Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #181
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Sunday, August 18 1996        Volume 01 : Number 181

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 01:25:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: BOB

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996 snowgod wrote:

>stuff...
I don't see why not.  One is the name of his office (CSRR) and the other
is
just a title, bestowed opon the holder of that office (mr cwm).  I
believe
there are other instances of it in the rules, though I can't think of any
right off the top of my head.  The harfy stuuf proposals contain
something
similar, though.  Upon the passage of the proposal, the first person to
be
given the title of Harfmeister is the speaker.

Those other titles are normally for the performance of other duties, 
priveledges or accomplishments.  This Rule would give the CSRR two titles
for performing the same function.  I thought removing redundancies was
one of the CSRR's duties???

>I just thought of another reason to vote YES on Bob.  Plaindromes (Bob)
are
inherantly amusing :)

This is the first real good reason you've given for voting in favour of
this Proposal.  But it's still not quite good enough.  I still urge all
of Ackanomia to assist in defeating this legislative boondoggle. 

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed?-
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 10:43:43 +0200
From: Niklas Mellin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Back from vacation

Hi!
I'm finally back from my vacation. Actually I've been back
for a week now, but I have been way too busy catching up at
work, after being away for three weeks, so Ackanomic have
been a very low priority project this week, but now that will
change.

I'm looking forward to receive my Silly Vacation Hat, and
start another round of crazy gaming!

/Mellon

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 11:59:03 +0200
From: Niklas Mellin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Sillly Vacation Hat

My new Silly Vacation Hat is so small that when I posted here 
an hour ago telling you all that I'm back from vacation, I 
missed I was already wearing it!

It is consists of a single water molecule always staying about
a meter above my head. I really love this hat, and can think
of many uses for it than just wearing it. For example if I get
lost in a desert, I have always have a water reserve. If my
coke is not cold enough I can step into a freezer for a while
and when my hat freezes I can put it inte the coke can to
chill it and so on. 

I'm very greatful to this is not a name, who designed such
a wonderful silly vacation hat for me! Thank You!!!

Mellon,
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 02:08:29 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Bob For Senate 

A question for the candidates...

Some of us are still unsure who to cast votes for in the senatorial
elections (Vote!).

Would the candidates, Habeous Corpus  and /dev/joe, please go on the record
with answer to the issue of Bob?  It seems clear that Habeous is opposed to
the change, but where /dev/joe stands seems more cloudy.  I'm sure that a
careful answer to this question could swing a few votes.

So what is it, candidates?

Bob's a Menace?

Bob's a Miracle?

snowgod
asking the tough questions

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 05:40:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Bob For Senate?

> A question for the candidates...
> 
> Some of us are still unsure who to cast votes for in the senatorial
> elections (Vote!).
> 
> Would the candidates, Habeous Corpus  and /dev/joe, please go on the record
> with answer to the issue of Bob?  It seems clear that Habeous is opposed to
> the change, but where /dev/joe stands seems more cloudy.  I'm sure that a
> careful answer to this question could swing a few votes.
> 
> So what is it, candidates?
> 
> Bob's a Menace?
> 
> Bob's a Miracle?

I think I will also have to stand on the side of "Bob's a Menace".
I had not posted on this issue before, because there were already some
good arguments against it and nothing stronger than "the Northwest
Territories of Canada are doing it" in favor.

It creates a lot of work for the various officers who have web pages
(most importantly the web-harfer, but others as well) to change the
name everywhere.  What I worry about is that should it pass, what's
to keep somebody from changing the name to Fred two weeks later?
Is the name of the mailing list going to change too?  Sorry,
[email-masked] is already reserved for my friend Bob Hughes. :-)

Also, changing our name to Bob would seem to remove us from Internomic,
since they aren't yet prepared for players' names to change.  Worse,
if we're no longer Ackanomic, does that mean anybody can start an
"Ackanomic" and take our place in Internomic?  I know they have proposals
to fix this, but that will take a while.

Also, Ackanomic's name comes from the net-name of its founder, ackers,
and the word "Nomic", explaining what it is.  The name "Bob" has no
such significance.

Also, Bob is the name of a former player; Maren Williams might be upset
upon returning to the game, unable to use the name Bob because the game
is now named that.  I believe Rule 703 would cover this situation, and
I think I'm glad it does, because a player changing their name to
Ackanomic (or Bob if the Bob proposal passed) would almost certainly
be a loophole in some rule.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 14:58:23 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re; The question of BOB

What's in a name?
Nothing much other than a label, however, in this instance I must oppose
the idea on ground of gross inconvenience for the people of Ackanomic. In
addition to /dev/joe's immaculate argument, I'd like to add that wehave
accustomed to the name, and nothing would be served by changing it
suddenly to something like BOB.

Niccolo Flychuck

ps- quite besides the point, isn't the name trademarked by MS?
Come to think of it, isn't everything?
:)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 09:05:56 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: Bob, and then some. 

I hereby take myself off vacation; could someone please tell me (personal
email, preferably, the digests are hard to weed thru) where the nomicbot
resides, so as I can vote for snowgod's truly inspired renaming of this
nomic? :D I seem to have lost the address.

Thanx,
- ---Pascal.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 11:00:49 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC: Advertising

RFC Advertising

A Privilege of the Postmaster is to accept Advertising. Advertising is 
any text (to a limit of 500 characters) appended automatically to 
messages to the list. A Player may arrange with the Postmaster to have 
Advertising appended to a certain number of messages or for a certain 
amount of time; the only valid compensation for Advertising is an amount 
of A$, of which one-third (rounded up) goes to the Treasury, and the 
remainder to the Postmaster.

{{ Very rough draft, believe it or not I thought of this in my sleep, I 
think, or just as I was waking up. Does this need precedence or anything? 
I just woke up ;-) }}

this is not a name

- --      Mike Epstein            
      [email-masked]          Mistakes are often the stepping stones
  *                      *      to utter failure.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 19:02:48 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Advertising

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, this is not a name wrote:

> RFC Advertising
> 
> A Privilege of the Postmaster is to accept Advertising. Advertising is 
> any text (to a limit of 500 characters) appended automatically to 
> messages to the list. A Player may arrange with the Postmaster to have 
> Advertising appended to a certain number of messages or for a certain 
> amount of time; the only valid compensation for Advertising is an amount 
> of A$, of which one-third (rounded up) goes to the Treasury, and the 
> remainder to the Postmaster.
> 
> {{ Very rough draft, believe it or not I thought of this in my sleep, I 
> think, or just as I was waking up. Does this need precedence or anything? 
> I just woke up ;-) }}
> 
> this is not a name

This would be a blatant attempt on the part of the state to compete with
free enterpeneurs who invested in setting up their own newspapers. While
it is true that not akll newspapers sell ad space, but such a rule, would
create unfair competition on the part of Ackanomic and discourage the
development of a potentially thriving services industry.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 12:10:05 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Bob, and then some.

> I hereby take myself off vacation;

BTW, you have a Silly Vacation Hat waiting for you.
The last person to not follow this rule, Simon Marty Harriman, is getting
thrown out of the game! (not for that reason, though. :-)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 15:13:11 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1121

Proposal 1121 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:11 EDT 1996
Sponging cheap points before Modesty passes
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 396, "Office of Promoter", to read in full:

      The Office of the Promoter is a Functional Office. The Duties of the
Promoter are: 

            (a) to accept proposal submissions from players, and to,
            (b) assign the proposal a number and distribute it for voting.

A proposal by a Player shall be made by submitting it to the Promoter.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 612, "Functional Offices, Commonalities", to add the following
paragraph after the first sentence:

An Office is a Functional Office if and only if the Rules specify it as
such.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 15:13:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1122

Proposal 1122 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:27 EDT 1996
Election Year Tax Cut
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 666, "End of Cycle", so that section e) reads in full:

      e) If the amount of A$s in circulation exceeded the amount in the 
Treasury at the time this winner was declared, the following shall
occur: 20% (round down) of each Player's A$ balance is transferred to
the Treasury. The winner shall pay only 10% (round down), however. Each
Undead stops haunting 20% (rounded down) of the A$ it is haunting.

{{[I noticed that when I was acting Financier, we are still in an
artificial deflationary senario.  This will fix it, at least for now.
I purposely decoupled this from the "Memoirs" fix, however.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 15:13:53 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1123

Proposal 1123 - Sat Aug 17 15:13:52 EDT 1996
Whitespace Harfer
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 411, "Office of the Web-Harfer", to add the following text after
sub-section a) of the Priviledges section:

	b) To add whitespace and line breaks to the rules.  The Web-Harfer
should consider all player requests to do so.

{{[for people like me who cannot read some of the more densely written
rules.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 96 15:14:01 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1124

Proposal 1124 - Sat Aug 17 15:14:01 EDT 1996
Party Chess is Delayed Another Week
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rules 1079, 1080, 1082, 1083, 1085, 1086, 1087, and 1094.
In each of the above rules' titles, change "Creation of PartyChessPiece"
to "Creation of a PartyChessPiece"
{{[ Read Rule 990 section 3.A.ii. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 22:19:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Spelling Bee Flight 6

The Spelling Bee is flying again.
This time there are 15 stingings in 8 CFJ's, and 38 more stingings in
19 rules.

In CFJ 115's statement, change "ammend" to "amend" twice.
In CFJ 177's judge's comments, change "in" to "is" (in "Convention in not
  a "proposal"); change "refference" to "reference".
In CFJ 250's supreme court's comments, change "sucessfully" to
  "successfully".
In CFJ 251's initiator's comments, change "attempts" to "attempted" in
  "effects that such attempts regulation has".
In CFJ 254's judge's comments, change "priveleges" to "privileges" twice;
  change "privelege" to "privilege"; change "Sinc" to "Since"; change
  "verdit" to "verdict"; change "Therefor" to "Therefore".
In CFJ 256's 2nd judge's comments, change "detemined" to "determined".
In CFJ 256's appealer's comments, change "provided" to "provide" in
  "does not provided for its determination".
In CFJ 261's 3rd judge's comments, change "viloate" to "violate".
In CFJ 264's initiator's comments, change "priviledge" to "privilege".

R207, change "infintesimal" to "infinitesimal" twice.
R457, 3rd paragraph, change "permissable" to "permissible".
R683, change "Hobbs" in author's name to "Hobbes"
R767, change "Hobbs" in author's name to "Hobbes"
R901, change "erroreneous" to "erroneous" twice.
R991, section 3.C.(ii) change "surrendur" to "surrender"
R1067, change "Imediatly" to "Immediately"; change "eligable" to "eligible";
  change "reffered" to "referred"; change "Her" to "He" (in "Her may do with
  the hotel as he sees fit"); change "privlidges" to "privileges"; change
  "Cowtown" to "Cow Town"; change "beremoved" to "be removed".
R1079, section 2., change "orhorizontally" to "or horizontally".
R1080, section 3., change "desstination" to "destination".
R1082, section 2., change "cuurent" to "current".
R1083, section 2., change "verically" to "vertically"; change "quare" to
  "square".
R1083, section 3., change "quare" to "square".
R1083, section 4., capitalize the first "a" and change "immdiately" to
  "immediately".
R1083, section 6., change "pawns's" to "pawn's".
R1085, section 1., change "reprsened" to "represented"
R1089.2, section 3), change "infintesimal" to "infinitesimal" twice.
R1089.2, section 4), change "simultaneaouly" to "simultaneously".
R1089.2, section 6)a), change "apparant" to "apparent".
R1089.2, section 6)c), change "ommission" to "omission" twice.
R1094, section 2., capitalize "the" in "the move must be made in that order."
R1096, change "fram" to "frame"; change "privlige" to "privilege".
R1098, change "negitive" to "negative"; change "players (in "players
  balance") to "player's"; capitalize "an" at the start of the 3rd
  paragraph; change "wherin" to "wherein".

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 00:01:18 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

1) snowgod's senate seat election results:

Habeous Corpus (3 votes)
	Bascule
	Habeous Corpus
	snowgod

/dev/joe (2 votes)
	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck

Bob (1 vote)
	this is not a name

2) A player has invoked R 362 on Simon Marty Harriman.  He has not
responded within the 2 day time limit, thus is removed from the game.
This has the following implications:

3) Acka's oldest party, FOOZBALL, is now defunct.  I remember when the
second incarnation of FOOZBALL was formed back in March.  It seems like 
such a long time ago.

4) The functional office of Chess-Umpire is once again vacant, and
tinan is the acting Chess-Umpire, until another is found.  tinan is also
swinger for (None Yet).  I note that the rule which creates the 
Chess-Umpire prohibits a swinger from being Chess-Umpire, and requires
one or the other to resign immediately.  On the the other hand, the
rule which makes tinan the acting Chess-Umpire may have precedence.  
Someone should look into this.  I can't right now.

5) The office of senate (Simon Marty Harriman's seat) is also vacant.
I shall be accepting nominations at [email-masked] for the 3 days
following this post.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #181
*******************************