Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #162
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Wednesday, August 7 1996       Volume 01 : Number 162

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:03:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1093

Proposal 1093 - Wed Aug 07 15:03:22 EDT 1996
Booze
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule reading:

{{all extant Bottles of Booze, and Blueprints for Bottles of Booze,
except for those created by this rule, are hereby destroyed.  Anyone
who is Drunk is no longer be Drunk.}}

A Blueprint for a Bottle of Booze is hereby created. Its text is 
(delimited by quotes):

"A Bottle of Booze (aka Booze) may be quaffed by its owner. Upon quaffing,
the quaffer is Drunk for seven days. While Drunk from the Booze, the
quaffer shall receive one point for each point deducted from his or
her score. In other words, all negative scores received by the Drunk
while Drunk shall be cancelled by the method described above. Upon the
seven day period ending, the Booze is destroyed."

{{3 Artifacts called Bottle of Booze are created from the Blueprint
for a Bottle of Booze.  Ownership is determined by private auction.}}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:03:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1094

Proposal 1094 - Wed Aug 07 15:03:45 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece il-Nabi
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. il-Nabi is represented by the ASCII character M
2. il-Nabi has one of the following moves:
  (a)3 squares diagonally, and one square either horizontally, or
vertically, provided all the squares it passes through are unoccupied. the
move must be made in that order.
  (b) If, at any given direction, SQ1 is occupied, then il-Nabi may skip
over that piece to SQ2.
8  (c) if, at any given direction, SQ3 is occupied, and SQ2,is unoccupied,
then il-Nabi may skip to SQ4. 
     For this move to be legal, it does not matter whether or not SQ1 is
occupied.
3. il-Nabi can legally capture according to 2.(a).  It cannot capture using
the moves in 2(b), 2(c)
4. il-Nabi's material value is 6
5. The proper pronunciation of il-Nabi, is with an emphasis of the 'Na',
which is pronounced the same as in 'nun', minus the last '-n'.
6. il-Nabi is Arabic for 'the Prophet', and is named in honor of Mohammed,
who made a large contribution to the game of Party Chess

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:04:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1095

Proposal 1095 - Wed Aug 07 15:04:05 EDT 1996
Portraits
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Within seven days of the passage of this rule, every existing player must
submit a portrait of themself to the Web-Harfer.  This portrait may be en
electronic representation of a photograph,  or a drawing of the player.  A
portrait need not represent the actual physical being who is the player;
instead it must represent the "character" that he is in the game.

After the submission period ends, it is the duty of the speaker to
commision a portrait for each player who has not submitted one.

The speaker may choose the method of selecting players to submit portraits.
He is authorized to transfer some sum of A$ (not to exceed A$25) from the
treasury to the account of a player who is creating a portrait of another.

For any instance of a new player entering the game, he shall have 14 days
to submit a portrait to the Web-Harfer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:05:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1096

Proposal 1096 - Wed Aug 07 15:05:30 EDT 1996
Portraits II
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

It is a Duty of the Web-Harfer to maintain a gallery of portraits.

This gallery shall be linked to the Official Ackanomic Web Page and must
contain every portrait of a player that the Web-Harfer has recieved.  If a
player has no portrait the Web-Harfer shall place an empty picture fram in
the gallery containing the words "This space reserved for x" (where x is
the name of the player without a portrait.)

If the Web-Harfer can think of a feasible way of doing so, he may charge
admission to the gallery.  However, the price of Admission must never
exceed A$2. Charging admission is a privlige of the Web-Harfer.

The Web-Harfer may, but is not required to maintain a gallery containing
images of deceased players.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:07:07 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1097

Proposal 1097 - Wed Aug 07 15:07:07 EDT 1996
Protecting Prosthetic Foreheads
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Any player who submits a proposal which would restrict the actions of a
player wearing a Prosthetic Forehead, or a proposal which would grant new
game play options to players who are not wearing a prosthetic forehead
(while denying tose same options to wearers of PFs) shall be fined A$50
(payable to the treasury) and lose 10 points.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:07:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1098

Proposal 1098 - Wed Aug 07 15:07:56 EDT 1996
In Debt
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

If at any time a player has a negitive balance of A$ in their account they
shall be  deemed to be "in debt".

The treasury will transfer A$x(where x is the sum of money required to
raise a players balance to A$0) into the account of a player who is in debt
so that his account balance will be A$0.  The player in debt will then be
considered "enslaved".

an enslaved  player is required to donate any and all currency he recieves
to the treasury, until such time as he has paid the treasury x+(x/20).

When a player has reimbursed the treasury x+(x/20) [the original sum of
money, plus another 20 percent] he shall no longer be considered enslaved.

The financier shall maintain a "credit record" wherin each time a player is
enslaved he recieves one "divot".  For every period of  30 days (not
including the first 30 days of enslavement) that a player remains enslaved
he shall recieve an additional divot.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:23:27 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II)

At 8:38 AM 8/7/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Phil Ackley wrote:
>>
>> As for the second one, I see no reason why the web harfer may not
>> resize the [portraits] as he sees fit.
>>
>
>Because, strictly speaking, the portraits would be Protected.  I think
>a qualifier allowing the Web-Harfer to resize them could be added in
>a CSR.
>
>Malenkai
>Spooked by Protection

Okay, I see your point, but it leaves us with a serious problem.  All real
world manipulation of acka entities is probably illegal.  A few examples
come to mind:

My posting a picture of my PF on the web
The Web-Harfer manipulating the rules by putting them on a web page
Players Manipulating the Rules by reading them
The graphic representations of certain entities on the registrars report.

Perhaps we need a rule allowing real world manipulation of acka entities.
Perhaps we need to re-think protection.  Any ideas?

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:28:22 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1090

At 3:02 PM 8/7/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 1090 - Wed Aug 07 15:02:34 EDT 1996
>Reservoir Poodles
>Bascule  (Matt Black)

YES! I'm voting YES YES YES YES YES on this one.  I love it. It's great.
It's better than Cat's.  I want to read it again and again!

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:33:56 -0400
From: Mike Epstein <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Campaigning

I'm running for senate. Please vote for me.

If elected, I'll tell you what campaign platform I would have espoused 
had I not been elected. That is my solemn promise to you, the electorate 
of Ackanomia.

this is not a name

- --      Mike Epstein            "Hawaii has always been a very pivotal
      [email-masked]           role in the Pacific. It is in the
  *                      *       Pacific. It is a part of the United 
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/    States that is an island that is
                                 right here."       --Dan Quayle, 1989

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 14:35:06 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: Stuff 

This may or may not be legal, but here goes:

I attempt to take myself off vacation.

I attempt to vote FOR snowgod for whatever election seems to be going on.
The presidency, am I right? Anyways, I'd always like to see a fellow heretic
in office, and snowgod four times as much, naturally.

I attempt to put myself on vacation.

- ---Pascal

Jason Reed

*******************************************************************************
* Nomic: Player: Fascists 14 & 15, AckaNomic, MicroNomic * Founder: Fascists
12-14, MicroNomic * Ambassador & Liason: Fascist 14 * Speaker: MicroNomic *
AckaNomian Heretic * Ex- : Fascist 14 TIE & THS, Agora Player, Thring
Player, pNomic Player. * Stuff: game programming, MOO-coding, Richard's PBeM
Server, Emulation, Civ II *
*******************************************************************************

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:41:40 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Senate Endorsement 

I wholeheartedly endorse this is not a name in the election for senate.

As ackanomic's most experienced senator (after all, who else has been half
the senate at any given time?) I feel that the brave young politician,
tinan, has exactly what it takes to be a great senator.  Namely, the manner
in which he tells you, calmly and professionally, and with just the right
number of words, that he is not actually telling you anything at all, but
will, once elected.

I know, way down deep in my psyche, that I want to hear what it is tinan
has to say, and I know you all do too.  That is why I urge each and every
one of you to vote for this pillar of our religious community, prosecutor
of witches, and the only player to have ever taken the alter by the horns:

this is not a name!!!

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 17:35:29 -0400
From: Mike Epstein <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1095

>A
>portrait need not represent the actual physical being who is the player;
>instead it must represent the "character" that he is in the game.

Oh, no. Now my actual physical being will be Protected, and I won't be 
able to even comb my hair, let alone move, or breathe, or anything else, 
without being thrown in Gaol.

I love this possibility. I'm voting yes.

- --      Mike Epstein            "I do not like broccoli. And I haven't
      [email-masked]           liked it since I was a little kid and
  *                      *       my mother made me eat it. And I'm 
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/    President of the United States and I'm
                                 not going to eat any more broccoli."
                                                    --George Bush, 1990

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 17:36:25 -0400
From: Mike Epstein <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1098

>an enslaved  player is required to donate any and all currency he recieves
>to the treasury, until such time as he has paid the treasury x+(x/20).
>
>When a player has reimbursed the treasury x+(x/20) [the original sum of
>money, plus another 20 percent] he shall no longer be considered enslaved.

Actually, it's 5 percent. If you intended 20 percent, that would be x/5.

- --      Mike Epstein            "I think there are only three things
      [email-masked]           America will be known for 2,000 years
  *                      *       from now when they study this 
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/    civilization: the Constitution,
                                 jazz music, and baseball."
                                                  --Gerald Early, 1994

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:14:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II)

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 

> Perhaps we need a rule allowing real world manipulation of acka entities.
> Perhaps we need to re-think protection.  Any ideas?

Once you try to codify common sense, you sometimes run into problems.  I
have a proposal in the queue which unprotects non-acka entities.  It seems
like a web page or its content falls into that.

There was also a proposal called "What is a Trombone FOR anyway" which
allowed "non-game related" manipulation of protected entities.  That
failed.

The answer is I don't know.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:17:34 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Stuff

Jason Reed wrote:
> 

> I attempt to vote FOR snowgod for whatever election seems to be going on.
> The presidency, am I right? Anyways, I'd always like to see a fellow
> heretic in office, and snowgod four times as much, naturally.

Not Legal.  You have to wait until the election is announced, which will
be later tonite.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:24:05 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 110 Verdict

CFCJ 110 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Criminal Judgement 110
  Subject:  Unlawful non-receipt of Salary
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  De'ghew (selected Mon, Aug 02, 1996, 19:20 New York Time)

Statement:

Player this is not a name has violated R101

snowgod's Reasoning:

By recieving no salary for his duties as acting gaoler, this is not a name
has violated rule 609 section iv (per rule 712 (gaoler, creation of), and
in doing so, violated R101.

R609 section iv reads:

(iv)  Acting Officers:

              The Rules may specify conditions under which a Player
              serves in an Office in an "Acting" capacity.  In such
              a case, the Player is responsible for performing all
              of the Duties without receiving any of the Privileges
              of the Office.  For any given Seat, there can be an
              "Acting" Officer only if the Seat is vacant.penalty:

Suggested Penalty:

A SENTENCE in the Gaol of 7 days.

Robin Hood's Reasoning:

Consider the judges comments on CFJ  255
I agree with them entirely.
I therefore find the statement false.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:39:04 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: SVH

Calvin N Hobbes' Silly Vacation Hat is an infinite dimensional (one for
each cell in the Gaol he is in), black  pointy witch hat.  Dimension
239 contains the FUN Party logo, which can only be seen by someone in
that dimension.

The others contain 99 tiny Blue Cross emblems, one for each proposal he
has written.  On top of the hat sits a raven, which continually squawks
"Hurry Back!".

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 18:41:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: R 939

Are the appropriate people complying with R 939, "Party Hall Party"?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:52:40 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: R 939

> Are the appropriate people complying with R 939, "Party Hall Party"?
> 
> Malenkai

All done. But Techno is on vacation - I think we may yet be subjected 
to some of Brinjal's dire poetry

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:57:07 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SVH 

>Calvin N Hobbes' Silly Vacation Hat is an infinite dimensional (one for
>each cell in the Gaol he is in), black  pointy witch hat.  Dimension
>239 contains the FUN Party logo, which can only be seen by someone in
>that dimension.
>
>The others contain 99 tiny Blue Cross emblems, one for each proposal he
>has written.  On top of the hat sits a raven, which continually squawks
>"Hurry Back!".

I heard that.

Pretty good hat. No. Amazingly good hat.
I hope it's a black raven. (oh please, oh please, oh please...)

And who is in charge of voting these days? I think Malenkai, you are running
for something, aren't you? Can I vote? For or against... hum... do I
_really_ like that hat? Yeah.

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 19:03:36 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Eleusis

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> Yeah. I'm posting it anyway. [eleusis]

I really enjoy the game of Eleusis, as described by Martin Gardner in
a book years ago, the title of which I regretably cannot remember.

My recommendation is to define the game in terms of a traditional playing
pack (something that can be rendered easily on a web page) and something
people are familiar with, so they need not learn an unfamiliar pack, as
well as a (potentially) unfamiliar game.  I would codify your rules,
however, to allow the *possibility* of alternate packs, to be added later.

I would also eliminate some of the non-traditional elements you added,
and add them in as amendments as the game develops.

In other words, my opinion is to start with traditional Eleusis and
evolve over time, rather than trying to go for too many bells and
whistles, right off the bat.

Also, I would prefer the name "Deckmaster" or something like that,
rather than "Wizard".  I see Wizard being used elsewhere, for more
"wizardly" tasks.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 19:06:18 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SVH

T Joffrain wrote:
> 

> And who is in charge of voting these days? I think Malenkai, you are running
> for something, aren't you? Can I vote? For or against... hum... do I
> _really_ like that hat? Yeah.

I am in charge of voting, but I am not running for anything.  You, by
R 115, can hold an election for best SVH, I suppose.  I've heard alot of
good things about one posted by ThinMan, I think that is the de facto
Ackanomic favorite at this point :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 18:14:02 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SVH 

>I am in charge of voting, but I am not running for anything.

What was that post that ended with "where's my campaign manager"?

CnH

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 20:10:56 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: R 939

>Are the appropriate people complying with R 939, "Party Hall Party"?

I have complied. I'm looking forward to the Gaoler's poetry if not 
everyone does. :)

- --      Mike Epstein            "The only thing necessary for the triumph
      [email-masked]           of evil is for good men to do nothing."
  *                      *                                 --Edmund Burke
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 20:13:13 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: R 939

>All done. But Techno is on vacation - I think we may yet be subjected 
>to some of Brinjal's dire poetry

Yay!

I haven't heard from Robert Sevin or Brinjal (NAP), though.

- --      Mike Epstein            "Is it progress if a cannibal
      [email-masked]          uses a fork?"
  *                      *                 --Stanislaw J. Lec
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 20:49:56 +0000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Acka: Silly Vacation Hat for Techno

First of all, I am hereby returning from vacation if that is 
permissible.

Second, I would like to give my heartfelt thanks to dev/joe for 
designing the most wonderful silly vacation hat, as it is a landmark 
honoring the few rules that I have managed to author.  I will wear it 
with pride.

Techno
Wearing the greatest silly vacation hat
Member Underworld
Swinger for Underworld
ex-pollster (rule repealed)
silly

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:45:33 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: SVH

T Joffrain wrote:
> 
> >I am in charge of voting, but I am not running for anything.
> 
> What was that post that ended with "where's my campaign manager"?
> 

I was just campaigning for my proposals.  It seemed like the thing to
do in this campaign season.  I guess it was confusing.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:50:20 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: President

The nominees for President are:

	/dev/joe
	Niccolo Flychuck
	snowgod

The election starts now and ends in three days.  Good luck to all the
candidates.

Send your vote to [email-masked], and include the word President in
the subject line.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:53:32 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Silly Vacation Hat for Techno

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> First of all, I am hereby returning from vacation if that is
> permissible.
> 
> Second, I would like to give my heartfelt thanks to dev/joe for
> designing the most wonderful silly vacation hat, as it is a landmark
> honoring the few rules that I have managed to author.  I will wear it
> with pride.

Welcome back.  Time for a couple more proposals.  I'm getting tired of
looking at snowgod's and mine :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 18:38:37 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1098

At 5:36 PM 8/7/96, Mike Epstein wrote:
>>an enslaved  player is required to donate any and all currency he recieves
>>to the treasury, until such time as he has paid the treasury x+(x/20).
>>
>>When a player has reimbursed the treasury x+(x/20) [the original sum of
>>money, plus another 20 percent] he shall no longer be considered enslaved.
>
>Actually, it's 5 percent. If you intended 20 percent, that would be x/5.

Boy is my face red.  No, I intended 5 percent, but must have typed 20 by
accident (probably thinking of the 20 in the equation).  Oooops,

Color me stupid,
snowgod

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 18:38:44 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: SVH

At 7:06 PM 8/7/96, Malenkai wrote:

>I am in charge of voting, but I am not running for anything.  You, by
>R 115, can hold an election for best SVH, I suppose.  I've heard alot of
>good things about one posted by ThinMan, I think that is the de facto
>Ackanomic favorite at this point :)
>
>Malenkai

Ooh!  An election for best SVH?  I whole heartedly vote for Robert Sevins
wonderful hat, designed by master Mad Hatter, ThinMan!

I am still toying with the idea of awards for Mad Hatters.  Perhaps the
president may grant them a citation for Outstanding Merit in SVH Design as
an addition to the presidential decisions rule?

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 21:48:10 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Mad Hatter (Techno, for Niccolo Flychuck)

De'ghew forgot to make a Silly Vacation Hat for Niccolo Flychuck before
he himself went on vacation.

The new Mad Hatter for Niccolo Flychuck is Techno, who I note followed
the SVH rule when he returned from vacation, unlike SMH and Pascal.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 22:52:41 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

I have attempted to send Techno the required friendly greetings, but his 
server timed out. Since I sent them, I believe I have satisfied the 
requirements of the rule.

><[email-masked]>... Deferred: Operation timed out during initial 
>connection with server.elysian.net.
>Warning: message still undelivered after 4 hours
>Will keep trying until message is 5 days old

- --      Mike Epstein            "And the beast shall come forth
      [email-masked]           surrounded by a roiling cloud of
  *                      *       vengeance. The house of the unbelievers
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/    shall be razed and they shall be
                                 scorched to the earth. Their tags
                                 shall blink until the end of days."
                                            --The Book of Mozilla, 12:10

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 23:01:26 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official: Vacation

I place myself on vacation. I'm going to Boston for the weekend.

My expected duration of vacation is three days.

Please remember to vote for me for Senate! :)

- --      Mike Epstein            "The Minutemen are not tall
      [email-masked]           in terms of height."
  *                      *      --Dan Bonner, CBS sportscaster
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 22:59:23 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

this is not a name wrote:
> 
> I have attempted to send Techno the required friendly greetings, but his
> server timed out. Since I sent them, I believe I have satisfied the
> requirements of the rule.

I have been thinking about the issue of when the 7th officially ended.
It seems that game custom initially was that we were on Austin time,
now it seems that game custom indicates New York Time.

On the other hand, it is no longer the 7th in Israel or the UK or Sweden.
Should the day begin in the location of our easternmost player, or in
the time zone of the server (Austin), or the time zone of the Tabulator?

I have been specifiying in my rules, but have not been satisfied with 
that.  I realise a proposal to make Austin time the official time zone
failed a long time ago. 

Malenkai
this is not a .signature file

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:01:44 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

> I have attempted to send Techno the required friendly greetings, but his 
> server timed out. Since I sent them, I believe I have satisfied the 
> requirements of the rule.
> 
> ><[email-masked]>... Deferred: Operation timed out during initial 
> >connection with server.elysian.net.

Techno's current registered email address is [email-masked], mainly
because of trouble like the above he had with elysian.net.

I will probably be announcing a new political party soon, but not until
after the party hall party is over, to avoid any confusion.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 19:09:21 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

At 10:59 PM 8/7/96, Malenkai wrote:
>this is not a name wrote:
>>
>> I have attempted to send Techno the required friendly greetings, but his
>> server timed out. Since I sent them, I believe I have satisfied the
>> requirements of the rule.
>
>I have been thinking about the issue of when the 7th officially ended.
>It seems that game custom initially was that we were on Austin time,
>now it seems that game custom indicates New York Time.
>
>On the other hand, it is no longer the 7th in Israel or the UK or Sweden.
>Should the day begin in the location of our easternmost player, or in
>the time zone of the server (Austin), or the time zone of the Tabulator?
>
>I have been specifiying in my rules, but have not been satisfied with
>that.  I realise a proposal to make Austin time the official time zone
>failed a long time ago.
>
>Malenkai
>this is not a .signature file

I have been working on "Official Ackanomic Time" for a while now.  The way
I have this proposal set up all actions times shall be stated in Official
Ackanomic Time unless specified otherwise.  Official Ackanomic Time will
begin as midnight, january first, year zero at the top of the hour
immediatly following the distribution of the voting results in which it
passes.

All actions that happened before midnight january first, year zero are said
to have happened at whatever time, B.O.A.T.

If anyone actually supports this idea, I will go ahead and submit it.  Any
comments?

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 23:11:28 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

>Techno's current registered email address is [email-masked], mainly
>because of trouble like the above he had with elysian.net.

Is this recent? I got that address from the player list on the web page a 
few days ago when I was Acting Chess-Umpire.

- --      Mike Epstein            "Some of the world's greatest feats
      [email-masked]           were accomplished by people not smart
  *                      *       enough to know they were impossible."
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/                            --Doug Larson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 19:12:27 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: SVH VIOLATORS!!! 

I am considering submiting CFCJs against ackanomics two SVH violators.  Let
this serve as a warning to both of you.  If I don't see some thanks and
admiration soon, it will be to the Gaol with you!

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:13:15 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II) 

snowgod wrote:

>Okay, I see your point, but it leaves us with a serious problem.  All real
>world manipulation of acka entities is probably illegal.  A few examples
>come to mind:
>
>My posting a picture of my PF on the web
>The Web-Harfer manipulating the rules by putting them on a web page
>Players Manipulating the Rules by reading them
>The graphic representations of certain entities on the registrars report.
>
>Perhaps we need a rule allowing real world manipulation of acka entities.
>Perhaps we need to re-think protection.  Any ideas?

I think we need to rethink protection.  Default protection for everything
was a quick fix that has generated all sorts of problems and will generate
more.  I suggest as an alternative some variation on the Power scheme that
pTang and I worked on.  I think that the problems with our current system
are becoming sufficiently obvious that such a large-scale overhaul might
receive sufficient support.  Unfortunately, I am about to go on vacation
for a week, and will not be able to work on anything of the sort for a
week.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:17:34 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

> >Techno's current registered email address is [email-masked], mainly
> >because of trouble like the above he had with elysian.net.
> 
> Is this recent? I got that address from the player list on the web page a 
> few days ago when I was Acting Chess-Umpire.

The change was announced July 20th.  I change it on the player list page,
and in the archive of players' names and email addresses, but not on
the party page, so you might have found the old address there.  This
has been corrected.

In general, the addresses on the page with the list of all the players
are always going to be the most current.  Rarely-used pages sometimes
get forgotten about.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 23:19:54 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

>I have been working on "Official Ackanomic Time" for a while now.  The way
>I have this proposal set up all actions times shall be stated in Official
>Ackanomic Time unless specified otherwise.  Official Ackanomic Time will
>begin as midnight, january first, year zero at the top of the hour
>immediatly following the distribution of the voting results in which it
>passes.
>
>All actions that happened before midnight january first, year zero are said
>to have happened at whatever time, B.O.A.T.
>
>If anyone actually supports this idea, I will go ahead and submit it.  Any
>comments?

Make it start the midnight afterwards. Otherwise it would get WAY too 
confusing.

And make it start on a Thursday. (I never could get the hang of 
Thursdays...)

- --      Mike Epstein            
      [email-masked]          The nice thing about standards is,
  *                      *      there are so many to choose from.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:20:48 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Senate Endorsement 

snowgod (I think) wrote:
>(after all, who else has been half
>the senate at any given time?) 

Actually, I was briefly half the Senate.  Unlike some other
players who will remain _nameless_, *I* had the personal integrity
and honor to resign my acting Senate seat once I was elected a
real Senator.  ;->

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:20:23 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II)

John Bollinger wrote:
> 
> snowgod wrote:
> 
> >Okay, I see your point, but it leaves us with a serious problem.  All real
> >world manipulation of acka entities is probably illegal.  A few examples
> >come to mind:
> >
> >My posting a picture of my PF on the web
> >The Web-Harfer manipulating the rules by putting them on a web page
> >Players Manipulating the Rules by reading them
> >The graphic representations of certain entities on the registrars report.
> >
> >Perhaps we need a rule allowing real world manipulation of acka entities.
> >Perhaps we need to re-think protection.  Any ideas?
> 
> I think we need to rethink protection.  Default protection for everything
> was a quick fix that has generated all sorts of problems and will generate
> more. 

Default protection, in my mind did nothing, except make CFJ 113 a rule,
which it was anyway, really, by R 215.  That was also the point of the
"Coke" CFCJ.  It seemed the best way to bring it to the fore, given that
there was an adjenda to eliminate CFJ 113.

I've always thought the problem could be handled by common sense, judgement,
and the spirit of the game.  I realise that sounds like "handwaving".

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 23:21:53 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

this is not a name wrote:
> 

> And make it start on a Thursday. (I never could get the hang of
> Thursdays...)

And be creative with the terminology.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 19:26:26 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Senate Endorsement

At 10:20 PM 8/7/96, John Bollinger wrote:
>snowgod (I think) wrote:
>>(after all, who else has been half
>>the senate at any given time?)
>
>Actually, I was briefly half the Senate.  Unlike some other
>players who will remain _nameless_, *I* had the personal integrity
>and honor to resign my acting Senate seat once I was elected a
>real Senator.  ;->

Truth be told, I stayed in waiting for someone to force me out.  I wanted
to see if it could be done, but no one ever got around to it.  I was going
to try a ploy where tinan and I would impeach every functional officer
(using his appointership and my two seats) but I figured that would be more
than a little rough just to try and force my removal.

Oh well.  It was a funny thought :)

>
>ThinMan

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 19:29:17 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

At 11:19 PM 8/7/96, this is not a name wrote:
>>I have been working on "Official Ackanomic Time" for a while now.  The way
>>I have this proposal set up all actions times shall be stated in Official
>>Ackanomic Time unless specified otherwise.  Official Ackanomic Time will
>>begin as midnight, january first, year zero at the top of the hour
>>immediatly following the distribution of the voting results in which it
>>passes.
>>
>>All actions that happened before midnight january first, year zero are said
>>to have happened at whatever time, B.O.A.T.
>>
>>If anyone actually supports this idea, I will go ahead and submit it.  Any
>>comments?
>
>Make it start the midnight afterwards. Otherwise it would get WAY too
>confusing.
But it doesn't really start at midnight.  It starts at the top of whatever
hour follows it's realease in the voting results.  That time is officially
set as the begining of Official Ackanomic Time (whatever world time zone
that turns out to be is just coincidence).  All actions would then relate
to that time, as would days.

>And make it start on a Thursday. (I never could get the hang of
>Thursdays...)

okey dokey, I'll submit it on a thursday, arthur dent. :)

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 22:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

snowgod wrote:
> I have been working on "Official Ackanomic Time" for a while now.  The way
> I have this proposal set up all actions times shall be stated in Official
> Ackanomic Time unless specified otherwise.  Official Ackanomic Time will
> begin as midnight, january first, year zero at the top of the hour
> immediatly following the distribution of the voting results in which it
> passes.
> 
> All actions that happened before midnight january first, year zero are said
> to have happened at whatever time, B.O.A.T.
> 
> If anyone actually supports this idea, I will go ahead and submit it.  Any
> comments?

I'd rather just use real time, and specify some time zone to be the
default, for things in the rules that happen at a certain time, or on
a certain day, etc., without specifying what time zone they occur in.

Using some alternate time, as you propose, means having to convert
from timestamps on messages when certain things occur, *often*, and
would result in a lot of things being recorded in real time, anyway.
Just adding or subtracting some hours to account for the time zone is
a lot less work than, say, subtracting 230 days, 14 hours, 12 minutes,
and 41 seconds from every time, *in addition* to checking the time
zone.

The easiest time conversions occur if we choose to use GMT, +0000,
as our standard time.  This way, messages with -0800 type time zones
included can be converted to official time just by undoing the change
listed (adding 8 hours in the case shown).  On the other hand, I used
EDT (-0400) in the pointlog since it is the time zone for the tabulator,
assistant tabulator, clerk of the court, and some other officers.

I could also help other people with time zones by putting up a time zones
web page, with definitions of the various time zones (i.e., EDT = -0400).
I would like to have a world map with the time zones marked to put on this
page.  Then in addition to the definitions of the various time zones, I
could also list the normal time zones for each player.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #162
*******************************