Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #117
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Thursday, July 18 1996        Volume 01 : Number 117

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 02:18:15 -0500
From: Kelly Martin <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: Acka: IP #2 

"Phil" == Phil Ackley <[email-masked]> writes:

Phil> 1) determined (against the better judgement of the players) that
Phil> no further effort should be made to collect the coke is it!
Phil> money from coca-cola (perhaps, simply to conceal your
Phil> embarrasment at harrasing a huge company with such a trivial
Phil> request?)

"better judgement of the players"?  just who have you asked?

in _my_ opinion, it would be ludicrous for ThinMan to pester Coke any
further.  in fact, continued correspondance might very well end up
with ThinMan, /dev/joe, and any number of other Players sued for
trademark infringement, amongst other things (ref. 15 USC 1051 et
seq).

Coca-Cola has no legal obligation to pay anybody anything for the
unsolicited use of their trademark; in fact, they have the legal right
to demand that we cease doing so and to demand monetary damages for
having done so.  all cuteness aside, "coke is it!<tm>" is legally a
very shaky thing, and has long outlived any cuteness it may have had.
i fully support ThinMan's determination that no further action is
warranted.

k.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 02:36:11 -0500
From: Kelly Martin <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Game Custom Overhaul 

"Malenkai" == Malenkai  <[email-masked]> writes:

Malenkai> A problem aries that some people take a quite literal
Malenkai> interpretation of the rules, whereas others use
Malenkai> "custom". One can be called "nit-picking" by some folks, the
Malenkai> other can be called "handwaving" by other folks.

i do not believe that it is correct to call the practice of
overlooking the most accurate direct reading of a Rule because it
either differs from the intent of the rule or its historical
application "using custom".  "using custom" is how one interprets
Rules which have _no_ most clearly accurate direct reading.  the
invocation of "game custom" to advocate an interpretation of a Rule
which the Rule itself does not support is just plain wrong, and
violates Rule 101 (imo).

Game Custom, ideally, fills the gaps where the Rules are silent, and
less ideally disambiguates the Rules when they are unclear.  Game
Custom _never_ overrides the clear and direct meaning of a Rule (when
the Rule has a clear and direct meaning).

k.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 00:00:30 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: IP #2

At 2:18 AM 7/17/96, Kelly Martin wrote:
>"Phil" == Phil Ackley <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>
>Phil> 1) determined (against the better judgement of the players) that
>Phil> no further effort should be made to collect the coke is it!
>Phil> money from coca-cola (perhaps, simply to conceal your
>Phil> embarrasment at harrasing a huge company with such a trivial
>Phil> request?)
>
>"better judgement of the players"?  just who have you asked?

The better judgement of the players who passed the rule.

>in _my_ opinion, it would be ludicrous for ThinMan to pester Coke any
>further.  in fact, continued correspondance might very well end up
>with ThinMan, /dev/joe, and any number of other Players sued for
>trademark infringement, amongst other things (ref. 15 USC 1051 et
>seq).
>

The it is the duty of the financier to try and repeal Coke is it! so that
he is not in violation of that rule.  The fact is, the rules give his
office a task, and if does not like that task he should work to change the
rules, not ignore the task.

>Coca-Cola has no legal obligation to pay anybody anything for the
>unsolicited use of their trademark...

This is true, and has been tru since the rule was passed.  Coca-Cola has
never had a reason to pay any of us any money, regardless of what our
ruleset says.  I agree with at least that much.

>k.

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 03:03:29 -0500
From: Kelly Martin <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Acka: Misc: What Phoebe Says

while cleaning up after the rather messy occupants of my humble abode,
i happened upon a device which rather resembled a matchbox.  a strange
thing to find indeed, as i forbid smoking in my residence, and have a
neato lighter with a six-inch neck for lighting candles and the like.
out of curiosity, i opened the matchbox.  a small creature, the nature
of which i was not able to determine, popped out of the matchbox, took
one look at me, screamed "YOU!" in the shrillest voice i have ever
heard, and disappeared (along with the matchbox-like object) in a
puff of rather unpleasant-smelling blue-green smoke.

i can only presume that this was the legendary Phoebe, of which i have
heard a great deal.  i am completely at a loss as to why Phoebe, if
this was indeed Phoebe, chose not to share her wisdom with me.  or,
perhaps, she did....

k.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 03:09:01 -0500
From: Kelly Martin <[email-masked]> 
Subject: Re: Acka: IP #2 

"Phil" == Phil Ackley <[email-masked]> writes:

Phil> The it is the duty of the financier to try and repeal Coke is
Phil> it! so that he is not in violation of that rule.  The fact is,
Phil> the rules give his office a task, and if does not like that task
Phil> he should work to change the rules, not ignore the task.

let's see here.

"The Financier must bill the Coca-Cola Company USD$16,209.62 as
promotional consideration, taking any legal measures e deems
appropriate to recover this sum."

the Financier has billed the Coca-Cola Company--or at least, so we
have been told.  i do not believe this is in dispute.

ThinMan has stated what he believes are the legal measures e deems
appropriate, and has implemented them.  therefore, ThinMan is in
complete compliance with Rule 706.  you may disagree with what is
appropriate, but Rule 706 does not say "taking any legal measure which
are appropriate to recover this sum".  Rule 706, as i read it, makes
the Financier's determination in this matter final.

k.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 01:59:01 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Steel Flea Gazette (Volume 1, Issue 2) 

Ackanomic Steel Flea Gazette
Volume 1 - Issue 2

This issue of the Gazette contains:
NEWS - VIEWS - FINANCIAL NEWS - INTERNOMIC NEWS

*_*_*NEWS*_*_*

FON IMPEACHED FROM SENATE

Senate (AckP) - fon was impeached from the Senate monday, making him the
first player in ackanomic to be legally impeached from office.  The
Impeachment Papers filed by Malenkai stated that fon knew his vacation was
going to be an extended one and that he should have resigned from office
before leaving.

14 players voted on the impeachment of fon.  13 voted in favor of the
impeachment.  The sole opposing voice was from this is not a name who
provided no reasoning for his opposition.  A nomination for the Senate Seat
formerly held by fon is now underway.

Before the impeachment of fon, the only other attempt at the impeachment of
an officer was the failed removal of Calvin N Hobbes from the office of the
Financier.  The player initiating the IP claimed that CnH was abusing his
authority by attempting to shut down the Finacial Market during the turmoil
of Robert Sevin's first win.

ONE PLAYER, ONE VOTE APPEALED

Supreme Court (AckP) - In a controversial decision, De'ghew returned a
verdict of TRUE on CFJ 220, which claimed that each player may only vote
once per game.  In the Judge's Comments, De'ghew said "It appears that the
rules do not reflect the game custom that players may vote once on each
proposal. Since the rules must take precedence over game custom, this court
has no choice but to rule this CFJ TRUE."

The verdict was hotly contested, however.

this is not a name said "This is absurd. In the US we have a principle of
one man, one vote. That doesn't mean that everyone gets one vote in his/her
life. Besides, the phrasing of 390 makes it clear that every player has one
vote at all times, not that the vote is taken away when the player votes."
He went on to quote Webster's New Word Dictionary stating that a vote is
"the right to exercise such a decision or choice; suffrage."

Nicolo Flychuck said that the verdict was "ludicrous" and expressed his
amazement at what he considered to be an "obviously erroneous (sp?) use of
the English language."

Judge De'ghew, in a rebuttle to th charges leveled at him said "I have
little doubt that the CFJ220 verdict will be overturned by the Supreme
Court.  Indeed, I hope it is.  I also hope that the Supreme  Court will
hand down satisfactory reasoning with its verdict.  I'm sure their verdict
will be in accordance with the rules, whether or not it is best for the
game."

The promoter has not distrbuted voting results, and says that he will not
until the matter is cleared up. The Supreme Court is due to return a
verdict on the appeal by July 19.  Rumor on the street is that the verdict
will be overturned, but until that happens, the state of Ackanomic remains
in limbo.

ROBERT SEVIN ADORES HIS HAT

Robert Sevin's House (AckP) - Robert Sevin began wearing his SillY Vacation
Hat this week, making him the first of the permenant vacationers to do so.
After thanking his personal Mad Hatter, ThinMan, for devising him such a
wonderful hat, Robert Sevin extolled the virtues of his 112 pound piece of
headwear.

Robert Sevin announced that he plans to introduce legislation that would
allow him to keep his Hat for longer than the two weeks alloted to him by
the rules, as he admires it so.

Perhaps it is the recent addition of the penguin to the other aquatic life
that resides in his hat which inspires these feeling of contenment in the
former President, or perhaps it is just the titanium re-enforced silk chin
strap (as he claimed in his admiration) but it is clear the Robert Sevin
truly loves his Silly Vacation Hat!

IMPEACHMENT PAPERS FILED AGAINST THINMAN

Free Market (AckP) - With the second IP distributed last week, snowgod
called for the removal of ThinMan from the Office of the Financier.
Stating that "ThinMan has been negligent in performing his duties as
Financier", snowgod argued that thinman should be removed from office
because "He has not made a good faith effort to determine the account
balance of the players (in either thread), nor has he posted information
concerning the value of PFbonds in any thread."

ThinMan responded by saying"As I read the rules, only the second allegation
above would be, if true, a failure to carry out the duties of the OotF.
The other two allegations, although true, do not describe failures to
perform the duties snowgod lists below."

ThinMan claims that the Financier is not required by the rules to provide
reports on the status of accounts, but rather that previous accounting
reports were issued by CnH per habit.

snowgod is confident that the impechment of ThinMan from the OotF will
succeed though.  "We've proved that it can be done with fon, now let's hope
that it can done in this case, a case where it is badly needed."

*_*_*VIEWS*_*_*

"Man on the Street" Interview
Downtown Ackanomic City

A special to the Steel Flea Gazette from pTang1001001sos

Amid all the political wrangling and policy debate, it is all too easy for
us to overlook the little people, the workers who bring to reality the
dictums of the Players of Ackanomic. I had the good fortune to speak with a
few of these good folk, and find out some of the issues that are important
to them.

pT: "I want to thank you two for taking time out of your busy days to share
your views with our readers."

A: "Always have time for a Player."

pT: "What are your names?"

A: "You're the Player. What do you want them to be?"

pT: "Ummmm. I guess I'll go with A and B."

B: "Hey, sure, don't bother with anything creative. It's just our names."

A(to B): "Don't mouth off to the Players!"

pT: "Ummm, right. OK, what is a typical Ackanomic day for you like?"

A: "Well, there's really no such thing. We're called in any time a
structure or entity needs to be built. Our job's different from day to
day."

pT: "And has that been an interesting job so far?"

A: "Oh, sure. I especially like the gadgets that the Inventor designs for
us to build. We're almost ready for field trials on the Pyraic Frobnotzer.
That'll be a real hoot."

B: "I like the construction. It's a real challenge to put together a
building that respects the Three Laws."

pT: "I've never heard of such a thing. That's not in the Rules, is it?"

B: "Well, do you mind if I get a little theoretical here? OK. First there's
the Law of Specificity. That means that if you Players choose to specify
some physical aspect of an entity, we've got to follow it."

pT: "Sure. Seems straightforward. Why is there more to it than that?"

B: "These things are just theoretical constructs to you Players, but we
_live_ here. You can't just have a theoretical building sitting next-door.
It puts people off. So we've got ways of making entities real in our
Ackanomic world and yet consistant with the theoreticals that you Players
lay out."

pT: "I'm not sure I grasp that entirely."

A: "I guess you have to be an acka-entity."

B: "Allow me to continue. The Law of Function says that we need to have the
entity respect the fact that a Player might be able to change some aspect
of an entity as deliniated in the Rules."

pT: "So it has to work the way the Rules state."

B: "Yeah, but there's more to it. It also can't do anything that would be
prohibited by the Rules. And on top of all that, we need to follow the Law
of Will."

A: "That's the biggie."

pT: "Please explain."

A: "The Law of Will says that we need to make the device so that if a
Player just simply chooses to change some aspect of the entity, he can do
so unless it's prohibited by the Rules."

B: "That's a real pain, let me tell you."

pT: "Why is that?"

B: "Well, take that building over there for example."
(B points to the Senate)

pT: "A real sumptuous place, alright."

B: "Yeah, but what does the building look like?"

pT: "You see it. It's a white marble job, Greek architecture, open forum in
the center, the whole bit."

A: "That's the way we see it, too. But that's only because we're with you
right now. You might be suprised to know that each Player has eir own
vision of what that Senate looks like."

B: "The Senate has to be able to change every aspect of itself each time a
Player wills it to be something different."

pT: "Huh?"

A: "Try it. Imagine the Senate as a being an ivy-covered brick building."

(I do so, and the building changes form)

pT: "Wow. Nice work."

B: "Thanks. Not bad for a rush-job. We only had a week of warning that the
whole downtown area would need to be built."

pT: "Hey, about this Law of Will. That makes us Players pretty powerful,
doesn't it?"

B: "Masters of a theoretical world, yippee."

pT: "I'm sorry, what was that?"

A (glaring at B): "He says that you should try it out some more."

pT: "Like what? What should I do next?"

B: "How about you imagine that both of us get back to work, and the
interview ends?"

*_*_*FINANCES*_*_*

FINANCIAL STATUS STILL UNCLEAR

Free Market (AckP) - The state of Ackanomic Finances is still unclear,
althought the n win situation has been resolved.  It has been over one
month since the Financier or his assistants have released any detailed
financial information.

The Financier, in a public statement declared "...I note for the record,
that with all of the game-winning and PFBond cycles being reset by R666,
only one complete bond cycle has passed during the last month..." but has
so far failed to release any information regarding the actual value of
PFbonds.

Many players are becoming frustrated at the inabilty to check their account
balances.  Speaker Malenkai said "I have no idea how much money I have, and
things have not been updated for a month!"

*_*_*INTERNOMIC*_*_*

INTERNOMIC PLAY DELAYED

Internomic Realms (AckP) - Internomic play, which was scheduled to begin
this week, will be delayed for at least one more week.

Andre Engels, one of the Founding Fathers of Internomic, said "Due to
problems concerning Liaisonship within Thring, the Internomic game will
probably start some time next week, instead of this week as I had planned
before. Starting members will be Thring, Agora, AckaNomic and Imperial
Nomic 14.

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:15:01 +0200
From: Niklas Mellin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Vacation

I am going on vacation today. I will be back in about 3 weeks.
Until then I wish you all best of luck with all the crises,
CFJ, appeals, rules and everything else.

I will post a message when I come back.

/Mellon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:35:14 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: IP #2 

snowgod wrote:
>The fact remains that for over a month players have had no clear
>understanding of where their accounts stand in any thread.  My arguement
>for impeachment consists of a violation of the duties of the financier,
>plus supporting arguments.  The rule clearly states that if the players are
>not happy with the job that the financier has been preforming, they may
>impeach him.  Any unhappiness is grounds for impeachment, and you have
>given us plenty to be unhappy about.
>
>You _have not_ :
>
>1) informed players of the balance of their accounts.
>
>2) made any attempt to calculate account balances (in the most probable
>thread, or any other)
>
>3) calculated the value of PFbonds (with or without the n win scenario)
>
>4) delegated any of these duties to an assistant so that it may be done.

True.

>You _have_:
>
>1) determined (against the better judgement of the players) that no further
>effort should be made to collect the coke is it! money from coca-cola
>(perhaps, simply to conceal your embarrasment at harrasing a huge company
>with such a trivial request?)

Also true.  If you look, however, you will find that I was one of the few
players who voted against "Coke Is It" in the first place, even though I
was not Financier at the time.  I never thought that any part of that rule
was appropriate in any way, except inasmuch as the legal requirements that
it makes of the Financier must be followed.  It has nothing to do with
embarrassment.

>>>...The Financier will report directly to the Players concerning his
>>>handling of the job, especially on matter concerning his decisions in
>>>resolving disagreements...
>>
>>I do not interpret this as a directive to issue reports, but rather a
>>declaration of the accountability of the office -- that is, he must answer
>>to the players.
>
>I believe you interpreation here is incorrect.  The goal of this section is
>to provide a directive to isssue reports (or maintain a web page?) or
>someother means of keeping the players in touch with the ackanomic
>financial beat.  The sections that describe your accountabilty to the
>players are the ones which follow:
>
>>>...The Financier is publicly accountable and can be voted out of office by
>>>two thirds of the votes of the Players. The Financier may also resign...
>>>
>>>...Should any player disagree with the Financier's
>>>decision, he/she may call a CFJ to impeach the Financier on that matter
>>>until it is dropped or a rule is passed clearing up the situation....

There are two undisputed clauses that describe the Financier's accountability,
but that does not preclude a third.  The clause that you claim requires
periodic publication of account reports says nothing about the accounts at
all, rather I must report "concerning [my] handling of the job," which is, in
fact, precisely what I am doing now.

If you are unhappy with my performance, then it appears that you are within
your rights to attempt to remove me from the office.  I am _well_ within
my rights, however, when I argue my case against such action.

ThinMan
Financier, at the moment

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:04:05 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re: Acka: IP #2 

snowgod wrote:
>>Phil> 1) determined (against the better judgement of the players) that
>>Phil> no further effort should be made to collect the coke is it!
>>Phil> money from coca-cola (perhaps, simply to conceal your
>>Phil> embarrasment at harrasing a huge company with such a trivial
>>Phil> request?)
>>
>>"better judgement of the players"?  just who have you asked?
>
>The better judgement of the players who passed the rule.

You seem to be saying that those players who voted for the rule believe
that further action is appropriate, by virtue of the fact that they voted
for the rule originally.  That seems to me a wholly inadequate argument.
For instance, I am sure that some players supported it in part because it
leaves the actions to be taken up to the Financier.  There is also no
guarantee that players who originally voted for the rule still support it.
There are certainly no grounds for determining that the players who voted
for the rule all think that further action is appropriate.

>>in _my_ opinion, it would be ludicrous for ThinMan to pester Coke any
>>further.  in fact, continued correspondance might very well end up
>>with ThinMan, /dev/joe, and any number of other Players sued for
>>trademark infringement, amongst other things (ref. 15 USC 1051 et
>>seq).
>
>The it is the duty of the financier to try and repeal Coke is it! so that
>he is not in violation of that rule.  The fact is, the rules give his
>office a task, and if does not like that task he should work to change the
>rules, not ignore the task.

The Financier is not in violation of the rule, as I thought I had clearly
demonstrated.  The Rules assign his office a task, and leave the parameters
of that task entirely at the discretion of the officer -- not even requiring
any further action whatsoever, depending on the Financier's opinion on the
matter.  For that reason, and because of the large majority by which the
rule originally passed (which, I think, had something to do with players
not wanting to be out in the cold if Coca Cola actually paid), I have not
attempted to appeal the rule, although I have added its repeal to the Nobs
agenda.  Now that you mention it, however, I feel a proposal coming on.

>>Coca-Cola has no legal obligation to pay anybody anything for the
>>unsolicited use of their trademark...
>
>This is true, and has been tru since the rule was passed.  Coca-Cola has
>never had a reason to pay any of us any money, regardless of what our
>ruleset says.  I agree with at least that much.

Then you understand why I feel that no further action is appropriate to
attempt to recover the sum that CnH was required to bill Coca Cola for.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:21:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: mr cwm <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC: Game Custom Overhaul 

On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Kelly Martin wrote:

[snip]
> Game
> Custom _never_ overrides the clear and direct meaning of a Rule (when
> the Rule has a clear and direct meaning).
> 

Even the "clear and direct meaning of a Rule" is the result of an
interpretation of some sort, even if only an interpretation according
to the game custom that rules are in English.

- -mr cwm

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:51:43 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Blueprints 

The Steel Flea Gazette reminded me to take a quick look at gadgets.  I
therefore note that because the Blueprints for the Plunky Monkey Wrench
and the Pyraic Frobnotzer were lonely when Mohammed left the office of
Inventor, R594 dictates that those Blueprints were destroyed at that time.

The Blueprints for the Electronic Potato and Scroll of Crumble remain.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 13:11:14 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Phoebe (Brinjal), registrarness

Phoebe's matchbox was just found by Brinjal.

A new observer joined us today, Ben Stanfield, who asked to have his game-
related mail sent to his AOL account:  [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:32:14 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Official: Bonds 

There has been some debate concerning how I am handling the Financier's job.
I truly hope to not be impeached, but whatever happens will happen.  Whether
or not I am impeached, you may be interested in the latest bond yields,
effective 7/8/96:

   Acka Name      Last Score       "Current" Score      Yield, A$
      /dev            0                 58                58
    Bascule           0                 14                14
    Brinjal           0                  5                 5
     Calvin           0                 -1                -1
     chess            0                  0                 0
    De'ghew           0                -11                -6
      fon             0                  0                 0
    Habeous           0                  0                 0
     Kelly            0                  6                 6
    Malenka           0                  5                 5
     Mellon           0                  0                 0
       mr             0                  5                 5
    Niccolo           0                 10                10
     Pascal           0                -20               -10
    pTang10           0                 14                14
     Robert           0                  0                 0
     Robin            0                  0                 0
     Simon            0                  0                 0
    snowgod           0                -13                -7
     Techno           0                 15                15
      The             0                  0                 0
    ThinMan           0                  4                 4
      this            0                 20                20
     Wayne            0                -42               -21

ThinMan
still Financier, for the time being

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:38:41 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Acka: Official: Accounts 

Ackazens,

Here are the financial account details for all the active players.  This should
be fully up-to-date.  The most recent bond yields are posted seperately.  I
would like to thank /dev/joe for substantial assistance in collecting the
data I required to perform these latest computations, particularly the
bond yields based on scores as of 7/8/96, the end date of the last bond cycle.

ThinMan
still Financier, for now

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

List of accounts as of 7/17/96

- ---------
Stats:
Ackadollars in circulation:
A$ 15,769

Average Per Player:
A$ 657

Treasury:
A$ 59,231

I have also done an inventory, and found that all of the following entities
in the treasury, each owned by no player:

1 Blue Cross (formerly Malenkai's), prominantly displayed in a small but
very tasteful glass-front case in the main display hall.

The Gumball, carefully sealed in a ziplock bag and hidden in a drawer of
the reception desk.

The Voting Gnome, patiently waiting in his dingy little appartment for his
Buddy to come tell him how to vote.

Tammany, relaxing in bed in her tastefully decorated appartment, waiting for
the mailman.

Phoebe, in her matchbox, on a shelf in the otherwise unoccupied kennel.

The Fat Lady, reclining on the sofa in her sumptuous (soundproofed) suite.

An endless supply and endless variety of Prosthetic Foreheads, packed like
sardines into the storage room in the basement.

The Brass Monkey, eating his fill of ordinary yellow bananas in a small
room near the back door.

The Map of Ackanomia, covering a large portion of one wall of the main
display hall.

The Rules of Ackanomic, the Proposals of Ackanomic, the Judgements of
Ackanomic, the only two Blueprints currently in existence, and every other
legal document of Ackanomic, all on display in the document room.

Game custom, written on the walls of the document room.

The Ackanomic Afterlife, the Senate Building, the Free Market, the Treasury,
the Gaol, the Library, and every other public building, all located in the
Recursion Room along with the land they are located upon.

Scads of PFs of fromer players, stored in an otherwise disused broom closet.

An infinite number of points, stored in a bin in the vault.

The Great Trombone of Ackanomia, Somewhere Else.

There may also be a few other things in here that I missed, but I hope you'll
forgive me -- as you can see, taking inventory proved to be exhausting.

- --------

Name of Player [Acka Name]
A$xxx		nnn PFxxx       Other entities

/dev/joe
A$880 		100 PF/dev      Prosthetic Forehead

Bascule
A$860 		100 PFBascule

Brinjal
A$561		100 PFBrinjal

Calvin N Hobbes
A$468		100 PFCalvin

chess piece face
A$463		100 PFchess

De'ghew
A$613   	100 PFDe'ghew

fon
A$530		100 PFfon

Habeous Corpus
A$900           100 PFHabeous

Kelly Martin
A$462           100 PFKelly

Malenkai
A$908 		100 PFMalenka   Prosthetic Forehead

Mellon
A$900           100 PFMellon

mr cwm
A$568 		100 PFmr

Niccolo Flychuck
A$519		100 PFNiccolo   Scroll of Crumble, Prosthetic Forehead

Pascal
A$502           100 PFPascal

pTang1001001sos
A$914           100 PFpTang10

Robert Sevin
A$515		100 PFRobert

Robin Hood
A$756 		100 PFRobin

Simon Marty Harriman
A$491		100 PFSimon

snowgod
A$453		100 PFsnowgod   Electronic Potato, Prosthetic Forehead

Techno
A$734		100 PFTechno

The Great Old One
A$448		100 PFThe

ThinMan
A$790 		100 PFThinMan

this is not a name
A$743 		100 PFthis

Wayne
A$791 		100 PFWayne
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 14:44:06 -0500
From: [email-masked] (John Bollinger)
Subject: Re:  Acka: Official: Accounts 

One note about the account listing: the entities I have listed as owned by
various players are not intended to constitute an exhaustive list.  I
included mainly items that I considered potentially salable.

ThinMan

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 15:22:48 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Postmaster

Just as a reminder to everybody out there, if you need to find messages
that were sent to the Ackanomic list anytime in recent history, you can
find them in digest form in the FTP archive.  (Anonymous) FTP to
wilma.che.utexas.edu and cd to /acka/ackanomic-digest/
If you know what day the messages were sent you can grab the digests for
that day.  Note that the time & date marked on each digest is the time
the digest was created, shortly after the last message included in the
digest reached wilma.  All times are U.S. Central Daylight Time (-0500).
The list automatically generates a digest each night at midnight, so the
digest dated Jul 14 00:00 contains the messages from the later part of
July 13th.  Sometimes that is the only digest generated in a day, so it
contains all the previous day's messages.

The older digests were moved to 96jun and 96may sub-directories to reduce
the length of the list of files in the main directory.

In other business, I am working on updating the web page for scores; in any
case, the scores from cycles 1-4 are available as links at the bottom of
the scores page.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 18:34:43 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate Election

The Nomination period for Senator (fon's seat) is over. The following
candidate(s) have volunteered, from which one will be elected:

	Kelly Martin
        snowgod

The election for the office of Senator ends Sat, Jul 21, 19:00 EDT.
Send votes to [email-masked]. Elections are regulated by R 611.

Good luck to all the candidates!

Malenkai
Acting Appointer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 18:36:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Appointer Election

The Nomination period for Appointer is over. The following
candidate(s) have volunteered, from which one will be elected:

	this is not a name

The election for the office of Appointer ends Sat, Jul 21, 19:01 EDT.
Send votes to [email-masked]. Elections are regulated by R 611.

Good luck to all the candidates!

Malenkai
Acting Appointer

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 96 21:49:16 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Senate Endorsement

I am pleased to endorse snowgod for fon's old Senate seat. He has shown 
himself to be a highly competent, creative and skilled player, and I wish 
him luck in this election.

Votes should be sent to <[email-masked]>.

this is not a name
[email-masked]
Delinquent Historian
File Clerk
Acting Senator
Priest, Church of the Markovian Dream
Party Hall Swinger for (None Yet)

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"I don't make jokes.  I just watch the government and report the facts."
                                       --Will Rogers
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:03:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 201 (De'ghew)

Wayne failed to respond to CFJ. As required by R 691, he is declared
a deadbeat judge. It has been reassigned to De'ghew.
 
Note that this is being reassigned because CFJ 215 requires it to
be; it was originally deamed invalid by R 589.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 201
  Subject:  R666 Paradox win, AGAIN
Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
    Judge:  Mohammed (declined to judge)
2nd Judge:  Wayne (failed to respond)
3rd Judge:  De'ghew

Statement:

The legality of the following action:
"/dev/joe creates Right-Handed Grapefruit Juice"
cannot be determined with finality.  I thereby
claim a paradox win under R219.

pTang1001001sos's Reasoning:

When /dev/joe was declared a winner,
R666 "kicked in".  Upon application of clause
(c), R666 starts over again.  In effect, the
process described in R666 is being continuously
launched ad infinitum.

I argue that it is impossible to determine, at any
given moment, whether /dev/joe is in possession
of a Right Handed Grapefruit(RHG), since he is being
awarded RHGs and they are also being "eliminated"
each time the R666 process is carried out.

Note that a new R666 process is being launched every
time clause (c) of the previous R666 process is
executed, so it is impossible to say when the newest
RHG is being awarded relative to the last "elimination"
of all RHGs.

It's a total mess.  I defy anyone to determine whether
/dev/joe has a RHG that he can squeeze.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:06:49 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 236 (tinan)

this is not a name has been chosen for CFJ 236, and has 3 days to
respond.
 
Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 236
  Subject:  Blue Cross
Initiator:  snowgod
    Judge:  this is not a name

statement:

Malenkai currently has a Blue Cross

snowgod's Reasoning:

message sent to [email-masked] onSat, 13 Jul 1996 00:47:36
- -0800:

>[shot opens with a full body view of acting senator snowgod standing
>before a massed crowd.  The ackanomic flag flies high in the background.
>As the senator begins to speak, the camera zooms in focusing on his face
>and prosthetic forhead.]
>
>In appreciation for his outstanding service to the game of Ackanomic, the
>passage of 20 or more proposals, I am awarding a Blue Cross to Malenkai.
>I hope this cross provides comfort to malenkai in this time of crises,
>while his previous cross remains locked away in the treasury.  Long live
>ackanomic!
>
>[closing shot of president /dev/joe twidleing his thumbs while ackanomic burns]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 12:09:45 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: IP ThinMan

On the matter of Impeaching Financier ThinMan

Votes accepted until Thu, Jul 18, 00:00

22 active players (excluding ThinMan), 7 cast votes. Quorum was not met.
IP is rejected. snowgod loses 10 points and may not issue an IP for one
month.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
For Impeachment:
	this is not a name
	snowgod
	Malenkai
	Niccolo Flychuck
	
Against Impeachment:
	Wayne
	mr cwm
	/dev/joe

Malenkai
Assistant Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 23:57:19 -0500
From: T Joffrain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official 

I come back from vacation.
I vote (secret ballot).
I go back on vacation.

CnH

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #117
*******************************