Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #133
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, July 25 1996        Volume 01 : Number 133

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 1:59:33 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1036

Proposal 1036 - Thu Jul 25 01:59:33 EDT 1996
Rock, Creation of
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

There exists A Rock To Wind A String Around (henceforth known as the rock).
The rock may not be owned or controlled by any player, except as specified
by the rules.  The rock may be manipulated by a vending machine, should
such a thing exist.

Presently the rock is unowned, and resides in the treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 1:59:46 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1037

Proposal 1037 - Thu Jul 25 01:59:46 EDT 1996
Bull Market
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 818 to make the following changes:

1) Replace all occurrances of the string "A$7" with the string "A$57".

2) Append the following paragraph at the end of the rule:

Prosthetic Foreheads may be traded on the FM for currency or other 
entities, assuming the FM exists. Prosthetic Foreheads may be auctioned,
provided such a procedure is defined by the Rules.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 1:59:59 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1038

Proposal 1038 - Thu Jul 25 01:59:59 EDT 1996
Enlightenment
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 729, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", to append the following 
paragraph at the end of the current text:

Any player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
Enlightened. Any player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope
and may never become Enlightened. Any player who is Enlightened is free
to say what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against
them, or be burned as a heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all
others in this rule.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:00:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1039

Proposal 1039 - Thu Jul 25 02:00:13 EDT 1996
Winning
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 110, "Winning the Game", as follows:

1) Change the title to "Winning".

2) Amend it to read, in full:

A player may only win the Game or Cycle by procedures defined by the 
Rules, or by achieving a winning condition that is defined by the Rules.
There is no limit to the number of such procedures or conditions which
may be defined in the Rules.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:00:49 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1040

Proposal 1040 - Thu Jul 25 02:00:49 EDT 1996
Protect #1
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Transmute R110 to Immutable

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:01:11 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1041

Proposal 1041 - Thu Jul 25 02:01:10 EDT 1996
Protect #2
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Transmute R106 to Immutable

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:01:44 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1042

Proposal 1042 - Thu Jul 25 02:01:44 EDT 1996
Enlightenment
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 729, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", to append the following 
paragraph at the end of the current text:

Any player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
Enlightened. Any player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope
and may never become Enlightened. Any player who is Enlightened is free
to say what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against
them, or be burned as a heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all
others in this rule.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:02:06 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1042

Proposal 1042 - Thu Jul 25 02:02:06 EDT 1996
protect #3
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Transmute R112 to Immutable

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:02:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1043

Proposal 1043 - Thu Jul 25 02:02:34 EDT 1996
We've been crashed for a while
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 457 to replace the sentence which reads:
 
"The only thing a player on vacation may legally do is take
himself off vacation."

with:

"The only thing a player on vacation may legally do is take
himself off vacation, or perform any action permitted by an Immutable
Rule."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:03:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1044

Proposal 1044 - Thu Jul 25 02:03:02 EDT 1996
Honoring Wayne
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{Wayne is hereby awarded a Blue Cross as recognition for his outstanding
work for Ackanomic. A parade shall be held in his honor. This rule has
precedence over all other mutable rules.}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:03:16 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1045

Proposal 1045 - Thu Jul 25 02:03:16 EDT 1996
Just sillier
this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

The words "cows eat grass" in the rule entitled "That's just silly" shall 
be replaced with the text of Rule 728.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:03:27 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1046

Proposal 1046 - Thu Jul 25 02:03:27 EDT 1996
Baaa
this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

Create a new rule reading as follows:

The acka-entity called the Little Lamb exists. The Little Lamb resides on 
the common lands of Ackanomia.

Any player may claim possession of the Little Lamb, which will remain in 
effect until another player claims possession of the Little Lamb, or for 
one week, whichever is longer.

Just as cows eat grass, the Little Lamb also eats grass. Therefore, any 
player who possesses the Little Lamb will be charged 10 units of the 
official currency each time e takes possession of the Little Lamb. The 
fee will be paid to the Orkatass Lawn Care Company and Motor Inn for 
reseeding the common lands.

But while a player possesses the Little Lamb, e has three times the 
normal probability of receiving the Magic Potato, and e may purchase a 
Wool Sweater from the Treasury for 10 units of the official currency.

Any number of Wool Sweaters may exist at one time. They are created by 
the Orkatass Lamb Products Company when purchased. A player may put on a 
Wool Sweater if e possesses one. However, players wearing Prosthetic 
Foreheads may not put on a Wool Sweater, because Wool Sweaters will not 
fit over Prosthetic Foreheads.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:04:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1047

Proposal 1047 - Thu Jul 25 02:04:02 EDT 1996
[The name of this proposal is a single space character]
this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

Create a new rule entitled "[The name of this rule is a single space 
character]" with the following text:

The entity called Nothing is hereby created.

Nothing exists.

Nothing can be owned by any player.

Nothing has no properties.

Nothing cannot be owned by the Treasury.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:04:22 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1048

Proposal 1048 - Thu Jul 25 02:04:22 EDT 1996
Unilateral Nuclear Disarmament
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

{{[game custom indicates the following rule changes are legal, I suppose]}}

Transmute R 108 to Mutable.
- -----------------------------------------------

Amend "Rule 108" Mutable/Immutable Inconsistencies, to read in full:

      Clauses or sections in Mutable rules that are inconsistent in some
way with some Immutable rule (except by proposing to transmute it) are
wholly void and without effect. The rest of the Mutable rule remains in
effect, as if the inconsistent clause(s) have been stricken from it. 

      They do not implicitly transmute immutable rules into mutable rules
and at the same time amend them. Rule changes that transmute immutable
rules into mutable rules will be effective only if they explicitly state
their transmuting effect.
- ----------------------------------------------------
Transmute R 108 to Immutable.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 02:06:52 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1036

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 1036 - Thu Jul 25 01:59:33 EDT 1996
> Rock, Creation of
> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

If you wish, you need not put the "Creation of" on anymore. In fact, I
submitted a massive CSRR suggestion to remove such from the current rules.
It is now an asthetic decision.

Malenkai
Likes one word titles

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 2:10:18 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1036

I remember such a proposal coming thru, but i was not sure if it had passed
or not.  It's hard to keep up with all the rule changes.  Time for me to
pring another hard copy.  My old verion is two weeks old.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:27:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1042

Wayne distributed:
> Proposal 1042 - Thu Jul 25 02:01:44 EDT 1996
> Enlightenment
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

I can only assume this is an error, since there is another copy of this
distributed earlier (P1038) and there is another P1042.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 10:23:11 BST
From: R Shaw <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: VOTE! 

 If I'm on vacation (which I don't believe I am) I hereby return 
from it.

> Please, GET OUT AND VOTE, and take yourself off vacation, if that is
> possible, or legal.
> 
> My reading of the rules indicates that R 457 is wholly void and without
> effect, by virtue of a Mutable/Immutable inconsistancy with R 111. This
> condition has existed since May 16th. The specific wording is that R 111
> allowed a player to forfeit, and now allows a player to quit, but R 457
> allowed a vacationing player to do nothing but return from vacation. 
> Hence the M/I inconsistancy.
> 
> This means, as I see it, that players on vacation were not really on
> vacation, at least if they put themselves on vacation since May 16.
> Even if they did, they count towards quorum, unless someone can find
> a reason they don't, other than R 457.
> 
> I have checked each proposal result since the proposal that amended R 457
> to its current form (P 732, I believe). Amazingly, only 3 have failed
> due to quorum, and they are recent (1010, 1011, and 1012). The voting
> indicates that they would have failed anyway, the only effect is scoring,
> and the fact that as of 1010, the list of people below are on vacation.
> It could have been much worse.
> 
> The bottom line is, please VOTE, or we will have another quorum crisis.
> I have put the fix to R 457 in the queue.
> I believe the following players are on *involuntary* vacation. If some
> of them went on vacation before May 16th, they are on *volunatry*
> vacation: (They all count against quorum, though)
> 
>   Robin Hood

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:43:39 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1042

At 2:01 AM 7/25/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 1042 - Thu Jul 25 02:01:44 EDT 1996
>Enlightenment
>Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
>
>Amend R 729, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", to append the following
>paragraph at the end of the current text:
>
>Any player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
>Enlightened. Any player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope
>and may never become Enlightened. Any player who is Enlightened is free
>to say what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against
>them, or be burned as a heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all
>others in this rule.

I'm doomed.  Got forehead discrimination on the left, Malenkai says I am
beyond hope on the right, what's a witch to do except for but a fireproof
forhead and declare "The Earth is Round!"

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 01:47:38 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Props 1036-1041 

I didn't recieve P1036-1041 due to a power outage that affected about
250,000 people (half the population of alaska).  I also didn't recieve any
other mail sent after Acka: Official: Vote and before Ackaanomic: Prop
1042.

If anyone has copies of any messages sent during that time could you please
forward them to me?  Thanks.

snowgod
hoping he wasn't selected to judge anything

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 02:26:41 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1045

At 2:03 AM 7/25/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 1045 - Thu Jul 25 02:03:16 EDT 1996
>Just sillier
>this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)
>
>The words "cows eat grass" in the rule entitled "That's just silly" shall
>be replaced with the text of Rule 728.

That's just silly... An example of a recursive loop gone bad :)

My hard drive is not big enought to hold a rule like that.

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 03:06:25 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1037 resent 

At 6:09 AM 7/25/96, [email-masked] () wrote:
>Proposal 1037 - Thu Jul 25 01:59:46 EDT 1996
>Bull Market
>Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
>
>Amend R 818 to make the following changes:
>
>1) Replace all occurrances of the string "A$7" with the string "A$57".

I like the intent of this proposal, but I am a TMBG purist and cannot
fathom prosthetic foreheads being solf for more than A$7.  I will quote
from TMBG "If I were a carpenter I'd hammer on my piglet. I'd collect the
seven dollars and I'd  buy a big prosthetic forhead and wear it on my real
head. Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads"

Thus it is with great sorrow that I cast a vote of NO on P1037

snowgod

Ambassador - Liason to Internomic - Acting Senator (seat c)
Inventor -Senator (seat a) - Heretic (twice) - Former CSRR
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream - Member, None Yet
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Fighting Forehead Discrimination

"Make it idiot-proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 07:58:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: witchhunt

To:   Ackanomians
From: mr cwm

Malenkai wrote:

> For example, I *believe* the Earth is ROUND, but can not *demonstrate*
> that it is :)

prompting, as I'm sure you are aware, this is not a name to call for a
witchhunt, to which Wayne responded:

>I call for all open minds to vote against this witchhunt.  Lets pull Acka
>out of the middleages.  If we stand (and vote) together, we will not
>be branded heritics for our beliefs.

It seems to me that Wayne's strong desire, expressed in a public message,
to "pull out of the middle ages" and prevent the burning of such an
obvious heretic as Malenkai implies, itself, that it may be the case that
the Earth is not flat.  In accord with R729, then, I call for a witchhunt
against Wayne.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:59:27 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Ackanomic: Proposal 1036 

>Proposal 1036 - Thu Jul 25 01:59:33 EDT 1996
>Rock, Creation of
>snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
>
>There exists A Rock To Wind A String Around (henceforth known as the rock).
>The rock may not be owned or controlled by any player, except as specified
>by the rules.  The rock may be manipulated by a vending machine, should
>such a thing exist.
>
>Presently the rock is unowned, and resides in the treasury.

I note that the last sentence of this proposal would _keep_ the rock unowned
unless another rule which takes precedence over "Rock, Creation of"
causes the rock to be owned.  Simply allowing the rock to be owned might
not even be enough, but even if it were, I don't like the unnecessary
precedence mess that would result.  I am afraid I must vote NO on P 1036.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:40:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Appeal 228 ruling

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> 
> The whole point of CFJ 228, and to some extent, CFJ 232, is that the
> rules prescribe a specific procedure for reaching verdicts, just as they
> describle a specific procedure for obtaining a Prosthetic Forehead.
> 
> The issue came down to: Do the rules allow "whim" to be used to adjudicate
> a CFJ (qv original reasoning of CFJ 228), or must a rigorous procedure
> be used, thus allowing for the "knowable but unprovable" proposition.
> To establish this is why I appealed CFJ 228.
> 
> Based on the appeal verdict and reasoning, it seems that game custom has
> been established allowing "spirit of the game", as used in  R 215, to
> allow "belief", and even possibly "whim" to be used to adjudicate "unclear"
> CFJs. That was the point of /dev/joe's CFJ 229. 
> 
> That may be ok; my only contention with the reasoning of CFJ 228 is that it
> may not fall into this case. I will admit that this game custom may allow
> verdicts to be reached easier, and paradox CFJs being judged true less
> likely. I am personally uncomfortable with it, but it is the rules.
> Basically is says "judgement may be used". I guess that is ok.
> 

I think it has to be ok, because it is ultimately unavoidable.  Even a
decision based on a "rigorous procedure" is really based on the *belief*
that we have followed the rigorous procedure.  

This may be the judgement parallel to the problems of
rules-strictconstructionalism.  (Didn't that do a job on the word
wrapper!)  Once again, *something* has to be outside the system.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:46:48 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Duck & run...

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Simon Marty Harriman wrote:

> Tell me about micronomic. I'm Andy really. I used to be Simon Marty Harriman
> of Acka, but I haven't read any of the last 5000 messages or so (since may).
> I am starting a new nomic called Theonomic in August. It isn't quite
> together yet though. I had to get out of Acka though. I still haven't
> officially quit. I feel so guilty for not keeping up and playing, oh well. 
> 

I guess I bought that second Prosthetic Forehead just in time!

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 15:50:18 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official: VOTE!

If I'm on vacation, I'm not any more

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 17:58:02 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Says

It was a heavy night last night in the Den of Iniquity! Why do we
always get drunk after those Church meetings? Stumbling to the
kitchen to make myself some coffee, I fell into a heap of empty beer
cans, and noticed among the debris a battered matchbox. Nothing
special there, but I had used up all the gas in my cigarette lighter
the previous night (to demonstrate to Malenkai what might happen to
him after the witchhunt). I was about to light up a fag, but instead
of matches, I found a marvel of microscopic engineering, who
whispered to me the following:

"                  I am at the beginning of time,
                  I complete the coming of night;
                     I occur twice in eternity,
                   And I am always within sight.

                           What am I? "

I had already dropped the matchbox before I had the presence of mind
to ask Phoebe for the answer, and although the matchbox _must_ be in
here somewhere, I can't find it anywhere. 

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 18:06:03 +0000
From: Bascule <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1041

> Proposal 1041 - Thu Jul 25 02:01:10 EDT 1996
> Protect #2
> snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
> 
> Transmute R106 to Immutable

Isn't it already immutable?

The web page shows it as being mutable, but also says "Transmuted to
Immutable by Proposal 958, Jul 10 1996, by Mohammed (Jason
Orendorff) "

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 14:10:14 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1049

Proposal 1049 - Thu Jul 25 14:10:14 EDT 1996
Killing Two Birds With One Stone
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Amend R729 by replacing it's complete text with the following:

Cows Eat Grass. Contradiction of this fact is Heresy.
If, in a public message, a player refers to  acows eating oats, or
implies that cows eat anything other than grass, any other player may call
for a
Witchhunt, by publically posting that they are doing so.
During the Witchhunt, which lasts 3 days, players send their votes to
the Assistant Tabulator (hereafter referred to as the Witchfinder
General) containing the name of the alleged Heretic. Players can vote
either "No! E said Cows eat grass", or "BURN THE WITCH!"
After the Witchhunt is over, a simple majority (50% or more) will
determine whether or not the alleged Heretic has been burned.The
Witchfinder General will publicly announce the outcome.
If the witch has been burned, e shall enter the Ackanomic afterlife,
should such a place exist. E shall be excommunicated from the Ackanomic
Catholic Church, should such an organisation exist. And e shall lose 10
points.

Any player who has been burned as a heretic for implyong that cows eat
something other than grass exactly once is considered Enlightened. Any
player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope and may never become
Enlightened. Any player who is Enlightened is free to say what they wish,
and may never have a Witchhunt called against them, or be burned as a
heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all others in this rule.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 14:10:29 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1050

Proposal 1050 - Thu Jul 25 14:10:29 EDT 1996
Equal Rights for Foreheads
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

No mutable rule may deny the right of a player wearing a Prosthetic
Forehead to partake in any game action, or entity use.  This rule defers to
any rule regarding other forms of headware.

The Rule claims precedence over all mutable rules which claim precendence
over it, and defers precedence to all mutable rule that defer to it (with
the specific exception of rules regarding headware, which it shall always
defer to)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 14:11:14 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1051

Proposal 1051 - Thu Jul 25 14:11:14 EDT 1996
Mentors (Take II)
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Upon the admittance of a new player into the game, the Registrar
shall randomly select a player from a pool of volunteers to act as a
"mentor" for the new player.

It is the duty of the Registrar to maintain a list of players who
are in the volunteer pool. If there are not enough players in the
volunteer pool to assign a mentor for each new player, the Registrar
may randomly select a player from the general population.

Non-volunteering selectees must publicly accept mentorship within 1 dayor
be assumed to have declined, in which case the registrar must select a new
mentor.

It is the privlidge of a mentor to recieve A$25 from the treasury at the
completion of his mentorship.

The duties of the mentor are as follows:

1) Answer any questions concerning game procedure to the new player.

2) Provide a new player with history and arguements for and against
either side of a proposal in the voting queue upon the new players
request.

3) Provide a new player with information on any matter that requires
his immediate attention [for example, a newly active player who is
required to return judgement]

4) Answer any other questions the new player has concerning the game
of Ackanomic.

The mentor shall be responsible for performing these duties for a
period of two weeks from the day he assigned to the player, or until
the new player declines further services [whichever comes first]

A mentor must always provide information without political or
religious bias.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 14:11:48 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 1052

Proposal 1052 - Thu Jul 25 14:11:46 EDT 1996
snowgod's blizzard
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

{{ snowgod's score is changed to -50 . Any player with a negitive score,
other than snowgod, is set to 36}}

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:05:06 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: RFC: Party Chess 

Ackanomians,

As demonstrated by CFJs 239 and 240, there are already problems with Party
Chess beyond the lack of pieces.  I opposed Party Chess to begin with, but
as long as it passed, I feel I can suggest some remedies.  This RFC describes
a rather extensive rewrite of R 990, and RFCs on some of the other rules will
follow soon.  I would like to submit this within a few days, so your timely
comments will be appreciated.

ThinMan

%%%%%%%

RFC
Swingers Wish They Could Play Around I

Rule 990 shall be amended in the following ways:

The last sentence of Section 2, Part A, shall be replaced with: "Whenever
the rules refer to pieces as being owned by, or property of, a Swinger, the
implied meaning is that they are owned by or property of the Office of the
Swinger."

[As long as I am adressing the more serious problems of R 990, I thought
I would clean up the grammar a little, too.]

The words "this rules" in Section 2, Part A, shall be changed to "this or
other applicable rules."

The words "this rule" in section 2, Part B, shall be changed to "this or
another applicable rule."

[PartyChessPieceDef rules may define methods for capturing pieces other
than those in R 990]

A period shall be inserted directly after the initial "C" of Section 2,
Part C.  The terms "on-board" and "off-board" in Section 2, Part C, shall
each be placed inside double quotation marks [as in this sentence].

Sections 4 and 5 shall be deleted.  [Their functionality is merged into
the rewrite of section 3, below.]

All of Section 3 shall be replaced with the text between the next two "--"
symbols:
- --
3. PartyChessPieceDef rules
 A. A rule is a PartyChessPieceDef rule iff it meets the following criteria:
  i.   It defines exactly one type of piece that can be purchased and used
       in the game of Party Chess.
  ii.  It includes in its title the words "Creation of a PartyChessPiece,"
       followed by the name of the piece it creates.
  iii. It unambiguously defines the legal moves that the piece may make.
       That is, it defines to which empty squares on the board the piece
       may move.
  iv.  It defines a material value for the piece.
  v.   It defines a non-space ASCII character to represent the piece, and
       this character is different from those that represent all the other
       types of pieces.
 B. Unless otherwise stipulated by the relevant PartyChessPieceDef rule, the
    legal moves for each piece are defined relative to that piece's current
    position on the board, and may depend on the positions of other pieces
    on the board.
 C. A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define means different from those defined
    in this rule by which the defined piece may capture opponents' pieces.
    If it does, then this rule defers to that PartyChessPieceDef rule with
    regard to capturing.
 D. A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which a piece is
    promoted or demoted.  If it does not, then there are no conditions
    under which the piece it defines is promoted or demoted.
 E. A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define conditions under which a piece may
    skip over other pieces during its movement.  If it does not, then there
    are no conditions under which the piece it defines may skip over other
    pieces during its movement.
 F. Section 3A of this rule defers to the rule entitled "Creation of a
    PartyChessPiece King."  This rule takes precedence over all
    PartyChessPieceDef rules, except where it explicitly defers.

4. Capturing
 A. A Capture may be performed by PartyChessPiece (1) if another piece (2)
    occupies a square on the board to which (1) could otherwise legally move.
    The Swinger that owns (1) performs a capture on his turn by moving (1)
    to the square occupied by (2) and removing (2) from the board, adding (2)
    to his own collection of off-board pieces.  Piece (2) is then said to
    have been captured.
 B. Section 4A notwithstanding, it is forbidden for a piece to capture a
    friendly piece.

5. There are eight directions in terms of which all moves are defined.
 A. Horizontal: A movement from one square to another one in the same row.
    There are two horizontal directions.
 B. Vertical: A movement from one square to another in the same column.
    There are two vertical directions.
 C. Diagonal: A movement from one square to another such that the number of
    rows moved is the same as the number of columns moved.  There are four
    diagonal directions.
 D. A primitive movement is a movement from one square to another in a
    horizontal, vertical, or diagonal direction.
 E. Every legal move must be defined as a combination of one or more
    primitive movements.  When a piece makes a move, it a legal move, it
    follows the path defined by the primitive movements that make up that
    move.

6. Various definitions
 A. In the context of a Party Chess piece, the capital letters R and C
    represent the row and column, respectively, of the square that that
    piece occupies.
 B. The symbols DestR and DestC represent the the row and column of a
    destination square.
 C. The symbol SQn, where n is a positive integer, specifies the square
    n squares distant from a piece's current square in a given direction.
    Which such symbols are meaningful depends on the piece's current position
    on the board.
 D. The symbol dR represents the absolute value of DestR-R.
 E. The symbol dC represents the absolute value of DestC-C, where the
    difference is computed as the difference of the ASCII codes corresponding
    to DestC and C.
 F. The symbols /AND/, /OR/, /XOR/, and /NOT/, in this and all other rules
    governing Party Chess, represent the logical operators AND, OR, XOR, and
    NOT, respectively.

7. All pieces are Protected.

- --

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 14:08:38 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Says 

Bascule wrote:
>I was about to light up a fag, but instead
>of matches, I found a marvel of microscopic engineering, who
>whispered to me the following:
>
>"                  I am at the beginning of time,
>                  I complete the coming of night;
>                     I occur twice in eternity,
>                   And I am always within sight.
>
>                           What am I? "
>
>I had already dropped the matchbox before I had the presence of mind
>to ask Phoebe for the answer, and although the matchbox _must_ be in
>here somewhere, I can't find it anywhere. 

Don't worry, Bascule; the answer is the letter 't'.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 15:27:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CSRR 4

TO:   Ackanomians
From: CSRR Officer mr cwm

I publish the following suggested changes in the rules as CSR 4, in accord
with R695.  The changes undo the damage done by R703 to the titles of
several rules by removing the previously required phrase "Creation of".
This phrase is unnecessary, and its removal will not affect the game as it
is actually played. 

I wish to thank Malenkai for suggesting these changes, and for suggesting
that they be handled through a CSR, rather picking up easy proposal
points.  It seems a good and classy use of the CSRR Office, and I
recommend it to all.

I feel compelled to remind players that these changes can be prevented by
any objection being posted publicly before the end of the Official Voting
Period, although I hope there will be none.

********

Amend R 306 to change the title from "The Magic Potato, Creation of" to
	"The Magic Potato"

Amend R 355 to change the title from "The Voting Gnome, Creation of" to
	"The Voting Gnome"

Amend R 495 to change the title from "Gumball, Creation of" to
	"Gumball"

Amend R 504 to change the title from "The President of Ackanomia, Creation 
of" to
	"The President of Ackanomia"

Amend R 514 to change the title from "Contracts, Creation of" to
	"Contracts"

Amend R 554 to change the title from "Tammany, Creation of" to
	"Tammany"

Amend R 583 to change the title from "The Ambassador, Creation of" to
	"The Ambassador"

Amend R 593 to change the title from "The Inventor, Creation of" to
	"The Inventor"

Amend R 594 to change the title from "Blueprints, Creation of" to
	"Blueprints"

Amend R 614 to change the title from "Appointer, Creation of" to
	"Appointer"

Amend R 615 to change the title from "Speaker, Creation of" to
	"Speaker"

Amend R 621 to change the title from "Historian, Creation of" to
	"Historian"

Amend R 709 to change the title from "Gaol, Creation of" to
	"Gaol"

Amend R 712 to change the title from "Gaoler, Creation of" to
	"Gaoler"

Amend R 720 to change the title from "R. Institutions" to
	"Institutions"

Amend R 721 to change the title from "R. Organizations" to
	"Organizations"

Amend R 726 to change the title from "R. Party Hall" to
	"Party Hall"

Amend R 762 to change the title from "The Great Trombone of Ackanomia, 
Creation of" to
	"The Great Trombone of Ackanomia"

Amend R 775 to change the title from "Church, Creation of" to
	"Church"

Amend R 786 to change the title from "Gadgets, Creation of" to
	"Gadgets"

Amend R 818 to change the title from "Prosthetic Foreheads, Creation of" to
	"Prosthetic Foreheads"

Amend R 823 to change the title from "The Brass Monkey, Creation of" to
	"The Brass Monkey"

Amend R 826 to change the title from "Acid Rain Dance, Creation of" to
	"Acid Rain Dance"

Amend R 827 to change the title from "The Amber Banana, Creation of" to
	"The Amber Banana"

Amend R 832 to change the title from "Postmaster, Creation of" to
	"Postmaster"

Amend R 839 to change the title from "Buildings, Creation of" to
	"Buildings"

Amend R 840 to change the title from "Library, Creation of" to
	"Library"

Amend R 894 to change the title from "Map, Creation of" to
	"Map"

Amend R 895 to change the title from "Map-Harfer, Creation of" to
	"Map-Harfer"

Amend R 937 to change the title from "Silly Vacation Hat, Creation of" to
	"Silly Vacation Hat"

Amend R 964 to change the title from "Undead, Creation of" to
	"Undead"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 16:01:10 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1041

>Proposal 1041 - Thu Jul 25 02:01:10 EDT 1996
>Protect #2
>snowgod  (Phil Ackley)
>
>Transmute R106 to Immutable

According to my rule set, 106 has been immutable since July 10th.

             this is not a name            [email-masked]
Appointer - Historian - File Clerk - Acting Senator - Priest - Swinger

- --
       Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"I think there are only three things America will be known for 2,000
 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution,
 jazz music, and baseball."          --Gerald Early, 1994
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/        Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 16:01:12 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1038

>Proposal 1038 - Thu Jul 25 01:59:59 EDT 1996
>Enlightenment
>Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
>
>Amend R 729, "Ackanomic Middle Ages", to append the following 
>paragraph at the end of the current text:
>
>Any player who has been burned as a heretic exactly once is considered
>Enlightened. Any player burned more than once, however, is beyond hope
>and may never become Enlightened. Any player who is Enlightened is free
>to say what they wish, and may never have a Witchhunt called against
>them, or be burned as a heretic. This paragraph has precedence over all
>others in this rule.

This is dangerous to the sanctity of the Truth! I call on all players to 
vote NO and put the Heretic Malenkai in his place. This is simply a 
transparent attempt to be allowed to spout Blasphemy. Damn him!

             this is not a name            [email-masked]
Appointer - Historian - File Clerk - Acting Senator - Priest - Swinger

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
   "Either the wallpaper goes or I do." --last words of Oscar Wilde
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 16:01:09 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1044

>Proposal 1044 - Thu Jul 25 02:03:02 EDT 1996
>Honoring Wayne
>Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
>
>{{Wayne is hereby awarded a Blue Cross as recognition for his outstanding
>work for Ackanomic. A parade shall be held in his honor. This rule has
>precedence over all other mutable rules.}}

No slight against Wayne, who's done a great job indeed, but I think that 
Blue Crosses should be reserved for the specific conditions in which they 
are granted by the rules. Therefore I am voting No on this proposal and 
urge others to join me.

             this is not a name            [email-masked]
Appointer - Historian - File Clerk - Acting Senator - Priest - Swinger

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2." --Grabel's Law
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 96 16:01:13 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 1042

snowgod wrote:
>I'm doomed.  Got forehead discrimination on the left, Malenkai says I am
>beyond hope on the right, what's a witch to do except for but a fireproof
>forhead and declare "The Earth is Round!"

Yadda yadda, I call for a witchhunt.

             this is not a name            [email-masked]
Appointer - Historian - File Clerk - Acting Senator - Priest - Swinger

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
  "Let him that would move the world first move himself." --Socrates
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #133
*******************************