Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #163
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Thursday, August 8 1996       Volume 01 : Number 163

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 23:39:22 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

>>And make it start on a Thursday. (I never could get the hang of
>>Thursdays...)
>
>okey dokey, I'll submit it on a thursday, arthur dent. :)

That wasn't what I meant at all. I meant that the Acka-Week should start 
on a Thursday, preferably when it's not an actual Thursday. So submit it 
on Monday or something. :)

this is not a name
on vacation (really)
ok, so it's a working vacation

- --      Mike Epstein            "Most people would sooner die than think;
      [email-masked]           in fact, they do so."
  *                      *                            --Bertrand Russell
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:40:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>  
> I could also help other people with time zones by putting up a time zones
> web page, with definitions of the various time zones (i.e., EDT = -0400).
> I would like to have a world map with the time zones marked to put on this
> page.  Then in addition to the definitions of the various time zones, I
> could also list the normal time zones for each player.

If Publically Knowable passes, and hopefully it will, because I think
all this stuff will become easier, it will be more important for players
to have their e-mail configured to reflect the proper time zone.  That
proposal will require such, if it passes.

I am certain, for example, that either Bascule or snowgod has the wrong
time zone.  It would be helpful if we could get all current players
correct, and make that part of the Registrar's material for new players.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:24:27 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Official: Vacation 

I hereby place myself on vacation.  The expected duration of
my vacation is 8 days.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:30:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Request: Send me your time zone

Malenkai wrote:
> If Publically Knowable passes, and hopefully it will, because I think
> all this stuff will become easier, it will be more important for players
> to have their e-mail configured to reflect the proper time zone.  That
> proposal will require such, if it passes.
> 
> I am certain, for example, that either Bascule or snowgod has the wrong
> time zone.  It would be helpful if we could get all current players
> correct, and make that part of the Registrar's material for new players.

Bascule's mail is sent out showing his correct local time, but the wrong
time zone (+0000; should be +0100 for daylight savings time, or whatever
they call it over there. :-).

I think snowgod's time is set correctly.  He is on Alaska time, one hour
west of Pacific time.  The headers in his messages don't show any
discrepancies.

Techno's recent mail is dated with his correct local time in CDT (-0500)
but is listed with +0000 for the time zone.

I think I've seen one other player in the last few weeks sending mail
marked -0700 which should be in some other time zone, perhaps with
netscape as was Malenkai's problem some time back.

This is a public request to all players:
Please send me a message with your proper time zone, the offset from GMT
(if you know it; I can probably figure it out otherwise), whether or not
daylight savings time is used where you live, and approximately where you
live so I can mark your location on a map.

I will let you know if the message is time-stamped incorrectly, or if
your clock is more than a few minutes off.  FYI, wilma's clock is set
daily by a time server so should never be more than about a second or
so off of the time that all other computers which are set by time
servers have.

I will post the results on some sort of time zone web page.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 00:40:35 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Request: Send me your time zone

>Please send me a message with your proper time zone, the offset from GMT
>(if you know it; I can probably figure it out otherwise), whether or not
>daylight savings time is used where you live, and approximately where you
>live so I can mark your location on a map.

EDT -0400, yes on daylight savings, about 15 miles east of Manhattan, on 
the north shore of Long Island.

<http://lycos.vicinity.com/cgi-bin/webmap?Template=lycos&Context=-73.7345,4
0.7882,100000,0,0&Icon=Smallcross%2C%2C-73.734471%2C40.788154&Width=425&Hei
ght=250&Level=%2B1&Usertext=1+South+Dr+/+Great+Neck%2C+NY+11021>

- --      Mike Epstein            "Time is an illusion,
      [email-masked]           lunchtime doubly so."
  *                      *           --Douglas Adams
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 96 00:43:44 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: whoops

Sorry to send that geographic location to the public forum. The Reply-To 
line threw me.

tinan

- --      Mike Epstein            "It is even harder for the 
      [email-masked]           average ape to believe that 
  *                      *       he has descended from man."
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/                 --H.L. Mencken

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #163
*******************************