Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #142
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Monday, July 29 1996         Volume 01 : Number 142

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 01:11:02 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC scoring

>The last one on the list is the one I really want.  I think the current
>payoff system encourages no-brainer proposals over risky ones.  The 
>proposed payoff system above would not really change the expected payoff
>for no-brainers (those with little chance of failing), but would create
>a more favorable payoff matrix for risky proposals, and may encourage
>people who do not write many proposals to do so.

I agree. I think that penalizing people severely for failed proposals 
tends to take fun proposals away.

>I also like /dev/joe's proposed changes which would change the payoff 
>matrix.

You mean the one where the payoff depends on the pro/con vote ratio? I'm 
not sure about that one. I don't see how all-or-nothing is so bad. It is 
a good idea, though, and I'd probably vote for it.

tinan

- --      Mike Epstein            "Nothing is wrong with California that
      [email-masked]           a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure."
  *                      *                  --Ross MacDonald (1915-1983)
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 02:51:16 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: New Blueprint 

Here is my second blueprint.  During a boom-time the owner of this little
wonder could become a powerful man...

Blueprint -  Whamiol

Whenever a new Player enters the game, the Whamiol will increase the score
of it's owner by fifteen points.  If no new players enter the game for a
period equal to or exceeding 30 days, the Whamiol will become anxious and
subtract one point from it's owners score once every two days until such
time as a new player joins the game.

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 03:32:28 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: Blueprint (II) 

One of these machines could be a goldmine in the right hands.  Carefule
managment and market analysis could net the owner of the gadget a small
fortune...

Blueprint -  Vending Machine

The Vending Machine initally comes equipped to vend A Rock To Wind A String
Around.  If no such entity exists, the Vending Machine will create it.  If
all rocks are currently owned, the Vending Machine will create another. If
a Rock To Wind A String Around is confined to the treasury, the Vending
Machine may remove it from the treasury.

The owner of a Vending Machine may equip his machine to vend other items by
purchasing a "Vending Machine add-on" if such a gadget (or entity) should
exist.  The owner of the Vending Machine may change the price his machine
charges for an item (x) by publically stating that he is doing so.
Initially, the value of x is A$6

Any player may use the Vending Machine by announcing that they wish to
purchase an item from it.  The player using the Vending Machine must
announce which item it is that he wishes to buy.  If the machine only
contains one item, or if the user does not specify an item it can be
assumed that he wishes to buy a Rock To Wind A String Around.

Upon the purchase of any item from a Vending Machine, the machine will
transfer x units of currency from the account of the buyer to the account
of the owner of the vending machine.  The vending machine will also
transfer the item which was purchased to the buyer.

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 03:32:35 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: New Blueprint (III) 

For the enterprising vending machine owner...

Blueprint - EP Vending Machine add-on

This Vending Machine add-on will allow the owner of a Vending Machine to
vend Electronic Potatoes.  If all Electronic Potatoes are currently owned,
this add-on will create another.

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 03:32:39 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Inventor: New Blueprint (IV) 

Feeling Low?  Need a pick-me-up?  This gadget may be just what you need...

Blueprint - Lovely Green Raincoat

The Lovely Green Raincoat will increase the score of a player (other than
it's owner) by 5 points whenever that player posts a message of exactly 247
words admiring the Lovely Green Raincoat's owner and praising him for a
specific instance of service to Ackanomic (so long as that player was not
the last person to have had his score increased by the Lovely Green
Raincoat).

The lovely green raincoat is indestructible.

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:08:18 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Party Chess 

Well, I have sent my Party Chess revision proposals to Wayne with no revisions
from the RFC material.  Since everyone seems to agree that Party Chess is
rather screwed up right now, and since no one reported any objection to the
RFCs, I assume they will pass unanimously.  :^)

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:26:55 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1013 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1013
  Proposal 1013 - Fri Jul 19 15:03:37 EDT 1996
  Injunctions
  Robin Hood  (R Shaw)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

9 YES votes   8 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Robin Hood loses 9 points.  19 -> 10

9 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   39 -> 40           
  Robin Hood                                   10 -> 11           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  De'ghew                Underworld            10 -> 11           
  Bascule                FUN                   30 -> 31           
  Techno                 Underworld            37 -> 38           
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            17 -> 18           
  Wayne                  Underworld            43 -> 44           

8 NO votes:  
  Brinjal                                     =  10               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   4               
  Nobs Unity vote                             =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           = -36               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  58               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  37               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 = 122               

0 PRESENT votes:

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:29:16 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1015 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1015
  Proposal 1015 - Fri Jul 19 15:06:03 EDT 1996
  01010100 01101000 01101001 01110011 01101001 01110011 01110100 01101000
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

4 YES votes   11 NO votes   2 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 9 points.  -36 -> -45

4 YES votes:  1 point each
  snowgod                (None Yet)           -45 -> -44          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            60 -> 61           
  Techno                 Underworld            38 -> 39           
  Tammany                                     =   0               

11 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  40               
  Robin Hood                                  =  11               
  Brinjal                                     =  10               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   6               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  33               
  Nobs Unity vote                             =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  39               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 = 122               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  44               

2 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            =  18

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      
===============================
Financier: please note that snowgod spent A$25 bribing the Tammany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:27:25 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1014 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1014
  Proposal 1014 - Fri Jul 19 15:04:48 EDT 1996
  Taking the Altar by the Horns
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

10 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  -9 -> 0

10 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  40               
  Robin Hood                                  =  11               
  Brinjal                                     =  10               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           = -36               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 = 122               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  38               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  18               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  44               

4 NO votes:  2 points each
  ThinMan                Nobs                   4 -> 6            
  Bascule                FUN                   31 -> 33           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            58 -> 60           
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                  37 -> 39           

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1014 - Fri Jul 19 15:04:48 EDT 1996
Taking the Altar by the Horns
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule entitled "Taking the Altar by the Horns" which
contains the following text:
"A player who is a member of a Church can't be burned as a witch, or as a
heretic provided e follow the following procedure:
1. After a witch hunt has been declared e posts a public message saying: 
"I
am running to the Church" followed by the name of the Church of which e is
a member.
2. Afterwards e posts a second message saying :"I am holding the Altar by
the Horns"

Both messages must be posted before the witch hunt is over. If, for
whatever reason, the player is no longer a member of  the Church e
anounce e was running to, e gets burned anyway."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:34:07 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1017 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1017
  Proposal 1017 - Fri Jul 19 15:07:07 EDT 1996
  Time
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

14 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  41 -> 50

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  50               
  Brinjal                                     =  11               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   6               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Nobs Unity vote                             =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           = -52               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  62               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  39               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 = 122               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  40               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  18               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -41               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  Robin Hood                                   12 -> 14           
  Bascule                FUN                   33 -> 35           

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1017 - Fri Jul 19 15:07:07 EDT 1996
Time
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal R 664, "Every other day, every other day, every other day of the
week is fine, yeah"

{{[ This is the "Sunday rule", which is what prompted me to write this
proposal. Aside from the problem of the rule being non culturally neutral,
it is a royal pain in the #^&%&^ for the CotC and Assistant Tabulator.

Times must be constantly be adjusted, and it draws out certain processes
unnecessarily.

The biggest problem will be for a CotC or AT, like myself, who works a
full job Monday to Friday, and does not use the company e-mail account for
nomic. The rule has the effect of buffering work that could be done Sunday,
to Monday, leaving alot of work for Monday nite.  This will not fly when
football season starts in America :).]}}

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 569, "Overturning Judgements", to replace the first paragraph,
to read in full:

      "After any Judgement is returned, a player may appeal the case to the
Supreme Court for consideration. The time period for appeal shall be 4
days from the posting of the Judgement. A player may not make more than
3 appeals of the same CFJ." 

{{[I've changed the appeal time from 7 to 4 days. This will ease CotC
work and clutter. Virtually all CFJs are appealed as soon as the verdict
is handed down anyway. 4 days is sufficient for it to be hanging out there.
I originally had 3 days, but that was too short for verdicts handed down
friday nite for people who don't play on the weekends, because writing
an appeal reasoning can be time consuming, unlike other 3 day things in 
the game. (ie, I effectively keep the Sunday rule for this one case,
because of the time consuming nature of CFJ appeals.

I've also removed the 5 point appeal penalty, The 20 point frivilous appeal
penalty is sufficient. If a real turkey of a verdict is handed down, why
should the first person to appeal it get hit with a 5 point penalty?

I've also tried to remove the endless filibustering with appeals.]}}

{{[current text
      "After any Judgement is returned, a player may pay a penalty of 5
points and appeal the case to the Supreme Court for consideration. The
time period for appeal shall be one week from the posting of the
Judgement."]}}

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 611, "Offices, Related Definitions" as follows:

a) replace all occurrances of the phrase "48 hours" with the phrase
"3 days".

b) replace all occurrances of the phrase "72 hours" with the phrase
"3 days".

{{[3 days is the time for everything else in the game, it should be
the same here. 2 days was too short for nomination announcements, given
weekends. Also, in the spirit of consistency, change hours to days]}}

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 612, "Offices, Commonalities" as follows:

replace all occurrances of the phrase "72 hours" with the phrase
"3 days".

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 615, "Speaker, Creation of" as follows:

a) replace all occurrances of the phrase "48 hours" with the phrase
"3 days".

b) replace all occurrances of the phrase "72 hours" with the phrase
"3 days".

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 648, "Confirmation Procedure" to replace the first paragraph to
read, in full:

      Whenever a rule calls for the confirmation by the Senate of a 
particular candidate or action (e.g. R507), each Senator will have 3
days (hereafter call the Period) to post a "Yes" or "No" vote to the
public forum.

{{[original: 

      Whenever a rule calls for the confirmation by the Senate of a 
particular candidate or action (e.g. R507), each Senator will have the
amount of time defined by the Standard Confirmation Period to post a
"Yes" or "No" vote to the public forum.]}}

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeal Rule 636 "Definitions". 

{{[ I never went anywhere with my original idea here of standardizing
times. The rule subtracts value, IMHO, and is no longer needed.]}}

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 779, "Succession Proceedings", as follows:

a) Add the following sentence as the first line of the rule:

"This rule has precedence over Rule 490."

b) Replace all occurences of the term "fortnight" with term "week".

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:35:54 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1018 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1018
  Proposal 1018 - Fri Jul 19 15:07:07 EDT 1996
  Hotels
  this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

14 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

this is not a name gains 9 points.  62 -> 71

14 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  50               
  Robin Hood                                  =  14               
  Brinjal                                     =  11               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   6               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  35               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           = -52               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  71               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  39               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  40               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  18               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 122 -> 124          
  Wayne                  Underworld           -41 -> -39          

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      
============================
The tammany was bribed by this is not a name for A$25

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1018 - Fri Jul 19 15:07:07 EDT 1996
Hotels
this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

A class of entities called the Hotel (plural Hotels) is hereby created. 
Hotels are Protected. Each particular Hotel is Protected and may only be 
created by the passage of a Rule. If the Rule that creates a particular 
Hotel ceases to exist, that Hotel vanishes in a cloud of dust.

Any Player may stay in a Hotel upon announcing it to the public forum and 
paying the hotel's fee. If the fee for a particular Hotel is not defined 
elsewhere in the rules, it is 10 units of the official currency per 
24-hour period or fraction thereof. The fee for staying in a Hotel is 
paid to the owner of the Hotel, unless otherwise specified. If a Hotel 
has no other owner, its owner is considered to be the Treasury. If the 
owner of a Hotel is a Player, that Player may set the fee for that Hotel, 
but any increase in a Hotel's fee will not apply to any Player staying in 
that Hotel at the time of the fee increase. If the owner of a Hotel 
ceases to be a Player, ownership of that Hotel reverts to the Treasury. A 
Hotel is considered to be an asset [and therefore can be bought and sold 
on the Free Market].

A Hotel is considered to have no limit on the number of Players staying 
there concurrently unless otherwise specified by a Rule. A Player staying 
in a Hotel is considered a Guest of that Hotel.

A Player may stay in a Hotel for any length of time as long as e has 
enough currency to pay for the privilege.

If a Guest goes on Vacation, e will remain in the Hotel as long as e has 
enough currency to pay for the privilege, provided that no other rule 
requires the Player to leave the Hotel. 

A Guest will not leave the Hotel until either e posts to the public forum 
that e is leaving, e runs out of money to pay for the stay, the Hotel 
ceases to exist, or e is required to leave the Hotel by any applicable 
Rule. The owner of a Hotel does not have the ability to make a Guest 
leave that Hotel unless otherwise specified by another applicable Rule.

Players who are staying in Hotels and owners of Hotels may have other 
privileges, duties or special characteristics as specified by another 
applicable Rule.

No Player may simultaneously be in more than one of the following 
entities: any Hotel, the Ackanomic Afterlife, Gaol. A Player staying in a 
Hotel who is required by any rule to enter another of these entities 
automatically leaves the Hotel. This Rule defers to those Rules requiring 
any Player to enter an entity mentioned in this paragraph.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:37:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1019 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1019
  Proposal 1019 - Fri Jul 19 15:08:35 EDT 1996
  Casa Mona
  this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

9 YES votes   7 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

this is not a name loses 9 points.  71 -> 62

9 YES votes:  1 point each
  Robin Hood                                   14 -> 15           
  Brinjal                                      11 -> 12           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                   35 -> 36           
  snowgod                (None Yet)           -52 -> -51          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            62 -> 63           
  Techno                 Underworld            40 -> 41           
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            18 -> 19           

7 NO votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  50               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   6               
  Nobs Unity vote                             =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  39               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 = 124               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -39               

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:31:32 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1016 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 1016
  Proposal 1016 - Fri Jul 19 15:06:20 EDT 1996
  Everything You Know is Wrong
  snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

9 YES votes   7 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

snowgod loses 9 points.  -44 -> -53

9 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   40 -> 41           
  Robin Hood                                   11 -> 12           
  Brinjal                                      10 -> 11           
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           -53 -> -52          
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            61 -> 62           
  Techno                 Underworld            39 -> 40           
  Tammany                                     =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld            44 -> 45           

7 NO votes:  
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   6               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  33               
  Nobs Unity vote                             =   0               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  39               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 = 122               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  18               

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      
============================================
Fianancier: snowgod spent A$25 bribing the Tammany

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:41:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1022 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1022
  Proposal 1022 - Sat Jul 20 11:43:11 EDT 1996
  Spelling Bee
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

12 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  50 -> 59

12 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  59               
  Robin Hood                                  =  15               
  Brinjal                                     =  12               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  15               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           = -51               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 = 124               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  41               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  19               

3 NO votes:  2 points each
  Bascule                FUN                   38 -> 40           
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                  39 -> 41           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -39 -> -37          

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  Mellon                                      
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1022 - Sat Jul 20 11:43:11 EDT 1996
Spelling Bee
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[this is an attempt to allow the web-harfer to fix misspellings when
rules and CFJs are adopted, and not need to go through the proposal
process, thus simplifying the whole thing, and putting it in the
background]}}

Create a new rule entitled "Spelling Bee", reading:

This rule takes precedence over any mutable rule which would prohibit
the type of Rule and CFJ changes described here.

1) This Rule creates a Protected entity known as the Spelling Bee. Its
purpose is to fly through the Rules and CFJ Archive and sting out
misspelled or mistyped words. It may not fly through, or sting, any
other entities.

2) Its flight may only be initiated by an officer privileded to do so.

3) Its flight may be initiated at any time, including immediately after
the Adoption of a Rule change, or the filing of a CFJ verdict.

4) An officer initiates its flight by posting a public message with
the term "Spelling" in its subject line. Its flight consists of, in that
post, a listing of all Rule and CFJ changes being made, clearly labeled
by rule or CFJ number, old word, and replacement word. These changes are
called "stingings" and must be made in accordance with the rules
below. Words in titles and headers of Rules and CFJs may be stung.
No one may initiate a flight which is illegal, or contains illegal
stingings.

5a) Permissible Stingings:
        a) Replacing a misspelled word with its correctly spelled
equivelent.
        b) Changing the capitilization of the first letter of a word.
        c) Replacing correctly spelled words with the word that was
intended. Ie, replacing "an" with "and" in the following example from
R 214: "A Judgement may be accompanied by reasons an arguments".
        d) Replacing proper nouns with their proper spelling when the
proper spelling is generally known and accepted.

5b) Impermissible stingings. This list takes precedence over 5a) where
there is conflict:
        a) Replacing a creative or made up word, such as "Torkola".
        b) Replacing British, American, or archaic spellings with their
American, British, or non-archaic equivelent.
        c) Replacing a foreign word with its Anglicized equivelent.
        d) Replacing Spivak pronouns with other pronouns, or replacing
non-gender neutral language with gender neutral language, or replacing any
pronoun or phrase with a Spivak pronoun.
        e) Replacing words in quotes or words followed by [sic].
        f) Replacing slang or colloquial words, or spellings thereof.
        g) Changing the word, such as replacing "superceeds" with "takes
precedence over", or "computer" with "machine", even if the word being
replaced is misspelled.
        g) Fixing grammar errors, except what is allowed by 5a) section c).
        i) Replacing abbreviations and acronyms.
        j) Making any change that violates the "spirit" of what was
intended in the writing being edited.

6) Once the flight has been announced, it has been considered to be made,
and the changes may be physically made by the officer. If a player objects
to a stinging or stinging(s), they must Call for Judgement on the matter
that the change violated this, or other rules. If the CFJ finds for the
player's position, the change(s) must be undone. (Note that the officer will
be liable for CFCJ as well, for initiating an illegal flight of the
Spelling Bee). If the CFJ does not find for the player, their only recourse
is a Proposal to change the language back.

7) Changes made by the Spelling Bee are not noted below the Rules, as is
customary for other changes. This clause takes precedence over any
mutable rule which would require such notation.

8) Where there is doubt, corrent spellings are adjudicated by the Official
Dictionary.

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 411, "Office of the Web-Harfer", to read, in full:

      The Office of the Web-Harfer is a Functional Office. The Duties
are:
        a) To keep the information on the Ackanomic WWW page up-to-date.
        b) To select and maintain a link to the Official Dictionary of the
English language (hereafter referred to in the rules as the "Official
Dictionary").

        The Privileges are, in addition to receiving the customary salary:

        a) To initiate flights of the Spelling Bee.
 
        It is the responsibility of other players to make public any
information that should be reflected in the WWW page."

{{[original text:
      "The Office of the Web-Harfer is a Functional Office. It is the
Duty of the Web-Harfer to keep the information on the Ackanomic WWW page
up-to-date. It is the responsibility of other players to make public any
information that should be reflected in the WWW page."]}}
 
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 798 "Palindromes are Inherently Amusing", to replace section
(2) under "conditions" with:

      "(2) each word in the Rule exists either in the Ackanomic Rule Set
previous to the creation of the Rule, or in the Official Dictionary,
provided that such dictionary exists and is not under the control of any
Player."

{{[original:
      (2) each word in the Rule exists either in the Ackanomic Rule Set
previous to the creation of the Rule, or in an electronically accessible
dictionary of the English language selected by the Web-Harfer, should that
office exist, provided that such dictionary is not under the control of
any Player]}}

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 13:44:21 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 1023 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 1023
  Proposal 1023 - Sat Jul 20 12:03:02 EDT 1996
  Auction
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 13 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

13 YES votes   2 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Malenkai gains 9 points.  59 -> 68

13 YES votes:  
  Malenkai               FUN                  =  68               
  Robin Hood                                  =  15               
  Brinjal                                     =  12               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  15               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  40               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           = -51               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  65               
  Habeous Corpus                              =  12               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  41               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  41               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  19               

2 NO votes:  2 points each
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 124 -> 126          
  Wayne                  Underworld           -37 -> -35          

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  11

 ABSTENTIONS:

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  Mellon                                      
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             
  pTang1001001sos                             
  Pascal                                      

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 1023 - Sat Jul 20 12:03:02 EDT 1996
Auction
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[Not only includes a new auction rule reuseable by anyone, but rewrites
Gadgets and Blueprints for conformity.

It came to me when writing the Pizza proposal that it might be
nice to piggyback on the existing gadget/blueprint/auction stuff that
was already out there, but those rules were specific and not reuseable.

It seems to me that anyone should be able to create a blueprint/gadget,
if 2/3 of the electorate approve it (eg, magic potato, pizza). Its really
not that much different than a rule. The Inventor could still do so by
priveledge, but I wanted to extend the process to where a *rule* could
create blueprints and gadgets, thus reusing the concept. It was especially
important to me in the case of auctions, where I do not want to rewrite
the auction procedure every time I wanted to create something like Pizza
by rule, so I broke out auctions into a seperate rule, which also allows
the Inventor a chance to bid on the gadget.

I also extended the term Gadget to Artifact and Creature, because the term
Gadget seems mechanical and limiting. (I have the term
Chartreuse Goose in my mind, but haven't found anything to do with it yet
(pTang's Horrid Green Thing comes to mind))]}}

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 594, "Blueprints, Creation of", to read in full:

      (i) The Inventor can create a new Blueprint by publicly posting its
text. In this case, the Inventor is considered the creator of the
Blueprint. A Rule can also create a new Blueprint by specifying that it
is doing so, and by specifying its text. In this case, the Rule's author
is considered the creator of the Blueprint.
  
       If a new Blueprint does not
      (a) introduce exactly one new type of Gadget, (b) name the new Gadget
type, and (c) unambiguously define the behavior of such a Gadget, it is
immediately destroyed.

      (ii) When a Blueprint is judged to be in conflict with one or more
Rules, the Blueprint is destroyed.

      (iii) A Blueprint is lonely if and only if there do not currently
exist any Gadgets made from that Blueprint. The creator of a Blueprint
may destroy their lonely Blueprint. If an Inventor leaves office for any
reason, all of his or her lonely Blueprints are destroyed. [This gives the
Players a way to get rid of the Blueprint for some Doomsday device: impeach
the Inventor. In other cases, the Blueprint is generally approved by vote.]

      [A Blueprint is not a legally binding document except where the Rules
say that it is.]

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend Rule 786 "Gadgets, Creation of", to read in full:

      (i) The terms "Artifact" and "Creature", as used elsewhere in the
      rules, shall be considered synonomous to the term "Gadget", and
      all rules pertaining to Gadgets shall apply to these terms.

      (ii) A Gadget's Blueprint is the Blueprint that defines the class
      of Gadget to which that Gadget belongs. If a Gadget's Blueprint
      exists, the Gadget behaves in the manner defined by the Blueprint,
      and may be manipulated in accordance with it.

      (iii) A Gadget has at most one owner. The ownership of a Gadget may
      be transferred from one Player to another by mutual consent, but
      both Players must write messages to the public forum stating the
      terms of the transfer. The time of the transfer is the time of the
      later of the two messages.

      (vi) The ability to create Gadgets is a Privilege of the Inventor.
      The Inventor may create a Gadget only by performing these tasks, in
      this order:

         (a) choosing a type from those defined by existing Blueprints.

         (b) announcing publicly that a new Gadget of that type is being
         made. This cannot be done if the Inventor is already in the process
         of making a Gadget.

         (c) building the gadget. This task is completed when the Inventor
         has spent at least three days building, and the Blueprint defining
         the type of Gadget to be made has existed for at least one
         week. The Gadget is created at the end of this time. It has no
         owner.

         (d) announcing publicly that the new Gadget has been built and
         initiating the process to publically Auction the Gadget, as defined
         by Rule XYZ.

{{Upon adoption of this rule change, all occurrences of the string "XYZ"
in the resultant rule, other than this one, shall be replaced by the
proposal number which led to this rule change.}}
      
         (e) If, during the creation process, the Inventor's Privileges
         are suspended, the process is paused. If, during the creation
         process, the Inventor leaves office, no new Gadget is created, or
         the new Gadget is destroyed (whichever case applies). The process
         is then aborted and cannot be continued by the succeeding Inventor.

      (v) Gadgets, Creatures, and Artifacts may also be created by rules,
      provided the rule specifies the quantity created, the Blueprint which
      defines its behaviour, and how ownership is to be determined. If
      ownership is to be determined by Auction, The Auction shall be
      conducted by the process defined by Rule XYZ.

      (vi) A Gadget's owner can destroy it by publicly announcing that he
      or she is doing so, unless the Gadget's Blueprint specifies that it
      is indestructible.

      (vii) A Gadget may create, destroy, or manipulate a Protected entity
      if its Blueprint so specifies. [So, Gadgets can affect other Gadgets,
      create points, and so on, as long as this behaviour does not conflict
      with the Rules.]

- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new rule shall be created with the title "Auction", and have the following
text:

1) An Auction can be called either by the Rules or by any Player. The
call for Auction must include:
        a) the item to be Auctioned, which must be unowned if the Rules
           are calling for the Auction, and must be owned by the Player
           calling the Auction if it is being called by a Player.
        b) the quantity to be Auctioned (default = 1)
        c) the minimum bid (default = A$0)
        d) whether the Auction is to be private or public (default = private)

{{[the following is to allow the Inventor a chance to bid on inventions]}}
 
2) The Auctioneer will be the Assistant Tabulator if the day of the week
when the Auction is called is odd (based on New York Time), and the
Inventor otherwise. If either office is unfilled or on vacation, the other
shall be the Auctioneer. If both are unfilled or on vacation, the Speaker
shall be the Auctioneer. If this is impossible as well, there shall be
no Auction until the situation is corrected. To go on vacation just to
avoid Auctioneer duty is to be considered bad taste, and the other Players
are permitted to sneer.

3) The Auctioneer is disqualified to bid in the Auction. The Auctioneer
may use either the title of Auctioneer, or Chief Cheese for the duration
of the Auction.

4) The Auction shall last for 3 days, after which time the Auctioneer
shall announce the results, and all currency and items shall be transferred
to their new owners. If the Auction was not initiated by a player, the
Auctioneer shall keep a 10% commission of all monies transferred to the
Treasury as compensation for performing the work and not being permitted
to bid.
 
5) The Auction shall be conducted as follows:
     5a) All qualified players are permitted to submit bids of an amount of
currency equal to or less than the amount they possess. If a player submits
multiple bids, only the highest will be considered. Anyone who submits a
bid in excess of the currency they have is disqualified, and their bids
are disqualified. Anyone who submits a bid below the minimum bid is
also disqualified. Bids may not be retracted.

     5b) Let N be the quantity of items up for Auction. The players who
made the N highest qualified bids shall each receive an item in exchange
for the amount of currency they bid. If the number of players who made
qualified bids is less than N, then the Auctioneer shall receive all the
the remaining items, if the minimum bid was A$0. If it was not A$0, then
the remaining item(s) shall revert to the player initiating the auction.
If, instead, they were unowned when the Auction was initiated, they are
destroyed.

     5c) If the bids are tied such that the Auctioneer cannot determine
who gets item(s), the Auctioneer shall resolve the tie(s) via random
means, and disclose this fact.

     5d) If the Auction is private, the Auctioneer shall not disclose the
results to anyone during the process of the Auction. If the Auction is
public, the Auctioneer shall make a good faith attempt to keep the players
apprised of the current high bid(s), either via e-mail or the Web page,
for the duration of the Auction.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #142
*******************************