Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #177
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Thursday, August 15 1996       Volume 01 : Number 177

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 21:45:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate Election

The election for snowgod's seat begins now, and ends 3 days from the
date of this post.  The candidates are:

	/dev/joe
	Habeous Corpus

Send votes to [email-masked].  Good luck to the candidates!

Malenkai
Speaker/AT

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 05:00:31 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: PartyChessPieces

We finally have some PartyChessPieces to play with, and I believe the
game could begin very soon.
All of the pieces, including some of the more peculiar ones (Echo and
Copycat come to mind), except for the Knight and the Queen.
I suppoe the Camel makes more sense than the standard chess Knight on a
board of this size. The objection for the Queen I guess comes either
because it's too powerful, or because the rule was (intentionally)
dependent on the existence of two other rules.
I'd like comments on that. Since I intend to propose more pieces
occasioanlly, and I'd be deliriously happy if other players were to do so
as well.

Since the game is about to begin, make sure to take a look at proposal
1116 - Law of Party Gravity, vote for it, and comment heavily either
privately or through the list. 

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 21:21:59 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Scores

Due to Rule 1089.1, there were no score changes due to proposal 1089,
or else the score changes were all immediately undone.  Fortunately,
the difference does not matter, as the only potential scores changes
due to it would be 9 points for Malenkai and 2 for Techno, and the
scores below represent the scores before (and after) proposal 1089's
voting period ended, and due to the changes in Rule 1089, they represent
the scores right now, if I haven't missed any score changes.

Malenkai's and tinan's scores are now the highest they have ever been
in this cycle; nobody is eligible to claim the trombone, and nobody has
won yet.

Score   Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----   --------------      ---  -------------
228     Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall)
176     /dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis)
75      this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein)
72      ThinMan              V   (John Bollinger)
66      Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman)
47      Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck)
41      Bascule              A   (Matt Black)
32      mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray)
30      Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
27      Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw)
16      Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke)
15      Mellon              IV   (Niklas Mellin)
8       De'ghew              V   (John Spickes)
8       snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley)
0       Geezer               A   (David Chapman)
0       Simon Marty Harriman A   (Andy Swan)
- -3      fon                  V   (Adrian Smith)
- -3      Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding)
- -10     chess piece face     V   (Paul Swan)
- -15     Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard)
- -24     Pascal               V   (Jason Reed)
- -33     Calvin N Hobbes     IV   (Thierry Joffrain)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 22:57:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Silver Stripe

It is my pleasure to award /dev/joe another silver stripe for serving
as President.  He did a great job (although he was a little soft on
crime :)).

The crowd goes wild!

Malenkai
ProConsul

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 22:59:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Re; Prop 1056 Fails

On Wed,  14 Aug 96  Bascule wrote:

>stuff...
>I thank all those True Believers who voted against this proposal, 
>particularly Malenkai and me cwm (who bribed Tammany)

>Bascule

Referring to Malenkai as a "True Believer" is the best joke I heard all
week.  E was responsible for letting heretics off scott free after only
_ONE_ burning to go on spreading eir Heresy with thought to the
consequences.  During the recent Presidential Campaign e even had the
affront to claim that the earth was round and challenge the candidates to
do the same.  Voting against this proposal,  while being the "right"
thing to do,  was merely a ploy of Malenkai's to lull people into
forgetting eir true colors.  Bascule,  don't be fooled. Help defeat
Malenkai's schemes of heresy by voting for my Proposal to repeal
"Enlightenment" {currently in RFC} when it is submitted.

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed?-
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 22:59:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Re: Gadgets Part Deux

On Wed,  14 Aug,  96 Malenkai Wrote:
>Blueprints are not rules and only "regulate", and I use the term
>loosely, Gadgets themselves.  The entity I created by R 115 was not
>a gadget.

>The Inventor/Blueprint stuff is rife with loopholes and problems,
>IMHO, the first of which was CFJ 261, the next of which is >"Malenkai's
>Loophole" with respect to blueprinted gadgets and R 703.  There are
>others...

As I stated in my next posting,  I agree that Gadgets has a few problems.
 I was only responding to your statement that Rule 594 _could not_
regulate per the Rules.  Rules 594 and 786 are very specific about
whether they Regulate or not.  The problem is Regulate WHAT?

Names of gadgets may turn out to be the stickiest of the bunch.  When
snowgod wrote Blueprints,  I think e thought e had found a way around
R703.  I think it will eventually take the Supreme Court or a major
rewrite of either R703 or R594.

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed?-
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 19:15:06 +0000
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

Niccolo Flychuck's recent hard work and dedication to his Party 
Chess series of proposals has paid off.  Niccolo has now had 20 of 
his proposals pass, making him eligable to recieve a Blue Cross.

It is with great pleasure that I, in my official capacity of 
President of Ackanomic, award Niccolo Flychuck this newly minted 
Blue Cross. 

May he wear it with pride and honor!

President snowgod
who is working dilligently to one day recieve across of his own

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 96 0:40:18 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1118

Proposal 1118 - Thu Aug 15 00:40:18 EDT 1996
Memoirs of an Acting Financier
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[so I have another long Proposal.  

I have made snowgod's RFC changes in making the lamb and wool sweater
mimsy.

This came about for several reasons:

I never knew if an entity was tradeable or saleable (because of protection,
things that common sense indicated were, weren't), and I just wanted
to say so in a rule, and inherit stuff.  I saw some problems  (a couple
of them serious) when I became acting Financier, and I wanted to fix
them.  And, I never seemed to know my account balance.

The following amendments attempt to fix the following problems:

1) Unambigiously define what Tradeable means, so a rule can specify
that an entity is tradeable, and inherit that structure.

2) Define the Financier's duties, and fix some problems with the FM.

3) Synchronize bond cycles to salaries (Monday 12N Eastern time).  End
of cycle does not kilter bond cycles.

4) Clean up some office/salary stuff.

5) Make cosmetic changes by explicitly using the term A$.  I have a
comment about that later.]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Amend R 482 as follows:

1) Change it title to "Office of the Financier and Free Market".

2) Amend it to read, in full:

I.  Financier

The Office of the Financier (OotF), or Financier, is a Functional
Office.

The duties of the Financier are:

        a) To maintain accurate records of all players' account
balances, and a log of all debits and credits to those balances.

        b) To maintain a list of balances and assets of all non-player
entities, such as the Treasury.

        c) To publish all account balances on at least a bi-weekly
basis, and to make the logs or balances available to any player upon
request.

        d) To maintain the Free Market (FM), and to verify any transaction
made there was made in accordance with the rules. The Financier is
responsible for overseeing the lawful functioning of any entity that
deals on, is related to, uses the FM, when using the FM. This includes
the authority to negotiate and resolve conflicts or disagreements between
such entities according to the rules, tradition, or to the best of his/her
judgement, in that order.

The priviledges of the Financier are:

        a) To appoint up to 2 assistants, to help in gathering, maintaining,
and publishing information pertaining to the above. These assistants
may resign.  These assistants are not "officiers", as the term is
generally used elsewhere in the rules.

        b) To receive the usual salary for a functional officer.

II.  Trading and the Free Market (FM)

     1) All entities are either Tradeable or non-Tradeable.

     2) An entity is Tradeable if and only if the rules specify that it
is, otherwise it is non-Tradeable.  The rules may specify specific
conditions or mechanisms for non-Tradeable entities to be traded or
transferred; this rule defers to any such rules where there is a
conflict.  Tradeable entities may only be transferred by methods
described in the rules.

     3) The FM is a bulletin board where players may post a desire to
make a trade, and is where a record of all trades are kept.

     4) Two players may trade a non-negative quantity of a Tradeable entity
for another non-negative quantity of another (or the same) Tradeable
entity on the FM, as described following. (If one of the quantities is
0, the trade may be specified as a "gift" or "donation" for convienence).

     5) Both players must consent to the trade, and must own sufficient
quanitity of the entity to fulfill their half of the trade.

     6) The trade is completed (unless it is deemed unlawful) by both
players posting their consent to the public forum, along with a description
of the trade.

     7) A record of the trade is recorded on the FM by the Financier.  If
the Financier determines that the trade is not in accordance with the
rules, it is deemed never to have happened.

     8) Other rules may specify other methods in which Tradeable entities
may be transferred, independent of the FM.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 480, "Creation of the AckaDollar" to replace the last sentence
of the rule with: "AckaDollars are tradeable".

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 481, "Creation of PF Bonds", to replace the last sentence of the
rule with: "PF Bonds are tradeable. They may not be broken into
fractional PF bonds."

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 567, "Tools V"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 786, "Gadgets", so that section (iii) reads:

"(iii) A Gadget has at most one owner. Gadgets are tradeable."

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 818, "Prosthetic Foreheads", to replace the first paragraph
with:

      "This rule creates a type of entity known as a Prosthetic Forehead.
There is an endless supply and an endless variety of Prosthetic Foreheads.
Prosthetic Foreheads are protected and tradeable."

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 891, "The Press", to replace all occurrances of
"Newspapers may be traded among players", with "Newspapers are tradeable".

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1018 "Hotels" to replace all occurrance of

"A Hotel is considered to be an asset [and therefore can be bought and
sold on the Free Market]."

with

"Hotels are tradeable."

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1023 "Auction" to make the following changes:

1) Replace section 1) a), which currently reads:

      "a) the item to be Auctioned, which must be unowned if the Rules
are calling for the Auction, and must be owned by the Player calling the
Auction if it is being called by a Player."

with:

      "a) the item to be Auctioned, which must be unowned if the Rules
are calling for the Auction, and must be a tradeable entity owned by the
Player calling the Auction if it is being called by a Player."

2) replace all occurrances of the term "currency" with the string "A$s".

3) replace all occurrances of the phrase "day of the week" with "day
of the month".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1036, "Rock, Creation of", to make the following changes:

1) Change the title of the rule to "Rock".

2) Add the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph: "The
rock is tradeable".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 962.1 "Twas Brillig", to add the following text after the
phrase "Brass Monkey":

 The Little Lamb
 Wool Sweaters

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[what follows are alot of cosmetic changes to the office, salary,
and money stuff.  I also replaced things like "official currency"
"currency", and "units of currency" with references to the A$
explicity.  In some cases this fixes a loophole.  As for the argument
that some could raise about this explicitness, I have the counter
argument, but not the bandwidth now.]}}

Amend R 510 in the following ways:

1) Change its title to "Tools I and II"

2) Amend it to read:

      No player may use more A$'s to buy, trade, give or in any way move
out of his account, than there are in his/her account at that moment in
time. In other words, a player may never voluntarily go into debt, but it
is possible that a player may go into debt involuntarily.

      If a player is in debt, that player continues to earn A$s from jobs,
yields, interests, donations, and selling or auctioning assets for currency.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 511, "Tools II"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 554, "Tammany", to replace the word "units" with the word "A$s"
in section (iv) c.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 565 "Tools III (b)" to read:

      "At the end of every two weeks, the PFs will yield a dividend to the
player owning them at that instant in time. The dividend of a single PF
will be calculated from the change in the score of the player the bond
was initially issued to. The dividend will be 1% of the change in the
issued player's score over that two weeks if his/her score went up.
Otherwise, it will yield an effective debt of -0.5% of the change in
score per PF. This yield will be credited or deducted from the PF owner's
account.

       The end of a two week cycle shall be Monday 12:00 EDT of the
appropriate week."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 569, "Overturning Judgements", to replace all occurrances of the
string "2 Ackadollars" with "A$2".

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 612, "Functional Offices, Commonalities" to replace section (ii)
a) to read as follows:

        "a) A$3 plus A$1 for every Funcitonal Office held."

{{[this fixes a nasty loophole where having one functional office gives
you salary for all non-functional offices you have.]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 615, "Speaker", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units"
with "A$10".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 609, "Offices, Commonalities", to replace section (v)
with the following:

      (v)   Salaries:

             If the Rules specify that a particular Officer is to
             be paid a salary in A$s periodically as one of the
             Privileges of Office, the payment happens every Monday
             at noon Eastern time, if the salary is weekly.

{{[this synchronizes bonds and salaries, to make it easier on the
financier.]}}

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 665, "Treasury and Hard Money", as follows:

1) In the section labelled "Hard Currency:", replace the string
"AckaDollars" with "A$" every time it appears in the last sentence of the
section.

2) In the section labelled "No Ackapennies:", replace the string
"AckaDollars" with "A$" every time it appears in the section.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 666, "End of Cycle", to replace item j) with the following:

      "j) Bond payments are reinstituted, as if all players' scores were
0 at the end of the previous bond cycle."

{{[this keeps bond yields synchronized]}}
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 710, "Criminal Justice", to make the following changes, in the
order listed:

1) replace all occurrances of the string "20 units of currency" with
"A$20".

2) replace all occurrances of the string "units of currency" with
"A$".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 712, "Gaoler", to replace all occurrances of the string "currency"
with "A$s".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1018, "Hotels", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units
of the official currency" with "A$10".
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1046, "Baaa", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units
of the official currency" with "A$10".
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #177
*******************************