Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #111
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest        Saturday, July 13 1996        Volume 01 : Number 111

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 09:53:50 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 220Verdict

This verdict is ludicrous, it runs contrary to the definition of 'vote' in
English. 
The fact that every player has one vote, does not mean it gets used up
when a person votes.
this is not a name ( I think) presented dictionary definition to that
effect. I have nothing to add to these, except my amazament at this most
obviously erroneous (sp?) use of the English language.
This attempt at a game crash is no different than /dev/joe's attempt,
and just as absurd.

Nicolo Flychuck

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> The following, CFJ 220, has been judged TRUE.
> 
> I Malenkai, in the capacity as a player, appeal it to the Supreme Court
> in all threads with such an entity, with no reasoning.
> 
> Clerk of the Courts
> 
> Call for Judgement 220
> Subject:  Closing the polls
> Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
>   Judge:  Pascal (selected Jul 8, 1996, 21:05h New York Time)
> 
> Statement:
> 
> Each Player gets to vote exactly once during the entire game of Ackanomic.
> 
> pTang1001001sos' reasoning:
> 
> Read R390.
> 
> De'ghew's Reasoning:
> 
>       R390 states: "Each player has exactly one vote unless otherwise
> specified by other applicable rules."  On its own, this rule would require
> that each player vote no more than once in the game, or perhaps in the
> player's lifetime.  R390 does defer to rules that specify some other
> number of votes a player should receive.  However, this court can find no
> such rules.  It appears that the rules do not reflect the game custom that
> players may vote once on each proposal.  Since the rules must take
> precedence over game custom, this court has no choice but to rule this
> CFJ TRUE.
> 
> Aside: As much as I would like to rule this false, I can't find any rules
> which support such a ruling.  If anyone can find such rules, by all means
> appeal.  I should point out, though, that the rules do allow Tammany and
> possibly other non-player entities to vote more than once.  If this
> verdict sticks, we may turn to Tammany to save us.  We may all have to go
> on vacation, however.  :)
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 00:47:36 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Blue Cross (Malenkai) 

[shot opens with a full body view of acting senator snowgod standing before
a massed crowd.  The ackanomic flag flies high in the background.  As the
senator begins to speak, the camera zooms in focusing on his face and
prosthetic forhead.]

In appreciation for his outstanding service to the game of Ackanomic, the
passage of 20 or more proposals, I am awarding a Blue Cross to Malenkai.  I
hope this cross provides comfort to malenkai in this time of crises, while
his previous cross remains locked away in the treasury.  Long live
ackanomic!

[closing shot of president /dev/joe twidleing his thumbs while ackanomic burns]

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:29:32 +0200
From: Niklas Mellin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 228 (Robin Hood)

Randy Hall wrote:
> 
> Robin Hood has been chosen to judge the following, and has three days
> to accept/decline.
> 
> Call For Judgement 228
> Subject: Judging CFJ 227
> Initiator: Malenkai
> Judge: Robin Hood (selected Jul 11, 1996, 01:03h New York Time)
> 
> Statement:
> 
> CFJ 227 cannot be judged TRUE.

[ rest deleted ]

Statement:

CFJ 228 cannot be judged TRUE.

Reasoning:
Of course the judgement of 227 can be TRUE. R214 states that there are
three possible Judgements: (1) True; (2) False; or (3) Undecided.

R215 states that judgements must follow the rules etc. but sometimes a
judge might overlook a rule or a piece of game custom so any judgement
should be possible on any CFJ (isn't that why we have the possibility
to appeal a judgement to the supreme court?).

If I had made this reply a CFJ I don't think it could be judged TRUE for
the same reason :-)

/Mellon

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 10:13:09 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: Duck & run... 

To whom it concerns:

A decline decision on any CFJs I have assigned to me and place myself on
vacation, unless of course any of the rules pertaining to CFJ-making or
vacationing do not exist anymore. Or never really existed in the first place.

I just have to take a break; this game is giving me a headache ;)

- ---Pascal
(Jason Reed)
                 The past:
Used to be TIE of Fascist 12, 13, and 14:0, THS of 14:1,
a player of Agora Nomic, Thring Nomic and pNomic. Not necessarily all at
once or in that order.
                 The present:
I'm a player of Fascist 14, and of Ackanomic,
Ambassador for Fascist 14, and
Speaker of Micronomic (which needs some more players!)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:22:19 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 234 Verdict

The following, CFJ 234 has been judged TRUE, indicating the voidness of
R 558. 

The judge indicates that the Speaker should call a festival; the Speaker
cannot do so without a rule that allows him to do so, and although possibly
could create an entity that would declare one, will not. There is no other
legal one to declare one, IMHO, as we've passed P 1000.

The Speaker suggests that the officers just do their jobs, including the
3 pending supreme court appeals, and the finances, which are over a
month in being accounted for.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Judgement 234
  Subject:  Fable of the Reconstruction
Initiator:  Malenkai
    Judge:  Niccolo Flychuck (Chosen as of the date of this post)

Statement:

R 558 is, and has been since it was adopted, "wholly void and without
effect".

Malenkai's Reasoning:

R 105 says of a proposed rule change: "If adopted, it must guide play
in the form it was voted on".

Game custom has rendered "rule change" to be any rule amendment, or
creation of a new rule, ie, a change to the rules. Even if it is strictly
constructed to mean an amendment, however, my reasoning below holds.

Thus a rule, or an amendment to a rule, must guide play in the form it
was voted on. Ie, it must have the "effect" of guiding play in the form
it was voted on.

R 558 claims the following, of entities: "Dormant entities have no effect".
It also defines, implicitly, that a rule is an entity. Other rules and
game custom also allow the fact that rules are entities, therefore, it
says "Dormant [rules] have no effect".

R 105 claims rules have an "effect" of guiding play in their voted form,
whilst R 558 claims certain types of rules have no effects whatsoever.
R 105 does not defer precedence to allow any certain type of rule to
avoid its provisions, therefore R 105 and R 558 are in conflict in whether
rules can have effect.

This is an Immutable/Mutable inconsistancy. By R 108, R 558 is, and always
has been, "wholly void and without effect", and a verdict of TRUE is
necessary.

[[I dedicate this to all those who encouraged me to try it, without whose
prodding I would not have.]]

Niccolo Flychuck's Reasoning:

Malenkai's reasoning is good enough.

addtional comments:
I don't know whether this would uncrash the game, since, as I pointed out
in previous posts, lately, all our time has been spent just on saving the
game, which could be fun, to some extent.  We've been overdoing just about
everything.
If this CFJ is sufficient to nullify /dev/joe action, and people decide to
go on with the game, I suggest the Speaker anounce a festival, a long
festival, so people can start figuring out what they want to do.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:23:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 220Verdict

Uri Bruck wrote:
> 
> This verdict is ludicrous, it runs contrary to the definition of 'vote' in
> English.
> The fact that every player has one vote, does not mean it gets used up
> when a person votes.
> this is not a name ( I think) presented dictionary definition to that
> effect. I have nothing to add to these, except my amazament at this most
> obviously erroneous (sp?) use of the English language.
> This attempt at a game crash is no different than /dev/joe's attempt,
> and just as absurd.
> 

Its been applealed to the SC. You're a justice, so start deliberating with 
Wayne, so we get back on track.

Malenaki
Speaker

> Nicolo Flychuck
> 
> On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Malenkai wrote:
> 
> > The following, CFJ 220, has been judged TRUE.
> >
> > I Malenkai, in the capacity as a player, appeal it to the Supreme Court
> > in all threads with such an entity, with no reasoning.
> >
> > Clerk of the Courts
> >
> > Call for Judgement 220
> > Subject:  Closing the polls
> > Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
> >   Judge:  Pascal (selected Jul 8, 1996, 21:05h New York Time)
> >
> > Statement:
> >
> > Each Player gets to vote exactly once during the entire game of Ackanomic.
> >
> > pTang1001001sos' reasoning:
> >
> > Read R390.
> >
> > De'ghew's Reasoning:
> >
> >       R390 states: "Each player has exactly one vote unless otherwise
> > specified by other applicable rules."  On its own, this rule would require
> > that each player vote no more than once in the game, or perhaps in the
> > player's lifetime.  R390 does defer to rules that specify some other
> > number of votes a player should receive.  However, this court can find no
> > such rules.  It appears that the rules do not reflect the game custom that
> > players may vote once on each proposal.  Since the rules must take
> > precedence over game custom, this court has no choice but to rule this
> > CFJ TRUE.
> >
> > Aside: As much as I would like to rule this false, I can't find any rules
> > which support such a ruling.  If anyone can find such rules, by all means
> > appeal.  I should point out, though, that the rules do allow Tammany and
> > possibly other non-player entities to vote more than once.  If this
> > verdict sticks, we may turn to Tammany to save us.  We may all have to go
> > on vacation, however.  :)
> >

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:43:12 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Official

It seems that the state of the game is as follows:

1) CFJ 234 came back TRUE, indicating R 558 was void, therefore no
action to make the rules dormant could have, or ever did, occur.
Therefore no "crash" occurred; the game continues to be playable.

2) CFJ 220 seems to be the only reason to hold up the voting results
on proposals in the queue. It has been appealed, creating a thread split
as to whether to release the results. There is no reason, then, not to
release the voting results in this thread (or the thread where the verdict
is overturned).

3) The Supreme Court has CFJ 220, CFJ 227, and CFJ 232 to hear appeals
to. We also need a verdict on CFJ 214, ThinMan's winning, from Niccolo,
I believe.

4) The other officers should just do their jobs as well. We've been unable
to do play the part of the game that involves currency for a long time. We
should at least know our balances in *one* thread, if not all.

5) As for our President attempting to intentionally crash the game, I guess
we should elect Robert Sevin again, next time around. Its analogous to
an American President deciding he or she cannot work within the customary
framework to solve problems; instead just solving them by dropping atomic
bombs on everything a society took 300 years to build. Probably not a
quality we should look for in our leaders in the future.

6) There is alot of good in our ruleset. I ask people to concentrate on
that. If there is so much bad, then 75% can call a Constitutional 
Convention, or 67% can vote in a package of sweeping rule changes that is
like a Constitutiona Convention. It has not happened yet. We do not need,
or want, draconian "solutions".

Malenkai
Speaker

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:53:11 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 224 (tinan)

Mohammed left the game :(. This has been reassinged to this is not a name.
A verdict here will collapse that annoying supreme court thread.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 224
  Subject:  Judicial Confirmation
Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
    Judge:  Mohammed (selected Jul 9, 1996, 19:38h New York Time)
2nd Judge:  this is not a name (selected Jul 13, 1996, 12:57h New York Time)

Statement:

pTang1001001sos has been confirmed to the Office of Justice.

pTang1001001sos' Reasoning:

The acting Senators do not have the ability to vote on confirmation
of Justices.  Of the Senators able to vote on the confirmation,
I received 1 confirming vote, and no dissenting votes.

By R507, the Senate has agreed upon a candidate, who was therefore
duly confirmed and currently holds Office.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 13:36:07 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 216 (Techno)

This CFJ has been reassigned to Techno, who has 3 days to accept or
decline the appointment.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call for Judgement 216
  Subject:  Fat Lady
Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
    Judge:  ThinMan (declined to judge)
2nd Judge:  Kelly Martin (failed to respond)
3rd Judge:  snowgod (declined to judge)
4th Judge:  Mohammed (left the game)
5th Judge:  Techno (selected on 13 Jul, 1996, 13:40h New York Time)

Statement:
 The argument below, after the header "Reasoning:" and between
 the quote marks, is sound and shall be entered into game custom.

Reasoning :
 "
 R790 states:

 >Furthermore, the game, or a cycle of the game, cannot be over until the
 >Fat Lady sings.

 What does this mean?

 I submit that it means the cycle number cannot be incremented.  The
 action of incrementing the cycle number would very strongly imply the
 end of the previous cycle.  I know of no other reference to what
 constitutes a cycle end in the Rules.

 Here's what happened:
 1) ThinMan changed n to 6, and claimed a win of the game.  This win claim
 was valid.
 
 2) At this point, R666 triggered, executing clauses (a) through (j), and
 got hung up before executing clause (k), waiting for the Fat Lady to sing.

 3) Clause (a) of R666 says "Ackanomic play is suspended".  By CFJ 193,
 only those activities which are analogous to "setting up a chess board"
 are valid during this period.  I submit that my changing of n does not
 qualify.

 4) I tried to change n.  This did not happen, as it is an unacceptable
action.

 5) Malenkai stated that the Fat Lady is singing.  I submit that this is
 a "setting up" activity, as it triggers the change in cycle number.

 6) R666 executes clause (k), incrementing the cycle number, then (m),
  resuming Ackanomic play.
 "

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 13:57:44 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 224 (tinan)

I must decline judgement on this. As an Acting Senator, I believe that I 
have a conflict of interest. However, I would ask the next judge to 
simply read the second paragraph of 457, which makes it clear that a 
false verdict is necessary.

this is not a name

CotC wrote:
>Call for Judgement 224
>  Subject:  Judicial Confirmation
>Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
>    Judge:  Mohammed (selected Jul 9, 1996, 19:38h New York Time)
>2nd Judge:  this is not a name (selected Jul 13, 1996, 12:57h New York Time)
>
>Statement:
>
>pTang1001001sos has been confirmed to the Office of Justice.
>
>pTang1001001sos' Reasoning:
>
>The acting Senators do not have the ability to vote on confirmation
>of Justices.  Of the Senators able to vote on the confirmation,
>I received 1 confirming vote, and no dissenting votes.
>
>By R507, the Senate has agreed upon a candidate, who was therefore
>duly confirmed and currently holds Office.

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
  "Quit worrying about your health.  It'll go away." --Robert Orben
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 22:31:35 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 234 Verdict

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> The following, CFJ 234 has been judged TRUE, indicating the voidness of
> R 558. 
> 
> The judge indicates that the Speaker should call a festival; the Speaker
> cannot do so without a rule that allows him to do so, and although possibly
> could create an entity that would declare one, will not. There is no other
> legal one to declare one, IMHO, as we've passed P 1000.

I was under the impression that it was possible to call a festival. 

> 
> The Speaker suggests that the officers just do their jobs, including the
> 3 pending supreme court appeals, and the finances, which are over a
> month in being accounted for.

I was going to resign tonight, but I will postpone it to see if I can get
anything done to keep the machines going. 

Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 22:34:24 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Malenkai wrote:

> 5) As for our President attempting to intentionally crash the game, I guess
> we should elect Robert Sevin again, next time around. Its analogous to
> an American President deciding he or she cannot work within the customary
> framework to solve problems; instead just solving them by dropping atomic
> bombs on everything a society took 300 years to build. Probably not a
> quality we should look for in our leaders in the future.

I think the office of President should be abolished. It never served any
useful purpose, and if anything, this attempt at mimicry of real life can
only serve to stunt our growth.

Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 23:04:48 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 214 (Niccolo) 

I judge this to be FALSE

At 01:34 AM 11/07/96 -0400 , Malenkai  wrote:
>
>
>Clerk of the Courts
>
>Call for Judgement 214
>  Subject:  ThinMan's winning
>Initiator:  /dev/joe
>    Judge:  De'ghew (declined to judge)
>2nd Judge:  Calvin N Hobbes (declined to judge)
>3rd Judge:  Mohammed (deadbeat judge)
>4th Judge:  Niccolo Flychuck (selected Jul 11, 1996, 01:39h New York Time)
>
>Statement:
>
>When ThinMan set n to 6, he won the game.
>
>/dev/joe's Comments:
>
>I don't care either way, but it's rather important to know.
>
>
R110
The state of affairs that constitutes winning the game may not be changed
from achieving n points to any other state of affairs.  However, the
magnitude of n and the means of earning points may be changed, and rules
that establish a winner when play cannot be continued may be enacted and
(while mutable) be amended or repealed.

This rule defines that the state of winning can't be changed from achieving
n number of points. 
n is never explicitly defined, therefore, n by itself has no value, and this
rule does not determine the number of points necessary to win. It defines a
a template for defining a rule that would define the number of points to
win, it might have well been rephrased "The state of affairs that
constitutes winning the game may not be changed from achieving a certain
number of points to any other state of affairs."
This statement is equivalent  to the statement in the rule. I doubt anybody
could claim to assign a value to 'certain'. 

One might argue that the second sentence of the rule implies that n can be
defined. One would be mistaken. The second simply continues to use the same
terminology that has been defined in the original template.

The rule that fills the template is R422, and as long as R110 remains as it
is, only by changing R422, or ammending it, or adding other rules which may
affect the stat of affair of winning, that is the rule that determines the
number of points required to win.

Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:35:11 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Where is Robert Sevin? 

Yooo-hoooo? Robert Sevin???

We are all anxiously awaiting your public admiration of your new silly
vacation hat and your message of thanks to your Mad Hatter.  Come on Mr.
Sevin, entertain us. :)

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 12:47:49 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Coke is it! (ThinMan) 

Mr. Financier,

I (along with several other players) have been anxiously awaiting word on
the coke is it situation for several months now.  Could you please give us
a capsule history of any and all communications you have had with
coca-cola, as well as transcripts if you have them?  It has also occured to
me that the act of stating that "coke is it" may not be enought to satisfy
the corporate bigwigs.  Perhaps the Web-Harfer ought to place a clickable
banner add (linked to www.coke.com or whatever it is) on the ackanomic main
page to speed up payment.

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:59:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: New Mad Hatters, CFJ 234 verdict, scorekeeping, registrar's report, etc., etc.

> The following, CFJ 234 has been judged TRUE, indicating the voidness of
> R 558. 

Although I don't agree with the reasoning of using R105 to do it,
I do like seeing Rule 558 voided.  There is *another* problem that
has existed for some time (but I never got around the CFJ-ing
because I got busy with all the other problems of the last month and
a half) in the rules which state something like "This rule is dormant
if there are no XXX, until there are."  Depending on how these rules
are worded, some of them might never stop being dormant if they ever
become dormant.  It was a low-priority issue only because an examination
of the rules in question showed none of them to have ever been dormant.

I need to choose new mad hatters for the ones who didn't post SVH designs;
those who didn't post designs also lose 3 points by rule 937 (that would
be niccolo flychuck, wayne, and mohammed).  Mohammed quit the game at
18:03 CDT yesterday, but his 3 days for posting a SVH ended at 16:54 CDT
yesterday, so he did lose the 3 points before quitting (in case that
matters).

By my records, here are the players we have now:

Bascule = Matt Black = [email-masked] (on vacation)
Brinjal = Simon Clarke = [email-masked]
Calvin N Hobbes = Thierry Joffrain = [email-masked] (on vacation)
chess piece face = Paul Swan = [email-masked] (on vacation)
De'ghew = John Spickes = [email-masked]
/dev/joe = Joseph DeVincentis = [email-masked]
fon = Adrian Smith = [email-masked] (on vacation)
Kelly Martin = Kelly Martin = [email-masked]
Malenkai = Randy Hall = [email-masked]
Mellon = Niklas Mellin = [email-masked]
mr cwm = Eric Murray = [email-masked]
Niccolo Flychuck = Uri Bruck = [email-masked]
Pascal = Jason Reed = [email-masked] (on vacation)
pTang1001001sos = Mark Nau = [email-masked] (on vacation)
Robert Sevin = Mitchell Harding = [email-masked]
Robin Hood = Robert Shaw = [email-masked]
Simon Marty Harriman = Andy Swan = [email-masked] (on vacation)
snowgod = Phil Ackley = [email-masked]
Techno = Jerome Herrman = [email-masked]
The Great Old One = Sean Crystal = [email-masked] (on vacation)
ThinMan = John Bollinger = [email-masked]
this is not a name = Mike Epstein = [email-masked]
Wayne = Wayne Sheppard = [email-masked]

Did anybody else quit or go on vacation that I've missed?

23 players, 8 on vacation.  If it feels like you get chosen
for one out of every 15 random things, you're right.

New Mad Hatters:
for chess piece face: Robert Sevin
for fon: Malenkai
for Simon Marty Harriman: Robin Hood

I note that Niccolo Flychuck returned CFJ 214 false, publicly, so
that whole thread has collapsed and Wayne should add the "cycle 5"
and "cycle 6" scores back into the current scores, as those
cycles never really ended.

Wayne, I'll be glad to help out with any other miscellaneous score
changes later, but I have to go now.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 17:05:16 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Mad Hatters, CFJ 234 verdict, scorekeeping, regis

>Did anybody else quit or go on vacation that I've missed?

mr cwm went on vacation due to the evacuation of Savannah, Georgia.

- --
     Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with the
 law."                           --New York City Mayor David Dinkins
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/    Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 17:50:57 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: RFC Hotels

Please comment.

RFC #1: Hotels

A class of entities called the Hotel (plural Hotels) is hereby created. 
Hotels are Protected. Each particular Hotel is Protected and may only be 
created by the passage of a rule. If the rule that creates a particular 
Hotel ceases to exist, that Hotel vanishes in a cloud of dust.

Any Player may stay in a Hotel upon announcing it to the public forum and 
paying the hotel's fee. If the fee for a particular Hotel is not defined 
elsewhere in the rules, it is 10 units of the official currency per 
24-hour period or fraction thereof. The fee for staying in a hotel is 
paid to the Treasury, unless otherwise specified.

A Player may stay in a Hotel for any length of time as long as e has 
enough currency to pay for the privilege.

If a Player who is staying in a Hotel goes on Vacation, e will remain in 
the Hotel as long as e has enough currency to pay for the privilege, 
provided that no other rule requires the Player to leave the Hotel. 

A Player who is staying in a Hotel will not leave the hotel until either 
e posts to the public forum that e is leaving or e runs out of money to 
pay for the stay.

Players who are staying in Hotels may have other privileges, duties or 
special characteristics as specified by other applicable legislation.

No Player may simultaneously be in more than one of the following 
entities: any Hotel, the Ackanomic Afterlife, Gaol.

- ----

RFC #2: Casa Mona

The Casa Mona is a Hotel. It is a classy building.

The Casa Mona may also be referred to as the Pissant Hilton.

The Casa Mona is built like a bookcase, with solid sides and back and 
with a front of blue-green glass.

In the Casa Mona, there are fresh flowers on every bedside table, but the 
beds are not made. There are no pillows on the beds. In fact, there is 
simply a bare, brand-new Beautyrest mattress. Every time a guest leaves 
the room, the old mattress is thrown away and a new one is put in. There 
are no coat hangers in the closets.

The fee for staying in the Casa Mona is 6 units of the official currency 
per 24-hour period or fraction thereof, plus 10 units of the official 
currency per stay. (This is the fee for the mattress.)

Any Player who is staying in the Casa Mona will not be eligible to 
receive the Magic Potato, should such an entity exist, for the duration 
of the stay. This rule takes precedence over Rule 306, should such a rule 
exist.

Any Player who is staying in the Casa Mona will have the opportunity to 
meet the Fat Lady at the end of the stay.

No Player may wear a Prosthetic Forehead while staying in the Casa Mona. 
The ceilings are too low.

If a Player who has been staying in the Casa Mona for at least one month 
wins the game, e will gain ownership of the Casa Mona, and henceforth any 
fees paid by players to stay in the Casa Mona will be paid to that Player.

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
    "Is it progress if a cannibal uses a fork?" --Stanislaw J. Lec
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:42:32 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Hotels

At 5:50 PM 7/13/96, this is not a name wrote:
>Please comment.
>
>RFC #1: Hotels

I like this idea.. But I would like to see it in a form where the
descriptions of hotels don't stay in the rules, but rather in a type of
enity description (sort of like silly vacation hats).  I think hotels
should be created by the rules though (lest we have hotels randomly created
by 115 that allow any and all players to win the game whenever the whim
hits them.)
>
>RFC #2: Casa Mona

This seems like a good way to make money.  Well, Spend money to make money.
But I have a couple of questions.  If a player is in a hotel, and he is
sentenced to the gaol would he be removed from the hotel immediatly?  I
would defer precedence to the gaol and the afterlife.  This could lead to
new and interesting CFCJs as players fight to gain control of the hotel :)

Also, I would love to meet the Fat Lady, but prosthetic forhead
discrimination seems unfair :)

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 18:58:36 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Hotels

snowgod kvelled:
>I like this idea.. But I would like to see it in a form where the
>descriptions of hotels don't stay in the rules, but rather in a type of
>enity description (sort of like silly vacation hats).  I think hotels
>should be created by the rules though (lest we have hotels randomly created
>by 115 that allow any and all players to win the game whenever the whim
>hits them.)

I thought about doing that, but I figured that it would be more trouble 
(and danger!) than it was worth. I think a rule per Hotel is not 
excessive.

>If a player is in a hotel, and he is
>sentenced to the gaol would he be removed from the hotel immediatly?

Yes, I'll make that more clear.

>Also, I would love to meet the Fat Lady, but prosthetic forhead
>discrimination seems unfair :)

Sorry :)

(You also can't stay there because you're in the Afterlife.)

Note that any number of players can reside in the same hotel at the same 
time.

tinan

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
Wisdom is like an open oven:  The food is gone, but the heat remains.
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/          Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 01:58:49 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: New Mad Hatters, CFJ 234 verdict, scorekeeping, registrar's report, etc., etc. 

At 03:59 PM 13/07/96 -0500 , Joseph W. DeVincentis  wrote:

>I note that Niccolo Flychuck returned CFJ 214 false, publicly, so
>that whole thread has collapsed and Wayne should add the "cycle 5"
>and "cycle 6" scores back into the current scores, as those
>cycles never really ended.

Sorry about the public posting, trying to wrap things up so as not to hold
up the game.

Nicolo Flychuck
>
>Wayne, I'll be glad to help out with any other miscellaneous score
>changes later, but I have to go now.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:23:18 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Hotels

>Note that any number of players can reside in the same hotel at the same
>time.
>
Sure, but if you want to control (own) that hotel, you're going to do
whatever it
takes to get the tenants evicted :)

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:30:21 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: reminder: impeachment 

With all the excitment of the last couple of days, I just wanted to remind
everyone one more time to vote on the matter of the impeachment of fon from
the senate.  Send your votes to Malenkai <[email-masked]>.  If you havn't
voted yet, do it now!

Also, Mad Hatters, let's get those hat's designed!

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 15:35:34 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Hotels

>RFC #2: Casa Mona
>
>The Casa Mona is a Hotel. It is a classy building.
>
>The Casa Mona may also be referred to as the Pissant Hilton.
>
>The Casa Mona is built like a bookcase, with solid sides and back and
>with a front of blue-green glass.
>
>In the Casa Mona, there are fresh flowers on every bedside table, but the
>beds are not made. There are no pillows on the beds. In fact, there is
>simply a bare, brand-new Beautyrest mattress. Every time a guest leaves
>the room, the old mattress is thrown away and a new one is put in. There
>are no coat hangers in the closets.
>
>The fee for staying in the Casa Mona is 6 units of the official currency
>per 24-hour period or fraction thereof, plus 10 units of the official
>currency per stay. (This is the fee for the mattress.)
>
>Any Player who is staying in the Casa Mona will not be eligible to
>receive the Magic Potato, should such an entity exist, for the duration
>of the stay. This rule takes precedence over Rule 306, should such a rule
>exist.
>
>Any Player who is staying in the Casa Mona will have the opportunity to
>meet the Fat Lady at the end of the stay.
>
>No Player may wear a Prosthetic Forehead while staying in the Casa Mona.
>The ceilings are too low.
>
>If a Player who has been staying in the Casa Mona for at least one month
>wins the game, e will gain ownership of the Casa Mona, and henceforth any
>fees paid by players to stay in the Casa Mona will be paid to that Player.

Upon re-reading this hotel, I discovered that the economics of it do not
work.  A player will never be able to make more money than he put into it
because:

1) He may not be able to maintain ownership for a period of one month

2) Other players may not want to stay in the hotel if they cannot make money

To fix this problem, I think you need to add another substantial benifit to
staying in the hotel (an extra vote, 1 point a day bonus, something) so
that players have a non-financial incentive to staying in the hotel.  Also,
it would be good if the owner of the hotel could change the rates per his
discretion.

Who owns the hotel initially?

snowgod

Ambassador - Former CSRR - Acting Senator
Wearing a prosthetic forehead - Heretic (twice)
Founder, Church of the Markovian Dream

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 96 20:01:14 -0400
From: this is not a name <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Hotels

>Upon re-reading this hotel, I discovered that the economics of it do not
>work.

True.

>To fix this problem, I think you need to add another substantial benifit to
>staying in the hotel (an extra vote, 1 point a day bonus, something) so
>that players have a non-financial incentive to staying in the hotel.

OK.

>Also,
>it would be good if the owner of the hotel could change the rates per his
>discretion.

Good.

>Who owns the hotel initially?

The treasury:

>   The fee for staying in a hotel is 
>   paid to the Treasury, unless otherwise specified.

tinan

- --
        Mike Epstein     [email-masked]     Long Island, NY
"A lot of advertisers lined up to throw money at this stuff because
 they were caught up in the hysteria about the Web. But now they want
 to know how you make money selling a $1.59 bottle of dish detergent
 on the World Wide Web."              --Karen Burka
http://www.nyiq.net/~epstein/         Finger for PGP 2.6.2 public key

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:03:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Registrarness, Elections

A new player joined the game, [email-masked], who chose as
his Ackanomic name: Habeous Corpus
He doesn't seem to have a real name in his e-mail so I'll try to get one
from him.

Mohammed resigned from the offices of Appointer and Inventor.
By the Appointer rule, the Speaker (Malenkai) is acting Appointer,
and he has some duties regarding nominations and elections.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 00:11:25 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

Uri Bruck wrote:
>  
> I think the office of President should be abolished. It never served any
> useful purpose, and if anything, this attempt at mimicry of real life can
> only serve to stunt our growth.

I actually had alot of ideas to give the President more power, somewhere
between what we have now, and Robert Sevin's executive authority idea.
I already tried the holiday proposal, and had some ideas where the 
President could up the priority on certain proposals and CFJs, or suspend
the proposal queue, etc. When and if we get back on track, I'll see about
developing them.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 96 0:41:50 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 234 Verdict

> could create an entity that would declare one, will not. There is no other
> legal one to declare one, IMHO, as we've passed P 1000.

I was under the impression that it was possible to call a festival. 

===========================================

As Promoter, I had the ability to call for a Festival after I distributed
P1000.  But as I said earlier, a festival will not help in this situation. 
A festival only limits the distribution of new proposals.  Proposals are
not our current problems.  The problem is in the CFJ's and stuff like
AckaDollars.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 00:40:18 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: reminder: impeachment

Phil Ackley wrote:
> 
> With all the excitment of the last couple of days, I just wanted to remind
> everyone one more time to vote on the matter of the impeachment of fon from
> the senate.  Send your votes to Malenkai <[email-masked]>.  If you havn't
> voted yet, do it now!
> 

We need a vote or 2 more, or we will not make quorum, due to the counting
of vacationing players.
 
Votes accepted until Monday, around noon.

Assistant Tabulator.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 00:42:40 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Registrarness, Elections

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> Mohammed resigned from the offices of Appointer and Inventor.
> By the Appointer rule, the Speaker (Malenkai) is acting Appointer,
> and he has some duties regarding nominations and elections.

I apologize for the delay. I will get to it shortly.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Jul 96 0:50:25 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: IP #2

Here's something that I should distibute:
=======================

 I am writing this Impeachment Paper to impeach ThinMan from the office of
the Financier.

ThinMan has been negligent in performing his duties as Financier.  He has
issued no reports advising us of the status of finances for almost one
month.  He has not made a good faith effort to determine the account
balance of the players (in either thread), nor has he posted information
concerning the value of PFbonds in any thread.

I will quote from the rules:

...The Financier is responsible for the proper maintenance of the accounts
of the players, (bonds, currencies, whatever...), whether or not that
task is delegated to someone or some other entity...

...The Financier will be directly responsible for the upkeep of the FM.
He/she may delegate any work to assistants, but is still ultimately
responsible for it. The financier is also responsible for making sure
the records of every transaction are publicly available...

...The Financier will report directly to the Players concerning his
handling of the job, especially on matter concerning his decisions in
resolving disagreements...

...The Financier is publicly accountable and can be voted out of office by
two thirds of the votes of the Players. The Financier may also resign...

...Should any player disagree with the Financier's
decision, he/she may call a CFJ to impeach the Financier on that matter
until it is dropped or a rule is passed clearing up the situation....

Send your votes to the assistant tabulator, Malenkai <[email-masked]>

snowgod

h

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #111
*******************************