Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #172
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, August 12 1996        Volume 01 : Number 172

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 00:31:03 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Finance and Trading 

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Amend R 1046 to add the following paragraph at the end of the rule:
>
>"The Little Lamb and Wool Sweaters are tradeable."
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thibnking about this earlier today.  The little lamb should be mimsy
and non tradable.  Just because a player is in possesion of the lttle lamb
doesn't mean he owns it.  Transferrence of the little lamb should only
occur in accordance with the rules.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 00:34:00 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ambassador 

Proposal 301 and 302 have been voted on by all members of internomic.
Results look very favorable for the adoption of both of these proposals.
However, the official voting period is 4 weeks, and the moderator is not
allowed to announce results until such time as the voting period is over.

When P301 passes it will fix this problem by changing the voting period
from 4 weeks to for weeks or whenever all member nomics have cast votes.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 07:54:07 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Finance and Trading

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> >-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >Amend R 1046 to add the following paragraph at the end of the rule:
> >
> >"The Little Lamb and Wool Sweaters are tradeable."
> >
> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> I was thibnking about this earlier today.  The little lamb should be mimsy
> and non tradable.  Just because a player is in possesion of the lttle lamb
> doesn't mean he owns it.  Transferrence of the little lamb should only
> occur in accordance with the rules.

mimsy is someone else's problem.  Specifying the lamb as tradeable, then
trading it would be transferring it in accordance with the rules.  I
will strike the lamb from the list, however.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:00:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 263 (Malenkai)

Malenkai has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days to respond.
I haven't decided if I think its a conflict of interest yet.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 263
  Subject: Vending Machine
Initiator: snowgod
    Judge: Malenkai (selected Aug 12, 1996, 08:00h New York Time)

Statement:

Malenkai may not create a vending machine by invoking R115.

Reasoning:

I have two sets of reasoning.  Either one should be sufficient to require a
verdict of TRUE.

#1 - R115 states that "Whatever is not explicitly prohibited or regulated
by a rule is permitted and unregulated, with the sole exception of changing
the rules, which is permitted only when a rule or set of rules explicitly
or implicitly permits it."  At first this would seem to indicate that
Malenkai could indeed create a Vending Machine, per R115.  However, there
already exists a blueprint for an item called a vending machine, which is
regulated by the rules.  R593, R594 and R786 in full or in part regulate
blueprints, and therefore regulate the vending machine.

However, even if the judge finds fault with that argument, please consider
the following...

#2 -     R703 tells us that "Nothing in Ackanomic shall have the name or
title as any other thing in Ackanomic, with the exception that a Rule title
may be the same as the name of an Entity that rule defines. Rules, Players,
Offices, Organizations, Political Parties, and Entities defined in the
rules are specifically covered by this rule, but other things may be
covered as well. Proposals are specifically not covered.  "

This rule does not exclude entities created by R115, so by inference we may
conclude that they are covered.  Since there already exists a blueprint
with the a name of "Vending  Machine" it seems clear the Malenkai may not
create an item with the same name.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 06:58:01 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: Campaigning

Ackazens:

Vote for Habeous Corpus for Senate!

As your new senator,  I promise to keep the traditional values handed
down by the Ancient Ones:  Strict adherence to the Rules{the sillier, 
the stricter},  Love of technological community above self,  and a firm
belief in putting down all Heresy.

I will also do my best to see that only tough,  fair and honest Justices
are confirmed to the Supreme Court.  There will be no place in our courts
for coruption. {That's reserved for the Politicians.}

I would also like to offer my personal congratulations to snowgod,  both
on eir election,  and eir good taste to vacate this senate seat as e took
office.  This demonstrates the moral fiber we need in Ackanomia (as well
as giving me a chance at a seat in the senate).

Now that you know where I stand on the issues facing the senate,  please
cast your vote for Habeous Corpus.  I need the paycheck if I'm to afford
that Whamiol.

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed? -
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 08:15:18 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vending Machine

A possible problem has been pointed out to me between the name of an
entity I created, (a "Vending Machine"), and an extant entity ("Blueprint
for a Vending Machine").

I believe the names of these entities are different (they look different
anyway), thus I see no problem. I would point out, hovever, that if an
entity "Vending Machine" were to be made from the "Blueprint for a
Vending Machine", that its creator  would be abliged to to find a
different name in accordance with R 703. This would not destroy the
item, of course, as R 703 delineates a procedure to fix the problem.

I point out that there may be some argument as to whether the blueprints
are named as I described, and what effect there is if they are not.
Game custom indicates this is the case.  snowgod may argue that
Blueprints are named as the item they create  (without the "Blueprint for"),
and thus all other extant objects of the same name may not be created
(and he has made a CFJ statement to that effect).  If this argument is
true, then all extant inventions are hereby destroyed.  (And thus bidding
on that Whamiol is throwing money away!).
  
Malenkai

R 703:
      
> 3. If two names are discovered to be identical, the procedure below is
> followed to resolve the problem:      
> a. If a name chosen by a player (such as a player name, party name,
> church name, etc.) conflicts with a name previously in use, the player
> choosing the name may not use that name and must choose a new name.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:28:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1065 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1065
  Proposal 1065 - Fri Aug 02 23:23:16 EDT 1996
  Blue Cross Automation
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

7 YES votes   5 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

/dev/joe loses 9 points.  159 -> 150

7 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                  192 -> 193          
  Brinjal                                      18 -> 19           
  ThinMan                                      65 -> 66           
  Niccolo Flychuck                              5 -> 6            
  /dev/joe                                    150 -> 151          
  Techno                 Underworld            52 -> 53           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -20 -> -19          

5 NO votes:  
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   5               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  18               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Bascule                FUN                   =  48

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:28:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1066 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1066
  Proposal 1066 - Fri Aug 02 23:23:18 EDT 1996
  Revising Revision Numbers
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 11 players cast votes

12 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  151 -> 160

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 193               
  Brinjal                                     =  19               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  48               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   5               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
  /dev/joe                                    = 160               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  53               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -19               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Habeous Corpus                               18 -> 20           

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1066 - Fri Aug 02 23:23:18 EDT 1996
Revising Revision Numbers
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend rule 822, "Revision Numbers, Defined" by changing the title to
"Revision Numbers" and changing the text to read, in full:

In addition to its effective ordinal number, each rule has a revision
number.  Rule numbers may be written as X/R; in any such construction, X is
the effective ordinal number and R is the revision number.

Each rule's revision number is equal to the number of times that rule has
been changed, since its creation, except that changes due to the Spelling
Bee or due to the deletion of specially delimited text, or due to the rule
amending itself, shall not be counted, and if a proposal changes a rule in
more than one way [such as transmuting a rule, amending it, and then
transmuting it again] then this counts as only one change.

{{[ This creates more work for me in the short term, but makes some things
easier later, and reduces the ugliness that occurs after an immutable
rule has been trans-amend-trans-ed. ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:29:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1067 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1067
  Proposal 1067 - Sun Aug 04 23:43:23 EDT 1996
  Cow Town Hotel
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

13 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

snowgod gains 9 points.  5 -> 14

13 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 193               
  Brinjal                                     =  19               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  48               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  20               
  /dev/joe                                    = 160               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  53               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Wayne                  Underworld           -19 -> -17          

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1067 - Sun Aug 04 23:43:23 EDT 1996
Cow Town Hotel
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

This rule establishes a Hotel named Cow Town. It is a classy building.

Cow Town is located near the Library, at 32 Yellow Roosevelt Avenue in the
bottom of a crater filled with water.

Cow Town is a hideout for Gaolbirds.  Any player who has been found guilty
of violating the rules (per CFCJ)  can enter Cow Town during their "grace
period".  This is accomplished by publically posting a message that reads
"I'm going down to Cow Town, Cow's a friend to me.  Live's beneath the
ocean, that's where I will be. Beneath the waves, the waves, and that's
where I will be. I'm going to see the Cow beneath the sea."  Imediatly
after the posting of such a message, an eligable player will enter Cow
Town.

Any player in Cow Town is a Fugitive and should be reffered to as such in
any public message.

No player may enter Cow Town except as specified in this rule.

 The fee for staying in Cow Town is A$25 a night. Whoever is serving as
Gaoler at the time of the passage of this rule shall be considered the
owner of Cow Town.  Her may do with the hotel as he sees fit, however
selling the hotel to another player is considered to be bad form, and
players are allowed to sneer.  The only exception to the sneering bit is if
a former gaoler wishes to sell the hotel to a newly elected gaoler.

Any Player who is staying in Cow Town may submit proposals, vote on
proposals, call for judgement, deliver judgement, transfer currency in
accordance with the rules, or leave Cow Town of their own consent.  A
player in Cow Town may also go on vacation or return from vacation.

Any Player who is staying in Cow Town may not perform any action that is
not on the above list unless it is allowed by an immutable rule.  Upon
entering Cow Town all privlidges that a player is entitled to are suspended
until the player leaves Cow Town.

No player in Cowtown may beremoved from Cow Town without first giving their
consent.  This rule takes precedence over Rule 1018 and any mutable rules
dealing with heresy, witchhunts, the justice system or the gaol.

The gaoler may visit Cow Town, but shall never stay there.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:30:21 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1068 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1068
  Proposal 1068 - Sun Aug 04 23:43:36 EDT 1996
  Fixing the Senate Loophole
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

11 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  193 -> 202

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 202               
  Brinjal                                     =  19               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  48               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
  /dev/joe                                    = 160               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  53               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  snowgod                (None Yet)            14 -> 16           
  Habeous Corpus                               20 -> 22           

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1068 - Sun Aug 04 23:43:36 EDT 1996
Fixing the Senate Loophole
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 609, "Offices, Commonalities", to replace the text of section
(i)  Seats:, with the following:

             The Rule that creates an Office should specify how
             many players can hold that Office at any one time.
             This is referred to as the number of "Seats" an
             Office has.  If the Rules fail to specify the
             number of Seats for any given Office, the Office
             has only one Seat.  A Seat is either held by
             one Player or it is vacant.  No player may hold
             more than one seat for a given Office, including
             any seat held in an acting capacity,

{{ original text:
             The Rule that creates an Office should specify how
             many players can hold that Office at any one time.
             This is referred to as the number of "Seats" an
             Office has.  If the Rules fail to specify the
             number of Seats for any given Office, the Office
             has only one Seat.  A Seat is either held by
             one Player or it is vacant.
}}

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 457, "Vacation", in the following ways:

1) replace the third paragraph to read in full:

While a player is on vacation, the player shall not not be randomly
selected for anything. The player shall also not be chosen to perform any
task. The duties of any offices held by the player shall be performed by
the Speaker or someone appointed by the Speaker. The person assuming
the duties of these offices is said to be assuming them in an acting
capacity, and as such, these appointments or assumption must be made in
accordance with R 609, section (i). It is permissable for an acting 
officer, appointed by this clause, to assume the duties of another
acting officer.  

2) replace all occurrances in the rule of the word "Register" with the
word "Registrar".

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:31:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1069 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1069
  Proposal 1069 - Sun Aug 04 23:43:51 EDT 1996
  Fixing Proposal Retractions
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

14 YES votes   0 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  202 -> 211

14 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 211               
  Brinjal                                     =  19               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  48               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  16               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  22               
  /dev/joe                                    = 160               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  53               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1069 - Sun Aug 04 23:43:51 EDT 1996
Fixing Proposal Retractions
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Transmute R 104 to Mutable.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 104 to read, in full:

      All proposals made in the proper way shall be voted on, unless they
are retracted, nullified, or deemed invalid in accordance with the Rules.
In these cases, they are removed from consideration, and are considered
to be neither accepted or rejected. 
  
      When a proposal's prescribed voting period ends, or all players have
cast a vote on a proposal, then that proposal is accepted if a quorum has
been achieved and the required number of YES votes were cast on the
proposal.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmute R 104 to Immutable.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Amend R 414, "The Office of the Tabulator" to add the following after
section (d) under "Duties of the Tabulator"

"The Tabulator need not perform duties (a),(b), or (c) on any proposal
which has been retracted, nullified, or deemed invalid in accordance
with the Rules."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:42:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1070 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1070
  Proposal 1070 - Sun Aug 04 23:44:10 EDT 1996
  Neuropreservation
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

9 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 9 points.  16 -> 7

9 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                  211 -> 212          
  Brinjal                                      19 -> 20           
  Bascule                FUN                   48 -> 49           
  snowgod                (None Yet)             7 -> 8            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            64 -> 65           
  Habeous Corpus                               22 -> 23           
  Techno                 Underworld            53 -> 54           
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            29 -> 30           

5 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  /dev/joe                                    = 160               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:43:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1071 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1071
  Proposal 1071 - Sun Aug 04 23:44:33 EDT 1996
  Chartreuse Goose
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

8 YES votes   6 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 9 points.  212 -> 203

8 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   23 -> 24           
  Malenkai               FUN                  203 -> 204          
  Brinjal                                      20 -> 21           
  Bascule                FUN                   49 -> 50           
  snowgod                (None Yet)             8 -> 9            
  Techno                 Underworld            54 -> 55           
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            30 -> 31           

6 NO votes:  
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  23               
  /dev/joe                                    = 160               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      
=====================================================

Tammany was bribed by Malenkai for A$10.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:44:16 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1072 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1072
  Proposal 1072 - Sun Aug 04 23:44:57 EDT 1996
  Voting stuff
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

12 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  160 -> 169

12 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  24               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  50               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   9               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  /dev/joe                                    = 169               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  55               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  31               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  204 -> 206          
  Habeous Corpus                               23 -> 25           

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1072 - Sun Aug 04 23:44:57 EDT 1996
Voting stuff
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Amend Rule 201, to read in full:
   "In a vote on a proposal, the quorum required is that at least 50% of
    the active players cast their one vote allowed by rule 390.  Vacationing
    players who do not vote are not considered active for the purpose of
    determining quorum."

2. Amend Rule 390 to read, in full:
   "Each player may cast one vote on each proposal.
    Other entities may vote only as specified by other rules."

3. Amend Rule 566 to read, in full:
   "A player may pay A$100 to the Treasury to buy an extra vote on a proposal
    of his choice.  When a player does this, the Treasury will cast a vote
    on the proposal in the same way that player voted on that proposal.
    This vote shall be marked with that player's name when the voting
    results are released, but it does not count as having been cast by
    that player.  Each player may buy only one vote per proposal in this
    manner."

{{[ I want to clear up any possibility of "extra votes", gnome votes, etc.
    triggering the rules that have effects based on voting, in addition to
    cleaning up the poor wording addressed by CFJ 220. ]}}

4. Amend Rule 797 by changing "3rd failure" in part 5c to "3rd rejection".
   {{[ leftover terminology-check fix ]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:44:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1073 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1073
  Proposal 1073 - Sun Aug 04 23:44:59 EDT 1996
  Office stuff
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

13 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  169 -> 178

13 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  24               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  50               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   9               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  25               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  55               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  31               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                  206 -> 208          

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1073 - Sun Aug 04 23:44:59 EDT 1996
Office stuff
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

1. Amend Rule 457 by changing:
    "The duties of any offices held by the player shall be performed by
     the Speaker or someone appointed by the Speaker."
   to:
    "The duties of any offices held by the player shall be performed by
     the Speaker or someone appointed by the Speaker, unless some other
     rule provides for an Acting Officer or some other assignment of these
     duties."

 {{[ This ensures that the above won't be used to try to fill functional
     offices, since R612 provides for a different way to handle them. ]}}

2. Amend section (iv) of rule 609 by changing:
    "In such a case, the Player is responsible for performing all of the
     Duties without receiving any of the Privileges of the Office."
   to:
    "In such a case, the Player is responsible for performing all of the
     Duties without receiving any of the Privileges of the Office, except
     for Privileges which are also explicitly defined to be Duties by the
     rules, or Privileges required to perform explicitly defined Duties."

3. Amend rule 648 by adding to the end, as a separate section:
    "Voting on confirmations is a duty of the office of Senator."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:44:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1074 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1074
  Proposal 1074 - Sun Aug 04 23:45:22 EDT 1996
  Slowly Augmenting Presidential Power
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

11 YES votes   0 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  208 -> 217

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  24               
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 217               
  Brinjal                                     =  21               
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  50               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   9               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  25               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  55               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

2 PRESENT votes:
  /dev/joe                                     = 178
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  31

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1074 - Sun Aug 04 23:45:22 EDT 1996
Slowly Augmenting Presidential Power
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 973 "Presidential Decisions", to append the following text at the
end of the rule:

      II. Festival 

      The President may declare a Festival of Torkola to start on
the day following the declaration, so long as the Festival is in
accordance with R 797.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 797, "Festival of Torkola", in the following ways, numbered
1 thru 4:

1) Replace the string of text which currently reads:

 "5) A Festival is started in one of 3 ways:"

 with: 

 "5) A Festival is started in one of the following ways. Other rules may
specify other ways by which a Festival may be started:"

2) In section 4) replace the sentences which reads:

 "This specifically applies to Proposals. Not Resolutions, not CFJs,
not Recall Petitions, etc. Just Proposals."

 with:

 "This specifically applies to Proposals only."

3) In section 5c) replace the phrase "the public disclosure of the 3rd
failure" with:

"the public distribution of the voting results of the third rejection"

4) Append the following text at the end of the rule:

"6) For the purposes of this rule, and any rule which specifies how a
Festival may be started, "the day following" is defined to start at the
beginning of the calendar day, in the time zone of the Promoter, following
the day the event which started the Festival occurred.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 96 12:45:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1075 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1075
  Proposal 1075 - Mon Aug 05 11:45:57 EDT 1996
  Syzygy (or, I want a Parade)
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 12 players cast votes

9 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 9 points.  217 -> 208

9 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   24 -> 25           
  Malenkai               FUN                  208 -> 209          
  Brinjal                                      21 -> 22           
  Bascule                FUN                   50 -> 51           
  snowgod                (None Yet)             9 -> 10           
  Habeous Corpus                               25 -> 26           
  Techno                 Underworld            55 -> 56           
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            31 -> 32           

5 NO votes:  
  ThinMan                                     =  66               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   6               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  /dev/joe                                    = 178               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -17               

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Geezer                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      
==============================================
Tammany was bribed by Malenkai for A$5

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #172
*******************************