Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #140
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, July 28 1996         Volume 01 : Number 140

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 20:29:59 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: To The Gaol with me?

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> A question...
> 
> If I choose not to appeal CFCJ 107, can I immediatly go to the Gaol, or am
> I required to wait 3 days as per the grace period?  This may seem trivial,
> but I have a feeling it's not.

I believe do to all of the protection that you must wait the 3 or 4 day
grace period.  I would check the wording of R 709, or ask the acting
Gaoler.  (Sorry, I'm in the middle of something complex).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 96 22:25:08 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Even More Vacation Side-effects, and Score Update

/dev/joe wrote:
>Finally, for the consecutive proposal thing, at Jul 12 22:19 these changes
>are added:
>+10 pTang1001001sos
>+10 /dev/joe
>+5 this is not a name
>+20 Malenkai
>+5 Kelly Martin

Hmmm. I don't think it's at all clear that people can be awarded points 
multiple times. In fact I think it's equally possible that each author 
gets 5 points regardless of how many of the proposals belonged to e.

I'm writing a CFJ on this now.

- --      Mike Epstein            "Quite frankly, teachers are the only
      [email-masked]           profession that teaches our children."
  *                      *                               --Dan Quayle
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 22:31:43 EDT 
From: [email-masked] (Ed  Graham)
Subject: Acka: Official

I wish to offer my most profound appologies to Wayne,  /dev/joe and the
rest of Ackanomia.  If I had known that my votes on Proposals 958 - 976
and any other votes that may be deemed "illegal".  I thought I had
carefully read the deadlines on each of them prior to my sending my vote
to Wayne.  I can only plead temporary insanity in not being capable in
figuring the time zone difference or knowing which day of the week it is.

I wish I could verify exactly where I erred,  but unfortunately,  my
computer had a minor crash and all my E-mail records for the first week
of my active registration,  including but not limited to all digests, 
nomicbot traffic and even letters to my sister were trashed. 

Again,  my deepest appologies and as soon as Festival is over I will call
a CFCJ on myself for my obviously illegal behavior.

Habeous Corpus
<definition of "Elephant: a mouse built to government specifications --
R.A. Heinlein>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 96 23:27:48 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

Habeous Corpus wrote:
>I wish to offer my most profound appologies to Wayne,  /dev/joe and the
>rest of Ackanomia.  If I had known that my votes on Proposals 958 - 976
>and any other votes that may be deemed "illegal".  I thought I had
>carefully read the deadlines on each of them prior to my sending my vote
>to Wayne.  I can only plead temporary insanity in not being capable in
>figuring the time zone difference or knowing which day of the week it is.

I don't think anyone's blaming you. I certainly am not!

Besides, if you get sent to Gaol, you can petition for a writ of habeus 
corpus. :)

- --      Mike Epstein            "Those who deny freedom to others
      [email-masked]           deserve it not for themselves."
  *                      *                      --Abraham Lincoln
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 23:53:29 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 243 (Pascal)

Pascal has been chosen for the following, and has 3 days
to respond.

Clerk of the Courts

Call For Judgement 243
Subject: That Funky Monkey
Initiator: this is not a name
Judge: Pascal (selected Jul 27, 1996, 23:50h New York Time)

Statement:

When Rule 824 is invoked, each particular player's score only changes by
5 votes, no matter how many of the 10 proposals were written by that
player.

this is not a name's Reasoning:

Rule 824 reads:

>     If 10 consecutive proposals are accepted, the Brass Monkey shall
>     climb the tallest building in Acka Land and proclaim --
>     "The authors of the 10 consecutive proposals that were accepted
>     shall be awarded 5 bonus points."
>     After this proclamation, the score keeper shall increment the
>     appropriate scores by 5 points.

The rule does not state specifically whether my position is correct or
not. But it implies that it is correct. If player X wrote several of the
proposals, e is still only an author of them once and should only receive
5 points once.

In addition, relevant to the part of the rule beginning "After this
proclamation," the Scorekeeper is required to increment the appropriate
scores by 5 points. If player X wrote 3 proposals, e would be entitled to
15 points if my reasoning were incorrect. But it is stated in the rule
that the Scorekeeper is to increment that player's score by 5 points and
5 points only.

If this CFJ is judged true, the following score changes must be made as a
correction:
- -5  pTang1001001sos
- -5  /dev/joe
- -15 Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 00:02:14 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 243 (Pascal)

Malenkai wrote:
>  
> Call For Judgement 243

> Statement:
> 
> When Rule 824 is invoked, each particular player's score only changes by
> 5 votes, no matter how many of the 10 proposals were written by that
> player.

The statement indicates a verdict of FALSE, although I could always use
5 extra votes for CFJ Casino :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 00:13:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: scorekeeper and vacation

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:

> Malenkai's score reached 76 exactly when he gained 6 points for posting
> what Phoebe said at July 16, 22:05 EDT (*After* the parade for P976)
> and his highest score was 88.  Nobody got as low as -60 or as high as 257.

I claim that Trombone again, if and only if game custom permits it. I
believe this is analogous to /dev/joe's claiming it recently, which
was analogous to me claiming it the first time. I will assume I have it
until told otherwise.

> The change from -11 to 71 in two weeks doesn't show the full range that
> Malenkai's score has covered.  He went from -27 to 88 in 8 days.

Thats FUN party play :) I guess the value of my PFBonds was fluctuating
as well. I hope the Financier retros the effects to the last bond cycle.
Time to sell though, I've got some turkeys in the queue.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 00:33:07 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Criminal Justice

It seems that snowgod must still go to the Gaol after the grace period
is over, even though he appealed CFCJ 107.

Furthermore, it seems that snowgod will remain in Gaol even if the
verdict is overturned, unless it is returned *before* he enters Gaol.
The rules certainly don't dictate the he be removed in such case.

This is kinda sloppy, perhaps we should fix it someday.

Malenkai

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #140
*******************************