Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #175
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest      Wednesday, August 14 1996      Volume 01 : Number 175

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 01:00:14 +0000
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassador: Nomic War

Douglas Catham (sp?) posted the following to the nomic WWW bulletin board.  I 
though it was interesting, and reminded me of some of the talk going on when Robert 
Sevin was president, so I thought I would pass it along to you.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

(Very Rough Draft of) An Internet Convention for
                        the Conduct of Nomic War

Posted by Doug Chatham on August 13, 1996 at 08:43:51:

The Nomic FAQ mentions the interesting concept of war 
between nomics. A few weeks ago, I decided to try to
come up with a system that would allow for nomics to
fight each other. The result is the Internet Convention
given below.

Note that this Convention provides
(1) a limited resource to fight with and over (the Conventional Votes)
(2) a way for partipicating nomics to hurt each other 
(3) incentive for recruiting new people

Unfortunately, I don't think regular nomics would want 
to adapt their rules to follow this Convention --- that
is, people wanting to play this would probably have to
create special nomics for that purpose.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Here's the current text of the Convention:

The Internet Convention for the Conduct of Nomic War

The High Subscribing Nomics ("HSNs") listed below agree to explore the
possibilities of internomic war. In order to keep the fight civilized,
the High Subscribing Nomics agree to obey the following Articles:

Article I: (Membership of an HSN) Only a human being may be a member of a HSN.
If a person is a member of one HSN, e shall not simultaneously be a member of any 
other HSN.

Article II: (Conventional Votes and Universal suffrage) Every Monday at 12:00 am 
UTC, each member of every HSN shall receive a ration of Conventional Votes (CVs). 
The number of CVs that a member gets shall be determined by the rules of eir HSN. 
(Each HSN shall initially set that number to be five (5) per player per week.) A CV 
may be cast FOR or AGAINST any proposal made in any HSN. (Once cast, a CV may not 
be used for any other purpose.)

Article III: (Conventional Votes are the only votes that count) The passage of any 
proposal shall depend only on the number of CVs cast for or against it. HSNs may 
not distinguish between votes cast by its members and votes cast by members of 
other CSNs.

Article IV: (Reasonable voting periods) The voting period on a proposal shall be no 
less than three (3) days and no more than fourteen (14) days.

Article V: (Right to make proposals): A member of any HSN has the right to make 
proposals in any HSN and to have those proposals voted on.

Article VI: (Monitoring) In order to ensure all HSNs follow the Convention, there 
shall be a Monitor. All official actions (including voting and making proposals) by 
members must be reported to the Monitor. The Monitor shall report all offical 
actions, except for individual votes, to all HSNs. When e believes the Convention 
has been violated, the Monitor shall report all details of this potential violation 
to all HSNs. The Monitor is [name here].

Article VII: (Amendment) This Convention may be amended by a majority vote of the 
HSNs. A HSN may cast a vote on such amendment only by passing a proposal to cast 
such vote.

Article VIII: (Membership) The High Subscribing Nomics are listed here: [list of 
HSNs here] A Nomic may become an HSN only by amendment of the above list.

Article IX: (Withdrawal) Any HSN may withdraw from this Convention by passing a 
proposal to do so; if a HSN withdraws, the Monitor shall remove it from the above 
list. Also, the Monitor shall take the uncast CVs of the members of the withdrawing 
HSN and equally distribute them among the members of the remaining HSNs.
______

Comments, anyone?

(PS: It could have been worse: I could have given in to the great temptation to 
insert references to _Dune_'s Great Convention and thus create a Dune Nomic. ;) )

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:37:23 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Financial

>Due to the rewrite of R 457 by /dev/joe, tinan is now the
>acting Financier.  If possible, I suggest he appoint me to the
>post in an acting capacity, so I can prepare everything for ThinMan.

I appoint Malenkai Acting Financier in accordance with R612.

>(iii)  A Functional Officer going on vacation shall be judged
>              to have vacated his Seat for the period of the vacation,
>              after which he shall hold the Seat once again.  At his
>              discretion, the Appointer may appoint a volunteer to
>              fill an "Acting" role for a Functional Office vacated by
>              vacation.  In this case, there shall be no action to
>              fill the empty Seat.  This section takes precedence over
>              section (vi) of this Rule.

this is not a name
Appointer

- --      Mike Epstein            "Do you mind if I sit back a little?
      [email-masked]           Because your breath is very bad."
  *                      *             --Donald Trump to Larry King
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:27:09 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1065 Fails

>To the players who voted NO or PRESENT on this proposal:
>  What is it in the proposal that you do not like?  I note that the
>entire (None Yet) party voted against it.  Does it do something
>unfair to your party that I haven't noticed?

I just think it takes some fun away.

- --      Mike Epstein            "If the facts don't fit the theory,
      [email-masked]           change the facts."
  *                      *                       --Albert Einstein
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:50:08 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Financial Transfer

I hearby transfer A$12 to Malenkai, because he is such a swell guy.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:44:53 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1081 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1081
  Proposal 1081 - Mon Aug 05 22:27:57 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Knight
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

6 YES votes   4 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 9 points.  24 -> 15

6 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   25 -> 26           
  Brinjal                                      22 -> 23           
  Niccolo Flychuck                             15 -> 16           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            10 -> 11           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            67 -> 68           
  Habeous Corpus                               26 -> 27           

4 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 220               
  ThinMan                                     =  68               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  56               

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:45:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1084 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1084
  Proposal 1084 - Mon Aug 05 22:29:36 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Queen
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

6 YES votes   4 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 9 points.  34 -> 25

6 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   26 -> 27           
  Brinjal                                      23 -> 24           
  Niccolo Flychuck                             25 -> 26           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            11 -> 12           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            68 -> 69           
  Habeous Corpus                               27 -> 28           

4 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 224               
  ThinMan                                     =  70               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  60               

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:43:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1080 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1080
  Proposal 1080 - Mon Aug 05 22:27:21 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Camel
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

8 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  15 -> 24

8 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  25               
  Brinjal                                     =  22               
  ThinMan                                     =  68               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  24               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  10               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  26               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  56               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  218 -> 220          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            65 -> 67           

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1080 - Mon Aug 05 22:27:21 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Camel
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A Camel is respresented by the ASCII chracter C.
2.  A Camel may move either : (a)3 squares vertically and 1 square
horizontally, or (b)3 squares horizontally, and 1 square vertically. 
3. A Camel can skip over any pieces that occupy any squares between the
current square and the desstination square"
4. A Camel's material value is 5

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:45:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1082 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1082
  Proposal 1082 - Mon Aug 05 22:28:23 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Bishop
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

7 YES votes   3 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  16 -> 25

7 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  26               
  Brinjal                                     =  23               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  25               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  11               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  68               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  27               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  220 -> 222          
  ThinMan                                      68 -> 70           
  Techno                 Underworld            56 -> 58           

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1082 - Mon Aug 05 22:28:23 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Bishop
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1.A Bishop is represented by the ASCII character B 
2. A Bishop can in a diagonal direction in a single straight line, up to a
maximum distance of 10 ,
provided all the squares between the cuurent square and the destination
square are unoccupied.
3. A Bishop's material value is 6

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:48:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1087 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1087
  Proposal 1087 - Mon Aug 05 22:31:14 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Jester
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

7 YES votes   3 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  44 -> 53

7 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  27               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  53               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  12               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  73               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  28               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  64               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  226 -> 228          
  Brinjal                                      24 -> 26           
  ThinMan                                      70 -> 72           

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1087 - Mon Aug 05 22:31:14 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Jester
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1.A Jester is represented by the ASCII character J
2. A Jester can move exactly two squares in any given direction. It may skip
any piece that occupies the intervening square, between the Jester's  current
square and the Jester's destination square.
3. A Jester's material value is 3

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:48:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1088 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1088
  Proposal 1088 - Mon Aug 05 22:31:35 EDT 1996
  Loophole-Free Contracts Rewrite
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

9 YES votes   3 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  228 -> 237

9 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 237               
  Robin Hood                                  =  27               
  Brinjal                                     =  26               
  ThinMan                                     =  72               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  53               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  12               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  32               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -15               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            73 -> 75           
  Habeous Corpus                               28 -> 30           
  Techno                 Underworld            64 -> 66           

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1088 - Mon Aug 05 22:31:35 EDT 1996
Loophole-Free Contracts Rewrite
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule entitled "Sorry", which reads in full:

{{All extant contracts are hereby destroyed. This has precedence over
all other mutable rules.}}
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Repeal R 514, "Contracts"
Repeal R 551, "Contracts, Preventing Abuse"
Repeal R 607, "File Clerk, Creation of:"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:46:14 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1085 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1085
  Proposal 1085 - Mon Aug 05 22:30:10 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece CopyCat
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

7 YES votes   3 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  26 -> 35

7 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  27               
  Brinjal                                     =  24               
  ThinMan                                     =  70               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  35               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  12               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  28               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  224 -> 226          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            69 -> 71           
  Techno                 Underworld            60 -> 62           

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1085 - Mon Aug 05 22:30:10 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece CopyCat
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A CopyCat is reprsened by the ASCII character O
2. A CopyCat can move either 3 or 5 squares in any given direction, provided
that all the squares between the current square, and the destination square
are unoccupied. 
3. A CopyCat captures a piece only according to the rules by which the
captured piece can capture.
for example - a CopyCat can capture a Rook, using a Rook's move, it can
capture a Knight using a Knight's move. etc.. et."
4. A CopyCat's material value is 7

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:45:26 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1083 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1083
  Proposal 1083 - Mon Aug 05 22:28:59 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Pawn
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

8 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  25 -> 34

8 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  26               
  Brinjal                                     =  23               
  ThinMan                                     =  70               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  34               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  11               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  68               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  27               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  222 -> 224          
  Techno                 Underworld            58 -> 60           

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1083 - Mon Aug 05 22:28:59 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Pawn
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A pawn is represented by the ASCII character p .
2. A pawn can move exactly one square either horizontally, or verically,
provided that the distance between the quare the pawn occupied, and the
square j10, does not increase, where distance is defined as the larger of
dR, and dC
3. A pawn can capture, only by moving diagonally, a distance of one square,
into a square occupied by an opponent's piece,  provided that the distance
between the quare the pawn occupied, and the square j10, does not increase,
where distance is defined as the larger of dR, and dC
4. a pawn is a promotable piece. When a pawn reaches one the following
squares: j10,j11,k10,k11, it is immdiately promoted. It can be promoted to
any legal PartyChessPiece the chosen by the Swinger.
5. A pawn can only be Placed on one of the columns a,b,s,t ; and on one of
the rows 1,2,19,20
6. A pawns's material value is 1

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:47:53 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1086 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1086
  Proposal 1086 - Mon Aug 05 22:30:35 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Echo
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

8 YES votes   2 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  35 -> 44

8 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 226               
  Robin Hood                                  =  27               
  Brinjal                                     =  24               
  ThinMan                                     =  70               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  44               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  12               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  28               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            71 -> 73           
  Techno                 Underworld            62 -> 64           

2 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32
  Wayne                  Underworld            = -15

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1086 - Mon Aug 05 22:30:35 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Echo
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. An Echo is represented by ASCII character E.
2. The legal move for an Echo depends on the play made by the Swinger
controlling the Echo in the previous round.
 a. If the play in the previous round was either Pass or Placement, then
there is no legal move for an Echo.
 b. If the play in the previous round was either Move or Capture, then the
legal move of an Echo is identical to the legal move of the friendly piece
that either Moved, or Captured in the previous round
3. If the Swinger controlling the Echo played in either a Special D-turn, or
a Special DD-Turn after eir normal play in the previous round, then the
legal move for an Echo is identical to the move of the friendly piece that
either Moved or Captured, during the Special D-Turn, or Special DD-turn.
This section takes precedence over section 2 of this rule
4. An Echo's material value is 7

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:42:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1117

Proposal 1117 - Tue Aug 13 14:42:14 EDT 1996
Blue Cross Automation Again
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

 Amend rule 549, The Blue Cross, to read, in full:
 {{
 0. The following steps are executed, in order:
 
 i. All Undead stop haunting all Blue Crosses, Silver Stripes, Gold Stripes,
 and Blue Cross Bonuses.  All Blue Crosses, Silver Stripes, Gold Stripes, and
 Blue Cross Bonuses are destroyed.
 
 ii. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to Robert Sevin.
 
 iii. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to Wayne.
 
 iv. An unowned Blue Cross Bonus with Mohammed's name on it is created and
 stored in the Treasury, and the Undead named Mohammed begins haunting it.

 v. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to /dev/joe. 
    [Note that I no longer fall into the category in section vi below.]
 
 vi. A Blue Cross Bonus is given to each player who would have been given
 a Blue Cross Bonus between the time the proposal which created this rule
 was distributed and the time it was accepted, had section 3 of this rule
 been in effect since the proposal was distributed.
 }}
 
 1. Each player has a Blue Cross Rank; it is a non-negative integer.
 At all times, a player's Blue Cross Rank is equal to the number of
 proposals he submitted which have been accepted, plus an additional 10
 if he has a Blue Cross Bonus.  If a player has registered for the game
 and quit one or more times previous to his most recent registration,
 proposals he made under his previous registration(s) shall count
 towards his Blue Cross Rank if they were accepted, even if he wasn't a
 player when they were accepted.
 
 2. No player may ever have more than one Blue Cross Bonus; this takes
 precedence over any other mutable rule which would give a player more
 than one Blue Cross Bonus.  Any time a player has more than one Blue
 Cross Bonus, all but one of his Blue Cross Bonuses are destroyed.  Any
 time a rule requires that a player be given a Blue Cross Bonus, one is
 created with his name stamped in gold upon it, and it is given to that
 player.
 
 3. When a President or Senator has ended a term in office by resigning,
 or due to his term of office expiring, and he has served at least 6 weeks
 in that office, then he is given a Blue Cross Bonus if he does not
 already have one, except in the case that the player resigned from the
 office of President or Senator while an Impeachment Paper was pending to
 remove him from that office.
 
 4. A player with a Blue Cross Rank of 20 or more qualifies for a Blue Cross.
 
   a. For each 40 points of Blue Cross Rank above 20 that a player has, he
      qualifies for a Gold Stripe.  For each 10 points of Blue Cross Rank a
      player with a Blue Cross has beyond that required for his Blue Cross
      and all his Gold Stripes, he qualifies for a Silver Stripe.
 
   b. No player ever qualifies for more than 3 Silver Stripes or 4 Gold
      Stripes, and a player who qualifies for 4 Gold Stripes does not qualify
      for any Silver Stripes.  This section takes precedence over section a.
 
 5. Any time a player has too many Blue Crosses, Silver Stripes, and/or
 Gold Stripes for his Blue Cross Rank, as defined by the previous section,
 then medals are taken from him and destroyed such that he no longer has
 too many.  Any time a player has too few of any of these medals, the
 President, Proconsul, or Senator may award medals of the appropriate types
 to that player until he has enough of each type.  The Frobozz Magic Medal
 Company, Ackanomic Division, performs the creation and destruction of
 these medals as medals are to be awarded or destroyed.
 
 6. A player with at least one Gold Stripe shall have the title "Officer of
 the Blue Cross."  A player with four Gold Stripes shall have the title
 "Commander of the Blue Cross".

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:39:26 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1116

Proposal 1116 - Tue Aug 13 14:39:25 EDT 1996
The Law of Party Gravity
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
   
     a proposal to create a rule entitled "The Law of Party Gravity" which
     contains the following text:
     "
     1.
      a. Each Swinger has a SwingScore. 
      b. When ever Swingers' Weights are recalculated, their scores are 
         incremented in the following manner:
         (i) The SwingScore of the Swinger with the highest Absolute 
             Weight is incremented by 3
         (ii) The SwingScore of the Swinger with the second highest 
              Absolute Weight is incremented by 2
         (iii) The SwingScore of the Swinger with the third highest Absolute 
               Weight is incremented by 1
     
     2. SwingVotes
     a. When ever the Round Count is incremented to a number that, when
     divided by RoundFreq, results in an integer, SwingVotes are
     distributed according to the following scheme
     The number of SwingVotes received by each Swinger=
     the largest integer smaller than 
     [(the Swinger's SwingScore / (RoundFreq * number of Swingers)) +0.4]
     
     b. After SwingVotes were given to Swingers, all SwingScores are  
      reset to 0 (zero)
     c. SwingVotes may only be created or destroyed as described in this
     rule.

     d. SwingVotes may be sold, traded, or given away. Parties may
     regulate the way in which the SwingVotes owned by their Swinger are
     sold, traded or given away.
     
     e. The NAP Swinger may only sell, trade, or give away SwingVotes to
     non-aligned players.

     f.(i) A player who owns a SwingVote may cast it for or against a
     proposal, in addition to any other vote they may cast according to
     other rules. a SwingVote can only be used once. After a SwingVote has
     been counted it is destroyed
     (ii). For any single proposal, a given player may cast at most one
     SwingVote
     (iii). For any single proposal, a given party may cast at most two
     SwingVotes.
     (iv). The total number of SwingVotes used by non-aligned players is
     limited only by section 3.f.(ii) of this rule, and is not limited by
     section 3.f(iii) of this rule
     (v) If more than two SwingVotes are cast by a single party on a
     given proposal, then only the first two are counted. The SwingVotes
     which have been cast but not counted, are destroyed, as if they have
     been used.
     (vi) This rule takes precedence over R390

     3.RoundFreq can only be changed in one of the following ways:
     a. When a proposal to change RoundFreq is accepted.

     b. Exactly one week after at least a third of all Institutions
     currently in session agree
     on a change. If , during that week, at least 50% of the Institutions
     in session decide against the change, the change does not take place.

     c. RoundFreq must be an integer equal to or greater than 3, and 
        smaller than the number of Swingers multiplied by 2.5  . When 
        ever FoundFreq does not meet either of these criteria it is set 
        to the largest integer smaller than the number of Swingers 
        multiplied by 2.5
     
     4. Tie-Fighter
     As long as a Tie-Fighter condition exists, the following things
     happen:
     a. SwingVotes are not counted. However, any SwingVotes cast on
     proposals whose voting period during the Tie-Fighter are destroyed
     b. Any player who receives points for eir proposal being accepted, or
     for voting against an accepted proposal, or for voting for a rejected
     proposal receives a bonus, which depends on the Swinger e is
     associated with
     Players associated with the Swinger with the highest SwingScore receive 
     a 5 point bonus.
     Players associated with the Swinger with the second highest SwingScore 
     receive a 3 point bonus.
     Players associated with the Swinger with the third highest SwingScore 
     receive a 2 point bonus.
     c. Plaers who are party members are associated with the Swinger who
     of eir party. Non aligned players are associated with the NAP Swinger

     5. a. It is the duty of the Chess-Umpire to keep track of all aspects of
           SwingVotes.
       b. All transactions that involve SwingVotes must be reported to 
         the Chess-Umpire.
    
   {{
   RoundFreq is set to 3
   All SwingScores are set to zero
  }} 

     "

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:37:03 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1114

Proposal 1114 - Tue Aug 13 14:37:02 EDT 1996
Keeping the Peace (and Quiet)
Habeous Corpus  (Ed Graham)

Amend Rule 712 by adding the subparagraph  (iii) b):

To determine if any Player currently in Gaol is disturbing the peace and
tranquility of the Gaol by singing too loudly.  E may either let em
continue singing,  or stop the singing by telling em in a public message:
"Shut up! We're trying to sleep here!"

[Proposer's note:  This is to head off any _potential_ conflict with Rule
1105.  I put it into the Duties paragraph to allow the Acting Gaoler to
quiet unruly Gaolbirds {as well as those who can't sing}]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 14:37:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1115

Proposal 1115 - Tue Aug 13 14:37:54 EDT 1996
Phoebe for President!
Bascule  (Matt Black)

Create a rule called Phoebe for President! with the following text, 
delimited by the first two instances of the string 
"----------------------------------":

- ----------------------------------

Phoebe, everyone's favourite nanotech, may be persuaded to stand for
election to the post of President. If, during the nomination period
of a Presidential election, at least three players send a message to
the Appointer containing the phrase "I nominate Phoebe for
President", the Appointer will consider Phoebe have volunteered for
the office of President, unless she has decided not to stand in that
election.

If Phoebe should win the election, then the office of Secretary to
the President is created. Because Phoebe spends most of her time
improving Ackanomia in unusual and mysterious ways, she is unable to
devote all her time to the office of President, and to do the job
properly she requires a secretary. It is an office with one seat.

It is the duty of the Secretary to the President (when the office
exists) to maintain a web page with a list of outstanding
Presidential duties. The list must include:

1. Any vacant Justice positions for which a candidate must be
selected (rule 507)

2. Any Blue Crosses, Silver Stripes and/or Bronze Torches that are
yet to be awarded (rule 549)

3. Any appeals for pardon that have yet to be heard.

4. Any other outstanding Presidential duties not mentioned above.

If there are any outstanding Presidential duties listed by the
Secretary to the President when a player finds Phoebe's matchbox,
that player will lose the matchbox after 3 days of finding it, if
they do not open it in the meantime [1].

While Phoebe is President, the Secretary to the President has
responsibility for determining which player finds Phoebe's matchbox,
whenever it is missing [2]. The Secretary to the President should
take this duty very seriously, since the President will find it hard
to perform her duties if she has an inefficient secretary. The
Secretary to the President is responsible for collating votes
regarding the validity of messages posted by players purporting to
quote Phoebe [3], and is required to announce when such votes are
being taken.

If no nominees are found during a nomination period for the office of
Secretary to the President, then Phoebe resigns as President, and
decides not to stand in the subsequent election.

When Phoebe ceases to be President, the office of Secretary to the
President ceases to exist.

This rule claims precedence over rule 730.

[
1. The period is usually a week
2. Usually the duty of the Registrar
3. Usually the duty of the Tabulator
]

Phoebe's Manifesto
- ------------------

Phoebe believes strongly in democracy.

Phoebe wants all players to be able to enjoy the great game of
Ackanomic.

- ----------------------------------

Amend rule 504 by replacing it's text entirely with the following 
text:

"The Presidency of Ackanomia is an Office with one Seat. The player
or Steel Flea defined by the rules who holds that seat is called the
President. The President's Term of Office is 8 weeks. The Presidency
is filled by an Election for Office." 

[ Rule 504 currently reads: "The Presidency of Ackanomia is an Office
with one Seat. The player who holds that seat is called the
President. The President's Term of Office is 8 weeks. The Presidency
is filled by an Election for Office." ]

- ----------------------------------

Amend rule 609 by replacing the sentence 

"The Rule that creates an Office should specify how many players can
hold that Office at any one time." 

with 

"The Rule that creates an Office should specify how many players or
Steel Fleas that are defined by the rules can hold that Office at
any one time."

and replace the sentence

"A Seat is either held by one Player or it is vacant."

with

"A Seat is either held by one Player or one Steel Flea that is
defined by the rules or it is vacant."

- ----------------------------------

Amend rule 611 by replacing part (i) f) with 

"If the rules fail to state who is eligible to volunteer, then all
Steel Fleas defined by the rules and all Players are eligible." 

[Rule 611 (i) f) currently reads:
"If the rules fail to state who is eligible to volunteer, then all
Players are eligible."]

- ----------------------------------

Amend rule 611 by replacing part (ii) a) with 

"A Nomination is conducted. Any Player or Steel Flea defined by
the rules who is eligible to hold the Office is eligible to
volunteer."

[Rule 611 part (ii) a) currently reads: "A Nomination is conducted.
Any Player who is eligible to hold the Office is eligible to
volunteer."]

- ----------------------------------

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #175
*******************************