Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #164
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Friday, August 9 1996        Volume 01 : Number 164

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:03:02 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Eleusis

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> Uri Bruck wrote:
> > 
> > Yeah. I'm posting it anyway. [eleusis]
> 
> I really enjoy the game of Eleusis, as described by Martin Gardner in
> a book years ago, the title of which I regretably cannot remember.
> 
> My recommendation is to define the game in termsof a traditional playing
> pack (something that can be rendered easily on a web page) and something
> people are familiar with, so they need not learn an unfamiliar pack, as
> well as a (potentially) unfamiliar game.  I would codify your rules,
> however, toallow the *possibility* of alternate packs, to be added later.
Currently I can't submit it as it is, because the pack I described doesn't
exist. It was rejected twice :(  in slightly different forms.
> 
> I would also eliminate some of the non-traditional elements you added,
> and add them in as amendments as the game develops.
A couple of months back I RFCd a more traditional version. It seemed to me
back then that a turn-based version of Eleusis would a rather long time.
Now I have some other ideas abot integrating such activities into
Ackanomic, which would allow multiple versions of the game to exist side
by side. 

 > 
> In other words, my opinion is to start with traditional Eleusis and
> evolve over time, rather than trying to go for too many bells and
> whistles, right off the bat.
> 
> Also, I would prefer the name "Deckmaster" or something like that,
> rather than "Wizard".  I see Wizard being used elsewhere, for more
> "wizardly" tasks.

Wizard was a left over from the original RFC, which loosely tied Eleusis
with the same Wizard who was supposed to create Otmza Cards and maintain
a shop somewhere. Since neither of those exist, there is no reason to keep
the term.
In a couple of days I will post "Games and Contests" RFC. Eventually I
intend all versions of Eleusis to be created under that concept.
 > 
> Malenkai
> 
Thanks for your comments,
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:10:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Geezer)

Not surprisingly, fon didn't post what Phoebe says and loses 3 points
for failing to do so.  I think this is the last case where a vacationing
player was selected at random to do something when the vacation rule was
broken.

Anyway, now Geezer has found Phoebe's matchbox.  Hey look, work for
the mentor! :-)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:12:47 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> I have been working on "Official Ackanomic Time" for a while now.  The way
> I have this proposal set up all actions times shall be stated in Official
> Ackanomic Time unless specified otherwise.  Official Ackanomic Time will
> begin as midnight, january first, year zero at the top of the hour
> immediatly following the distribution of the voting results in which it
> passes.
You mean we will have a different date for Ackanomic and for the game of
Real Life. Too confusing. All we need is to set a time zone, and it
doesn't matter which one. Adding or subtracting a few hours is simple
enough. Starting to convert dates of entire months is confusing.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:18:57 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> 
> I could also help other people with time zones by putting up a time zones
> web page, with definitions of the various time zones (i.e., EDT = -0400).
> I would like to have a world map with the time zones marked to put on this
> page.  Then in addition to the definitions of the various time zones, I
> could also list the normal time zones for each player.
> 
What would be really cool for such a map, would be to have it show which
parts of the world are in day-light at the moment of access (plus or minus
30 odd minutes). Perhaps as a later enhancement.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 21:32:50 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

At 8:18 AM 8/8/96, Uri Bruck wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>
>>
>> I could also help other people with time zones by putting up a time zones
>> web page, with definitions of the various time zones (i.e., EDT = -0400).
>> I would like to have a world map with the time zones marked to put on this
>> page.  Then in addition to the definitions of the various time zones, I
>> could also list the normal time zones for each player.
>>
>What would be really cool for such a map, would be to have it show which
>parts of the world are in day-light at the moment of access (plus or minus
>30 odd minutes). Perhaps as a later enhancement.
>Niccolo Flychuck

I saw a FREE CGI script that did just that, but I couldn't talk my ISP into
letting me use it.  Unfortunatly, I don't remember where I found it, or
what type of search got me there.

sorry
snowgod

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:08:40 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: Blue Thing 

The inventor would like to remind the purchaser of the Blue Thing (whoever
that turns out to be) that an excellent anagram server is available on the
web at http://www.wordsmith.org/awad-cgibin/anagram

Aditionally, there is an anagram by email server.  for more information
send a blank message to [email-masked]

Please make sure when pressing the energize button that the name you have
selected is

a) an actual anagram of the players original name
b) a legal ackanomic name

thanks,

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:18:44 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: If I had a blue thing 

If I had a blue thing...

I think I would not be able to resist changing tinan's name to "a insane
hot mist "

snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:59:38 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: New Blueprint 

Blueprint - Propeller Beanie

This is a classic felt beanie with a spinning propeller on top.  May be
worn to public meetings or private gatherings. It makes it's look like a
dork, but has some surprising side affects.

If the owner of the Propeller Beanie is wearing a Prosthetic Forehead, this
beanie will cover it up completely, in essense temporarily removing the
forehead without the hassles of sore heads or needless time delays.

At any given time, the beanie may either be worn or in storage.  It's owner
may change it's status ( from one to the other) by publically posting that
he is doing so.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:50:38 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official (time-zone)

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Phil Ackley wrote:

> >>
> >What would be really cool for such a map, would be to have it show which
> >parts of the world are in day-light at the moment of access (plus or minus
> >30 odd minutes). Perhaps as a later enhancement.
> >Niccolo Flychuck
> 
> I saw a FREE CGI script that did just that, but I couldn't talk my ISP into
> letting me use it.  Unfortunatly, I don't remember where I found it, or
> what type of search got me there.
> 
> sorry
> snowgod

A quick search brought up these two addresses:
http://www.techware.com/eva/globe/script.html
http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/Earth/action?opt=-p

Haven't looked them up yet, will do soon
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 07:03:47 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Time

On Wed 7 Aug 96,  snowgod Wrote:
>I have been working on "Official Ackanomic Time" for a while now.  >The
way
>I have this proposal set up all actions times shall be stated in
>Official
>Ackanomic Time unless specified otherwise.  Official Ackanomic Time
>will
>begin as midnight, january first, year zero at the top of the hour
>immediatly following the distribution of the voting results in which >it
>passes.

>All actions that happened before midnight january first, year zero >are
said
>to have happened at whatever time, B.O.A.T.

>If anyone actually supports this idea, I will go ahead and submit >it. 
Any
>comments?

>snowgod

Sounds pretty good as long as I won't be required to change my time-stamp
on my E-mail.  It's handled automatically,  and I don't have the ability
to change it.

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed?-
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:35:00 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Request: Send me your time zone

/dev/joe wrote:
> Malenkai wrote:
> > If Publically Knowable passes, and hopefully it will, because I think
> > all this stuff will become easier, it will be more important for players
> > to have their e-mail configured to reflect the proper time zone.  That
> > proposal will require such, if it passes.
> > 
> > I am certain, for example, that either Bascule or snowgod has the wrong
> > time zone.  It would be helpful if we could get all current players
> > correct, and make that part of the Registrar's material for new players.
> 
> Bascule's mail is sent out showing his correct local time, but the wrong
> time zone (+0000; should be +0100 for daylight savings time, or whatever
> they call it over there. :-).

This is correct. When it was pointed out to me that my mail showed 
the wrong time, I tried to configure my mail software to show +0100. 
In the preferences section (it's Pegasus mail if anyone else uses it) 
it shows +0100, but my mail still shows +0000. I don't know why it 
isn't working properly.

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 17:00:39 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Request: Send me your time zone

/dev/joe:
> Malenkai wrote:
> > If Publically Knowable passes, and hopefully it will, because I think
> > all this stuff will become easier, it will be more important for players
> > to have their e-mail configured to reflect the proper time zone.  That
> > proposal will require such, if it passes.
> > 
> > I am certain, for example, that either Bascule or snowgod has the wrong
> > time zone.  It would be helpful if we could get all current players
> > correct, and make that part of the Registrar's material for new players.
> 
> Bascule's mail is sent out showing his correct local time, but the wrong
> time zone (+0000; should be +0100 for daylight savings time, or whatever
> they call it over there. :-).

Thinking about it, I've just remembered that someone in our lab tried 
to change the time on this machine to British Summer time (daylight 
savings). Every time the machine is re-booted it returns to GMT. So I 
think the time stamp is beyond my control.

 

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:57:57 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postmasterness

Mail to observer Michael Thomas ([email-masked]) is bouncing
due to some sort of error in his filter.  26 messages have bounced since
last night.  I am exercising rule 832 and moving him to the digest version
of the list.  Incidentally, the other observer whose mail was bouncing
due to a full mailbox caught up on his mail and his mail stopped bouncing
after 5 days.

I have been considering some changes to the mailing lists to make things
run more smoothly.  The first change I have planned is, if possible,
making a mail alias which sends mail to the ackanomic list without setting
the "Reply-To" field, for those times you send something out that you
don't want people to respond publicly to (like my time-zone request, and
elections, and there are probably some other appropriate things).

I'm also looking at the making mail aliases on wilma for all the players,
so that if players can't remember somebody's address, they can at still
send them private mail if they can at least remember a generic form
like [email-masked] (where all characters besides
letters and numbers are deleted from the playername).  Or perhaps I should
just send this out every once in a while?:

Bascule              = Matt Black = [email-masked]
Brinjal              = Simon Clarke = [email-masked]
Calvin N Hobbes      = Thierry Joffrain = [email-masked]
chess piece face     = Paul Swan = [email-masked]
De'ghew              = John Spickes = [email-masked]
/dev/joe             = Joseph DeVincentis = [email-masked]
fon                  = Adrian Smith = [email-masked]
Geezer               = David Chapman = [email-masked]
Habeous Corpus       = Ed Graham = [email-masked]
Malenkai             = Randy Hall = [email-masked]
Mellon               = Niklas Mellin = [email-masked]
mr cwm               = Eric Murray = [email-masked]
Niccolo Flychuck     = Uri Bruck = [email-masked]
Pascal               = Jason Reed = [email-masked]
Robert Sevin         = Mitchell Harding = [email-masked]
Robin Hood           = Robert Shaw = [email-masked]
Simon Marty Harriman = Andy Swan = [email-masked]
snowgod              = Phil Ackley = [email-masked]
Techno               = Jerome Herrman = [email-masked]
ThinMan              = John Bollinger = [email-masked]
this is not a name   = Mike Epstein = [email-masked]
Wayne                = Wayne Sheppard = [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 18:12:09 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Financial

It seems that I shall be the Acting Financier for a while.  I do not
keep up with the financial goings on like I probably should, so...
I need the following information:

1) Is this week a bond cycle?

2) I believe corrections are required to the last bond cycle.  Can anyone
give me the set of scores that were used for the last bond cycle, and the
set that should have been used?

3) Can anyone give me the set that should be used for this one?

4) I realise that there are proposals in the queue due to be tabulated 
right about now.  Assuming /dev/joe's interpretation of Festival, will
the results be before or after the bond cycle?

5) Any other matters the Acting Financier should be aware of?

6) I cannot guarentee that I will have this done in 3 days :(

Malenkai
Acting Financier

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 18:43:28 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 250 Appeal Verdict

CFJ 250 - The Supreme Court unanimously overturns the verdict to
TRUE, and penalizes the original Judge 1 point.

Aug 08 18:44 EDT: -1 Habeous Corpus: CFJ 250 overturned

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 250
Subject: Contracts I
Initiator: ThinMan
Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Aug 02, 1996, 18:44h New York Time)

Statement:

The rules do not require players to abide by the provisions of contracts.

ThinMan's Reasoning:

A contract is not a rule, therefore the provisions of a contract can only be
legally binding if the rules say that they are.  No rule explicitly makes the
provisions of a contract be legally binding.  Rule 551, on the other hand,
makes specific provision for cases in which the provisions of a Rule are not
or cannot be adhered to by those to whom the provisions apply.  This implies
that it is possible for Players to not abide by the provisions of a contract,
and hence that not abiding by contract provisions is within the rules
(although it may carry consequences).

There is also the question of "Enforceability."  To my knowledge, this
concept appears only in rules 514, 551, and 607 among all the rules.
R 514 section (ii) seems to comprise a definition of "Enforceable" for
use in that and other rules.  If we accept R 514, section (ii) as a
definition, then any other interpretation of the word, including the
conventional English-language one, is inapplicable to contracts.  If we
must look elsewhere for a relevant definition of "enforceable" then
English-language convention is the obvious choice, but it is not clear
to me how that interpretation of the word applies to Ackanomic.

Habeous Corpus' reasoning:

Rule 514(v) states, in part:
"A Player may call for the enforcement of a behavior regulated by an
Enforcable Contract.  In such a case it is the duty of the appropriate
Officers to see to it that the Contract is enforced."

This ensures that if a party to the contract attempts to "not abide" by,
or violate ,  a provision of the contract,  the behavior required by the
contract will be carried out anyway. [note: this seems to obviate a CFCJ
in that since the required action(s) took place despite a Players attempt
to do otherwise.  No violation of Rule 101 will have actually occured]

Since the Player's behavior is modifiable to ensure compliance,  the
Player can be made to abide by the provisions of a valid contract even if
e attempts to do otherwise;  therefore,  this statement is judged to be
FALSE.

Supreme Court's reasoning:

The Supreme Court finds Thinman's reasoning to be sound,
especially (1) the argument that the explicit definintion of a term within
the Rules sets the meaning of the term for Ackanomic, regardless of its
customary English interpretation, and (2) the argument that if no call for
Enforcement is made, a player will have sucessfully and legally not abided
by the provisions of a contract. The rules do not require a player to
abide by the terms of a contract to which they are party; they define
a means by which another player may enforce compliance, if they desire
it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:55:49 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: EXCLUSIVE!

PRESIDENT TO LOSE ELECTION!

POPULARITY AT AN ALL-TIME LOW!

SNOWGOD FRONT-RUNNER!

By Bascule, Ackanomia's Voice of Reason

  President /dev/joe will no longer be President in 3 days time, The 
Day Today can *exclusively* reveal to it's readers today.

  The Day Today's *exclusive* pre-election poll indicates that
/dev/joe's popularity, which was 55% at the last election, has
plummeted since then to as little as 15% this time around. This
leaves snowgod and Niccolo Flychuck to fight it out for the
Presidency, with /dev/joe looking likely to be be left in an
ignominious third place.

  In The Day Today's *exclusive* pre-election poll, we asked you to
indicate how you would be voting in this election. With a massive
sample of twelve, the statistical accuracy of the survey cannot be
doubted, and only a massive swing of at least 20% towards /dev/joe
will keep him in office.

  In The Day Today's *exclusive* pre-election poll, we asked you the
question, "Who are you planning to vote for in the next election?"
The results are shown in the figure below.

   40%-|   xxxxx
       |   XXXXX
   30%-|   XXXXX
       |   XXXXX                   xxxxx
   20%-|   XXXXX                   XXXXX
       |   XXXXX       XXXXX       XXXXX       XXXXX
   10%-|   XXXXX       XXXXX       XXXXX       XXXXX
       |   XXXXX       XXXXX       XXXXX       XXXXX
       |-----------------------------------------------
             |           |           |           |
          snowgod    /dev/joe     Niccolo    Undecided
         (None Yet)   (Nobs)      Flychuck      15%
            38%         15%         23%

snowgod (None Yet) 38%
Niccolo Flychuck (non-aligned) 23%
/dev/joe (Nobs) 15%
Undecided 15%

  Barring a major upset, this makes snowgod the hot favourite to 
win the election, with Niccolo Flychuck in second place. 

  One question being asked is over Niccolo Flychuck's rise to
popularity. Experts say it can be explained in part by the cheapness
of Email over television advertising, which opens Ackanomia's
elections to all candidates. Elections in other countries tend to be
restricted to those with party backing or massive private wealth. Of
course, with the backing of the heavyweight political parties (None
Yet) and Nobs, snowgod and /dev/joe have no such worries.

The Poll Results in Full: Page 2
Leading Article: Page 15

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 18:59:35 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Auction (Blue Thing)

The auction for the Blue Thing is over.

Bascule's high bid of A$275 wins the gadget.  I note that it is possible
to break the rules with the device, and judgement and legislation is
pending to sort that out.

Will the Financier (or A.F.) note the debit, and the A$28 commission to
the Auctioneer.

Due to the contracts, the following still seems possible.  I note that
CFJ 250's recent verdict indicates that contracts are not necessarily
enforced, it remains to be seen whether /dev/joe or Malenkai presses the
contracts.  In any case, the following may be relevant in other threads:

tinan's A$100 bid was high in any thread where Bascule and the other
bidders were poor.

ThinMan's A$25 bind was high in any thread where tinan and the other
bidders were poor.

If no one has cash, I end up with it.

I will assume the thread in which Bascule was high bidder when figuring
the books.

Malenkai
Chief Cheese

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 00:37:43 +0000
From: The Day Today <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: EXCLUSIVE!

APOLOGY

The figures shown in the opinion poll in The Day Today are incorrect. 
The figures should have been as follows:

snowgod (None Yet) 42%
Niccolo Flychuck 25%
/dev/joe (Nobs) 17%
Undecided  17%

Sorry!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 19:24:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: EXCLUSIVE!

> 
> APOLOGY
> 
> The figures shown in the opinion poll in The Day Today are incorrect. 
> The figures should have been as follows:
> 
> snowgod (None Yet) 42%
> Niccolo Flychuck 25%
> /dev/joe (Nobs) 17%
> Undecided  17%

It appears that I am splitting the vote with Niccolo Flychuck, and
since he is ahead of me in the poll, I'm pledging my support for him.
If you were going to vote for me, vote for Niccolo Flychuck instead.

NICCOLO FLYCHUCK for PRESIDENT!!

- --
/dev/joe
Acting President for a couple more days

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 20:51:48 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: For sale, CHEAP!

1) In accordance with R 115, I am instantiating and becoming the owner
of an entity known as a Vending Machine.  It now exists, and as such is
extant, being that it has, in fact, now come to exist.  It shall have the
following properties:

- --
      The Vending Machine initally comes unequipped, but is painted
bright lemon yellow. If a Rock To Wind A String Around is confined to the
treasury, the Vending Machine may remove it from the treasury, and 
dispense it to the Machine's owner or user, so long as the machine is
used as specified below. 

      The owner of a Vending Machine may equip his machine to vend other
items by purchasing a "Vending Machine add-on" if such a gadget (or entity)
should exist. The owner of the Vending Machine may change the price his
machine charges for an item (x) by publically stating that he is doing so.
Initially, the value of x is A$4.  The owner need not do this in order 
for it to manipulate the Rock To Wind A Stick Around. 

      Any player may use the Vending Machine by announcing that they wish
to purchase an item from it. The player using the Vending Machine must
announce which item it is that he wishes to buy. If the machine only
contains one item, or if the user does not specify an item it can be
assumed that he wishes to buy a Rock To Wind A String Around. 

      Upon the purchase of any item from a Vending Machine, the machine
will transfer x units of currency from the account of the buyer to the
account of the owner of the vending machine. The vending machine will also
transfer the item which was purchased to the buyer.
 
- --

I note that R 1036 only mentions the conditions upon which another entity,
(the rock), may be manipulated by an extant vending machine, and in no
way regulates extant vending machines themselves.

2) Next, In accordance with R 1036, I shall use my vending machine,
which works as described above, to transfer the Rock To Wind A Stick
Around, currently in the treasury, from the treasury to myself.

3) Next, in accordance with R 818, I shall transfer the Rock To Wind A
Stick Around to the treasury in exchange for a non-desript, but
practical Prosthetic Forehead I see on display.

4) I shall describe the Forehead:

	It is solid gold; some appraisers have mentioned a value of 
A$500 for the headpiece.  It simply has an advertisement etched in the
front of it: 
	For Sale!! Cheap!!  
	Prosthetic Foreheads for only A$4!
	The Cheapest anywhere in the land!
	There is an endless supply and an endless variety available for
            Purchase!

5) That was rather convienent, as I saw myself getting into the P.F.
business anyway.  Given the potential difficulty of actually wearing
the Forehead, given its construction, I shall simply display it on top
of my vending machine, and offer Prosthetic Foreheads to any
Ackacitizen, without discrimination, for the LOWWWWW price of A$4.

Malenkai
In Business

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 01:53:23 +0000
From: The Day Today <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: TDT Page 2

SNOWGOD LIKELY TO WIN ELECTION

  Our *exclusive* poll reveals that snowgod is likely to win with 
a massive 42% of the vote, with Niccolo Flychuck in second place.

  We also asked you for your reasons for voting. These were as 
follows:

75%  The proposals submitted by the candidates
50%  He seems like a good bloke
25%  Supreme Court appointments
25%  Religion
25%  The flourish with which Blue Crosses and Bronze Torches are awarded
17%  Wit/fun messages*
17%  Party political allegiance
17%  The voting histories of the candidates
17%  Track record in previous Offices
17%  The need for continuity and stability in Government
8%   Judicial pardons
8%   The need for change

* This was not a category specified in the poll. It seems likely
that this category would have scored higher if it had been one of
the prespecified options.

  It seems as if the proposals candidates submit have by far the 
biggest impact on the electorate's voting patterns, with 
three-quarters of you citing this as a reason for your choice of 
candidate. By contrast, the candidate's previous track record in 
holding office in Ackanomia only interests 17% of you.

  The poll's results are a little misleading, since while religion 
appears to be a major factor in determining voting patterns at 25%, 
if the candidates themselves are removed from the sample, religion 
only matters to 11% of the electorate.

Breakdown of results:

All     Non-    Candidates
     Candidates  Only

75%     78%      67%    Proposals submitted by the candidates
50%     44%      67%    He seems like a good bloke
25%     33%      0%     Supreme Court appointments
25%     11%      67%    Religion
25%     22%      33%    Flourish of award ceremonies
17%     22%      0%     Wit/fun messages
17%     11%      33%    Party political allegiance
17%     11%      33%    The voting histories of the candidates
17%     11%      33%    Track record in previous Offices
17%     11%      33%    Continuity and stability in Government
8%      0%       33%    Judicial pardons
8%      11%      0%     The need for change

  And while 33% of non-candidates cite Supreme Court appointments
as being a reason for their choice of President, not one candidate
cites this as important. The Day Today asks the question: Are our
Presidential candidates out of touch with what ordinary people want?

  Interestingly, the while 50% of respondents marked "He seems like
a good bloke", if the Presidential candidates' responses are removed
from the sample, this figure drops to 44%.

Q3. Do you think campaigning will influence your decision?

8%  Yes
92% No

  This seems to let Bascule, snowgod's campaign manager, off the 
hook.

  Out of the one respondent who replied yes, 100% said that an
extremely silly campaign might affect their decision.

Leading Article: Page 15

**** STOP PRESS **** STOP PRESS **** STOP PRESS **** STOP PRESS **** 

PRESIDENT WITHDRAWS FROM RACE

  In a shock move /dev/joe has WITHDRAWN from the race for the 
Presidency, pledging his support for Niccolo Flychuck's campaign.

  If, as seems likely, /dev/joe's supporters switch to Niccolo
Flychuck, this would leave snowgod and Niccolo tied on 42% each. 

  This would leave the decisive votes with the 17% of undecided 
voters. 

  The importance of an extremely silly campaign cannot be 
underestimated now.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 02:09:30 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Blue Thing

I am changing the colour of The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do 
Too Much, Really, to sky blue.

 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 02:19:59 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Blue Thing

I am pointing The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, 
Really, at snowgod.

My finger is hovering over the button marked ENERGIZE.

Naah.

I have pointed The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much, 
Really, at Malenkai.

My finger is hovering over the button marked ENERGIZE.

I have pressed the ENERGIZE button.

[Whir Click Bzzzzzz]

Ah... what's this? 

"I am lake N"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 03:32:47 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Ode to Ackanomic (Rule 939)

It is my regretful duty to post the following in accordance with
Rule 939. However, there is no rule that says you have to read it.

Brinjal
(Gaoler and repentant NAP Swinger)

                    Ode to Ackanomic 

(or, Does the Gumball lose it's flavour on the bedpost overnight?)

    Oh, Ackanomic, what a strange twisted game you are
    Stranger than Scrabble or Monopoly by far
    With rules about rules which conflict with each other
    Like parts of some strange constitution, all scrambl'd together

    Ah, gleaming Gumball, and little twisted Voting Gnome
    To honour thee I would compose a Palindrome
    On Trombone I'd serenade thee if the rules did but allow
    but such things might be Protected, so I'll end now.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 02:05:35 GMT
From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: R 939

> >Are the appropriate people complying with R 939, "Party Hall Party"?
> 
> I have complied. I'm looking forward to the Gaoler's poetry if not 
> everyone does. :)

Argh! The 7th came and went without me getting access to my e-mail.
So no 939 messages from me. And it looks as if I wasnt the only
one to breach this. 

And I had nice complimentary things to say to all the other Swingers
too...

It looks as if I will have to compose that depressing, awfully-written
8-line poem. Even worse, you will all have to read it. Cover your
ears, everyone...

Brinjal
Gaoler and Repentant NAP Swinger
(Preparing to go into Vogon mode)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 23:31:35 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Ode to Ackanomic (Rule 939)

Simon Clarke wrote:
> 

> 
>                     Ode to Ackanomic
> 
> (or, Does the Gumball lose it's flavour on the bedpost overnight?)
> 
>     Oh, Ackanomic, what a strange twisted game you are
>     Stranger than Scrabble or Monopoly by far
>     With rules about rules which conflict with each other
>     Like parts of some strange constitution, all scrambl'd together
> 
>     Ah, gleaming Gumball, and little twisted Voting Gnome
>     To honour thee I would compose a Palindrome
>     On Trombone I'd serenade thee if the rules did but allow
>     but such things might be Protected, so I'll end now.

I respectfully request that the Web-Harfer find a place for this.  It
is really cool.

I am lake N
(and Bascule is Sage O'doe Gaol soon :))

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:06:36 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Mad Hatter (Techno, for Niccolo Flychuck)

> The new Mad Hatter for Niccolo Flychuck is Techno, who I note followed
> the SVH rule when he returned from vacation, unlike SMH and Pascal.

Niccolo Flychucks silly vacation hat is in the shape of Gilligan's 
Island.  Through the middle of the island runs a babbling brook. On 
the banks of this brook sits an old man named Nick.  Nick is chucking 
a fly into the brook with a fly fishing rod, attempting to catch the 
beautiful rainbow trout.  On the far side of the island, behind Nick, 
is a giant volcano spewing skittles high into the air, in a rainbow 
of color that can be seen for miles.

Techno
Wearing a silly vacation hat of my own.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:12:33 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Time Check (Brinjal)

> From owner-ackanomic  Thu Aug  8 21:47:08 1996
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 03:32:47 GMT
> From: Simon Clarke <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Acka: Ode to Ackanomic (Rule 939)

This message (headers trimmed down a bit) reveals that Brinjal's mail is
misdated in the same way as Bascule's.  It claims to be sent at 3:32 GMT
but was received at wilma at 21:47 CDT (or 2:47 GMT).  I believe this
is due to the date header showing the correct local time, but the wrong
time zone (should be +0100 for British Summer Time).  The one he sent me
directly about his time zone doesn't show the error because it and the
two public messages he sent recently (according to the Received: headers)
were all held up at whgames.demon.co.uk until only a minute or two before
they all arrived at wilma.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 00:32:46 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate

The senate election is over:

this is not a name (3 votes)
	this is not a name
	snowgod
	Bascule (Sage O'doe Gaol he)

Habeous Corpus (2 votes)
	Habeous Corpus
	ThinMan

this is not a name wins the vacant seat.

It is interesting to note that I am acting senator for two of the seats,
an as acting Historian, have contol of the Library, which has the same
status as the senate.  Its a shame there is nothing for the senate to 
do now, except perhaps impeach tinan as File Clerk.

In any case, if "Fixing the Senate Loophole" passes, or something comes
up, I will appoint someone else for tinan's seat.  He will be back in a
couple of days anyway.

I am lake N
(where is that Gaoler, prepare a cell for Bascule)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 00:56:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Finance (Bascule)

I started taking a look at the books, and what disarray they were in.
A job too difficult for me.  I spent 4 hours sifting through megs of 
email, Tammany records, etc, and was at wits end.  The deadline mandated
by "Speed" was soon approaching, I was lost, certainly heading for
Gaol myself.

I was so overwhelmed, in order to "facilitate the conduct of Ackanomic
business" in getting the books done, I appointed I am lake N to the
post of Assistant to the Financier to help me.

I still needed, however, someone with immortal wisdom, someone who had
other worldly knowledge of things financial, something I certainly do not.

Who but that sage himself, Justice Bascule!  He could probably get it
done before the deadline tomorrow, especially with the threat of Gaol
hanging over his head for violating "Speed"!

In accordance with R 457, I hereby appoint Bascule to the position of
acting Financier.  I expect he will do an excellent job, and publish the
account balances, bond yields, corrections for 7/22, and all bribes,
etc, promptly.  He is a law abiding chap; check out his by line: "Hard
Line Justice".

Wait, said the Golden Frog, I have figured it all out!! snowgod has 
A$385, ... and on and on it went.  But unfortunately I had just resigned,
and did not have the authority to publish what was said, only Bascule
has that now.

The Golden Frog, of course, will speak to no one but me, and fortunately,
I am an assistant, I could always relay what the Frog says to me to
Bascule, for a small fee, given that he faces Gaol and all if he doesn't
publish the balances soon.

I'm not greedy, perhaps Bascule could transfer me the Blue Thing in 
exchange for the information, or perhaps a small fee of A$100 to avoid
going to Gaol.  He's the Acting Financier, he can arrange the trade.

I am lake N
ex-Acting Financier
Assistant to the Financier
All around great guy

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #164
*******************************