Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #93
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, July 7 1996         Volume 01 : Number 093

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 0:06:28 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 977

Proposal 977 - Sun Jul 07 00:06:28 EDT 1996
Saving Bandwidth
Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Amend R 611, "Offices, Related Definitions", to make the following changes:

1) in section (ii), re-letter all subsections b) thru h) in turn  
   to become subsections c) thru i), in turn

2) in section (ii), directly after subsection a), add the following 
   subsection:

   b) If the number of Nominees is the same as the number of vacant 
      Seats for the Office in question, the appropriate Officer shall
      announce this fact, and the Seats shall be filled by the Nominees.
      This shall conclude the Election process; no actual Election shall
      be held in this case. Otherwise,

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amend R 542, "Creation Political Parties", to replace the sentence:

    "The creation of a Political Party must be announced by a Charter
that is sent to the Speaker who will then distribute it publically."

with the sentence:

    "The creation of a Political Party must be announced by a Charter
that is sent to the public forum by any member of the new Party."

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 0:07:00 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 978

Proposal 978 - Sun Jul 07 00:07:00 EDT 1996
Mentors for New Players
snowgod  (Phil Ackley)

Upon the admittance of a new player into the game, the Registrar shall
randomly select a player from a pool of volunteers to act as a "mentor" for
the new player.

It is the duty of the Registrar to maintain a list of players who are in
the volunteer pool.  If there are not enough players in the volunteer pool
to assign a mentor for each new player, the Registrar may randomly select a
player from the general population.

The duties of the mentor are as follows:

1) Answer any questions concerning game procedure to the new player.

2) Provide a new player with history and arguements for and against either
side of a proposal in the voting queue upon the new players request.

3) Provide a new player with information on any matter that requires his
immediate attention [for example, a newly active player who is required to
return judgement]

4) Answer any other questions the new player has concerning the game of
Ackanomic.

The mentor shall be responsible for performing these duties for a period of
two weeks from the day he assigned to the player, or until the player
declines further services [whichever comes first]

A mentor must always provide information without political or religious bias.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 0:07:07 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 979

Proposal 979 - Sun Jul 07 00:07:07 EDT 1996
Amnesty is Granted
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

{{ All players are absolved of any A$ debts they may have to the treasury,
and are given enough A$ from the treasury to raise their A$ total to 900, if
it is less than that.}}

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 0:18:13 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re:  Acka: Vote NO on 950

>->
>->Case in point (non Nobs proposals) - The kill the rules I hate series went
>->down resoundingly, I believe, because they removed rules that provide
>->Charm, without adding anything constructive.  In addition, the arrogance of
>->those proposals was amazing.
>->
>->Who thinks that there isn't any use to a church???
>->
>->snowgod
>
>But I accomplished my goal.  I now have firm control over the Voting Gnome.
>I didn't expect any of the proposals to pass.  This last month has shown
>that points don't mean anything.  The score has been reset 4 or 5 times.
>I will use the Gnome to further the goalsof Underworld.

] That is a valid game move, and of a type I support.  I have no problem with
] the promulgation of bad proposals in an effort to become gnome buddy (LONG
] LIVE THE GNOME!) though I must admit that I despised your proposals
] particularly.  Challenging people to find a reason for the existance of
] some rules seemed a bit arrogant, especially in the face of church
] activity.

I do admit that I did make a mistake about the Church Rule,  I didn't
realize that it was being used at that time.  And I do apologize if I
came off as a little arrogant.  I was not feeling well at the time.

] 
] Long Live Gnome,

I will have to admit the the Voting Gnome will probably be stuck with
us for the rest of Ackanomic.  But how about an amendment to the Voting
Gnome?  Instead of the Gnome shifting around everytime the score
changes, what if the Gnome buddy is chosen once at the end of the cycle.
Then whoever had the lowest score at the end of a cycle would be the
Buddy for the entire next cycle.  This might solve the problem.  Anyone
disagree?

] snowgod
] 
] BTW, Underworld may not have too much luck selling votes if everyone did
] indeed win a cycle.

If there was some 20+ wins then the accounts of Underworld are pretty
slim.  But we can always sell our votes for things other than money ;->

] 
] snowgod
] 

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 0:18:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Ackanomic: Proposal 980

Proposal 980 - Sun Jul 07 00:18:56 EDT 1996
Gnome Man's Land
this is not a name  (Mike Epstein)

Create a new rule as follows:
- ---
If the Gnome Buddy's score is negative, the Gnome may not vote. This rule 
takes precedence over all other mutable rules.
- --

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 00:20:41 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Vote NO on 950

[email-masked] wrote: 

> But I accomplished my goal.  I now have firm control over the Voting Gnome.
> I didn't expect any of the proposals to pass.  This last month has shown
> that points don't mean anything.  The score has been reset 4 or 5 times.
> I will use the Gnome to further the goalsof Underworld. 

If it wasn't for that -60 rule, I'd have it. I guaged myself to come in
at about -55, but somewhere miscalulated :)

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 20:31:01 -0800
From: [email-masked] (Phil Ackley)
Subject: Acka: Voting Gnome Changes

>] Long Live Gnome,
>
>
>I will have to admit the the Voting Gnome will probably be stuck with
>us for the rest of Ackanomic.  But how about an amendment to the Voting
>Gnome?  Instead of the Gnome shifting around everytime the score
>changes, what if the Gnome buddy is chosen once at the end of the cycle.
>Then whoever had the lowest score at the end of a cycle would be the
>Buddy for the entire next cycle.  This might solve the problem.  Anyone
>disagree?
>

I am all for changing the method for selecting the Voting Gnome, so long as
we keep the actualy gnome and his speacial voting powers.  Your method
sounds good, though it could lead to some major rashes of awful proposals
(but fun ones, I'm sure) and some amzing score plummets as some player rush
to get the gnome, while others rush to get the magic number.  Some one else
(maybe /dev/joe?) had an idea for this also, but I can't remember what it
is right now.

Anyone else up for changing the gnome buddy selection method?  Any
suggestions as to how?

        01110011 01101110 01101111 01110111 01100111 01101111 01100100

    01000001 01101101 01100010 01100001 01110011 01110011 01100001 01100100
                          01101111 01110010  00101101
             01000110 01101111 01110010 01101101 01100101 01110010
                 01000011 01010011 01010010 01010010  00101101
             01000001 01100011 01110100 01101001 01101110 01100111
        01010011 01100101 01101110 01100001 01110100 01101111 01110010
   01010111 01100101 01100001 01110010 01101001 01101110 01100111  01100001
    01110000 01110010 01101111 01110011 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110100
                               01101001 01100011
    01100110 01101111 01110010 01100101 01101000 01100101 01100001 01100100
   00101101  01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01110100 01101001 01100011
    01000110 01101111 01110101 01101110 01100100 01100101 01110010 00101100
   01000011 01101000 01110101 01110010 01100011 01101000  01101111 01100110
                          01110100 01101000 01100101
    01001101 01100001 01110010 01101011 01101111 01110110 01101001 01100001
            01101110  01000100 01110010 01100101 01100001 01101101

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 7 Jul 96 0:33:56 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Re: Acka: Vote NO on 950

> But I accomplished my goal.  I now have firm control over the Voting Gnome.
> I didn't expect any of the proposals to pass.  This last month has shown
> that points don't mean anything.  The score has been reset 4 or 5 times.
> I will use the Gnome to further the goalsof Underworld. 

If it wasn't for that -60 rule, I'd have it. I guaged myself to come in
at about -55, but somewhere miscalulated :)

Malenkai
===================
You were at -55 but then appealed a CFJ which cost you 5 points :)

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 00:35:55 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 979

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Proposal 979 - Sun Jul 07 00:07:07 EDT 1996
> Amnesty is Granted
> /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
> 
> {{ All players are absolved of any A$ debts they may have to the treasury,
> and are given enough A$ from the treasury to raise their A$ total to 900,
> if it is less than that.}}

I'm sorry if I sound critical, but it seems like every time there is
a potential financial crisis, a proposal of this nature comes along
to absolve everyone of the problem. This is the third one I can recall
recently.

It seems more interesting, if everyone is low on cash, to make people
*work* their way out of the prediciment, namely with the PFBond 
dividends, which are based on score improvement. This would be extra
incentive to not be so cavalier about your score, as Wayne and I
have demonstrated means absolutely nothing in our competition for the
Gnome. It also gives us an interesting lesson about economic deflation.

It seems that if these type of proposals continue, they will promote 
incentive to spend massively on votes, invoke an economic crisis, and
get your money back. If they do not continue, the above benefits may be
gained; in addition, players may think about performing an action that
will lead to an economic crash.

Just an opinion. Vote NO for this economic amnesty. Play the crash.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 00:48:27 -0400
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Voting Gnome Changes

Phil Ackley wrote:

> Your method sounds good, though it could lead to some major rashes
> of awful proposals (but fun ones, I'm sure) and some amzing score
> plummets as some player rush to get the gnome, while others rush to
> get the magic number.

It seems that the proposal queue would fill with trash by people who
are out of it, as the cycle comes to a close. It could be interesting,
as people vote YES on the trash to prevent it from failing to thwart
the proposer's goals.

> Anyone else up for changing the gnome buddy selection method?  Any
> suggestions as to how?

I think the gnome buddy should be selected on Monday, based on the
scores then, as of midnight, -0400 (or whatever) Monday.

> (maybe /dev/joe?) had an idea for this also, but I can't remember what it
> is right now.

I belive /dev/joe's idea was that the gnome buddy's score had to be
positive, but I'm not sure.

Move this to acka-research, if there is real interest in changing the
Gnome?

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 23:57:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <devjoe>
Subject: Re: Ackanomic: Proposal 979

> > Proposal 979 - Sun Jul 07 00:07:07 EDT 1996
> > Amnesty is Granted
> > /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)
> > 
> > {{ All players are absolved of any A$ debts they may have to the treasury,
> > and are given enough A$ from the treasury to raise their A$ total to 900,
> > if it is less than that.}}

> It seems that if these type of proposals continue, they will promote 
> incentive to spend massively on votes, invoke an economic crisis, and
> get your money back. If they do not continue, the above benefits may be
> gained; in addition, players may think about performing an action that
> will lead to an economic crash.

Would you prefer if I instead made the proposal just give back all the
money taken from them by rule 666 in the 23-multiple-win thing, or would
you rather see no reprieve from the economic crisis at all?

As a side note, Mellon has his full starting complement of A$900, regardless
of how poor the rest of us may be.

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #93
******************************