Subject: Ackanomic Digest V1 #63
From: [email-masked] (Ackanomic Digest)
To: ackanomic-digest

Ackanomic Digest         Sunday, June 23 1996         Volume 01 : Number 063

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 96 3:50:07 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: Results 900-909

________________________________________________
================================================

Here are the voting results for : 900
  Proposal 900 - Mon Jun 10 00:27:19 EDT 1996
  Ackanomic runs Ackanomic
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

9 YES votes   5 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 10 points.  102 -> 92

9 YES votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai                                     92 -> 95           
  Robin Hood                                   36 -> 39           
  ThinMan                Nobs                  66 -> 69           
  De'ghew                Underworld            31 -> 34           
  Bascule                                      42 -> 45           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            15 -> 18           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            32 -> 35           
  /dev/joe               Nobs                   0 -> 3            
  Techno                 Underworld            45 -> 48           

5 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                  =  75               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   2               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  14               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  25               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  52               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =  45

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 901
  Proposal 901 - Mon Jun 10 00:27:52 EDT 1996
  No E-mail, No Game
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

15 YES votes   2 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  3 -> 13

15 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  39               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  69               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   2               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =  34               
  Bascule                                     =  45               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  18               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  35               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  13               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  48               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  14               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  25               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  52               
  Pascal                                      =  45               

2 NO votes:  5 points each
  Malenkai                                     95 -> 100          
  Dr McSpong                                   75 -> 80           

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 902
  Proposal 902 - Mon Jun 10 02:33:39 EDT 1996
  I Sage o'Doe Gas, I
  Malenkai  (Randy Hall)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

8 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Malenkai loses 10 points.  100 -> 90

8 YES votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai                                     90 -> 93           
  Niccolo Flychuck                              2 -> 5            
  Bascule                                      45 -> 48           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            18 -> 21           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            35 -> 38           
  Techno                 Underworld            48 -> 51           
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            14 -> 17           

6 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                  =  80               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  69               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  13               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  25               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  52               
  Pascal                                      =  45               

1 PRESENT votes:
  De'ghew                Underworld            =  34

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 903
  Proposal 903 - Mon Jun 10 12:23:42 EDT 1996
  Technophobia
  Bascule  (Matt Black)

Quorum met : 17 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

8 YES votes   7 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Bascule loses 10 points.  48 -> 38

8 YES votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai                                     93 -> 96           
  ThinMan                Nobs                  69 -> 72           
  De'ghew                Underworld            34 -> 37           
  Bascule                                      38 -> 41           
  /dev/joe               Nobs                  13 -> 16           
  Techno                 Underworld            51 -> 54           
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  Wayne                  Underworld            25 -> 28           

7 NO votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  39               
  Dr McSpong                                  =  80               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  21               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  38               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  17               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  52               

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =  45

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Niccolo Flychuck                            
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 904
  Proposal 904 - Mon Jun 10 13:20:53 EDT 1996
  Game vs Cycle
  ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

ThinMan gains 10 points.  72 -> 82

11 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  39               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  82               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   5               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =  37               
  Bascule                                     =  41               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  21               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  16               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  54               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  17               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  28               

4 NO votes:  5 points each
  Malenkai                                     96 -> 101          
  Dr McSpong                                   80 -> 85           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            38 -> 43           
  Mohammed               Nobs                  52 -> 57           

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =  45

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 905
  Proposal 905 - Mon Jun 10 13:32:54 EDT 1996
  Transfer of Currency
  Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

8 YES votes   7 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Wayne loses 10 points.  28 -> 18

8 YES votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai                                    101 -> 104          
  Robin Hood                                   39 -> 42           
  Bascule                                      41 -> 44           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            21 -> 24           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            43 -> 46           
  Techno                 Underworld            54 -> 57           
  Wayne                  Underworld            18 -> 21           
  Pascal                                       45 -> 48           

7 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                  =  85               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  82               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   5               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =  37               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  16               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  17               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  57               

0 PRESENT votes:

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 906
  Proposal 906 - Mon Jun 10 13:35:39 EDT 1996
  Restrictions on Points
  Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 15 players cast votes

11 YES votes   4 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

Wayne gains 10 points.  21 -> 31

11 YES votes:  
  Malenkai                                    = 104               
  Robin Hood                                  =  42               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  82               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   5               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =  37               
  Bascule                                     =  44               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  16               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  57               
  Underworld Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  17               
  Wayne                  Underworld           =  31               

4 NO votes:  5 points each
  Dr McSpong                                   85 -> 90           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            24 -> 29           
  this is not a name     (None Yet)            46 -> 51           
  Mohammed               Nobs                  57 -> 62           

1 PRESENT votes:
  Pascal                                       =  48

3 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 907
  Proposal 907 - Mon Jun 10 15:44:30 EDT 1996
  Spring Cleaning
  Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 14 players cast votes

7 YES votes   8 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Wayne loses 10 points.  31 -> 21

7 YES votes:  3 points each
  Malenkai                                    104 -> 107          
  ThinMan                Nobs                  82 -> 85           
  /dev/joe               Nobs                  16 -> 19           
  Techno                 Underworld            57 -> 60           
  Wayne                  Underworld            21 -> 24           
  Mohammed               Nobs                  62 -> 65           
  Pascal                                       48 -> 51           

8 NO votes:  
  Dr McSpong                                  =  90               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   5               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =  37               
  Bascule                                     =  44               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  29               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  51               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  17               

0 PRESENT votes:

4 ABSTENTIONS:
  Robin Hood                                  
  Brinjal                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 908
  Proposal 908 - Mon Jun 10 19:13:44 EDT 1996
  making game cycles last longer
  /dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

9 YES votes   3 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
Proposal PASSES

/dev/joe gains 10 points.  19 -> 29

9 YES votes:  
  Robin Hood                                  =  42               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  85               
  Niccolo Flychuck                            =   5               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =  37               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  51               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  29               
  Techno                 Underworld           =  60               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  65               
  Pascal                                      =  51               

3 NO votes:  5 points each
  Dr McSpong                                   90 -> 95           
  snowgod                (None Yet)            29 -> 34           
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)            17 -> 22           

1 PRESENT votes:
  Malenkai                                     = 107

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Bascule                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        
  Wayne                  Underworld           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================
Here are the voting results for : 909
  Proposal 909 - Mon Jun 10 19:14:11 EDT 1996
  amend R480
  Niccolo Flychuck  (Uri Bruck)

Quorum met : 18 eligible voters -- 13 players cast votes

2 YES votes   12 NO votes   0 PRESENT votes
Proposal FAILS

Niccolo Flychuck loses 9 points.  5 -> -4

2 YES votes:  1 point each
  Niccolo Flychuck                             -4 -> -3           
  Techno                 Underworld            60 -> 61           

12 NO votes:  
  Malenkai                                    = 107               
  Robin Hood                                  =  42               
  Dr McSpong                                  =  95               
  ThinMan                Nobs                 =  85               
  De'ghew                Underworld           =  37               
  snowgod                (None Yet)           =  34               
  this is not a name     (None Yet)           =  51               
  /dev/joe               Nobs                 =  29               
  (None Yet) Unity vote                        =   0               
  mr cwm                 (None Yet)           =  22               
  Mohammed               Nobs                 =  65               
  Pascal                                      =  51               

0 PRESENT votes:

5 ABSTENTIONS:
  Brinjal                                     
  Bascule                                     
  Calvin N Hobbes                             
  Merlin the Happy Pig                        
  Wayne                  Underworld           

Players on Vacation who did not vote:
  fon                                         
  The Great Old One                           
  chess piece face       Foozball             
  Simon Marty Harriman   Foozball             
  Foozball Unity vote                         
  Robert Sevin           Foozball             

New players who are not active:
  Kelly Martin           Nobs                 

________________________________________________
================================================

And the proposals that passed:
________________________________________________
================================================

Proposal 901 - Mon Jun 10 00:27:52 EDT 1996
No E-mail, No Game
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

All players and observers joining Ackanomic must have a valid e-mail
address reachable from the official mailing list at the time they join,
or else they may not join.

If all of a player's mail from the official mailing list sent in a period
of 3 days or longer (with a minimum of 10 messages) bounces, the Postmaster
may put that player on vacation by publicly announcing that he is doing
so, and giving the reason.  A player put on vacation in this way may not
return until email from the list can reach his address again.

If a player or observer's mail from the list bounces for a week or more
(minimum 20 messages) then the Postmaster may remove that player or observer
from the game by publicly announcing that he is doing so, and giving the
reason.  The player or observer may rejoin at a later time as usual.

[[ This is what I was going to put into the Postmaster proposal, but was
getting too complicated before, so I waited on it and made it into a
separate rule. ]]

________________________________________________
================================================

Proposal 904 - Mon Jun 10 13:20:53 EDT 1996
Game vs Cycle
ThinMan  (John Bollinger)

If a Player wins the Game according to the Rules, then the same
procedure shall occur as if he had won a cycle [currently defined
by Rule 666].  In particular, the game shall not end.  

________________________________________________
================================================

Proposal 906 - Mon Jun 10 13:35:39 EDT 1996
Restrictions on Points
Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)

No one may have thier point total or score changed for any reason, except
by methods described in the Rules.

________________________________________________
================================================

Proposal 908 - Mon Jun 10 19:13:44 EDT 1996
making game cycles last longer
/dev/joe  (Joseph DeVincentis)

[[ While I was proposing to change the proposal scoring, I figured I'd
   consolidate a few things as well.]]

1. Amend rule 207, "Scoring When A Proposal Is Adopted" as follows:
   a. Change the name to "Scoring When A Proposal's Voting Period Ends"
   b. Replace the text:

       "When a proposed rule change is adopted, those players who voted
        against it receive 5 points each.  A player whose proposed rule
        change is adopted also receives 10 points."

      with:

       "When a proposal passes, the player who proposed it receives 9
        points and every player who voted against it receives 2 points.

       "When a proposal fails, but meets quorum, the player who proposed
        it loses 9 points and every player who voted for it receives 1 point.

       "When a proposal does not meet quorum, each active player who 
        was not on vacation and abstained on the proposal shall lose
        5 points and be placed on vacation."

[[ Since we have auto-vacation, this last part is not likely to happen
   very often, so I increased the penalty.  In general, I am trying to
   put more emphasis on making proposals rather than on voting, as we had
   a player run up 250 points in a month during which he only made 6
   proposals which we didn't retract, and 2 of them failed. 

   The four rules listed below are all incorporated into the one rule above.]]

2. Repeal rule 208 "Scoring When A Proposal Is Defeated".
  [["When a proposed rule change is defeated, the player who proposed it
     loses 10 points."]]

3. Repeal rule 427, "Vice Versa".
  [["Any player voting for a proposal that does not pass will be awarded 3
     points above and beyond any other bonuses or penalties."]]

4. Repeal rule 599, "Encouraging Voting".
  [['If a quorum is not established for the voting on any proposal then:

    '(i) Each player who did not legally cast a vote on that proposal, and
     who was legally counted for the purpose of determining the quorum, shall
     lose two points.

    '(ii) No player who did legally vote on the proposal shall have his score
     adjusted as a result of the failure of the proposal.

    'This rule takes precedence over all mutable rules governing scoring.

    'If the term "active player" is defined in the rules, then every occurance
     of the word "player" in parts (i) and (ii) of this rule shall be
     interpreted as if it was "active player."']]

5. Repeal Rule 774, "Auto-Vacation".
  [["If a quorum is not met on a proposal, all players who abstained on the
     proposal shall be placed on vacation."]]

________________________________________________
================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 96 3:57:20 EDT 
From: [email-masked] ()
Subject: Acka: scores

Just to catch everyone up, here are the current scores:

107	Malenkai             A   (Randy Hall) 
95	Dr McSpong           A   (Julian Richardson) 
85	ThinMan              A   (John Bollinger) 
65	Mohammed             A   (Jason Orendorff) 
61	Techno               A   (Jerome Herrman) 
51	this is not a name   A   (Mike Epstein) 
51	Pascal               A   (Jason Reed) 
44	Bascule              A   (Matt Black) 
42	Robin Hood           A   (R Shaw) 
37	De'ghew              V   (John Spickes) 
34	snowgod              A   (Phil Ackley) 
29	/dev/joe             A   (Joseph DeVincentis) 
24	Wayne                A   (Wayne Sheppard) 
22	mr cwm               A   (Eric Murray) 
0	fon                  V   (Adrian Smith) 
0	chess piece face     V   (Paul Swan) 
0	The Great Old One    V   (Sean Crystal) 
0	Simon Marty Harriman V   (Andy Swan) 
0	Robert Sevin         V   (Mitchell Harding) 
0	Merlin the Happy Pig A   (Stephen Wilson) 
0	Kelly Martin         N   (Kelly Martin) 
0	Brinjal              A   (Simon Clarke) 
- -3	Niccolo Flychuck     V   (Uri Bruck) 
- -70	Calvin N Hobbes      A   (Thierry Joffrain) 

I need to check to see what Calvin's score should really be.  I can't
recall if the "Keep em in the Game" Rule still exists at 4 AM.

Wayne

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 03:22:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results 890-899

> Here are the voting results for : 898
>   Proposal 898 - Mon Jun 10 00:26:42 EDT 1996
>   Ack! Pfffft!

This proposal was retracted on June 11th, in the public message quoted
below:

>From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Acka: Retracting P898 (was RFC retroactivity)
>To: [email-masked]
>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:01:41 -0500 (CDT)
>In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Mohammed" at Jun 11, 96 11:07:32 am
>Content-Type: text
>Content-Length: 1057      
>Status: RO
>
>> I want to rewrite R106, if it doesn't turn out to be Too Late. First I
>> want to point out that the rule proposed by Malenkai would not be
>> prohibited by R106 if that rule were immutable; Rule 106 applies to rule
>> changes, not rules.  I want to make a stronger form of the retroactivity
>> ban:
>> 
>> < No rule change may have retroactive application.
>> 
>> to
>> 
>> > No rule may generate any effect that applies retroactively to a time
>> > before the generation of the effect, except by changing the current
>> > interpretation of the rules by creating new game custom.  A rule change
>> > may not have any effects retroactive to before its adoption.  The new game
>> > custom created by a judgement, however, applies retroactively to the
>> > situation it concerns, if any.
>
>[...]
>
>> If you think this is worthwhile, please vote against the transmutation of 
>> R106 to Immutable.  I'll write up and submit this proposal after the 
>> Festival.
>
>I think it's worthwhile, and I can do more than vote against it.  I hereby
>retract proposal 898, "Ack! Pfffft!".
>

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 03:55:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results 900-909

> ________________________________________________
> ================================================
> 
> And the proposals that passed:
> ________________________________________________
> ================================================
> 
> Proposal 904 - Mon Jun 10 13:20:53 EDT 1996
> Game vs Cycle
> ThinMan  (John Bollinger)
> 
> If a Player wins the Game according to the Rules, then the same
> procedure shall occur as if he had won a cycle [currently defined
> by Rule 666].  In particular, the game shall not end.  
> 
> 
> 
> ________________________________________________
> ================================================
> 
> Proposal 906 - Mon Jun 10 13:35:39 EDT 1996
> Restrictions on Points
> Wayne  (Wayne Sheppard)
> 
> No one may have thier point total or score changed for any reason, except
> by methods described in the Rules.

These two proposals qualify for ths "short" bonus.
Wayne, please be sure the scores are updated appropriately.

Also ensure that Techno loses 3 points by the Steel Flea rule,
as I described earlier.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:01:43 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results 890-899

> Proposal 894 - Mon Jun 10 00:25:03 EDT 1996
> Map, Creation Of
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> Let there be the Map of Ackanomia. It is a resource of Ackanomia, and
> may be owned by no single player.
> 
> The Map is a concrete representation of the abstract structure,
> location, and relationships of the (lands, buildings, residences,
> boundries with other Nomics, and other geographic entities in
> Ackanomia, and its interfaces with the Inter-Nomic realm). The
> non-existance of any of the entities mentioned in this
> paragraph in parentheses shall not be sufficient to cause
> the non-existance of the Map.
> 
> The Null Map is permissible as the Map. If the Null Map is
> being used, the officer in charge of the Map must make this
> fact public.
> 
> The officer in charge of the Map may choose any medium he or she
> desires to render it. The recommended mediums shall be HTML with
> clickable images/cgi, or VRML. The officer shall consider public
> opinion, availability, and cost of technology when making such
> a decision.
> 
> If the medium chosen allows what is now commonly referred to as 
> "links", or a similar mechanism, then the Map shall be designed
> so as to permit links to individual player's "abodes", or other
> content, so long as the medium that content is rendered in is
> compatable with the Map's medium.
> 
> If there is no officer in charge of the Map (except as follows), the
> the Web-Harfer shall have that responsibility. If there is no
> Web-Harfer, or the Web-Harfer declares that he or she does not want the
> responsibility, then no one shall have the responsibility. This clause 
> has precedence over any other mutable rule which would require the
> Speaker or anyone else to do the job.

The Null Map shall be used until I get around to updating all the other
web page stuff.  

> ________________________________________________
> ================================================
> 
> Proposal 895 - Mon Jun 10 00:25:17 EDT 1996
> Map-Harfer, Creation of
> Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> 
>       The Office of the Map-Harfer is a Functional Office. It is the
> Duty of the Map-Harfer to create and maintain the Map of Ackanomia,
> as governed by other rules. If there are no such rules, this rule shall
> lie dormant until there are.
> 

This proposal also qualifies for the "short" bonus.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:07:37 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Joseph W. DeVincentis" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Proposal result 862-869

> ================================================
> And here are the proposals that passed:
> ________________________________________________
> ================================================

> Proposal 866 - Thu Jun 06 17:14:53 EDT 1996
> No Overshooting
> ThinMan  (John Bollinger)
> 
> A new rule shall be created with the following text:
> --
> If the score of any player becomes greater than the magic number, then the
> magic number shall be increased by 16, or to 11 points above the highest
> player score, whichever is greater.
> --

Does this meet the conditions for the "short" bonus?
Rule 379, "Short is Good" says:
"Any player who makes a proposal that has less that five lines
 of text in the body of the proposal shall be awarded five points
 if the proposal passes."

Are the lines containing just "--" considered lines of text?

> ________________________________________________
> ================================================
> 
> Proposal 869 - Thu Jun 06 17:16:11 EDT 1996
> Amending 592
> ThinMan  (John Bollinger)
> 
> Rule 592 shall be ammended by replacing the phrase "in accordance with" with
> "as specified by".
> 

OK, well this one is without a doubt "short".

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 07:53:14 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results 890-899

Joseph W. DeVincentis wrote:
> 
> > Proposal 894 - Mon Jun 10 00:25:03 EDT 1996
> > Map, Creation Of
> > Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> >

> > If there is no officer in charge of the Map (except as follows), the
> > the Web-Harfer shall have that responsibility. If there is no
> > Web-Harfer, or the Web-Harfer declares that he or she does not want the
> > responsibility, then no one shall have the responsibility. This clause
> > has precedence over any other mutable rule which would require the
> > Speaker or anyone else to do the job.
> 
> The Null Map shall be used until I get around to updating all the other
> web page stuff.

I believe the Appointer should accept nominations for the job of Map-Harfer,
or however that process works. As /dev/joe pointed out, the Web-Harfer has
the job now.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 07:56:48 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Acka: Results 900-909

[email-masked] wrote:

> Here are the voting results for : 902
>   Proposal 902 - Mon Jun 10 02:33:39 EDT 1996
>   I Sage o'Doe Gas, I
>   Malenkai  (Randy Hall)
> 
> 8 YES votes   6 NO votes   1 PRESENT votes
> Proposal FAILS

You guys are heartless :(.

Malenkai

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 08:03:23 -0700
From: Malenkai <[email-masked]>
Subject: Ackanomic: CFJ 189 (snowgod)

snowgod has been chosen to judge the following. He has
3 days to accept or decline the appointment:

Clerk of the Courts

Call for Judgement 189
  Subject:  R666, take three
Initiator:  /dev/joe
    Judge:  snowgod (selected Jun 22, 1996, 08:00h New York Time)

Statement:

  Rule 666 cannot suspend Ackanomic play.

/dev/joe's Reasoning:

  Rule 112 states "The adoption of rule changes must never become
  completely inpermissible [sic]."  Rule 112 has precedence over
  Rule 666 by the numerical method, since neither takes precedence
  explicitly and both are mutable rules.  If part (a) of rule 666
  suspended Ackanomic play, then the adoption of rule changes is
  completely impermissible while parts (b) through (k) of rule 666
  are carried out.  This may only take a moment, but Rule 112 says
  "never", so rule 666 can never suspend play.

  On the other hand, I believe that if Rule 666 succeeded in suspending
  Ackanomic play, that the game ended at that moment, because the
  procedure in the rest of rule 666, including part (m) which would
  resume Ackanomic play, _is_ part of Ackanomic play.  However, we
  already have a CFJ up for judgement which states "Ackanomic play
  cannot continue" so I won't clutter up the court with another one.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 09:08:01 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Jason Reed)
Subject: Acka: Misc: *groan* 

>If a newspaper publishes an article containing any statement
>that another player considers to be untrue, that player may
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>ask for a correction to be published in the same newspaper.
>The player must voice her objection publically within a week
>of the article being published.
>
>If a correction is not published by the newspaper within a
>week of the complaint being made, or if the complainant is
>not satisfied with the correction, then she may make a
>Call for Criminal Judgement against the owner of the
>offending newspaper.

So some rouge player having intentionally unorthodox considerations of
truth can cause an honest publisher to get stuck with a CFCJ? This is
silly....

- ---Pascal

------------------------------

End of Ackanomic Digest V1 #63
******************************