Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #99
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Tuesday, July 9 1996         Volume 01 : Number 099

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 15:41:36 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 952 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 952
  Proposal 952 - Mon Jul 01 23:30:44 EDT 1996
  Fixing rules 104 and 105
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

14 YES votes   5 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 9 points.  47 -> 56

14 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -3               
  Mellon                                      =   8               
  Brinjal                                     =   4               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   1               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   7               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =   9               
  Nobs Unity vote                             =   0               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  11               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  56               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  10               
  pTang1001001sos                             =   8               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -46               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  13               

5 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                    0 -> 2            
  Bascule                FUN                   11 -> 13           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            14 -> 16           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            16 -> 18           
  Techno                 Underworld            11 -> 13           

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 952 - Mon Jul 01 23:30:44 EDT 1996
Fixing rules 104 and 105
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Amend R104 to read, in full:
   All proposals made in the proper way shall be voted on.  When a
   proposal's prescribed voting period ends, or all players have cast a 
   vote on a proposal, then that proposal is accepted if a quorum has
   been achieved and the required number of YES votes were cast on
   the proposal.
   [[ As it is now, rule 104 suffers from the problem that it requires
   proposals to meet these conditions (including the voting period) in
   order to be accepted, but it doesn't say that a proposal is accepted
   when it meets the conditions.  Rule 106 does, but another upcoming
   proposal will reduce R106 to just being about retroactivity.  Also,
   'adopted' is changed to 'accepted' -- another upcoming proposal will
   fix this in the mutables, so that proposals are always accepted or
   rejected -- not adopted, passed, or failed. ]]

Amend R105 to read, in full:
   Proposals must be e-mailed to the appropriate officer and distributed
   to the players before they can be voted on.
   Accepted proposals must guide play in the form in which they were
   distributed to the players.
   [[ This form is much more appropriate for an e-mail nomic. ]]

Transmute rule 104 to immutable.
Transmute rule 105 to immutable.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 15:42:45 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 953 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 953
  Proposal 953 - Tue Jul 02 11:50:11 EDT 1996
  Catching up with 910
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

13 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  7 -> 16

13 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -3               
  Mellon                                      =   8               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   1               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  16               
  gnome                                       =   0               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  13               
  Nobs Unity vote                             =   0               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  16               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  11               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  56               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  13               
  Wayne                  Underworld           = -46               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  13               

4 NO votes:  2 points each
  Malenkai               FUN                    2 -> 4            
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            18 -> 20           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            10 -> 12           
  pTang1001001sos                               8 -> 10           

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =   9

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 953 - Tue Jul 02 11:50:11 EDT 1996
Catching up with 910
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

1. ammend R775 Creation of Church in the following ways
a.In section 5c replace the words "provide an explain" with the
words "provide an explanation"
b.In section 6 replace the words "more that one Church" with the words
"more than one Church"
c. In section 8e replace the words "does not its membership criteria" with
the words "does not meet its membership criteria"

2. Ammend R726 R. Party Hall in the following ways
a.In line 13 replace the words "becomes vacated" with the words "becomes
vacant"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 15:43:15 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 954 Passes

Here are the voting results for : 954
  Proposal 954 - Tue Jul 02 11:50:29 EDT 1996
  Ammend Party Hall
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 17 players cast votes

11 YES votes   5 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Niccolo Flychuck gains 9 points.  16 -> 25

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  -3               
  Malenkai               FUN                  =   4               
  Mellon                                      =   8               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   1               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =  25               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =   9               
  Bascule                FUN                  =  13               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  16               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  56               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  12               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  13               

5 NO votes:  2 points each
  gnome                                       =   0               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            20 -> 22           
  Techno                 Underworld            13 -> 15           
  pTang1001001sos                              10 -> 12           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -46 -> -44          

1 PRESENT votes:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                  =  11

2 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================
Proposal 954 - Tue Jul 02 11:50:29 EDT 1996
Ammend Party Hall
Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

[[in light of the soon to be submitted Party Chess - titled, Swinger like
to play around, somewhat changed from the recently published proto-RFC, I
feel some ammendments should be made to Party Hall]]

1. Replace the words " A Swinger can be voted out by 2/3 of the players"
with the words
" A Swinger can impeached, according to the regular procedure for
impeachment as described in R613 Offices , Impeachment, if that rule
exists, with the additional requirements
a. A Party Swinger is impeached only if at least one of the Yes votes was
cast by a member of eir Party
b. The NAP Swinger is impeached only if at least 1/2 of the of non-aligned
players, who are not on vacation, voted Yes, regardless of the number of
non-aligned players who voted on the IP."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 15:59:08 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acka: CFJ 219 (snowgod)

> Call for Judgement 219
>   Subject:  Voidness of R 423
> Initiator:  Mellon
>     Judge:  snowgod (selected Jul 8, 1996, 18:50h New York Time)
> 
> Statement:
> 
> The proposals 936, 949, 951, 955, and 957 shall be voted on by the players
> as all other proposals, since rule 423 is "wholly void and without effect".
> 
> Mellons reasoning:
> 
> R104 states that "All proposals made in the proper way shall be voted on..."
> I cannot find that the proposals mentioned above was not made in a proper 
> way.
> 
> R104 is immutable.
> 
> R423 states that votes cast on retracted proposals shall be ignored. This is 
> a contradiction to R104, and R423 is mutable.

I was very careful when I wrote 423.  I forsaw the possible confict with
Rule 104.  So I allowed the votes to take place but them ignored them.  IT
is very close to being in conflict with 104, but I feel that it squeeks by.

My task for the next few weeks is to rewrite all of the voting rules.  I want
to clear up some of the grey areas whie consolidating several of the rules.
Of course there will be those players who will oppose such a change, but
I will try it anyway.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 15:00:54 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Acka: Score update

> Recent score changes:  (let me know what I missed /dev/joe ;)

OK, here are some more changes:

I lost a point for retracting P934
pTang1001001sos lost 2 points for retracting P951 and 955

What happened to P947?  I don't recall this one being retracted, but
I also don't see the results in today's batch.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 16:02:12 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: score changes

More score changes:

- -5 Malenkai also appealed CFJ 211
- -5 Snowgod appealed CFJ 217.
- -3 Wayne lost 3 points for not posting what Phoebe said.

56	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
25	Niccolo Flychuck     A   (Uri Bruck) 
22	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
15	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
13	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff) 
13	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
12	pTang1001001sos      A   (Mark Nau) 
12	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
11	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
11	Kelly Martin         A   (Kelly Martin) 
9	De'ghew              A   (John Spickes) 
8	Mellon               A   (Niklas Mellin) 
4	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
1	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
0	fon                  V   (Adrian Smith) 
0	chess piece face     V   (Paul Swan) 
0	The Great Old One    V   (Sean Crystal) 
0	Simon Marty Harriman V   (Andy Swan) 
0	Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding) 
- -1	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
- -3	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
- -18	Calvin N Hobbes      V   (Thierry Joffrain) 
- -20	Pascal               A   (Jason Reed) 
- -47	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
/

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 96 15:39:34 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Prop 947 Fails

Here are the voting results for : 947
  Proposal 947 - Mon Jul 01 16:57:34 EDT 1996
  Pizza
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 19 eligible voters -- 18 players cast votes

10 YES votes   8 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 9 points.  4 -> -5

10 YES votes:  1 point each
  Malenkai               FUN                   -5 -> -4           
  Robin Hood                                   -4 -> -3           
  Brinjal                                       3 -> 4            
  gnome                                       =   0               
  De'ghew                Underworld             8 -> 9            
  Bascule                FUN                    6 -> 7            
  snowgod                (None Yet)            11 -> 12           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            11 -> 12           
  Wayne                  Underworld           -47 -> -46          
  Mohammed               Nobs                  12 -> 13           

8 NO votes:  
  Mellon                                      =   8               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =   1               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   7               
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 =  11               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  29               
  Techno                 Underworld           =   7               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =   8               
  pTang1001001sos                             =   8               

0 PRESENT votes:

1 ABSTENTIONS:
  Pascal                                      

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Calvin N Hobbes        FUN                  
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:

====================================================
Wayne, your friendly Tabulator
====================================================

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:34:03 -0700
From: Mark Nau <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Referee 

At 09:19 PM 7/9/96 +0300, Nicolo wrote:
>
>On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Mark Nau wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking about some of the sticky situations
>> that we've encountered.  What it comes down to is:
>> 
>> "Do we need a referee?"
>> 
>> We currently use CFJ calls as the referee.  I don't intend
>> to suggest we replace that.  I think, however, that we
>> need someone whose duty it is to keep track of the state
>> of the game.  In other words, according to the Rules and
>> any pertinent CFJs, where are we now?  What questions still
>> linger that need to be decided before we know what the game
>> state is?
>> 
>> Maybe its more of a scorekeeper/ombudsman.
>
>Looks like what you are suggesting should be covered by an existing
>office. Intuitively I would say the Speaker should be responsible for
>this.
>Nicolo Flychuck

That very well could be.  Thinking about this subject some more,
the role I'm talking about is very much like the Parlimentarian
position in Real Life(tm).  That seems like a natural role for
our Speaker.

I'm still collecting ideas before putting down anything in Proposal
form.  I'd like to have the Speaker perform these "state of the
game" duties, while making clear that e cannot craft new game custom
or Rules while doing so.

- -pTang1001001sos

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 16:39:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: John Spickes <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Justice confirmation vote

	I vote YES on the matter of the confirmation of mr cwm to the 
Supreme Court.

	De'ghew

- -- 
  John Spickes - Undergraduate - UMCP - http://www.wam.umd.edu/~jspickes
   PGP encrypted email preferred - finger [email-masked] for key

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 16:54:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Acka: Registrarness (Niccolo Flychuck, Wayne, ThinMan, Mohammed, mr cwm)

1. Justice Selection:

I note that all the senators (or acting senators in case of vacationers)
have voted YES on mr cwm's appointment to Justice, so he now holds that
office.

2. Silly Vacation Hats:

Rule 937 gives the registrar more work to do.  chess piece face, fon,
Robert Sevin, Simon Marty Harriman, and The Great Old One have all been
on vacation for at least 14 days (actually, I believe it is a lot longer
than that).  In accordance with the rule, and the game custom that
"whenever" means "once for each occurrence", I am choosing a random
active player to be the Mad Hatter for each of these vacationers:

chess piece face: Niccolo Flychuck
fon: Wayne
Robert Sevin: ThinMan
Simon Marty Harriman: Mohammed 
The Great Old One: ThinMan

(Yes, ThinMan was chosen twice.)
These players have just three days to announce their designs for Silly
Vacation Hats.

3. Phoebe the Steel Flea

Wayne didn't tell us what Phoebe said to him, and a few hours ago he
carelessly lost the matchbox, and lost 3 points in the process.

Phoebe's Matchbox was just found by mr cwm.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 18:10:20 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: RFC Referee

Mark Nau wrote:
> 
> Maybe its more of a scorekeeper/ombudsman.
> 
> As a concrete example, the "referee" might say:
> "It seems that the Evil Ballot Stuffer is trying something
> that might very well be forbidden by CFJ114, but it is
> not entirely clear.

> Comments?

I think the players, as a group, can operate as a referee. In your example
above, presumably the player chosen to be the referree and issue the 
CFJ, could also do so in their capacity as a player, as could
everyone else. It seems like fluff to me. If player X thinks a CFJ needs
to be called, let them call it.

As for "keeping track of things", it is my humble opinion that officers
are going to have to get used to the idea of state-splitting, and act
appropriately. (I actually do not think anyone has problem with the
concept, its just the work, especially for the Financier and the
Scorekeeper). In some cases, /dev/joe has kept track of state-split
info on the web, vis-a-vis scores. All CFJs split states, the trick is
to limit the work intensive bifurcations.

Thus, I do not like the referree idea. I think we're doing fine (no
tomatoes, please :)).

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 18:15:02 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Official

John Bollinger wrote:
>  
> I let it pass earlier when Malenkai attributed to me an admission of
> planting an egg in the rules.  Malenkai was mistaken; what I did was to
> author Rule 904, which assured that if my R110 scheme was accepted
> as valid, that I would reap the benefits.

I apologize to ThinMan. I misterpreted a previous post where he implied
that he wrote R 904 *solely* for the purposes of scheming to win. I also
don't think there is anything wrong with that in nomic, so my comment
was never intended as a slur, whatever ThinMan's intent.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 18:37:14 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Registrarness (Niccolo Flychuck, Wayne, ThinMan, Mohammed, mr cwm)

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> 1. Justice Selection:
> 
> I note that all the senators (or acting senators in case of vacationers)
> have voted YES on mr cwm's appointment to Justice, so he now holds that
> office.
> 

1) CFJ 200, CFJ 211, and CFJ 217 are all pending appeal to the Supreme
Court. The CotC web page has the due dates. CFJ 211, as I recall, is due
Wednesday. I note that the Web-Harfer has not added the reasoning of the
appealer in all three cases. If anyone needs it, it is in my save folder.
Since it should be added eventually. I would ask /dev/joe to add it now
so the justices can just go to it on the page.

2) It seems possible that Justice Bascule will be put on vacation per R901
Wed morning. The Postmaster will know that better than I, as no email by
me to Bascule has bounced. If that happens, I will appoint an Acting
Justice promptly.

3) There is a CFJ, yet to be realeased, that will challenge this 
appointment. It shall be released within 2 hours. Anyone for more state
splitting? Appeal a CFJ challenging supreme court appointments to the
supreme court? Don't ya love this game!

4) The CotC is always there to help the justices, if they need copies of
e-mail.

Malenkai
Clerk of the Courts

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 18:43:51 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Speaker Election results

Votes accepted until Tue 09-Jul, 14:31 hrs.

The election for Speaker is over. The votes were

for Malenkai (5 votes):

	ThinMan
	Mohammed
	this is not a name
	snowgod
	Malenkai

Malenkai is thus elected Speaker. Would the Financier please
record the change for the purposes of salary computation.

Elections are governed by R 611:
http://wilma.che.utexas.edu/~devjoe/acka/rule600.html#R611

Assistant Tabulator

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 18:52:22 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 216 (snowgod)

Kelly Martin failed to respond to this CFJ, and by R 691, must be 
declared a deadbeat judge.

The CFJ has been reassigned to snowgod, who seems to have gained the die's
favor lately. snowgod has 3 days to accept or decline the appointment.

Clerk of the Courts
- ------------------------------------------------------------------

Call for Judgement 216
  Subject:  Fat Lady
Initiator:  pTang1001001sos
    Judge:  ThinMan (declined to judge)
2nd Judge:  Kelly Martin (failed to respond)
3rd Judge:  snowgod (selected on 9 Jul, 1996, 18:56h New York Time)

Statement:
 The argument below, after the header "Reasoning:" and between
 the quote marks, is sound and shall be entered into game custom.

Reasoning :
 "
 R790 states:

 >Furthermore, the game, or a cycle of the game, cannot be over until the
 >Fat Lady sings.

 What does this mean?

 I submit that it means the cycle number cannot be incremented.  The
 action of incrementing the cycle number would very strongly imply the
 end of the previous cycle.  I know of no other reference to what
 constitutes a cycle end in the Rules.

 Here's what happened:
 1) ThinMan changed n to 6, and claimed a win of the game.  This win claim
 was valid.
 
 2) At this point, R666 triggered, executing clauses (a) through (j), and
 got hung up before executing clause (k), waiting for the Fat Lady to sing.

 3) Clause (a) of R666 says "Ackanomic play is suspended".  By CFJ 193,
 only those activities which are analogous to "setting up a chess board"
 are valid during this period.  I submit that my changing of n does not
 qualify.

 4) I tried to change n.  This did not happen, as it is an unacceptable
action.

 5) Malenkai stated that the Fat Lady is singing.  I submit that this is
 a "setting up" activity, as it triggers the change in cycle number.

 6) R666 executes clause (k), incrementing the cycle number, then (m),
  resuming Ackanomic play.
 "

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 19:01:29 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: CFJ 221 (ThinMan)

ThinMan has been chosen to judge the following, and has 3 days to
accept/decline.

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 221
  Subject:  Retracted proposals
Initiator:  Mellon
    Judge:  ThinMan (selected Jul 9, 1996, 19:04h New York Time)

Statement:

A retracted proposal can fail due to quorum, and then penalties
according to rule 207, 3rd paragraph shall be distributed.

Mellon's Reasoning:

[none provided - CotC]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 02:07:36 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: proposal  

Proposal 
Creation of the office of Wizard
Nicolo Flychuck

a proposal to create a rule entitled "Creation of the office of Wizard"
which contains the following text:

1.
a.This rule creates an elected office known as the Wizard.
b.Only the Wizard can  create Otzma Cards, if such entities exist.
c.A Wizard conduct games of Eleusis, if the game of Eleusis is defined in
Ackanomic.

2.
The office of Wizard is filled by elections
according to the rules for electing political officers. All rules that apply
to Political officers apply to the Wizard, with additional restriction that
a player
who holds three or more offices, either political or functional, is not
eligible to be elected for Wizard. 

3.
a.Whenever a new Wizard is elected, a new pack of playing cards is created.
This pack is owned by the Wizard and is intended to be used for the purpose
of playing the game of Eleusis. While a game of Eleusis is in progress, the
Wizard's pack of playing cards may not be used for any other purpose.

b.The Wizard must always own at least one pack of playing cards. The Wizard
may acquire additional packs of playing cards by any legal means. The Wizard
may also sell, trade or give away packs of playing cards, as long as e
retains ownership of at least one. 

c.If a Wizard is left without a pack of playing cards, e is immediately
impeached, and fined A$50, for negligent use and disregard of official property.

d.The Wizard receives a salary of 5 units of currency a week.

e.A Wizard remains in office until either:
(i). The Wizard resigns, and makes a public anouncement of eir resignation.
(ii).The Wizard is impeached.
(iii) The Wizard has conducted and completed two instances of the game of
Eleusis, and there is no instance of Eleusis is in progress

f. if a Wizard has conducted and completed four instances of Eleusis, e
may not start any new instances of the game. Once the currently existing
instances the game are all finished e must resign from the office of Wizard.

g. When a Wizard finishes eir term in office, as described in either (i) or
(iii), e retains ownership of all the packs of cards e owned as
Wizard, which are not currently being used in a game of Eleusis, as a reward
for a job well done.
A player may run for the office of Wizard as many times as e wishes.

If a Wizard goes on vacation for more than four weeks, e is considered to
have resigned.

f. Should a Wizard leave office while one or more instances of the game
Eleusis are still in progress, e may hand over the management of those
instances to eir successor. 
Game instances 'inherited' in such a way from previous Wizards do not count
towards the total number of instances of games of Eleusis managed and
conducted by a Wizard.

g.In addition this rule creates the following entities:
The Wizard's Pot - the Wizard's Pot is owned by the Wizard. It cannot be
sold, bought, traded or given away. If there is no Wizard, the Wizard's pot
is temporarily dormant.
The Wizard's Shop- the Wizard's Shop is owned by the Wizard. All buisness
conducted by the Wizard take place in eir shop. If there is no Wizard, then
the shop is temporarily closed.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 02:07:38 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: proposal 

Proposal
Definition of a pack of playing cards

a proposal to create a rule entitled "Definition of a pack of playing cards"
which contains the following text:

1. This rule defines an Ackanomic entity called a pack playing cards(aka
PoPc), and the ways such entities may be legally used. This rule does not
create such an entity Other rules may dictate the creation and destcution of
packs of playing cards

2. Description
There are 124 cards in a pack divided in the following manner
There are 8 suits, following are the names of the suits and the symbols that
mark them:
!   - wands
@ - shtrudels
# - cross-stripes
$ - dollars
% - libra
^  - pointy hats 
& - serpents
* - stars

There are 15 cards in each suit. Nine of them are number cards, each card
depicts a number from 2-10. In each suit there is exactly one card of each
number.
There are also 6 face-cards in each suit. Each suit has exactly one of each
of the following face cards:
Ace, Page, Knave, Monarch,  Nomic,Suber.
Unless otherwise specified, the face-cards have the following numerical values
Ace- 1
Page - 11
Knave - 12
Monarch - 13
Nomic - 14
Suber -15

The cards have colors, each suit is associated with a color according to the
following list:
!   - wands             @ - shtrudels   - Blue
# - cross-stripes  $ - dollars        - Green
% - libra               ^  - pointy hats - Black
& - serpents        * - stars             - Red

In addition there four Wild cards, Wild cards have no suit, color or value.
The four Wild cards are identical. With the exception of the Wild cards,
each card is unique within the pack.
Suits may be reffered to either by their names or symbols. Number cards may
refered to by their numerical balue, Face cards may be refered to either by
their full name or by their inital letter.

3. Creation and Destruction
A pack of playing cards may be created by any rule that includes the phrase
:"This rule creates a pack of playing cards." or words to that effect.
Rules may be created that describe other ways of creating packs of playing
cards.
Similarly, other rules may describe methods for the destruction if playing
cards.
Whenever a pack of playing cards is created, or destroyed, it is created or
destroyed as a full pack as described in section 2 of this rule. Individual
playing cards may not be created or destroyed, unless they are part of a
full pack. The Creation and Destruction of packs of cards are Protected.
This section takes precedence over any rule that reffers to playing cards,
or packs of playing cards.

4. Usage
Playing cards and packs of playing cards may be used in games or activities,
if any exist, as defined by the rules creating those games and activities. 
Playing cards only have an influence within the scope of the games or
activities in which they are being used, and they may only be used within
those games and activities in the way described by the rules creating those
games and activities.
Playing cards have no influence outside the scope of the games or activities
in which they are being used.
However the results of the games or activities, whether intermediary or
final, may have an effect on Acaknomic, they may cause currency and assets
to change hands,  they may have an effect on players' score, but only in the
manner described by the rules creating the specific game or activity.

5. Ownership

Each pack of playing card must be owned by a registered player. Any pack may
be sold, bought, traded, or given away, unless the rules specifically state
otherwise.
When packs of playing cards change ownership, in any manner whatsoever, they
do so as full packs. Individual playing cards may not change ownership, in
any way other than as part of a full pack.

A player must own a pack of playing cards in order to organize a game or
activity which uses a pack of playing cards.  Other players who participate
in the game or activity may control cards for the duration of the game or
activity, but once the game or activity are over, all playing cards return
to the owner of the pack of playing cards used in the game or activity.

Any single pack of playing cards may only be used for one game or activity
at a time. A player may own more than one pack of playing cards..

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 02:07:56 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: Proposals I submitted  

I just submitted the following proposals:

Swingers Like to Play Around in part I, II, III 
The  proposal exceeded 32k, so I decided to break it up into three smaller ones

Party Law of Gravity

A couple of proposals for the Rotating Justice thing, that we bring up once
in a while

Creation of the office of Wizard
Creation of Otzma Cards
A few proposals  for types of Otzma Cards

All of these have been under discussion in the past few weeks, some more
recently than others.

What to look forward to tomorrow?

Tomorrow I plan to submit Creation of the game of Eleusis, which is tied
into the Wizard and Otzma Card rules, and several proposal for
PartyChessPieceDef rules, without which Party Chess could turn out to be a
rather monotonous game.

Nicolo Flychuck

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 02:07:32 +0300
From: Uri Bruck <[email-masked]>
Subject: Acka: proposal 

Proposal
Creation of Otzma Cards
Nicolo Flychuck

1.
a. Otzma Cards are Protected
b. Otzma Cards can only created by the Wizard, if such an office exists.
c. Otzma cards can be created and used only according to the rules

2.
a. At any given time there may be no more than 100 Otzma Cards in existence.
b. Any single player may not own more than six Otzma Cards at any given time.
c. Otzma Cards may be bought, sold, traded, or given away, in accordance
with the rules governing transactions.
d. If a player already owns the maximum number of Otzma Cards, and receives
or acquires , by any means another Otzma Card, e must immediately destroy
either the new Otzma Card, or one of eir existing Otzma Card.
e. If a player recieves or acquires, an Otzma Card, that cannot be owned by
that player simulateneously with other cards owned by that player, then the
player must destory one or more Otzma Cards, until the Otzma Cards e owns
meet all the restrictions placed on Otzma Cards
f. When a player destroys an Otzma Card, neither the player nor the Wizard
receive  a refund of any kind

3.
a. A Wizard may create an Otzma Card if at any time the Approved-Otzma-Count
(defined in section 6 of this rule) is greater than (zero) and the number of
Otzma Cards currently Up-For-Sale is less than 4
b. The cost of creating an Power Card is 20 units of currency.
    The cost is payed by the Wizard to the Treasury.
  If a rule called Creation of the Game of Eleusis exists, then this section
deffers to the section entitled Eleusis Prize, of that rule.
If theOtzma Card type definition rule specifies a different cost, then the
creation cost is the higher of the two numbers.
c. When ever an Otzma Card is created, the Approved-Otzma-Count is decreased
by 1.
d.When the Wizard created an Otzma Card e must publically anounce this. E
must also anounce the type of Otzma Card. Every new Otzma card receives a
unique ID, that may be reffered to as the OCID. The OCID of the first Otzma
Card created is 1. The OCID of any other card created is the smallest
integer larger than the OCID of the previous card created.
d.Once the Wizard anounced that e has created a new Otzma Card, it is
Up-For-Sale for a period of 7 days. The Wizard may also announce eir asking
price. The upper bound for the asking price is 200 units of currency or the
Card's creation cost multiplied by 1.5, whichever is higher. Players may
make offers to buy it. All offers must identify the desired card by OCID.
If within 7 days no player makes an offer equal to or greater than the
asking price, then the Wizard may
either destroy the Card, and be refunded the creation cost, or place it on
display at
eir shop.
The Wizard has the option of selling a Card for a price lower than eir
asking price.
At any time there may be no more than 4 cards Up-For-Sale
e. There may  no more than 20 Otzma Cards on display at the Wizard's shop at
any given time. If there are 20 cards and the Wizard wishes to add another
one, e must either destroy the new Otzma Card, or destroy one of the cards
already on display. If e destroys the new card e is refunded the creation
cost, if e destroys one of the cards on display e is refunded half the
creation cost.
f. The Wizard cannot use any of the Otzma Cards on display
g. The Wizard can sell, trade or give the Otzma Cards on display at any
time, in accordance with the rules governing tranactions. Any currency paid
for the cards on display is paid to the Wizard.
h. When a Wizard leaves office for any reason e may choose to leave all or
some of the Otzma Cards on display.
i. The Wizard can destroy any of the Otzma Cards on display at any time, and
be refunded half the creation cost.
j. When ever any player, including the Wizard, destroys a Otzma Card, e must
announce it publically
k. No Otmza Cards are indestructible

4.
a. The Wizard may only create Otzma Cards of types that have been defined by
Otzma Card definition rules.
b. The Wizard may must abide by the restrictions defined in Otzma Card
definition rules.
c. Otzma Cards may only be defined by Otzma Card definition rules
d. Otzma Card defition rules are rules that have as part of their title the
words:
"Creation of Otzma Card type..."  followed by the name of the type.
e. Otzma Card types may belong to type-sets.  When a Otzma Card definition
type rule includes the words "This type is a member of type-set...",
followed by a legal ackanomic name, then, if that type-set exists, the new
type is added to that type-set, if the type-set does not exist, it is
immediately created, with the type defined in that rule as its first member.
f.Rules pertaining to a Otzma Card type-set, affect the entire type-set.
g. If an Otzma Card definition rule is repealed, then all Power Cards of the
the type defined by that rule are immediately destroyed.

5.
a.Otzma Cards may only be used according to the rules.
b. Each Otzma Card may only be used once. Once it has been used, and having
caused
its effect, it no longer exists
c. A player uses an Otzma Card by notifying the appropriate officer that e is
using a Otzma Card, and which card. In addition the player must notify the
Wizard.
If there is no appropriate officer, then the player must a public
anouncement, that e is using the Card, and manner in which it is being used.
d. A player can only use an Otzma Card that e owns
e. In the case of Otzma Cards that affect voting on proposals and its
results, the appropriate officer is the officer in charge of counting the votes.
f. The results of the use of Otzma Cards must be published by the
appropriate officer, along with the name of the player who used the Otzma
Card, and the manner of its use.
g. The Wizard must be notified of all transactions and uses that involve
Otzma Cards, and must keep track of all Otzma Cards in existence.
h. A player may only use one card at a time. For cards that effects voting
and its results, a player can use only one card per proposal.
Reults of voting includes, but is not restricted to, points and penalties
given to players once a proposal either passes of fails.

6.
a. Let there be a counter called Approved-Otzma-Count. 
0<=Approved-Otzma-Count<=100
Initially Approved-Otzma-Count=0
b. If the Total number of Otzma Cards in existence in Ackanomic plus the
Approved-Otzma-Count is less than or equal to 100 then
c. Every Sunday night, at midnight GMT, the Tabulator updates the
Approved-Otzma-Count if the following manner
  (i) The Approved-Otzma-Count is multiplied by 0.9, and rounded up to the
smallest integer which is larger than the result of the multiplication
 (ii) If the Approved-Otzma-Count is smaller than thirty, then it is
incremented by the number of proposals that passed in the previous 7 days
(counting from the precious Sunday midnight GMT)
 (iii)If the Approved-Otzma-Count is greater than or equal to 30, then it is
incremented by half the number of proposals that passed in the previous 7
days (counting from the precious Sunday midnight GMT)
  (iv) if the Approved-Otzma-Count is greater than 100, then it is set to 100

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #99
******************************