Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #186
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Tuesday, August 20 1996       Volume 01 : Number 186

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 0:16:35 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1133

Proposal 1133 - Tue Aug 20 00:16:35 EDT 1996
Burn 'em All
Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Amend Rule 729 by deleting the fifth (5th) paragraph.

{{[proposer's note:  It's time that another of Malenkai's Loopholes was
closed.  All this paragraph does is allow Malenkai and eir heretical
cronies to get away with saying anything ey wish without fear of the
consequences.  Let's put an end to legalised Heresy!]}}

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 0:16:21 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1132

Proposal 1132 - Tue Aug 20 00:16:21 EDT 1996
Fixing a Loophole I almost Surfed but thought better of
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 824, "Consecutive Passages", to read in full:

      If 10 or more consecutive proposals are accepted, the Brass
Monkey shall climb the tallest building in Acka Land and proclaim --

      "The authors of the consecutive proposals that were accepted shall
be awarded 5 bonus points."
      
      After this proclamation, the Scorekeeper shall increment the
scores of each author of a proposal in the consecutive streak by 5 points
for each proposal accepted in that streak, with a maximum of 15 points
per distinct author.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 01:15:35 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1132

>      After this proclamation, the Scorekeeper shall increment the
>scores of each author of a proposal in the consecutive streak by 5 points
>for each proposal accepted in that streak, with a maximum of 15 points
>per distinct author.

This just opens another loophole. Any author of a proposal will get 15 
points, whether that player wrote 1 proposal or 10. "5 points for _each 
proposal_ accepted in that streak"

- --      Mike Epstein            "Humor is, I think, the subtlest and 
      [email-masked]           chanciest of literary forms. It is
  *                      *       surely not accidental that there are a
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/    thousand novelists, essayists, poets or
                                 journalists for each humorist. It is a
                   long, long time between James Thurbers." --Leo Rosten

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 01:24:53 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1132

this is not a name wrote:
> 
> >      After this proclamation, the Scorekeeper shall increment the
> >scores of each author of a proposal in the consecutive streak by 5 points
> >for each proposal accepted in that streak, with a maximum of 15 points
> >per distinct author.
> 
> This just opens another loophole. Any author of a proposal will get 15
> points, whether that player wrote 1 proposal or 10. "5 points for _each
> proposal_ accepted in that streak"

A small loophole compared to what is there under the customary 
interpretation.  I was about to get about 400 or more until /dev/joe
started stealing (unknowingly, of course), proposals from my
personal queue.  I should have done it anyway :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:39:48 +0200
From: Niklas Mellin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1132

this is not a name wrote:
> 
> >      After this proclamation, the Scorekeeper shall increment the
> >scores of each author of a proposal in the consecutive streak by 5 points
> >for each proposal accepted in that streak, with a maximum of 15 points
> >per distinct author.
> 
> This just opens another loophole. Any author of a proposal will get 15
> points, whether that player wrote 1 proposal or 10. "5 points for _each
> proposal_ accepted in that streak"

What was the original loop hole? That each player in the streak gets 5
points no matter how many proposals he was behind in the streak?

There is also another problem with this rule: What happens if 11 consecutive
proposals are accepted, will the authors of proposal 2-10 in the streak get
double bonus?

Mellon,
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 00:57:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1108 Passes

>   Proposal 1108 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:59 EDT 1996
>   Locations
>   Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> Proposal PASSES

> {{8) All players who are not currently in the Gaol or a Hotel are moved to
> their Home.  This clause takes precedence over all other mutable rules.}}

I know of no players who were in the Gaol or a Hotel at the time this
rule came into effect (though some were in the Afterlife) so everybody is
now in their home.

The new Map is up, with all the resized and new buildings, and Techno's new
name for his house.

Whose duty is it to keep track of the locations of players?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 09:55:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1129

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1129 - Sun Aug 18 23:29:19 EDT 1996
> Sensible Party Chess Economics
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> Amend R 990, to replace all occurrances of  the string "M*5+10 A$" with
> the string "M*7 + 1 A$"
> 
> 
> 
>
 I voted for this one. The multiplier make sense, although I might have
preffered  a larger 'base' number.  This raises the cost of everything
with material value 5 and higher, and lower the cost on allother pieces.
If pawns were cheap before, they're dirt cheap now.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 03:48:23 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Looking back

The proposal archive is a great thing; I'm glad Robert Sevin (while he was
the Web-Harfer) preserved all those proposals back to the beginning of the
game.

In the early days, lots of silly mistakes were made. Seven of the first
ten proposals were found to be invalid because they tried to do more than
one thing (like adding a new rule and amending a rule, or transmuting an
immutable rule and amending it, etc.) and one tried to amend an immutable
rule.  The remaining two proposals of the first ten passed, and created
rules that exist today (consecutive NO votes and the magic potato).

Proposal 319 is another good example of a mistake:

  I propose that the following rule become immutable, and thus able to be
  altered.

  103. What Is A Rule Change?
  [text of R103 deleted]

Thus, there were attempts to set up the process of revising or retracting
proposals from the very beginning.

Proposal 317 was the first such attempt; it would have allowed a player
to retract a proposal as long as the its voting period had not expired
and it did not already have enough votes to make it pass if everybody
else voted for it or to make it fail if everybody else voted against it,
but with a penalty of twice the points for having a proposal rejected.
At least, this is what was intended, but the proposal horribly confused
rules and proposals, which may have been part of the reason it was
rejected.

Proposal 321 was the next attempt; it was similar to the actual rule
we had for a while which allowed for proposals to be revised, except
it simply let the speaker (who had the job of handling proposals in
those days) decide whether the revision was valid.

Proposal 363 was the next attempt at defining proposal revisions, which
is very much like the version which eventually passed.

Proposals 421 and 423 passed, and respectively created the proposal
revision and retraction processes.

There were also many attempts to make a class of Harfy Rules.  This
idea was recently brought back to life by snowgod, who, unlike Robert
Sevin, was able to get a proposal containing the word "Harfy" to pass.

Proposal 301 included (as one of its multiple changes which made it
invalid), this new rule (and then tried to make it harfy):

  Harfy Rules: A harfy rule is a rule that cannot be amended, or altered
  in any way, unless the new rule is more complex (to be judged by the
  Speaker) and generally is more confusing and silly (again, judged by the
  Speaker). A harfy rule, once harfy, can never be made unharfy unless a
  proposal containing the following phrase '12 ducks and mongoose named
  Larry' is voted on and passes unanimously." 

Proposal 303 tried to allow non-players to make proposals, and to win the
game under some complicated conditions which involve harfy rules, and then
make Rule 218 immutable after the amendment.

Proposal 307 tried to add the requirement that there must always be at
least one harfy rule to Rule 112, in addition to several other changes.

Proposal 330 just tried to make a rule defining harfy rules as in
proposal 301.

Proposal 332 was the same as 303 but without the immutability bit.

First appearance of some other concepts (note that almost all the proposals
listed here failed):

Proposal 307 contained the first attempt to change the number of points
  scored on proposals.
Proposal 308 was the first attempt to create "Keep 'Em in the Game".
Proposal 316 was the first attempt to limit the number of proposals
  a player can make.
Proposals 323 (voting record), 346 (including proposal text in vote results),
  and 348 (current rules) are early attempts at assigning a duty to keep
  publicly available records.
Proposal 350 is the first appearance of a concept similar to the Holiday
  we have now.
Proposal 352 is the first attempt to encourage shorter proposals.
Proposal 354 is the first attempt to award a bonus for palindromic
  proposals.
Proposal 356 is the first attempt to have players adopt pseudonyms for
  playing Ackanomic.
Proposal 358 (called "Vote or I'll kick your ass....") is the first
  attempt to penalize non-voting players.
Proposal 359 is the first attempt to punish rule violations.
Proposal 360 is the first attempt to legislate something like RFC's.
Proposal 381 was the first bribing proposal.
Proposal 382 was the first attempt to ban bribing proposals.
Proposal 428 was the first attempt to introduce something like protection.
Proposal 454 was the first attempt to create currency.
Proposal 460 was the first attempt to create somthing like the A$, bonds,
  etc. like we have today.  The A$, bonds, bond dividends, financier,
  and financial market are all in this one proposal, making it one of
  the longest proposals up to this time.
Proposal 465 was the first attempt to repeal the Voting Gnome.
Proposal 533 was the first attempt to set up game cycles.
Proposal 546 is the first appearance of the Right-Handed Grapefruit and
  Chartreuse Goose Egg.
Proposal 557 is the first attempt to give a player a special power to
  change the rules for the purpose of cleaning them up.

Some players like using titles or popular lines from songs, books, TV,
movies, etc. as proposal or rule titles.  Sometimes there are more
references to the same thing in the rule; other times it's just a cute
and usually appropriate name.  Here are the examples of this that I found:

Proposal 505: There Can Be Only One
Proposal 556: So, you say you want a Revolution?
Proposal 582: Life, the Universe, and Everything
Proposal 643: I Pity The Fool...
Proposal 644: Hungry Hungry Hippo
Proposal 706: Coke Is It
Proposals 752-759: Gnomes, Elves, Orks, Black Riders, etc.
Proposal 818: Prosthetic Foreheads
Proposal 823: The Brass Monkey
Proposal 889: Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Good Bye
Proposal 898: Ack! Pfffft!
Proposal 959: Magic Monday (oh wait, that was _Manic_ Monday. :-)
Rule 962.2: Twas Brillig
Proposal 964: Night of the Living Dead
Proposal 979: Amnesty is Granted
Proposal 1000: Get Out of Gaol (otzma card type)
Proposal 1030: Voodoo Economics
Proposal 1036: Rock, Creation of (creates A Rock To Wind A String Around)
Proposal 1056: I Should Be Allowed to Think
Proposal 1101: I Returned a Bag of Groceries Accidentally Taken Off the
  Shelf Before the Expiration Date

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 03:00:53 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Portraits 

I have created a web page for Portraits-R-Us, my portrait creation business.

The adress is http://www.alaska.net/~snowgod/acka/portrait.html

Remember, I will you custom create a portrait for you for only A$25.  But
please consider stopping by, even if you are not interested in procuring my
services.  I have created several "Null Portraits" that may be used by any
player while composing portraits of their own.

[BTW, in case you are wondering... My plane was delayed with mechanical
difficulties, so I am still here.  Not for long, though... I hope]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 03:01:01 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Looking back 

>The proposal archive is a great thing; I'm glad Robert Sevin (while he was
>the Web-Harfer) preserved all those proposals back to the beginning of the
>game.
>

I'd like to thank /dev/joe for composing this wonderful history lesson.
Perhaps our historian can include it in the next incarnation of the history
page [coming soon, i hope].

Please feel free to post more like this, /dev/joe!!!

snowgod
vacationing president

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:41:52 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1132

Niklas Mellin wrote:
> 
> this is not a name wrote: 
> There is also another problem with this rule: What happens if 11 consecutive
> proposals are accepted, will the authors of proposal 2-10 in the streak get
> double bonus?
> 

Thats the loophole.  Furthermore, a CFJ determined that 5 points are
awarded for *each* proposal, even if is is the same author.  Figure it
with 14 in a row passing.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:43:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1108 Passes

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 

> Whose duty is it to keep track of the locations of players?

The answer is found in the rule entitled "What a thankless job" :(

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 08:46:38 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1129

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 

>  I voted for this one. The multiplier make sense, although I might have
> preffered  a larger 'base' number.  This raises the cost of everything
> with material value 5 and higher, and lower the cost on allother pieces.
> If pawns were cheap before, they're dirt cheap now.

This came about when I figured the cost of Robin Hood's chess pieces 
when I was acting financier.  Pawns were A$15, and the il-Nabi was
A$45, I believe.  The il-Nabi, however has a material value of 7
versus 1 for the pawn.

3 times as much for a piece 7 times as powerful (in theory).  Why would
you ever buy pawns?  I don't think my fix goes far enough, actually.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 16:04:20 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1129

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> > 
> 
> >  I voted for this one. The multiplier make sense, although I might have
> > preffered  a larger 'base' number.  This raises the cost of everything
> > with material value 5 and higher, and lower the cost on allother pieces.
> > If pawns were cheap before, they're dirt cheap now.
> 
> This came about when I figured the cost of Robin Hood's chess pieces 
> when I was acting financier.  Pawns were A$15, and the il-Nabi was
> A$45, I believe.  The il-Nabi, however has a material value of 7
> versus 1 for the pawn.
> 
> 3 times as much for a piece 7 times as powerful (in theory).  Why would
> you ever buy pawns?  I don't think my fix goes far enough, actually.
> 
> Malenkai
>
A think 7 as a multipliter is far. Consider that the (failed) Queen was
supposed to have a material value of 12, although at least one player felt
the material value was too low. When I worked out the material values for
the existing pieces, I estimated that powerful pieces, (perhaps ones that
have the distance limitation) would probably reach 15, perhaps a little
more. Under you scheme this comes to over A$100 for a single piece, which
is quite appropriate for powerful pieces.

As long as we keep it linear, a multiplier of 7, or 8, seems like a good
idea.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:50:57 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: RFC: Furtherly Harfishness. 

Ok. This time, since I seem to be getting an utter deluge of commentary on
the prop (warning: floor may be slippery due to dripping sarcasm), I'm
really proposing it. However, I'm not sure where to send it (list or
specific person) since I haven't proposed anything in ages. I figure if I
post it to the list, it'll eventually get where it should, but if that
isn't the proper way of doing things, someone please nag me. (I would have
just looked at the web pages weren't they down...)

- ---------
Proposal:
- ---------

The Language Harfish:

Create a rule, entitled 'Harfish Linguistics', with text:

There exists a language known as Harfish, spoken as a native language by
the nomads that wander the Wilds of Ackanomia. The portions of this rule
following the headings 'The Grammar of Harfish:' and 'The Vocabulary of
Harfish:', respectively, describe its syntax and words.

If a proposal passes which amends either or both of such sections, and does
not only remove text, its proposer shall receive a 5 point bonus in
addition to any other penalties or rewards for the passage of that reward.

{{[I'm not sure what to put here for the initial grammar and vocab, if
anything... what's there is just tossing out of ideas.]}}

The Grammar of Harfish:

Harfish is both a written and spoken language, although its written form is
not used very often in comparison. Modern Harfish uses a portion of the
roman alphabet, and in most cases, each letter corresponds to a single
sound and vice-versa.

The consonants h, d, g, t, k, l, r, m, n, s, z are pronounced as in english
(although the g is always hard)
b is a bilabial voiced fricative, a sound roughly between the english b and v.
p, similarly, is a bilabial unvoiced fricative, similar to english p and f.
c is the 'ts' in 'tsunami' [I think there is a similar phoneme in italian,
but I'm not sure what it is...]
x is a guttural fricative, similar to the 'ch' in 'loch'.

the vowels of Harfish are:

a: the 'o' in english 'hot'
e: the 'e' in english 'left
i: the 'ea' in english 'mean'
j: semivowel, english 'y' in 'yes'
o: the 'o' in english 'don't'
u: the 'oo' in english 'boot'
'a' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by '@': the 'a' in
'at', and perhaps, the first 'a' in 'ackanomic'.
'e' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by a single quote: the
unstressed 'o' in 'lemon'.
'u' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by 'w': the first 'w'
in 'wow'.

dipthongs:

aw: 'ow' in 'how'
ew: Somewhat like harfish 'eu', only faster and monosyllabic
aj: the 'ie' in english 'lie'
ej: the 'ay' in english 'lay'
oj: the 'oy' in english 'toy'
uj: the 'ui' in latin 'huic', similar to the sound in english 'gooey', only
faster and monosyllabic

Stress falls always on the penultimate syllable of a word.

The Vocabulary of Harfish:

M'-: prefix, Forms the opposite of the word it is attatched to. E.g.
M'harpi: Stupid, inelegant, dry, boring, not merely unharfy but antiharfy.

Mu-: prefix, Not, in some cases equivalent to english un- or in-. Indicates
lack of a quality, but not necessarily its opposite. E.g. Muharpi:
uninteresting, marginally adequate, mediocre, obvious.

Mu: adv., No, not.

Harpi: adj., Good, interesting, clever, harfy.

Hje: adv., yes.

[Changed some stuff with alphabet and vocab]

- ---Pascal---
Wearing A Silly Vacation Hat.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 10:50:15 -0500
From: Jason Reed <[email-masked]>
Subject: [none]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 19:53:30 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RFC: Furtherly Harfishness.

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Jason Reed wrote:

> Ok. This time, since I seem to be getting an utter deluge of commentary on
> the prop (warning: floor may be slippery due to dripping sarcasm), I'm
> really proposing it. However, I'm not sure where to send it (list or
> specific person) since I haven't proposed anything in ages. I figure if I
> post it to the list, it'll eventually get where it should, but if that
> isn't the proper way of doing things, someone please nag me. (I would have
> just looked at the web pages weren't they down...)
> 
The proper person to send it to is Wayne

One comment, which I might have made earlier had I not been RFCs at the
time :)
You've got grammar and vocabulary mixed up.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 13:27:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1134

Proposal 1134 - Tue Aug 20 13:27:15 EDT 1996
Mootability
Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Transmute Rule 108 to mutable.

- ---------------
{{This proposal is specifically exempt from the following conditions:}}

Ammend Rule 108 by adding the following paragraph:

Proposal containing changes to the mutability of Rules may not have any
other changes,  conditions,  effects,  or reference to any other Rule
except as noted in this Section.  If changing the mutability of a Rule
will result in a conflict of precedence,  the Proposal changing the
mutability may direct the precedence and/or deference of the changed Rule
to reflect the previous condition.
- ----------------

Transmute Rule 108 to Immutable.
- ---------------

{{[Author's note:  This is intended to strengthen Immutability. 
Currently,  as this Proposal demonstrates,  the only effect classifying a
Rule as Immutable has is to resolve Precedence problems. With this
ammendment,  if a Player wishes to change an Immutable Rule's wording or
intent,  e must take the time required to vote on seperaste Proposals, 
two to change the mutability,  and one for the change itself.  A sure as
cows eat grass, e must also be prepared to vote on competing Proposals
once the mutability is changed.]}}

Respectfully submitted,

Habeous Corpus
<A radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air. - FDR>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 13:28:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1135

Proposal 1135 - Tue Aug 20 13:28:15 EDT 1996
Harfish Linguistics
Pascal  (Jason Reed)

Create a rule, entitled 'Harfish Linguistics', with text:

There exists a language known as Harfish, spoken as a native language by
the nomads that wander the Wilds of Ackanomia. The portions of this rule
following the headings 'The Grammar of Harfish:' and 'The Vocabulary of
Harfish:', respectively, describe its syntax and words.

If a proposal passes which amends either or both of such sections, and does
not only remove text, its proposer shall receive a 5 point bonus in
addition to any other penalties or rewards for the passage of that reward.

{{[I'm not sure what to put here for the initial grammar and vocab, if
anything... what's there is just tossing out of ideas.]}}

The Grammar of Harfish:

Harfish is both a written and spoken language, although its written form is
not used very often in comparison. Modern Harfish uses a portion of the
roman alphabet, and in most cases, each letter corresponds to a single
sound and vice-versa.

The consonants h, d, g, t, k, l, r, m, n, s, z are pronounced as in english
(although the g is always hard)
b is a bilabial voiced fricative, a sound roughly between the english b and v.
p, similarly, is a bilabial unvoiced fricative, similar to english p and f.
c is the 'ts' in 'tsunami' [I think there is a similar phoneme in italian,
but I'm not sure what it is...]
x is a guttural fricative, similar to the 'ch' in 'loch'.

the vowels of Harfish are:

a: the 'o' in english 'hot'
e: the 'e' in english 'left
i: the 'ea' in english 'mean'
j: semivowel, english 'y' in 'yes'
o: the 'o' in english 'don't'
u: the 'oo' in english 'boot'
'a' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by '@': the 'a' in
'at', and perhaps, the first 'a' in 'ackanomic'.
'e' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by a single quote: the
unstressed 'o' in 'lemon'.
'u' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by 'w': the first 'w'
in 'wow'.

dipthongs:

aw: 'ow' in 'how'
ew: Somewhat like harfish 'eu', only faster and monosyllabic
aj: the 'ie' in english 'lie'
ej: the 'ay' in english 'lay'
oj: the 'oy' in english 'toy'
uj: the 'ui' in latin 'huic', similar to the sound in english 'gooey', only
faster and monosyllabic

Stress falls always on the penultimate syllable of a word.

The Vocabulary of Harfish:

M'-: prefix, Forms the opposite of the word it is attatched to. E.g.
M'harpi: Stupid, inelegant, dry, boring, not merely unharfy but antiharfy.

Mu-: prefix, Not, in some cases equivalent to english un- or in-. Indicates
lack of a quality, but not necessarily its opposite. E.g. Muharpi:
uninteresting, marginally adequate, mediocre, obvious.

Mu: adv., No, not.

Harpi: adj., Good, interesting, clever, harfy.

Hje: adv., yes.

[Changed some stuff with alphabet and vocab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 13:44:17 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1115 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1115
  Proposal 1115 - Tue Aug 13 14:37:54 EDT 1996
  Phoebe for President!
  Bascule  (Matt Black)

Quorum met : 15 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

5 YES votes   9 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Bascule loses 9 points.  3 -> -6

5 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                    3 -> 4            
  Mellon                                        0 -> 1            
  Bascule                FUN                   -6 -> -5           
  snowgod                (None Yet)             1 -> 2            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             3 -> 4            

9 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   9               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  26               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   1               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   1               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   6               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   4               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =   0

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 19:40:25 +0200
From: Niklas Mellin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: RFC: Furtherly Harfishness.

Jason Reed wrote:
>
> The Language Harfish:
> 
> The Grammar of Harfish:
> 
> Harfish is both a written and spoken language, although its written form is
> not used very often in comparison. Modern Harfish uses a portion of the
> roman alphabet, and in most cases, each letter corresponds to a single
> sound and vice-versa.
> 
> The consonants h, d, g, t, k, l, r, m, n, s, z are pronounced as in english
> (although the g is always hard)
> b is a bilabial voiced fricative, a sound roughly between the english b and v.
> p, similarly, is a bilabial unvoiced fricative, similar to english p and f.
> c is the 'ts' in 'tsunami' [I think there is a similar phoneme in italian,
> but I'm not sure what it is...]
> x is a guttural fricative, similar to the 'ch' in 'loch'.

[etc, etc]

What is going on here? Why are you describing the Swedish language, and why
do you call it Harfish? :-)

- ---
Mellon,
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 13:46:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1116 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1116
  Proposal 1116 - Tue Aug 13 14:39:25 EDT 1996
  The Law of Party Gravity
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 15 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

8 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  26 -> 35

8 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   4               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  35               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   2               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   1               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =   1               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   6               

4 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                    9 -> 11           
  Mellon                                        1 -> 3            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)             4 -> 6            
  Wayne                  Underworld             4 -> 6            

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =   0

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1116 - Tue Aug 13 14:39:25 EDT 1996
The Law of Party Gravity
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
   
     a proposal to create a rule entitled "The Law of Party Gravity" which
     contains the following text:
     "
     1.
      a. Each Swinger has a SwingScore. 
      b. When ever Swingers' Weights are recalculated, their scores are 
         incremented in the following manner:
         (i) The SwingScore of the Swinger with the highest Absolute 
             Weight is incremented by 3
         (ii) The SwingScore of the Swinger with the second highest 
              Absolute Weight is incremented by 2
         (iii) The SwingScore of the Swinger with the third highest Absolute 
               Weight is incremented by 1
     
     2. SwingVotes
     a. When ever the Round Count is incremented to a number that, when
     divided by RoundFreq, results in an integer, SwingVotes are
     distributed according to the following scheme
     The number of SwingVotes received by each Swinger=
     the largest integer smaller than 
     [(the Swinger's SwingScore / (RoundFreq * number of Swingers)) +0.4]
     
     b. After SwingVotes were given to Swingers, all SwingScores are  
      reset to 0 (zero)
     c. SwingVotes may only be created or destroyed as described in this
     rule.

     d. SwingVotes may be sold, traded, or given away. Parties may
     regulate the way in which the SwingVotes owned by their Swinger are
     sold, traded or given away.
     
     e. The NAP Swinger may only sell, trade, or give away SwingVotes to
     non-aligned players.

     f.(i) A player who owns a SwingVote may cast it for or against a
     proposal, in addition to any other vote they may cast according to
     other rules. a SwingVote can only be used once. After a SwingVote has
     been counted it is destroyed
     (ii). For any single proposal, a given player may cast at most one
     SwingVote
     (iii). For any single proposal, a given party may cast at most two
     SwingVotes.
     (iv). The total number of SwingVotes used by non-aligned players is
     limited only by section 3.f.(ii) of this rule, and is not limited by
     section 3.f(iii) of this rule
     (v) If more than two SwingVotes are cast by a single party on a
     given proposal, then only the first two are counted. The SwingVotes
     which have been cast but not counted, are destroyed, as if they have
     been used.
     (vi) This rule takes precedence over R390

     3.RoundFreq can only be changed in one of the following ways:
     a. When a proposal to change RoundFreq is accepted.

     b. Exactly one week after at least a third of all Institutions
     currently in session agree
     on a change. If , during that week, at least 50% of the Institutions
     in session decide against the change, the change does not take place.

     c. RoundFreq must be an integer equal to or greater than 3, and 
        smaller than the number of Swingers multiplied by 2.5  . When 
        ever FoundFreq does not meet either of these criteria it is set 
        to the largest integer smaller than the number of Swingers 
        multiplied by 2.5
     
     4. Tie-Fighter
     As long as a Tie-Fighter condition exists, the following things
     happen:
     a. SwingVotes are not counted. However, any SwingVotes cast on
     proposals whose voting period during the Tie-Fighter are destroyed
     b. Any player who receives points for eir proposal being accepted, or
     for voting against an accepted proposal, or for voting for a rejected
     proposal receives a bonus, which depends on the Swinger e is
     associated with
     Players associated with the Swinger with the highest SwingScore receive 
     a 5 point bonus.
     Players associated with the Swinger with the second highest SwingScore 
     receive a 3 point bonus.
     Players associated with the Swinger with the third highest SwingScore 
     receive a 2 point bonus.
     c. Plaers who are party members are associated with the Swinger who
     of eir party. Non aligned players are associated with the NAP Swinger

     5. a. It is the duty of the Chess-Umpire to keep track of all aspects of
           SwingVotes.
       b. All transactions that involve SwingVotes must be reported to 
         the Chess-Umpire.
    
   {{
   RoundFreq is set to 3
   All SwingScores are set to zero
  }} 

     "

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 13:47:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1117 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1117
  Proposal 1117 - Tue Aug 13 14:42:14 EDT 1996
  Blue Cross Automation Again
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 15 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

11 YES votes   1 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  1 -> 10

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =   4               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  11               
  Mellon                                      =   3               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =   0               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  35               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   2               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =   6               
  Habeous Corpus                              =   1               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               =  10               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =   6               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Techno                 Underworld             6 -> 8            

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =   0

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Bascule                FUN                  
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1117 - Tue Aug 13 14:42:14 EDT 1996
Blue Cross Automation Again
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

 Amend rule 549, The Blue Cross, to read, in full:
 {{
 0. The following steps are executed, in order:
 
 i. All Undead stop haunting all Blue Crosses, Silver Stripes, Gold Stripes,
 and Blue Cross Bonuses.  All Blue Crosses, Silver Stripes, Gold Stripes, and
 Blue Cross Bonuses are destroyed.
 
 ii. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to Robert Sevin.
 
 iii. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to Wayne.
 
 iv. An unowned Blue Cross Bonus with Mohammed's name on it is created and
 stored in the Treasury, and the Undead named Mohammed begins haunting it.

 v. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to /dev/joe. 
    [Note that I no longer fall into the category in section vi below.]
 
 vi. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to each player who would have been given
 a Blue Cross Bonus between the time the proposal which created this rule
 was distributed and the time it was accepted, had section 3 of this rule
 been in effect since the proposal was distributed.
 }}
 
 1. Each player has a Blue Cross Rank; it is a non-negative integer.
 At all times, a player's Blue Cross Rank is equal to the number of
 proposals he submitted which have been accepted, plus an additional 10
 if he has a Blue Cross Bonus.  If a player has registered for the game
 and quit one or more times previous to his most recent registration,
 proposals he made under his previous registration(s) shall count
 towards his Blue Cross Rank if they were accepted, even if he wasn't a
 player when they were accepted.
 
 2. No player may ever have more than one Blue Cross Bonus; this takes
 precedence over any other mutable rule which would give a player more
 than one Blue Cross Bonus.  Any time a player has more than one Blue
 Cross Bonus, all but one of his Blue Cross Bonuses are destroyed.  Any
 time a rule requires that a player be given a Blue Cross Bonus, one is
 created with his name stamped in gold upon it, and it is given to that
 player.
 
 3. When a President or Senator has ended a term in office by resigning,
 or due to his term of office expiring, and he has served at least 6 weeks
 in that office, then he is given a Blue Cross Bonus if he does not
 already have one, except in the case that the player resigned from the
 office of President or Senator while an Impeachment Paper was pending to
 remove him from that office.
 
 4. A player with a Blue Cross Rank of 20 or more qualifies for a Blue Cross.
 
   a. For each 40 points of Blue Cross Rank above 20 that a player has, he
      qualifies for a Gold Stripe.  For each 10 points of Blue Cross Rank a
      player with a Blue Cross has beyond that required for his Blue Cross
      and all his Gold Stripes, he qualifies for a Silver Stripe.
 
   b. No player ever qualifies for more than 3 Silver Stripes or 4 Gold
      Stripes, and a player who qualifies for 4 Gold Stripes does not qualify
      for any Silver Stripes.  This section takes precedence over section a.
 
 5. Any time a player has too many Blue Crosses, Silver Stripes, and/or
 Gold Stripes for his Blue Cross Rank, as defined by the previous section,
 then medals are taken from him and destroyed such that he no longer has
 too many.  Any time a player has too few of any of these medals, the
 President, Proconsul, or Senator may award medals of the appropriate types
 to that player until he has enough of each type.  The Frobozz Magic Medal
 Company, Ackanomic Division, performs the creation and destruction of
 these medals as medals are to be awarded or destroyed.
 
 6. A player with at least one Gold Stripe shall have the title "Officer of
 the Blue Cross."  A player with four Gold Stripes shall have the title
 "Commander of the Blue Cross".

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #186
*******************************