Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #118
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Friday, July 19 1996         Volume 01 : Number 118

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 00:50:00 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Score Errors

While trying to put together something resembling a list of all the
score changes for this cycle, I noticed a few errors which affect the
scores at the time the last bond cycle ended.

A "log" of scores, divided into those applied in the posted scores and
those not yet applied, appears on the web page, or go directly to the
score page at http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/scores.html

First, I noticed Kelly Martin lost 10 points at 15:25 EDT on July 8 for not
responding to CFJ 216.  I don't think this was included in Wayne's
score posting.

Then I noticed that the changes due to Props 922 and 924 actually passing
never got changed in the scores.  So, on July 3, at 00:22 EDT, these changes
need to be made:
  +18 Malenkai
  -1 each: Niccolo Flychuck, this is not a name, /dev/joe, mr cwm,
      pTang1001001sos, Wayne, Mohammed
  +2 each: Robin Hood, snowgod, Kelly Martin, Techno
And just 1 minute later for P924:
  +18 Malenkai
  -1 each: Robin Hood, De'ghew, Bascule, snowgod, this is not a name,
      /dev/joe, mr cwm, pTang1001001sos
  +2 each: Niccolo Flychuck, Kelly Martin, Techno, Wayne, Mohammed

The result of this is that Malenkai never actually reached -60 points,
so he never gained the 80 points given for doing this.  (Wayne originally
had this event occurring in the evening of July 3, after Malenkai
appealed some CFJ's and retracted one proposal.  When I re-calculated
the scores, adding in the stuff wayne zeroed out (from the n-wins which
never really happened) I found that malenkai still managed to reach
exactly -60, but much later -- after P941 failed, July 8, 16:54 CDT.
*Still* before the end of the bond period.  With this extra 36 points
for Malenkai, I believe he never got as low as -60.  Due to the quirks
in the rules, by giving Malenkai extra points on July 3rd he actually
ends up with a lower score in the long run. :-o

I note that Malenkai should probably gain a couple more points from
voting for other proposals that failed around the time he quit the
game, but he never contested any except 922 and 924.

Due to other effects, Malenkai probably eventually did reach -60 or below,
after his various appeals, etc., but until we know what happened to
proposals 958 and onward, we won't know.

There's also a score effect from Rule 924; I get some points for putting
links to Godel stuff on the web page.  I didn't have this up when the
rule passed; it wasn't until Malenkai's CFJ (so, sometime on July 12)
that I put the link on the main Ackanomic page to my Godel page.

So the end result is that the scores at the time of the end of the bond
cycle need to be adjusted as follows:
 -44 Malenkai
  -6 Kelly Martin
  -2 this is not a name
  -2 /dev/joe
  -2 mr cwm
  -2 pTang1001001sos
  -1 De'ghew
  -1 Bascule
  +1 Niccolo Flychuck
  +1 Wayne
  +1 Mohammed
  +1 Robin Hood
  +1 snowgod
  +4 Techno

I'm still working on getting the *current* scores together -- we
really can't know the actual current scores until we get all the
proposal results, but I can at least try to keep track of all the
other changes.  I have points for making appeals, frivolous appeals,
points for posting what phoebe said, points for not responding to
being chosen as a judge, points for snowgod's IP of ThinMan failing,
and Magic Potato points.

On the Magic Potato:
Techno had the potato from Jun 24-Jul 1, and Wayne had it Jul 1-8.
Neither had any proposals accepted in this time.
Niccolo Flychuck had it Jul 8-15, and Robin Hood has it now.
Niccolo Flychuck got potato points for proposals 953 and 954 passing
on July 9.
Robin Hood has no potential to gain points from the potato, unless
he makes a proposal and everybody votes on it before I give the
potato to somebody else.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 22:32:58 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Financier Reports 

I planned on saying this before the IP results were released, but didn't
get a chance to.

I just wanted to thank ThinMan for getting the Financial Reports out so
that the financial aspect of game play can continue.

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream
Candidate for Inventor - Candidate for Senator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 01:52:20 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Misc: A couple of things 

Numero Uno -

I've noticed the game slowing down lately.  Is this just a result of
everyone waiting for the return of the Supreme Court appeals before
anything else happens, or is something else going on that I may not be
aware of?  When the results come back, It is my guess that things will pick
up, unless of course One player, One Vote is upheld...

Numero Dos -

I've just got my hands on some VRML modeling software, and have begun
creating a VRML model of ackanomic (complete with all public buildings and
land existing inside the tresury :)  What I am wondering is, how many
players have hardware that CANNOT support VRML?  How many of you would be
interested in playing with this model one it's finished?  Perhaps /dev/joe
could serve it from his web page...

Numero Tres -

Hay no esta el numero tres.

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream
Candidate for Inventor - Candidate for Senator

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:10:10 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Misc: A couple of things

Phil Ackley wrote:
>  
> I've just got my hands on some VRML modeling software, and have begun
> creating a VRML model of ackanomic (complete with all public buildings and
> land existing inside the tresury :)  What I am wondering is, how many
> players have hardware that CANNOT support VRML?  How many of you would be
> interested in playing with this model one it's finished?  Perhaps /dev/joe
> could serve it from his web page...

I'd *love* to do VRML. The whole idea of the map proposals was to move in
that direction eventually; unfortunately, I had neither the time or the
tools to start it myself, but did see it as somewhere down the road.

As for the map, its odd that we have legislated the creation of a senate
building, but not a courthouse. I think we need a courthouse you could
click there and get to the CotC, Supreme Court, and CotC web page, (actually
a court campus with three buildings).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:12:30 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: CFJ 236 Verdict

CFJ 236 has been judged FALSE.
 
Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 236
  Subject:  Blue Cross
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  this is not a name

statement:

Malenkai currently has a Blue Cross

snowgod's Reasoning:

message sent to [email-masked] onSat, 13 Jul 1996 00:47:36
- -0800:

>[shot opens with a full body view of acting senator snowgod standing
>before a massed crowd.  The ackanomic flag flies high in the background.
>As the senator begins to speak, the camera zooms in focusing on his face
>and prosthetic forhead.]
>
>In appreciation for his outstanding service to the game of Ackanomic, the
>passage of 20 or more proposals, I am awarding a Blue Cross to Malenkai.
>I hope this cross provides comfort to malenkai in this time of crises,
>while his previous cross remains locked away in the treasury.  Long live
>ackanomic!
>
>[closing shot of president /dev/joe twidleing his thumbs while ackanomic burns]

this is not a name's reasoning:

Rule 549 reads in part:
>     Blue Crosses and Silver Stripes are awarded by the President, the
>     Proconsul, or a Senator. Each time one is to be awarded, it is
>     created for the occasion by the Frobozz Magic Medal Company,
>     Ackanomic Division.

It is necessary to determine whether snowgod's award of a Blue Cross to
Malenkai was legal, as he was an Acting Senator, not an elected Senator.

Rule 457 in part:
>     While a player is on vacation, the player shall not not be
>     randomly selected for anything. The player shall also not be
>     chosen to perform any task. The duties of any offices held by the
>     player shall be performed by the Speaker or someone appointed by
>     the Speaker.

It remains to be determined whether the awarding of a Blue Cross is a
duty of the office of Senator.

No rule formally defines the duties of a Senator. The closest any rule
comes is 609, which describes in general what can be considered the
duties, privileges, etc. of offices. To quote from that rule:

>     (ii)  Duties:
>
>            The Duties of an Office are the tasks that the
>            Officer(s) are expected to carry out to facilitate
>            the conduct of Ackanomic business.  Duties tend to
>            be typified by the compilation, maintenance, and
>            distribution of information.

The awarding of a Blue Cross is not concerned with facilitating the
conduct of Ackanomic business, nor does it have anything to do with
compiling, maintaining, or distributing information.

>     (iii) Privileges:
>
>            The Privileges of an Office are the considerations
>            the Officer(s) receive according to the Rules
>            regulating the Office.  Examples can include the
>            receipt of Ackanomic currency, the ability to cast
>            extra votes in certain circumstance, or special
>            consideration with regards to making appointments
>            or issuing CFJ decisions.

The ability of a Senator to award a Blue Cross can be considered to be a
Privilege of that office, as it fits better into this category than into
the category of Duties. Although there is nothing preventing an action
from simultaneously being a duty and a privilege (cf. CFJ 223), there is
no reason to believe that awarding a Blue Cross is a duty of a Senator,
particularly because it can be performed by several officers. Therefore I
judge false on this CFJ.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:13:51 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Score Errors 

I have corrected the accounts and bond yields based on the errata that
/dev/joe published.  The only player whose account changed by more than
a few points was Malenkai, whose account was corrected downwards by A$ 25.

I will be out of town for the weekend, and I will publish the new bond
yields and accounts, including the next bond cycle, when I return.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 20:59:26 EDT 
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Acka: Misc

>From the Desk of Habeous Corpus:

As a newcomer to Acka,  I would like to point out a couple of
observations that have apparently been overlooked in the discussions I
have seen in recent postings.

In the matter of the Impeachment of Thin Man;  I have seen two basic
arguments for Impeachment,  both related to the same clause in the Rules.
 The first deals with an attempt to collect _money_ from a corperation
located in the USA.  The second deals with the failure to publish reports
of the Players'  financial accounts. While I am not now,  nor expect to
be called as a Judge on this matter,  everyone else seems to be given to
an opinion on the subject,  so I'll throw in my A$.02...

As far as the failure to collect,  I have heard some sound legal
reasoning in defense of Thin Man,  but I still think there is a more
fundamental issue at stake here.  Acka is a sovereign entity,  as much so
as the USA.  In order to enforce a monetary collection between two
sovereign states,  some treaty or diplomatic engine must exist between
the two states to enforce collections of any kind.  So far,  I can find
no such engine or treaty in the Rules,  and I am aware of no such entity
in existance in the USA.  Therefore,  after a polite request from the
Office or corperate entity involved,  there is nothing legally that _can_
be accomplished by the Financier to collect the _money_.  Also,  albight
a little more prosaic (Prosac?),  is the matter of currency conversion. 
$US are worthless in Acka;  I can find no record of currency conversion
anywhere in the Rules.  Granted,  there are a LOT of Rules,  if anyone is
aware of any which contradict my reasoning, please feel free to correct
me.

That leaves the failure to post financial records.  As I read the Rules, 
there is no explicit Rule or statement that compels Thin Man or anyone
else to post a financial report.  However,  there is a requiremt that
states < The financier is also responsible for making sure the records of
every transaction are publicly available...>  Whether this is done
through a financial report or some other means,  the Financier must still
make available to the public - that is all Players - the current state of
Acka finances.  ( <every transaction> is subject to a lot of
interpretation here.)  I have heard many complaints from players that ey
do not know the current status of eir portfolios.  While this may not be
Thin Man's fault,  there does,  on the surface,  seem to be a breakdown
in the conduit between the Financier's Office and the general public of
Acka.  I leave the exact interpretation of this Rule,  and thin Man's
fate in the hands of the Supreme Court.  [I'm too chicken]

Respectively,
Habeous Corpus

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:16:42 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 201 Verdict

CFJ 201 has been judged FALSE. 

I note, that with the exception of the CFJs appealed to the Supreme Court,
no others are outstanding at this time :). Time for a CotC vacation.
(There is one other exception, actually, that CFJ never judged from the
140s that Mohammed never released, which I'll have to release if my Speed
proposal passes).

I also note there is a proposal in the queue which will allow Invalid
judgements for things like this.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 201
  Subject:  R666 Paradox win, AGAIN
Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
    Judge:  Mohammed (declined to judge)
2nd Judge:  Wayne (failed to respond)
3rd Judge:  De'ghew

Statement:

The legality of the following action:
"/dev/joe creates Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice"
cannot be determined with finality.  I thereby
claim a paradox win under R219.

pTang1001001sos's Reasoning:

When /dev/joe was declared a winner,
R666 "kicked in".  Upon application of clause
(c), R666 starts over again.  In effect, the
process described in R666 is being continuously
launched ad infinitum.

I argue that it is impossible to determine, at any
given moment, whether /dev/joe is in possession
of a Right Handed Grapefruit(RHG), since he is being
awarded RHGs and they are also being "eliminated"
each time the R666 process is carried out.

Note that a new R666 process is being launched every
time clause (c) of the previous R666 process is
executed, so it is impossible to say when the newest
RHG is being awarded relative to the last "elimination"
of all RHGs.

It's a total mess.  I defy anyone to determine whether
/dev/joe has a RHG that he can squeeze.

De'ghew's reasoning:

        R589, "Invoking Judgement" says: "Any CFJ must include a single,
clear, and clearly labeled statement. . ."  This CFJ includes two
statements for judgement and is therefore invalid by R589.
        In the absence of rules dictating how invalid CFJ's should be
ruled, this court returns the judgment of false as suggested by game
custom, established in CFJ215.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:01:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Mad Hatter (De'ghew)

Robert Sevin is delinquent in posting a design for chess piece face's
silly vacation hat, so he loses 3 points.

The new Mad Hatter for chess piece face is De'ghew.  He has 3 days
to post a SVH design.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 23:03:05 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Official: Vacation 

I am now placing myself on vacation.  I expect to return from vacation
some time Monday.

ThinMan

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #118
*******************************