Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #170
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Sunday, August 11 1996        Volume 01 : Number 170

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 03:42:32 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vote! 

This is a non-campaign message!

I would like to request of every single player that you vote, regardless of
your choice of  candidates.

Send your vote to Malenkai <[email-masked]> today.  The election ends soon.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 03:47:41 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Report 

The high bid for the Whamiol is currently A$1 - bid by Malenkai.

Do I hear A$2?

This could be your once in a lifetime chance to buy a gadget at a bargain
basement rate.  A little work on it's owner's part, and he could be a very
prosperous man.  Sure, it's a gamble, but the odd's are good and the
payoffs are high.

Come on... Let's get those bids in!

Cheif Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 03:59:32 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Time Check 

I just switched email clients (from eudora 2.13 to 3.0 if anyones interested).

I am posting this message do /dev/joe can make sure my time stamp is still
correct.

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 15:26:44 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Question Time (Presidential Debate Cancelled)

As snowgod suggested, I too, would more than happy to answer questions
from the Ackanomic populace. I will be logging in a several more times
before the elections are over, and therefore will  be available, almost
continously to answer question, comment on snowgod's replies (and I expect
he would comment on mine), and address whatever issues ackanomians feel to
be significant.

Niccolo Flychuck 

Running for President 

Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat (designed by Techno, and not just to secure
the silly vote, really :)

Vote for 
Niccolo Flychuck - 
The Logical Choice.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 15:28:25 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vote!

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> This is a non-campaign message!
> 
> I would like to request of every single player that you vote, regardless of
> your choice of  candidates.
> 
> Send your vote to Malenkai <[email-masked]> today.  The election ends soon.
> 
Since it is a non-campaign message, I can only join snowgod in urging
those of who have note voted yet to log in there, and send that e-mail

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 08:43:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1105

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> At 2:14 AM 8/10/96, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> >> Proposal 1105 - Sat Aug 10 01:43:36 EDT 1996
> >> Song of the Jailbird
> >> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
> >
> > [stuff deleted]
> >
> >> No player may sing a song which has been previously sung by another player.
> >
> >Hmm, so if I have sung The Star Spangled Banner previously, no other
> >player may sing it, ever?
> >
> >I think this sentence needs to be re-worded so that it more specifically
> >applies to that rule.
> 
> I suppoe you are right.  It should say "No player may sing a sad little
> Gaol Song, whose lyrics are identical to those of a song which has been
> previously sung."

"whose lyrics are *similar* to those..."

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 08:52:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: CFCJ penalty stuff

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>  
> Malenkai's method has problems
> such as: if a gadget is transferred as a penalty, what if the new owner
> breaks it before the appeal is decided?  We might just leave it this way,
> and say that life isn't always fair.

Although I do not object to your rewrite, this was intentional.  Similar
thought to not fixing it at all, originally.

> However, in the last couple days, I have been considering my own rewrite
> of section 7 of Criminal Justice.  In addition to fixing the hole snowgod
> fell into, I wanted to explicitly allow the supreme court to impose
> a penalty (in the case when a CFCJ is initially ruled FALSE and changed
> to TRUE), and I wanted to add a "convicted criminals pay court costs by
> default" clause.  All these changes are to this one section of rule 710,
> and I was thinking of a change like this:
> 
> If a section labeled 7 or 7a exists in the rule, replace the entire
> text of that section with the following:

I believe this type of conditional rule change is invalid (or can be
invalid), per CFJ 259.  I was going to work on a RFC to explicitly
allow this.
 
>   Upon a verdict of TRUE, the judge or supreme court may retain or
>   alter the recommended penalty.  The result, plus a transference of
>   an amount of currency equal to the court fee from Player X to the
>   initiator of the CFCJ, will become the actual penalty. This will be
>   imposed following a 3 day grace period if the verdict is not appealed
>   during this time.  This takes precedence over all mutable rules
>   and game custom which establish or dis-establish a "grace period".
> 
> With Malenkai's new version of Locations, I will need to drop
> "if the verdict is not appealed" but otherwise it should work whether
> or not Locations passes.

I would just wait for locations to pass.  Criminal justice isn't used
that much, so the delay of a week won't hurt, unless you think the 
conditional rule change is ok.

I also note that mr cwm has a proposal (Patent Infringement) that mucks
with the criminal justice stuff, that has to wait for locations to go
through.

That is my next project, to think of a way to allow implicit conditionality
in rule changes, so we son't have to deal with this clashing and delays
of proposals.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 09:07:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 262 (bascule)

Bascule has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 262
  Subject: Absentee legislation
Initiator: Wayne
    Judge: Bascule (selected Aug 10, 1996, 09:08h New York Time)

Statement:

A player on vacation cannot submit proposals to be distributed.

Wayne's reasoning:

[none provided - CotC]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:25:00 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 262 (bascule)

I thought the vacation rule was pretty clear on that one.
The problem occurs what to do about a player who submitts a proposal prior
to going on vacation, and it is only distributed after he has anounced his
vacation. 
So far we have accepted these proposals, and I think we should continue to
do so, because the player can hardly be held responsible for such a delay.
I doubt any player would favor submitting a proposal he would not be able
to vote on due to vacation.

Niccolo Flychuck

Running for President.

Not missing another chance to remind you to vote.

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Bascule has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> 
> Call For Judgement 262
> Subject: Absentee legislation
> Initiator: Wayne
>   Judge: Bascule (selected Aug 10, 1996, 09:08h New York Time)
> 
> Statement:
> 
> A player on vacation cannot submit proposals to be distributed.
> 
> Wayne's reasoning:
> 
> [none provided - CotC]
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 09:27:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 261 (snowgod)

Brinjal failed to respond to this, and thus is a deadbeat judge,
requiring me to invoke that detestable R 691.

Aug 09 23:24 EDT: -10 Brinjal: failed to respond to CFJ 261

snowgod has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days
to respond.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 261
  Subject: Scientific Inquiry
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Brinjal (failed to respond)
2nd Judge: snowgod (selected Aug 10, 1996, 09:27h New York Time)

Statement:

If a Blueprint is judged to create a Gadget who's behaviour could
*potentially* break the Rules (or it could *possibly* be used to break
the rules), the Blueprint is destroyed in accordance with R 594.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

R 594 is not clear. I think it should be. In particular, the rendering
of "conflict" in R 594 (ii) should be clarified.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 10:32:25 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1106

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1106 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:16 EDT 1996
> The Law of Party Gravity
> Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
> 
> ....skipping to the most important part
> 
>      6. It is the duty of the Tabulator to keep track of all aspects of
> SwingVotes.
> =========
> Are you going to make a CFCJ against me when I don't do this? Or does
> someone else wish to be the Tabulator?

Niccolo Flychuck wrote:

>Since such most directly effects the results of proposals, I doubt there
>would by any officer better suited for the job. How can the Tabulator
>determine how to count a SwingVote unless he has all the information about
>who has how many of them. If the Tabulaotr keeps track of that
>information, then it will always be readily available for him.

>Is it the entire concept of the rule that you oppose, of just this last
>clause?

I think you have to be sensitive to the amount of work the functional
officers do to keep this game running.  I do alot less than Wayne and
/dev/joe, and it can be overwhelming for me sometimes, to the extent that
its not possible to participate in actual gameplay.

My advice, if you are going to create more work for a functional officer,
is to clear it with that officer before submitting it.  I realise that
you may not have thought it too complicated, but that judging index stuff
would have had you looking for another CotC.  I admit that I did not
think it was too complicated until I was staring at it in the proposal
queue.

Malenkai
Speaker (speaking, I suppose)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 11:00:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1105

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1105 - Sat Aug 10 01:43:36 EDT 1996
> Song of the Jailbird

"Gaolbird" would retain consistancy.
 
> A player may, if it is allowed by the gaoler, sing additional stanzas to a
> sad little Gaol Song while in Gaol, but is not required to.

This paragraph will need to claim precedence.  This is unfortuate, as
Gaol claims precedence and has a lower number.  I suppose the rule could
exist, and this clause be dormant, or such singing could come under 
R 115.

Malenkai
Criminals have no rights

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 11:06:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1107

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1107 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:32 EDT 1996
> ammend R990
> Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

> [[As the rule stands now, with Thinman's ammendments, if a PCPD is
> repealed...

I guess I'm in a pedantic mood today, sorry.  I point out that the above
will probably not have the intended effect of removing the text in 
[[double square]] brackets.  R 545 was rewritten by Mohammed.  {{[use
R 870 to write self-deleting notes, if that is what you want]}}.

Of course, the CSRR could remove these.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 18:10:24 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1106

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> >Is it the entire concept of the rule that you oppose, of just this last
> >clause?
> 
> I think you have to be sensitive to the amount of work the functional
> officers do to keep this game running.  I do alot lessthan Wayne and
> /dev/joe, and it can be overwhelming for me sometimes, to the extent that
> its not possible to participate in actual gameplay.
> 
> My advice, if you are going to create more work for a functional officer,
> is to clear it with that officer before submitting it.  I realise that
> you may not have thought it too complicated, but that judging index stuff
> would have had you looking for another CotC.  I admit that I did not
> think it was too complicated until I was staring at it in the proposal
> queue.
> 
> Malenkai
> Speaker (speaking, I suppose)
>
That is good advice.  Do you have an alternative to suggest to me?

I have always been willing to hear the opinions of other players on any
proposal, or RFC I submit. (btw , this was posted verbatim as an RFC,
an since there were no comments I assumed there were no objections)

If I see any good suggestions I'll consider them for either a rewrite, or
an ammendment. There will sufficient time to do that before any actual
work needs to be done, considering that the first set of SwingVotes would
only be given out after the 2nd round of PartyChess, which we're not
playing yet. So the only SwingVotes that will be generated will result
from changing levels.

I'll bounce off some thoughts here.
Do you think this should be the duty of the Chess-Umpire?
It makes some sort of sense, since he manages everything else in
PartyChess. 
If I make it the duty of the Chess-Umpire, then the tabulaotr and the
Chess-Umpire should establish between them some sort of constant
communication.
Thus, the Chess-Umpire will actually keep track of 'all aspects of
SwingVotes', the tabulator will mail the Chess-Umpire a list of all the
SwingVotes received for each proposal, and the Chess-Umpire will approve
them.
I don't think this procedure should be spelled out in the rule, once the
(rewritten) rule establishes this establishes duty of the Chess-Umpire,
they could work out this scheme among themselves.

Originally, this rule was designed to work equally well with any game
played in Party Hall. I suppose this is not a very important requirement
though.

rfc

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 18:12:36 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1107

On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> [email-masked] wrote:
> > 
> > Proposal 1107 - Sat Aug 10 01:46:32 EDT 1996
> > ammend R990
> > Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
> 
> > [[As the rule stands now, with Thinman's ammendments, if a PCPD is
> > repealed...
> 
> I guess I'm in a pedantic mood today, sorry.  I point out that the above
> will probably not have the intended effect of removing the text in 
> [[double square]] brackets.  R 545 was rewritten by Mohammed.  {{[use
> R 870 to write self-deleting notes, if that is what you want]}}.
> 
> Of course, the CSRR could remove these.
> 
> Malenkai
> 
I'll re-read the proposal to see how this serious this problem really is.

And please, be pedantic.

Niccolo Flychuck

Presedential Candidate - the Logical Choice

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 11:17:58 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1109

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1109 - Sat Aug 10 01:49:54 EDT 1996
> Modesty
> Brinjal  (Simon Clarke)

This is an excellent proposal, and I endorse it.  

I would like to see, eventually, if Publically Knowable passes, its
scoring effects folded into R 207, and the "Modest" declaration folded
into a rewrite of  "what is a rule change/what is a proposal" that I am
kicking around (which of course would be "modest" proposals :).

This is one good step towards improving the scoring system.

Eventually, I'd like all of these types of things in R 207 (Harfy,
Modest, Palindromic, etc), and then have other rules specify under
what conditions something becomes modest, harfy, etc.  This may be
a really bad idea.  Any comments?  It may be ok if the R 207 reference
provided a link to the rule that defines the attribute.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 20:57:46 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: I'm not getting mail

I haven't received any mail in over 24 hours now. I can see my 
messages are getting through from /dev/joe's FTP archive (nice one, 
/dev/joe). This has happened before, in a couple of days I'll get 300 
messages at once, the main problem is that I cannot receive private 
Email, so I cannot communicate with mr cwm at the moment. So Supreme 
Court appeals are likely to be delayed

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 15:44:52 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Report 

The current High Bid for the Whamiol is A$5 - Bid by Niccolo Flychuck.

Who want's one of these little beauties.  This gadget can work wonders on
your score at a price that everyone can afford!  Come on, join the fun.
Bid on the Whamiol right now.

Do I hear A$10?

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 15:48:00 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Retract 1105 

I am retracting P1105

I will resubmit a fixed version shortly.

snowgod
running for president
not lucky enought to have a silly vacation hat of my own

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:27:31 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Last Minute Campaign Promises 

So your sitting there, in your cosy little Ackanomic home, bundled up.
Maybe your thinking of taking a trip to the Library, or the Free Market.
Maybe your thinking of casting a vote.  Maybe your just thinking about the
free ackanomic alchoholic beverages that will soon be available at all
public gatherings.

In any even, your just sitting there.

A though occurs to you.  "Wait a second!  I can't vote for snowgod.  He
seems like a good bloke, a little bit silly, but who knows what he'll be
like once he's elected?  Boy'll probably become a powermonger, a
megomaniac.  I won't be able to invent him over for dinner anymore.  No
siree, I bet the president won't even have time for his own friends."

Well, let me assure you that If I am elected president I WILL still have
time for me friends.  I'll come over to dinner any time you invite me, and
I won't bring a squad of security dudes with me either.  They don't do too
much good, and they'd just eat all you food.

I won't become a meglomaniac.  I won't let the power go to my head.  To the
contrary.  By promoting trickle-down-funonomics, I will be spending too
much time having fun (so that you will too) to be a powermonger.

No, citizens, there is nothing to worry about.  Well, almost nothing.  You
might have to worry about a nasty hangover after a festival.

snowgod
running for president
wishing for a silly Vacation Hat of my own

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 20:29:44 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 261 (Habeous Corpus)

snowgod declined, citing conflict of interest.

Habeous Corpus has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days
to respond.

Clerk of the Courts
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call For Judgement 261
  Subject: Scientific Inquiry
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: Brinjal (failed to respond)
2nd Judge: snowgod (decliend to judge)
3rd Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Aug 10, 1996, 20:30h New York Time)

Statement:

If a Blueprint is judged to create a Gadget who's behaviour could
*potentially* break the Rules (or it could *possibly* be used to break
the rules), the Blueprint is destroyed in accordance with R 594.

Malenkai's Reasoning:

R 594 is not clear. I think it should be. In particular, the rendering
of "conflict" in R 594 (ii) should be clarified.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 19:56:00 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka:Residence

Would the Map Harfer, and anyone else that would need to make a 
change somewhere, please note that I am changing the name of my 
residence to . . .

"Temple of the Damned"

Thanks,

Techno
Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 17:02:00 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction Report 

Techno now has the high bid on the Whamiol: A$25

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 20:11:17 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1109

Malenkai wrote: 
> Eventually, I'd like all of these types of things in R 207 (Harfy,
> Modest, Palindromic, etc), and then have other rules specify under
> what conditions something becomes modest, harfy, etc.  This may be
> a really bad idea.  Any comments?  It may be ok if the R 207 reference
> provided a link to the rule that defines the attribute.

Sounds good to me. Perhaps 207 could be worded something like:
"If a proposal is defined by the rules as (Modest/Harfy/etc) then...
(scoring effects)."

I had thought of making Modesty an amendment to 207 but it got a 
little complicated and I decided to just get the proposal out there
in the simplest form available.

Brinjal

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 18:04:26 -0800
From: Phil Ackley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: 50 Minutes and Counting 

Ackanomians,

[As of the sending of this message] There are only 50 minutes left until
the election for president is over.  If you have not yet cast a vote for
president, I urge you to do so.  If you have cast a vote (and it was for
the other candidate) it's not too late to change it. :) Either  way, we
shall soon know who the next president of Ackanomia is.

snowgod
running for president
sillier than the other guy

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:30:09 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Presidental Election

Vice Presidential Election:

for Bill the Cat (1 vote):

	ThinMan

Bill the Cat is thus elected Vice President

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Presidential Election
Synopsis:

snowgod (7 votes)
Niccolo Flychuck (4 votes)
/dev/joe (2 votes)

- --------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Votes for President were accepted until Sat 10-Aug, 21:50 hrs.

The election for President is over. The votes were:

for snowgod (7 votes):

	this is not a name
	snowgod
	Malenkai
	Bascule
	mr cwm
	Brinjal
	Wayne

for Niccolo Flychuck (4 votes)

	Niccolo Flychuck
	Robin Hood
	Habeous Corpus
	/dev/joe

for /dev/joe (2 votes)

	Techno
	ThinMan

snowgod is thus elected President.  I'd personally like to commend
/dev/joe, who does an excellent job, and point out that snowgod has
a tough act to follow.

Elections are governed by R 611:
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/rule600.html#R611

Assistant Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 00:43:25 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

I am appointing Brinjal to fill ThinMan's senate seat on an acting
basis, until ThinMan returns.  I realise this is not long from now,
but "Fixing the Senate Loophole" is scheduled to pass soon (hopefully),
and I do not wish to be out of compliance.

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #170
*******************************