Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #166
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Friday, August 9 1996        Volume 01 : Number 166

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 05:11:16 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Niccolo Flychuck for President (was Exclusive)

At 8:43 AM 8/9/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Phil Ackley wrote:
>>
>> >It is round.  What do you guys think?
>> >
>> >Malenkai
>>
>> Shouldn't this be signed I am lake N?
>
>I believe R 115 regulates e-mail signatures.  Can we find something better
>to do than nit-pick to this degree, or try to impress non
>culturally-neutral custom on the game?

Whoa! Hold on!

I wasn't trying to nit-pick.  I was just still being amused by your new
name,  I shoulda put an emoticon of some sort on there I suppose, but it
didn't occur to me.  Sorry.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 09:35:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Auction?

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, snowgod wrote:

> 
> Until a fix is submitted (would the CSRR be interested in this one?) I am
> willing to work under the assumption that an even "day of the week" is the
> same as and even "date" and allow the assistant tabulator to begin the
> auction.
> 
> If the CSRR would be interested in fixing this rule I would appreciate it.
> It seems a shame to give someone 9 points for making it a proposal.
> 

While this might fall into the category of "doesn't make sense," and,
thus, appropriately be the subject of a CSR, I remain aware of my campaign
promise not to issue CSR's that would affect the actual play of the game.
The resolution of any ongoing controversy by CSR would affect the play of
the game (or there would be no controversy.)  I agree that 9 points seems
a bit excessive for this fix, and suggest a CFJ as quicker, anyway.  Once
the meaning is resolved, I would be more than willing to submit a CSR to
make this rule conform to whatever game custom the CFJ establishes.

- -mr cwm
 CSRR Officer

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:38:26 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Auction?

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > Parity of date would be much less ambigous, but "day of the week" does not
> > mean date. Currently the rule isambigous.
> 
> I agree the rule is ambigious.  What do you intend to do about it?  I have
> offerred a solution.  Have you?
>
The best solution would to ammend the rule. Until such time as the such an
ammendment is proposed and accepted, and now that I am aware of the
problem I may do so myself, I accept your temporary solution.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:44:55 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: acka:proposals/retractions (Re: Acka Campaign Promises Take III)

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
> >
> >Why are you unable too?  The fact of the matter is that it is holding
> >my Locations proposal up, which is holding mr cwm's Patent Infirngement
> >proposal up.
> >
> >In a bad mood, sorry.
> 
> As far as I knowthe fix for retractions hasn't passed yet.  If it has, I'd
> be moe than happy to retract it.  Just say the word.
> 
> snowgod

There are quite a few rules we don't know the proper results of which,
because they were not distributed. One of them, I believe pertains
directly tothe question I am lake N (my aplogies if I misspelled the name)
asked in a recent post.
I will reply to that in a seperate post
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:54:08 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Niccolo Flychuck studies controversy (shape of the earth)

The shape of the earth has caused many heated arguments in Ackanomia for a
long time. The casual orator might be inclined to justify eir view of that
shape with some argument or other. However, there are many more things in
heaven and on earth than there are in  one's philosophy.
It is for this reason that I have decided to study the matter on my own.
I went out to the back-yard and observed a patch of what we might call
earth. It is a dark colored substance, and in the context of a back-yard,
does indeed appear to be flat. I have decided to scrutinized the matter
further, on the micro as well as on the macro level. I dug a bit and
lifted some earth in my hands. Once I picked it up I noticed a remarekable
phenomenon, pieces of earth crumbled in my hands, and I was left holding a
blob which could hardly be described as having any shape at all. Certainly
not a round one. I have seen many people dig up earth before in my
back-yard as well, and yet, when looked upon from a height of 6 ft or
more, it always tends to look flat.
Fascinating.
I concluded that while the earth particles cannot be said to have any
distinctive shape at all, once put together they tend to form flat
surfaces. It is the only logical conclusion.

Do not listen to the endles rhetorics of nay sayers on the one hand, and
yay sayers on the other, go and find out for yourself, that is what
presedential candidate Niccolo Flychuck does.

Vote for
Niccolo Flychuck - 
The Logical Choice.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 19:28:28 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Finances

> I started taking a look at the books, and what disarray they were in.
> A job too difficult for me.  I spent 4 hours sifting through megs of 
> email, Tammany records, etc, and was at wits end.  The deadline mandated
> by "Speed" was soon approaching, I was lost, certainly heading for
> Gaol myself.
> 
> I was so overwhelmed, in order to "facilitate the conduct of Ackanomic
> business" in getting the books done, I appointed I am lake N to the
> post of Assistant to the Financier to help me.
> 
> I still needed, however, someone with immortal wisdom, someone who had
> other worldly knowledge of things financial, something I certainly do not.
> 
> Who but that sage himself, Justice Bascule!  He could probably get it
> done before the deadline tomorrow, especially with the threat of Gaol
> hanging over his head for violating "Speed"!
> 
> In accordance with R 457, I hereby appoint Bascule to the position of
> acting Financier.  I expect he will do an excellent job, and publish the
> account balances, bond yields, corrections for 7/22, and all bribes,
> etc, promptly.  He is a law abiding chap; check out his by line: "Hard
> Line Justice".
> 
> Wait, said the Golden Frog, I have figured it all out!! snowgod has 
> A$385, ... and on and on it went.  But unfortunately I had just resigned,
> and did not have the authority to publish what was said, only Bascule
> has that now.
> 
> The Golden Frog, of course, will speak to no one but me, and fortunately,
> I am an assistant, I could always relay what the Frog says to me to
> Bascule, for a small fee, given that he faces Gaol and all if he doesn't
> publish the balances soon.
> 
> I'm not greedy, perhaps Bascule could transfer me the Blue Thing in 
> exchange for the information, or perhaps a small fee of A$100 to avoid
> going to Gaol.  He's the Acting Financier, he can arrange the trade.
> 
> I am lake N
> ex-Acting Financier
> Assistant to the Financier
> All around great guy

Thanks, I am lake N

I've always wanted to update the financial records with 5 minutes 
notice.

Well, here we go. I don't know if the Golden Frog has more accurate
information than this, but I am lake N is going to have to try harder
than this if he wants The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too
Much, Really.

Finances on 5 Aug
- -----------------

NAME                 BALANCE (dividend payments already added in)

/dev/joe             A$957  100 PF/dev  dividend A$17
Bascule              A$838  100 PFBascule  dividend A$23
Brinjal              A$578  100 PFBrinjal  dividend A$11
Calvin n Hobbes      A$425  100 PFCalvin  dividend A$-10
chess piece face     A$453  100 PFchess  dividend A$-10
De'ghew              A$634  100 PFDe'ghew  dividend A$1
fon                  A$530  100 PFfon  dividend A$0
Geezer               A$686  100 PFGeezer  dividend A$0
Habeous Corpus       A$925  100 PFHabeous  dividend A$2
I am lake N          A$1011 100 PFIdontseemtolikemynewnamemuch  dividend A$75
Kelly Martin         A$592  100 PFKelly  dividend A$4
Mellon               A$918  100 PFMellon  dividend A$-10
mr cwm               A$535  100 PFmr  dividend A$11
Niccolo Flychuck     A$516  100 PFNiccolo  dividend A$9
Pascal               A$503  100 PFPascal  dividend A$0
pTang1001001sos      A$933  100 PFpTang10  dividend A$0
Robert Sevin         A$494  100 PFRobert  dividend A$0
Robin Hood           A$782  100 PFRobin  dividend A$2
Simon Marty Harriman A$491  100 PFSimon  dividend A$0
snowgod              A$356  100 PFsnowgod  dividend A$56
Techno               A$771  100 PFTechno  dividend A$12
The Great Old One    A$448  100 PFThe  dividend A$0
ThinMan              A$813  100 PFThinMan  dividend A$24
this is not a name   A$740  100 PFthis  dividend A$1
Wayne                A$809  100 PFWayne  dividend A$9

I resign as acting Financier, if I can

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 14:49:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1100

Proposal 1100 - Fri Aug 09 14:49:56 EDT 1996
A New Era Of Harfyness
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

1)  Create a new rule entitled "Let there be harf!" with the following text:

There exists the functional office of Harfmeister.

The purpose of the office of Harfmeister is to determine which, if any,
proposals in the voting queue shall be considered Harfy.

The following are the duties of the Harfmeister:

A)  To issue a report stating what criteria he uses to consider a
proposal's harfyness.
B)  To examine each proposal that is submitted to determine if it is or is
not harfy.
C)  To maintain a list of all harfy proposals that have been submitted.

The following are the privlidges of the Harfmeister:

A) To issue a report when a harfy proposal is discovered in the queue.
B)  To recieve the normal salary for a functional officer

The Harfmeister may use his discrition in determining what is to be
considered harfy for the purposes of this rule.  Any time a new player is
appointed to the office of Harfmeister, he may either use the previous
Harfmeister's criteria, or issue a report containing his own criteria.

- ------------------------------

2) Create a new rule entitled "And the harf shall inherit the Earth!" with
the following text:

If a proposal in the voting queue

a)  has been determined to be harfy by the proper officer
b)  passes in accordance with the rules

it's author shall recieve double the amount of points to which he would
normally be entitled for that proposal.

This rule takes precedence over any mutable rule dealing with scoring
effects related to proposals.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 14:49:40 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1099

Proposal 1099 - Fri Aug 09 14:49:40 EDT 1996
Hall of Elders
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

1) Let the Hall of Elders exist.  It is a common location, and is housed
in a classy marble building, at least 3 blocks from the Gaol.

2) Whenever a player leaves the game, their likeness (hereafter, where
appropriate, referred to as if it were the actual player) is eligible to
be enshrined in the Hall of Elders.  They shall be a candidate for such
an honor if someone nominates them (via a public message) for such within
3 days of them leaving the game.  If multiple players nominate the same
departing player, they are only considered nominated once.

3) If a departing player has been nominated, their confirmation period
starts 3 days after they have left the game.  During the confirmation
period, players may send messages to the public forum supporting the
nominee (maximum one such message per player).  The nominee shall receive
one confirmation point for each such message posted in accordance with the
rules.  They shall also receive one point for each cycle (or game) they
won while a player, up to a maximum of 5 points from this source. 

4) At the end of the nomination period, the nominee is confirmed if and 
only if the number of confirmation points they received is in excess of 
the number of active players divided by 2.  After it is decided whether or
not the player has been confirmed, all of their confirmation points are
destroyed.

5) If the departing player returns to the game either during the nomination
period, or the confirmation period, they are no longer considered a
nominee.  This section takes precedence over all the preceeding ones.

6) Once confirmed, the great honor of being enshrined in the Hall of Elders
is bestowed upon the nominee. It is a duty of the Web-Harfer to place
relavant information about the (including their portrait, if such
exists), on a web page which represents the Hall.  Such information should
include a replica of any items being haunted by the enshrinee's undead
(except land and the like). It is a duty of the Historian to provide a
brief biography of the enshrinee, and a list of any offices they may have
held while a player.  This is considered "relavent information", as per
above. 

7) Whenever an enshrinee is enshrined in the Hall (either by this rule or 
another), An Ackanomic Holiday shall be placed on the calendar, named after
the enshrinee (e.g. Elder X's Day). The date (excluding year) shall be
chosen as follows: 
	1) It shall not be Jan 22nd.
	2) It shall be the date the player in question originally joined
the game, if that date can be determined with finality, and that date is
not already an Ackanomic Holiday, otherwise,
	3) It shall be the date the player in question most recently left
the game, if that date is not already an Ackanomic Holiday, otherwise,
	4) The Speaker shall choose a date that is not already an Ackanomic
Holiday.

8) If the player in question returns to the game at least one month
after being enshrined, they may use the title Elder, and shall have the
powers and benefits explicitly specified by other rules for Elders.

9) The rules may explicitly deliniate other procedures for an active 
player to be enshrined in the Hall, and this rule defers to such where
there is a conflict.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 14:50:04 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1101

Proposal 1101 - Fri Aug 09 14:50:04 EDT 1996
I Returned a Bag of Groceries Accidentally Taken Off the Shelf Before the Expiration Date
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend Rule 570 by changing "new player" to "new or returning player" each
time it appears in the paragraph which begins with "A new player".

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:21:51 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Retracting P1076

I retract P1076, and suffer the penalty for doing so.

There was significant opposition to this proposal, and it looks like it
won't be terribly useful anyway.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:30:33 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic Digest V1 #164 

Wow. I go on vacation for a few weeks and somebody gets eleusis in here...
what's next, Mao? :D

Go ahead, someone ask me how to play...

- ---Pascal

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:41:58 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Eleusis, Mao, etc.

> Wow. I go on vacation for a few weeks and somebody gets eleusis in here...

Actually, this was first brought up around the end of May or beginning
of June.  June 9 the first version of "pack of playing cards" (intended
to be a weird, oversized deck for Eleusis games) was submitted.  It just
barely failed.  The Wizard(see proposals 1001) was also supposed to be
part of Eleusis, and Otzma cards (props 995-1000) were an accessory
to encourage people to play the game.

> what's next, Mao? :D

Asking a question!  Draw a card.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 23:13:02 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis, Mao, etc.

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > Wow. I go on vacation for a few weeks and somebody gets eleusis in here...
> 
> Actually, this was first brought up around the end of May or beginning
> of June.  June 9 the first version of "pack of playing cards" (intended
> to be a weird, oversized deck for Eleusis games) was submitted.  It just
> barely failed.  The Wizard(see proposals 1001) was also supposed to be
> part of Eleusis, and Otzma cards (props 995-1000) were an accessory
> to encourage people to play the game.

Actually, the Otzma cards were supposed to be more than just an incentive
to play Eleusis, although this was certainly one intended function. Part 
of the idea behind Otzma cards was to have Magic style cards that would be
relevant to nomic, while in the process creating a sort of Otzma
mini-economy (if you read the relevant proposals you'll see what I mean).
Anyway, the current RFC of is meaningless without cards (playing cards,
not Otzma cards) to play with. 
This specific variant of Eleusis, together with a more traditional one,
may to have wait for another multi-functional proposal (the Wizard was
intended to be a multi-functional office).

 > 
> > what's next, Mao? :D
> 
> Asking a question!  Draw a card.
> 
> 
> 
Draw!? like, is this the wild west or something?
Well, the Party Chess rules, continously refer to 'using a piece' 

Niccolo Flychuck

Running for President

Vote for
Niccolo Flychuck - 
the Logical Choice.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 00:21:12 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Eleusis, Mao, etc.

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> > Wow. I go on vacation for a few weeks and somebody gets eleusis in here...
> 
> Actually, this was first brought up around the end of May or beginning
> of June.  June 9 the first version of "pack of playing cards" (intended
> to be a weird, oversized deck for Eleusis games) was submitted.  It just

Two versions of this were submitted, one a bit more recently, the
differneces were really minor. They were intorduced mostly to avoid
breaking the naming rules.
As /dev/joe pointed the pack was oversized, but I don't think there was
anything weird about it. In fact, in many ways it was similar to standard
packs. For every color, there were two suits who shared that color. There
were more face cards, the highest of which was named Suber in the second
version, and there were 8 suits. The names of the suits were simply things
that the symbols (various symbols that appear above the numbers) reminded
me of.
- - and if anyone is still wondering about
@-strudel (or did I spell it shtrudel)
the latter, is simply what we call them here. Look at a shtrudl from the
side, try not to spill anything on the keyboard. Got it? good.
Bon appetit

Niccolo Flychuck

Wearing a Silly Vacation Hat
Running for President

Vote for 
Niccolo Flychuck -
The Logical Choice.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:24:51 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1053 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1053
  Proposal 1053 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:40 EDT 1996
  Gate Money
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

7 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 9 points.  22 -> 13

7 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                  146 -> 147          
  Robin Hood                                   21 -> 22           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            13 -> 14           
  Habeous Corpus                               13 -> 14           
  Techno                 Underworld            49 -> 50           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            28 -> 29           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -24 -> -23          

5 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                     =  15               
  ThinMan                                     =  28               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  60               
  /dev/joe                                    = 164               

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Niccolo Flychuck                            

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

=====================
Tammany was bribed in the amount of A$25 bt tinan.  tinan requested
that Tammany be silent on this proposal.

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:26:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1054 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1054
  Proposal 1054 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:44 EDT 1996
  Common Sense for the CSRR
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 8 players cast votes

12 YES votes   0 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  147 -> 156

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 156               
  Robin Hood                                  =  22               
  Brinjal                                     =  15               
  ThinMan                                     =  28               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  60               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  14               
  /dev/joe                                    = 164               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  50               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

0 PRESENT votes:

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Wayne                  Underworld           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1054 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:44 EDT 1996
Common Sense for the CSRR
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend Rule 695/2  "Office of Common Sense, Redundancy, and Redundancy"
to replace the text of section (d) with the following: 

      "(d) The CSRR shall distribute CSR's publicly, and assign each one
a unique number. After a CSR is distributed, any player may officially
object to it by publishing his or her objection publicly. If less than
2 players object to the CSR within a 3 day review period immediately
following its distribution, then the changes it suggests will be made at
the end of the review period. The CSRR shall publish a notice that the
changes have been made." 

{{[right now it seems like a CSR is a proposal that requires almost
unamimous support.  Also, I wanted to make it so that a single individual
could not just veto every CSRR.  Putting the period down to 3 days puts
it somewhere between spelling bee and a real proposal, where I believe
it should be. Perhaps people will use it more, rather than just go
for cheap proposal points.]}}

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:33:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1055 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1055
  Proposal 1055 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:48 EDT 1996
  Coming and Going
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 9 players cast votes

10 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  156 -> 165

10 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 165               
  Brinjal                                     =  15               
  ThinMan                                     =  28               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  /dev/joe                                    = 164               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  50               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -23               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            60 -> 62           
  Habeous Corpus                               14 -> 16           

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1055 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:48 EDT 1996
Coming and Going
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[962.2 largely removes the intent of 859 and renders it useless, except
in regards to 691. 962.2 does not claim precedence to have its intended
effect with regards to 691]}}

Repeal Rule 859, "Fixing Leaving the Game and Coming Back in a Different
		  Cycle"
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amend R 691, "No Deadbeat Judges", to remove all occurrances of the
following sentence:

"The ex-player may rejoin the game later, if he or she desires, with the
 same score he or she had when he or she left."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:37:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1056 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1056
  Proposal 1056 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:51 EDT 1996
  I Should Be Allowed to Think
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

6 YES votes   9 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

/dev/joe loses 9 points.  164 -> 155

6 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   22 -> 23           
  ThinMan                                      28 -> 29           
  Niccolo Flychuck                              0 -> 1            
  /dev/joe                                    155 -> 156          
  Techno                 Underworld            50 -> 51           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -23 -> -22          

9 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 165               
  Brinjal                                     =  15               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  62               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               

0 PRESENT votes:

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      
=================
Tammany was bribed to vote NO by the following players:
Malenkai - A$5
mr cwm   - A$15

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:38:19 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1057 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1057
  Proposal 1057 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:07 EDT 1996
  Name Game
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

12 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  165 -> 174

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 174               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  ThinMan                                     =  29               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  62               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  /dev/joe                                    = 156               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  51               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -22               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Brinjal                                      15 -> 17           
  Niccolo Flychuck                              1 -> 3            

0 PRESENT votes:

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1057 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:07 EDT 1996
Name Game
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 570, "Player Names", to read, in full:

           {{[this is my third hack at the name rules. I should have done
             all of this the first time, but... Basically, I consolidating
             R 570, R 571, and R 604 into one rule, and making 3 char
             names like fon's legal]}}

           Each player will have an Official Ackanomic Name. The Name must
           consist of at least three, and no more than twenty alphanumerical 
           characters. All nomic business must use the Name when referring to
           a specific player. 

           Players must choose a Name when they register. No player may
           choose a Name that is already in use (or otherwise would be
           in violation of R703). Players without a Name must choose a
           Name within one week.

           A new player may not choose the name of previous player, or the
           previous name of a current player, unless they are the player
           who held that name previously. e.g., no new player could take
           the name pTang1001001sos unless they were really the Mark Nau
           who held that name previously. It is a duty of the Registrar
           to make sure the player's chosen name complies with this Rule,
           and the Registrar has the final right to approve or deny the
           chosen name. This clause takes precedence over any mutable rule
           which would deny the Registrar these duties.

           A player may change his or her Ackanomic Name provided the
           new name complies with the above rules, and any other rule, as
           if the player were choosing the new name as a new player. The
           player must publically announce their old name, new name, and
           real name, with a short explanation. The Registrar shall record
           the change. 

           When a player changes their Ackanomic name, all Ackanomic
           business (for example CFJ's and Proposals) will be changed to
           follow their new name. 
       
           Alphanumerical characters are defined for this rule to 
           include alphanumeric characters and  
           (! @ # $ % ^ & * ' " , . ^ ! : ; / \ | - _ = + space).
           Excluded are the characters < > ( ) { } [ ].

           [This rules justifies the common practice that some players
            have name like Calvin N Hobbes, Robert Sevin and allow names
            like /dev/joe and De'ghew. Yes, the ' ' or space is not an
            alphanumeric character :)]

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal Rule 571, "Changing Player Names"

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal Rule 604, "After a Name Change"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 96 17:38:37 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1058 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1058
  Proposal 1058 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:17 EDT 1996
  Swingers Wish They Could Play Around I
  ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Quorum met : 10 eligible voters -- 10 players cast votes

14 YES votes   0 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

ThinMan gains 9 points.  29 -> 38

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  = 174               
  Robin Hood                                  =  23               
  Brinjal                                     =  17               
  ThinMan                                     =  38               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   3               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  47               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  14               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  62               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  16               
  /dev/joe                                    = 156               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  51               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  29               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -22               

0 NO votes:  2 points each

0 PRESENT votes:

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  De'ghew                Underworld           
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:
  Geezer                                      

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1058 - Tue Jul 30 14:05:17 EDT 1996
Swingers Wish They Could Play Around I
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Rule 990 shall be amended in the following ways:

The last sentence of Section 2, Part A, shall be replaced with: "Whenever
the rules refer to pieces as being owned by, or property of, a Swinger, the
implied meaning is that they are owned by or property of the Office of the
Swinger."

[As long as I am adressing the more serious problems of R 990, I thought
I would clean up the grammar a little, too.]

The words "this rules" in Section 2, Part A, shall be changed to "this or
other applicable rules."

The words "this rule" in section 2, Part B, shall be changed to "this or
another applicable rule."

[PartyChessPieceDef rules may define methods for capturing pieces other
than those in R 990]

A period shall be inserted directly after the initial "C" of Section 2,
Part C.  The terms "on-board" and "off-board" in Section 2, Part C, shall
each be placed inside double quotation marks [as in this sentence].

Sections 4 and 5 shall be deleted.  [Their functionality is merged into
the rewrite of section 3, below.]

All of Section 3 shall be replaced with the text between the next two "--"
symbols:
- --
3. PartyChessPieceDef rules
 A. A rule is a PartyChessPieceDef rule iff it meets the following criteria:
  i.   It defines exactly one type of piece that can be purchased and used
       in the game of Party Chess.
  ii.  It includes in its title the words "Creation of a PartyChessPiece,"
       followed by the name of the piece it creates.
  iii. It unambiguously defines the legal moves that the piece may make.
       That is, it defines to which empty squares on the board the piece
       may move.
  iv.  It defines a material value for the piece.
  v.   It defines a non-space ASCII character to represent the piece, and
       this character is different from those that represent all the other
       types of pieces.
 B. Unless otherwise stipulated by the relevant PartyChessPieceDef rule, the
    legal moves for each piece are defined relative to that piece's current
    position on the board, and may depend on the positions of other pieces
    on the board.
 C. A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define means different from those defined
    in this rule by which the defined piece may capture opponents' pieces.
    If it does, then this rule defers to that PartyChessPieceDef rule with
    regard to capturing.
 D. A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which a piece is
    promoted or demoted.  If it does not, then there are no conditions
    under which the piece it defines is promoted or demoted.
 E. A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which a piece may
    skip over other pieces during its movement.  If it does not, then there
    are no conditions under which the piece it defines may skip over other
    pieces during its movement.
 F. Section 3A of this rule defers to the rule entitled "Creation of a
    PartyChessPiece King."  This rule takes precedence over all
    PartyChessPieceDef rules, except where it explicitly defers.

4. Capturing
 A. A Capture may be performed by PartyChessPiece (1) if another piece (2)
    occupies a square on the board to which (1) could otherwise legally move.
    The Swinger that owns (1) performs a capture on his turn by moving (1)
    to the square occupied by (2) and removing (2) from the board, adding (2)
    to his own collection of off-board pieces.  Piece (2) is then said to
    have been captured.
 B. Section 4A notwithstanding, it is forbidden for a piece to capture a
    friendly piece.

5. There are eight directions in terms of which all moves are defined.
 A. Horizontal: A movement from one square to another one in the same row.
    There are two horizontal directions.
 B. Vertical: A movement from one square to another in the same column.
    There are two vertical directions.
 C. Diagonal: A movement from one square to another such that the number of
    rows moved is the same as the number of columns moved.  There are four
    diagonal directions.
 D. A primitive movement is a movement from one square to another in a
    horizontal, vertical, or diagonal direction.
 E. Every legal move must be defined as a combination of one or more
    primitive movements.  When a piece makes a move, it a legal move, it
    follows the path defined by the primitive movements that make up that
    move.

6. Various definitions
 A. In the context of a Party Chess piece, the capital letters R and C
    represent the row and column, respectively, of the square that that
    piece occupies.
 B. The symbols DestR and DestC represent the the row and column of a
    destination square.
 C. The symbol SQn, where n is a positive integer, specifies the square
    n squares distant from a piece's current square in a given direction.
    Which such symbols are meaningful depends on the piece's current position
    on the board.
 D. The symbol dR represents the absolute value of DestR-R.
 E. The symbol dC represents the absolute value of DestC-C, where the
    difference is computed as the difference of the ASCII codes corresponding
    to DestC and C.
 F. The symbols /AND/, /OR/, /XOR/, and /NOT/, in this and all other rules
    governing Party Chess, represent the logical operators AND, OR, XOR, and
    NOT, respectively.

7. All pieces are Protected.

- --

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #166
*******************************