Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #171
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, August 12 1996        Volume 01 : Number 171

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 09:08:41 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka: Congratulation President Snowgod

I'd like to be the first to congratulate Snowgod of his election for
President of Ackanomia.

It's been a fun campaign. I enjoyed it immensely, and I consider it a
success, since we managed to get quite a big turn-out for the elections.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 02:14:05 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

I take myself off vacation.

Now only 148 acka-messages to read! :-)

this is not a name

- --      Mike Epstein            "Do you mind if I sit back a little?
      [email-masked]           Because your breath is very bad."
  *                      *             --Donald Trump to Larry King
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:09:16 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official 

Though the rules allow a player to be both a senator (or two) and president
at the same time, it is probably not a good precedent to establish.  I
would hate to see a future president appoint a justice, and confirm him
himself.

Anyway, might as well share the wealth.  Let as many players hold office as
possible.

I am resigning from the senate (seat a).

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:09:21 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: acka: Congratulation President Snowgod 

>I'd like to be the first to congratulate Snowgod of his election for
>President of Ackanomia.
>
>It's been a fun campaign. I enjoyed it immensely, and I consider it a
>success, since we managed to get quite a big turn-out for the elections.

Thank you, Niccolo.  I enjoyed the campaign immensely too.  It gave us both
plenty of opertunities to be silly and have a little bit of fun.  You were
a worthy oppenent (my last didn't even cast a vote for herself :)) and I
wish you luck in future campaigns.

I will begin my term as president immediatly.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:09:34 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Report 

The current High bid for the Whamiol is A$32, bid by Niccolo Flychuck.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 09:47:14 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate Seat

I nomination for the senate seat vacated by snowgod begins now, and 
ends 3 days from the date of this post.

If you wish to compete for this seat, tell me at [email-masked].

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 09:56:44 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 258 Verdict

CFJ 258 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 258
Subject: Cash Flow Paradox
Initiator: /dev/joe
Judge: snowgod (selected Aug 02, 1996, 19:39h New York Time)

Statement:
  The legality of /dev/joe calling a CFCJ cannot be determined with finality.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:
  There are two contracts, both of which appear enforceable by CFJ 249
(unless the File Clerk's fee demand makes the second one non-Enforceable).
One of these continually transfers all the money not in the treasury to
this is not a name and /dev/joe, while the other continually transfers
all money those players have to ThinMan and Malenkai.  Therefore, all the
money not in the treasury is continually being transferred between these
players, and at any given moment it is uncertain whether /dev/joe has
any A$.  One of the requirements for submitting a CFCJ is paying a A$20
court fee to the Treasury; by the above reasoning it is unclear if such
action is legal.

snowgod's reasoning:

ThinMan wrote, in a message to the public forum:

>Now that CFJ 257 has been judged TRUE, /dev/joe's argument falls apart.  In
>particular, his statement that his and tinan's contract transfers money is
>wholly false.  Moreover, his statement that mine and Malenkai's contract
>transfers money is likewise incorrect.  /dev/joe and tinan are guilty of
>non-compliance, but there is no paradox.

Which sums up my feelings better than I could do myself.

Although I have some doubts as to if a paradox would have existed even if
these contracts were enforcable.  The act of transferring money appears
occurs as soon as it is initiated.  There is no time delay involed.
Therefore, if the money is continuosly being transferred between the four
players involved in contracts, at any given moment, each of those players
would have all the money.  Or at least, they would have all the money at
some point in time during the calling of the CFCJ.  A small sum of this
money would then be removed from circulation and placed into the treasury
while the rest continues transferring.

I, therefore, return a verdict of FALSE.

As a sidenote, the Court would like to apologize for being so late with
this verdict.  Seems the CFJ slipped under a cushion on the judge's sofa,
and if he hadn't been digging around for change to buy some gum, the
deadline might have slipped by unnoticed.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 11:18:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:" Gaolbirds

>> A player may, if it is allowed by the gaoler, sing additional stanzas
to a
>> sad little Gaol Song while in Gaol, but is not required to.

>This paragraph will need to claim precedence.  This is unfortuate, as
>Gaol claims precedence and has a lower number.  I suppose the rule could
>exist, and this clause be dormant, or such singing could come under 
R 115.

>Malenkai
>Criminals have no rights

Another fix for this paragraph would be to just remove the clause "if it
is allowed by the Gaoler".  Since this is not covered as one of the
Gaoler's Priveleges,  it would have to claim Precedence somehow. 
However,  if it were removed,  nothing would prevent the Gaolbird from
continuing to sing,  if it is eir wish.  If snowgod could give an
Internomic announcement (as opposed to Report) or give the results of a
Solitaire Nomic game played while in Gaol,  I can see nothing to prevent
Gaolbirds from singing. {Maybe we should insert a clause prohibiting
Vogon poetry,  as this would constitute cruel and unusual punishment for
the Gaoler}.  

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 10:46:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 258 Verdict

> CFJ 258 has been judged FALSE.
> Subject: Cash Flow Paradox
> Initiator: /dev/joe
> Judge: snowgod (selected Aug 02, 1996, 19:39h New York Time)
> 
> Statement:
>   The legality of /dev/joe calling a CFCJ cannot be determined with finality.

> snowgod's reasoning:
> 
> ThinMan wrote, in a message to the public forum:
> 
> >Now that CFJ 257 has been judged TRUE, /dev/joe's argument falls apart.

CFJ 257 has nothing to do with my argument.  All CFJ 257 does is eliminate
the possibility that Rule 607 could make a contract non-Enforceable
(and presumably the same for Rule 551).  My reasoning for this CFJ
appears below; the only thing that CFJ 257 does is eliminate the concern
I expressed in the second line.

>   There are two contracts, both of which appear enforceable by CFJ 249
> (unless the File Clerk's fee demand makes the second one non-Enforceable).
> One of these continually transfers all the money not in the treasury to
> this is not a name and /dev/joe, while the other continually transfers
> all money those players have to ThinMan and Malenkai.  Therefore, all the
> money not in the treasury is continually being transferred between these
> players, and at any given moment it is uncertain whether /dev/joe has
> any A$.  One of the requirements for submitting a CFCJ is paying a A$20
> court fee to the Treasury; by the above reasoning it is unclear if such
> action is legal.

> >In 
> >particular, his statement that his and tinan's contract transfers money is
> >wholly false.

The supreme court will have to decide the truth of this statement in
deciding on CFJ 251.

> >Moreover, his statement that mine and Malenkai's contract
> >transfers money is likewise incorrect.  /dev/joe and tinan are guilty of
> >non-compliance, but there is no paradox.

This may be true.

> Although I have some doubts as to if a paradox would have existed even if
> these contracts were enforcable.  The act of transferring money appears
> occurs as soon as it is initiated.  There is no time delay involed.
> Therefore, if the money is continuosly being transferred between the four
> players involved in contracts, at any given moment, each of those players
> would have all the money.  Or at least, they would have all the money at
> some point in time during the calling of the CFCJ.  A small sum of this
> money would then be removed from circulation and placed into the treasury
> while the rest continues transferring.

This argument also may be true, so I am not appealing this CFJ.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 12:29:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 253 Verdict

CFJ 253 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 253
Subject: Hey, you can't do that
Initiator: Brinjal
Judge: /dev/joe (selected Aug 02, 1996, 18:58h New York Time)

Statement:

The contract between this is not a name and /dev/joe is non-Enforcable

Brinjal's Reasoning:

:From Rule 514:
> (iii) A Contract is not Enforceable if any behaviour it
> regulates violates any of the rules.
>
> (iv)  A Contract ceases to exist immediately upon being
> non-Enforceable.

The final sentence of the contract states that:
> "On all proposals where /dev/joe and this is not a name vote the same
>  way, all other players are required to vote that way also."

Even without the vacation rule we have at least one player currently
in gaol who is prohibited from voting. In requiring such a player to
vote, this contract is attempting to oblige a player to commit an
illegal act. This is a direct breach of part (iii) of rule 514.
Thus by R514 (iv) the contract immediately ceases to exist.

I also note that transferring A$ while in Gaol is probably also
illegal, but that is a moot point if the reasoning above is
accepted.

/dev/joe's reasoning:

If the contract is Enforceable, then the correct verdict is FALSE.
If the contract was non-Enforceable, then by Rule 514, it ceased to
exist immediately upon being non-Enforceable, and so did not
exist when this CFJ was submitted, and this CFJ is false because it
refers to the contract as having some property in the present tense.
"The contract *was* non-Enforceable" might have been judged differently.

Until I realized the above, I was going to judge this UNDECIDED, since
the statement of this CFJ is very similar as that of CFJ 251, which is
currently in the supreme court.  CFJ 251's statement is also a better
way to write the statement of this CFJ.

The initiator of this CFJ supplies a different reasoning that that
supplied in CFJ 251; I have commented on 251's reasoning already.
The reasoning supplied with this CFJ depends on the verdict for
CFJ 256.  The supreme court should consider this CFJ's reasoning in
judging CFJ 251.  If CFJ 256 is TRUE, CFJ 251 is undecidable and
perhaps should be judged INVALID.  If CFJ 256 is FALSE, the reasoning
should determine if this CFJ's reasoning is valid, which may determine
the verdict for CFJ 251.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:47:01 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Report 

The current High Bid for the Whamiol is A$50, bid by Bascule.

Unless someone wants Bascule to have all the cool toys, i'd reccomend
someone else bid on this :)

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:50:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Financial Corrections

I noticed I miscalulated the finances in the following ways:

A player on vacation does not receive salary for functional office.
correction: cpf -A$6.

The Appointer receives a salary of A$1.
correction: tinan +A$2.

A Funtional Officer receives A$3 + A$1 for each office held.  The rule
is not worded as was probably intended, meaning that if a player holds
any funtional office, they receive salary for all offices, even 
non-functional ones.  I intend to fix this, in a general tinkering with
the finance stuff I'm looking into.

corrections:

/dev/joe: +A$1 (president, last week in july)
tinan: +A$2 (again, for appointer)
smh: +A$1 (for senator, 8/6 only, when he became Chess-Umpire)
ThinMan: +A$2 (for senator)

Malenkai
Acting Financier

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you know how much, exactly, to bid on that Whamiol:

Now, add in the 8/5 bond yields, 8/6 salaries, and the last entries
on the log + corrections.  Balances as of 8/11 19:00:

/dev/joe             959
Bascule              558
Brinjal              553
Calvin N Hobbes      427
chess piece face     458
De'ghew              635
fon                  530
Geezer               661 
Habeous Corpus       914 
Malenkai            1092
Mellon               920 
mr cwm               525 
Niccolo Flychuck     518
Pascal               501
Robert Sevin         493 
Robin Hood           776
Simon Marty Harriman 495
snowgod              385
Techno               768
ThinMan              824 
this is not a name   704
Wayne                821

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 01:07:58 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

> I am appointing Brinjal to fill ThinMan's senate seat on an acting
> basis, until ThinMan returns.  I realise this is not long from now,
> but "Fixing the Senate Loophole" is scheduled to pass soon 
(hopefully),
> and I do not wish to be out of compliance.
> 
> Malenkai

Come back Thinman, all is forgiven.
But anyway, what a (brief) honour!

Brinjal

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 16:33:34 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Report 

The Current High bid is A$75, bid by Habeous Corpus.

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 16:33:38 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official 

I have been invited to dinner at this is not a name's house tonight, and
have accepted the invitiation.  He promises to serve me a delicious meal,
the main course of which will be The Little Lamb.

snowgod
true to my campaign promises

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 23:41:57 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1111

Proposal 1111 - Sun Aug 11 23:41:57 EDT 1996
Song of the JailBird
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

A player who has been sentenced to the Gaol must sing at least three
stanzas of a sad little Gaol Song before going to Gaol.  The lyrics to this
song must be posted to the public forum, so that all players can feel the
pain of the convicted criminal.

This song may be sung at any time during the grace period of the convicted
criminal, but doing so during the hour imediatly before the player is to be
placed in the Gaol is prefered.

A player may, if it is allowed by the gaoler, sing additional stanzas to a
sad little Gaol Song while in Gaol, but is not required to.  This section
takes precedence over any rule which would deny a player in the Gaol the
right to sing.

If a player does not sing (and post lyrics) to at least three stanzas of a
sad little Gaol Song before entering the Gaol his sentence shall be
increased by two days.

No player may sing a sad little Gaol Song which is substantially similar to
one which has already been sung by another player.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 23:42:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1113

Proposal 1113 - Sun Aug 11 23:42:48 EDT 1996
#proposal
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - President
Inventor - Former Senator (seat a)  - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 23:45:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1113

Please ignore this proposal.   I mistyped and sent out the wrong stuff.
I will now skip over #1113 for the next proposal so that there will
be no more confusion than neccesary.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 96 23:46:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1112

Proposal 1112 - Sun Aug 11 23:42:48 EDT 1996
The Harfy Stuff
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

1)  Create a new rule entitled "Let there be Harf!" with the following text:

{{[joint authorship points:] snowgod loses 3 points, Malenkai gains 3
points.}}

{{The title of Harfmeister is stripped from all players who currently
have it.  All proposals currently designated as Harfy shall no longer
be so designated. [we've got to fix Malenkai's loophole]}}

At any given time, there will be, at most, a single player with the title
of Harfmeister. The title of Harfmeister cannot be transferred or awarded
except as described in the rules.  If, at any time, no one has the title
of Harfmeister, or the player with the title is "on ice", the title
is given (or transferred) to the Speaker.

The Harfmeister may designate proposals currently under consideration
(in the voting queue) as Harfy, by publically announcing that he or
she is doing so.  No more than three proposals may be designated as
Harfy at the same time.  Once so designated, a proposal may never lose
its Harfy status, until it is accepted or rejected, at which time it
does. The Harfmeister may not designate his or her own proposals as
Harfy, however.  Proposals may only be designated as Harfy by methods
explicitly defined in the rules.

Upon the acceptance of a Harfy proposal, the title of Harfmeister passes
from the current Harfmeister to the author of the Harfy proposal.  If
two or more Harfy proposals are accepted simultaneously, the title of
Harfmeister shall go to the author of the highest numbered one.

The Harfmeister may use his or her discretion in determining what is to be
considered Harfy for the purposes of this rule, but it is considered
bad form to designate a proposal as Harfy that is not really "Harfy",
and other players are permitted to sneer.

- ------------------------------

2) Create a new rule entitled "And the Harf shall inherit the Earth!" with
the following text:

If a proposal designated as Harfy is accepted, it's author receives a 5
point "Harfy Bonus".  This is considered a score change based on the
content of the proposal.

This rule takes precedence over any other mutable rule which would deny
such a bonus.

- ---------------------------

3) Create a new rule entitled "Let those who are without Harf cast the
first stone." with the following text:

If any player feels the Harfmeister is hogging the Harf [that is, sitting
on the title of Harfmeister with no intent to designate any proposals as
Harfy], they may call for a Inquistition by publically announcing they
are doing so.

During the Inquisition, which lasts 3 days, players send their votes to
the Assistant Tabulator (hereafter referred to as the Assistant Tabulator)
containing the name of the alleged Harf Hogger. Players can vote either
"No! He's going to share the Harf!", or "Yes! He is Hogging the Harf!"

After the Inquisition is over, a simple majority will determine whether
or not the alleged Harf Hogger has been hogging the Harf. The Assistant
Tabulator will publicly announce the outcome.

If a majority agree that the Harfmeister is hogging the Harf, the person
who called for the Inquisition becomes the Harfmeister.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 00:11:24 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC Finance and Trading

RFC - Finance, v1- Malenkai

{{[so I have another long RFC.  This came about for several reasons:
I never knew if an entity was tradeable or saleable (because of protection,
things that common sense indicated were, weren't), and I just wanted
to say so in a rule, and inherit stuff.  I saw some problems  (a couple
of them serious) when I became acting Financier, and I wanted to fix
them.  And, I never seemed to know my account balance.

The following amendments attempt to fix the following problems:

1) Unambigiously define what Tradeable means, so a rule can specify
that an entity is tradeable, and inherit that structure.

2) Define the Financier's duties, and fix some problems with the FM.

3) Synchronize bond cycles to salaries (Monday 12N Eastern time).  End
of cycle does not kilter bond cycles.

4) Clean up some office/salary stuff.

5) Make cosmetic changes by explicitly using the term A$.  I have a 
comment about that later.]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
Amend R 482 as follows:

1) Change it title to "Office of the Financier and Free Market".

2) Amend it to read, in full:

I.  Financier 

The Office of the Financier (OotF), or Financier, is a Functional
Office. 

The duties of the Financier are:

	a) To maintain accurate records of all players' account
balances, and a log of all debits and credits to those balances.

	b) To maintain a list of balances and assets of all non-player
entities, such as the Treasury.

	c) To publish all account balances on at least a bi-weekly
basis, and to make the logs or balances available to any player upon
request.

	d) To maintain the Free Market (FM), and to verify any transaction
made there was made in accordance with the rules. The Financier is 
responsible for overseeing the lawful functioning of any entity that
deals on, is related to, uses the FM, when using the FM. This includes
the authority to negotiate and resolve conflicts or disagreements between
such entities according to the rules, tradition, or to the best of his/her
judgement, in that order. 

The priviledges of the Financier are:

	a) To appoint up to 2 assistants, to help in gathering, maintaining,
and publishing information pertaining to the above. These assistants
may resign.

	b) To receive the usual salary for a functional officer.

II.  Trading and the Free Market (FM)

     1) All entities are either Tradeable or non-Tradeable.

     2) An entity is Tradeable if and only if the rules specify that it
is, otherwise it is non-Tradeable.  The rules may specify specific 
conditions or mechanisms for non-Tradeable entities to be traded or
transferred; this rule defers to any such rules where there is a 
conflict.  Tradeable entities may only be transferred by methods
described in the rules.

     3) The FM is a bulletin board where players may post a desire to
make a trade, and is where a record of all trades are kept.

     4) Two players may trade a non-negative quantity of a Tradeable entity
for another non-negative quantity of another (or the same) Tradeable
entity on the FM, as described following. (If one of the quantities is
0, the trade may be specified as a "gift" or "donation" for convienence).  

     5) Both players must consent to the trade, and must own sufficient
quanitity of the entity to fulfill their half of the trade.

     6) The trade is completed (unless it is deemed unlawful) by both
players posting their consent to the public forum, along with a description
of the trade.

     7) A record of the trade is recorded on the FM by the Financier.  If
the Financier determines that the trade is not in accordance with the 
rules, it is deemed never to have happened.

     8) Other rules may specify other methods in which Tradeable entities
may be transferred, independent of the FM.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 480, "Creation of the AckaDollar" to replace the last sentence
of the rule with: "AckaDollars are tradeable".

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 481, "Creation of PF Bonds", to replace the last sentence of the
rule with: "PF Bonds are tradeable. They may not be broken into 
fractional PF bonds."

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 567, "Tools V"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 786, "Gadgets", so that section (iii) reads:

"(iii) A Gadget has at most one owner. Gadgets are tradeable."

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 818, "Prosthetic Foreheads", to replace the first paragraph
with:

      "This rule creates a type of entity known as a Prosthetic Forehead.
There is an endless supply and an endless variety of Prosthetic Foreheads.
Prosthetic Foreheads are protected and tradeable."

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 891, "The Press", to replace all occurrances of
"Newspapers may be traded among players", with "Newspapers are tradeable".

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1018 "Hotels" to replace all occurrance of 

"A Hotel is considered to be an asset [and therefore can be bought and
sold on the Free Market]."

with

"Hotels are tradeable."

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1023 "Auction" to make the following changes:

1) Replace section 1) a), which currently reads:

      "a) the item to be Auctioned, which must be unowned if the Rules
are calling for the Auction, and must be owned by the Player calling the
Auction if it is being called by a Player."

with:

      "a) the item to be Auctioned, which must be unowned if the Rules
are calling for the Auction, and must be a tradeable entity owned by the
Player calling the Auction if it is being called by a Player."

2) replace all occurrances of the term "currency" with the string "A$s".

3) replace all occurrances of the phrase "day of the week" with "day
of the month". 

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1036, "Rock, Creation of", to make the following changes:

1) Change the title of the rule to "Rock".

2) Add the following sentence to the end of the first paragraph: "The
rock is tradeable".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1046 to add the following paragraph at the end of the rule:

"The Little Lamb and Wool Sweaters are tradeable."

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

{{[what follows are alot of cosmetic changes to the office, salary, 
and money stuff.  I also replaced things like "official currency" 
"currency", and "units of currency" with references to the A$
explicity.  In some cases this fixes a loophole.  As for the argument
that some could raise about this explicitness, I have the counter
argument, but not the bandwidth now.]}}

Amend R 510 in the following ways:

1) Change its title to "Tools I and II"

2) Amend it to read:

      No player may use more A$'s to buy, trade, give or in any way move
out of his account, than there are in his/her account at that moment in 
time. In other words, a player may never voluntarily go into debt, but it
is possible that a player may go into debt involuntarily. 

      If a player is in debt, that player continues to earn A$s from jobs,
yields, interests, donations, and selling or auctioning assets for currency. 

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 511, "Tools II"

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 554, "Tammany", to replace the word "units" with the word "A$s"
in section (iv) c.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 565 "Tools III (b)" to read:

      "At the end of every two weeks, the PFs will yield a dividend to the
player owning them at that instant in time. The dividend of a single PF
will be calculated from the change in the score of the player the bond
was initially issued to. The dividend will be 1% of the change in the
issued player's score over that two weeks if his/her score went up.
Otherwise, it will yield an effective debt of -0.5% of the change in
score per PF. This yield will be credited or deducted from the PF owner's
account.

       The end of a two week cycle shall be Monday 12:00 EDT of the
appropriate week." 

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 569, "Overturning Judgements", to replace all occurrances of the
string "2 Ackadollars" with "A$2".

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 612, "Functional Offices, Commonalities" to replace section (ii)
a) to read as follows:

	"a) A$3 plus A$1 for every Funcitonal Office held."

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 615, "Speaker", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units"
with "A$10".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 609, "Offices, Commonalities", to replace section (v)
with the following:

      (v)   Salaries:

             If the Rules specify that a particular Officer is to
             be paid a salary in A$s periodically as one of the
             Privileges of Office, the payment happens every Monday
             at noon Eastern time, if the salary is weekly.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 665, "Treasury and Hard Money", as follows:

1) In the section labelled "Hard Currency:", replace the string 
"AckaDollars" with "A$" every time it appears in the last sentence of the
section.

2) In the section labelled "No Ackapennies:", replace the string 
"AckaDollars" with "A$" every time it appears in the section.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 666, "End of Cycle", to replace item j) with the following:

      "j) Bond payments are reinstituted, as if all players' scores were
0 at the end of the previous bond cycle."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 710, "Criminal Justice", to make the following changes, in the
order listed:

1) replace all occurrances of the string "20 units of currency" with
"A$20".

2) replace all occurrances of the string "units of currency" with
"A$".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 712, "Gaoler", to replace all occurrances of the string "currency"
with "A$s".

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1018, "Hotels", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units
of the official currency" with "A$10".
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 1046, "Baaa", to replace all occurrances of the string "10 units
of the official currency" with "A$10".
 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #171
*******************************