Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #161
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Wednesday, August 7 1996       Volume 01 : Number 161

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:42:39 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re:  Acka: CFJ 256 Verdict

On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, John Bollinger wrote:
>Niccolo Flychuck wrote:
> [**]
> >I maintain that the rules must be followed in their entirety, and that we
> >cannot choose which parts of the rules to follow. Following a rule which is
> >made up of several  sections means following section 1 of the rule, and also
> >following section 2 of the rule, and also following section 3 of the rule,
> >and so on, unless the rule itself defines some other relationship between
> >those sections.
> 

> In addition, I object to your comments following the [**] symbol above.  You
> imply with them that I do not agree with those statements when in fact I do,
> and have never maintained otherwise.  Indeed, that is precisely the basis

As Thinman wrote, we've probably made the most out of this discussion. I'd
one like to clear up the above point.
The only purpose of the opening statement of my above paragraph is exactly
that, to serve as an opening statement for a paragraph, for the purpose of
making the entire paragraph more readable, and making the argument
complete. It was in no way intended as an implication that Thinman argues
otherwise, or that his argument is given in anything but good faith.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:56:07 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vote for Niccolo Flychuck

Vote for Niccolo Flychuck

Niccolo Flychuck has demonstrated once and again that e does not turn away
from controversial issues. E takes a stand and faces those issues until
they are resolved. 
Even now, during an election week, undoubtedly a sensitive time period for
any politician, e is right in the middle of another major issue, the
resolution of which may have far and wide implications on Ackanomia in its
entirety. 

Niccolo Flychuck faces the issues

Vote for 
Niccolo Flychuck - 
the logical choice.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 11:22:00 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka : resubmittd PCPD il-Nabi

I resubmitted the rule defining the PartyChessPiece il-Nabi, with a
proper title. 
As far as the existing proposal is concerned, once the fix for retraction
is accepted, I'll retract it. For now, I'll simply vote against it. If
you were going to vote for il-Nabi, please vote for the new version, not
for 1078.

Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 00:30:22 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Beer and Spirit at Festivals

>> If I am elected President, free ackanomic beverages will be available for
>> everyone at all public gatherings.  All Parades, Witch Burnings, Festivals,
>> etc will be catered by Frobozz Magic Beverage Company (A subsiderary of
>> Frobozz Magic Metal), who will provide fine Ales, Wine, Mixed Drinks, and
>> non-alchoholic beverages for those who are so inclined.  Of course, I will
>> request that COKE not be served anywhere within the boundries of Ackanomic.
>
>These entities are still Protected.  Throw him in Gaol for just
>*mentioning* them!
>
>Phoebe for President !

No!! Notice I said "ackanomic beverages" meaning an ackanomic entity with
the same properties as said real life beverages.  This is an important
distinction, and I thought it through before adding beverage to my campaign
platform.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 00:30:31 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: vote for ME!

At 9:10 PM 8/6/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Tired of frivilous paradox CFJs every 3 minutes?  Vote YES for for the
>Chartreuse Goose!  It won't eliminate them, it'll just make 'em more
>fun!

I am...

>Tired of a scoring system that only rewards those who write mountains
>of proposals with little chance of failure?  In so doing, stifles
>creative (risky) proposals, and encourages frivilous paradox CFJs every
>three minutes as an alternative (only) chance to win.

I am...

>Vote YES for Syzygy! Will it be easy? No, but its an *alternative*.
>Support alternative ways to win, give people a long term winning objective
>to strive for!  Open the door for alternative winning conditions!
>
>Malenkai
>Campaigning (hey, where's *my* campaign manager?)

Okay, okay.  I support your proposals... But what the heck are you running for??

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 00:30:36 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 261 (Brinjal)

At 10:49 PM 8/6/96, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>> Call For Judgement 261
>> Statement:
>> If a Blueprint is judged to create a Gadget who's behaviour could
>> *potentially* break the Rules (or it could *possibly* be used to break
>> the rules), the Blueprint is destroyed in accordance with R 594.
>
>I had been wondering a little about that too.  More extreme, though, is a
>possible situation with the Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much,
>Really.  What happens if the really big blue thing is used on a player
>named fon when fno, ofn, nof, onf, and nfo are all illegal names (even
>if 3 letter names are allowed, which they aren't currently)?  The
>blueprint says it changes any player's name to another name that is an
>anagram of the original, but it is possible for all other such names
>to be illegal.  For that matter, what happens if it is used on a player
>named ffff?

Okay, I don't think that would ever be a problem (with the blue thing,
anyway) but we really should have a rule in place that says if someone
tries to use a gadget in violation of the rules, the gadget is destroyed
(and the illegal move is retracted) or something like that.

As for an anagram of ffff.  There are at least 4.  ffff, ffff, ffff, and ffff.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 01:42:58 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Proposal (II) 

It is a Duty of the Web-Harfer to maintain a gallery of portraits.

This gallery shall be linked to the Official Ackanomic Web Page and must
contain every portrait of a player that the Web-Harfer has recieved.  If a
player has no portrait the Web-Harfer shall place an empty picture fram in
the gallery containing the words "This space reserved for x" (where x is
the name of the player without a portrait.)

If the Web-Harfer can think of a feasible way of doing so, he may charge
admission to the gallery.  However, the price of Admission must never
exceed A$2. Charging admission is a privlige of the Web-Harfer.

The Web-Harfer may, but is not required to maintain a gallery containing
images of deceased players.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 02:10:12 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II): OOOPS!!

 I meant to send this to Wayne, but I must of entered the wrong adress.  Sorry.

At 1:42 AM 8/7/96, Phil Ackley wrote:
>It is a Duty of the Web-Harfer to maintain a gallery of portraits.
>
>This gallery shall be linked to the Official Ackanomic Web Page and must
>contain every portrait of a player that the Web-Harfer has recieved.  If a
>player has no portrait the Web-Harfer shall place an empty picture fram in
>the gallery containing the words "This space reserved for x" (where x is
>the name of the player without a portrait.)
>
>If the Web-Harfer can think of a feasible way of doing so, he may charge
>admission to the gallery.  However, the price of Admission must never
>exceed A$2. Charging admission is a privlige of the Web-Harfer.
>
>The Web-Harfer may, but is not required to maintain a gallery containing
>images of deceased players.
>
>
>snowgod
>
>Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
>Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
>Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
>Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination
>
>"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 02:17:50 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Election Endorsement 

I am officialy endorsing snowgod as my choice for president!

Amazing, eh?

But seriously, whoever you support (and I sure hope it's me) please make
sure to VOTE!!!  Of course, you can't do that yet.. The elction hasn't
officially started, but it will, and when the time comes, I would like each
and every one of you to send a little note to Malenkai containing these
works:

"In the matter of the election for president I vote for..." (That part's
required) "snowgod" (optional, but highly reccomended).

And hey, if your not going to vote for me, I would at least urge you to
vote for Niccolo.  If either one of us wins the election, Ackanomic wins in
the long run.  Needless to say, if I win the election, Ackanomic wins in
the short run too, but hey, it's needless to say, so I won't.

To sum it all up...

If you want a president who will be tough on crime (and criminals), who
will be fair to the falsly accused, and who will provide fun and beverages
to ackanomic VOTE FOR SNOWGOD!

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 05:19:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II)

> This gallery shall be linked to the Official Ackanomic Web Page and must
> contain every portrait of a player that the Web-Harfer has recieved.  

"a portrait of every player who has submitted one to the web-harfer",
as opposed to every portrait recieved.

Also allow the web-harfer to limit the size of pictures to something
reasonable.  I'd like to think of doing this in a table, with empty
cells for the portraitless players, and there would be a maximum size
for the portraits.

The idea is a good one though.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 02:23:49 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II)

At 5:19 AM 8/7/96, Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
>> This gallery shall be linked to the Official Ackanomic Web Page and must
>> contain every portrait of a player that the Web-Harfer has recieved.
>
>"a portrait of every player who has submitted one to the web-harfer",
>as opposed to every portrait recieved.
>
>Also allow the web-harfer to limit the size of pictures to something
>reasonable.  I'd like to think of doing this in a table, with empty
>cells for the portraitless players, and there would be a maximum size
>for the portraits.
>
>The idea is a good one though.

Oops,  Thanks for the input.  I believe the other proposal that goes along
with this one should clear up your first concern.  As for the second one, I
see no reason why the web harfer may not resize the proposals as he sees
fit.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 06:55:37 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Re: Acka: CFJ 261 (Brinjal)

I don't see a problem with the blueprints,  unless there is something
inherent in the design that will necessitate a violation of the Rules. 
Possible violations,  and possible missuse of the Gadget to violate the
Rules reflect on the Gadget itself,  not the Blueprint.

Since a Gadget must _do_ something,  and some actions are Protected, 
Maybe the Gadget self-destructs automatically if an attempt is made, 
intentionally or otherwise,  to commit an unauthorized action?????

Even if this is not the case,  and we have to fix Gadgets,  I don't see
it as being a Blueprint Problem but a Gadget problem.

Habeous Corpus
<How many ants would have to fart simultaneously before anyone noticed?-
Harry Harrison>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 08:38:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal (II)

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> As for the second one, I see no reason why the web harfer may not
> resize the [portraits] as he sees fit.
>            

Because, strictly speaking, the portraits would be Protected.  I think
a qualifier allowing the Web-Harfer to resize them could be added in
a CSR.

Malenkai
Spooked by Protection

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 17:13:29 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka :RFC Law of Party Gravity 

     a proposal to create a rule entitled "The Law of Party Gravity" which
contains the
     following text: 

     1. 
     a.There are four levels of Swingers, named Primo, Secondo, Tertio, and
Populi.
     b. Primo is the highest, Secondo is one level below Primo, Tertio is
two levels below
     Primo and Populi is three levels below Primo.
     c. The levels Primo, Secondo and Tertio can be occupied by no more than
one Swinger.
     The Populi level can be occupied by any number of Swingers. 

     2. a. Whenever Weight is recalculated, and there are no ties, Swingers
are reassigned
     to levels. The Swinger with the highest Weight is assigned to Primo,
the Swinger with
     the second highest weight is assigned to Secondo, the Swinger with the
third highest
     weight is assigned to Tertio, the rest of the Swingers are assigned to
Populi
     b. If there is a tie between two or more Swingers, neither one of the
Swingers
     involved in the tie is reassigned, and the Tie-Fighter, section of this
rule is
     invoked.
     c. Whenever a Swinger is reassigned to a higher level than the level e
currently
     occupies, e is said to have moved up, by 1,2, or 3 levels, depending
upon the
     difference between eir source and destination levels. Similarly,
whenever a Swinger
     is reassigned to a lower level, e is said to move down 1,2 or 3 levels, 

     3. SwingVotes
   a. When ever the Round Count is incremented to a number that, when
divided by RoundFreq, 
   results in an integer, SwingVotes are distributed according to the
following scheme 
     (i) Primo receives 3 
     (ii) Secondo receives 2
     (iii) Tertio receives 1 
 b.     SwingVotes may only be created of destroyed as 
       described in this rule. 

     c. Whenever a Swinger moves up one or more levels, e recieves one
SwingVote for every
     level e moves. Whenever a Swinger moves down one or more levels, e
loses one
     SwingVotes for every level e moves down, or if e does not have this
many SwingVotes,
     e loses all SwingVotes e owns 

     d. SwingVotes may be sold, traded, or given away. Parties may regulate
the way in
     which the SwingVotes owned by their Swinger are sold,traded or given away. 
     e. The NAP Swinger may only sell, trade, or give away SwingVotes to
non-aligned
     players. 

     f.(i) A player who owns a SwingVote may cast it for or against a
proposal, in
     addition to any other vote they may cast according to other rules. a
SwingVote can
     only be used once. Once it has been cast it no longer exists.
     (ii). For any single proposal, a given player may cast at most one
SwingVote
     (iii). For any single proposal, a given party may cast at most two
SwingVotes.
     (iv). The total number of SwingVotes used by non-aligned players is
limited only by
     section 3.f.(ii) of this rule, and is not limited by section 3.f(iii)
of this rule
     (v) This rule takes precedence over R390 
     (vi) If more than two SwingVotes are cast by a single party on a given
proposal, then only the first two are counted. The SwingVotes which have
been cast but not counted, are destroyed, as if they have been used.
   
4.RoundFreq can only be changed in one of the following ways:
a. When a proposal to change RoundFreq is accepted.
b. Exactly one week after at least a third of all Institutions currently in
session agree 
on a change. If , during that week, at least 50% of the Institutions in
session decide 
against the change, the change does not take place.

  5. Tie-Fighter
As long  as a Tie-Fighter condition exists, the following things happen:
a. SwingVotes are not counted. However, any SwingVotes cast on proposals
whose voting period during the Tie-Fighter are destroyed
b. Any player who receives points for eir proposal being accepted, or for
voting 
against an accepted proposal, or for voting for a rejected proposal receives
a bonus, 
which depends on the Swinger e is associated with
Players associated with Primo receive a 5 point bonus.
Players associated with Secondo receive a 3 point bonus.
Players associated with Tertio receive a 2 point bonus.
c. Plaers who are party members are associated with the Swinger who of eir
party. 
Non aligned players are associated with the NAP Swinger

     6. It is the duty of the Tabulator to keep track of all aspects of
SwingVotes. 
- --------------------------
Here is another paragraph which I originally wrote to clarify the meaning of
a decision taken by an Institution. Perhaps it should be proposed as a
seperate rule, or as an ammendment to Institutions.

This section defers to rules governing decision making in Institutions. 
An Institution supports an action when a simple majority of its members
support the 
action. An Institution opposes an action when a simple majority of its members 
opposes an action. If the members of an Institution are tied in respect to a
specific 
action, and there is no provision for breaking ties in that Institution,
then that 
instiution neither supports, nor opposes that action.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 17:21:05 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC Eleusis 

Yeah. I'm posting it anyway. Even though we have no playing cards to play
with. Senza scoring rules, which I have yet to figure out. 
Still, I might rewrite it to use something other than playing cards. The
Wizard (or whoever takes eir place for this game) can give out numbers,
letters and colors just as well, none of which need to be defined in a
seperate rule. So feel free to comment anyway on this version of the game
Niccolo Flychuck

RFC
Creation of the game of Eleusis
Niccolo Flychuck

1.Let there be an Ackanomic entity known as the game of Eleusis. The number of 
pcks of playing cards needed for a game of Eleusis is at least on pack of
playing cards 
for every 6 participants.
The game of Eleusis takes place in the Wizard's shop, and can be conducted
only by 
the Wizard. If there is no Wizard, then the game of Eleusis cannot be played.

2 A Wizard may conduct more than oneinstance of the  game of Eleusis 
Simultaneously. The number of games of Eleusis played simultneously in
restricted 
by the number of packs of playing cards owned by the Wizard.

3. Starting an new instance of the game of Eleusis.
There is more than one way to start a new instance of the game of Eleusis.
a. The Wizard declares publically that e is starting a new instance of the
game of 
Eleusis. Players may notify the Wizrad of eir desire to join the game either
publically 
or in private e-mail. No player can be turned away, unless e cannot pay the
entry fee, 
or unless there is not a sufficient number of playing packs of playing cards
such a 
number of players. In the latter case, players join the game on a first
come, first join , 
basis. If  8 days after the Wizard's anouncement, there are 4 or more
players who wish 
to play a game of Eleusis, then the Wizard anounces the begining of the
game. If less 
than four players responded to the Wizard's anouncement, the game does not
begin. 
The Wizard may make as many anouncement as e wishes, provided that one 
anouncement is not made within the 8 day period following another anouncement.
b. If six or more players decide they want to play a game of Eleusis, and no 
anouncement has been made by the Wizard, the may communicate this fact to the 
Wizard, in a public forum. In response to this the Wizard must declare eir
intent to 
start a new insatnce of the game of Eleusis, according to the procedure
described in 
section 3.a

Once an instance of the  game of Eleusis has started, no new players may
join it. Each 
of the players who joined, pays a sum of 50 A$ and places it in the Wizard's
Pot. The 
Wizard places the Eleusis Prize in the Wizard's Pot, plus 150A$. The
Treasury places 
50A$ in the Wizard's Pot. Each of the players who play the game of Eleusis
shall as 
Participant of Eleusis, or PoE (pl. PoEs)

4. Object of the game of Eleusis
Each of the PoE attmept to guess at the rule made up by the Wizard, which 
determines which cards be legally played at each turn

5. The Eleusis Grid - 
a. Let GridSize equal 14 or the the number of PoEs multiplied by two, which
ever is 
greater.
b. The Grid is made up of rows, each row is divided into cells.
c. Cells in each row are numbered from right to left, the right most cell is
always 
numbered 1. Consecutive cells are numbered with increasing consecutive
integers. 
d. Rows are marked with letters of the alphabet, starting with A for the
bottom row, 
and with subsequent letters for subsequent rows.
e. The number of cells in the bottom row is equal to GridSize. The number of
cells in 
any other row, is one less the number of cells in the row directly below.
The right 
most cells of all the rows form a vertical column. All cells are the same
size. The size 
of a cell happens to be the same as the size of a playing card.

6 . Setting up the game
a. The Wizard make up a rule that determines which cards are legal to play
in which 
squares. The rule must depend onlly on cards that have been played
correctly, and 
whose place on the Grid is above or to the left of the card whose legality they 
determine.
b. The Wizard randomly deals out 14 playing cards, from the packs of playing
cards 
used for the specific instance of the game of Eleusis, to each PoE. The
Wizard sends 
each PoE a listing of eir own hand.

c.From the remaining pack of playing cards, the Wizard deals out one card
for each 
row in the Grid, and places it in the leftmost cell of that row. E declares
those cards to 
be the initial cards, E posts the list of initial cards, and their placement
on the Grid to 
all the PoEs. 
d. The Correct Card Count is set to 1. The Apprentice Correct Card Count is
set to 0.
e. The set of playing cards controlled by any given player at any given
moment is 
known as that PoEs hand.
f. A correct card is a card that is legal to play according to the secret
rule, an incorrect 
card is a card that is illegal to play to the secret rule.

7. Publishing information concerning the game of Eleusis.
For each instance of the game of Eleusis the Wizard must maintain a web-page
which 
contains the following information:
a. The current status of the Grid. i.e. - the cards in each position of the
Grid, for each 
position there must also a list of incorrect cards played for that position.
b. The names of all the PoEs.
c. The name of the Apprentice, if there is an Apprentice.
d. The status of the Wizard's Pot.
e. The value of the Correct Card Count.
f. The value of the Apprentice Correct Card Count

For each instance of the game of Eleusis, there must be at least one version
of the 
web-page readable by text-only browsers.

The Wizard will also make this information available on request. 

8. Cellology and cards:
a. Open cells -  cell is open if there is a card in the cell directly above
it and there is a 
card in the cell directly to its left. Cards may only be played in open cells.
b. Wild Cards - Wild Cards can represent ny other card. When a Wild Card is
played 
the PoE playing it declares which card it represents. Once a Wild Card has been 
played, it retains the value it has been declared to represent for the rest
of the game.
9. Playing the game
There are three playing modes: Normal Play, Free Round, Death Round

Normal Play:
During Normal Play, each PoE may make at most one play per day. Each PoE must 
make a play within no more than a week from eir last play. If a PoE fails to
do so, e is 
dealt one card from the pack of remaining cards as penalty. For each
additional day 
the PoE makes no play, e is dealt one additional card from the pack of
remaining 
playing cards.

There are three possible plays: 
a. Playing a Single Card - the PoE selects a card e believes to be correct
for one of the 
open cells. Posts the Card, and the coordinates of the cell e where e wishes
to play 
that card.
b. Playing a Set - the PoE selects a Set of 2,3, or 4 cards e believes to be
correct for  
the same number of cells. The first card must be played in an open cell. The
second 
and the third cards may be played in closed cells, provided that, had the
previous 
cards in the Set  been correct, that cell would be open.
c. No Play - The PoE believes e has no correct cards for any of the open cells.

A PoE plays by posting eir play to the Wizard and to the all the PoEs in the
same 
instance of the game of Eleusis.
When there is no Apprentice, the Wizard must respond to each play within
four days. 
When there is an Apprentice, the Apprentice must post eir response to the
play within 
three days, the Wizard must respond to the Apprentice's reponse within five
days of 
the the PoEs play.

When there is no Apprentice the responses for each of the plays are as follows:
1. Playing a single card - If the card can be legally placed in the cell the
PoE 
specified, according to the secret rule, the Wizard posts the play along
with the 
response 'Correct', increments the Correct Card Counter by one, and  places
the card 
in the specified cell on the Grid. If the card cannot be legally played in
th specified 
cell, then the Wizard posts the move along with the response 'Incorrect',
adds the card 
to the list of incorrect cards for that cell, and gives the PoE who made the
play two 
cards from the remaining pack as a penalty.
2. Playing a Set - If each of the cards can be legally played, in the cells
specified by 
the PoE, in the order in which the cards were specified, then the Wizard
posts the play 
along with the response 'Correct', increments the Correct Card Count by 1
and adds 
the cards to the specified cells on the Grid. If any of the cards in the Set
cannot be 
legally played in their respective cells, then the  Wizard posts the play
with the 
response 'Incorrect', gives the PoE who made the play two cards for each
card in the 
Set, from the the remaining pack, as penalty, and adds the Set to the list
of illegal 
cards for all the cells specified in the Set. The Set must be listed exactly
as it was 
played, and clearly represented as a Set. The Wizard does not specify which 
individual cards were incorrect in the Set.
3. No Play- The PoE who declared 'No Play' shows eir hand to all the PoE. If
the 
Wizard finds a card that can be legally played in one of the open cells, e
places that 
card in the cell where it can be legally played, increments the Correct Card
Count by 
1, and gives player five more cards from the remaining pack, as penalty. 
If the Wizard can't find a card that can be legally played, according to the
secret rule, 
then the PoE returns all of eir cards to the remaining pack, and the Wizard
gives that 
PoE a new handm with four fewer cards than that PoE previously held.

When There is an Apprentice:

For plays 1,2 (Playing a Single Card, Playing a Set) the Apprentice takes
over the 
Wizard's role of responding to PoEs plays, declaring the cards 'Correct' or
'Incorrect'. 
The Wizard posts a response to the Apprentice's responses. If the Wizard
agrees with 
the Apprentice, e posts the play, the Apprentice's response and eir own
response 
'Approve'. If the Wizard disagrees with the Apprentice, e posts the play, the 
Apprentice's response, and eir own response 'Disapprove'.
If the Wizard's responds 'Approve', then play continues just as if there
were no 
Apprentice, except that instead of incrementing the Correct Card Count, the 
Apprentice Correct Card Count is incremented instead.. The Wizard updates
the Grid, 
and gives penalty cards if necessary. If the responds 'Disapprove', then the
Apprentice 
is fired as an Apprentice, becomes a PoE again, and may not become an
Apprentice 
again in that instance of the game of Eleusis.

for 3- Playing a Set.
The PoE shows eir hand to all the PoEs and the Wizard. The Apprentice declares 
whether e believes the PoE to be right or wrong. If e believes the
Apprentice to be 
wrong, e should also pick a card from the PoE's hand and declare where it
whould be 
placed on the Grid. If the Wizard Approves of the Apprentice's decision,
then play 
continues in the same way it would without an Apprentice, except that
instead of 
incementeing the Correct Card Count, the Apprentice Correct Card Count is 
incremented instead. If the Wizard disapproves, then the Apprentice is fired
and may 
not become an Apprentice again in that instance of the game of Eleusis. The
PoE who 
declared 'No Play'  receives no penalty.

Free Round:
A Free Round is different from Normal Play in the following ways:
1. Once a Free Round has been declared, it lasts for a week, or until all
PoEs have 
made two plays, whichever comes first.
2. A PoE may make at most two plays during a Free Round.
3. Plays in a Free Round, consist of declaring a card, without specifying an
open cell. 
If there exists an open cell where the card can be played, the Wizard
identifies the 
cell, posts it and declares the card to be Correct. If there exists no open
cells where 
the card can be played, then the Wizard declares the card to be Incorrect.
4. No Play in  a Free Round, means the PoE believes  none of eir cards be
played in 
any of the open cells.
5. A PoE who makes no play during a Free Round s given two cards s penalty.
6 . If there a Free Round is declared while there is an Apprentice, the
Apprentice 
plays as a regular PoE for the duration of the Free Round. When the Free
Round is 
over, the Apprentice resumes eir duties as Apprentice.

Death Round:
1. When a Death Round is declared, all PoEs, including the Apprentice, are
declared 
to be in Peril.
2. When a PoE makes a play which the Wizard declares to be incorrect, e is
expelled 
from the that instance of the game of Eleusis. When e leaves the game e pays
10A$ 
for each card e has in eir hand.
3. When a PoE makes a play which the Wizard declares to be correct, e is no
longer in 
Peril.
4. When an Apprentice gets a  response of Disapprove from the Wizard, while in 
Peril, e is expelled from the game. When e leaves the game e pays 10A$ for
each card 
e has in eir hand.

When to play each mode - Unless otherwise specified, Normal Play is conducted.
Every instance of the game of Eleusis starts with a Free Round.
When ever an Apprentice is fired a Free Round is declared.
When there is no apprentice, whenever the Correct Card Count reaches a number 
evenly divisible by 40, a Death Round is declared. 
When there is an Apprentice, whenever the Apprentice Correct Card Count
reaches a 
number evely divisible by 30, a Death Round is declared.

10. Becoming an Apprentice - 
If a PoE believes e knows the secret rule e may declare emself an Apprentice, 
provided the following conditions are true:
a. There does not exist an Apprentice already
b. The PoE has not been an Apprentice yet in that instance of the game of
Eleusis
c. The PoE has made a play during the four days preceding the anouncement

As long as a PoE is an Apprentice, e does play any cards from eir hand. An 
Apprentice continues to be an Apprentice as long as the Wizard approves of eir 
actions. When the Wizard disapproves, the Apprentice is fired, retains eir
hand, as it 
was before e became an Apprentice, with the addition of five cards dealt by the 
Wizard.
The Apprentice role is described in other sections of this rule.

11. End of an instance of a game of Eleusis
a. An instance of the game of Eleusis can end in on of two ways:
(i) One PoE runs out of cards
(ii) All PoEs have been expelled - with the possible exception of the
Apprentice, if 
there is an Apprentice

b. When an instance of the game of Eleusis ends the following things happen:
If the instance ended as a result of (i), then each of the PoEs who have cards 
remaining, except for the Apprentice, if there is one, pays 10A$ for each
card and eir 
hand and puts the money in the Wizard's Pot

[[
  here come the scoring rules, which I still have to figure out, should
look again at the 
original rules...
]]
When ever this rules calls for giving cards from the pack of remaining
cards, and 
there are not enough cards to give, then the PoE who was supposed to get the
penalty 
cards, pays 10A$ for each penalty card e was supposed to get, the money is
placed in 
the Wizard's Pot. 
[[This is the same e would have had to pay if e held those cards later]]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:02:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1090

Proposal 1090 - Wed Aug 07 15:02:34 EDT 1996
Reservoir Poodles
Bascule  (Matt Black)

This proposal will create a rule with the following text:

1. The players of Ackanomic are greedy criminal types.

2. If the average currency owned by the active players has fallen
below A$500, or that the total number of Ackadollars owned by the
active players is below A$5000, then any player may alert the
Financier (hereafter referred to as Mr. Big) to this fact. Mr. Big
is then duty bound to announce that the active players of Ackanomic
(hereafter referred to as the mobsters) will "go to work". 

3. Once Mr. Big has declared that the mobsters will go to work, it
is the duty of the Registrar (hereafter referred to as Joe) to
allocate a cover name to each mobster in a single public message. The
time of distribution of the cover names is also the start time of the
job. For the duration of the job, which lasts a week, the mobsters
scheme and plan a heinous crime, and to protect their anonymity must
use their cover names instead of their normal names.

4. Cover names:

The Financier's cover name is Mr. Big
The Registrar's cover name is Joe

Up to six more mobsters are assigned a cover name from the following 
list, then Joe must assign further players covernames of the type Mr. 
<colour>, where <colour> is a colour, except that Mr. Black is not an 
option, because all the mobsters would fight to be called Mr. Black. 
Mr. Purple is not an option either, because Mr. Purple is on a job 
somewhere else.

Mr. White
Mr. Brown
Mr. Blue
Mr. Orange
Mr. Pink
Mr. Blond

If Mr. Big and Joe are the same mobster, that mobster may choose 
either cover name, or both, or switch between them.

5. After the end of the job, all mobsters recieve A$100 from the
treasury, if any one or more mobsters publically posts a description
of a roberry, blackmailing or other nefarious activity within 3 days
of the conclusion of the job. Mobsters who post such a description
recieve an additional A$50 for their hard work. 

6. Other stuff:

A. This rule claims precedence over any mutable rule referring to
names. A player's official Ackanomic name shall be deemed to be his
cover name until the duration of the job, when that player assumes
the name they had immediately before the posting of cover names. No
mobster may change their name during the job. If a player joins the
game or returns from vacation during a job, they are not considered
to be a mobster and do not use a cover name. 

B. After the conclusion of the job, all records of the mobsters
names that were made during the job will be altered from the form
<cover name> to that of the form <cover name> (<real name>). [For
instance, ThinMan was issued the cover name "Mr. Big" at the start of
the job. At the end of the job, any proposals or CFJs submitted as
"Mr. Big" will be altered so that the record says "Mr. Big
(ThinMan)".]

C. Once this rule has been invoked, it may not be invoked again
until a four week period has elapsed from the end of the previous
job. This subsection has precedence over section 2. above.

D. During the job, quotes from the film "Reservoir Dogs" or any other
film about crime are considered good form. Any player who posts a
message that approximates the song "Little Green Bag"  [e.g. "der,
der der, der der, der der, der der DER..." etc.] is especially to be
congratulated. 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:02:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1091

Proposal 1091 - Wed Aug 07 15:02:52 EDT 1996
Bothering the Judges
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[This is something I left out by mistake when I removed the appeal 
penalty in R 569; the penalty for being frivilous went from 25 to 20
in toto. I'd like to put it back the way it was originally.]}}

Amend R 569 to replace the sentence which reads:

"If the Court agrees with the original verdict, then the player who lodged
the appeal shall be fined 20 points for frivolously bothering the Judges."

with:

"If the Court agrees with the original verdict, then the player who
lodged the appeal shall be fined 25 points for frivolously bothering the
Judges."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Aug 96 15:03:05 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1092

Proposal 1092 - Wed Aug 07 15:03:04 EDT 1996
Scientific Sanity
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 594, "Blueprints", to change section (ii) to read in full:

      "(ii) When a Blueprint is judged to be in conflict with one or more 
Rules, the Blueprint is destroyed, as are any extant Gadgets made from 
that Blueprint.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #161
*******************************