Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #182
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Sunday, August 18 1996        Volume 01 : Number 182

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:01:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Thanks

I would like to thank all Ackazens who voted for me in the latest senate
election.  I promise you all that I will start fulfilling my campaign
pronmises as soon as I find my Posting Records and can remember what they
were.

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed?-
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:01:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: RFC

On Sat, 17 Aug 96,  this is not a name wrote:

>RFC Advertising
>
>A Privilege of the Postmaster is to accept Advertising. Advertising is 
>any text (to a limit of 500 characters) appended automatically to 
>messages to the list. A Player may arrange with the Postmaster to have 
>Advertising appended to a certain number of messages or for a >certain 
>amount of time; the only valid compensation for Advertising is an
>amount 
>of A$, of which one-third (rounded up) goes to the Treasury, and the 
>remainder to the Postmaster.

Advertising does sound like a great idea;  however,  I have to agree with
Nicollo Flychuck in that this really belongs to the Ackanomic Press, 
instead of the Postmaster.  At first,  I really liked the idea of my
message showing up appended to someone else's posting,  publicity without
the effort.  But then I thought about MY postings.  Would I really want a
pitch for ane of Malenkai's Rule ammendments in a posting I had written
opposing it?  Or an advertisement from snowgod about an upcoming Gadget
Auction in a posting decrying the proliferation of Gadgets?

I think that advertising could really take off,  but it should belong in
a forum designed for such,  and where Players could reasonable expect it
to be,  in a newspaper. (That way,  after we've all read snowgod's
attempt to sell his wonderful Electronic Potato be Malenkai has all
Gadgets destroyed,  we can then wrap our fish in it.)

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed?-
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 11:40:16 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: re: Bob 

/dev/joe:

>I think I will also have to stand on the side of "Bob's a Menace".
> /*snip*/
>It creates a lot of work for the various officers who have web pages
>(most importantly the web-harfer, but others as well) to change the
>name everywhere.  What I worry about is that should it pass, what's
>to keep somebody from changing the name to Fred two weeks later?
>Is the name of the mailing list going to change too?  Sorry,
>[email-masked] is already reserved for my friend Bob Hughes. :-)

Does snowgod's proposal _require_ the mailinglist to be a certain name?
I'll admit the officers _would_ have quite a time replacing stuff tho.

>Also, changing our name to Bob would seem to remove us from Internomic,
>since they aren't yet prepared for players' names to change.  Worse,
Then again, they aren't prepared for much at all.

>Also, Ackanomic's name comes from the net-name of its founder, ackers,
>and the word "Nomic", explaining what it is.  The name "Bob" has no
>such significance.
This is silly. The official name of Agora Nomic is, as far as I know,
'Agora', similarly with Thring, I believe, but they have no problem
identifying themself as nomics. Ackanomic would become 'Bob Nomic', or
'Bob, the Nomic', or whatever you want. Just a matter of what you call it
in everyday discussion. No disrespect to the founder, of course...

>Also, Bob is the name of a former player; Maren Williams might be upset
>upon returning to the game, unable to use the name Bob because the game
>is now named that.  I believe Rule 703 would cover this situation, and
>I think I'm glad it does, because a player changing their name to
>Ackanomic (or Bob if the Bob proposal passed) would almost certainly
>be a loophole in some rule.
This could be a problem, I guess. Not a huge one, though.

Idunno. I'm afraid there are enough problems with changing Ackanomic to Bob
to convince me to vote PRESENT... Sorry, snowgod, but if it's any
consolation, the SVH you crafted for me is as spiffy as they come ~ give me
a few moments to compose myself before I proceed to marvel at its
wonderousness.

- ---Pascal

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 12:01:15 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: SVH 

>Pascal's Silly Vacation Hat is shaped remarkably similar to the actual Pascal,
>only upside down. It is
>       attached to Pascal's forehead at an identical place on the forehead of
>the Silly Vacation Hat. To the naked eye,
>       it appears as if Pascal has sprouted a siamese twin from his forehead.
>
>       The hat is animated, and will mimic Pascal's every move.
>
>       Except for the high-tech polymer joints, ceramic gears and titanium
>push rods (all of wich are inside the
>       SVH and hidden from view), the hat is made entirely of stryofoam, and
>has carefully painted with
>       fingerpaints.
>

Wow. I attempt to put on my Silly Vacation Hat, all the while wondering if
it is the Hat that is putting on me. I look in the mirror casually, moving
an arm this way and that, marvelling at the accuracy with which the SVH
copies my motions. It seems snowgod spared no expense in purchasing this
marvel of modern animatronics. Hoping that the beautifully applied
fingerpaints are not still wet, I touch my nose, and the hat its own; Oh
good. They're perfectly dry.

A minor disadvantage becomes apparent however; My A$ are now burning holes
in all four of my pockets...

Regardless, thanx to snowgod, for my Definitively Silly Silly Vacation Hat.

- ---Pascal---
Wearing A Silly Vacation Hat.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 17:27:49 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: RFC: Furtherly Harfishness. 

Here's an oddly harfy idea, if I (hopefully) understand the nature of
harfiness correctly.
Incidentally, is it a good/bad idea to implicitly create with this prop
some people wandering the Ackanomian Wilds?

This could add a whole new dimension to Sad Little Gaol Songs and other
ackacomposition...  Harfish Poetry an art form? Idunno... Here goes:

- -------------------
Potential Proposal:
- -------------------
The Language Harfish:

Create a rule, entitled 'Harfish Linguistics', with text:

There exists a language known as Harfish, spoken as a native language by
the nomads that wander the Wilds of Ackanomia. The portions of this rule
following the headings 'The Grammar of Harfish:' and 'The Vocabulary of
Harfish:', respectively, describe its syntax and words.

If a proposal passes which amends either or both of such sections, and does
not only remove text, its proposer shall receive a 5 point bonus in
addition to any other penalties or rewards for the passage of that reward.

{{[I'm not sure what to put here for the initial grammar and vocab, if
anything... what's there is just tossing out of ideas.]}}

The Grammar of Harfish:

Harfish is both a written and spoken language, although its written form is
not used very often in comparison. Modern Harfish uses a portion of the
roman alphabet, and in most cases, each letter corresponds to a single
sound and vice-versa.

The consonants h, d, g, t, k, l, r, m, n, s, z are pronounced as in english
(although the g is always hard)
b is a bilabial voiced fricative, a sound roughly between the english b and v.
p, similarly, is a bilabial unvoiced fricative, similar to english p and f.
c is the 'ts' in 'tsunami' [I think there is a similar phoneme in italian,
but I'm not sure what it is...]
x is a guttural fricative, similar to the 'ch' in 'loch'.

the vowels of Harfish are:

a: the 'o' in english 'hot'
e: the 'e' in english 'left
i: the 'ea' in english 'mean', but may be used consonantally like english 'y'
o: the 'o' in english 'don't'
u: the 'oo' in english 'boot', but may be used consonantally like english 'w'
'a' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by '@': the 'a' in
'at', and perhaps, the first 'a' in 'ackanomic'.
'e' with a single dot above it, represented in ASCII by a single quote: the
unstressed 'o' in 'lemon'.

Stress falls always on the penultimate syllable of a word.

The Vocabulary of Harfish:

Harfi - adj., Good, interesting, clever, harfy.
M'harfi - adj., Bad, boring, stupid, redundant.

- ---Pascal---
Wearing A Silly Vacation Hat.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 14:55:49 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation 

Starting tommorow, I'm going to go on Vacation for a period of five days
(I'll make a formal announcement when the time comes).  I wanted to let
everyone know in advance however, in case there are issues that demand my
attention before I leave.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 19:51:31 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Plea for a Chess-Umpire

Is anyone willing to volunteer to be Chess-Umpire? Please, someone, 
please.... :)

this is not a name
Appointer

- --      Mike Epstein            
      [email-masked]          Not a single byte of Microsoft software
  *                      *      was used to create this message.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 22:32:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Plea for a Chess-Umpire

this is not a name wrote:
> 
> Is anyone willing to volunteer to be Chess-Umpire? Please, someone,
> please.... :)
> 
> this is not a name
> Appointer

Did you check the rules to see if you are permitted to be an acting
chess-umpire and a swinger at the same time? 

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 22:40:46 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: Plea for a Chess-Umpire

>Did you check the rules to see if you are permitted to be an acting
>chess-umpire and a swinger at the same time? 

This is all it says:

>A.The functional office of Chess-Umpire exists.
>       B. Any player who is not a Swinger is eligible for the office of 
>Chess-Umpire
>       C. If a Chess-Umpire becomes a Swinger, e must immediately resign eir
>       position as Chess-Umpire.

So I'm not eligible for the office, but this rule doesn't take precedence 
over the Appointer rule, which makes me Acting Chess-Umpire.

But please, someone, volunteer. I don't want to have to dump this job on 
Malenkai by resigning as Appointer. :)

- --      Mike Epstein            "I believe in luck: how else can you
      [email-masked]           explain the success of those you
  *                      *       don't like?"
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/                         --Jean Cocteau

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 23:28:43 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1125

Proposal 1125 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:43 EDT 1996
Death to Dormancy
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Amend rule 507, "The Supreme Court of Ackanomia" by deleting these
   two paragraphs:
    "Once a justice, a player can never be voted out or kicked of office by
     any other entity, except by a petition of at least two thirds the number
     of players. A justice can resign."

    "Should there not exist either/all of the above mentioned position
     (president, speaker, senator) then this rule becomes dormant until
     there are."

{{[ The normal impeachment process can replace the first paragraph.
    The second is one of those dormancy statements which probably never
    worked anyway. ]}}

2. Amend rule 508, "Justices Rock", by deleting the sentence:
   "This rule stays dormant if Justices do not exists, until they do."

3. Amend rule 895, "Map-Harfer, Creation of" by deleting the sentence:
   "If there are no such rules, this rule shall lie dormant until there are."

{{[ There were some other dormancy clauses, but all have either been
    removed already or some other proposal currently up for vote will
    remove them.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 23:28:47 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1127

Proposal 1127 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:47 EDT 1996
Things the Bee Can't Do
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Amend Rule 457: change "not not" to "not".

2. Amend Rule 721: insert "be" after "The Organization type must".

3. Amend Rule 798: change "player that" to "player who".

4. Amend Rule 990, section 5.E.: delete "it a legal move,"

5. Amend Rule 991, section 3.D.(iv)(c): change "the the" to "the"
   and change ".." to "."

6. Amend Rule 1079: delete the last comma in section 2.

7. Amend Rule 1082, section 2: change "A Bishop can in" to
   "A Bishop can move in"

8. Amend Rule 1083:
   In section 2: delete all the commas except the last one.
   In section 3: delete the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 8th commas.
   In section 5: delete the semicolon.

9. Amend Rule 1085:
   In section 2: delete the last comma.
   In section 3, in the example: delete the first comma.

10. Amend Rule 1086, section 2.b.: delete the last comma.

11. Amend Rule 1094, section 2:
    In the part before the lettered subsections, change
      "il-Nabi has one of the following moves" to
      "il-Nabi may move in any of the following ways"
    In subsection (a), delete the first two commas.
    In subsection (b), change "at" to "in".
    In subsection 8  (c), delete the 8 before the "(c)" in
      the subsection number, and change "at" to "in", and
      delete the comma after "SQ2".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 23:28:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1126

Proposal 1126 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:45 EDT 1996
Freedom of Speech
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 592 by adding a period to the end of its last paragraph, and then
adding the following to that paragraph:
  "Words and the use of words in public messages are not Protected, except
   where specified by other rules."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 23:28:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1128

Proposal 1128 - Sun Aug 18 23:28:50 EDT 1996
Periodic Bee
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 1022, by adding the following line to the end of the list
of Permissible Stingings in section 5a):

  "e) Adding a period at the end of a sentence when it is missing."

and in section 5b) item g), change "5a) section c)" to "5a)".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 23:29:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1129

Proposal 1129 - Sun Aug 18 23:29:19 EDT 1996
Sensible Party Chess Economics
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 990, to replace all occurrances of  the string "M*5+10 A$" with
the string "M*7 + 1 A$"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 23:29:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1130

Proposal 1130 - Sun Aug 18 23:29:51 EDT 1996
Senate Seat Names
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

               1) The Senate seat names, "Seat A", "Seat B", "Seat C", and
       "Seat D" are uninteresting. Senate seat names which contain the
       underscore character ('_') are also uninteresting.

               2) Upon passage of this proposal, each Senator will have 7 days
       to change the name of their seat to something that is not uninteresting,
       as defined by the rules.

               3) The chosen name must conform to the rules defined for Player
       names, with the exception that it is explicitly noted that a Senate seat
       name is not the same thing as a Player name.

               4) Once a name is chosen and announced publically, it is
permanent
       and may not be changed, even upon a new Senator filling the seat. If the
       Senate should somehow be dissolved and reformed, the seat names will be
       reused. If the new Senate has less seats than the old Senate, the
Speaker
       shall decide which names are reused. If the new Senate is larger,
the excess
       seats shall be given uninteresting names by the Speaker.

               5) Upon the filling of a vacant seat with an uninteresting
name,
       or upon the re-election to a seat with an uninteresting name, the
Senator
       will have 7 days to change the name something that is non
uninteresting, as
       per the clauses in this rule and elsewhere.

               6) Should an occupied seat ever have an uninteresting name as
       defined by the rules, and the occupying Senator is NOT within a 7 day
       period to change the name as defined by this rule, the term for that
seat
       ends immediately and an election for that seat is held using the
rules for
       doing so. This clause superceeds all mutable rules defining the term or
       termlessness of a Senate seat.

               7) Should a Senator go on vacation during a 7 day period to
change
       the name as defined by this rule, that 7 day period is automatically
       extended to 7 days past when the Senator returns from vacation.

{{[bringing back the oldies adjustment:]  snowgod loses 8 points, Malenkai
gains 8 points}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 23:49:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1119

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> Proposal 1119 - Thu Aug 15 17:30:59 EDT 1996
> Bob
> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
> 
> {{The name of the game we are playing, which is currently Ackanomic, shall
> be changed to Bob.}}
> 
> {{[In so much as there may exist confusion as to the proper pronounciation
> of Ackanomic (is it A as in apple or A as in eh?) and where ackanomic may
> be pronounced differently depending on geographical location and cultural
> differences (such as accents or native languages) it has been determined
> that Bob is a much simpler name.  The pronounciation of Bob is the same in
> any language, with only small differences being made do to varying accents.
> It follows the most basic rules of the english language, and requires no
> special skill to translate.  And it is fun.  Imagine, in internomic for
> example the ambassador being known as the "liason for Bob.]}}
> 

And it's palindromic!

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 0:26:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1099 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1099
  Proposal 1099 - Fri Aug 09 14:49:40 EDT 1996
  Hall of Elders
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

9 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 9 points.  247 -> 238

9 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   32 -> 33           
  Malenkai               FUN                  238 -> 239          
  Brinjal                                      20 -> 21           
  Bascule                FUN                   37 -> 38           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            12 -> 13           
  Habeous Corpus                               38 -> 39           
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               178 -> 179          
  Extra Vote 1                                =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               

6 NO votes:  
  Mellon                                      =  15               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  74               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  56               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  80               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  74               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -11               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       = -24

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
====================================
The Tammany and Extra Vote were both bought by Malenkai.
Please deduct A$115 from his account.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 0:30:39 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1101 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1101
  Proposal 1101 - Fri Aug 09 14:50:04 EDT 1996
  I Returned a Bag of Groceries Accidentally Taken Off the Shelf Before the Expiration Date
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

13 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  179 -> 188

13 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 239               
  Robin Hood                                  =  33               
  Mellon                                      =  15               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  74               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  56               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  38               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  80               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 188               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  74               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -11               
  Geezer                                      =  -3               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  snowgod                (None Yet)            13 -> 15           
  Habeous Corpus                               39 -> 41           

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       = -24

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1101 - Fri Aug 09 14:50:04 EDT 1996
I Returned a Bag of Groceries Accidentally Taken Off the Shelf Before the Expiration Date
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend Rule 570 by changing "new player" to "new or returning player" each
time it appears in the paragraph which begins with "A new player".

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 0:31:44 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1103 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1103
  Proposal 1103 - Fri Aug 09 17:42:35 EDT 1996
  Amend R720
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   4 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  56 -> 65

11 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 239               
  Robin Hood                                  =  33               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  74               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  65               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  15               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  41               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 188               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -11               

4 NO votes:  2 points each
  Mellon                                       15 -> 17           
  Bascule                FUN                   38 -> 40           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            80 -> 82           
  Techno                 Underworld            74 -> 76           

2 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       = -24
  Geezer                                       =  -3

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
==========================================
Tammany was bribed by Niccolo Flychuck in the amount of A$25

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1103 - Fri Aug 09 17:42:35 EDT 1996
Amend R720
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to ammend R720
The following text shall replace R720 Institutions in its entirety:
"   1.There exists a class of entities  called Institutions.
     Singular- Institution.
     Institutions may only be established according to the rules.
     Institutions may be abolished according to the rules.
     The rights, privileges, duties and roles of Institutions will be
     defined by the rules.
     If there is no rule that defines the authority, rights,
     privileges, duties, or roles, for a given Institution, then that
     institution has no authority, rights, privileges, duties, or
     roles, respectively. 
   
   An Institution is defined as a Political Office with more than one seat.
 
    2. This section defers to rules governing decision making in Institutions. 
An Institution supports an action when a simple majority of its members
support the  action. An Institution opposes an action when a simple majority
of its members opposes an action. If the members of an Institution are tied
in respect to a specific action, and there is no provision for breaking ties
in that Institution, then that instiution neither supports, nor opposes that
action."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 0:34:39 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1104 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1104
  Proposal 1104 - Fri Aug 09 17:48:37 EDT 1996
  Repeal the Gnome
  Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   7 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Wayne loses 9 points.  -11 -> -20

11 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                  239 -> 240          
  ThinMan                Vulcan                74 -> 75           
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan                65 -> 66           
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               188 -> 189          
  Techno                 Underworld            76 -> 77           
  Extra Vote 1                                =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld           -20 -> -19          
  Extra Vote 2                                =   0               
  Geezer                                       -3 -> -2           

7 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  33               
  Mellon                                      =  17               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  40               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  15               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  82               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  41               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       = -24

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                
============================================
Lot's of action here folks:
First the Extra Votes were bought by /dev/joe and ThinMan.
The Tammany was bribed a totoal of A$75.  A$25 each from ThianMan, /dev/joe,
and Niccolo Flychuck.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 0:35:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1107 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1107
  Proposal 1107 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:32 EDT 1996
  ammend R990
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

12 YES votes   1 NO votes   3 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  66 -> 75

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 240               
  Robin Hood                                  =  33               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  75               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  75               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  15               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  82               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  41               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 189               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -19               
  Geezer                                      =  -2               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Techno                 Underworld            77 -> 79           

3 PRESENT votes:
  Mellon                                       =  17
  Bascule                FUN                   =  40
  Pascal                                       = -24

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1107 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:32 EDT 1996
ammend R990
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Add to section 3, the following text, right after subsection F:
" G.When a PartyChessPieceDef rule is repealed, all PartyChessPieces defined
by that rule are immediately destroyed. PartyChessPieces defined by rules
which depend on the repealed rule, immediately become off-board pieces. They
do not change ownership. and they are not destroyed. 
H.A PartyChessPieceDef rule can depend on other PartyChessPieceDef rule, by
defining the moves in terms of a PartyChessPiece defined by another rule. A
rule is not a PartyChessPieceDef rule if it defines the behavior of a
PartyChessPiece in terms of a non-existent PartyChessPiece.
"

[[As the rule stands now, with Thinman's ammendments, if a PCPD is repealed,
we suddenly get all those pieces on the board with undefined behavior. At
best, nothing at all can be done with them, and they just sit there, until
the Swinger surrenders, or someone captures them. At worst, they screw up
the game completely.
Repealing such a rule a game tactic, is not very likely to succeed, becaue
the Party, or Parties who will be most affected by this will vote against
it. It will probably take at least two Parties to affect something like this.
Subsection H is also necessary - read the proposal to define the Queen. It
would a legitimate rule, as long as both Bishop and Rook are defined.
Some would argue :" better rewrite Queen then", but the purpose of
subsection H, is to provide for similarly written rules in the future, and
not just for this isolated case.
]]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 96 0:36:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1108 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1108
  Proposal 1108 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:59 EDT 1996
  Locations
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 16 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

14 YES votes   0 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  240 -> 249

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 249               
  Robin Hood                                  =  33               
  Mellon                                      =  17               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                Vulcan               =  75               
  Niccolo Flychuck       Vulcan               =  75               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  40               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  15               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  82               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  41               
  Vulcan Unity vote                           =   0               
  /dev/joe               Vulcan               = 189               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  79               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -19               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

2 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       = -24
  Geezer                                       =  -2

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  chess piece face                            
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Robert Sevin                                

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1108 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:59 EDT 1996
Locations
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule entitled "Locations", reading:,

{{[Final final version of Locations. This version intergrates buildings
and makes the Gaol and Hotels buildings as well as locations. I also
tweaked some of the criminal justice stuff while I was there, and 
added /dev/joe's suggestion of closing the appeal CFCJ loophole.  I 
actually liked that loophole, it seemed a little warped, but I made up
my mind that if anyone pointed it out to me, I would fix it]}}  

{{0)  All instances of the Wilds of Ackanomia are hereby destroyed,
except the one created and defined by this rule.}}

1) A Rule that defines an entity or class of entity may specify that the
entity is a Location.  Unless otherwise specified, a Location may contain
any number of players.  Instances of Locations are entities, and are unique,
unless otherwise specified.  A Location may only have properties, or
be given properties, as specified by the Rules.

2) A player must be in exactly one Location at any one time.  A player may
only leave, or be removed from, a Location as specified by the Rules.
A player may only enter, or be placed in, a Location as specified by
the Rules.  Locations are unowned unless conditions for ownership, as
specified by the Rules, have been met and are maintained.

3) If a Rule specifies that a player enters a Location, they leave their
current Location, unless there is some other restriction which would
prevent them from leaving the current Location [e.g. Gaol].  In this
case they actually do not enter the destination Location; they remain
where they are.  This section has precedence over any mutable rule which
specifies that a player be moved to another location.
 
4) A Location may be specified as a Common Location.  Players may leave
and enter such Locations freely, provided they meet any specific conditions
that may be defined for the Common Location.

5) If a player leaves or is removed from, any Location, and it is
unspecified to which Location that they go, they go to their Home, if
it exists.

6) Wilds of Ackanomia
        
   6a) Let the Common Location known as the Wilds of Ackanomia
exist.  If a player leaves any Location, and it is otherwise unclear or
undefined which Location they go to, or the specified destination does
not exist, or they cannot go to their Home, they go to the Wilds of
Ackanomia.

   6b) If it is ever otherwise unclear for any reason what Location a
player should go to [e.g., an old player rejoining the game], they go to
the Wilds of Ackanomia.

7) Any player rejoining the game goes to the Location they were in when
they left the game. Any player joining the game for the first time goes
to their Home.

{{8) All players who are not currently in the Gaol or a Hotel are moved to
their Home.  This clause takes precedence over all other mutable rules.}}

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 709, "Gaol", to make the following changes:

      1) replace the first paragraph, which currently reads:

      "This rule shall create an Ackanomic entity known as the Gaol. The
Gaol is unlimited in capacity; it may hold 0 or more players
simultaneously."

      with:

      "The Location known as the Gaol is hereby created. It is a cramped
building. A player may not leave the Gaol except by the application of
a Rule which explicitly defines a procedure or condition for the player
to be released or removed from the Gaol."

      2) Replace section 6, to replace the sentence which reads:
         
         "A player in the Gaol may return from Vacation, or alter their
"vacation period""

          with: "A player in the Gaol may return from Vacation"

      3) Add the following text at the end of the rule:

      "A player is released from the Gaol if and when their sentence
expires. Other rules may specify other conditions under which a player is
released.

       This rule has precedence over any other mutable rule which
conflicts in whole or in part, with any of its provisions."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 710, "Criminal Justice", to read in full:

      This rule defines the Call for Criminal Judgement (CFCJ) procedure.
Except as detailed in this rule, it shall be like the Call for Judgement
in all ways, including how it is submitted, how judges are selected, how
it is appealed, etc. Any changes to the CFJ procedure will automatically
be "inherited" by the CFCJ procedure when they do not contradict the
exceptions detailed in this rule.

      1) A "court fee" of 20 units of currency will be paid by the player
making the CFCJ, to the Treasury.

      2) A CFCJ will be clearly labelled as such, to distinguish it from
an ordinary CFJ.

      3) Its "statement" shall be "X has broken the Rules", where X is
replaced with the name of a registered player.

      4) Its "reasoning" section shall show how Player X broke the Rules.

      5) It shall include a "suggested penalty" section, which is a
recommended penalty to be imposed on Player X, should a verdict of TRUE be
reached. More than one class of penalty may be recommended. The valid
classes of penalties are:
      a) a DEDUCTION of 0 or more points from Player X's score.
      b) a FINE of 1 or more units of currency payable by Player X to the
Treasury.
      c) a SENTENCE in the Gaol of 1 or more days for Player X.
      d) the TRANSFERENCE of one or more artifacts, gadgets, or units of
currency in the possession of Player X to the initiator of the CFCJ.
      e) the EXPULSION of Player X from the game.

      6) Upon a verdict of FALSE on the CFCJ, no penalty shall be imposed
upon Player X.

      7a) Upon a verdict of TRUE, the judge may retain or alter the
recommended penalty. The result will become the actual penalty. This will
be imposed following a 3 day "grace period". This takes precedence over all
other mutable rules which establish or dis-establish a grace period.

      7b) If the penalty was a SENTENCE in the Gaol, player X shall be moved
from their current Location to the Gaol at the end of the grace period,
at which time their sentence will start. If, however, player X was already
in the Gaol at the end of the grace period, the sentence they are currently
serving shall be increased by the length of the new sentence.

      7c) If the penalty specifies a TRANSFERENCE of any entity which it
is not permissable to transfer, that part of the penalty shall be void,
but such shall not necessarily void other parts of the penalty.
  
      8a) All other verdicts shall work as they would for a CFJ.  Any
verdict may be appealed as with a CFJ.

      8b) If a TRUE verdict is not upheld on an appeal, any penalties,
except SENTENCE, are reversed, effective the time of the appeal verdict.
The amount of any penalty of SENTENCE is subtracted from player X's
current sentence (if any, assume 0 if none), and the player is released 
from Gaol if their resultant sentence is non-positive.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 712, "Gaoler", to read in full:

      (i) The Office of Gaoler is hereby created.

      (ii) There shall be one seat for this office. This seat is filled
by election.

      (iii) The duties are
            a) To maintain a list of all players currently in the Gaol,
and their remaining sentence.
            b) To publically post a description of the cell of any player
in the Gaol.

      (iv) The Privileges are:
            a) To be able to accept bribes of currency from a player in the
Gaol, by publically announcing that they are doing so, providing said
player has agreed to the bribe.
            b) To release a player from the Gaol before their sentence is
up, by publically announcing that they are doing so.

      Upon announcing a bribe, the currency is transferred from the player
making the bribe to the Gaoler, if and only if the player has sufficient
currency.  This clause takes precedence over any other mutable rule
regulating currency transfers.

      The Gaoler is not obligated to release a player from which they have
received a bribe.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 729, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", to replace the paragraph which
currently reads:
 
      "If the witch has been burned, e shall enter the Ackanomic afterlife,
should such a place exist. E shall be excommunicated from the Ackanomic
Catholic Church, should such an organisation exist. And e shall lose 10
points."

       with:

      "If the witch has been burned, e shall enter the Ackanomic
Afterlife, and shall lose 10 points."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 767, "Nothing Important", to read in full:

      The Location known as the Ackanomic Afterlife hereby exists.

      It is a luxurious palace near the Senate building.  The palace
is a classy building. This palace magically heals all burns of players
here, and the ashes of players have been known to spontaneously "decombust"
back into the player when put there.

      A player may leave this palace whenever he or she wants, by publically
announcing that they are doing so.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 839, "Buildings", to read in full:

{{[I've shrunk the size of a couple of these buildings to make it easier
on the Map-Harfer, because I've added a couple, the Gaol (in R 709 rewrite)
and Courthouse. I've also moved the afterlife to Nothing Important."]}}
 
{{All instances of the Courthouse are hereby destroyed, except the one
created and defined by this rule.}}
 
      A building is a class of entity in Ackanomic which can be of six
 sizes:

            small (aka cramped or puny) (1 land unit)
            cosy (2 land units)
            classy (4 land units)
            lavish (6 land units)
            sumptuous (9 land units)
            extravagant (12 land units)

      Each player who has not previously been granted land by application
of this rule shall be granted 1 kaa of urban land and a building of small
size as their legal residence. All players should give a name to their
residence. It is called "<player's name>'s house" until they do, and is
also known as their "Home".

      Each instance of a player Home is a Common Location, with the
restriction that no player may enter a Home they don't own without
permission of the owner.

      The Senate Building is lavish. The FM building is a classy place.
The Courthouse is a cosy building. These buildings may never be smaller
that as defined originally but can be greater.  All of these buildings
are Common Locations.

      All other land, with or without buildings on them, that are not
defined in the rules or owned by players will be called common lands and
under the control of the Financier. All deals to sell or buy common land
must be done with the approval of at least two senators.

      The size of the buildings cannot be changed except as allowed by the
rules.
 
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 840, "The Library" to read in full:

      The Library is a classy building where a copy of all legal
documents are kept. It is a Common Location. The Historian (or by default
the Speaker) is in charge of the Library. It may not be destroyed or
reduced in size to less than what it is originally (classy).

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 894, "Map" to insert the following paragraph before the
paragraph which is currently the last one in the rule:

"The officer in charge of the Map should add, change, or remove buildings
and  other Locations as the Rules specifying these are enacted, amended,
or repealed."
  
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1018, "Hotels", to read in full:

A class of Locations called the Hotel (plural Hotels) is hereby created.
Each particular Hotel may only be created by the passage of a Rule. If the
Rule that creates a particular Hotel ceases to exist, that Hotel vanishes
in a cloud of dust. The Rule that creates a Hotel should specify the size
building it is. If it does not, it is puny by default.

Any Player may stay in a Hotel upon announcing it to the public forum and
paying the hotel's fee. If the fee for a particular Hotel is not defined
elsewhere in the rules, it is 10 units of the official currency per
24-hour period or fraction thereof. The fee for staying in a Hotel is
paid to the owner of the Hotel, unless otherwise specified. If a Hotel
has no other owner, its owner is considered to be the Treasury. If the
owner of a Hotel is a Player, that Player may set the fee for that Hotel,
but any increase in a Hotel's fee will not apply to any Player staying in
that Hotel at the time of the fee increase. If the owner of a Hotel
ceases to be a Player, ownership of that Hotel reverts to the Treasury. A
Hotel is considered to be an asset [and therefore can be bought and sold
on the Free Market].

A Player staying in a Hotel is considered a Guest of that Hotel. A Player
may stay in a Hotel for any length of time as long as e has enough
currency to pay for the privilege.

If a Guest goes on Vacation, e will remain in the Hotel as long as e has
enough currency to pay for the privilege, provided that no other rule
requires the Player to leave the Hotel.

A Guest will not leave the Hotel until either e posts to the public forum
that e is leaving, e runs out of money to pay for the stay, the Hotel
ceases to exist, or e is required to leave the Hotel by any applicable
Rule. The owner of a Hotel does not have the ability to make a Guest
leave that Hotel unless otherwise specified by another applicable Rule.

Players who are staying in Hotels and owners of Hotels may have other
privileges, duties or special characteristics as specified by another
applicable Rule.

This rule defers to any rule requiring that a player enter a Location
other than a Hotel. A Player staying in a Hotel who is required by any
rule to enter another Location automatically leaves the Hotel.

{{[this last sentence is redundant with Locations, but I left it for
clarity]}}

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #182
*******************************