Party Chess is now playable, beyond any doubt, except that Robin Hood is
the only one with pieces.  I guess everyone else is waiting for the
potential price change (P 1129) ?

If P 1129 passes, I will propose a refund of the difference for Robin
Hood's pieces.

Malenkai
ProConsul
Clueless
one of these days is gonna have a longer .signature file than snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 00:10:34 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Stripe

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> I am awarding /dev/joe a silver stripe for P 1124.  The crowd which
> is not on vacation goes wild.  
> 
> Party Chess is now playable, beyond any doubt, except that Robin Hood is
> the only one with pieces.  I guess everyone else is waiting for the
> potential price change (P 1129) ?
> 

Or perhaps everyone is taking their time. tinan has in fact anounced the
game, and the Swingers are currently picking their pieces.
Whether or not Robin Hood's purchase was legal is debatable, because until
a couple of messages ago, there no rules that conformed to the description
of PartyChessPieceDef rules. The recent title change changed that.
Whether or not the sale was legal, Robin Hood is not a Swinger and
therefore cannot own any pieces, the pieces he purchased are the property
of the office of eir Swinger, which I believe should be the NAP Swinger
(Robin Hood is non-aligned, isn't he?)

I suppose we'd need a CFJ to decide the legality of that purchase, either
way, while I may still have that message,  Robin, could you please send a
copy to tinan and myself as well.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 00:22:20 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Chess

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Uri Bruck wrote:

> 
> 
> On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > I am awarding /dev/joe a silver stripe for P 1124.  The crowd which
> > is not on vacation goes wild.  
> > 
> > Party Chess is now playable, beyond any doubt, except that Robin Hood is
> > the only one with pieces.  I guess everyone else is waiting for the
> > potential price change (P 1129) ?
> > 
> 
> Or perhaps everyone is taking their time. tinan has in fact anounced the
> game, and the Swingers are currently picking their pieces.

So far tinan has only anounced the game to the Swingers, while this has
not been mandated, I suggest tinan anounce the fact he has anounced to the
rest of ackanomia as well, there might be players, and observers who wish
to be spectators in the game.

(any day now tinan, any day :)

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 Aug 96 17:33:32 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silver Chess

>So far tinan has only anounced the game to the Swingers, while this has
>not been mandated, I suggest tinan anounce the fact he has anounced to the
>rest of ackanomia as well, there might be players, and observers who wish
>to be spectators in the game.

Sure, why not.

I have begun the process of soliciting the Swingers' choices of which 5 
pieces they want. Anyone who wishes to observe is welcome. It's really 
not that interesting yet, though.

(/dev/joe, how about making a mailing list of swingers and observers for 
Chess if you get a chance?)

- --      Mike Epstein            
      [email-masked]          An eye for an eye
  *                      *      leaves the whole world blind.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #193
*******************************