Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #101
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest       Wednesday, July 10 1996       Volume 01 : Number 101

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:28:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 988

Proposal 988 - Wed Jul 10 01:28:13 EDT 1996
Selecting A Judge
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to replace the text of R588 entirely with the following text:

1. Let TJI be the sum total of JIs of all players who are eligible to be
selected
as Judges for a given CFJ.
2. The probability that any single player will be selected a Judge for a
given CFJ is calculated as JI divided by TJI, and may be denoted as JP.
Hence for each player 
JP=JI/TJI  ;   0<=JP<=1 [[in probabilty, p=1 is certainty, p=0 is certainly
not :)]]
3. The officer in charge in selecting Judges, will select the judges
randomlly according to the probabilities calculated for each player.
4. When a player is selected to be a judge for a specific CFJ, eir JI is
decreased by 1, regardless of the verdict the Judge returns.
5. a. The player selected has 3 days in which to accept or refuse the
appointment by posting, either publically or privately,  to the applicable
officer. Any player who does not respond
to selection in 3 days shall be penalized 10 points, and is deemed to have
refused appointment.
b. If a selected player refuses appointment, then that player is no longer
considered eligible for judgement on that CFJ, and a new player is selected
according to the method described in this rule

[[There have many discussions whether this necessary. While the overall
distribution of CFJs is pretty even, this is intended to make the local
distribution more even, while it does not hamper the overall distribution]]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:28:30 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 989

Proposal 989 - Wed Jul 10 01:28:30 EDT 1996
Definition of Judging Index
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule entitled "Definition of Judging Index" which
contains the following text:

1. Let each registered player have a Judgement Index, which may be reffered
to as JI.
2. Let MaxJI equal the greatest JI. There may be more than one player whose
JI equals MaxJI
3. When ever MaxJI is smaller than 4, the JI of all players are increased by
(4-MaxJI)
4. Whenever a new player joins the game, eir JI will be set to 3
5 The officer in charge of selecting Judges will keep track of JIs. 
6. The value of JIs is public information.
7. {{all players' JIs are set equal to 4. }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:29:02 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 990

Proposal 990 - Wed Jul 10 01:29:01 EDT 1996
Swinger Like to Play I - the board and the pieces
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a new rule by the name of "Swingers Play Around I - the
board and the playing pieces"
1. There exists a checkered board, divided into 20 by 20 squares, which resides
 in Party Hall. It is called the Party Board. The Party Board is Protected. The
 Party Board is used for the sole purpose of playing a game called Party Chess.
Each column has a letter assigned to it, from a-t beginning with the leftmost 
column. Each row has an integer assigned to it, from 1-20, when viewed on a 
screen, the lowest row is 1, the highest is 20, consecutive rows are marked 
with consecutive integers

Each square on the Party Board has coordinates made up of the a letter, 
which corresponds to the column the square is part of, and an integer, which 
corresponds to the row the square is part of. The letter always preceeds the 
integer.
Food or drink may not be placed on the Party Board.

2. Party Chess Pieces
A. Each Swinger controls a set of Party Chess Pieces. The pieces are owned by
 the Office of Swinger, and controlled by the Swinger who holds that office. 
Whenever this rules refers to pieces as being owned, or as property of a
 Swinger, the implied meaning is that they are owned by, or are the 
property of the Office of the Swinger.
B.A Swinger may acquire new pieces in one of two ways: (i)by capturing an  
opponent's piece, as described elsewhere in this rule . (ii) by purchasing  
a new piece from the Treasury.
C  on-board pieces are pieces which are currently on the Party Board. 
  off-board pieces are pieces which are currently off the Party Board.

D.
   (i) Any player  may announce at any time that e is purchasing a new 
       Party  Chess Piece.
    (ii)The Party Chess Piece must  be a piece defined by a 
	PartyChessPieceDef  rule
    (iii) The price of a new Party Chess Piece is equal to M*5+10 A$, 
	where M is the material value of the piece. The money is paid to the 
	 Treasury.
    (iv) If a Party member purchases a Party Chess Piece, it becomes the 
	property  of the Swinger of that player's Party
    (v)if a non-aligned player purchases a piece, it becomes the property of 
	the Office of the NAP-Swinger
   (vi)Any newly purchased Party Chess Piece is initially off-board

E. When a Party is disbanded all the Party Chess Pieces owned by the Swinger 
  or that party are destroyed. No re-imbursement is made for destroyed pieces.

F. When ever the word 'piece' or 'Piece' is used in this rule, it means
Party Chess 
Piece.

3. PartyChessPieceDef rules
A. Each PartyChessPieceDef rule defines exactly one type of piece that can be
 purchased and used in the game of Party Chess
B. A PartyChessPieceDef rule must include in its title the words 'Creation 
of  PartyChessPiece' followed by the name of the piece
C. A PartyChessPieceDef rule must define the legal moves a piece can make. 
That is, define in a non-ambiugous way, which empty squares on the Party Board 
the piece can move to. All such definition are relative to the current 
square the piece occupies
D. A PartyChessPieceDef rule may define different rules for capturing an 
opponent's piece. Capturing consists of moving into a square occupied by an
 opponent's piece, removing the opponent's piece from the board, and adding 
it to one's own off-board pieces. If a PartyChessPieceDef rule does not define 
rules for capture, then the rules defined for movement, are also the rules 
for capture. - i.e. piece A can capture opponent's piece B, if B occupies a
 square, that, had it been vacant, would have been legal for A to move into.

E. Capturing friendly pieces is forbidden. 
F. A PartyChessPieceDef rule must define a material value for the piece.
G. A PartyChessPieceDef rule must define a non-space ASCII character to 
represent the piece. The character must not be one that is already used by 
another Party Chess Piece. These characters will be used to represent the 
pieces on representation of the Party Board.
H. The only exception to section 3 of this rule is the Party Chess Piece named
 King. The King is defined in a seperate section of this rule.

I. This section (section 3.I) defers to all PartyChessPieceDef rules
  (i) Pieces may be promoted or demoted unless a PartyChessPieceDef rules
specifically states that they can be.
 (ii) A piece may not skip over other pieces, unless it specifically allowed
by the PartChessPieceDef rule defining that piece.
 (iii) There are 8 main directions:
     horizontal - when a piece moves from a square, to another square in the
same row, it is said to move in a horizontal direction. 
    veritcal - when a piece moves from a square, to another square in the
same column, it is said to move in the vertical direction
   diagonal - when a piece moves from  a square to another square, such that
the number of rows it moved, is equal to the number of columns it moved, it
is said to move in a diagonal direction.
  Altogether, can move, at most, in either of two horizontal directions,
either of two vertical directions, and either of four diagonal directions,
making for a total of 8, every move can defined as a combination of those 8.
   Whenever  PartyChessPieceDef rules refer to all direction, then they
refer, only to the directions specified in this section of this
rule.Whenever PartyChessPieceDef rules refer to any given direction, then
they refer to any of the directions specified in this section of this rule,
however, they must be considered one at a time, and the considerations must
be independent of one another.

(iv)The capital letters R and C may stand for the row and column which 
the square the piece currently occupies is a part of, respectively.
(v)The terms DestR, and DestC, may standfor the row and column of any
destination square
(vi) The term SQ1 refers to the closest square in any given direction. The
term SQ2 refferes to the second closest square in any given direction. The
term SQ3, refers to the 3rd closest square in any given direction, and so on
until SQ19.
SQ0- reffers to square (R,C)
(vii)The term dR refers to the absolute value of (DestR-R).  The term dC
refers to the absolute value of (DestC-C)
(viii)The symbols /AND/ /OR/  /XOR/ /NOT/ 
   correspond to the logical operators AND,OR, X,OR,NOT respectively, and 
have the same meanings. In order to distinguish them from standard English 
words, they are written all caps, and are written between forward slashes / /

J.All Party Chess Pieces are Protected  

4. This rule take precedence over all PartyChessPieceDef rules, except when
this rule specifically states otherwise.
5. Section 3 of this rule in its entirety defers to the rule Creation of
PartyChessPiece King

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:29:35 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 991

Proposal 991 - Wed Jul 10 01:29:35 EDT 1996
Swingers Like to Play Around II - Let's Play
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule with the title "Swingers Like to Play Around II
- - Let's  play", which conatains the following text

1. Office of the  Chess-Umpire
A.The functional office of Chess Umpire exists.
B. Any player who is not a Swinger is eligible for the office of Chess-Umpire
C. If a Chess-Umpire becomes a Swinger, e must immediately resign eir position
 as Chess-Umpire.
D. The Chess-Umpire has the following duties:
  (i) maintaining and updating the Party Board
  (ii) Checking for the legality of the moves
  (iii) Notifying Swingers that it is their turn to move - by private e-mail
  (iv) Alerting Swingers to the fact that they are being checked, by a 
       public message, which indicates which Swinger or Swingers have been 
	placed in a state of check.
  (v) Calculating and posting the Swingers' Absolute and Relative Weights 
	after each move.
  (vi) Maintaining a list of game history - all the moves made, Pieces purchased
 	 and owned
  (vii) The Chess-Umpire will make this information publically  available.
	 If possible, the information will be maintained on a web-page as well.
  (vii) Determining the playing order.

2. Managing the Game
A. At the begining of the game of Party Chess there are no Party Chess
Pieces on the Party Board
B. Each Office of Swinger receives one King, and five playing pieces. Each 
  Swinger may choose any five pieces which are defined be a 
  PartyChessPieceDef rule, as long as their total material value does not 
  exceed 30. These pieces are freely given.   Initially all pieces are off-board
C. When a new Office of Swinger is created, it receives one King and five 
   playing pieces, as described in 2b
D. Whenever an Office of Swinger is destroyed, as a result of the fact that eir 
   Party no longer exists, all Party Chess Pieces owned by that office are 
   destroyed. No re-imbursement is made for the destroyed items.
E. Determining the playing-order: the NAP Swinger is always first in the playing
   order. The Chess-Umpire determines the playing-order of the Party 
   Swingers randomly.
F. Spectators are players who are not Swingers, and observers, who wish to 
   follow the game. When ever this rule calls for a public announcement to be 
   made, it means that the anouncement is made to all the Swinger and all the 
   Spectators
G.Swingers take turns playing according to the playing-order
H. Every play must be announced publically - except when this rule specifically 
   states otherwise. Once a play has been publically announced, the turn 
   becomes the turn of the next Swinger in the playing-order. That Swinger 
   has four days in which to make eir play, otherwise eir play defaults to a
Pass
I. After the last Swinger in the playing-order has played, the next Swinger in
    the playing-order is the first Swinger in the playing order.
J. Playing-order must always be followed, except when this rule specifies 
   otherwise.
K.(i)A Round of play is defined as a time period in which each Swinger
played exactly once, where default Passes are counted as plays, Special
D-Turns are not counted, Special DD-Turn, are only counted if no Swinger was
on-hold during the procedure called Special-DD-Turn.
(ii)Each time a Round of play is over, the Number of Rounds counter is
incremented by 1
(iii)When ever a new game of Party Chess is started, the Number of Rounds
Counter is set to 0

3.Playing the game
A.
(i) An opposing piece, or an opponent's piece, is a piece controlled by
another Swinger, regardless of 
    any agreements, contracts, or treaties made between the different 
    Swingers.
(ii)A friendly piece is a piece controlled by the same Swinger.
(iii)Piece A is said to attack opposing piece B, iff the pieces are placed 
     on squares such that had it been Swinger A's turn, he could capture piece 
      B, using piece A. 
(iv)Piece A is said to defend friendly piece B, iff piece A and B are placed 
    on squares such that had B been an opposing piece, A would have been said 
    to attack B.

B.On eir turn Swinger may make one of the following plays
terms between ' <' and '>'  will be substituted by actual values during gameplay
(i). Move- The Swinger moves an on-board  piece e controls from the square it 
     is on, to an unoccupied square, according the PartyChessPieceDef rule, 
     defining that piece. Move is announced as follows:

Move <piece name> <current square>  To <destination square>

(ii). Capture - The Swinger moves an on-board piece e controls from the square 
      it is on, to a square occupied by an opponent's piece, according to the 
      PartyChessPieceDef rule defining the moved piece. The opponent's piece is 
      removed from the board, and becomes the property of the Swinger who 
      captured it. Captured pieces  are initially off-board.
Capture is anounced as follows
<friendly piece name> <current square>  Captures <destination square> 
   	<opponent's piece name> <opponent's Party name>

(iii). Placement - a Swinger places one of eir of-board pieces on an unoccupied 
	square on the board. The Swinger may not place the piece in such a 
	position that it attacks one or more opposing pieces.
Placement is anounced as follows:
Place <piece name> at <destination square>

(iv). Pass - the Swinger does nothing.  If a Swinger makes no play, 
	within four days of the the most recent play made, then he is 
	considered to have Passed. Such a play is called a Pass by Default, 
	and is considered a play for all practical purposes, including the 
	four day count.
A Pass is anounced as follows:
Pass

(v). Surrender - All of the Swinger's pieces are removed from the board, and 
 	become off-board pieces. 
A Surrender is anounced as follows:
Surrender

C.
(i) If a promotable piece is moved, whether through a Move, or a Capture, into 
	a position which allows it to be promoted, then it is immediately 
	promoted. 
	The process of promotion is as follows: The original promotable 
	piece is destroyed, and instantly, the piece to which it promotes 
	is created, at no cost, and placed on the square that was occupied by 
	the promotable piece when it was destroyed.
(ii) If a Swinger Places a piece on a move, e may not Move, or Capture in eir 
	next move, unless e is in a state of check.Such a move is not a Special D-Turn.
(iii) A Swinger may not Pass if e is currently in a state of check
(iv) A play that results in placing the Swinger who made that play in a state of
	 check, is illegal. - If there is no legal play, other than 
	Surrender, that would not place the Swinger in a state of check, 
	then the Swinger must surrender

D
(i) A Swinger is considered to be checked, or in a state of check, when eir 
	King is attacked by one or more opposing pieces. 
(ii) It is the responsibility of the Chess-Umpire to identify states of check 
	and alert the Swingers that such a state exists, and let the Swingers
	 know whose King is being atttacked.
(iii) Whenever the Chess-Umpire declares that a state of check exists the 
	following procedure take place:
     	If the Swinger whose turn it is to play, is not the checked Swinger, 
	then the Swinger whose turn it is to play is placed On-Hold, and the
	 turn becomes the turn of the checked Swinger. This turn is called "Special
D-Turn
                   After the checked Swinger
	 has made eir play, the turn reverts back to the Swinger On-Hold, and
	 e is no longer On-Hold
(iv) If two or more Swingers are checked simultaneously then the following 
	procedure, called "Special DD-Turn", takes place:
 (a) If the Swinger whose turn it is to play, is not one of the checked 
	Swingers, then the Swinger whose turn it is to play is placed On-Hold. 
  (b) Each of the checked Swingers mails eir play by private e-mail to the 
	Chess-Umpire
 (c) If there no conflict between the results of the plays, then the
Chess-Umpire anounces
	 the plays publically and updates the Party Board accordingly.
 (d) If there is a conflict between the plays, then the Chess-Umpire anounces
	 this fact publically, the plays are not played,
                   and each of the checked Swingers must again mail
	 eir plays privately to the Chess-Umpire,
 (e) If the Chess-Umpire decided that there are no possible moves that would 
	not result in conflict, then e must anounce that fact, and all of the 
	checked Swingers must Surrender
 (f) If after 4+cp repetitions of the procedure described in steps /b/-/d/, 
	the Swingers' plays still result in conflict, where cp is 
	the number of checked Swingers, then the Chess Umpire announces 
	that fact, and all of the checked Swingers must surrender.

 (g) A state of conflict is defined as one of the following:
     /i/ Two or more Party Chess Pieces occupy the same square, where none
       of those pieces had occupied that square before. 
   /ii/ The result of plays is that at least one of the checked Swingers is
        	 still checked, by the same Swinger or Swinger sthat he was checked
by when the Special         DD-Turn procedure commenced.

 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:29:58 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 992

Proposal 992 - Wed Jul 10 01:29:58 EDT 1996
Swingers Like to Play Around III - mostly odds
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule with title "Swingers Like to Play Around III -
mostly odds" which contains the following text:

1. Calculating Swingers' Weight
 A. Whenever a Swinger completes eir play, the Chess- Umpire calculates the
Swingers'
    Weights and posts that information.
 B. Absolute Weight for each Swinger is calculated in the following manner:
    For a Swinger whose King is on-board
    Weight=
    (Total material value of the off-board pieces)+
    3*(Total material value of the on-board piece)+
    for each piece( add the maximum distance the piece can move,
without making
    a capture), where distance is defined as the greater of (abs(DestC-C)),
   (abs(DestR-R))
    for each piece (add 3 if the piece attacks at least one opponent piece)
    for each piece (add 2 if the piece defends at least one friendly piece)
 
    For a Swinger whose King is off-board
    Weight=1
 
  C. Relative Weight for each Swinger is calculated as follows - 
     if the minimum Weight is non-zero, then 
     Relative Weight= Absolute Weight / minimum Weight
     if the minimum Weight is equal to zero then 
     Relative Weight=Absolute Weight

2. The game of Party Chess is Protected.
3. {{in R726 replace the words:
"A Player who occupies a seat in Party Hall will known as a Swinger
(pl.swingers)."
with the words:
"A Player who occupies a seat in Party Hall will known as a Swinger
(pl.swingers). Swinger are political Officers" }}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:30:31 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 993

Proposal 993 - Wed Jul 10 01:30:31 EDT 1996
The Law of Party Gravitiy
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

a proposal to create a rule entitled "The Law of Party Gravity"  which
contains the following text:

1. 
a.There are four levels of Swingers, named Primo, Secondo, Tertio, and 
Populi.
b. Primo is the highest, Secondo is one level below Primo, Tertio is two 
levels below Primo and Populi is three levels below Primo.
c. The levels Primo, Secondo and Tertio can be occupied by no more than one 
Swinger.
The Populi level can be occupied by any number of Swingers.

2. a. Whenever Weight is recalculated, and there are no ties,
Swingers are reassigned to  levels. The 
Swinger with the highest Weight is assigned to Primo, the Swinger with 
the second highest weight is assigned to Secondo, the Swinger with the third 
highest weight is assigned to Tertio, the rest of the Swingers are 
assigned to Populi
   b. If there is a tie between two or more Swingers, neither one of the 
Swingers involved in the tie is reassigned, and the Tie-Fighter, section 
of this rule is invoked.
   c. Whenever a Swinger is reassigned to a higher level than the level e 
currently occupies, e is said to have moved up, by  1,2, or 3 levels, 
depending upon the difference between eir source and destination levels. 
Similarly, whenever a Swinger is reassigned to a lower level, e is said to
move down 
1,2 or 3 levels, 

3. SwingVotes
  a. a Round of play - when each Swinger has moved once, or forfeited eir 
move.
  b.At the end of every other Round - Swingers are awarded SwingVotes:
    (i) Primo receives 3 
    (ii) Secondo receives 2
    (iii) Tertio receives 1
 
  c. Whenever a Swinger moves up one or more levels, e recieves one 
SwingVote for every level e moves. Whenever a Swinger moves down one or more
levels, e loses one SwingVotes for every level e moves down,  or if e does
not have this many SwingVotes, e loses all SwingVotes e owns

 d. SwingVotes may be sold, traded, or given away. Parties may regulate 
the way in which the SwingVotes owned by their Swinger are sold,traded or 
given away. 
e. The NAP Swinger may only sell, trade, or give away SwingVotes to 
non-aligned players.

f.(i) A player who owns a SwingVote may cast it for or against a proposal, 
in addition to any other vote they may cast according to other rules. a 
SwingVote can only be used once. Once it has been cast  it no 
longer exists.
(ii). For any single proposal, a given player may cast at most one SwingVote
 (iii). For any single proposal, a given party may cast at most two SwingVotes.
 (iv). The total number of SwingVotes used by non-aligned players is limited
only by section 3.f.(ii) of this rule, and is not limited by section
3.f(iii) of this rule
(v) This rule takes precedence over R390

4. Tie-Fighter [[and if you're gufawing about this usage - yes, it's
intentional]]
 a. section 2 of rule defines the circumstances for invoking a Tie-Fighter
 b. The condition of Tie-Fighter persists as long there exists a tie 
between the Weights of two or more Swingers
 c. During a Tie-Fighter, the following things occur:
   (i) Swingers do not lose or gain any SwingVotes
   (ii) For proposals whose voting period ends during a Tie-Fighter, 
SwingVotes are not counted. SwingVotes that have been cast, and not 
counted in accordance with this section are still deemed to have been used.
 
 (iii) The number of points received by players during a Tie-Fighter is 
multiplied by the greatest integer which is smaller than or equal to the
Relative Weight of their respective Swinger. There is no effect on points
lost as penalties. For party members, the respective Swinger is the Swinger
of their Party, for non-aligned players the respective Swinger is the NAP
Swinger.

5. It is the duty of the Tabulator to keep track of all aspects of SwingVotes.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:31:07 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 994

Proposal 994 - Wed Jul 10 01:31:07 EDT 1996
Creation of a PartyChessPiece King
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule with the title "Creation of a PartyChessPiece King"
which contains the following text:

A. Each Swinger has exactly one king.
B. The King may move exactly one square in any direction.
C. This definition is analogous to section 7.b :
 The king may move to a square (DestR,DestC) which belong to the set of all 
squares such that dC=1 /OR/ dR=1 
D. The material value of the King is undefined
E. For the purpose of the game of Party Chess, 'King' is a genderless word.
F. The ASCII character representing the King is K
g. A King can be neither purchased nor captured.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:32:28 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 995

Proposal 995 - Wed Jul 10 01:32:28 EDT 1996
Types of Otzma Cards - I
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

This proposal which has the following effects:

I.Creates a rule entitled "Creation of Otzma Card type Yes-Vote" which
contains the following text:

"This type os a member of type-set Basic-Votes

An Otzma Card of type Yes-Vote is equivalent to an extra vote of Yes on a
proposal.
The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can be no more than 25 cards of this type in existence"

- ---------------------------------------------------------------
II. Creates a rule entitled "Creation of Otzma Card type No-Vote" which
contains the following text:

"This type is a member of type-set Basic-Votes

An Otzma Card of type No-Vote is equivalent to an extra vote of No on a
proposal.
The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can be no more than 25 cards of this type in existence"

- -----------------------------------------------------------------

III Creates a rule entitled "Creation of Otzma" Card type Present-Vote"
which contains the following text:

"This type is a member of type-set Basic-Votes

An Otzma Card of type Present -Vote is equivalent to an extra vote of
Present on a proposal.
The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can be no more than 25 cards of this type in existence"
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------

IV.Creates a rule entitled :"Creation of Otzma Card type Double-Me-Vote"
which contains the following text:

"This type is a member of type-set Basic-Votes

An Otzma Card of typeDouble-Me-Vote is equivalent to an extra vote  on a
proposal. 

The Player uses this card by sending it to the tabulator along with the
number of
proposal for which it is to be used. 
What ever the player voted, this Otzma Card counts as another vote of the
same type.
At any given time there can be no more than 20 cards of this type in existence"

- -------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:32:44 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 996

Proposal 996 - Wed Jul 10 01:32:44 EDT 1996
Types of Otzma Cards - II
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

This proposal which has the following effects:

I. Creates  a rule entitled "Creation ofOTzma Card type Double-All-Yes"
which contains the following text:

"This type is a member of type-set Special-Votes

An Otzma Card of type Double-All-Yes doubles the number of Yes votes on a
proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
If more than one Otzma Card of this type are used on the same proposal, the
effect is as if only one has been used, and the rest are destroyed.
There can no more than 10 Power Cards  of this type in existence at any
given time"

- ----------------------------------------------------------------

II. Creates a rule entitled "Creation of Otzma Card type Double-All-No"
which contains the following text:

"This type is a mamber of type-set Special-Votes

An Otzma Card of type Double-All-No doubles the number of No votes on a
proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
If more than one Otzma Card of this type are used on the same proposal, the
effect is as if only one has been used, and the rest are destroyed.
There can no more than 10 Power Cards  of this type in existence at any
given time"

- --------------------------------------------------------------

III. Creates a rule entitled "Ceation of Otzma Card type Double-All-Present"
which contains the following text:

"This type is a mamber of type-set Special-Votes

A Otzma Card of type Double-All-Present doubles the number of Present votes
on a proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
If more than one Otzma Card of this type are used on the same proposal, the
effect is as if only one has been used, and the rest are destroyed.
There can no more than 10 Power Cards  of this type in existence at any
given time"

[[The only effect  of this card is on quorum]]

- -----------------------------------------------------------

IV Creates a rule entitled "Creation of Otzma Card type Double-Me-Points"
which contains the following text:

"This type is a member of type-set Point-Stretcher

An Otzma Card of this type doubles the points a player gets from the results
of voting on a proposal.
It has no effect on penalties.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
There can be no more than 12 Otzma Cards of this type in existence at any
given time"
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- ---------------------
V.Creates a rule entitled "Creation of Otzma Card type Half-Me-Penalties"

"This type is a member of type-set Point-Stretcher

An Otzma Card of this type Halves the point penalties a player gets from the
results of voting on a proposal.
It has no effect on points received by a player , that increase eir score
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
There can be no more than 12 Otzma Cards of this type in existence at any
given time"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:33:09 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 997

Proposal 997 - Wed Jul 10 01:33:09 EDT 1996
Creation of Otzma Card type Impeachment
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule entitled "Creation of Otzma Card type
Impeachment" which contains the following text:

"This card can be used to impeach any functional or political officer.

The player uses this card by publically declaring its usage along with the
name of the officer in question, and office from which e is impeached.
Once the players has announced this, the named officer is immediately
impeached from the named office. This rule takes precedence over any other
rule that deals with impeachement.
At any given time there can exist no more than one Impeachment Otzma Card.
An Impeachment Otzma Card automatically self destructs four weeks after it
has been created.
The cost of creating an Impeachment Otzma Card is 50 A$"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 1:33:24 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 998

Proposal 998 - Wed Jul 10 01:33:24 EDT 1996
Creation of Otzma Card type Veto
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

A proposal to create a rule entitle "Creation of Otzma Card type Veto" which
contains the following text:

"This card vetoes a proposal, regardless of any other votes on that proposal.
The player uses this card by sending it to the tabulater along with the
number of the proposal for which it is to be used
At any given time there can no more than two Veto Otzma Cards simultanesouly.
No Player can hold more than one Veto Otzma Card at any given time"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 21:45:49 +0000
From: Matt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 218 (Bascule)

> Subject:       Acka: CFJ 218 (Bascule)

> Bascule has been chosen to judge the following, and has
> 3 days to accept or decline the appointment.
 
I accept judgement, and will return a verdict asap.

Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 22:43:38 +0000
From: Supreme Court <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 217 Appeal

Snowgod has appealed Judgement 217 to the Supreme Court.

> At 1:13 PM 7/6/96, Malenkai wrote:
> >The following, CFJ 217, has been judged FALSE. Stoke that bonfire,
> >BURN THE WITCH!
> >
> >Clerk of the Courts
> >
> >Call for Judgement 217
> >  Subject:  Burning the Witch in the Afterlife
> >Initiator:  snowgod
> >    Judge:  Robin Hood (selected Jul 5, 1996, 15:37h New York Time)
> >
> >Statement:
> >
> >An player in the Ackanomic Afterlife cannot be burned as a heretic.
> >
> >snowgod's Reasoning:
> >
> >To set fire to a witch in the Afterlife, another player would have to enter
> >the afterlife to set said witch aflame.
> >
> >R767 states that "A player that has 'entered' this palace can do so as per
> >another rule, not directly of his own decision."  Since no player can enter
> >the afterlife except as described in the rules, and currently the only way
> >to get into the afterlife is to commit heresy, a player in the afterlife
> >cannot be burned.
> >
> >The penalties decribed in "Ackanomic Middle Ages" state that they take
> >effect only after a player is burned. Hence, regardless of the outcome of
> >the witch hunt against me, the penalties cannot be applied.
> >
> >Robin Hood's Reasoning:
> >
> >> To set fire to a witch in the Afterlife, another player would have to enter
> >> the afterlife to set said witch aflame.
> >
> >Firstly this is not true so snowgod's reasoning is invalid. No rule
> >prohibits players throwing incendiary bombs into the afterlife.
> >Rule 729 says  that a simple majority shall determine if the heretic
> >has burned, but does not mention a method. When a majority can create land
> >by fiat it would not be unreasonable for them to be able to ignite
> >heretics by willpower alone.
> >
> >[rest of snowgod's reasoning cut]
> >
> >However I have to act only on the statement [ the court notes that 589
> >is misphrased, saying 'required only to consider' the statement and rules
> >literally means they need only be considered not acted upon which is
> >inconsistent with an earlier rule] Rule 767 does not claim precedence
> >over 729 but merely provides a definition a a term left undescribed
> >within 729. Therefore a player within the Ackanomic Afterlife
> >can be burned as an heretic but will immediately revive.
> >
> >I therefore rule CFJ 217 FALSE

Snowgod's appeal reasoning:
 
> The Afterlife is a Classy Palace.  A "classy" palace is of considerable
> size, and the act of firebombing it would not lead to the burning of the
> witch inside, because there are many places (and per R115 flame resistant
> places) to hide inside of such a large abode.
> 
> Furthermore the ability to create land by fiat is a legislative act, where
> the ability to set fire to a witch by willpower (or any other method) alone
> is an act that is beyond the scope of existing legislation.  May the
> ackanomic afterlife protect me, the earth is round.

Supreme Court's Reasoning:

While the first part of Snowgod's reasoning is entirely correct, the
Supreme Court cannot concur with the second paragraph. No rule says
that ashes cannot be burned again, nor is a mechanism for burning 
defined by the rules, and it is certain that no rule would allow any 
Heretic to escape the due process of law.

The Supreme Court congratulates the Witchfinder General on an
excellent job of rooting out the Heretics of Ackanomia. These
practitioners of the Black Arts, espousing their so-called
"progress", threaten the very _fabric_ of Ackanomia, by challenging
the Holy Ruleset itself, rule 729 of which categorically states "The
Earth is flat". While such dangerous elements remain in our society, 
no law-abiding citizen can rest! The good people of Ackanomia should 
redouble their efforts in grassing on their fellow citizens who 
would destroy the Truth and bring to Ackanomia an age of lawlessness 
and sorcery.

Verdict:
False.

The Supreme Court does not expect to be frivolously bothered by 
Heretics in the future.

Justice Bascule

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 23:22:37 +0000
From: Supreme Court <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 200 Appeal

ThinMan has appealed Judgement 200 to the Supreme Court.

> >The following, CFJ 200, has been judged FALSE.
> > 
> >Clerk of the Courts
> >
> >Call for Judgement 200
> >  Subject: Malenkai's Speakership
> >Initiator: ThinMan
> >    Judge: Dr McSpong (left the game)
> >2nd Judge: Pascal (failed to respond to CFJ)
> >3rd Judge: snowgod (selected 06-Jul-96 13:42h New York Time)
> >
> >Statement:
> >
> >Malenkai ceased to be Speaker when R 110 was amended into its current form.
> >
> >ThinMan's Reasoning:
> >
> >Until the most recent amendment of R110, Malenkai was both Speaker and
> >Justice.  R110 established that he was Speaker, and R507 prevented him
> >from being removed as Justice.  When R110 was amended, however, the clause
> >establishing Malenkai's continued Speakership was removed.  Rule 507
> >states that "[Justices] are neither President, Speaker, Senator, or
> >already Justice."  By definition, then, Malenkai, who was and is a Justice,
> >was not Speaker any longer.
> >
> >[Although this case looks pretty sturdy to me, I don't really care what the
> >judgement is.  I just want an interpretation recorded.  Also, I have no
> >objection to Malenkai's Speakership -- I think he does a fine job.  I do,
> >however, insist that the Rules be obeyed.]
> >
> >snowgod's Reasoning:
> >
> >Though the issue is now moot, I am returning a judgement of FALSE.  Though
> >rule 507 states that "[Justices] are neither President, Speaker, Senator,
> >or already Justice.".  It is the belief of the court that this rule could
> >force a resignation (an action by a player), but it claims no power to
> >immediatly remove a player from office (an action by a rule).

ThinMan's appeal reasoning:
 
> I am not convinced that snowgod's judgement is actually incorrect, but his
> reasoning is wholly unsatisfactory.  My primary objection is that Rules have
> whatever power they legally assign themselves, explicitly or implicitly.  The
> rule need not explicitly "claim" any power to generate any otherwise legal
> effect; the Rule grants itself whatever power is necessary.
> 
> Also, though this may be an issue of semantics, I claim that R 507 did not
> perform any "action" removing Malenkai from the office of Speaker -- rather,
> it _defined_ that he was not Speaker.
> 
> If I pass a rule that says "Malenkai is not Speaker," and assign it sufficient
> precedence, then I claim that Malenkai will cease to be Speaker, and will not
> become Speaker again until and unless that Rule is amended or repealed.  Such
> a Rule does not force Malenkai to resign, for it declares that Malenkai does
> not hold the office in the first place.
> 
> Indeed, this is exactly the opposite side of the coin from the former wording
> of R110 that made Malenkai Speaker when he last won, and _by it's wording_
> declared that he continue to be Speaker for the remainder of the ensuing
> cycle.  It did not declare it illegal for Malenkai to resign.  In fact, I
> argue that Malenkai could legally have resigned -- it just wouldn't have
> gotten him out of office.

The Supreme Court's reasoning:

The Supreme Court concurs with ThinMan.

From R507:
>[The Supreme Court] will be composed of two players (called
>Justices) who are neither President, Speaker, Senator or already
>Justice.

This passage defines a Justice as being not-Speaker. For a time,
there existed a paradox where Malenkai was made Speaker, but no
mechanism for immediately removing him from either this office or
from the Supreme Court existed.

From the old 110:
>The winner of the last game shall become the new Speaker for the
>next game, assuming all current duties allocated to the Speaker.

From 507:
>Once a justice, a player can never be voted out or kicked of office
>by any other entity, except by a petition of at least two thirds the
>number of players.

With the amendment of R110, Malenkai ceased to be Speaker.

Verdict: True

Penalty for Snowgod: 1 point.

The Supreme Court

 

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #101
*******************************