Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #165
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Friday, August 9 1996        Volume 01 : Number 165

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 08:49:47 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Mad Hatter (Techno, for Niccolo Flychuck)

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> > The new Mad Hatter for Niccolo Flychuck is Techno, who I note followed
> > the SVH rule when he returned from vacation, unlike SMH and Pascal.
> 
> 
> Niccolo Flychucks silly vacation hat is in the shape of Gilligan's 
> Island.  Through the middle of the island runs a babbling brook. On 
> the banks of this brook sits an old man named Nick.  Nick is chucking 
> a fly into the brook with a fly fishing rod, attempting to catch the 
> beautiful rainbow trout.  On the far side of the island, behind Nick, 
> is a giant volcano spewing skittles high into the air, in a rainbow 
> of color that can be seen for miles.
> 
> 
> Techno
> Wearing a silly vacation hat of my own.
> 
>
I am so excited that I am almost speechless.  However, I can still type...
I am so happy to wear my new silly vacation hat. I find its most original
design quite appealing. Thank you Techno.
Niccolo Flychuck

btw- was "babbling brook" intended as a pun?
It's a cute enough pun if it wasn't intended.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:27:55 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: EXCLUSIVE!

>It appears that I am splitting the vote with Niccolo Flychuck, and
>since he is ahead of me in the poll, I'm pledging my support for him.
>If you were going to vote for me, vote for Niccolo Flychuck instead.
>
>NICCOLO FLYCHUCK for PRESIDENT!!
>

That was a brave move, /dev/joe, and I applaud you for it.

I would like to state publically that a vote for Niccolo Flychuck isn't a
wasted vote.  Whether he wins or I win, Ackanomic wins too.   However...
Though he is a creative player, Niccolo has yet to tell us where he stands
on the issues.

I stand for Harfyness, more fun than you can shake a stick at, and a get
tought attitude on criminals!

I stand for free alcoholic ackanomic beverages at all public events!

I stand for those who have been set to 36, and those who would like to be!

I stand for heretics, and I stand for witchunters!

I stand for the Fat Lady, and the Rock!

I stand for Ackanomic!

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:27:49 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: For sale, CHEAP!

At 8:51 PM 8/8/96, Malenkai wrote:
>1) In accordance with R 115, I am instantiating and becoming the owner
>of an entity known as a Vending Machine.  It now exists, and as such is
>extant, being that it has, in fact, now come to exist.  It shall have the
>following properties:
>

Can't be done, I am lake N.  Gadgets and Blkurprints are both protected.
You can't create a Vending Machine per R115 because that item is already
regulated by a protected blueprint.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:27:59 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Ode to Ackanomic (Rule 939)

At 3:32 AM 8/9/96, Simon Clarke wrote:
>It is my regretful duty to post the following in accordance with
>Rule 939. However, there is no rule that says you have to read it.
>
>Brinjal
>(Gaoler and repentant NAP Swinger)
>
>
>                    Ode to Ackanomic
>
>(or, Does the Gumball lose it's flavour on the bedpost overnight?)
>
>    Oh, Ackanomic, what a strange twisted game you are
>    Stranger than Scrabble or Monopoly by far
>    With rules about rules which conflict with each other
>    Like parts of some strange constitution, all scrambl'd together
>
>    Ah, gleaming Gumball, and little twisted Voting Gnome
>    To honour thee I would compose a Palindrome
>    On Trombone I'd serenade thee if the rules did but allow
>    but such things might be Protected, so I'll end now.

This poem is absolutly lovely.  And here I was worrying that Brinjal had
attended Vogon Poetry Seminars.

If I could, I would award brinjal a Blue Cross for wonderful little poem.
Of course, I can't, but if he want's it he may have my Electronic Potato.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:28:03 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Ambassador: IRC NOMIC 

There will be a game of nomic on IRC at 11:00 am Pacific Time.  This game
will be played on newnet (irc.eskimo.com 6667) on channel #nomic.  If
anyone is interested in playing with us (don't ask me who us is, I just met
these people) send me email and I will forward you a copy of the RuleSet.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:31:07 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Finance (Bascule)

>The Golden Frog, of course, will speak to no one but me, and fortunately,
>I am an assistant, I could always relay what the Frog says to me to
>Bascule, for a small fee, given that he faces Gaol and all if he doesn't
>publish the balances soon.

I wish to pick a nit!  The Golden Frog has spoken to me on two occasions.
The first occasion led to my first witch burning.  The second led to the
founding of the Church.

If I am lake N lies about such a trivial mattter as the Golden Frog, how
can we be sure that he will actually provide the railroaded Bascule the
answers for A$100?

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:57:21 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley) 
Subject: [none]

I began building the Whamiol on 8/6/96 at 12:49 Alaska Daylight Time.

It is now been completed and should be auctioned.  However, I am unclear on
who should auction this gadget.  The rules state:

>2) The Auctioneer will be the Assistant Tabulator if the day of the week
>when the Auction is called is odd (based on New York Time), and the
>Inventor otherwise. If either office is unfilled or on vacation, the other
>shall be the Auctioneer. If both are unfilled or on vacation, the Speaker
>shall be the Auctioneer. If this is impossible as well, there shall be no
>Auction until the situation is corrected. To go on vacation just to avoid
>Auctioneer duty is to be considered bad taste, and the other Players are
>permitted to sneer.

I am unclear on what constitutes an odd day of the week.  Monday,
Wednesday, Friday and Sunday? Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday?  I am Lake N
(formerly Malenkai) auctioned the previous gadget, which was completed on a
Monday.  I suppose then, that by game custom, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday
are also odd days.

If someone sees a reason why friday should be an "even"  day, I would be
more than happy to be Cheif Cheese.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:58:01 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: Whamiol complete 

I began building the Whamiol on 8/6/96 at 12:49 Alaska Daylight Time.

It is now been completed and should be auctioned.  However, I am unclear on
who should auction this gadget.  The rules state:

>2) The Auctioneer will be the Assistant Tabulator if the day of the week
>when the Auction is called is odd (based on New York Time), and the
>Inventor otherwise. If either office is unfilled or on vacation, the other
>shall be the Auctioneer. If both are unfilled or on vacation, the Speaker
>shall be the Auctioneer. If this is impossible as well, there shall be no
>Auction until the situation is corrected. To go on vacation just to avoid
>Auctioneer duty is to be considered bad taste, and the other Players are
>permitted to sneer.

I am unclear on what constitutes an odd day of the week.  Monday,
Wednesday, Friday and Sunday? Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday?  I am Lake N
(formerly Malenkai) auctioned the previous gadget, which was completed on a
Monday.  I suppose then, that by game custom, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday
are also odd days.

If someone sees a reason why friday should be an "even"  day, I would be
more than happy to be Cheif Cheese.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:15:45 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: your mail

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> 
> I am unclear on what constitutes an odd day of the week.  Monday,
> Wednesday, Friday and Sunday? Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday?  I am Lake N
> (formerly Malenkai) auctioned the previous gadget, which was completed on a
> Monday.  I suppose then, that by game custom, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday
> are also odd days.
> 
> If someone sees a reason why friday should be an "even"  day, I would be
> more than happy to be Cheif Cheese.
> 

I have a very good reason.
Friday in the sixth day. In fact, in Hebrew it is simply called 'Sixth
Day'
When I read the rule about odd and even days I was sure odd meant Sunday,
Tuesday, Thursday and perhaps Saturday ( Saturday is not normally called
by a number. However in Genesis, the 7th day is also reffered to as
Shabbat, from the word Lishbot - ' to cease working, and that day is
Saturday. Hence
Sunday - First Day
Monday - Second Day
etc.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 01:31:52 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: your mail

At 12:15 PM 8/9/96, Uri Bruck wrote:
>On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
>
>>
>> I am unclear on what constitutes an odd day of the week.  Monday,
>> Wednesday, Friday and Sunday? Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday?  I am Lake N
>> (formerly Malenkai) auctioned the previous gadget, which was completed on a
>> Monday.  I suppose then, that by game custom, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday
>> are also odd days.
>>
>> If someone sees a reason why friday should be an "even"  day, I would be
>> more than happy to be Cheif Cheese.
>>
>
>I have a very good reason.
>Friday in the sixth day. In fact, in Hebrew it is simply called 'Sixth
>Day'
>When I read the rule about odd and even days I was sure odd meant Sunday,
>Tuesday, Thursday and perhaps Saturday ( Saturday is not normally called
>by a number. However in Genesis, the 7th day is also reffered to as
>Shabbat, from the word Lishbot - ' to cease working, and that day is
>Saturday. Hence
>Sunday - First Day
>Monday - Second Day
>etc.
>Niccolo Flychuck

You know, now that I think about it this makes sense.  I'm sad to admit,
though that I don't remember enough hebrew from my lessons to do much more
than count to 10, or name the days of the week.

I know sunday is the first day of the week (it really is, look it up) so it
would be an odd day.  They would alternate from that I suppose...

Hmm.  Did we really hold an auction after all?

any comments?

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:35:13 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Niccolo Flychuck for President (was Exclusive)

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> 
> >It appears that I am splitting the vote with Niccolo Flychuck, and
> >since he is ahead of me in the poll, I'm pledging my support for him.
> >If you were going to vote for me, vote for Niccolo Flychuck instead.
> >
> >NICCOLO FLYCHUCK for PRESIDENT!!
> >
> 
> That was a brave move, /dev/joe, and I applaud you for it.

I would like to add my applause. Thank you /dev/joe

> 
> I would like to state publically that a vote for Niccolo Flychuck isn't 
a
> wasted vote.  Whether he wins or I win, Ackanomic wins too.   However...
Certainly, both snowgod and myself are good candidates for President, and
as the polls show, it's gonna be a close race.

Niccolo Flychuck stands for Ackanomic.
Even as I continue working on my campaign, I also continue drafting up new
RFCs to further enhance the fun value of Ackanomic.

Niccolo Flychuck good whole-hearted fun, which does not destory the
ackanomic framework which allows this fun to be fun.

While Niccolo Flychuck favors writing long rules, and creating new long
range projects, each of these projects opens up new rule-writing
opportunities to the rest of Ackanomia. One example is Party Chess, which
may prove to be not only a fascinating game in its own right, but also
opens up new fields for players to express their creativity, both
on-board, and in creating new types of pieces.

Niccolo Flychuck encourages group efforts, and gives credit where credit
is due.  See proposal 1094 - Creation of PartyChessPiece il-Nabi, a piece
that has been named in honor of Mohammed, an ex-player, who made a lot of
contributions do Party Chess.

Niccolo Flychuck realized that the Office of President is not to be taken
lightly. As President Niccolo intends to commence on an on-going dialog
with the various components of the Ackanomic government, including the
Justice system, and re-examine the role of the President of Acakanomia.

Niccolo Flychuck has always spoken out on the issues, and as President
will continue to voice his opinion on the day to day burning issues.

Vote for 
Niccolo Flychuck - 
the Logical Choice.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 12:59:12 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC 1. Games & Contests 2. Duels

RFC
Creation of Games & Contests
Niccolo Flychuck

1. There exists a class of entities known as "Games & Contests"
2. Games & Contests are listed on the Games & Contests web-page, which 
is maintained by the GamesMaster.
3. The GamesMaster is a Functional Officer.
4. A detailed description for each Game or Contest may be maintained on a 
seperate web-page. Each description must have a hyper-link from the 
corresponding listing on the Games & Contests web-page.
5. The Games & Contest web-page has a General Equipment Section, which 
specifies entities that may be used with any of the Games & Contest on 
the list. Entities from the General Equipment section have no influence 
on any Ackanomic entities other that than what is specified by this rule 
and by the specific game in which they are being used
6. Each Game or Contest 
has a legal ackanomic name.
7. The description for each Game or Contest may specify the following things:
a. Entities from the Genral Equipment section which are used in the 
specific Game or Contest
2b. A list of entities specific to the Game or Contest, that can be used 
as part of the Game or Contest
c. Upper and lower limits on the number of participants in the specific 
Game or Contest
d. Rules for the Game or Contest.
e. Condition for winning the Game or Contest
f. any additional information necessary to play that specific Game or 
Contest.
8. Games & Contest have no direct influence on Ackanomic. They may not 
manipulate any Ackanomic entity, with the following exceptions:
a. Games & Contest may specify transfer of currency between participants 
in the specific Game or Contest, as entry fees, rewards or penalties.
b. Games & Contests may specify a transfer of currency from the Treasury 
to the Game or Contest, with an upper of limit of A$50 per instance of a 
Game or a Contest
c. Games may add or subtract points from the score of a participating 
player. The maximum number of points added or subtracted in any specific 
instance of a Game or a Context is 12.
2
9. Adding a listing to the Games & Contests web-page
 a. Any description which is fully endorsed by at least 5 registered 
players, or by 10% of the registered players, whichever is greater, is
added to the Games & Contests web-page
 b. Any description of an entity which is fully endorsed by at least 5 
registered players, or by 10% of the registered players, which ever is 
greated, is added to the General Equipment section of the Games & 
Contests web-page
10. Removing a listing of a Game or Context, or an entity from the 
General Equipment section from the Games & Contests web-page.
- - A Game, a Context or a an entity from the General Equipment section can 
be removed by a proposal whichi has been submitted and accepted according 
to the rules.
11. Participation in Games and Contests is voluntary. No player may be 
forced to take part in a Game or a Contest.

[[These games and contests things should be fun, sort of diversions. 
Since they have such little effect on Ackanomic, except for some small 
effect on the actual participants, I see no reason to require the regular 
majority for adding a listing to the Games & Contests home page. This has 
several advantages:
1. The descriptions will not 'litter' the rule set.
2. If you don't want to play something, nobody is forcing you. You can 
ignore the whole thing if you like. 
3. If people are really opposed to some game, they can remove using a 
normal proposal.
]]

- -------------------------------------------------------

RFC
Duels
Niccolo Flychuck

1. Any player who feels offended by another player, or is engaged in a 
heated discussion with another player, may challenge that player to a duel
2. The procedure for challenging is as follows:
 The Challenging player requests another player, who is not the 
challenged player, to be his Second. If the player refuses, the 
Challenger asks another players, until someone agrees to be his Second. 
The Challenger tells his Second which player he wants to challenge, and 
the reason for the Challenge. The Challenger's Second informs the 
Challenged player of this fact. The message must clearly indicate who is 
challenging and for what reason.  
The Challenged player acknowledges receiving the message. 
Once the Challenged player has received the message he must either accept 
or decline. If he declines, then the Challenger's Second may post to the 
public forum that the Challenger has challenged the Challanged, and the 
latter has declined. The Challenged player then loses 6 points,and the 
Challenging player gains 6 points.
If the Challenged player accepts the Challenge, then he must choose a 
Second, and also has the privilege of choosing the Contest.
The Contest must be listed on the Games & Contest web-page. It must a 
Game or a Contest playable by two players, and have clear rules for 
determining a winner.
If the challenged player waives the privilege of choosing the Contest, 
then the Challenging player picks the Contest.

After the Challenged player has received the Challenge message, no more 
than four days must pass before his Second replies to the Challenger's 
Second, with his choice of Contest. Once the reply has been made, the two 
Seconds will make a public anouncement that a Duel will take place 
between the Challenger and Challenged. 

The Seconds will also discuss further details concerning the Duel, such 
as the time and place, and specific limitations. No direct communications 
will take place between the Challenger and Challenged concerning the Duel 
itself. All such communications will be mediated by the Seconds.

All communications that have been described in this rule are carried out 
by private e-mail, unless otherwise specified.

When the Duel is over, the winner of the Duel receives 6 points in 
addition to any rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the 
Contest itself. The loser of the Duel loses 6 points in addition to any 
rewards or penalties he may have received as part of the Contest itself.
The winner's Second receives 3 points, the loser's Second loses 3 points.

The results of the Duel have no other direct influence over Ackanomic. 
However if either the Challenger or the Challenged have committed 
themselves in a public message to a certain action depending on the 
results of the Duel, then they must perform that action. Should they fail 
to perform that action, it is the duty of the Second of the other player 
taking part in the Duel to call CFCJ against that player. Any other 
player may do so as well.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 02:49:01 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC 1. Games & Contests 2. Duels

I'm REALLY like these proposals.  I have yet to go through them with a fine
tooth comb, but the intent is wonderful.  Especially the Duels.  Watch out
ThinMan and /dev/joe, we might just have to duel.  Tinan can be my second
:)

At 12:59 PM 8/9/96, Uri Bruck wrote:
>RFC
>Creation of Games & Contests
>Niccolo Flychuck

>RFC
>Duels
>Niccolo Flychuck

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 03:01:29 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka Campaign Promises Take III 

A lot has been said about who has done what for ackanomic, and what who
will do in the future.

But what is being done right now???

I'll tell you what!  As we speak, I am submitting a get tough on crime
proposal to Wayne which would require that each and every GaolBird sing a
sad song on their way to the Gaol.  The lyrics of said sad song would have
to be poste to the public forum, of course, so that all of us may revel in
the pain and discomfort of the gaolbird.

Of course, as president the occasion may arrive when I am asked to release
a player who has been vindicated by the Courts.  I shall do this,
immediatly regardless of my political views regarding the prisoner.  But
wait, as an extra added bonus, I will publically sing an apologetic gaol
song to any player who was wrongly convicted.

This proposal is just a small part of my program to get tough on crime (and
criminals) as president of ackanomic.  When combined with my plans for fun
and alchoholic beverages (and yes, I fully intend to lower the ackanomic
drinking age so that all of us may partake in beverage) it becomes obvious
that I have Ackanomic's best interests at heart.

Remember - Send your votes to Malenkai <[email-masked]>.  You may cut and
paste the following sentence if you so desire:

In the matter of the election for President of Ackanomic, I vote FOR snowgod!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 14:03:52 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC 1. Games & Contests 2. Duels

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> I'm REALLY like these proposals.  I have yet to go through them with a fine
> tooth comb, but the intent is wonderful.  Especially the Duels.  Watch out
> ThinMan and /dev/joe, we might just have to duel.  Tinan can be my second
> :)

Like all drafts, it needs some work, but I'm glad to see some initial
support.  

Niccolo Flychuck

> 
> At 12:59 PM 8/9/96, Uri Bruck wrote:
> >RFC
> >Creation of Games & Contests
> >Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> >RFC
> >Duels
> >Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> snowgod
> 
> Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
> Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
> Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
> Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination
> 
> "Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"
> 
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 07:43:34 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: For sale, CHEAP!

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 

> Can't be done, I am lake N.  Gadgets and Blkurprints are both protected.
> You can't create a Vending Machine per R115 because that item is already
> regulated by a protected blueprint.

I did not realise that blueprints could "regulate"?  Are they rules?
I actually believe there is language to the contrary in the rules.
There is no reason why what I did was not legal.  The term "Vending
Machine" appears once in the rules (R 1036) and it is not regulated,
or even defined there, all it needs to do is exist, by any way, shape,\
or means (qv CFJ 229)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 07:51:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka:  Auction?

Phil Ackley wrote:
>  
> You know, now that I think about it this makes sense.  I'm sad to admit,
> though that I don't remember enough hebrew from my lessons to do much more
> than count to 10, or name the days of the week.

I do not believe Hebrew, or any other non-cultrually neutral interpretation
should hold sway unless the rules say it should, excepting the fact that
the Emglish language is the language of customary interpretation by game
custom.

I wrote the rule, and *meant* the parity of the date, ie, the 9th is odd,
etc.  That is how we did the first one, whether we realised it or not.
I think you can either except that that game custom was established at that
time, or call a CFJ.  If I don't see a CFJ by this evening, I will start
an auction then.

I see no other way to render "day of the week" so it makes sense.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 07:53:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Niccolo Flychuck for President (was Exclusive)

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 

> Niccolo Flychuck has always spoken out on the issues, and as President
> will continue to voice his opinion on the day to day burning issues.

The electorate is confused and undecided.  I think the candidates should
state the shape of the earth.

It is round.  What do you guys think?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 07:59:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Campaign Promises Take III

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 

> I'll tell you what!  As we speak, I am submitting a get tough on crime
> proposal

snowgod talks tough on crime, but refuses to retract P 1063, which will
break the Gaol, a fact that was pointed out twice.  Furthermore, he has
written a proposal called Cow Town Hotel, which will allow a convict
to avoid Gaol altogether.

Empty campaign promises.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:16:06 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Auction?

On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Phil Ackley wrote:
> >  
> > You know, now that I think about it this makes sense.  I'm sad to admit,
> > though that I don't remember enough hebrew from my lessons to do much more
> > than count to 10, or name the days of the week.
> 
> I do not believe Hebrew, or any other non-cultrually neutral interpretation
> should hold sway unless the rules say it should, excepting the fact that
> the Emglish language is the language of customary interpretation by game
> custom.
It has nothing to do with Hebrew specifically. I was just pointing out
that Sunday is the first day of the week. Since the definition of week is
based in Western culture on Genesis, and in Genesis Saturday is the 7th
day, then Sunday is the first.

 > 
> I wrote the rule, and *meant* the parity of the date, ie, the 9th is odd,
> etc.  That is how we did the first one, whether we realised it or not.

> I see no other way to render "day of the week" so it makes sense.
>

Parity of date would be much less ambigous, but "day of the week" does not
mean date. Currently the rule is ambigous.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 04:18:49 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka:  Auction?

At 7:51 AM 8/9/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Phil Ackley wrote:
>>
>> You know, now that I think about it this makes sense.  I'm sad to admit,
>> though that I don't remember enough hebrew from my lessons to do much more
>> than count to 10, or name the days of the week.
>
>I do not believe Hebrew, or any other non-cultrually neutral interpretation
>should hold sway unless the rules say it should, excepting the fact that
>the Emglish language is the language of customary interpretation by game
>custom.
>
>I wrote the rule, and *meant* the parity of the date, ie, the 9th is odd,
>etc.  That is how we did the first one, whether we realised it or not.
>I think you can either except that that game custom was established at that
>time, or call a CFJ.  If I don't see a CFJ by this evening, I will start
>an auction then.
>
>I see no other way to render "day of the week" so it makes sense.

The problem is that it says Day instead of Date.  For a _day_ to be even or
odd depends on it's order compared to the rest of the days in a week.  For
a date to be even or odd depends on it's numerical value.  Does the rule
call for day or date?  I think it says day.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 04:23:51 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Candidate Speaks out!

>> Niccolo Flychuck has always spoken out on the issues, and as President
>> will continue to voice his opinion on the day to day burning issues.
>
>The electorate is confused and undecided.  I think the candidates should
>state the shape of the earth.
>
>It is round.  What do you guys think?
>
>Malenkai

Clearly the electorate is split on this issue.  I am in a perilous of being
un-enlightened.  By stating it is flat I would please tinan, and remain
unburned.  By stating that it is round, I would be burned, but state what
many people feel is the truth.

After careful consideration, I think I believe the earth is a disk. It
exists as a flat object with only the upper surface being inhabitable, but
is round (geometrically).  Despite some earlier confusion on my part, I am
fairly certain that the earth is not a globe or a sphere.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 04:31:14 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka Campaign Promises Take III

At 7:59 AM 8/9/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Phil Ackley wrote:
>>
>
>> I'll tell you what!  As we speak, I am submitting a get tough on crime
>> proposal
>
>snowgod talks tough on crime, but refuses to retract P 1063, which will
>break the Gaol, a fact that was pointed out twice.  Furthermore, he has
>written a proposal called Cow Town Hotel, which will allow a convict
>to avoid Gaol altogether.

That's quite a statement coming from a Gaol-Evader like yourself!  I am
lake N is possibly Ackanomic's most notorious criminal.  He has partaken in
Coke illegally, and is unrepentant.  The only thing that kept him out of
Gaol was a politically inspired Appeal For Pardon (given in exchange for a
presidential vote).

I would retract P1063, but currently am unable too.  Please rest assured
that I am voting against it, as should all law abiding ackanomians.  When I
proposed this atrocity, I was unaware of it's horrible side affects.

As for the Cow Town Hotel, it will not allow a player to do anything that
they cannot do in the Gaol currently, in fact it allows less, and charges
exorbitant rates for doing so!  However, even when the gaol is well and
truly fixed, unless a player finds a way to earn A$25 a day, he will sooner
or later go broke staying in the hotel, at which time he will be removed to
the gaol.

>Empty campaign promises.

Not hardly.  Creative Solutions!

snowgod
tough on criminals

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 04:34:55 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Niccolo Flychuck for President (was Exclusive)

>It is round.  What do you guys think?
>
>Malenkai

Shouldn't this be signed I am lake N?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 08:33:47 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka:  Auction?

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 

> It has nothing to do with Hebrew specifically. I was just pointing out
> that Sunday is the first day of the week. Since the definition of week is
> based in Western culture on Genesis, and in Genesis Saturday is the 7th
> day, then Sunday is the first.

"Western Culture", or "Genesis", again is not culturally neutral.

> Parity of date would be much less ambigous, but "day of the week" does not
> mean date. Currently the rule is ambigous.

I agree the rule is ambigious.  What do you intend to do about it?  I have
offerred a solution.  Have you?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 04:41:24 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka:  Auction?

At 8:33 AM 8/9/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Uri Bruck wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:
>>
>
>> It has nothing to do with Hebrew specifically. I was just pointing out
>> that Sunday is the first day of the week. Since the definition of week is
>> based in Western culture on Genesis, and in Genesis Saturday is the 7th
>> day, then Sunday is the first.
>
>"Western Culture", or "Genesis", again is not culturally neutral.
>
>> Parity of date would be much less ambigous, but "day of the week" does not
>> mean date. Currently the rule is ambigous.
>
>I agree the rule is ambigious.  What do you intend to do about it?  I have
>offerred a solution.  Have you?

Until a fix is submitted (would the CSRR be interested in this one?) I am
willing to work under the assumption that an even "day of the week" is the
same as and even "date" and allow the assistant tabulator to begin the
auction.

If the CSRR would be interested in fixing this rule I would appreciate it.
It seems a shame to give someone 9 points for making it a proposal.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 04:43:50 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Ode to Ackanomic (Rule 939)

At 3:32 AM 8/9/96, Simon Clarke wrote:
>It is my regretful duty to post the following in accordance with
>Rule 939. However, there is no rule that says you have to read it.
>
>Brinjal
>(Gaoler and repentant NAP Swinger)
>
>
>                    Ode to Ackanomic
>
>(or, Does the Gumball lose it's flavour on the bedpost overnight?)
>
>    Oh, Ackanomic, what a strange twisted game you are
>    Stranger than Scrabble or Monopoly by far
>    With rules about rules which conflict with each other
>    Like parts of some strange constitution, all scrambl'd together
>
>    Ah, gleaming Gumball, and little twisted Voting Gnome
>    To honour thee I would compose a Palindrome
>    On Trombone I'd serenade thee if the rules did but allow
>    but such things might be Protected, so I'll end now.

With the permission of the Gaoler, I would like to post a copy of this poem
to the nomic WWW bulletin board, so that players of other nomic games may
holdwitness the the greatness that is ackanomic!

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 08:43:56 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Niccolo Flychuck for President (was Exclusive)

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> >It is round.  What do you guys think?
> >
> >Malenkai
> 
> Shouldn't this be signed I am lake N?

I believe R 115 regulates e-mail signatures.  Can we find something better
to do than nit-pick to this degree, or try to impress non 
culturally-neutral custom on the game?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 08:45:49 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka Campaign Promises Take III

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 

> I would retract P1063, but currently am unable too.  Please rest assured
> that I am voting against it, as should all law abiding ackanomians.  When I
> proposed this atrocity, I was unaware of it's horrible side affects.
> 

Why are you unable too?  The fact of the matter is that it is holding
my Locations proposal up, which is holding mr cwm's Patent Infirngement
proposal up.

In a bad mood, sorry.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 05:09:42 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka Campaign Promises Take III

At 8:45 AM 8/9/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Phil Ackley wrote:
>>
>
>> I would retract P1063, but currently am unable too.  Please rest assured
>> that I am voting against it, as should all law abiding ackanomians.  When I
>> proposed this atrocity, I was unaware of it's horrible side affects.
>>
>
>
>Why are you unable too?  The fact of the matter is that it is holding
>my Locations proposal up, which is holding mr cwm's Patent Infirngement
>proposal up.
>
>In a bad mood, sorry.

As far as I know the fix for retractions hasn't passed yet.  If it has, I'd
be moe than happy to retract it.  Just say the word.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #165
*******************************