Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #158
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Monday, August 5 1996        Volume 01 : Number 158

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 13:27:05 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: New Gadget 

I'm just finishing up The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much,
Really.  I need to tighten a couple of screws, throw on a final coat of
paint, and get her all shined up.  You'd be amazed how hard that is to do
with a shape shifting gadget.  Just when you think it's all good and shiny,
it changes shape and there are surfaces that you didn't even know existed
that need shinging too.

Anyhow, I imagine very shortly the speaker will commence an auction for
this wonderful new gadget.  Who's going to be the first to get their named
changed?

snowgod
Alpha testing the better idiot

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 17:53:38 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1076

this is not a name wrote:
> 
> >Amend rule 1033, "Bronze Torch", by adding a new paragraph to the end of the
> >rule which says:
> >  "Any time a player who is not eligible to receive a Bronze Torch owns a
> >   Bronze Torch, that Bronze Torch is destroyed."
> 
> This could be dangerous. Perhaps rephrase it as "not eligible to have
> received..." because in a scenario when a player receives a BT, e is not
> eligible to receive another, as far as I know, and thus the BT would be
> automatically taken away.

I urge retraction of this proposal, or at least voting NO to prevent 
unnessary verbaige from entering the rules.  

Bronze Torches are blanket protected, therefore no one may instantiate 
them as I have.  In my case, I have the 15 verdicts (unless 252 is
appealed) to have earned one anyway.  That is why I chose this case to
demonstrate the loophole, which mr cwm is working on a fix for in the
general case.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 01:06:46 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Party Chess Pieces 

I have resubmitted the proposals for PartyChessPieceDef rules as seperate
proposals, including an additional one that was not in the original multi
rule proposal. This way, the playaers who voted no because they didn't like
some of the pieces, can vote selectively now. By that time we should have
the Party Chess situation resolved. I will continue to submit such proposals
during the coming days, with the intent of ending up with enough variety to
make the game interesting. 
A new RFC for Law of Party Gravity is coming up, however, whatever the
reaction, I will not submit it as a proposal before Party Chess is
stabilised and playable.

Most of the pieces are pretty standard, with distance limitations.
Non-standard pieces include il-Nabi, Copycat, and Echo. The latter two
whould prove interesting, 
The Copycay is interesting because of its capture. It can capture a piece,
using the captured piece legal capture move.
The legal move or an Echo is identical to the legal move of the friendly
piece played ont he previous round, unless it was a Pass or a Placement. In
some situation, a well placed Echo can become very powerful.However, due to
its erratic nature, I aassigned it a medium material value.

il-Nabi is the result of another curious story. I find it a fascinating
piece to play with.
Niccolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 18:18:17 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Gadget

Phil Ackley wrote: (quote reproduced below)

By R 1023, the Assistant Tabulator is the Auctioneer for this Gadget.
The Blueprint can be gotten from the Inventor or the web page. 

The Auction will end in three days.  I note that R 1023 requires players
to have sufficient currency for any bids they submit.  Due to the contract
situation, there may be threads where people are poor.  I suppose we
will sort out which thread collapses later, in at least one thread,
people have money.  The Financier will sort it out later :)

Please put the word "Bid" in the subject line. Thanks.

The auction must be public, which means the current high bid must be
made public from time to time.  I plan to set up a web page with all 
"Current Event" stuff, and will publish the high bid here.  I will 
announce the URL later tonight.  If anyone does not have web access, and
wants to be notified of the current high bid, please let me know. 

Chief Cheese
 
> I'm just finishing up The Really Big Blue Thing That Doesn't Do Too Much,
> Really.  I need to tighten a couple of screws, throw on a final coat of
> paint, and get her all shined up.  You'd be amazed how hard that is to do
> with a shape shifting gadget.  Just when you think it's all good and shiny,
> it changes shape and there are surfaces that you didn't even know existed
> that need shinging too.
> 
> Anyhow, I imagine very shortly the speaker will commence an auction for
> this wonderful new gadget.  Who's going to be the first to get their named
> changed?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 17:18:12 cst
From: [email-masked] (Ed Graham) 
Subject: Acka: Re:  Acka: CFCJ 111 (Habeous Corpus) 

On Monday,  5 Aug 96,  ThinMan Wrote (in part):

I advise Habeous Corpus that CFJ 255 has been judged false (pending
possible appeal).  As such, it is now part of game custom that must
be considered by the judge of CFCJ 111.  In my opinion, the verdict of
CFJ 255 requires that CFCJ 111 be judged false as well.

Thanks for the confirmation.  I had already sent Malenkai my judgement
before receiving the latest Digests,  and, through independant research, 
found CFCJ111 FALSE.  If CFJ 255 has something I missed,  I may
incorperate it into my CFJ on  Rule 712 (see CFCJ111 when released); 
unless of course,  CFJ 255 WAS my CFJ on R712;-)

Habeous Corpus
<Definition of elephant:  a mouse built to government specifications. -
R.A. Heinlein>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:28:16 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Campaign Promises (tm)

> I heartily endorse snowgod for President. Sounds like fun. :)
> 
> --      Mike Epstein            
>       [email-masked]          Not a single byte of Microsoft software
>   *                      *      was used to create this message.
> http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

As Swinger for the FUN party I endorse snowgod as the Swinger for
the FUN party's candidate for President.  

Bascule
Swinger for FUN
Quite a lot of bytes of Microsoft software was used to create this 
message
Owner of a Bronze Torch (it's the best thing I own. I can use it to 
bash mr cwm over the head whenever he disagrees with me)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 14:29:37 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: SVH Admiration? 

Has Simon Marty Harriman posted a thank you to his Mad Hatter and a SVH
admiration to the public forum yet?  It seems that game custom (or possibly
a rule (does speed just apply to officers?) gives him three days drom the
time he returns to do so.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 18:31:06 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 255 Verdict

CF 255 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts.

Call For Judgement 255
Subject: Paying the Acting Gaoler
Initiator: snowgod
Judge: ThinMan (selected Aug 02, 1996, 19:10h New York Time)

Statement:

The acting Gaoler must be paid for his services.

snowgod's Reasoning

>From R609: The Rules may specify conditions under which a Player   servesin an Office in an "Acting" capacity.  In such   a case, the Player is
responsible for performing all   of the Duties without receiving any of the
Privileges   of the Office.

R712/3 section (iv) (Gaoler) states that The Privileges are:

a) To receive NO salary.
b) To be able to accept bribes of currency from players in the Gaol.

Since it is a privlidge of the Gaoler to "recieve NO salary" and acting
officers are not entitled to the privlidges of office, any player who
serves as acting gaoler must be paid.  How much he should be paid is a
matter for another CFJ.

ThinMan's Reasoning:

At first glance, it would appear that snowgod is correct -- the acting
Gaoler may not receive no salary, for that is a privilege of the
Gaoler.

What salary, however, should be paid to the acting Gaoler?  The
salaries for functional officers are defined in Rule 612, but Rule 712
claims precedence over rule 612.  Moreover, receipt of no salary
does not seem to meet the definition of "privilege" established by
R 609.  Rule 609 has precedence over Rule 712, so it is possible
that receiving no salary is not a privilege of the Gaoler after all.

The most consistent interpretation that I can see is that R 712/3
section (iv) (a) does not define a privilege per se, but rather it
redefines a parameter of the salary privilege of functional officers.
That is, section (iv) (a) is equivalent to "the salary of the Gaoler
is zero."  This makes the provision consistent with the definition of
"privilege" in R 609 while preserving the apparent intent of the
clause and clarifying the salary to be received by the Gaoler.

This Court chooses to not distinguish between making a payment of
zero and making no payment at all, so it no longer matters whether
or not the salary is a privilege of the Gaoler.

ThinMan's Judgement:

I find the statement submitted for judgement FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 18:33:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 247 Verdict

CFJ 247 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 247
Subject: Is This a Public Message by Me?
Initiator: Malenkai
    Judge: mr cwm (selected Jul 31, 1996, 21:04h New York Time)

Statement:

The witchhunt called on July 30, 1996, against /dev/joe was illegal.

Malenkai's reasoning:

At least one of the conditions required to call a witchhunt were met:

>From R 729:

> If, in a public message, a player refers to the Earth being round, or
> implies that this may be the case, any other player may call for a
> Witchhunt, by publically posting that they are doing so.

The witchhunt was called in response to the following post by the
Promoter to the public forum:

>Proposal 1056 - Tue Jul 30 12:44:51 EDT 1996
>I Should Be Allowed to Think
>/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

>Repeal rule 729, "Ackanomic Middle Ages".

"If, in a public message, a player refers..."

The obvious rendering of this is that the player must have made the post
themselves, and it must be their own words and expression.  Under this
common sense rendering, this post applies not as a public message by
/dev/joe or by Wayne.  I would like the Judge to clarify, once and for
all, this public message business, preferably along my obvious
translation :)

I personally have no opinion as to whether or not /dev/joe is a heretic,
but I insist that the rules be followed.

mr cwm's Reasoning:

Referring to the reasoning of CFCJ 107 (which I am well aware is partly my
own), we see that a player may make a reference or implication in a
public message, even though they are not the originator of the message, if
they are or should be aware that their reference or implication will be
reported in a public message, even if it is not quoted directly.   There
are many ways a player may make reference or implication in a public
message, without posting the message themself.  Newspaper interviews come
to mind, and voting results were dealt with in CFCJ 107.  Proposals fit
into this scheme - although the players do not post proposals themselves,
they should be aware that the references and implications within them will
be posted publicly.

Thus, the conditions required for the legal call for a witchhunt were
fulfilled in this case, prompting a decision of FALSE.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 18:37:23 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFCJ 111 Verdict

CFCJ 111 has been judged FALSE.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Criminal Judgement 111
  Subject:  Failing to pay the Gaoler
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  Habeous Corpus (selected Mon, Aug 02, 1996, 19:24 New York Time)

Statement:

Player ThinMan has violated R101

snowgod's Reasoning:

ThinMan, acting in his capacity as Financier has transferred no salary to
this is not a name's account in compensation for his duties as acting
gaoler. ThinMan has violated rule 609 section iv (per rule 712 (gaoler,
creation of), and in doing so, violated R101.

R609 section iv reads:

(iv)  Acting Officers:

              The Rules may specify conditions under which a Player
              serves in an Office in an "Acting" capacity.  In such
              a case, the Player is responsible for performing all
              of the Duties without receiving any of the Privileges
              of the Office.  For any given Seat, there can be an
              "Acting" Officer only if the Seat is vacant.penalty:

Suggested Penalty:

A SENTENCE in the Gaol of 5 days and a FINE of A$20

Habeous Corpus' reasoning:

While snowgodmade a convincing argument quoting Rule 609 (and accurately,
 too);  e overlooked Rule 612 which states,  in part:

Rule 612/4 (Mutable)
Functional Offices, Commonalities
pTang1001001sos (Mark Nau)

This rule takes precedence over rule 609.

    The following applies to all Functional Offices:

    (ii)   As a Privilege of Office, each Player holding at least
           one Functional Office shall receive a weekly salary
           equal to the maximum of:
           a) 3 units plus 1 unit for every Office held.
           b) The salary that the Player would be eligible to
              receive if he held no Functional Offices.

Since Rule 712 does not claim precedence over Rule 612 or 609,  by Rule
210,  Rule 612 (ii) means that the Gaoler DOES receive a "salary".  It
does not state how much,  it may even equal A$0.00,  but e does receive a
salary.

Since the Gaoler receives a salary (to be negotiated soon,  I'm sure),
ThinMan could not have violated Rule 101 by NOT paying a salary to this
is not a name.

[I seem to remember somewhere that this type of conflict also makes Rule
Void and wholly without effect,  but I'm not sure with all the "fixes"
that I haven't quite caught up with.  I will CFJ this just to make sure.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 00:09:02 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1075

> Proposal 1075 - Mon Aug 05 11:45:57 EDT 1996
> Syzygy (or, I want a Parade)
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> Any Gnome Buddy, who is wearing a Prosthetic Forehead, and has a Blue
> Cross, Gold Stripe, Silver Stripe, Chartreuse Goose Egg, Bronze Torch,
> Magic Potato, Great Trombone of Ackanomia, and is Enlightened and Silly,
> wins the cycle the instant he or she chews the Gumball in accordance with
> the rules.

This proposal would make winning too easy 

:)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 19:16:15 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 254 (Habeous Corpus)

De'ghew declined.

Habeous Corpus has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days
to respond.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 254
  Subject: Gaolgod
Initiator: snowgod
    Judge: De'ghew (declined to judge)
2nd Judge: Habeous Corpus (selected Aug 05, 1996, 19:17h New York Time)

Statement:

snowgod was released fromthe Gaol as soon as the Supreme Court overturned
CFCJ 107

snowgod's reasoning:

[none - CotC]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 19:19:13 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 256 (Niccolo Flychuck)

De'ghew declined.

Niccolo Flychuck has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days
to respond.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 256
  Subject: Contractual Paradox
Initiator: ThinMan
    Judge: De'ghew (declined)
2nd Judge: Niccolo Flychuck (selected Aug 05, 1996, 19:20h New York Time)

Statement:

The legality of the File Clerk demanding a filing fee from two players
who form a contract whose only provision is that they transfer a Blue Cross
between themselves cannot be determined with finality.

Reasoning:

All Ackanomic actions are protected unless otherwise specified in the Rules,
so the File Clerk may only legally demand filing fees if the Rules
specifically so allow.  The rules only allow such action when players form
an Enforceable Contract (R607).  The legality of the File Clerk demanding a
filing fee from players who form a contract depends, therefore, on whether
or not the contract is Enforceable.

According to R514,
>    (ii) A Contract is Enforceable iff the behaviours it regulates are
>    among the following list:
>
>    a) The transfer of currency from Player to Player
>    b) A vote of YES or NO on one or more Proposals by Player
>    c) The transfer of an Ackanomic entity

A Blue Cross is an Ackanomic entity, so a contract whose only provision is
that one player transfer a Blue Cross to the other is Enforceable according
to R 514, section (ii)(c).

However, R514 also says:
>    (iii) A Contract is not Enforceable if any behaviour it regulates
>    violates any of the rules.

R 549 forbids the transfer of Blue Crosses between players, so a contract
containing a provision that one player transfer a Blue Cross to another
player is not Enforceable according to R 514, section (iii).

R 514 does not indicate that section (ii) superceeds section (iii), nor
that section (iii) superceeds section (ii), so it cannot be determined
with finality whether or not the contract described is Enforceable.

Since it cannot be determined with finality whether or not the contract
is Enforcable, it cannot be determined with finality whether or not it
is legal for the File Clerk to demand a filing fee from players who form
such a contract.

If this CFJ is judged TRUE, then its initiator (ThinMan) shall win the
game according to rule 219.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 19:22:25 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 110 (Robin Hood)

De'ghew declined.

Robin Hood has been selected to judge the following, and has
3 days to accept or decline the appointment. Would the Financier please
note snowgod's A$20 Court Fee, if he has not done so already.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Criminal Judgement 110
  Subject:  Unlawful non-receipt of Salary
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  De'ghew (declined)
2nd Judge:  Robin Hood (selected Mon, Aug 05, 1996, 19:23 New York Time)

Statement:

Player this is not a name has violated R101

snowgod's Reasoning:

By recieving no salary for his duties as acting gaoler, this is not a name
has violated rule 609 section iv (per rule 712 (gaoler, creation of), and
in doing so, violated R101.

R609 section iv reads:

(iv)  Acting Officers:

              The Rules may specify conditions under which a Player
              serves in an Office in an "Acting" capacity.  In such
              a case, the Player is responsible for performing all
              of the Duties without receiving any of the Privileges
              of the Office.  For any given Seat, there can be an
              "Acting" Officer only if the Seat is vacant.penalty:

Suggested Penalty:

A SENTENCE in the Gaol of 7 days.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 19:45:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 251 Verdict

CFJ 251 has been judged TRUE.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 251
Subject: Contracts II
Initiator: ThinMan
Judge: Bascule (selected Aug 02, 1996, 18:50h New York Time)

Statement:

The contract between /dev/joe and this is not a name that /dev/joe announced
on Wed, 31 Jul 1996 no longer exists.

ThinMan's Reasoning:

I shall argue that the contract contains one or more provisions that are
not on listed in R514, section (ii).  If this is the case, then by R 514
the contract was not ever enforceable.  Again by R 514, non-enforceable
contracts are immediately destroyed.  Thus the contract in question was
destroyed as soon as it was formed.

I quote the contract:
>"At all times until 00:00 EDT September 1, 1996, all A$ held by players
>other than this is not a name and /dev/joe are transferred to this is not
>a name and /dev/joe (split evenly between them; in the case of an odd
>amount of A$, the first odd A$ transferred by this contract goes to
>/dev/joe, the next to this is not a name, and so on, alternating).  On all
>proposals where /dev/joe and this is not a name vote the same way, all
>other players are required to vote that way also."

And R 514, section (ii):
>    (ii) A Contract is Enforceable iff the behaviours it regulates are
>    among the following list:
>
>    a) The transfer of currency from Player to Player
>    b) A vote of YES or NO on one or more Proposals by Player
>    c) The transfer of an Ackanomic entity

The key word here is "regulates."  The contract seeks to cause or perform,
rather than regulate, several currency transfers.  The distinction is
fine, but important.  It would be regulation if the contract said "Each
player
other than /dev/joe and this is not a name must transfer [etc.]."  No rule
assigns contracts any authority to directly cause currency transfers; the
best
that they are allowed to do is to attempt to regulate such behavior.
Moreover, it seems to me that the only effects that such attempts regulation
has is to produce penalties for certain violations.

Bascule's Reasoning:

ThinMan's reasoning is fine. I wonder if the contract ever existed
though.

>From R514:

> The Contract is considered to exist at such time as the appropriate
> Officer has received identical copies of the proposed Contract from
> each Player involved along with each Player's consent to abide by the
> Contract.

from the contract:

> all A$ held by players other than this is not a name and /dev/joe

As one of the players who is not this is not a name or /dev/joe, I
could be said to be involved in the contract, and I have no
recollection of sending a copy of the contract to the File Clerk
along with consent to abide by it.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 18:51:51 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic Digest V1 #156 

>
>Ackanomic Digest        Monday, August 5 1996        Volume 01 : Number 156
>
>
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 21:34:15 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
>Subject: Acka: Official: Mad Hatters
>
>As of August 1, 23:50 EDT, these players had been on vacation for
>14 days:
>
>Calvin N Hobbes
>Mellon
>Niccolo Flychuck
>Pascal
>Techno
>
>(NF has returned, but he still met the requirements of the SVH rule.)
>
>These Mad Hatters are now chosen, who each have 3 days to post SVH designs:
>
> ..
> .. 
> ..
>for Pascal: snowgod

Ohhhh nooooo.... ;)
Better be good, man.
- ---Pascal

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 19:57:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 254 (Habeous Corpus)

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> Call For Judgement 254
> 
> Statement:
> 
> snowgod was released fromthe Gaol as soon as the Supreme Court overturned
> CFCJ 107

I verdict of FALSE is indicated.  The Gaoler did not release snowgod
at that time, nor did the President pardon him at the time in question.

No other procedure is explicity defined in the Rules to release a player
from Gaol, and the Gaol is protected.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 19:57:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 254 (Habeous Corpus)

Malenkai wrote:
> 
> Call For Judgement 254
> 
> Statement:
> 
> snowgod was released fromthe Gaol as soon as the Supreme Court overturned
> CFCJ 107

I verdict of FALSE is indicated.  The Gaoler did not release snowgod
at that time, nor did the President pardon him at the time in question.

No other procedure is explicity defined in the Rules to release a player
from Gaol, and the Gaol is protected.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:48:23 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 254 (Habeous Corpus)

At 7:57 PM 8/5/96, Malenkai wrote:
>Malenkai wrote:
>>
>> Call For Judgement 254
>>
>> Statement:
>>
>> snowgod was released fromthe Gaol as soon as the Supreme Court overturned
>> CFCJ 107
>
>I verdict of FALSE is indicated.  The Gaoler did not release snowgod
>at that time, nor did the President pardon him at the time in question.
>
>No other procedure is explicity defined in the Rules to release a player
>from Gaol, and the Gaol is protected.
>
>Malenkai

Maenkai is probably correct.  The only thing I can think of that would make
his reasoning incorrect is if the fact that the supreme court overturned
the verdict meant that I was never thrown in the Gaol in the first place.

snowgod

Ackanomic Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Running for President!
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (4 times!) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 16:50:56 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic Digest V1 #156

>>These Mad Hatters are now chosen, who each have 3 days to post SVH designs:
>>
>> ..
>> ..
>> ..
>>for Pascal: snowgod
>
>Ohhhh nooooo.... ;)
>Better be good, man.
>---Pascal

I think your hat is quite lovely.  You will have to be careful, however,
not to hit you hat's feet on the doorfram when walking through a low
doorway.

snowgod
almost done with the better idiot (tm)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:26:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1078

Proposal 1078 - Mon Aug 05 22:26:27 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. il-Nabi is represented by the ASCII character M
2. il-Nabi has one of the following moves:
  (a)3 squares diagonally, and one square either horizontally, or
vertically, provided all the squares it passes through are unoccupied, the
move must be made in that order.
  (b) If, at any given direction, SQ1 is occupied, then il-Nabi may skip
over that piece to SQ2.
  (c) if, at any given direction, SQ3 is occupied, and SQ2,is unoccupied,
then il-Nabi may skip to SQ4. 
     For this move to be legal, it does not matter whether or not SQ1 is
occupied.
3. il-Nabi can legally capture according to 2.(a).  It cannot capture using
the moves in 2(b), 2(c)
4. il-Nabi's material value is 6
5. The proper pronunciation of il-Nabi, is with an an emphasis of the 'Na',
which is pronounced the same as in 'nun', minus the last '-n'.
6. il-Nabi is Arabic for 'the Prophet', and is named in honor of Mohammed,
who made a large contribution to the game of Party Chess"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:26:52 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1079

Proposal 1079 - Mon Aug 05 22:26:52 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Rook
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

"1. A Rook is represented by the ASCII character R.
2.A rook can move either vertically, orhorizontally, up to a maximum
distance of 10, provided all  the squares between the current square, and
the destination square are unoccupied.
3. A Rook's material value is 9"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:27:21 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1080

Proposal 1080 - Mon Aug 05 22:27:21 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Camel
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A Camel is respresented by the ASCII chracter C.
2.  A Camel may move either : (a)3 squares vertically and 1 square
horizontally, or (b)3 squares horizontally, and 1 square vertically. 
3. A Camel can skip over any pieces that occupy any squares between the
current square and the desstination square"
4. A Camel's material value is 5

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:27:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1081

Proposal 1081 - Mon Aug 05 22:27:57 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Knight
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A Knight is respresented by the ASCII chracter N.
2.  A Knight may move either : (a)2 squares vertically and 1 square
horizontally, or (b)2 squares horizontally, and 1 square vertically. 
3. A Knight can skip over any pieces that occupy any squares between the
current square and the desstination square.
4. A Knight's material value is 4

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:28:23 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1082

Proposal 1082 - Mon Aug 05 22:28:23 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Bishop
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1.A Bishop is represented by the ASCII character B 
2. A Bishop can in a diagonal direction in a single straight line, up to a
maximum distance of 10 ,
provided all the squares between the cuurent square and the destination
square are unoccupied.
3. A Bishop's material value is 6

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:28:59 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1083

Proposal 1083 - Mon Aug 05 22:28:59 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Pawn
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A pawn is represented by the ASCII character p .
2. A pawn can move exactly one square either horizontally, or verically,
provided that the distance between the quare the pawn occupied, and the
square j10, does not increase, where distance is defined as the larger of
dR, and dC
3. A pawn can capture, only by moving diagonally, a distance of one square,
into a square occupied by an opponent's piece,  provided that the distance
between the quare the pawn occupied, and the square j10, does not increase,
where distance is defined as the larger of dR, and dC
4. a pawn is a promotable piece. When a pawn reaches one the following
squares: j10,j11,k10,k11, it is immdiately promoted. It can be promoted to
any legal PartyChessPiece the chosen by the Swinger.
5. A pawn can only be Placed on one of the columns a,b,s,t ; and on one of
the rows 1,2,19,20
6. A pawns's material value is 1

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:29:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1084

Proposal 1084 - Mon Aug 05 22:29:36 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Queen
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A Queen is represented by the ASCII character Q.
2. A Queen can move either as a Rook, or as a Bishop
3. A Queen's material value is 12

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:30:10 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1085

Proposal 1085 - Mon Aug 05 22:30:10 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece CopyCat
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. A CopyCat is reprsened by the ASCII character O
2. A CopyCat can move either 3 or 5 squares in any given direction, provided
that all the squares between the current square, and the destination square
are unoccupied. 
3. A CopyCat captures a piece only according to the rules by which the
captured piece can capture.
for example - a CopyCat can capture a Rook, using a Rook's move, it can
capture a Knight using a Knight's move. etc.. et."
4. A CopyCat's material value is 7

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:30:35 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1086

Proposal 1086 - Mon Aug 05 22:30:35 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Echo
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. An Echo is represented by ASCII character E.
2. The legal move for an Echo depends on the play made by the Swinger
controlling the Echo in the previous round.
 a. If the play in the previous round was either Pass or Placement, then
there is no legal move for an Echo.
 b. If the play in the previous round was either Move or Capture, then the
legal move of an Echo is identical to the legal move of the friendly piece
that either Moved, or Captured in the previous round
3. If the Swinger controlling the Echo played in either a Special D-turn, or
a Special DD-Turn after eir normal play in the previous round, then the
legal move for an Echo is identical to the move of the friendly piece that
either Moved or Captured, during the Special D-Turn, or Special DD-turn.
This section takes precedence over section 2 of this rule
4. An Echo's material value is 7

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:31:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1087

Proposal 1087 - Mon Aug 05 22:31:14 EDT 1996
Creation of PartyChessPiece Jester
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1.A Jester is represented by the ASCII character J
2. A Jester can move exactly two squares in any given direction. It may skip
any piece that occupies the intervening square, between the Jester's  current
square and the Jester's destination square.
3. A Jester's material value is 3

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 22:31:35 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1088

Proposal 1088 - Mon Aug 05 22:31:35 EDT 1996
Loophole-Free Contracts Rewrite
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Create a new rule entitled "Sorry", which reads in full:

{{All extant contracts are hereby destroyed. This has precedence over
all other mutable rules.}}
- ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Repeal R 514, "Contracts"
Repeal R 551, "Contracts, Preventing Abuse"
Repeal R 607, "File Clerk, Creation of:"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 1996 23:14:56 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

1) The nomination for the vacant senate seat is over.  The nominees
are:
	Habeous Corpus
	this is not a name

Thus we will have an election. Votes will be taken for 3 days at
[email-masked].  Good luck to the candidates!

Please put the word "senate" in your subject line on these votes.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

2) The bidding for the blue thing has started. The current high bid
in the thread where everyone has money is:
	this is not a name: A$100.

In the thread where ThinMan and I have all of tinan's money, the current
high bid is:
	ThinMan: A$25.

I have not analyzed the CFJ results to see if that thread has collapsed.
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) URLs

As indicated earlier, I have started a "current events" page. This 
will list all the things I'm responsible for (elections, witchhunts,
auctions) that are in progress, and the end date.  I will post the
current high bid in auctions here only.  Note that I cannot update this
every 5 minutes, so as the bidding gets fast and furious for the blue
thing at the end of the period, the bid shown there may not be high (this
is the way Mohammed did it). The URL is:

http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/ackace.htm

Also, as snowgod mentioned, the Internomic URL is at

http://www.itw.com/~malenkai/zhome.htm

I encourage you to check out the proposals on snowgod's page or there,
and let snowgod know how you want snowgod to vote for Acka in Internomic.

Is there a place the Web-Harfer could put these 2 links on the Acka
page?

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

4) The CotC page has been updated with the latest round of CFJ info.

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

5) Vote YES for Chartreuse Goose and Syzygy.  I can't believe I missed
being the Parade proposal :(

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 23:05:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Appealing CFJ 251

I'm appealing CFJ 251.

ThinMan's argument rests on the belief that the word "regulate", as used
in R514 (ii), only means "restrict" or "require", and specifically that
it cannot mean "cause" or "perform".  However, CFJ 113 and numerous other
CFJs have established the game custom that a rule which causes or performs
some action can be said to regulate that action, as the word "regulate"
is used in Rule 115.

The judge presented only one other possible argument, which has already
been specifically invalidated by CFJ 249.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 00:07:22 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1078

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1078 - Mon Aug 05 22:26:27 EDT 1996
> Creation of PartyChessPiece
> Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)
> 

Would not the rule created by this proposal have the same problem
as previously; ie it is ambigious as to whether it is a PCPD rule?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 96 0:33:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1089

Proposal 1089 - Tue Aug 06 00:33:56 EDT 1996
Publically Knowable
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[The proposal is complicated, but I believe it will simplify the game.
The idea here is that proposals are applied and score
changes are effective the time of the post announcing them.  So there is
none of this pseudo thread splitting where we have to wonder if P 1043
passed.  It has no effect until Wayne distributes it, and no pseudo-
retrocative effect.  Also score changes basically happen in the order
of the email that announces the effect that generated the change.

The idea is simple, but the implementation is complex.  I, along with
input from /dev/joe, spent alot of time on it, so if you're going to
vote no, please indicate why from the RFC and I'll try to fix it.

To /dev/joe, I made it work like R 793 does, or at least tried :)

I added one thing from the final RFC version.  That was to make sure the
Tabulator maintained temporal order of proposal result reporting.]}}

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Create a new rule entitled "I'd never be able to sort it out", which reads
in full:

No player shall receive any points based on the way they voted for
the proposal which created this rule as specified by R 207. The author
of the proposal that created this rule shall gain no points by the
application of R 207.

If, however, any score changes happened as a result of the proposal
which created this rule before the rule first takes effect, then
equal but opposite score changes to all such score changes are applied
to all players who received such changes.

This rule has precedence over all other mutable rules. This rule shall
repeal itself 1 week after it is adopted.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmute R 106 to Mutable.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 106, "When Proposals Can Take Effect" to read, in full:

      An accepted rule change is applied, or accepted new rules take
effect, at the time their tabulated voting results are officially
reported. This is considered the "when a rule change is applied", or
"time of application".

      No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a time
before the generation of the effect. A rule change may not have any
effects retroactive to before the time of its application.

      A statement verified by judgement, however, applies retroactively to
any past game situation it may concern.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmute R 106 to Immutable.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 414, "The Office of the Tabulator" replace section (c) under
"Duties of the Tabulator", to read in full:

"(c) to report the acceptance or rejection of each proposal. Proposal
results must be reported in the time order in which their voting 
periods ended."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 491 "What Is A Rule Change?, to replace the second and
third paragraphs with the following text"

      "When a valid rule change is takes effect, at its time of
application, the effect described by the rule change happens. The
adoption of an invalid rule change has no effect.

      A proposal is any collection of text designated as a proposal,
submitted in the proper manner. If a proposal is accepted, any rule
changes in the proposal are applied, one at a time, in the order in which
they appear."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 207 "Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Period Ends" to make
the following changes numbered 1 thru 4:

1) Change its title to "Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Results are
Reported"

2) Add the following text before the current text:

"All the following scoring changes are applied at the time the Proposal's
tabulated voting results are officially reported, unless the new rule or
rule change calls for an instantaneous change to 1 or more players' score,
in which case the score changes detailed in this rule are applied an
infintesimal amount of time after those effects are applied."

If more than one Proposal's tabulated voting results are officially
reported at the same time, the scoring changes are applied in numerical
order of the Proposals, with an infintesimal amount of time separating
each application."

3) Replace all occurrences of the word "When" with the word "If".

4) Add the following sections at the end of the current text:

"If a proposal is accepted which contains less than five lines of text
 in the body of the proposal (excluding whitespace and furniture), the
 player who submitted it is awarded 5 extra points."

{{[this is moving R 379 in, it will be easier]}}

"All of these score changes are deemed to occur simultaneously per
proposal with respect to each player."
 
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal Rule 379, "Short is Good".

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create a new rule entitled "When Score Changes Take Effect", reading
in full:

Score changes take effect as specified below, depending on the category
of the score change.  If the category cannot be determined for some
reason, the score change is deemed to take effect when it is publically
knowable.

1) Score Changes Managed by Officers

  a) All score changes take effect when the officer in charge of managing or
reporting on an activity which could produce a score change, announces the
effect which results in the score change.

  b) [For example, if a player fails to deliver judgement in a certain
time, the penalty for that failure is not scored until the officer
responsible for managing and reporting CFJs announces this fact.
Another example is polls taken where the result of the poll dictates
a scoring change. That change occurs when the results of the poll are
publically released.]

  c) Players, acting in their capacity as officers, must announce all score
changes they are responsible for notification of in the order which they
are made aware the occurrance. They must do so in a timely manner.

  d) The Scorekeeper is not considered an office for the purpose of this
section (1). This section (1), defers precedence to R 207.

  e) [Examples of current rules in this category are: 213, 400, 588,
593 (-20), 613, 729 (-10), 730 (-12, -3), 761 (-10 only), 937.]

2) Score Changes Triggered by Player Actions and Public Announcements
 
  a) If a score change is due to some other effect, such as the result of a
public posting, proposal retraction, or CFCJ penalty, etc, the score
change is said to occur at the time of the public post.

  b) [Examples of current rules in this category are: 423, 569, 578,
593 (-5 only), 730 (+6 only).]

3) Rule Based Triggered or Mandated Score Changes

  a) If the score change is due to an event occurring (such as a player
reaching a certain score, or the adoption of a proposal), this score
change is said to occur an infintesimal amount of time after it is
possible for the public to be aware of the event occurring.

  b) [For example, if there exists a trigger whereby a player has 80
points added to their score if they reach -60 points, and they have -58
points, and make a public proposal retraction which causes a loss of 2
points, they gain 80 points an infintesimal amount of time after that post.
The public may not actually know this at the time, but it is possible for
them to know it].
  
  e) [Examples of current rules in this category are: 207, 306, 339,
761 (except the -10), 824, 866, 962.2]

4) Scoring Changes Based on the Content of an Adopted Proposal

  a) If a Score change is called for based on the content of a Proposal, or
a rule change created by that proposal, it is deemed to have occurred
simultaneaouly with any score changes mandated by R 207. It is the duty
of the Scorekeeper to announce such score changes.

  b) [Examples of current rules in this category are: 728, 798]
 
5) Scoring on Changes to Rules Which Cause Score Changes
  
If a score change is due to a rule or entity (e.g. Magic Potato), and
a rule change is adopted that affects how that rule or entity causes
score changes (including, but not limited to, destroying the entity),
then no score changes are generated by that rule or entity for the
adoption of the specific rule change in question. This paragraph
has precedence over sections 2), 3) and 4) where there is a conflict.
This rule defers precedence to R 793 where there is a conflict.
[This is to handle the "Potato Paradox" when a Proposal passes to repeal
the Magic Potato, or the 10th proposal passes that repeals the Brass
Monkey, no scoring is generated by those entities for the proposal
which passed.]

6) Exceptions, Errors, and Omissions

  a) No score changes can occur simultaneously for a given player, except
where the rules explicitly say they can. If it appears that they do, they
shall be categorizied into the above categories, and occur in the order
the above categories occur in this rule. If that still leaves any apparant
simultaneous score changes, the score changes will occur in the order of
largest absolute value first. If that still leaves a tie, however, the
tied score changes shall occur at the same time.

  b) Score changes can occur retroactively if an event in the past which
caused a score change is altered or nullified due to a Judgement verdict.

  c) Score changes can occur retroactively if an error or omission in
scoring is discovered, and that error or ommission occurred within the
14 days preceding the public announcement of the error or ommission.
This clause defers to R 106 where there is a conflict.

  d) Except as specified in b) or c), retroactive score changes are not
possible or permitted, except as permitted by R 106.

  e) This section (6) has precedence over sections 1 thru 5, where there
is a conflict

7) Rule Precedence

This rule has precedence over all other Mutable rules dealing with
scoring, except that it defers precedence to R 207, and except where
specific clauses above defer precedence.

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 422 "Required Number Of Points To Win" to
replace all occurrances of the word "privilege" with the word "duty".

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 762 "The Great Trombone of Ackanomia" to replace the
second paragraph with the following text:

        "Whenever the Great Trombone is Somewhere Else, the first player
to make a valid public claim will take possession of it. A claim is only
valid if the player concerned has had a publically knowable score of
exactly 76 points at any time within the past 2 days."

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 901 "No E-mail, No Game" to append the following at the
end of the current text:

"If possible, all players must configure their e-mail software to
correctly report the current time for the time zone specified. Otherwise,
they must make public notification of what corrections need to be applied
to compensate for erroreneous time stamps indicated on their posts. All
posts are deemed to have occurred at the corrected time, if the time stamp
of a post is erroreneous."

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 1022, "Spelling Bee", to replace section 3) with the following:

      3) Its flight may be initiated at any time, including immediately
after the Application of a Rule change, or the publication of a CFJ verdict.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #158
*******************************