Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #138
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Saturday, July 27 1996        Volume 01 : Number 138

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 22:23:06 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFCJ 107 (snowgod)

>First I note the same judge judged CFCJ 103, CFCJ 108, and the above,
>so you are agreeing with yourself.

If anyone objected to 103, they could have appealed it.

It is impossible for the calling of a witchhunt to be illegal. I could 
call a witchhunt on Malenkai for sending and receiving email, thus 
implying that the earth is round because his monitor is curved and on 
Acka the whole world is email. It may be absurd, but it's not illegal.

>Your argument is analoguous to saying that if a proposal is distributed
>during a Festival, and people vote on it, its distribution was legal.

No it isn't. A proposal explicitly may not be distributed during a 
Festival. Doing so is illegal. That's got nothing to do with the legality 
of calling a witchhunt in this situation. snowgod is within his rights, 
because following the letter of the law, those players did indeed imply 
the earth was round (perish the thought!) and it was a public message.

               this is not a name      [email-masked]
                 Appointer - Historian - File Clerk
        Acting Senator - Acting Chess-Umpire - Acting Gaoler
Swinger for (None Yet) - Priest of the Church of the Markovian Dream

- --      Mike Epstein            
      [email-masked]          Not a single byte of Microsoft software
  *                      *      was used to create this message.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 22:39:26 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Law and Disorder

I find myself walking down the Acka streets, somewhere between the 
Senate and the Library, and notice a tiny alleyway that I have never
seen before.

I venture down it and much to my surprise I discover a small derelict
wooden building I never knew existed. I peer in the open door and 
notice a small sign etched on the wall. I dust off the sign, and 
discover the word "Gaol", handwritten there.

I then see an office, on the door of that office, in the same handwriting,
is the word "Gaoler". Some text to the right of the word appears to be
recently erased. A small note is attached to the door: "On Vacation, not
needed".

Just as I'm about to leave, I grab the door handle, and some sort of 
pink goo gets stuck in my fingers. What is this, I exclaim? Then I realise,
its the Ackanomic Gumball!

Cool, I say. I put the Gumball in my mouth, and chew it vigorously, on 
this day, Friday July 25, 1996.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:49:03 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: Law and Disorder

>Cool, I say. I put the Gumball in my mouth, and chew it vigorously, on
>this day, Friday July 25, 1996.

I suppose you would like someone to CFCJ on you so that you may prove a
point about the legality of gumball chewing on non-gumball day, and the
CFCJ process in general (relating to CFCJ's 107 and 108).

I'll leave it for someone else.  While we're at it, let's CFCJ on Wayne for
distrubuting proposals during a festival.

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:08:42 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Witchhunt Results

I apologize if I missed votes. My system crashed last night. Thats
Microsoft for ya. Its a shame Linux needs mega megs of ram to run 
Netscape.

Anyway, I doubt missed votes would have affected the outcome.

Votes were accepted until Fri Jul 26, 21:44 New York Time.
 
On the matter of the Witchhunt against Malenkai, the votes were:

BURN THE WITCH! (7 votes):
	
	this is not a name
	snowgod
	mr cwm
	ThinMan
	Bascule
	/dev/joe
	Habeous Corpus

No! E said the Earth is flat (3 votes):

	Malenkai
	Wayne
	Robin Hood

Thus Malenkai is burnt as a heretic and he loses 10 points.

Witchfinder General

I hereby leave the Ackanomic Afterlife.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:14:31 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Law and Disorder

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> >Cool, I say. I put the Gumball in my mouth, and chew it vigorously, on
> >this day, Friday July 25, 1996.
> 
> I suppose you would like someone to CFCJ on you so that you may prove a
> point about the legality of gumball chewing on non-gumball day, and the
> CFCJ process in general (relating to CFCJ's 107 and 108).

I wish to bring to the fore the issues raised in Steve Gardner's essays,
and my response to the essay and the verdict on CFCJ 108. I personally
find that aspect of the game interesting. I may even call the CFCJ on
myself.

I do not think calling a CFCJ on Wayne is appropriate, given the spirit
and context in which all of the recent alledegedly illegal actions
occurred.

Steve's essay brings up interesting points regarding the legality of
illegal actions. I play the game, in part, to explore some of these
issues. CFCJ 108's verdict also brings up interesting points.
Please read what I have written, and don't call a CFCJ on Wayne. Where
is that coming from?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 23:16:06 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Law and Disorder

>Just as I'm about to leave, I grab the door handle, and some sort of 
>pink goo gets stuck in my fingers. What is this, I exclaim? Then I realise,
>its the Ackanomic Gumball!
>
>Cool, I say. I put the Gumball in my mouth, and chew it vigorously, on 
>this day, Friday July 25, 1996.

Nice try. You must have been imagining it, though. You may have put the 
gumball in your mouth, but you'll have an awfully hard time biting down 
on it for a few days. ;-)

               this is not a name      [email-masked]
                 Appointer - Historian - File Clerk
        Acting Senator - Acting Chess-Umpire - Acting Gaoler
Swinger for (None Yet) - Priest of the Church of the Markovian Dream

- --      Mike Epstein            
      [email-masked]          It may be that your whole purpose in life
  *                      *      is simply to serve as a warning to others.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 23:29:03 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Law and Disorder

this is not a name wrote:
> 
> >Just as I'm about to leave, I grab the door handle, and some sort of
> >pink goo gets stuck in my fingers. What is this, I exclaim? Then I realise,
> >its the Ackanomic Gumball!
> >
> >Cool, I say. I put the Gumball in my mouth, and chew it vigorously, on
> >this day, Friday July 25, 1996.
> 
> Nice try. You must have been imagining it, though. You may have put the
> gumball in your mouth, but you'll have an awfully hard time biting down
> on it for a few days. ;-)

We've got to come down on one side or the other on this. As long as there
is disagreement to this level on part of the basic infrastructure of 
the game, we may have problems later. Please at least read Steve's essay
and my response, as you seem to have a deep interest in this aspect of
the game. I'm not saying that you are wrong, but I do disagree with
you, and think coming to an agreement could be fun for Acka. Perhaps this
should be moved to the acka-judicial channel.

I suppose a judge may decide if I did, in fact, chew the gumball, and will
go to Gaol. I note that as acting Gaoler, you may not receive bribes :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 23:58:11 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Law and Disorder

Malenkai wrote:
>Please at least read Steve's essay
>and my response, as you seem to have a deep interest in this aspect of
>the game.

I have. My argument on this issue is not that there SHOULD be no penalty 
for attempting to perform an illegal action, but that currently there IS 
no penalty defined by the rules for doing so. It's not a philosphical 
issue; it's a practical issue.

>I note that as acting Gaoler, you may not receive bribes :)

My reading of the rules doesn't support that claim. Where do you see that?

R612 reads:
>
>     (iv)   Whenever a Functional Office has a vacant Seat, and there
>            is no Acting Officer for that Seat, the Appointer is
>            to be the Acting Officer for that Seat.

Since an Acting Officer is never explicitly defined, I assume it means 
one subject to all the duties and privileges of the office.

(Note that this is a separate mechanism than the one by which the Speaker 
may appoint a player to assume the duties of an Office.)

               this is not a name      [email-masked]
                 Appointer - Historian - File Clerk
        Acting Senator - Acting Chess-Umpire - Acting Gaoler
Swinger for (None Yet) - Priest of the Church of the Markovian Dream

- --      Mike Epstein            "If you're not part of the solution,
      [email-masked]           you're part of the precipitate."
  *                      *                       --Henry J. Tillman
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/   

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #138
*******************************