Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #173
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Tuesday, August 13 1996       Volume 01 : Number 173

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:47:17 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1077 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1077
  Proposal 1077 - Mon Aug 05 11:46:38 EDT 1996
  Slowly Augmenting Presidential Power
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

12 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  209 -> 218

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 218               
  Brinjal                                     =  22               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  51               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  10               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  26               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  56               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  32               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Wayne                  Underworld           -17 -> -15          

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1077 - Mon Aug 05 11:46:38 EDT 1996
Slowly Augmenting Presidential Power
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 973 "Presidential Decisions", to append the following text at the
end of the rule:

      II. Festival

      The President may declare a Festival of Torkola to start on
the day following the declaration, so long as the Festival is in
accordance with R 797.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 797, "Festival of Torkola", in the following ways, numbered
1 thru 4:

1) Replace the string of text which currently reads:

 "5) A Festival is started in one of 3 ways:"

 with:

 "5) A Festival is started in one of the following ways. Other rules may
specify other ways by which a Festival may be started:"

2) In section 4) replace the sentences which reads:

 "This specifically applies to Proposals. Not Resolutions, not CFJs,
not Recall Petitions, etc. Just Proposals."

 with:

 "This specifically applies to Proposals only."

3) In section 5c) to read in full:

"Upon rejection of 3 consecutive proposals due to Quorum not being met, a
Festival of 5 days will automatically start on the day following the
public distribution of the voting results of the third rejection. Any 
rejections which occur during a Festival or before the known start date
of one shall not count. e.g, if 6 proposals are rejected on a Saturday,
the first 3 are sufficient to start a festival on Sunday, and the other
rejections shall be ignored. 

4) Append the following text at the end of the rule:

"6) For the purposes of this rule, and any rule which specifies how a
Festival may be started, "the day following" is defined to start at the
beginning of the calendar day, in the time zone of the Promoter, following
the day the event which started the Festival occurred.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:47:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1079 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1079
  Proposal 1079 - Mon Aug 05 22:26:52 EDT 1996
  Creation of PartyChessPiece Rook
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

10 YES votes   1 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  6 -> 15

10 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  25               
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 218               
  Brinjal                                     =  22               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  15               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  10               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  26               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  56               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -15               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  ThinMan                                      66 -> 68           

1 PRESENT votes:
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  32

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Bascule                FUN                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1079 - Mon Aug 05 22:26:52 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Rook
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

"1. A Rook is represented by the ASCII character R.
2.A rook can move either vertically, orhorizontally, up to a maximum
distance of 10, provided all  the squares between the current square, and
the destination square are unoccupied.
3. A Rook's material value is 9"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 13:58:02 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: RFC

RFC: Heresy for Herstics

Amend Rule 729 by deleting the fifth (5th) paragraph.

[proposer's note:  It's time that another of Malenkai's Loopholes was
closed.  All this paragraph does is allow Malenkai and eir heretical
cronies to get away with saying anything ey wish without fear of the
consequences.  Let's put an end to legalised Heresy!]

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed? -
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 00:48:12 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: retracting 1106

I'm officially retracting proposal 1106 for a minor rewrite.
I'll be resubmitting it very soon.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:40:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1065 Fails

> Here are the voting results for : 1065
>   Proposal 1065 - Fri Aug 02 23:23:16 EDT 1996
>   Blue Cross Automation
>   /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

> 7 YES votes   5 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
> Proposal FAILS

> 5 NO votes:  
>   snowgod                (None Yet)           =   5               
>   this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
>   Habeous Corpus                              =  18               
>   (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
>   mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
> 
> 1 PRESENT votes:
>   Bascule                FUN                   =  48

To the players who voted NO or PRESENT on this proposal:
  What is it in the proposal that you do not like?  I note that the
entire (None Yet) party voted against it.  Does it do something
unfair to your party that I haven't noticed?

To everyone:
  In case it wasn't made clear, the purposes of the proposal were:
1. To simplify calculation of eligibility for blue crosses and stripes.
   As it is now, there is too much interdependence of the awards, and
   in particular, proposals made before a player receives a blue cross
   do not count toward stripes, and if a player somehow loses his
   blue cross, or is not awarded it in a timely manner, some of his
   proposals may not count toward the awarding of stripes.  Stripes are
   not constrained in the same way relative to the awarding of
   additional stripes.
2. To regularize the bonus in crosses/stripes given to presidents and
   senators at the end of their term of office.  As it is, the bonus
   given here could be as much as the equivalent of 20 passed proposals,
   or as little as 1 passed proposal (or none at all!), depending on the
   number of passed proposals the player had at the time they left office.
3. To not give this bonus if a president or senator is removed from
   office by being impeached (if we impeached them, should we then
   immediately honor them with an award for their service in the office?)
   or if they resigned after serving only a short time in office.
4. To limit the bonus from holding office to one instance per player.
   (This was Malenkai's idea.)
5. Originally, I also awarded the blue crosses and stripes automatically.
   Malenkai objected to this, wanting to preserve some of the "ceremony"
   associated with the original rule.  Since the new rule was written so
   that it didn't necessarily depend on timely awarding of crosses and
   stripes, I dropped this part and returned to the original form of
   the rule. The bonus at the end of a player's term as president or
   senator is handled automatically, however.
6. A huge part of the rule handles "initialization" when the rule first
   comes into effect, so that we (hopefully) won't need a "fix-up"
   proposal to fix the one unexpected event that might occur during this
   proposal's voting period.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:51:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Bascule's 

All of Bascule's mail from the list (277 messages at last count) for
over 2 and a half days has bounced, marked delivery "delayed" by his
mail server, so I may soon get to use rule 901 to put him on vacation.

/dev/joe
Postmaster

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:51:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1065 Fails

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > Here are the voting results for : 1065
> >   Proposal 1065 - Fri Aug 02 23:23:16 EDT 1996
> >   Blue Cross Automation
> >   /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
> 
> > 7 YES votes   5 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
> > Proposal FAILS
> 
> > 5 NO votes:
> >   snowgod                (None Yet)           =   5
> >   this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64
> >   Habeous Corpus                              =  18
> >   (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0
> >   mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29
> >
> > 1 PRESENT votes:
> >   Bascule                FUN                   =  48
> 
> To the players who voted NO or PRESENT on this proposal:
>   What is it in the proposal that you do not like?  I note that the
> entire (None Yet) party voted against it.  Does it do something
> unfair to your party that I haven't noticed?

I also note that this proposal went through the public RFC process,
possibly twice.  snowgod raised objections after the proposal was 
distributed by Wayne, which I answered.  No other objections were
raised during RFC, or otherwise.

I'm curious if people want RFCs to continue, especially the long
ones, or should I stop wasting the bandwidth.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 19:01:04 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Vacation

My ISP is acting up again. It's refusing telnet, ftp and pop connections, 
but (interestingly) serving http and dns just fine. Since I have no way 
of reading mail, I'm placing myself on vacation, with expected duration 
of two days. Any emergency communications should be directed to 
<[email-masked]>. I wonder if mail to my account is bouncing....

this is not a name

- --      Mike Epstein            "If the facts don't fit the theory,
      [email-masked]           change the facts."
  *                      *                       --Albert Einstein
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:00:42 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1065 Fails 

>I also note that this proposal went through the public RFC process,
>possibly twice.  snowgod raised objections after the proposal was
>distributed by Wayne, which I answered.  No other objections were
>raised during RFC, or otherwise.

I believe the RFC process should continue.... However...

 Some proposals are controversial, and no amount of Fine Tuning will cause
a player to change his mind on it.  We have all had proposals we've RFCed
fail, and usually it is not becauseof the quality of the rule.  Players who
object to the intent of the proposal, and not the way it is written, are
not likely to respond.

I try to voice an objection to the proposal in general when it is RFC, but
that does stop a player from submitting it.

By the way, I never saw Blue Cross Automation in RFC.

snowgod

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:08:39 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Electronic Potato  

Would the Financier (Acting Financier, Assistant? I just don't know) note
that A$2 should be transferred into my account by the electronic potato in
accordance with it's Blue Print for the passage of R1067?

Also, with the financial confusion latley, I'm not sure if A$8 got
transferred for my other proposals, from the last batch.  Anyone?  Anyone?

snowgod

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 19:07:20 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: silver stripes

I am awarding /dev/joe and Malenkai a silver stripe.  I believe I
counted /dev/joe's correctly.

Malenkai
ProConsul

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 19:17:03 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Church

I am leaving the Church of the Markovian Dream, effective this post.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 19:50:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Electronic Potato 

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> Would the Financier (Acting Financier, Assistant? I just don't know) note
> that A$2 should be transferred into my account by the electronic potato in
> accordance with it's Blue Print for the passage of R1067?
> 
> Also, with the financial confusion latley, I'm not sure if A$8 got
> transferred for my other proposals, from the last batch.  

> Anyone?  Anyone?

I'm here, I'm here.

If anyone else feels that there is extant financial confusion, or they 
would like to volunteer for the job of Acting Financier, please let me
know.  Again, the appointment of Bascule was a joke.  I will not appoint
snowgod at this time.

Also, again if you feel there is confusion, please read and comment on
my RFC to overhaul the financial system.  Its intent is to mitigate said
"confusion".

Sometimes the functional officers get touchy.  Please consider the effort
they put into keeping the game moving along before piling more work on
them.

Malenkai
Acting Financier

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:11:04 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Electronic Potato 

>> Also, with the financial confusion latley, I'm not sure if A$8 got
>> transferred for my other proposals, from the last batch.
>
>> Anyone?  Anyone?
>
>I'm here, I'm here.
>
>If anyone else feels that there is extant financial confusion, or they
>would like to volunteer for the job of Acting Financier, please let me
>know.  Again, the appointment of Bascule was a joke.  I will not appoint
>snowgod at this time.
>
>Also, again if you feel there is confusion, please read and comment on
>my RFC to overhaul the financial system.  Its intent is to mitigate said
>"confusion".
>
>Sometimes the functional officers get touchy.  Please consider the effort
>they put into keeping the game moving along before piling more work on
>them.

Okay, now that you made that public, I'm going to say what I have to say.

I was NOT implying that you were doing a poor job as acting financier.
I was NOT implying that there was widespread confusion financially.

All I was saying was the I was I was unsure if the Electronic Potato
transactions had been recorded in light of the ThinMan's vacation (I didn't
remember seeing it in the log, but I don't remember a lot of things) and if
they hadn't been it would be cool of you to add them.  If they had been,
all you need have done was ignored that part of the message, or maybe
informed me that YES they had been.

I'm sorry if my message came of as an implication that you were neglecting
the job of Assistant Financier.  That was not my intent.

snowgod
All I wanted was my A$2 for  my new rule :)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:34:09 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official 

The Auction for the Whamiol will end tonight while I am at work.

The current high bid is A$75, bid by Habeous Corpus.

I will accept all bids until the Auction period ends.  I believe it ends at
about 20:50 Eastern Time.  For the exact time, visit Malenkai's current
events page.

I will announce the auction results when i get home from work tonight.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:27:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 263 (Bascule)

Malenkai has declined to judge CFJ 263, citing possible conflict of
interest.  He has written extensive reasoning exploring the question,
however, and askes the Judge to read it.

Bascule has been selected, and has 3 days to accept/decline.  Hopefully
his e-mail will be back on line soon.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 263
  Subject: Vending Machine
Initiator: snowgod
    Judge: Malenkai (declined to judge)
2nd Judge: Bascule (selected Aug 12, 1996, 21:24h New York Time)

Statement:

Malenkai may not create a vending machine by invoking R115.

Reasoning:

I have two sets of reasoning.  Either one should be sufficient to require a
verdict of TRUE.

#1 - R115 states that "Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated
by a rule is permitted and unregulated, with the sole exception of changing
the rules, which is permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly
or implicitly permits it."  At first this would seem to indicate that
Malenkai could indeed create a Vending Machine, per R115.  However, there
already exists a blueprint for an item called a vending machine, which is
regulated by the rules.  R593, R594 and R786 in full or in part regulate
blueprints, and therefore regulate the vending machine.

However, even if the judge finds fault with that argument, please consider
the following...

#2 -     R703 tells us that "Nothing in Ackanomic shall have the name or
title as any other thing in Ackanomic, with the exception that a Rule title
may be the same as the name of an Entity that rule defines. Rules, Players,
Offices, Organizations, Political Parties, and Entities defined in the
rules are specifically covered by this rule, but other things may be
covered as well. Proposals are specifically not covered.  "

This rule does not exclude entities created by R115, so by inference we may
conclude that they are covered.  Since there already exists a blueprint
with the a name of "Vending  Machine" it seems clear the Malenkai may not
create an item with the same name.

First Judge's Comments:

Again, the conflict of interest question.  As ThinMan once pointed out, a
predisposed opinion on the issue does not necessarily indicate a 
conflict of interest.  Furthermore, if the statement can be decided by
*fact*, as opposed to opinion or interpretation, conflict of interest
is meaningless.

I shall thus explore the issue, and determine if it can be decided by
fact.  If not, I shall decide whether or not to decline.

snowgod's first argument is fallacious.  R 115 allows Malenkai to create
a Vending Machine.  It does not allow Malenkai to create a gadget or
a blueprint, as blueprints and the act of creating a gadget are
protected.  Malenkai did neither of these things, although the Vending
Machine he instantiated has *similar* properties to a gadget described
by an extant blueprint.

snowgod claims in argument one, that because the rules regulate blueprints,
they regulate vending machines.  He does not give us any reason to take
that leap of faith, however.  Thus, by implication, snowgod is claiming
that blueprints are rules.  Are they?  I quote from R 594:

>[A Blueprint is not a legally binding document except where the Rules
> say that it is.]

A quote in notes brackets.  Certainly indicates that blueprints are not
rules.  When R 594 passed, the text in square brackets was defined by
rule to be game custom.  I see no evidence that that statement is no
longer game custom (i.e., blueprints have not recently become rules).

Thus the rules (as blueprints), do not regulate Vending Machines.

snowgod's second argument is fallacious.  snowgod quotes R 703 in
attempting to establish a claim that because an entity exists called
"vending machine", Malenkai may not instantiate such, similarly named,
via R 115.

This claim falls apart on 2 counts, either of which is sufficient to
sink it.     

First, there is no other extant entity called "vending machine".  
snowgod claims the "blueprint for vending machine" is called "vending
machine".  Game  custom indicates otherwise:  For example:

Blueprint for Electronic Potato/Electronic Potato
Blueprint for Scroll of Crumble/Scroll of Crumble
Blueprint for The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Much, Really/ 
   The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Much, Really
Blueprint for Whamiol/Whamiol

If snowgod's second argument was true, none of these gadgets could have
been created either.  This is pretty strong factual evidence that the
blueprint for an entity is prefixed with the word "blueprint", thus
avoiding the R 703 name conflict.

Secondly, even if there is a conflict, R 703 provides a remedy; it does
not prevent the creation of the entity:

> 3. If two names are discovered to be identical, the procedure below is
> followed to resolve the problem:
> a. If a name chosen by a player (such as a player name, party name,
> church name, etc.) conflicts with a name previously in use, the player
> choosing the name may not use that name and must choose a new name.

It is clear that the object may still be instantiated.  

If snowgod's second argument is true, then all extant gadgets must be
destroyed, effective the time they were built.  It is obviously false.

I do note, however, that because of Malenkai's extant vending machine,
no other  entity of that name may continue to exist without a name
change per R 703.

I thus have shown that a verdict of FALSE is necessary.  Back to the
conflict of interest thing.  If my argument is solid, it should not matter
if I decline and let another judge have at it.  If my argument has
overlooked something, it would be a conflict of interest to render the
verdict.  

Thus I decline to judge, but ask the next judge to consider my reasoning.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:36:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vending Machine

In accordance with R 115, I am adding the following properties to my
vending machine:

1) It continiously radiates an invisible force shield that prevents it
destruction by any entity other than Malenkai or a rule.  The force
shield is passable so that it is useable, however.

2) It says the phrase "Ellsworth Toohey" 20 times a minute for 20
minutes, then continiously says it 10 times a minute.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:58:05 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 264 (SMH)

Simon Marty Harriman has been selected, and has 3 days to
accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 264
  Subject: InterNomic Proposal Submissions
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Simon Marty Harriman (selected Aug 12, 1996, 21:57h New York Time)

Statement:

All players, including the Liaison, may make only one InterNomic Proposal
per week.

Malenkai's reasoning:

From R 970:
      
> Any Ackanomic Player may request the Liaison to make an InterNomic
> Proposal by sending the Proposal to the Liaison, but may only do so
> once per week.

Certainly the Liaison is a player (either Ambassador or Speaker).  I see
no rule giving the Liaison the priviledge of submitting more than one
per week themself.  InterNomic proposal submission is protected, of
course.

The Liaison is a collator, similar to the Witchfinder General or the
Tabulator, or the Clerk of the Courts.  Those offices do not get extra
votes (or whatnot) just because they are the collator and distributor
of such.  Why is the Liaison any different?  Are we saying the Liaison
would get more votes, also, when tabulating the "will of Ackanomic"?

I bring this up because the entity AckaNomic is the player in InterNomic,
not the Liaison.  The InterNomic world sees our proposal submissions as
the work and will of AckaNomic, not as the work and will of a single player
of AckaNomic, hence the once per week clause.

I have nothing against allowing a single player to submit multiple 
proposals to InterNomic per week.  If that is the will of AckaNomic,
the rules  should be changed to reflect that will, however, and the
priviledge should be available to all players, not just one.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 22:46:52 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 265 (SMH)

Simon Marty Harriman has again been selected, and has 3 days to respond.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 265
  Subject: Tabulating Votes for InterNomic Matters
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Simon Marty Harriman (selected Aug 12, 1996, 22:40h New York Time)

Statement:

The Assistant Tabulator is the officer responsible for tabulating votes
for the purposes of how Ackanomic will vote upon any matter in 
Internomic.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

From R 970:

> Whenever Ackanomic is permitted to vote upon any matter in Internomic,
> the Liaison shall initiate a vote in Ackanomic to determine how he
> should cast Ackanomic's vote in Internomic. The Liaison shall establish
> reasonable procedures for such voting, and shall cast Ackanomic's vote
> in accordance to the results of the vote.

The key phrases are "initiate a vote" and "establish reasonable 
procedures".

"Initiate a vote" can be rendered 2 ways, "reasonably".  First would be
to initiate the process of voting within Ackanomic, in accordance with the
rules of Ackanomic, second would be to announce and conduct such vote.

Either rendering leads to the Assistant Tabulator actually conducting 
and reporting the vote.

I quote from R 414:

> The Duties of the Assistant Tabulator are: 

> (a) to handle solicitation, tabulation, and reporting of votes on all
> Ackanomic matters, excluding Proposals and Resolutions. This includes,
> but is not limited to: [actual list cut]

> This clause (a) and its subsections (a.x), take precedence over any
> other mutable rule which denies the Assistant Tabulator these duties,
> or would define an alternate procedure or officer (including Tabulator),
> to perform them. 

Given the first rendering, it falls to the Assistant Tabulator, as that
is the officer which handles "tabulation, and reporting of votes on
all Ackanomic matters, excluding Proposals and Resolutions".  Determining
how Ackanomic should vote in Internomic matters is not a "Proposal"
or "Resolution".

The second rendering indicates that it falls to the Liaison, but R 414
explicity claims precedence: "...or would define an alternate procedure
or officer".  See the quote above.

Having the Assistant Tabulator tabulate and report on these votes is
"a reasonable procedure".  Furthermore, it is what our rules require.
A verdict of TRUE is necessary.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 23:10:52 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Score Report

Scorekeeperness:

Here are the scores, up through the scoring on proposal 1079 at
22:26 EDT tonight:

Score	Ackanomic Name   Status  Real Name
- -----	--------------      ---  -------------
209	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
176	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
68	ThinMan              V   (John Bollinger) 
65	this is not a name   V   (Mike Epstein) 
56	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
51	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
32	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
26	Habeous Corpus       A   (Ed Graham)
25	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
15	Mellon              IV   (Niklas Mellin)
12	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
9	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
8	De'ghew              V   (John Spickes) 
6	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
0	Geezer               N   (David Chapman)
0	Simon Marty Harriman A   (Andy Swan) 
- -3	fon                  V   (Adrian Smith) 
- -3	Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -10	chess piece face     V   (Paul Swan) 
- -15	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
- -24	Pascal               V   (Jason Reed) 
- -33	Calvin N Hobbes     IV   (Thierry Joffrain)

I've changed the status symbols so that IV is now used for involuntary
vacations so that I can be used for On Ice.

Postmasterness:

Bascule's mail stopped bouncing (the last messages I got from his mail
server is dated Aug 12, 22:48 +0100 (or 17:48 EDT); no more bounces
have arrived since the other message I posted about it.
tinan's mail is not bouncing yet either.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 23:12:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Magic Potato (Wayne)

This time I remembered while it was still Monday where I am.

Wayne has the Magic Potato this week.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #173
*******************************