Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #167
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Friday, August 9 1996        Volume 01 : Number 167

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:39:12 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1060 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1060
  Proposal 1060 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:49 EDT 1996
  Swingers Wish They Could Play Around III
  ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

14 YES votes   0 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

ThinMan gains 9 points.  47 -> 56

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 174               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Brinjal                                     =  17               
  ThinMan                                     =  56               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   5               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  62               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  /dev/joe                                    = 158               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  51               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -22               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

0 PRESENT votes:

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1060 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:49 EDT 1996
Swingers Wish They Could Play Around III
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Rule 992 shall be amended in the following ways:

In Section 1, Part A, the space character shall be removed from
"Chess- Umpire." 

In Section 1, Part B, "Weight=1" shall be replaced with "Weight=0."

[There is a problem with the weight calculation that involves the fact
that a King's material value is undefined.  I will fix that by defining the
King's weight to be zero, but then I don't want a Swinger to lose Weight
simply by placing his King on the Board.  The rule already handles zero
weights, so this will not produce a problem.]

In Section 1, Part C, each instance of "minimum Weight" shall be replaced
with "minimum Absolute Weight."

[This will greatly clarify things.  Upon first reading the rule, I thought
that "minimum Weight" was a quantity whose value would be defined in the
rule.]

Section 3 shall be deleted.

[Section 3 is empty, having contained only double-curly-braced text.  The
numeral was not enclosed in the braces, however, so it is now hanging out
there, all lonely at the bottom of the rule.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:38:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1059 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1059
  Proposal 1059 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:29 EDT 1996
  Swingers Wish They Could Play Around II
  ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

12 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

ThinMan gains 9 points.  38 -> 47

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 174               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Brinjal                                     =  17               
  ThinMan                                     =  47               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  62               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  51               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -22               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Niccolo Flychuck                              3 -> 5            
  /dev/joe                                    156 -> 158          

0 PRESENT votes:

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1059 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:29 EDT 1996
Swingers Wish They Could Play Around II
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Rule 991 shall be amended in the following ways:

In Section 1, Part A, "Chess Umpire" shall be changed to "Chess-Umpire."

Section 1, Part D, Clause iii, shall be replaced by:
(iii) To notify each Swinger by private e-mail whenever it becomes his turn
to move.

Section 1, Part D, Clause iv, shall be replaced with:
(iv) To alert a Swinger by public e-mail whenever he is placed in check.

In Section 2, Part B, the words "defined be" shall be replaced with "defined
by."

Section 2, Part F, shall be replaced by:
F. A Player or Observer becomes a Spectator when he informs the Chess-Umpire
of his desire to do so.  A Spectator ceases to be a Spectator when he informs
the Chess-Umpire of his desire to do so.  Whenever this rule calls for a
public announcement or public e-mail, such announcement or e-mail is to be
sent to all Swingers and Spectators, to the Chess-Umpire, and to no-one else.
However, the person who sends a public e-mail or announcement may exclude
himself from the recipients.

In Section 2, Part H, the second sentence shall be replaced by:
Once a play has been publicly announced, it becomes the turn of the next
Swinger in the playing-order, unless there are no more Swingers in the
playing-order, in which case it becomes the turn of the first Swinger
in the playing-order.

Section 2, Part I shall be deleted.
Section 2, Part J shall be relabelled Part I.
Section 2, Part K shall be relabelled Part J.

[It could be argued, perhaps successfully, that under the current section I,
after each Swinger had played once then the first Swinger would get all
the rest of the turns.  I am not positive that my rewrite fixes things,
but I would welcome comments.]

Section 3, Part A, shall be replaced with the following:
A.
 i.   A piece (1) is an opposing piece or opponent's piece with respect to
      piece (2) if it is controlled by a different Swinger than (2) is,
      regardless of any agreements, contracts, or treaties made between the
      various Swingers.
 ii.  A piece (1) is friendly with respect to piece (2) if pieces (1) and (2)
      are controlled by the same Swinger.
 iii. A piece (1) is attacking opposing piece (2) iff they are located on the
      board such that if it were (1)'s Swinger's turn to move, he could
      capture piece (2) with piece (1).
 iv.  A piece (1) is defending friendly piece (2) iff they are located on the
      board such that (1) would be attacking (2) if (2) were an opposing
      piece.

[ The clears up some sloppiness between piece labels and Swinger labels,
  and I think makes the language somewhat more straightforward. ]

The symbol '%lt;' in Section 3B shall be changed to '<'.

All commas shall be removed from Section 3, Part B, Clause (i).

The first three sentences of Section 3, Part B, Clause (ii) (following the
hyphen) shall be replaced by:
The Swinger uses one of his pieces to perform a capture according to the
applicable rules.

A colon shall be appended to the word "follows" in Section 3, PartB, Clause
(ii).

The following sentence shall be appended to Section 3, Part B, Clause (ii):
If a PartyChessPieceDef rule defines special conditions under which the
defined piece may perform a capture, then it may also specify a different
form of capture announcement for use with that piece; this rule defers to
any such alternative capture announcement definition.

The words "of-board" in Section 3, Part B, Clause (iii) shall be replaced
by "off-board."

All commas except the last in Section 3, Part B, Clause (iv) shall be removed.

The second comma of the first sentence of Section 3, Part C, Clause (i) shall
be deleted.

Section 3, Part C, Clauses (ii) through (iv) shall be replaced by the
following:
(ii) No Swinger may be in Check at the end of his move.  It is possible that
the only move that will satisfy this condition is a surrendur.

[ I think that the intent of the original part (ii) is already handled by
 the language governing placement.  The result of this amendment is not
 identical to the original wording, however. ]

Section 3, Part D, Clause (i) shall be amended to read, in whole:
(i) A Swinger is in Check when his King is attacked by one or more opposing
    pieces.

Section 3, Part D, Clause (iii) shall be entirely replaced by:
When a single Swinger is in check and it is not that Swinger's turn to
play, the following procedure takes place: the Swinger whose turn it is
to play is placed on-hold, and it becomes the turn of the Swinger in check.
This turn is called a "Special D-Turn."  After the Swinger in check
completes the Special D-Turn, the turn reverts to the Swinger on hold, and
that Swinger is no longer on-hold.

The first comma in Section 3, Part D, Clause (iv), Subclause (a) shall be
deleted.

In Section 3, Part D, Clause (iv) Subclause (c), the words "results of"
shall be deleted.  The following text shall be inserted between "accordingly"
and the following period: "; if a Swinger is on-hold then the turn reverts
to that Swinger, and he is no longer on hold, otherwise the turn passes to
the next player in the play-order."

The word "decided" in Section 3, Part D, Clause (iv), Subclause (e)
shall be replaced with "decides."

The symbols "/b/-/d/" in Section 3, Part D, Clause (iv), Subclause (f)
shall be replaced with "(b)-(d)."

Section 3, Part D, Clause (iv), Subclause (g) shall be replaced with the
following:
(g) The Special DD-Turn plays conflict if any one or more of the following
are true:
/i/ Two or more of the plays call for pieces to move to or capture pieces
on the same square.
/ii/ One or more of the plays calls for a movement of or capture using a
piece that is the target of a capture in one of the other plays.
/iii/ The result of the plays would be that at least one of the checked
Swingers would still be in check.

[ This adds an important conflict condition, and fixes the situation that
 the old /ii/ would have allowed the game to enter an infinite series of
 Special DD-Turns.  The game can still cycle under the revisions, but it
 must pass through at least one normal turn in the cycle. ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:39:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1061 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1061
  Proposal 1061 - Tue Jul 30 14:06:22 EDT 1996
  Swingers Wish They Could Play Around IV
  ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

13 YES votes   0 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

ThinMan gains 9 points.  56 -> 65

13 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 174               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Brinjal                                     =  17               
  ThinMan                                     =  65               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  62               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  /dev/joe                                    = 158               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  51               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -22               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

1 PRESENT votes:
  Niccolo Flychuck                             =   5

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1061 - Tue Jul 30 14:06:22 EDT 1996
Swingers Wish They Could Play Around IV
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Rule 994 shall be amended in the following ways:

In Section C, the characters "7.b" shall be replaced with "B."

In section D, "undefined" shall be replaced with "zero."

[This takes care of potential problems.  There is no need for the material
 value to be undefined, anyway.]

Section g shall be relabelled as section G.

The following section shall be appended:
H. This is a PartyChessPieceDef rule.

[Just to be sure that everything works.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:40:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1062 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1062
  Proposal 1062 - Tue Jul 30 15:17:40 EDT 1996
  I Cannot Eat for a Week
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 8 players cast votes

9 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  174 -> 183

9 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 183               
  Brinjal                                     =  17               
  ThinMan                                     =  65               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  /dev/joe                                    = 158               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  51               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            62 -> 64           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -22 -> -20          

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Niccolo Flychuck                            

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1062 - Tue Jul 30 15:17:40 EDT 1996
I Cannot Eat for a Week
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 592, "Protection", to append the following at the end of the
current text:

"Extra-Nomic entities and actions, and External Concepts, including but
not limited to: linguistic and customary interpretation, game custom,
spirit of  the game, and food and drink, are explicitly not Protected"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:40:28 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1063 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1063
  Proposal 1063 - Wed Jul 31 11:41:33 EDT 1996
  No Weekend Passes
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 8 players cast votes

4 YES votes   8 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 9 points.  14 -> 5

4 YES votes:  1 point each
  Brinjal                                      17 -> 18           
  Bascule                FUN                   47 -> 48           
  /dev/joe                                    158 -> 159          
  Techno                 Underworld            51 -> 52           

8 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 183               
  ThinMan                                     =  65               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   5               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -20               

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Niccolo Flychuck                            

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:40:42 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1064 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1064
  Proposal 1064 - Thu Aug 01 02:23:57 EDT 1996
  457 On Ice Fix
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

12 YES votes   1 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  183 -> 192

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 192               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  ThinMan                                     =  65               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   5               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  48               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =   5               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  64               
  /dev/joe                                    = 159               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  52               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -20               

1 NO votes:  2 points each
  Habeous Corpus                               16 -> 18           

0 PRESENT votes:

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Brinjal                                     
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1064 - Thu Aug 01 02:23:57 EDT 1996
457 On Ice Fix
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 457 to add the following after the second paragraph:

 {{     Any player who is on vacation who does not have an
expected duration recorded will have recorded for them an expected
duration of 30 days from the time the proposal which created this
rule change was adopted. This  paragraph has precedence over the
previous one.}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:42:21 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1102

Proposal 1102 - Fri Aug 09 17:42:21 EDT 1996
fixing 1014
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

If R729 exists then append the following text to the end of R1014
"This rule takes precedence over any rule which contains either of the words
'witch', 'round', or 'flat'. "

If R729 does not exist then repeal R1014

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:42:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1103

Proposal 1103 - Fri Aug 09 17:42:35 EDT 1996
Amend R720
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to ammend R720
The following text shall replace R720 Institutions in its entirety:
"   1.There exists a class of entities  called Institutions.
     Singular- Institution.
     Institutions may only be established according to the rules.
     Institutions may be abolished according to the rules.
     The rights, privileges, duties and roles of Institutions will be
     defined by the rules.
     If there is no rule that defines the authority, rights,
     privileges, duties, or roles, for a given Institution, then that
     institution has no authority, rights, privileges, duties, or
     roles, respectively. 
   
   An Institution is defined as a Political Office with more than one seat.
 
    2. This section defers to rules governing decision making in Institutions. 
An Institution supports an action when a simple majority of its members
support the  action. An Institution opposes an action when a simple majority
of its members opposes an action. If the members of an Institution are tied
in respect to a specific action, and there is no provision for breaking ties
in that Institution, then that instiution neither supports, nor opposes that
action."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:48:38 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1104

Proposal 1104 - Fri Aug 09 17:48:37 EDT 1996
Repeal the Gnome
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Rule 355 shall be repealed.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 17:19:03 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Prop 1054 Passes

> Here are the voting results for : 1054
>   Proposal 1054 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:44 EDT 1996
>   Common Sense for the CSRR
>   Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> Proposal PASSES
> 
> Malenkai gains 9 points.  147 -> 156

Malenkai loses the Trombone, and also becomes eligible for another
silver stripe (although I can't give it to him any more, and if Blue
Cross Automation passes then we get to redo all the crosses & stuff
tomorrow).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 18:56:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Financial

This is an attempted accurate figuring of our account balances as of
the time of the post, including Tammany for results released today.
I believe it is accurate, assuming the baseline I used is accurate.
I have shown in detail how the results were derived, so they can be
verified or corrected (I wish ThinMan would do this from time to time :)).

The final results are at the bottom, please notify me of any errors or
ommissions.

As for appointing Bascule as acting Financier last night, that was
entended to be a joke.  I guess I should have made it more obvious,
and shall need my (in good fun) disclaimer again.  It really did take
4 hours to do this last night (with 5 minutes notice), so Bascule did
an admirable job.

As for the name change, I really don't mind.  That should have been
obvious as well, but oh well.  I can change it back at any time.
My real problem is that I think the Blue Thing is illegal; I do not
think we should allow anyone the ability to build a gadget that has 
the potential to break the rules.

I am lake N
Acting Financier
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
This was calculated by figuring the delta between the correct score on
22 and 8, then taking the delta ThinMan arrived at, and then taking
the delta of the deltas, which is "fix", the value needed to be added
to everyone's balance on the 22nd to correct.  Next we take the delta
from 22 to 5, to figure the yield for this cycle, yielding 22->5
figure.  Next we add the two to get what we must add to the balances.
(And yes, in each delta, I accounted for the fact that debt was 1/2
the real delta).

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Acka Name   22 (ThinMan)  22 (actual)  fix   5 (act)  22->5 yld [fix+yld]
      /dev        140           147        7      164       17        24
    Bascule        29            24       -5       47       23        18
    Brinjal         9             4       -5       15        9         4
     Calvin       -19           -23       -2      -33       -5        -7
     chess          0             0        0      -10       -5        -5
    De'ghew        11            10        1       11        1         2
      fon           0             0        0        0        0         0
    Habeous        23             12     -11       14        2        -9
     Kelly         32             37       5       41        4         9
    Malenka        35             71      36      146       75       111
     Mellon        28             25      -3       15       -5        -8
       mr          18             17      -1       28       11        10
    Niccolo       -14             -9       2        0        9        11
     Pascal       -19            -24      -2      -24        0        -2
    pTang10        31             36       5       36        0         5
     Robert         0             -3      -1       -3        0        -1
     Robin         27             19      -8       21        2        -6
     Simon          0              0       0        0        0         0
    snowgod       -51            -34       9       22       56        65
     Techno        40             37      -3       49       12         9
      The           0             -4      -2       -4        0        -2
    ThinMan         2              4       1       28       24        25
      this         56             59       3       60        1         4
     Wayne        -42            -43      -1      -24       22        21 
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we assume that ThinMan's player balances were correct on 7/24,
when published.  This was a wednesday:

/dev/joe             962
Bascule              815
Brinjal              567
Calvin N Hobbes      459
chess piece face     463
De'ghew              633
fon                  530 
Habeous Corpus       923 
Kelly Martin         488
Malenkai             943
Mellon               928 
mr cwm               549 
Niccolo Flychuck     507
Pascal               503
pTang1001001sos      933 
Robert Sevin         514 
Robin Hood           782
Simon Marty Harriman 491
snowgod              427
Techno               759
The Great Old One    448
ThinMan              791 
this is not a name   783
Wayne                790 

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
leaving salaries due for 7/30 and 8/6.

Salaries:

(assumes Financier is a Functional office, assistant thereto is not)
(assumes Ambassador and Inventor and Appointer are not functional)

chess piece face:  3
/dev/joe:          6
Malenkai:         10
mr cwm:            3
S. M. Harriman:    3 (8/6 only)
ThinMan:           3
tinan:             4
Wayne:             4

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log of all credits and debits since ThinMan's last account post:

7/25 /dev/joe     -20   CFCJ 107
7/25 /dev/joe     -20   CFCJ 108
7/29 snowgod      -25   Tammany P 1015
7/29 snowgod      -25   Tammany P 1016
7/29 tinan        -25   Tammany P 1018
7/29 Robert Sevin -20   CFCJ 109
7/30 Malenkai      -5   Tammany P 1033
8/02 snowgod      -25   Tammany P 1045
8/02 tinan        -25   Tammany P 1045
8/02 mr cwm       -25   Tammany P 1045
8/02 CnH          -24   CFCJ 108 Penalty
8/02 tinan        -10   Little Lamb (note that this does not go to the 
Treasury)
8/02 tinan        -10   Wool Sweater
8/02 snowgod      -20   CFCJ 110
8/02 snowgod      -20   CFCJ 111
8/06 snowgod       +8   electronic potato
8/08 Bascule     -275   Blue Thing
8/06 Malenkai     +28   Blue Thing Comission
8/09 Malenkai      -5   Tammany P 1056
8/09 mr cwm       -15   Tammany P 1056
8/09 tinan        -25   Tammany P 1053

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

We now have to calculate balances as of 8/4, as that is when Geezer
joined.  That is unfortunate, as the bond yields are as of 8/5, and
I have done correction + bond yield, which means I must add correction
now, then on the fifth, add the total and subtract out the correction.

This calc includes the correction, one batch of salaries, and the
log up until 8/4

/dev/joe             935
Bascule              810
Brinjal              562
Calvin N Hobbes      433
chess piece face     466
De'ghew              634
fon                  530 
Habeous Corpus       912 
Kelly Martin         493
Malenkai             984
Mellon               925 
mr cwm               526 
Niccolo Flychuck     509
Pascal               501
pTang1001001sos      938 
Robert Sevin         493 
Robin Hood           774
Simon Marty Harriman 491
snowgod              321
Techno               756
The Great Old One    446
ThinMan              795 
this is not a name   720
Wayne                795 

Sigma all non dead players = 13872
21 non dead players => 13872/21 = 660.57 => 661 for Geezer

Note that the dead players can be removed now.  The value above should be
close, (and I believe exact), to the amount that their undead are
haunting.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, add in the 8/5 bond yields, 8/6 salaries, and the last entries
on the log.  Balances as of 8/9 19:00:

/dev/joe             958
Bascule              558
Brinjal              553
Calvin N Hobbes      427
chess piece face     464
De'ghew              635
fon                  530
Geezer               661 
Habeous Corpus       914 
Malenkai            1092
Mellon               920 
mr cwm               525 
Niccolo Flychuck     518
Pascal               501
Robert Sevin         493 
Robin Hood           776
Simon Marty Harriman 494
snowgod              385
Techno               768
ThinMan              822 
this is not a name   700
Wayne                821 

Total:    14515.00
Average:    659.77
Treasury: 60475.00
Orkatass Lawn Care Company and Motor Inn: 10.00

All players have 100 PFblah in their name

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 19:20:01 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1100

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1100 - Fri Aug 09 14:49:56 EDT 1996
> A New Era Of Harfyness
> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
> 
> 1)  Create a new rule entitled "Let there be harf!" with the following text:
> 
> There exists the functional office of Harfmeister.
> 
> The purpose of the office of Harfmeister is to determine which, if any,
> proposals in the voting queue shall be considered Harfy.

Given what this office is to do, I do not think it should be a functional
office; it doesn't appear to fit in that way with our current scheme.

Functional offices are typified by offices that require alot of work to
be done to keep the game running, (ask any of us), and rarely allow any
discretionary power, hence the salary.  Normal offices have discretionary
power, thus do not merit a salary.  The Gaoler being a functional office
was an error on my part, and when looking into it, I realised this
customary taxonomy.

> it's author shall recieve double the amount of points to which he would
> normally be entitled for that proposal.

It seems like this rule establishes a way to score points for the proposal
"normally", just as cows eat grass or the palindrome thing.  The above
could be problematic (infinite doubling).

Maybe not, depending how you read it, but I think the reward should be
A$, not points anyway. 

Otherwise I like it and shall vote for it if the 2 changes above are made.

I am lake N

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 00:22:34 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vote snowgod

I've had a couple of glasses of wine and am not thinking brilliantly 
well. So, no fancy arguments - vote snowgod cos it'll be a laugh if 
snowgod is President. snowgod invented The Big Blue Thing That 
Doesn't Do Very Much, Really.

Bascule

for laughs, vote snowgod 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 19:47:57 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Invoking R 570

In accordance with R 570 I am changing my ackanomic name from 
I am lake N to Malenkai.  My real name is Randy Hall.

The short explanation, shall read, in full:

Names are a personal thing, and the new one was harder to type.
My attempting to play it out in the spirit backfired anyway.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 20:10:33 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1102

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1102 - Fri Aug 09 17:42:21 EDT 1996
> fixing 1014
> Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
> 
> If R729 exists then append the following text to the end of R1014
> "This rule takes precedence over any rule which contains either of the words
> 'witch', 'round', or 'flat'. "
> 
> If R729 does not exist then repeal R1014

As much as I'd love to have these types of conditional rule changes,
it seems almost certain that this will produce an invalid rule change
if adopted (qv CFJ 259).  I have had to sit on proposals such as this,
that is why I called CFJ 259.  If there is any disagreement, we should
iron it out.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 20:14:37 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction

I believe snowgod, et al, is correct in interpreting R 1023 that today
is an even day, the 6th day of the week.  I had intended the word "date",
not "day", but it was missed.  

My Webster's indicates sunday is the first day of the week; that's how
much I know.

In any case, the Inventor is the auctioneer for Whamoil.  I shall still
maintain the info on my web page, assuming Chief Cheese gives it to
me.

Malenkai
Culturally unaware

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:42:52 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Auction 

By R 1023, the Inventor appears to be the Auctioneer for the Whamiol.
The Blueprint is available from the Inventor (That's me) or the web page.

The auction begins now and will end in three days.

Please place the word BID or auction in the subject line of your message.

The auction will be public, which means that I will announce the current
High Bid from time to time.  I will also forward it to Malenkai so that he
may place it on the current events web page (which is linked from
/dev/joe's page).

Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:47:07 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1100

At 7:20 PM 8/9/96, Malenkai wrote:
>[email-masked] wrote:
>>
>> Proposal 1100 - Fri Aug 09 14:49:56 EDT 1996
>> A New Era Of Harfyness
>> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
>>
>> 1)  Create a new rule entitled "Let there be harf!" with the following text:
>>
>> There exists the functional office of Harfmeister.
>>
>> The purpose of the office of Harfmeister is to determine which, if any,
>> proposals in the voting queue shall be considered Harfy.
>
>Given what this office is to do, I do not think it should be a functional
>office; it doesn't appear to fit in that way with our current scheme.
>
>Functional offices are typified by offices that require alot of work to
>be done to keep the game running, (ask any of us), and rarely allow any
>discretionary power, hence the salary.  Normal offices have discretionary
>power, thus do not merit a salary.  The Gaoler being a functional office
>was an error on my part, and when looking into it, I realised this
>customary taxonomy.

Okay.  That's fair.  Should the Harfmeister be a plitical office?  Or just
not a stated type?  I imagine it should be filled by election then.  I will
make that change.

>> it's author shall recieve double the amount of points to which he would
>> normally be entitled for that proposal.
>
>It seems like this rule establishes a way to score points for the proposal
>"normally", just as cows eat grass or the palindrome thing.  The above
>could be problematic (infinite doubling).

Okay, how about "it's author shall recieve double the amount of points to
which he would be entitled to for that proposals passage, were it not
harfy"

or

"It's author shall recieve a harfy bonus of A$25 from the treasury"

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:52:45 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Retract P1100 

I am retracting P1100 and acknowledge the penalty.

I will resubmit a version with the fixes suggested by Malenkai shortly.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #167
*******************************